Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Wisdom Wednesday: An evening meditating on the words of Rosa Parks and Gene Roddenberry!




God our rock and refuge: keep us safe in your care and
strengthen us with your grace, that we may pray to you faithfully
and love one another boldly, following the example of Jesus, who
with you and the Holy Spirit lives for ever and ever. Amen.
(source: Veronese Sacramentary


Good Evening Family!


Happy Wisdom Wednesday today is the Feast Day of St. James of Jerusalem. We celebrate him as we celebrate two people who have taught us to "Boldly Go!", Rosa Parks and Gene Roddenberry. They were two beautiful people who went past many borders and boundaries in order to bring change to this world and even into "Space the final frontier!" We ponder quotes by these people along with quotes on fairness because St. James of Jerusalem was known as James the Just. So let us begin!


"you must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right." ~ Rosa Parks

"If man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a delight, part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"It is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"To bring about change, you must not be afraid to take the first step. We will fail when we fail to try." ~ Rosa Parks

"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"Character is made up of core moral principles called the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, caring, fairness and citizenship. Each of these virtues are independently important but together they provide the foundation for a worthy life." ~ Michael Josephson


"I believe there is only one race - the human race." ~ Rosa Parks


"We are on a journey to keep an appointment with whatever we are." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


"People have said over the years that the reason I did not give up my seat was because I was tired. I did not think of being physically tired. My feet were not hurting. I was tired in a different way. I was tired of seeing so many men treated as boys and not called by their proper names or titles. I was tired of seeing children and women mistreated and disrespected because of the color of their skin. I was tired of Jim Crow laws, of legally enforced racial segregation." ~ Rosa Parks


"The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"There is no true peace without fairness, truth, justice and solidarity." ~ Pope John Paul II


"Stand for something or you will fall for anything. Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground." ~ Rosa Parks


"PICARD: There is no greater challenge than the study of philosophy. WESLEY: But William James won't be in my Starfleet exams. PICARD: The important things never will be. Anyone can be trained in the mechanics of piloting a starship. WESLEY: But Starfleet Academy PICARD: It takes more. Open your mind to the past. Art, history, philosophy. And all this may mean something." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"Being good is easy, what is difficult is being just." ~ Victor Hugo

"I am leaving this legacy to all of you...to bring peace, justice, equality, love and a fulfillment of what our lives should be. Without vision, the people will perish, and without courage and inspiration, dreams will die - the dream of freedom and peace." ~ Rosa Parks


"Star Trek was an attempt to say that humanity will reach maturity and wisdom on the day that it begins not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"Children learn what they live.
If a child lives with criticism... he learns to condemn.
If he lives with hostility... he learns to fight.
If he lives with ridicule... he learns to be shy.
If he lives with shame... he learns to be guilty.
If he lives with tolerance... he learns confidence.
If he lives with praise... he learns to appreciate.
If he lives with fairness... he learns about justice" ~ Dorothy Nolte


"What really matters is not whether we have problems, but how we go through them. We must keep going on to make it through whatever we are facing." ~ Rosa Parks




"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other. And all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up - man, we're going to be something!" ~ Gene Roddenberry


"Peace cannot exist without justice, justice cannot exist without fairness, fairness cannot exist without development, development cannot exist without democracy, democracy cannot exist without respect for the identity and worth of cultures and peoples." ~ Rigoberta Menchu


"One person can change the world." ~ Rosa Parks


"It is the struggle itself that is most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will not reach our ultimate goal. The effort itself yields its own reward." ~ Gene
Roddenberry


"We are all different. Yet we are all God's children. We are all united behind this country and the common cause of freedom, justice, fairness, and equality. That is what unites us." ~ Barbara Boxer


"Nothing in the Golden Rule says that others will treat us as we have treated them. It only says that we must treat others in a way that we would want to be treated." ~ Rosa Parks


"For Star Trek proves, as faulty as individual episodes could be, is that the much-maligned common man and common woman has an enormous hunger for brotherhood. They are ready for the twenty-third century now, and they are light-years ahead of their petty governments and their visionless leaders." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest." ~ Elie Wiesel


"I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free... so other people would be also free." ~ Rosa Parks




"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." ~ Gene Roddenberry


"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men and women are created equal." ~ Elizabeth Cady Stanton


"As long as people use tactics to oppress or restrict other people from being free, there is work to be done." ~ Rosa Parks


"All virtue is summed up in dealing justly." ~ Aristotle


"There is work to do; that is why I cannot stop or sit still. As long as a child needs help, as long as people are not free, there will be work to do. As long as an elderly person is attacked or in need of support, there is work to do. As long as we have bigotry and crime, we have work to do." ~ Rosa Parks


"Rise above principle and do what is right." ~ Walter Heller


Come let us worship.

Do not ask anxiously, What are we to eat? What are we to drink? What shall we wear? The whole world runs after such things. Set your heart and mind on God’s commonwealth and justice first, and all the rest will come to you as well. So do not be anxious about tomorrow. Today has enough problems of its own; tomorrow can look after itself.Matthew 6:31-34

"I learned to put my trust in God and to see Him as my strength. Long ago I set my mind to be a free person and not to give in to fear. I always felt that it was my right to defend myself if I could. I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear." ~ Rosa Parks

How good and pleasant a thing it is when God’s people live together in unity. Psalm 133:1


"I believe we are here on the planet Earth to live, grow up and do what we can to make this world a better place for all people to enjoy freedom." ~ Rosa Parks

The risen Christ appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 1 Corinthians 15:7

"Every day before supper and before we went to services on Sundays. My grandmother would read the Bible to me, and my grandfather would pray. We even had devotions before going to pick cotton in the fields. Prayer and the Bible, became a part of my everyday thoughts and beliefs. I learned to put my trust in God and to seek Him as my strength." ~ Rosa Parks

You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, that you may declare the wonderful deeds of the one who called you out of darkness into God’s marvelous light.1 Peter 2:9

"Since I have always been a strong believer in God, I knew that He was with me, and only He could get me through that next step" ~ Rosa Parks

But you, my friends, must build yourselves up on the foundation of your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.Jude 20

"I do the very best I can to look upon life with optimism and hope and looking forward to a better day." ~ Rosa Parks

Know what is the hope to which God has called you, what are the riches of the glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of God’s power in us who believe.Ephesians 1:18–19

"I will always work for human rights for all people." ~ Rosa Parks

These are they who have put off mortal clothing and have put on the immortal, and have confessed the name of God; now they are being crowned, and receive palms.2 Esdras 2:45

A Christian is one who points at Christ and says, ‘I can’t prove a thing, but there’s something about His eyes and His voice. There’s something about the way He carries His head, His hands, the way He carries His cross – the way He carries me.’


Frederick Buechner

"We all do better, when we all do better." ~ Paul Wellstone

"Never separate the life you live from the words you speak." ~ Paul Wellstone

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.



God of all love we come together tonight to accept your call to light our candles and pray. We pray this night to be loving towards one another. We pray this night for guidance in how we can best serve you in the world. We pray that we may be more giving of ourselves to others. We pray that we may be able to be hopeful and hope-filled to this fragile and broken world. We pray that we may shine your light and help people out of the dark places they find themselves in. We pray that we may be supportive in what ever decisions people make,  We pray for the least of these who struggle with the day to day issues of living. We pray that everyone will be lovingly included and not excluded and invisible. We pray that we may be peacemakers and children of God. We pray that we may "Strive for justice, and respect the dignity of every human being"* We pray that we may build bridges and tear down walls. We pray for the courage to speak truth to power. We pray for an end to hatred, violence and terror. We pray that we may use our voices not to hurt but to heal. We pray this night that we all may be one and that we may continue to pray for ___________ and all places where terror and violence have occurred even when the media fails to report it. May we all be one with those who mourn and stand vigil for the peace of the world and in the places where there is danger. God we lift up these prayers to you with hurting hearts, open hands up lifted, with loving care and voices. Amen.
We light our candles and turn on our porch lights and make vigil and pray for our nation and the world during this Season of Ubuntu .





How good and pleasant a thing it is when God’s people live together in unity. Psalm 133:1

"We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." ~ Thurgood Marshall

"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen


A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez


God of unchangeable power, when you fashioned the world the morning stars sang together and the host of heaven shouted for joy; open our eyes to the wonders of creation and teach us to use all things for good, to the honor of your glorious name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (source: A New Zealand Prayer Book, p. 569)





My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think that I am following Your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please You
does in fact please You.
And I hope that I have that desire
in all that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road
although I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust You always,
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death,
I will not fear, for You are ever with me,
and will never leave me
to face my perils alone.
Thomas Merton

We continue to pray and remember to pray for our neighbors:

 Our Neighbors are The Family of God  who are in the following prayers and I invite you pray for them daily: 
Jesus help us to remember who our neighbor is by praying for our family members below.


Women
Men
Children
Enemies
Refugees, immigrants of any kind
Caregivers
Those who don't share your political or religious beliefs
LGBTQ family members 
Elderly
Family members with whom we are estranged
Everyone
The sick and the suffering
The mentally ill and memory challenged
Those living with H.I. V./ A.I.D.S
Everyone
Those who have caused you harm or abused you
Those who hate you or you hate ( Not acceptable)
Those who have forgiven you and those whom you have forgiven
Everyone
Those who do not share the same ethnicity or race as you
Political prisoners
Prisoners of war
Those who cause terror, violence, bullying, and do unspeakable things. 
Everyone
Jews
Christians
Muslims
Buddhists
Hindus
All faith communities 
Everyone
Indigenous peoples
Victims of Human Trafficking
Everyone
Cancer patients, 
Chronically ill
The disabled 
The poor
The homeless
The hungry
 The lonely,
The lost,
The unemployed
The farm worker
Everyone
The misunderstood
The learning disabled
The marginalized
The invisible ones
The least of these
Everyone
The family of nations and all the peoples of God's world!

Jesus we pray for all of our family members nearby,stranger, and enemy and in particular those mentioned about that we may love one another as you have loved us . May we strive to be better at loving, accepting, and including everyone. We know that in  Your world all means all and not some. May we continue to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you to the end of our days and beyond. Amen.


From the Resistance Prays


We know that the whole creation is groaning together and suffering labor pains up until now. And it’s not only the creation. We ourselves who have the Spirit as the first crop of the harvest also groan inside as we wait to be adopted and for our bodies to be set free. - Romans 8:22-23


Holy God, you call us to trust you and to work for the end of suffering of all creation. Remind us that we are all of us connected. Call us into holy work, so that all people may have a world that is healthy and safe. Amen.


“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here I am. Send me!’” – Isaiah 6:8

Lord, we hear you calling. But our ears and hearts are weary from wandering so long in this wilderness. Refresh our spirits and ignite our souls. May we burn with your passion for justice and truth. May we truly believe your will shall still be done, not at some distant time, but right here, right now. And let us take part in its fulfillment. Amen.


Tonight we focus on the readings for the Feast Day of St. James of Jerusalem without the canticles.


122 Lætatus sum

1 I was glad when they said to me, *
"Let us go to the house of the Lord."

2 Now our feet are standing *
within your gates, O Jerusalem.

3 Jerusalem is built as a city *
that is at unity with itself;

4 To which the tribes go up,
the tribes of the Lord, *
the assembly of Israel,
to praise the Name of the Lord.

5 For there are the thrones of judgment, *
the thrones of the house of David.

6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: *
"May they prosper who love you.

7 Peace be within your walls *
and quietness within your towers.

8 For my brethren and companions' sake, *
I pray for your prosperity.

9 Because of the house of the Lord our God, *
I will seek to do you good."


Isaiah 65:17-25

The Glorious New Creation

17 For I am about to create new heavens
and a new earth;
the former things shall not be remembered
or come to mind.
18 But be glad and rejoice for ever
in what I am creating;
for I am about to create Jerusalem as a joy,
and its people as a delight.
19 I will rejoice in Jerusalem,
and delight in my people;
no more shall the sound of weeping be heard in it,
or the cry of distress.
20 No more shall there be in it
an infant that lives but a few days,
or an old person who does not live out a lifetime;
for one who dies at a hundred years will be considered a youth,
and one who falls short of a hundred will be considered accursed.
21 They shall build houses and inhabit them;
they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 They shall not build and another inhabit;
they shall not plant and another eat;
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be,
and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
23 They shall not labour in vain,
or bear children for calamity;*
for they shall be offspring blessed by the Lord—
and their descendants as well.
24 Before they call I will answer,
while they are yet speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together,
the lion shall eat straw like the ox;
but the serpent—its food shall be dust!
They shall not hurt or destroy
on all my holy mountain,
says the Lord.


Hebrews 12:12-24


12 Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees,13and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.

14 Pursue peace with everyone, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. 15See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble, and through it many become defiled. 16See to it that no one becomes like Esau, an immoral and godless person, who sold his birthright for a single meal.17You know that later, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent,* even though he sought the blessing* with tears.

18 You have not come to something* that can be touched, a blazing fire, and darkness, and gloom, and a tempest, 19and the sound of a trumpet, and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that not another word be spoken to them. 20(For they could not endure the order that was given, ‘If even an animal touches the mountain, it shall be stoned to death.’21Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, ‘I tremble with fear.’) 22But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, 23and to the assembly* of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.


Matthew 10:16-22

16 ‘See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. 17Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; 18and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. 19When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; 20for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 21Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; 22and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.



Matthew 13:54-58

54 He came to his home town and began to teach the people* in their synagogue, so that they were astounded and said, ‘Where did this man get this wisdom and these deeds of power? 55Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all this?’ 57And they took offence at him. But Jesus said to them, ‘Prophets are not without honour except in their own country and in their own house.’ 58And he did not do many deeds of power there, because of their unbelief.


Acts 15:12-22

12 The whole assembly kept silence, and listened to Barnabas and Paul as they told of all the signs and wonders that God had done through them among the Gentiles. 13After they finished speaking, James replied, ‘My brothers,* listen to me. 14Simeon has related how God first looked favourably on the Gentiles, to take from among them a people for his name. 15This agrees with the words of the prophets, as it is written,
16 “After this I will return,
and I will rebuild the dwelling of David, which has fallen;
from its ruins I will rebuild it,
and I will set it up,
17 so that all other peoples may seek the Lord—
even all the Gentiles over whom my name has been called.
Thus says the Lord, who has been making these things 18known from long ago.”*
19Therefore I have reached the decision that we should not trouble those Gentiles who are turning to God, 20but we should write to them to abstain only from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from whatever has been strangled* and from blood. 21For in every city, for generations past, Moses has had those who proclaim him, for he has been read aloud every sabbath in the synagogues.’
The Council’s Letter to Gentile Believers


22 Then the apostles and the elders, with the consent of the whole church, decided to choose men from among their members* and to send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They sent Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leaders among the brothers,


1 Corinthians 15:1-11


The Resurrection of Christ


15Now I should remind you, brothers and sisters,* of the good news* that I proclaimed to you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand, 2through which also you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message that I proclaimed to you—unless you have come to believe in vain.


3 For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, 4and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters* at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died.* 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8Last of all, as to someone untimely born, he appeared also to me. 9For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace towards me has not been in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them—though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 11Whether then it was I or they, so we proclaim and so you have come to believe.


Collects of the Day
Grant, O God,
that following the example of your servant James,
the brother of our Lord,
your Church may give itself continually
to prayer and to the reconciliation
of all who are at variance and enmity;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

God of revelation and reform,
we thank you for James
and his change from unbelief
to knowing Jesus, his brother, as Saviour,
and dying for his faith.
Grant that when we are wrong
we may trust you enough to change.
to the honour of your holy name.
Amen.


Grant, O God, that following the example of your servant James the Just, brother of our Lord, your Church may give itself continually to prayer and to the reconciliation of all who are at variance and enmity; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and ever. Amen.


Pray for these times of conflict

O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us, in the
midst of our struggles for justice and truth, to confront one another
without hatred or bitterness, and to work together with mutual
forbearance and respect; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.





Pray for those who influence public opinion

Almighty God, you proclaim your truth in every age by many voices:
Direct, in our time, we pray, those who speak where many listen and
write what many read; that they may do their part in making the heart
of this people wise, its mind sound, and its will righteous; to the honor
of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.






God of love we pray that we may be more loving to You, our neighbors/ family members, and ourselves. Grant us courage every day to be more kind, more loving, more peace making, and more compassionate. May we be more, more, more,.......


God of love, we pray for all our missing and exploited family members that they may be safely returned into the loving arms of their families.


God of love, we pray for all who are ill and most especially children who have chronic illnesses.


God of love, we continue to pray for an end to violence, war, terror, and anything that draws us away from being the loving family of God you made us to be.


God of love, we continue to pray for the people and cities and lands where violence has occurred , that as they grieve they may feel your loving and healing arms around them.


God of love, we pray for peace in this fragile and broken world and that we may raise up leaders who are peacemakers and not warmongers. May they do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you O, God.


God of love, shower upon us rains that will cleanse and heal your drought parched lands


God of love, love we pray for all the many faith leaders and communities that need help in becoming loving and accepting of one another.


God of love, help us to lay down all our fears, worries, anxieties that may cause us dis-ease and mistrust of persons, facts, and lead us to extreme and dangerous thinking and actions.


God of love we entrust these our prayers,thanksgivings, remembrances, and celebrations for our selves and on behalf of others remembering especially_______ to You Lord God and in the Name of your only son Jesus. Amen.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.






In the Evening

O Lord, support us all the day long, until the shadows
lengthen, and the evening comes, and the busy world is
hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done.
Then in thy mercy, grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest,
and peace at the last. Amen.


Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those
who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever. Amen.






St. Teresa's Bookmark

Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything. Whoever has God lacks nothing. God alone suffices.




Christ has no body- St. Teresa of Avila

Christ has no body now on earth but yours; no hands but yours; no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which the compassion of Christ must look out on the world. Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which He is to bless His people.




Matthew 5:1-12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
The Beatitudes



5 When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:


3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.


5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.


6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.


7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.


8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.


9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.


10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.


Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of our fathers, creator
of the changes of day and night, giving rest to the weary,
renewing the strength of those who are spent, bestowing
upon us occasions of song in the evening. As you have
protected us in the day that is past, so be with us in the
coming night; keep us from every sin, every evil, and every
fear; for you are our light and salvation, and the strength
of our life. To you be glory for endless ages. Amen.


Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake
we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.






Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;


For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:


A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.


Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.






All repeat the Antiphon





Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake
we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.






Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely
more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to him from
generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus
for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21






This Rite of Compline may be added.
Wednesday – The Felgild Compline -From The Northumbria Community
Felgild lived in the late seventh century. After Cuthbert died, Ethilwald took his place as hermit on the Inner Farne. Twelve years later, having never left the island, he also died. Felgild was the next hermit to come there, but the rigours of his life in the cell aggravated a swelling on his face. The condition was suddenly healed, allowing him to continue the life of a solitary.
This Compline is dedicated to him because he represents so many whose names we never hear who faithfully follow the example of good men and women of old, continuing their battle against the powers of evil and in their devotion to prayer.

If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.

+ (silently)

Calm me, O Lord, as You stilled the storm.
Still me, O Lord, keep me from harm.
Let all the tumult within me cease.
Enfold me, Lord, in Your peace.

* Father, bless the work that is done,
and the work that is to be.

* Father, bless the servant that I am,
and the servant that I will be.

Thou Lord and God of power,
shield and sustain me this night.

I will lie down this night with God,
and God will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with Christ,
and Christ will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with the Spirit,
and the Spirit will lie down with me;
God and Christ and the Spirit,
be lying down with me.

* The peace of God
be over me to shelter me,

* under me to uphold me,

* about me to protect me,

* behind me to direct me,

* ever with me to save me.

The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always.
Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)

++++

Good Night Dear Family. Know that you are loved, matter, and are precious in God's sight. I love you all very much. I give thanks to God for you this day and always.

Peace, Love, and Grateful Appreciation!
Sara





Resources:


Enriching Our Worship 1

Book of Common Prayer

Northumbria Community

A to Z Quotes

Walk With Me On Our Journey

Satucket Lectionary

Metis Aboriginal Ministries for Smudging prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment