Saturday, June 15, 2019

A Vigil In Loving Memory of Eldri Jauch and all who have died by acts of violence!



Good Evening Beloved Community!

Tonight we join a vigil in memory of Eldri Jauch who was murdered last week. She was a member of the LGBTQ community and the Lompoc Valley Democratic Club. Her life was cut short by a suspected drug addict seeking money. This may not rise to the level of a hate crime by officials but any murder is a hate crime to me. Hate is hate. So tonight I ask that you light a candle, turn on your porch light and pray for Eldri and all who have lost their lives to violence.Take time to gaze at her picture as you pray and remember her and anyone who has been lost to violent acts of any kind.




We open our vigil with these sentences from A New Zealand Prayer Book:

The eternal God is your refuge,
and underneath are the everlasting arms. Deuteronomy 33:27

2 In my heart I know that my redeemer lives,
and at last will stand upon the earth;
and from my flesh I shall look on God
whom I shall see with my own eyes,
I myself and no other. Job 19:25-26

3 Call to remembrance, O Lord, your tender care
and the unfailing love
which you have shown from of old.
  Do not remember the sins and offences of my youth:
but according to your mercy
remember me, Lord, in your goodness.
  You O Lord are upright and good
therefore you show the path to those who go astray.
  You guide the humble to do what is right,
and those who are gentle you teach your way.
  All your ways are loving and sure
to those who keep your covenant
and your commandments. Psalm 25:5-9

4 God is our refuge and strength:
a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

5 You are full of compassion and mercy:
slow to anger and rich in kindness.
  You will not always be chiding:
nor do you keep your anger for ever.
  You have not dealt with us according to our sins:
nor punished us according to our wickedness.
  For as the heavens are high above the earth,
so great is your mercy over those who fear you.
  As far as the east is from the west,
so far have you put away our sins from us.
  As parents have compassion on their children,
so do you Lord have compassion on those who fear you.
  For you know what we are made of:
you remember that we are but dust.
  Our days are like the grass:
we flourish like a flower of the field.
  But as soon as the wind goes over it, it is gone:
and its place shall know it no more.
  But your merciful goodness O Lord
extends for ever toward those who fear you,
and your righteousness to children’s children,
  when they are true to your covenant
and remember to keep your commandments. Psalm 103:8-18

6 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
God’s mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
your faithfulness, O Lord, is great. Lamentations 3:22-23

7 How blest are the sorrowful;
they shall find consolation. Matthew 5:4

8 Jesus said, ‘Set your troubled hearts at rest.
Trust in God always; trust also in me.
  There are many dwelling places in my Father’s house;
if it were not so I should have told you;
for I am going there on purpose to prepare a place for you.
And if I go to prepare a place for you,
I shall come again and receive you to myself,
  so that where I am, you may be also;
and my way there is known to you.
  I am the way; I am the truth and I am the life;
no one comes to the Father except by me.’ John 14:1-4,6

9 No one of us lives,
and equally no one of us dies,
for self alone.
If we live, we live for the Lord;
and if we die, we die for the Lord.
This is why Christ died and came to life again,
to establish his lordship over dead and living. Romans 14:7-9

10 No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived,
what has been prepared for those who love God. 1 Corinthians 2:9

11 Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whose great mercy
we have been born anew into a living hope
by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3

12 The Lamb who is at the heart of the throne
will be their shepherd and will guide them
to the springs of the water of life;
and God will wipe all tears from their eyes. Revelation 7:17




For a death by violence
O God our Vindicator, come speedily to our help. Receive the
soul of Eldri., your child, into the arms of your mercy, and deliver
her assailant to justice, that your holy Law may be served,
and your peace renewed; through Jesus our Savior. Amen.

We light this candle in loving memory of  Eldri Jauch may she rest in peace and rise in glory. May Light Perpetual shine upon her.



Today we pray this smudging prayer as an act of cleansing and making us whole.



 A Smudging Prayer (Metis Aboriginal Ministries)
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.

We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 

We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen. 
We light additional candles with these prayers.

THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES - Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.

For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.

May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.



A Prayer for Courage by Evelyn Underhill

O Lord Christ, who in this difficult world was tempted in all things, as I am, yet fell into no sin, look pitifully, I pray you, upon me.  Guide me with your adorable wisdom.  Teach me in everything and in every hour what I ought to do.  You alone know both that I suffer and what I need.  To you, that perfect path that I should walk is known.  Show it to me and teach me how to walk it.  Keep me, O Savior, in body, mind, and spirit, for into your strong and gentle hands I commit myself.

Give me, O Lord, I beseech you, courage to pray for light and to endure the light here, where I am on this world of yours, which should reflect your beauty but which we have spoiled and exploited.  Cast your radiance on the dark places, those crimes and stupidities I like to ignore and gloss over.  Show up my pretensions, my poor little claims and achievements, my childish assumptions of importance, my mock heroism.  Take me out of the confused half-light in which I live.  Enter and irradiate every situation and every relationship.  Show me my opportunities, the raw material of love, of sacrifice, of  holiness, lying at my feet, disguised under homely appearance and only seen as it truly is, in your light.

Amen.

A prayer from The Arusha Call to Discipleship



Loving God, we thank you for the gift of life in all its diversity and beauty. Lord Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, we praise you that you came to find the lost, to free the oppressed, to heal the sick, and to convert the self-centred. Holy Spirit, we rejoice that you breathe in the life of the world and are poured out into our hearts. As we live in the Spirit, may we also walk in the Spirit. Grant us faith and courage to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus: becoming pilgrims of justice and peace in our time. For the blessing of your people, the sustaining of the earth, and the glory of your name. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

Prayers for the dead (Christian)

Eldri , go forth upon your journey from this world,
in the name of God the Father almighty who created you;
in the name of Jesus Christ who suffered death for you;
in the name of the Holy Spirit who strengthens you;
in communion with the blessed saints,
and aided by angels and archangels,
and all the armies of the heavenly host.
May your portion this day be in peace,
and your dwelling the heavenly Jerusalem. Amen



The Mourner's Kaddish (Judaism)



Glorified and sanctified be God’s great name throughout the world
which He has created according to His will.
May He establish His kingdom in your lifetime and during your days,
and within the life of the entire House of Israel, speedily and soon;
and say, Amen.
May His great name be blessed forever and to all eternity.
Blessed and praised, glorified and exalted, extolled and honored,
adored and lauded be the name of the Holy One, blessed be He,
beyond all the blessings and hymns, praises and consolations that
are ever spoken in the world; and say, Amen.
May there be abundant peace from heaven, and life, for us
and for all Israel; and say, Amen.
He who creates peace in His celestial heights,
may He create peace for us and for all Israel;
and say, Amen


Salat al-Janazah - Islam


"O God, forgive our living and our dead, those who are present among us and those who are absent, our young and our old, our males and our females. O God, whoever You keep alive, keep him alive in Islam, and whoever You cause to die, cause him to die with faith. O God, do not deprive us of the reward and do not cause us to go astray after this. O God, forgive him and have mercy on him, keep him safe and sound and forgive him, honour his rest and ease his entrance; wash him with water and snow and hail, and cleanse him of sin as a white garment is cleansed of dirt. O God, give him a home better than his home and a family better than his family. O God, admit him to Paradise and protect him from the torment of the grave and the torment of Hell-fire; make his grave spacious and fill it with light."


God as we have prayed the prayers above for the dead help us to remember that we all are formed in your image and likeness and that in the words spoken at Ash Wednesday "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return" Help us to not fear death but celebrate life. Amen. 




God of steadfast love, who led your people through the wilderness: Be with us as we remember and grieve. By your grace, lead us in the path of new life, in the company of your saints and angels; through Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the world. Amen.


I am Resurrection and I am Life, says the Lord.
Whoever has faith in me shall have life,
even though he die.
And everyone who has life,
and has committed himself to me in faith,
shall not die for ever.

As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives
and that at the last he will stand upon the earth. 
After my awaking, he will raise me up;
and in my body I shall see God.
I myself shall see, and my eyes behold him
who is my friend and not a stranger.

For none of us has life in himself,
and none becomes his own master when he dies. 
For if we have life, we are alive in the Lord, 
and if we die, we die in the Lord.
So, then, whether we live or die,
we are the Lord's possession.

 Happy from now on
are those who die in the Lord!
So it is, says the Spirit,
for they rest from their labors.
 

We remember the words of St. Francis:  

The Peace Prayer

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, the truth;
Where there is doubt, the faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.


Gracious and loving God as we meet in community this evening to pray and light candles let us remember all of our family members who do not have community, family, where loving shoulders and soft places in which to fall are available. We pray for the lost, lonely, and afraid that they may be found and brought into the family of God and wrapped in a quilt of comfort. We pray for our family members who are refugees, asylum seekers, children in foster care, children who are seeking to be adopted and all who are waiting for their forever homes wherever that may be. We pray that we may practice radical hospitality and welcome all of our family members and especially the strangers who are in our midst. We pray that we may keep our eyes on all of our loved ones and pray that no one, not one will fall through the cracks. We pray that a community of CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) may spring up around the world and especially where there is hatred, violence, terror, and division. We pray that peace, justice, and mercy may prevail upon Earth, that we may be be peacemakers and called the Children of God. Amen.

The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh: A Litany for Peace

As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.
Silence
Let us pay attention to our breathing.
Silence
Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.
Silence
Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.
Silence
Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.
Silence
Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.
Silence
Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.
Silence
Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.
Silence
Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.
Silence
With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez




Ubi Caritas

Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.



Tonight's lessons are from the feast day of Evelyn Underhill whom we celebrate today. These lessons fit Eldri perfectly
Psalm 96:7-13

7 Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples; *
ascribe to the Lord honor and power.

8 Ascribe to the Lord the honor due his Name; *
bring offerings and come into his courts.

9 Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness; *
let the whole earth tremble before him.

10 Tell it out among the nations: "The Lord is King! *
he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
he will judge the peoples with equity."

11 Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad;
let the sea thunder and all that is in it; *
let the field be joyful and all that is therein.

12 Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
before the Lord when he comes, *
when he comes to judge the earth.

13 He will judge the world with righteousness *
and the peoples with his truth.
 




Wisdom 7:24-8:1


24 For wisdom is more mobile than any motion;
because of her pureness she pervades and penetrates all things. 
25 For she is a breath of the power of God,
and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty;
therefore nothing defiled gains entrance into her. 
26 For she is a reflection of eternal light,
a spotless mirror of the working of God,
and an image of his goodness. 
27 Although she is but one, she can do all things,
and while remaining in herself, she renews all things;
in every generation she passes into holy souls
and makes them friends of God, and prophets; 
28 for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom. 
29 She is more beautiful than the sun,
and excels every constellation of the stars.
Compared with the light she is found to be superior, 
30 for it is succeeded by the night,
but against wisdom evil does not prevail.

8She reaches mightily from one end of the earth to the other,
and she orders all things well.



23 Dominus regit me
1 The Lord is my shepherd; *
I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures *
and leads me beside still waters.

3 He revives my soul *
and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.

4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no evil; *
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; *
you have anointed my head with oil,
and my cup is running over.

6 Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, *
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


Wisdom 3:1-9

New Revised Standard Version


Wisdom 3:1 
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, 
and no torment will ever touch them. 
2 In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died, 
and their departure was thought to be a disaster, 
3 and their going from us to be their destruction; 
but they are at peace. 
4 For though in the sight of others they were punished, 
their hope is full of immortality. 
5 Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good, 
because God tested them and found them worthy of himself; 
6 like gold in the furnace he tried them, 
and like a sacrificial burnt offering he accepted them. 
7 In the time of their visitation they will shine forth, 
and will run like sparks through the stubble. 
8 They will govern nations and rule over peoples, 
and the Lord will reign over them forever. 
9 Those who trust in him will understand truth, 
and the faithful will abide with him in love, 
because grace and mercy are upon his holy ones, 
and he watches over his elect.

John 4:19-24

19The woman said to him, ‘Sir, I see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshipped on this mountain, but you* say that the place where people must worship is in Jerusalem.’ 21Jesus said to her, ‘Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him. 24God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.’


Lamentations 3:22-26 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,[a]
    his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in him.”
25 The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
    to the soul that seeks him.
26 It is good that one should wait quietly

    for the salvation of the Lord.


Let us pray this lesson from Ecclesiastes:

Everything Has Its Time
3 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

2 a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
7 a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.


Matthew 5:1-10 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

The Beatitudes
5 When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 The Song of Mary    Magnificat
          Luke 1:46-55

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; *
    for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
    the Almighty has done great things for me,
    and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him *
    in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm, *
    he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, *
    and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, *
    and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel, *
    for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
The promise he made to our fathers, *
    to Abraham and his children for ever.

The settings of the Lord's Prayer from A New Zealand Prayer Book.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.
or the alternative form.
Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.


God we lift up Eldri  to you as a reminder that life is precious and that we know that you know us all by name and love us. We pray that we may come together in memory and in honor of all your children to affect positive change in this fragile and broken world that you have made. 

Help us we pray to build bridges and tear down walls. Give us strength to truly to become peacemakers and your children.

God we pray for the least of these who are homeless, hungry, without sufficient clothing and we remember especially that these are our family members who need our compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy. 

God we pray for compassionate immigration reform as we remember all refugees . We pray that all families may be kept together and remember the children who were born here are beloved citizens.

We pray for freedom to practice our faiths with out fear and the need to divide and profile us by the faith(s) we practice.

We pray for an end to all forms of violence, terror, bullying and abuse both in action and in words.


We pray for peace, unity, and justice, and remember as in the baptismal covenant  in the BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER as one of the questions " Will you strive for justice and peace among all
people, and respect the dignity of every human being?

Help us we pray that we may lay down all weaponry of hate and division and be united in heart, mind, and spirit. 

We pray for seasonable weather and a respect and conservation of God's Cathedral of Life. We pray for help reducing our carbon footprints and solutions to global warming and climate change. We pray for the care of all of our animal kingdom and all endangered species. We pray for laws banning imported ivory and all wild game hunts.

We pray  for all victims of hate, bullying, abuse, human trafficking, and all who have died because of their sexual orientation and gender. 

We pray and give thanks this day for_________________________________

We lift up these our prayers in the name of  (Place your own deity of choice here) Amen. 



Psalm 23- Bobby McFerrin

The Light and Love of Christ I hold out to you is my promise that we are family one to another this day and always. The Light of Christ in Me , Recognizes the Light of Christ in you. We lift up these our prayers in Jesus most holy name. Amen.

Dear God we sometimes cannot explain the unexplainable but that is when we must and need to have faith in you.  As we continue to walk with you on our journey may we have faith to put our feet on your holy ground and walk with love and purpose and  be your hands, feet, love, voice, arms and bodies in your world. Amen.
Here is a bonus on how to take action from a blog on 9/11

This is the day that God has called us to stop the hate and all the negativity and reunite with each other as family members and yes  that includes our enemies.  Everyone is a beloved child of God.

How do we do this and what are the rules of the road? 

As Maria says in "The Sound of Music" "Let's start from the very beginning!"

We must seek common ground and question our words, deeds, and thoughts towards each other . This is called self-examination!

We must recognize the holy in all people, places, places of worship, and in God's Cathedral of life.

We must walk like Jesus walked, Talk like Jesus talked, Love like Jesus loved.  Forgive like Jesus Forgave.

We  need to get a mirror and look at ourselves and see who God sees and who God made.

We need to look at ourselves and tell ourselves this "I love you!'

We need to begin to reacquaint ourselves with our family members and seek to not be estranged.

We need to show love for one another with generosity and care.

We need to begin to stop the hate  and violence towards all our family members who differ from us. 

We need to be practitioners of social justice, civil disobedience, and peaceful non-violent protest without fear and whenever necessary.

We need to model ourselves after God and Jesus and engage in radical love and hospitality towards everyone. 

We need to choose our words and actions rightly. 

We need to stop politicizing events such as 9/11 and come together as one.

We must sow seeds of Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy. 

We must strive to respect the dignity of every human being.

We must strive to make peace and show those who do not know how to make peace the right way with love, justice, mercy, and humility.

We must learn to be one with one another without spite and without malice.
We must love!

+++++

Good Night Dear Family of God And Love! May we never forget this day and remember that we all are one and made in the image and likeness of God!  I love you and am grateful to and for you always. 

With love and blessings!


Sara

Here is info on our Saint of the Day: Evelyn Underhill
Let us keep in mind these quotes by Evelyn Underhill:

"Love is creative. It does not flow along the easy paths, spending itself in the attractive. It cuts new channels, goes where it is needed." ~ Evelyn Underhill

"God is always coming to you in the Sacrament of the Present Moment. Meet and receive Him there with gratitude in that sacrament." ~ Evelyn Underhill

"Deliberately seek opportunities for kindness, sympathy, and patience." ~ Evelyn Underhill

"God is acting on your soul all the time, whether you have spiritual sensations or not." ~ Evelyn Underhill

"A saint is simply a human being whose soul has ... grown up to its full stature, by full and generous response to its environment, God. He has achieved a deeper, bigger life than the rest of us, a more wonderful contact with the mysteries of the Universe; a life of infinite possibility, the term of which he never feels that he has reached." ~ Evelyn Underhill

"Mysticism is the passionate longing of the soul for God." ~ Evelyn Underhill

"Grace is God himself, his loving energy at work within his church and within our souls." ~ Evelyn Underhill

"Love makes the whole difference between an execution and a martyrdom." ~ Evelyn Underhill

O God, Origin, Sustainer, and End of all creatures: Grant that your church, taught by your servant Evelyn Underhill, may continually offer to you all glory and thanksgiving, and attain with your saints to the blessed hope of everlasting life, which you have promised us by our Savior Jesus Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, now and forever. Amen.
  
Resources:
Satucket Lectionary
Bible GatewayQuote sites for prayers of the dead.
Enriching our Worship.
Book of Common Prayer
YouTube
Walk With Me On Our Journey.


Bonus prayers from Enriching Our Worship 2

For a Child Who Dies by Violence

Loving God, Jesus gathered your little ones in his arms and
blessed them. Have pity on those who mourn for N., an innocent
slaughtered by the violence of our fallen world. Be with us as we
struggle with the mysteries of life and death; in our pain, bring
your comfort, and in our sorrow, bring your hope and your
promise of new life, in the name of Jesus our Savior. Amen.
or this



God our deliverer, gather our horror and pity for the death of
your child N. into the compass of your wisdom and strength, that
through the night we may seek and do what is right, and when
morning comes trust ourselves to your cleansing justice and new
life; through Christ our Savior. Amen.
or this


God, do not hide your face from us in our anger and grief for the
death of N. Renew us in hope that your justice will roll down
like mighty waters and joy spring up from the broken ground in a
living stream; through Jesus our Savior. Amen.


For One Who has Killed
Holy God, we lift into the light of your justice N. [the one] who
has taken the life of your child N. Where our hearts are stone
return to us hearts of flesh; that grief may not swallow us up, but
new life find us through Jesus the crucified, with whom we are
raised by your power. Amen.


For Those Who Mourn
God of compassion and strength: keep safe the soul of your child
N., whose moment of pain and fear is past. Send your healing to
N. [and N.] and all who mourn, that their suffering may find
peace and resolution within your love, whose Spirit gives life in
Christ our Savior. Amen.
or this


Most loving God: the death of your Son has opened to us a new
and living way. Give us hope to overcome our despair; help us to
surrender N. to your keeping, and let our sorrow find comfort in
your care; through the name and presence of Jesus our Savior.
Amen.
or this


God, as Mary stood at the foot of the cross, we stand before you
with broken hearts and tearful eyes. Keep us mindful that you
know our pain, and free us to see your resurrection power
already at work in N.’s life. In your time, raise us from our grief
as you have raised N. to eternal life; through Jesus Christ our
Savior. Amen.
or this

Merciful God, you grant to children an abundant entrance into
your kingdom. In your compassion, comfort those who mourn
for N., and grant us grace to conform our lives to her/his innocence
and faith, that at length, united with her/him, we may
stand in your presence in the fullness of joy; for the sake of Jesus
Christ. Amen.

For a Child Dead by Suicide
Out of the depths we cry to you, merciful God, for your child N.,
dead by her/his own hand. Meet our confusion with your peace,
our anger with forgiveness, our guilt with mercy, and our sorrow
with consolation. Help us acknowledge the mystery that our lives
are hid with Christ in you, whose compassion is over all whom
you have made. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment