Sunday, April 14, 2019

Palm Sunday 2019: A Time to Ponder Many Things!





Alone thou goest forth- Peter Abelard

Alone thou goest forth,
O Lord, in sacrifice to die;
Is this thy sorrow naught to us
who pass unheeding by?

Our sins, not thine, thou bearest, Lord;
make us thy sorrow feel,
Till through our pity and our shame 
love answers love's appeal.

This is earth's darkest hour, but thou 
dost light and life restore;
Then let all praise be given thee
who livest evermore.

Grant us with thee to suffer pain 
that, as we share this hour,
Thy cross may bring us to thy joy
and resurrection power.

(Trans. Francis Bland Tucker 1895-1984)

Good Evening Dear Ones!

I cannot believe today is Palm Sunday and we are now Holy Week Pilgrims! Palms were waved, All Glory Laud and Honor was sung, and the Passion Narrative from Luke was read.Step after every powerful step has brought us to this moment. We need to ponder many things. This week we need to spend time with God and open wide our heart homes and journey with Jesus on the way to the Cross and beyond. We cannot skip steps in this incredible pilgrimage. There won't be any saints days this week. We will be journeying with the daily and eucharistic lectionaries and quotes from A to Z quotes. Tonight we have quotes to ponder from Corrie Ten Boom and N.T. Wright. So dear ones let us begin.



"Love is the strongest force in the world." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

"When Jesus wanted to explain to his disciples what his death was all about, he didn't give them a theory, he gave them a meal." ~ N. T. Wright

"If God sends us on strong paths, we are provided strong shoes." ~ Corrie Ten Boom


"If you want to know who God is, look at Jesus. If you want to know what it means to be human, look at Jesus. If you want to know what love is, look at Jesus. If you want to know what grief is, look at Jesus. And go on looking until you’re not just a spectator, but you’re actually part of the drama which has him as the central character." ~ N. T. Wright

"What a sad mistake we sometimes make when we think that God only cares about Christians." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

"True worship doesn't keep looking at its watch." ~ N. T. Wright


"God buries our sins in the depths of the sea and then puts up a sign that reads, "No fishing."" ~ Corrie Ten Boom

"Our task as image-bearing, God-loving, Christ-shaped, Spirit-filled Christians, following Christ and shaping our world, is to announce redemption to a world that has discovered its fallenness, to announce healing to a world that has discovered its brokenness, to proclaim love and trust to a world that knows only exploitation, fear and suspicion." ~ N. T. Wright

"You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

"We cannot worship the suffering God today and ignore him tomorrow. We cannot eat and drink the body and blood of the passionate and compassionate God today, and then refuse to live passionately and compassionately tomorrow. If we say or sing, as we so often do, 'Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit', we thereby commit ourselves, in love, to the work of making his love known to the world that still stands so sorely in need of it. This is not the god the world wants. This is the God the world needs." ~ N. T. Wright

"We must mirror God's love in the midst of a world full of hatred. We are the mirrrors of God's love, so we may show Jesus by our lives" ~ Corrie Ten Boom

"The call of the gospel is for the church to implement the victory of God in the world through suffering love." ~ N. T. Wright

"What you do in the present—by painting, preaching, singing, sewing, praying, teaching, building hospitals, digging wells, campaigning for justice, writing poems, caring for the needy, loving your neighbor as yourself—will last into God’s future. These activities are not simply ways of making the present life a little less beastly, a little more bearable, until the day when we leave it behind altogether. They are part of what we may call building for God’s kingdom." ~ N. T. Wright

"I thank You, Jesus, that You brought into my heart God's love through the Holy Spirit. Thank You, Father, that Your love in me is stronger than my hatred." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

"Swords don't glorify the creator-God. Love does. Self-giving love, best of all." ~ N. T. Wright

"Love is larger than the walls which shut it in." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

"The cross is the surest, truest and deepest window on the very heart and character of the living and loving God." ~ N. T. Wright


++++
Come let us worship.

God shows such love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.1 Peter 2:24

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest! Matthew 21:9

From The Northumbria Community:
This week’s Rule reflection
A Rule offers creative boundaries within which God’s loving presence can be recognized and celebrated. It does not prescribe, but invite; it does not force but guide; it does not threaten but warn; it does not instill fear but points to love. In this it is a call to freedom: freedom to love. Henri Nouwen


We come together this night as one family in humanity and God and Love. We light our candles together so that we may pray and be united in hope, joy love, and peace. We pray together that this world may learn from us that to love one another is the key to having peace prevail upon earth.
We pray this night for an end to division, hatred, racism, bigotry, and terror. We pray for our family members throughout the world especially  Syria and all nations affected by dis-ease, violence, terror, and injustice. We pray for our family members who are the least of these who are homeless, hungry, ill -clad and who feel invisible. We pray for the acutely and  chronically ill and that they may find a release from pain and suffering. We pray together as one. We pray that we may be CALM (compassionate, accepting loving, and merciful ) even when the week's stresses are just beginning. We pray that we may be everyone's soft places in which to fall when they are needed. We pray together as one and light our candles as the united family of God and Love this night and always.




I make my prayer to you, O God; * be merciful to me.
I make my prayer to you, O God; be merciful to me.
Heal my soul, for I have sinned against you:
Be merciful to me.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
I make my prayer to you, O God, be merciful to me.

V. Create in me a clean heart, O God:
R. And renew a right spirit within me.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

IN  LAK’ECH

TÚ ERES MI OTRO YO.
YOU ARE MY OTHER ME.
SI TE HAGO DAÑO A TI,
IF I DO HARM TO YOU,
ME HAGO DAÑO A MI MISMO.
I DO HARM TO MYSELF.
SI TE AMO Y RESPETO,
IF I LOVE AND RESPECT YOU,
ME AMO Y RESPETO YO.
I LOVE AND RESPECT MYSELF.
LUIS VALDEZ
 A Smudging Prayer
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.

We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 

We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen. 




CANTICLE 14

A Song of Penitence Kyrie Pantokrator

Prayer of Manasseh, 1-2, 4, 6-7, 11-15

O Lord and Ruler of the hosts of heaven, *
God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
and of all their righteous offspring:
You made the heavens and the earth, *
with all their vast array.
All things quake with fear at your presence; *
they tremble because of your power.
But your merciful promise is beyond all measure; *
it surpasses all that our minds can fathom.
O Lord, you are full of compassion, *
long-suffering, and abounding in mercy.
You hold back your hand; *
you do not punish as we deserve.
In your great goodness, Lord,
you have promised forgiveness to sinners, *
that they may repent of their sin and be saved.
And now, O Lord, I bend the knee of my heart, *
and make my appeal, sure of your gracious goodness.
I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, *
and I know my wickedness only too well.
Therefore I make this prayer to you: *
Forgive me, Lord, forgive me.
Do not let me perish in my sin, *
nor condemn me to the depths of the earth.
For you, O Lord, are the God of those who repent, *
and in me you will show forth your goodness.
Unworthy as I am, you will save me,
in accordance with your great mercy, *
and I will praise you without ceasing all the days of my life.
For all the powers of heaven sing your praises, *
and yours is the glory to ages of ages. Amen.





Psalm 118


1 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
   his steadfast love endures for ever! 


2 Let Israel say,
   ‘His steadfast love endures for ever.’ 
19 Open to me the gates of righteousness,
   that I may enter through them
   and give thanks to the Lord. 


20 This is the gate of the Lord;
   the righteous shall enter through it. 


21 I thank you that you have answered me
   and have become my salvation. 
22 The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the chief cornerstone. 
23 This is the Lord’s doing;
   it is marvellous in our eyes. 
24 This is the day that the Lord has made;
   let us rejoice and be glad in it.* 
25 Save us, we beseech you, O Lord!
   O Lord, we beseech you, give us success! 


26 Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.*
   We bless you from the house of the Lord. 
27 The Lord is God,
   and he has given us light.
Bind the festal procession with branches,
   up to the horns of the altar.* 


28 You are my God, and I will give thanks to you;
   you are my God, I will extol you. 


29 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,

   for his steadfast love endures for ever.


Isaiah 50:4-9


4 The Lord God has given me
   the tongue of a teacher,*
that I may know how to sustain
   the weary with a word.
Morning by morning he wakens—
   wakens my ear
   to listen as those who are taught. 
5 The Lord God has opened my ear,
   and I was not rebellious,
   I did not turn backwards. 
6 I gave my back to those who struck me,
   and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard;
I did not hide my face
   from insult and spitting. 

7 The Lord God helps me;
   therefore I have not been disgraced;
therefore I have set my face like flint,
   and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 
8   he who vindicates me is near.
Who will contend with me?
   Let us stand up together.
Who are my adversaries?
   Let them confront me. 
9 It is the Lord God who helps me;
   who will declare me guilty?
All of them will wear out like a garment;
   the moth will eat them up. 


Philippians 2:5-11

5Let the same mind be in you that was* in Christ Jesus, 
6 who, though he was in the form of God,
   did not regard equality with God
   as something to be exploited, 
7 but emptied himself,
   taking the form of a slave,
   being born in human likeness.
And being found in human form, 
8   he humbled himself
   and became obedient to the point of death—
   even death on a cross. 


9 Therefore God also highly exalted him
   and gave him the name
   that is above every name, 
10 so that at the name of Jesus
   every knee should bend,
   in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 
11 and every tongue should confess
   that Jesus Christ is Lord,
   to the glory of God the Father. 

Luke 19:28-40
28 After he had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.
29 When he had come near Bethphage and Bethany, at the place called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of the disciples, 30saying, ‘Go into the village ahead of you, and as you enter it you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 31If anyone asks you, “Why are you untying it?” just say this: “The Lord needs it.” ’ 32So those who were sent departed and found it as he had told them. 33As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, ‘Why are you untying the colt?’34They said, ‘The Lord needs it.’ 35Then they brought it to Jesus; and after throwing their cloaks on the colt, they set Jesus on it. 36As he rode along, people kept spreading their cloaks on the road. 37As he was now approaching the path down from the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the deeds of power that they had seen, 38saying,
‘Blessed is the king
   who comes in the name of the Lord!
Peace in heaven,
   and glory in the highest heaven!’ 
39Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, ‘Teacher, order your disciples to stop.’ 40He answered, ‘I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out.’

++++

Tonight's meditation is on the Passion Narrative According to St. Luke. Where do you see yourself in this Gospel reading. On Good Friday we will switch to John's account.


Luke: Hear the passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ, according to Luke. 
(Luke 22.14 – 23.56 or Luke 23.1–49)
Luke: Now the festival of Unleavened Bread, which is called the Passover, was near. The chief priests and the scribes were looking for a way to put Jesus to death, for they were afraid of the people. Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve; he went away and conferred with the chief priests and officers of the temple police about how he might betray Jesus to them. They were greatly pleased and agreed to give him money. So he consented and began to look for an opportunity to betray Jesus to them when no crowd was present.
Luke: Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying,
Jesus: Go and prepare the Passover meal for us that we may eat it.
Luke: They asked him,
Disciples: Where do you want us to make preparations for it?
Luke: He said to them,
Jesus: Listen: when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him into the house he enters and say to the owner of the house, ‘The teacher asks you, “Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?” ’ He will show you a large room upstairs, already furnished. Make preparations for us there.
Luke: So they went and found everything as he had told them; and they prepared the Passover meal.
Luke 22.14
Luke: When the hour came, Jesus took his place at the table, and the apostles with him. He said to them,
Jesus: I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I tell you, I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
Luke: Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he said,
Jesus: Take this and divide it among yourselves; for I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.
Luke: Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying,
Jesus: This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.
Luke: And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying,
Jesus: This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.
But see, the one who betrays me is with me, and his hand is on the table. For the Son of Man is going as it has been determined, but woe to that one by whom he is betrayed!

Luke: Then they began to ask one another, which one of them it could be who would do this. A dispute also arose among them as to which one of them was to be regarded as the greatest. But he said to them,
Jesus: The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you; rather the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.
You are those who have stood by me in my trials; and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your own faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.

Luke: And Simon Peter said to Jesus,
Peter: Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death!
Luke: Jesus said,
Jesus: I tell you, Peter, the cock will not crow this day, until you have denied three times that you know me.
Luke: Jesus said to them,
Jesus: When I sent you out without a purse, bag, or sandals, did you lack anything?
Luke: They said,
Disciples: No, not a thing.
Luke: He said to them,
Jesus: But now, the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me, ‘And he was counted among the lawless’; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled.
Luke: They said,
Disciples: Lord, look, here are two swords.
Luke: He replied,
Jesus: It is enough.
Luke: He came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples followed him. When he reached the place, he said to them,
Jesus: Pray that you may not come into the time of trial.
Luke: Then he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, knelt down, and prayed,
Jesus: Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done.
Luke: Then an angel from heaven appeared to him and gave him strength. In his anguish he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground. When he got up from prayer, he came to the disciples and found them sleeping because of grief, and he said to them,
Jesus: Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not come into the time of trial.
Luke: While he was still speaking, suddenly a crowd came, and the one called Judas, one of the twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him; but Jesus said to him,
Jesus: Judas, is it with a kiss that you are betraying the Son of Man?
Luke: When those who were around him saw what was coming, they asked,
Disciples: Lord, should we strike with the sword?
Luke: Then one of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus said,
Jesus: No more of this!
Luke: And he touched his ear and healed him. Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple police, and the elders who had come for him,
Jesus: Have you come out with swords and clubs as if I were a bandit? When I was with you day after day in the temple, you did not lay hands on me. But this is your hour, and the power of darkness!
Luke:
Then they seized him and led him away, bringing him into the high priest’s house. But Peter was following at a distance. When they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat among them. Then a servant-girl, seeing him in the firelight, stared at him and said,

Servant Girl: This man also was with him.
Luke: But he denied it, saying,
Peter: Woman, I do not know him.
Luke: A little later someone else, on seeing him, said,
Servant 2: You also are one of them.
Luke: But Peter said,
Peter: Man, I am not!
Luke: Then about an hour later still another kept insisting,
Servant 3: Surely this man also was with him; for he is a Galilean.
Luke: But Peter said,
Peter: Man, I do not know what you are talking about!
Luke: At that moment, while he was still speaking, the cock crowed. The Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said to him, ‘Before the cock crows today, you will deny me three times.’ And he went out and wept bitterly.
Now the men who were holding Jesus began to mock him and beat him; they also blindfolded him and kept asking him,

Soldiers: Prophesy! Who is it that struck you?
Luke: They kept heaping many other insults on him. When day came, the assembly of the elders of the people, both chief priests and scribes, gathered together, and they brought him to their council. They said,
Priests: If you are the Messiah, tell us.
Luke: Jesus replied,
Jesus: If I tell you, you will not believe; and if I question you, you will not answer. But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God.
Luke: All of them asked,
Priests: Are you, then, the Son of God?
Luke: He said to them,
Jesus: You say that I am.
Luke: Then they said,
Priests: What further testimony do we need? We have heard it ourselves from his own lips!
Luke 23.1
Luke:
Then the assembly rose as a body and brought Jesus before Pilate. They began to accuse him, saying,

Priests: We found this man perverting our nation, forbidding us to pay taxes to the emperor, and saying that he himself is the Messiah, a king.
Luke: Then Pilate asked him,
Pilate: Are you the king of the Jews?
Luke: He answered,
Jesus: You say so.
Luke: Then Pilate said to the chief priests and the crowds,
Pilate: I find no basis for an accusation against this man.
Luke: But they were insistent and said,
Priests: He stirs up the people by teaching throughout all Judea, from Galilee where he began even to this place.
Luke: When Pilate heard this, he asked whether the man was a Galilean. And when he learned that he was under Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him off to Herod, who was himself in Jerusalem at that time. When Herod saw Jesus, he was very glad, for he had been wanting to see him for a long time, because he had heard about him and was hoping to see him perform some sign. He questioned him at some length, but Jesus gave him no answer. The chief priests and the scribes stood by, vehemently accusing him. Even Herod with his soldiers treated him with contempt and mocked him; then he put an elegant robe on him, and sent him back to Pilate. That same day Herod and Pilate became friends with each other; before this they had been enemies.
Pilate then called together the chief priests, the leaders, and the people, and said to them,

Pilate: You brought me this man as one who was perverting the people; and here I have examined him in your presence and have not found this man guilty of any of your charges against him. Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us. Indeed, he has done nothing to deserve death. I will therefore have him flogged and release him.
Luke: Then they all shouted out together,
Crowd: Away with this fellow! Release Barabbas for us!
Luke: (This was a man who had been put in prison for an insurrection that had taken place in the city, and for murder.) 
Pilate, wanting to release Jesus, addressed them again; but they kept shouting,
Crowd: Crucify, crucify him!
Luke: A third time he said to them,
Pilate: Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no ground for the sentence of death; I will therefore have him flogged and then release him.
Luke: But they kept urgently demanding with loud shouts that he should be crucified; and their voices prevailed. So Pilate gave his verdict that their demand should be granted. He released the man they asked for, the one who had been put in prison for insurrection and murder, and he handed Jesus over as they wished.
As they led him away, they seized a man, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming from the country, and they laid the cross on him, and made him carry it behind Jesus. A great number of the people followed him, and among them were women who were beating their breasts and wailing for him. But Jesus turned to them and said,

Jesus: Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For the days are surely coming when they will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.’ Then they will begin to say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us’; and to the hills, ‘Cover us.’ For if they do this when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?
Luke:
Two others also, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus there with the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. Then Jesus said,

Jesus: Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.
Luke: And they cast lots to divide his clothing. And the people stood by, watching; but the leaders scoffed at him, saying,
Priests: He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Messiah of God, his chosen one!
Luke: The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine, and saying,
Soldiers: If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!
Luke: There was also an inscription over him, ‘This is the King of the Jews.’ One of the criminals who were hanged there kept deriding him and saying,
Criminal 1: Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us!
Luke: But the other rebuked him, saying,
Criminal 2: Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed have been condemned justly, for we are getting what we deserve for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong.
Luke: Then he said,
Criminal 2: Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
Luke: Jesus replied,
Jesus: Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.
Luke:
It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, while the sun’s light failed; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said,

Jesus: Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.
Luke: Having said this, he breathed his last. When the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God and said,
Centurion: Certainly this man was innocent.
Luke: And when all the crowds who had gathered there for this spectacle saw what had taken place, they returned home, beating their breasts. But all his acquaintances, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things.
Luke 23.49
Luke: Now there was a good and righteous man named Joseph, who, though a member of the council, had not agreed to their plan and action. He came from the Jewish town of Arimathea, and he was waiting expectantly for the kingdom of God. This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then he took it down, wrapped it in a linen cloth, and laid it in a rock-hewn tomb where no one had ever been laid. 
It was the day of Preparation, and the sabbath was beginning. The women who had come with him from Galilee followed, and they saw the tomb and how his body was laid. Then they returned, and prepared spices and ointments. On the sabbath they rested according to the commandment.
++++

Collects of the Day For Palm Sunday

Almighty and everliving God, in your tender love for the human race you sent your Son our Savior Jesus Christ to take upon him our nature, and to suffer death upon the cross, giving us the example of his great humility: Mercifully grant that we may walk in the way of his suffering, and also share in his resurrection; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (BCP)

Jesus, when you rode into Jerusalem
the people waved palms
with shouts of acclamation.
Grant that when the shouting dies
we may still walk beside you even to a cross. (ANZPB)

Almighty and everliving God,
in your tender love towards us
you sent your Son to take our nature upon him,
and to suffer death upon the cross;
grant that we may follow the example
of his great humility
and share in his glorious resurrection;
through him who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God now and for ever. (ANZPB)

Lord Jesus,
acclaimed as king,
crucified as a criminal,
teach us to accept our sufferings and triumphs
for your glory alone. (ANZPB)

Assist us mercifully, Lord God of our salvation,
to contemplate those mighty acts
by which you have given us life and immortality;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. (ANZPB)

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.

Prayers from A New Zealand Prayer Book

Be present, Spirit of God, 
within us, your dwelling place and home, 
that this house may be one where 
all darkness is penetrated by your light, 
all troubles calmed by your peace, 
all evil redeemed by your love, 
all pain transformed in your suffering, 
and all dying glorified in your risen life. Amen.


God our Creator, our centre, our friend,
we thank you for our good life, 
for those who are dear to us, 
for our dead, and for all who have helped and influenced us. 
We thank you for the measure of freedom we have, 
and the extent to which we control our lives; 
and most of all we thank you for the faith that is in us, 
for our awareness of you and our hope in you.
Keep us, we pray you, thankful and hopeful 
and useful until our lives shall end.
Amen.

From Industrial Christian Fellowship:
This week's prayer Focus
Those who work in community health
God who made all of humanity, You call your people the body of Christ and so remind us that when one part suffers, all suffer. So we pray for those who seek to bring well-being to our communities, by caring for the health of those within them. Help us to work together and through learning and teaching, caring and healing, prevention and cure to reflect your concern to bring wholeness to all people. This we pray in the name of Jesus whose touch brought healing, whose words brought comfort and whose presence brought hope. AMEN

Lord, 
it is night.

The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.

The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen.

PRAYER OF THE FARM WORKERS’ STRUGGLE
Show me the suffering of the most miserable;
So I will know my people’s plight.
Free me to pray for others;
For you are present in every person.
Help me take responsibility for my own life;
So that I can be free at last.
Grant me courage to serve others;
For in service there is" true life.
Give me honesty and patience;
So that I can work with other workers.
Bring forth song and celebration;
So that the Spirit will be alive among us.
Let the Spirit flourish anti grow;
So that we will never tire of the struggle.
Let us remember those who have died for justice;
For they have given us life.
Help us love even those who hate us;
So we can change the world.
Amen.
Written by Cesar E. Chavez, UFW Founder (1927-1993)
Cesar E. Chavez Foundation 1741 s. Harvard Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90006
213-733-6346 e-mail <chavezfdtn@igc.apc

Akhnaton: The Strength of the Earth

O living Source of Power,
Beautiful is Your dawning.

When You arise in the East,
You fill each land with beauty.

Glittering high above every land,
Your greatness is visible to all.

Though You are far away,
Your rays are upon the Earth.

Though You are high,
Your footprints are the day.

When You arise on the horizon,
You drive the darkness away.

When You send forth Your rays,
The lands are in daily festivity.

When You awaken them,
The cattle stand on their feet.

The trees and plants flourish;
Birds sing along the river.

All the animals dance on their feet
When You shine on them.

Your rays nourish every garden
As You make things live and grow.

Dawning, glittering, going and returning,
You make the season’s millions of forms.

Tribes and towns and cities all see You,
For You are the Strength of the Earth.

Joan Goodwin: To The Four Directions

Spirit of the East, spirit of air, of morning and springtime: Be with us as the sun rises, in times of beginning, times of planting. Inspire us with the fresh breath of courage as we go forth into new adventures.

Spirit of the South, spirit of fire, of noontime and summer: Be with us through the heat of the day and help us to be ever growing. Warm us with strength and energy for the work that awaits.

Spirit of the West, spirit of water, of evening and autumn: Be with us as the sun sets, and help us to enjoy a rich harvest. Flow through us with a cooling, healing quietness and bring us peace.

Spirit of the North, spirit of earth, of nighttime and winter: Be with us in the darkness, in the time of gestation. Ground us in the wisdom of the changing seasons as we celebrate the spiraling journey of our lives.

A Song of God’s Love
1 John 4:7-11
Beloved, let us love one another, *
for love is of God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, *
for God is Love.
In this the love of God was revealed among us, *
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through Jesus Christ.
In this is love, not that we loved God but that God loved us *
and sent his Son that sins might be forgiven.
Beloved, since God loved us so much, *
we ought also to love one another.
For if we love one another, God abides in us, *
and God’s love will be perfected in us.Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.
or the alternative form. From A New Zealand Prayer Book
Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

Let us pray in the words attributed to St. Francis and Teresa of Avila.
A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)
Christ Has No Body

“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”  Teresa of Avila
The Beatitudes Matthew 5:3–12
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10)

Now let us pray for peace and unity among all people and nations!

God who made us and makes us one we pray for unity among all people and nations
May we be one and love one another.


God who made us and makes us one lead us to put away all hindrances that divide us
May we be one and love one another

God who made us and makes us one give us  the courage to see you in the eyes of all who are our enemies and wish us harm.
May we be one and love one another.

God who made us and makes us one we pray for all who are ill in body, mind, and spirit. Heal them and make them whole and may we lovingly respond to their needs.
May we be one and love one another.

God who made us and makes us one we pray for the protection of those who are protesting using peaceful non-violence.
May we be one and love one another.

God who made us and makes us one we pray for the protection of all our most vulnerable family members. Help us to ourselves and you in their eyes and love them as you have taught us and to serve them as you have taught us to serve.
May we be one and love one another.

God who made us and makes us one. we give thanks for all those celebrating birthdays and anniversaries this day.

God who made us and makes us one may we be with those who are pre-grieving and mourning any loss.

God who made us and makes us one we pray for all who are dying and have died may they find loving, joy, and oneness with you in the Thin Places.

God who made us and makes us one we offer these our prayers and thanksgivings in the most Holy Name of your Son Jesus.
 May we be one and love one another. Amen.

Stay here for awhile and pray for all our family members who have unspoken prayers and remember to pray for all the families of those who seek to do evil that they may find solace and help in time of need. Remember that everyone is not excluded from our prayers even our enemies and those who wish us harm. 

Beacon Song and Service Book: The Work of the World

Wondrous giver of all things, this world is full of Your riches. We thank You for the splendor of nature and for Your bountiful provision for our human needs. May we not waste Your gifts nor needlessly ignore the welfare of others in our use of them. We seek to do our part in the work of the world, and so enter into fellowship with all who toil and all who create. We would recognize the right of every human being to share in what You give. We would help to make our planet a true home for all of Your children, where each may have an equal opportunity both for work and for the rewards of work.

Diann Neu: Blessed Be Our Hands

Blessed be the work of our hands.

Blessed be these hands that touch life.

Blessed be these hands that nurture creativity.

Blessed be these hands that hold pain.

Blessed be these hands that embrace with passion.

Blessed be these hands that tend gardens.

Blessed bed these hands that close in anger.

Blessed be these hands that plant new seeds.

Blessed be these hands that harvest ripe fields.

Blessed be these hands that clean, wash, mop, scrub.

Blessed be these hands that become knotty with age.

Blessed be these hands that wrinkle and scar from doing justice.

Blessed are these hands that reach out and are received.

Blessed are these hands that hold the promise of the future.

Blessed be the works of our hands and hearts.



Peter Marshall: FOR WORLD NEIGHBORLINESS

O God, we pray for a broader vision of the needs of humanity, and a deeper compassion to fill those needs; for a planting of the seeds of concern for all humanity in our hearts; for a tapping of the wells of generosity.

May we live together as people who have been forgiven a great debt.

May we be gentle, walking softly with one another.

May we be understanding, lest we shall add to the world’s sorrow or cause to flow needless tears.

May we be as anxious for the rights of others as we are for our own.

May we be as eager to forgive as we are to seek forgiveness.

May we know no barriers of creed or race or sex, that our love may be like Yours—a love that sees all people as Your children and our kin.

May we be ministers of humanity.

Paul Gerhardt: Evening

The duteous day now closes;
Each flower and tree reposes;
Shade creeps o’er wild and wood.
Let us, as night is falling,
On You, our Maker calling,
Give thanks to You, the Giver good.
Now all the heav’nly splendor
Breaks forth in starlight tender
From myriad worlds unknown;
And we, Your marvel seeing,
Forget our selfish being
For joy of beauty not our own.

++++
Stay here for awhile and pray for all our family members who have unspoken prayers and remember to pray for all the families of those who seek to do evil that they may find solace and help in time of need. Remember that everyone is not excluded from our prayers even our enemies and those who wish us harm. 

The Wisdom of God the Love of God and the Grace of God strengthen you to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world, in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen. (source: Celtic) 

The Wisdom of God the Love of God and the Grace of God strengthen you to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world, in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen. (source: Celtic) 

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21
Good Night Dear Holy Week Pilgrims! I love you! Rest well. Jesus has a lot of things for us to do this week. You'll never know where he will want you to place your feet, hearts, hands, and voices. 

Peace,

Sara



In case you have trouble sleeping or are stressed out give these a try.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.


++++
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that God is Love.
Be still and know that You are Love.
Be sill and know that I Am Love.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Slowly inhale.
Hold.
Slowly exhale
Pause. Count to 10.


Breathing Exercises with Thich Nhat Hanh

“*Breathing in, I know this is my in-breath.
Breathing out, I know this is my out-breath.*

It's very simple, but very effective. When we bring our attention to our in-breath and our out-breath, we stop thinking of the past; we stop thinking of the future; and we begin to come home to ourselves...Don't think this practice doesn't apply to you. If we don't go home to ourselves, we can't be at our best and serve the world in the best way... Our quality of being is the foundation for the quality of our actions.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of my whole body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of my whole body.*

Breathing mindfully brings us back to our bodies. We have to acknowledge our bodies first because tension and suffering accumulate in the body. Breathing in this way, we create a kind of family reunion between mind and body. The mind becomes an embodied mind.
...We can't do our best if we don't know to release the tension and pain in ourselves. 

*Breathing in, I'm aware of the tension in my body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of the tension in my body.*

When we look at the suffering around us, at poverty, violence, or climate change, we may want to solve these things immediately. We want to do something. But to do something effectively and ethically, we need to be our best selves in order to be able to handle the suffering...
*Breathing in, I am aware of a painful feeling arising.
Breathing out, I release the painful feeling.*

This is a nonviolent and gentle way to help our bodies release tension and pain. It is possible to practice mindful breathing in order to produce a feeling of joy, a feeling of happiness. When we are well-nourished and know how to create joy, then we are strong enough to handle the deep pain within ourselves and the world.”
― Thich Nhat HanhGood Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society
The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh: A Litany for Peace


As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.
Silence
Let us pay attention to our breathing.
Silence
Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.
Silence
Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.
Silence
Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.
Silence
Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.
Silence
Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.
Silence
Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.
Silence
Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.
Silence
With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.

+++++++



Homework from Walk2Connect:




Make a loose commitment to NOT drive anywhere within ONE MILE of your home or workplace. Replace practical trips to the grocery store, post office, neighborhood park, recreation center, local cafe and more by walking. It roughly only takes 15-20 minutes to walk for one mile.

Some of the many benefits to this behavior change:– Sift through thoughts and tasks of the day
– Connect with neighbors, family and friends
– Burn calories
– Reduce vehicle costs and emissions
– Improve neighborhood safety with more eyes on the streets
– Build new relationships with local business owners
– Take in fresh air and nature
– Connect to change in seasons, cloud color, sunsets and neighborhood gardens

Resources:
Walk With Me On Our Journey
YouTube
Book Of Common Prayer
Bible Gateway
Satucket Lectionary
Lectionary Page
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
World Healing Prayers
Harvard Square Library - Prayers for Today and Prayers of Power
A to Z quotes
A New Zealand Prayer Book

Previous Blogs:
An Evening meditating on the Words of Stephen Hawking and Helen Keller! Let us gather together as one!

An Evening of Meditating on the words of The Rev. Dr. James H. Cone- Reflecting upon difficult matters!


Meditating with the words of Cesar Chavez! Day II of our journey with notable social justice family members!

Walk With Me On Our Journey Salutes Dolores Huerta! Today's notable social justice family member!

Meditating on the words of Jacques Yves Cousteau our Notable Social Justice Family Member of the Day!

An Evening meditating on the Words of Jane Goodall our Social Justice Family Member Honoree!


Earth Month Wisdom:Let us hear the words of Ansel Adams and John Muir on God's Cathedral of Life!







Today's Readings

O Lord, in your goodness you bestow abundant graces on your elect: Look with favor, we entreat you, upon those who in these Lenten days are being prepared for Holy Baptism, and grant them the help of your protection; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


Daily:

AM Psalm 137:1-6(7-9), 144; PM Psalm 42, 43
Jer. 31:27-34Rom. 11:25-36John 11:28-44 or 12:37-50

Eucharistic:


Psalm 85:1-7
Ezekiel 37:21-28John 11:45-53


Tomorrow's Readings:

Almighty God, whose most dear Son went not up to joy but first he suffered pain, and entered not into glory before he was crucified: Mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross, may find it none other than the way of life and peace; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Daily


April 15, Monday in Holy Week:

Psalm 36:5-11;
Isaiah 42:1-9Hebrews 9:11-15John 12:1-11
 

No comments:

Post a Comment