Saturday, February 6, 2021

Spending time on Freedom's Road with Harriet and Sojourner while looking toward's God's North Star!

 



Good Evening Beloved Ones!

Happy Retreat weekend and our Saturday Virtual Prayer Vigil. Today on our Black History Month Pilgrimage we travel with Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman. We join them this evening imagining ourselves on the Underground Railroad.Here are today's questions: How would you feel fleeing slavery and fearing for your life? How would you feel if you had to rely upon strangers for help ( Think of Jesus, the Apostles, etc.) Would you be reluctant to offer help? Does the person's skin color matter when you need help or offer help? These are your journal questions for the next two days. Tonight we begin with quotes from Sojourner Truth and Harriett Tubman. Our lessons are from their feast days that will be celebrated later in the year. So let us begin.


"I had crossed de line of which I had so long been dreaming. I was free; but dere was no one to welcome me to de land of freedom, I was a stranger in a strange land." ~ Harriet Tubman

"And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?" ~ Sojourner Truth

"I never ran my train off the track, and I never lost a passenger." ~ Harriet Tubman

"If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back, and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them." ~ Sojourner Truth

"I was the conductor of the Underground Railroad for eight years, and I can say what most conductors can't say; I never ran my train off the track and I never lost a passenger." ~ Harriet Tubman

"I feel safe even in the midst of my enemies; for the truth is powerful and will prevail." ~ Sojourner Truth

"I was the most famous conductor on the Underground Railroad." ~ Harriet Tubman

"When I left the house of bondage I left everything behind. I wasn't going to keep nothing of Egypt on me, an' so I went to the Lord an' asked him to give me a new name. And he gave me Sojourner because I was to travel up and down the land showing the people their sins and bein' a sign unto them. I told the Lord I wanted two names 'cause everybody else had two, and the Lord gave me Truth, because I was to declare the truth to the people." ~ Sojourner Truth

"I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person." ~ Harriet Tubman

"Let ... individuals make the most of what God has given them, have their neighbors do the same, and then do all they can to serve each other. There is no use in one man, or one nation, to try to do or be everything. It is a good thing to be dependent on each other for something, it makes us civil and peaceable." ~ Sojourner Truth

"Religion without humanity is very poor human stuff." ~ Sojourner Truth

Bonus quote!

"For me, seeing our history told in this light, the ones who did rebel, the ones who did revolt, the revolutionaries, excited me. Seeing this story of the Underground Railroad ... and that is such a proud part of our history that not a lot of us know about, where these brave men and women, they were heroes, really helped tear down the system of slavery just by running." ~ Jurnee Smollett

"Then I will speak upon the ashes." ~ Sojourner Truth

Come Let us Worship.

Stay with us, Christ, for it is evening.  Make your Church bright with your radiance

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

"The Spirit calls me, and I must go." ~ Sojourner Truth


You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but citizens together with the saints and members of the household of God. Ephesians 2:19

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.

THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES - Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.


For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.




May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.



Dear ones let us light our candles and be at prayer as we begin our Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil. Tonight let us pray for peace with in ourselves and in the world. Let us pray that we may learn to love our enemies again by boldly doing things we normally wouldn't do. We need to see God's face in all of our enemies. We need to see them as children of God. We need to see them as children of family members who love them very much. We need to see them as the least of these. We need to love ourselves and yes sometimes we may be our own worst enemies. We should be able to find ways to lovingly help them when needed. This is easier said than done but maybe if we know what they need in the ways of  food, clothing, shelter, and a pair of listening ears that might be a way in which to start. We pray for all of our family members tonight as we remember that we indeed are all God's Children and the least of these!

IN LAK’ECH
Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself. 
Luis Valdez
Image result for in lak'ech
A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.



Image result for metis aboriginal ministries, smudging prayer


LITANY OF REMEMBRANCE-Prayers for Today: Manchester College, Oxford University

Almighty and eternal God, before whom stand the spirits of the living and the dead, we praise You for the wise of every land and age, and for all teachers of humanity:

We praise You, O God.

For the martyrs and faithful witnesses of whom the world was not worthy; and for all who have resisted falsehood and wrong unto suffering and death:

We praise You, O God.

For all who have labored and suffered for free choice, for good government and just laws; for all who have sought to lighten the burden of oppressed peoples in many places of the earth:

We praise You, O God.

For the dear friends and kindred of our homes whose faces we see no more, but whose love is with us forever; for the teachers and companions of our own childhood and youth, and the members of our household of faith who worked and worshipped with us:

We give thanks to You, O God.

We pray that we may hold them in continual remembrance; that their wisdom may rest upon us; and that we keep in fellowship both with the faithful and true of all ages and climes and with our beloved dead who dwell in peace:

We who now live and labor on earth unite in ascribing unto You, O God, all honor, dominion and power, worlds without end.


W.E.B. Du Bois: Prayer

In these first beginnings of the new life of the world, renew in us the resolution to persist in the good work we have begun. Give us strength of body and strength of mind and the unfaltering determination to carry out that which we know to be good and right. Forgive all wavering in the past service of Thy cause and make us strong to go for ward in spite of the doubts of our friends and our enemies and in spite of our own distrust in ourselves. Out of the death of winter comes ever and again the resurrection of spring: so out of evil bring good, O God, and out of doubt determination. Amen.

Psalm 146 Lauda, anima mea

1 Hallelujah!
Praise the Lord, O my soul! *
I will praise the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.

2 Put not your trust in rulers, nor in any child of earth, *
for there is no help in them.

3 When they breathe their last, they return to earth, *
and in that day their thoughts perish.

4 Happy are they who have the God of Jacob for their help! *
whose hope is in the Lord their God;

5 Who made heaven and earth, the seas, and all that is in them; *
who keeps his promise for ever;

6 Who gives justice to those who are oppressed, *
and food to those who hunger.

7 The Lord sets the prisoners free;
the Lord opens the eyes of the blind; *
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;

8 The Lord loves the righteous;
the Lord cares for the stranger; *
he sustains the orphan and widow,
but frustrates the way of the wicked.

9 The Lord shall reign for ever, *
your God, O Zion, throughout all generations.
Hallelujah!

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem

Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22

Before I ventured forth,

even while I was very young, *

I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.

In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *

and I will seek her to the end.

From first blossom to early fruit, *

she has been the delight of my heart.

My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *

diligently from my youth have I pursued her.

I inclined my ear a little and received her; *

I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.

To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *

for I have resolved to live according to her way.

From the beginning I gained courage from her, *

therefore I will not be forsaken.

In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *

therefore have I gained a good possession.

As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*

and with it will I offer praise to God.


Judges 9:50-55

50 Then Abimelech went to Thebez, and encamped against Thebez, and took it. 51But there was a strong tower within the city, and all the men and women and all the lords of the city fled to it and shut themselves in; and they went to the roof of the tower. 52Abimelech came to the tower, and fought against it, and came near to the entrance of the tower to burn it with fire. 53But a certain woman threw an upper millstone on Abimelech’s head, and crushed his skull. 54Immediately he called to the young man who carried his armour and said to him, ‘Draw your sword and kill me, so people will not say about me, “A woman killed him.” ’ So the young man thrust him through, and he died. 55When the Israelites saw that Abimelech was dead, they all went home.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,

my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *

for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *

you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,

and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you *

from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm *

and scattered the proud in their conceit,

Casting down the mighty from their thrones *

and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things *

and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *

for you have remembered your promise of mercy,

The promise made to our forebears, *

to Abraham and his children for ever.

Luke 11:5-10

Perseverance in Prayer

5 And he said to them, ‘Suppose one of you has a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say to him, “Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; 6for a friend of mine has arrived, and I have nothing to set before him.” 7And he answers from within, “Do not bother me; the door has already been locked, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.” 8I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs.

9 ‘So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. 10For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

A Song of True Motherhood

Julian of Norwich

God chose to be our mother in all things *

and so made the foundation of his work,

most humbly and most pure, in the Virgin’s womb.

God, the perfect wisdom of all, *

arrayed himself in this humble place.

Christ came in our poor flesh *

to share a mother’s care.

Our mothers bear us for pain and for death; *

our true mother, Jesus, bears us for joy and endless life.

Christ carried us within him in love and travail, *

until the full time of his passion.

And when all was completed and he had carried us so for joy, *

still all this could not satisfy the power of his wonderful love.

All that we owe is redeemed in truly loving God, *

for the love of Christ works in us;

Christ is the one whom we love.

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.
Or

Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever.    Amen.


 O God, whose Spirit guides us into all truth and makes us free: Strengthen and sustain us as you did your servants Elizabeth, Amelia, Sojourner, and Harriet. Give us vision and courage to stand against oppression and injustice and all that works against the glorious liberty to which you call all your children; through Jesus Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

For A Prophetic Witness in Society

 Almighty God, whose prophets taught us righteousness in the care of your poor: By the guidance of your Holy Spirit, grant that we may do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly in your sight; through Jesus Christ, our Judge and Redeemer, who lives and reigns with you and the same Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


YOU ARE MY HEALTH -Augustine

Great are You, O God, and greatly to be praised; great is Your power, and Your wisdom infinite. We who are but a particle of Your creation, praise You. You awaken us to delight in Your praise; for You made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You.

What are You then, my God? Most high, most good, most omnipo tent; most merciful, yet most just; most hidden, yet most present; most beautiful, yet most strong; stable, yet incomprehensible; unchangeable, yet all-changing; ever old, ever new; supporting, filling, and overspread ing; creating, flourishing, and maturing; seeking, yet having all things. You, O God, are my life, my joy, my health.

A LITANY OF THANKSGIVING - Howard Thurman

In Your presence, O God, we make our Sacrament of Thanksgiving.

We begin with the simple things of our days:

Fresh air to breathe,

Cool water to drink,

The taste of food,

The protection of houses and clothes,

The comforts of home.

For all these we make an act of Thanksgiving this day!

We bring to mind all the warmth of humankind that we have known:

Our mothers’ arms,

The strength of our fathers,

The playmates of our childhood,

The wonderful stories brought to us from the lives of many who

talked of days gone by when fairies and giants and diverse kinds

of magic held sway;

The tears we have shed, the tears we have seen;

The excitement of laughter and the twinkle in the eye with

its reminder that life is good.

For all these we make an act of Thanksgiving this day.

“Christ has no body now on earth but yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours,
Yours are the eyes through which to look out
Christ's compassion to the world
Yours are the feet with which he is to go about
doing good;
Yours are the hands with which he is to bless men now.” 
― Teresa of Ávila


“Let nothing disturb you, nothing frighten you, all things are passing, God is unchanging. Patience gains all; nothing is lacking to those who have God: God alone is sufficient.” 
― Teresa of Ávila

          Prayers  for The forgotten ones-Let us remember and never forget

Dear God we pray this night for all of our family members in this world who have disappeared by unjust governments. We remember all those in Argentina and all other countries where this has occur.

Lord God we pray for all  of our Family Members who have been kidnapped by human traffickers that they may be found and returned to their family members safe and sound

Lord God watch over all our family members who have run away and who haven't been in contact with their loved ones. We pray for our family members safety and comfort and consolation for their family and friends who miss and love them very much.

Lord We pray for all missing and exploited children that they may be found alive and if that isn't possible please let them be found so that their families may have resolution to these heart breaking mysteries.

Lord God we pray for all murdered family members who are in cold case files. We pray for an earnest review of these cases that there may be resolution and the criminals brought to justice.

Lord God we pray for prison and mental health reform.

We pray that all missing family members may be afforded Amber Alert Status and that the media will keep our hearts and minds focused on these dear ones.

We pray for all of us  who have been victimized by predators, assailants,  by those known and unknown to us.

We pray for safe cities, towns, roads, sidewalks, neighborhoods and all other areas where we plant our foot steps or drive to that we may be alert to danger and get the help we need.

We pray especially for all communities touched by violence remembering_____________________

We pray for the victims/ survivors of violence of any kind. remembering______________________

We pray for all countries that have been destroyed by unjust leaders remembering_______________

We pray for our elderly, disabled, memory challenged, and those with mental illness that they may be kept safe from harm.

We continue to pray for all of our family members who are beset by the extreme and cold weather. We pray for warmer temperatures that will thaw without flooding.

We remember all of our family members who have had surgery or are awaiting surgery. Remember all those who are ill and on our hearts today.

We pray for all who continue to travel in cold weather and those who will be traveling to celebrate the lives of loved ones who have entered into joy

We pray for the homeless, the lonely, the lost, the misunderstood, and our family members who feel like they are outcast and don't fit in. We remember especially Buena Vista Vince and Kimberly.

Lord God we pray and remember Kristen Smart and her family who would like resolution to Kristen's disappearance.

Lord we pray for______________________________

Lord we give thanks for__________________________

Lord we celebrate________________________________

Lord we remember especially those in the Thin Places remembering_________________ and our family members who continue to grieve and remember them.

All these prayers we send heavenward to you  O Lord knowing that you are already remembering our family members and sending people to comfort and console your children. All this we ask in the name of God the Creator, Redeemer, and Holy Comforter. Amen.

Lord God Enliven our Spirits, Quicken our Steps, Enlarge and tenderize our hearts so that we may feel  Your Living Water of Life coursing through our veins to do your will and in answer you call to love and serve all of your family O God,  in all that we do or say this day and always. Amen.

From the New Zealand Prayer Book
Song of Simeon
Nunc Dimittis

Preserve us, O God, while waking, 
and guard us while sleeping, 
that awake we may watch with Christ, 
and asleep may rest in your peace.

Praise be to God, I have lived to see this day.
God’s promise is fulfilled, and my duty done.
At last you have given me peace,
for I have seen with my own eyes 
the salvation you have prepared for all nations - 
a light to the world in its darkness, 
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory be God, sustaining, redeeming, sanctifying, 
as in the beginning, so now, and for ever. 
Amen.

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

To God the Creator, 
who loved us first and gave this world to be our home,
to God the Redeemer,
who loves us and by dying and rising 
pioneered the way of freedom, 
to God the Sanctifier, 
who spreads the divine love in our hearts, 
be praise and glory for time and for eternity.

The Wisdom of God the Love of God
and the Grace of God strengthen you to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen. (source: Celtic) 

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21 

+++++

Good Night Dear Ones! Have a blessed time of reflection and peace. I love you.

Peace , love, prayers, and God's blessings!

Sara


Resources:
A to Z Quotes
Book of Occasional Services 

Northumbria Community

Enjoy perusing this site. 

Satucket Lectionary Page (NRSV) 
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment