Friday, August 9, 2019

An evening of retreat preparation and words of wisdom from Thich Nhat Hanh, The Dalai Lama, and Desmond Tutu




Good Evening Beloved Community!

As I sit here tonight following another vigil after many mass shootings, I am at a loss for words. I'm trying to find them but I can't without heartbreak and tears. So what does your sister and blogger do at times such as these? I pause, reflect, pray, and act. I'm encouraging all of us to do this, and at the same time hold our large extended family close in the bonds of CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy). We only have one psalm and Gospel lesson this day. But first let us spend time in quiet reflection as we prepare for our weekend retreat. This would be a good time to do our Worry Free Sabbath Work into our jars, journals, or boxes. So let us begin.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


“*Breathing in, I know this is my in-breath.
Breathing out, I know this is my out-breath.*

It's very simple, but very effective. When we bring our attention to our in-breath and our out-breath, we stop thinking of the past; we stop thinking of the future; and we begin to come home to ourselves...Don't think this practice doesn't apply to you. If we don't go home to ourselves, we can't be at our best and serve the world in the best way... Our quality of being is the foundation for the quality of our actions.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of my whole body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of my whole body.*

Breathing mindfully brings us back to our bodies. We have to acknowledge our bodies first because tension and suffering accumulate in the body. Breathing in this way, we create a kind of family reunion between mind and body. The mind becomes an embodied mind.

...We can't do our best if we don't know to release the tension and pain in ourselves. 

*Breathing in, I'm aware of the tension in my body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of the tension in my body.*

When we look at the suffering around us, at poverty, violence, or climate change, we may want to solve these things immediately. We want to do something. But to do something effectively and ethically, we need to be our best selves in order to be able to handle the suffering...

*Breathing in, I am aware of a painful feeling arising.
Breathing out, I release the painful feeling.*



This is a nonviolent and gentle way to help our bodies release tension and pain. It is possible to practice mindful breathing in order to produce a feeling of joy, a feeling of happiness. When we are well-nourished and know how to create joy, then we are strong enough to handle the deep pain within ourselves and the world.” 
― Thich Nhat HanhGood Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society

I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel; my heart teaches
me, night after night. I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not fall. Psalm 16:7, 8
If your heart has peace, nothing can disturb you.
Dalai Lama


Jesus said, “I am the light of the world; whoever follows me
will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
John 8:12

Today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly, live.
Dalai Lama


Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my
redeemer. Psalm 19:14


You have to start giving first and expect absolutely nothing.

Dalai Lama


Thus says the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity,
whose name is Holy,” I dwell in the high and holy place and
also with the one who has a contrite and humble spirit, to
revive the spirit of the humble and to revive the heart of the
contrite.” Isaiah 57:15



With visible breath I am walking.
A voice I am sending as I walk.
In a sacred manner I am walking.
With visible tracks I am walking.
In a sacred manner I walk.
bringing the sacred pipe - white buffalo maiden

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and from the

Lord Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:2

Jesus said, "You are the light of the world. A city built on a 
hill cannot be hid. No one lights a lamp to put it under a 
bucket, but on a lamp-stand where it gives light for everyone 
in the house. And you, like the lamp, must shed light among 
your fellow men, so that they may see the deed you do, and 
give glory to your Father in heaven."    Matthew 5:14-16

It is not ourselves that we proclaim; we proclaim Christ 
Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your servants, for Jesus' sake. 
For the same God who said, "Out of darkness let light shine," 
has caused his light to shine within us, to give the light of r
evelation—the revelation of the glory of God in the face of 
Jesus Christ.    2 Corinthians 4:5-6

If I say, "Surely the darkness will cover me, and the light 
around me turn to night," darkness is not dark to you, O 
Lord; the night is as bright as the day; darkness and light to 
you are both alike.    Psalm 139:10-11

Let us pray.

Almighty God, we give you thanks for surrounding us, as 
daylight fades, with the brightness of the vesper light; and we 
implore you of your great mercy that, as you enfold us with 
the radiance of this light, so you would shine into our hearts 
the brightness of your Holy Spirit; through Jesus Christ our 
Lord. Amen.

Grant us, Lord, the lamp of charity which never fails, that it 
may burn in us and shed its light on those around us, and 
that by its brightness we may have a vision of that holy City, 
where dwells the true and never-failing Light, Jesus Christ 
our Lord. Amen.

O Lord God Almighty, as you have taught us to call the 
evening, the morning, and the noonday one day; and have 
made the sun to know its going down: Dispel the darkness of 
our hearts, that by your brightness we may know you to be 
the true God and eternal light, living and reigning for ever 
and ever. Amen.


Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy 
great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this 
night; for the love of thy only Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ. 
Amen.

Eternal God, who led your ancient people into freedom by a
pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night: Grant that 
we who walk in the light of your presence may rejoice in the 
liberty of the children of God; through Jesus Christ our Lord. 
Amen.

Love one another,
for love is of God,
and whoever loves is born of God and knows God.
Spirit of God, search our hearts.


We pray to the great Spiritual Power in which
we live and move and have our being.
We pray that we may at all times
keep our minds open to new ideas and shun dogma;
that we may grow in our understanding of the nature of all living beings
and our connectedness with the natural world;
that we may become ever more filled with
generosity of spirit and true compassion and love for all life;
that we may strive to heal the hurts that we have inflicted on nature
and control our greed for material things, knowing that
our actions are harming our natural world and the future of our children;
that we may value each and every human being
for who he is, for who she is,
reaching to the spirit that is within,
knowing the power of each individual to change the world.

We pray for social justice,
for the alleviation of the crippling poverty
that condemns millions of people around the world
to lives of misery - hungry, sick, and utterly without hope.
We pray for the children who are starving,
who are condemned to homelessness, slave labor, and prostitution,
and especially for those forced to fight, to kill and torture
even members of their own family.
We pray for the victims of violence and war,
for those wounded in body and for those wounded in mind.
We pray for the multitudes of refugees, forced from their homes to alien places
through war or through the utter destruction of their environment.

We pray for suffering animals everywhere,
for an end to the pain caused by scientific experimentation,
intensive farming, fur farming, shooting, trapping,
training for entertainment, abusive pet owners,
and all other forms of exploitation
such as overloading and overworking pack animals,
bull fighting, badger baiting, dog and cock fighting and so many more.

We pray for an end to cruelty,
whether to humans or other animals,
for an end to bullying, and torture in all its forms.
We pray that we may learn the peace that comes with forgiving
and the strength we gain in loving;
that we may learn to take nothing for granted in this life;
that we may learn to see and understand with our hearts;
that we may learn to rejoice in our being.

We pray for these things with humility;
We pray because of the hope that is within us,
and because of a faith in the ultimate triumph of the human spirit;
We pray because of our love for Creation, and because of our trust in God.
We pray, above all, for peace throughout the world.

prayer for world peace - dr. jane goodall

Let us go to the central candle and light ours from it. 



As we light our candles let us begin with the prayers for candlelighting.



O Gracious Light    Phos hilaron

O gracious light, 
pure brightness of the everliving Father in heaven, 
O Jesus Christ, holy and blessed!

Now as we come to the setting of the sun, 
and our eyes behold the vesper light, 
we sing your praises, O God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

You are worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, O Giver of Life, 
and to be glorified through all the worlds.




It is time for our nightly Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil!
Let's light our candles and be at prayer. This night let us pray that we may put God's commandments to love God, one another, ourselves, and our enemies into action. We pray for the needs of this fragile and broken world. We pray for conservation of God's Cathedral of Life that sustains all living things. We pray that we may endeavor to be and bring  the light and love to this troubled nation of ours and continue to to pray and wisely consider the words of the prophet Micah:
He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?







A Smudging Prayer -From Metis Aboriginal Ministries
 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.



IN LAK’ECH


Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.


Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,


Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.


Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,


Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez



“Transformation begins in you, wherever you are, whatever has happened, however you are suffering. Transformation is always possible. We do not heal in isolation. When we reach out and connect with one another—when we tell the story, name the hurt, grant forgiveness, and renew or release the relationship—our suffering begins to transform.” 
― Desmond Tutu, The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path for Healing Ourselves and Our World

"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen

"We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." ~ Thurgood Marshall


From the Arusha Call to Discipleship

Loving God, we thank you for the gift of life in all its diversity and beauty. Lord Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, we praise you that you came to find the lost, to free the oppressed, to heal the sick, and to convert the self-centred. Holy Spirit, we rejoice that you breathe in the life of the world and are poured out into our hearts. As we live in the Spirit, may we also walk in the Spirit. Grant us faith and courage to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus: becoming pilgrims of justice and peace in our time. For the blessing of your people, the sustaining of the earth, and the glory of your name. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.
+++

Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for thse who abuse you. Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return; for God is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. 
Be merciful as your father is merciful. Judge not and you will not be judged. Condemn not and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. 
Give and it will be given to you; for the measure you give will be the measure you receive. From Luke 6:27-38

From the Resistance Prays!
God, make us aware and keep us vigilant in the face of injustices.
Do not let us believe that gun violence is okay.
Do not let us believe that white supremacy is the norm.
Do not let us believe that terrorism happens only overseas.
Do not let us look away when bodies of color are murdered,
but white American terrorists are taken away only in handcuffs.
Make us vigilant, God of all humanity, in the face of hatred.
Let our voices rise over the “thoughts and prayers” of politicians.
Let our hearts be changed so we are moved to action.
Let our actions speak of your justice in the world.
Let all those who mourn this day know that you mourn alongside them.
God, make us agents of change in a world filled with hatred to one where your light overtakes the selfishness of white supremacy and terrorism.
Amen.


A Song of Christ’s Goodness
Anselm of Canterbury
Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.
Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.
You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.
Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.
Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.
Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.
Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.
In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.





88 Domine, Deus

1 O Lord, my God, my Savior, *
by day and night I cry to you.

2 Let my prayer enter into your presence; *
incline your ear to my lamentation.

3 For I am full of trouble; *
my life is at the brink of the grave.

4 I am counted among those who go down to the Pit; *
I have become like one who has no strength;

5 Lost among the dead, *
like the slain who lie in the grave,

6 Whom you remember no more, *
for they are cut off from your hand.

7 You have laid me in the depths of the Pit, *
in dark places, and in the abyss.

8 Your anger weighs upon me heavily, *
and all your great waves overwhelm me.

9 You have put my friends far from me;
you have made me to be abhorred by them; *
I am in prison and cannot get free.

10 My sight has failed me because of trouble; *
Lord, I have called upon you daily;
I have stretched out my hands to you.

11 Do you work wonders for the dead? *
will those who have died stand up and give you thanks?

12 Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave? *
your faithfulness in the land of destruction?

13 Will your wonders be known in the dark? *
or your righteousness in the country where all is forgotten?

14 But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help; *
in the morning my prayer comes before you.

15 Lord, why have you rejected me? *
why have you hidden your face from me?

16 Ever since my youth, I have been wretched and at the point of death; *
I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.

17 Your blazing anger has swept over me; *
your terrors have destroyed me;

18 They surround me all day long like a flood; *
they encompass me on every side.

19 My friend and my neighbor you have put away from me, *
and darkness is my only companion.

13    A Song of Praise    Benedictus es, Domine 
          Song of the Three Young Men, 29-34

Glory to you, Lord God of our fathers; * 
    you are worthy of praise; glory to you. 
Glory to you for the radiance of your holy Name; * 
    we will praise you and highly exalt you for ever.

Glory to you in the splendor of your temple; * 
    on the throne of your majesty, glory to you. 
Glory to you, seated between the Cherubim; * 
    we will praise you and highly exalt you for ever.

Glory to you, beholding the depths; * 
    in the high vault of heaven, glory to you. 
Glory to you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; * 
    we will praise you and highly exalt you for ever.


Matthew 16:24-28

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. 26For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life?

27 ‘For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done. 28Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.’

he Song of Mary Magnificat
Luke 1:46-55
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; *
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him *
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm, *
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, *
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, *
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel, *
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
The promise he made to our fathers, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as It was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


Today’s prayer is attributed to Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu adapted from an original prayer by Sir Francis Drake.
Disturb us, O Lord
when we are too well-pleased with ourselves 
when our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little, 
because we sailed too close to the shore.
Disturb us, O Lord
when with the abundance of things we possess, 
we have lost our thirst for the water of life 
when, having fallen in love with time, 
we have ceased to dream of eternity 
and in our efforts to build a new earth, 
we have allowed our vision of Heaven to grow dim.
Stir us, O Lord
to dare more boldly, to venture into wider seas 
where storms show Thy mastery, 
where losing sight of land, we shall find the stars.
In the name of Him who pushed back the horizons of our hopes 
and invited the brave to follow.
Amen

The Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10

“After all, we are created in the image of a God who is a diversity of persons who exist in ineffable unity. This” 
― Desmond TutuAn African Prayer Book

Holy God, we bless your Name for Herman, joyful North Star of Christ's Church, who brought the Good News of Christ's love to your people in Alaska; and we pray that, following his example and admonition, we may love you, God, above all; through Jesus Christ, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, throughout all ages. Amen.

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

“Our God is a God who has a bias for the weak, and we who worship this God, who have to reflect the character of this God, have no option but to have a like special concern for those who are pushed to the edges of society, for those who because they are different seem to be without a voice. We must speak up on their behalf, on behalf of the drug addicts and the down-and-outs, on behalf of the poor, the hungry, the marginalized ones, on behalf of those who because they are different dress differently, on behalf of those who because they have different sexual orientations from our own tend to be pushed away to the periphery. We must be where Jesus would be, this one who was vilified for being the friend of sinners.” 
― Desmond TutuGod Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time


Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)

Christ Has No Body

Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks

Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion on this world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

“We must be ready to learn from one another, not claiming that we alone possess all truth and that somehow we have a corner on God.” 
― Desmond Tutu


“It is through weakness and vulnerability that most of us learn empathy and compassion and discover our soul.” 
― Desmond TutuGod Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time




Jesus we thank you for showing us how to rest and pray. Help us to not rush and be in a hurry each day that we live, move, or just be. You showed your disciples that they needed to stop the glorification of busy. May we do the same with your help. 

Help us to rest and pray O God.

Jesus we thank  you for showing us how to love others by including and welcoming them to the table.

Help us to love and be welcoming O God.

Jesus we thank you for our many loved ones who now rest with You , God, and the Holy Spirit in the Thin Places.

Help us to know that death isn't to be feared but a part of the holy life cycle. 

Jesus we thank you for your healing hands that you are laying on each of us every day and especially upon those who are ill.

Help us to feel your healing touch and receive it with grace and thanksgiving.

Jesus help us not to be afraid to love but love fearlessly and with joy. 

Help us to show love and say the words I love you often without fear.

May all of our family members know the healing power of  your love and may we love God, our neighbors, and ourselves equally beyond all measure. 

Help us to show the world how to love and be inclusive and that wars may cease and a circle of love, joy, hope, and peace may prevail upon Earth and in our hearts.

Jesus we lift up these our prayers and thanksgivings to you. May we add any other prayers and those on behalf of others now and lay them at your feet and in your loving arms. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

Or

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.


The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

God’s Blessing be with you,
Christ’s peace be with you,
the Spirit’s outpouring be with you,
now and always. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

Each day we will add a prayer from our Modern Mystics and Spiritual Guides from other Faiths ! 


A MORNING PRAYER FROM THE DALAI LAMA

“Today I am fortunate to be alive.
I have a precious human life;
I am not going to waste it.
“Today I am fortunate to be alive.
I have a precious human life;
I am not going to waste it.
I am going to use all my energies to develop myself,
to expand my heart out to others,
to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings.
I am going to have kind thoughts towards others.
I am not going to get angry or think badly about others.
I am going to benefit others as much as I can.”
– The 14th Dalai Lama
The Nine Prayers by Thich Nhat Hanh


May I be peaceful, happy, and light in body and spirit.



May I be free from injury. May I live in safety.



May I be free from disturbance, fear, anxiety, and worry.



May I learn to look at myself with the eyes of understanding and love.



May I be able to recognize and touch the seeds of joy and happiness in myself.



May I learn to identify and see the sources of anger, craving, and delusion in myself.



May I know how to nourish the seeds of joy in myself every day.

From Desmond Tutu


“VICTORY IS OURS Goodness is stronger than evil; Love is stronger than hate; Light is stronger than darkness; Life is stronger than death; Victory is ours through Him who loves us. DESMOND TUTU” 
― Desmond TutuAn African Prayer Book



++++++++

Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness. – Desmond Tutu

Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning. – Desmond Tutu

We are each made for goodness, love and compassion. Our lives are transformed as much as the world is when we live with these truths. – Desmond Tutu

I certainly know that I would not be able to survive if it were not for the fact that I am being upheld by the prayers of so many people. – Desmond Tutu

God’s dream is that you and I and all of us will realize that we are family, that we are made for togetherness, for goodness, and for compassion. – Desmond Tutu

I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights. – Desmond Tutu

In God’s family, there are no outsiders, no enemies. – Desmond Tutu


God’s love is too great to be confined to any one side of a conflict or to any one religion. – Desmond Tutu
God is not upset that Gandhi was not a Christian, because God is not a Christian! All of God’s children and their different faiths help us to realize the immensity of God. – Desmond Tutu
Hate has no place in the house of God. – Desmond Tutu
The God who existed before any religion counts on you to make the oneness of the human family known and celebrated. – Desmond Tutu

Lots of love and blessings! 


Sara
P.S. a final quote from Desmond Tutu!

Bishop Desmond Tutu on UBUNTU
Desmond Tutu: "We are all connected. What unites us is our common humanity. I don't want to oversimplify things - but the suffering of a mother who has lost her child is not dependent on her nationality, ethnicity or religion. White, black, rich, poor, Christian, Muslim or Jew - pain is pain - joy is joy. In Southern Africa we have a concept called Ubuntu - which is that you can't exist as a human being in isolation. You can't be human all by yourself. We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas what you do, what I do, affects the whole world. Taking that a step further, when you do good, it spreads that goodness; it is for the whole of humanity. When you suffer or cause suffering, humanity is diminished as a result."

Resources:

Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship
New Zealand Prayer Book
Quote Sites for Desmond Tutu, 
  Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama
Walk With Me On Our Journey. 
Other Sources as Noted



No comments:

Post a Comment