Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Wisdom Wednesday! Lots to pray and meditate upon!





Good Evening Dear Family!

I hope all is well. Last evening was Take Care Tuesday and I did just that. Lots to process in this difficult and ever changing time. We are back on schedule. Tonight I would like us to focus on bits and pieces of wisdom from Lady Julian and Albert Camus. But first let us begin with "The Be Stills"

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


"Where do we begin? Begin with the heart." ~ Julian of Norwich

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." ~ Albert Camus


"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well." ~ Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes, carrying on, just carrying on, is the superhuman achievement." ~ Albert Camus

"Pray, even if you feel nothing, see nothing. For when you are dry, empty, sick or weak, at such a time is your prayer most pleasing to God, even though you may find little joy in it. This is true of all believing prayer." ~ Julian of Norwich

"You will never be able to experience everything. So, please, do poetical justice to your soul and simply experience yourself." ~ Albert Camus

"He [Jesus] did not say, 'You will never have a rough passage, you will never be over-strained, you will never feel uncomfortable,' but he did say, 'You will never be overcome." ~ Julian of Norwich

"The tragedy is not that we are alone, but that we cannot be. At times I would give anything in the world to no longer be connected by anything to this universe of men." ~ Albert Camus

"Between God and the soul there is no between." ~ Julian of Norwich

"I know of only one duty, and that is to love." ~ Albert Camus

"Every act of kindness and compassion done by any man for his fellow Christian is done by Christ working within him." ~ Julian of Norwich

"A loveless world is a dead world." ~ Albert Camus

"God loved us before he made us; and his love has never diminished and never shall." ~ Julian of Norwich

"I know that man is capable of great deeds. But if he isn't capable of great emotion, well, he leaves me cold." ~ Albert Camus  (The Plague)

"Love was without beginning, is, and shall be without ending." ~ Julian of Norwich

"On certain mornings, as we turn a corner,
an exquisite dew falls on our heart
and then vanishes.
But the freshness lingers, and this, always,
is what the heart needs.
The earth must have risen in just such a light
the morning the world was born." ~ Albert Camus

"God is our clothing, that wraps, clasps and encloses us so as to never leave us." ~ Julian of Norwich

"We do not know how to eliminate evil, but we do know how to feed some of the hungry and heal some of the infirmed." ~ Albert Camus


"Cheerful givers do not count the cost of what they give." ~ Julian of Norwich

“The evil in the world comes almost always from ignorance, and goodwill can cause as much damage as ill-will if it is not enlightened. People are more often good than bad, though in fact that is not the question. But they are more or less ignorant and this is what one calls vice or virtue, the most appalling vice being the ignorance that thinks it knows everything and which consequently authorizes itself to kill. The murderer's soul is blind, and there is no true goodness or fine love without the greatest possible degree of clear-sightedness.” 
― Albert Camus, The Plague

“But what does it mean, the plague? It's life, that's all.” 
― Albert Camus, The Plague

“There have been as many plagues as wars in history; yet always plagues and wars take people equally by surprise.” 
― Albert Camus, The Plague

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

How
In this time we turn our thoughts to how we can
touch and be touched,
love and be loved,
forgive and be forgiven,
heal and be healed,
so that the goodness of our lives is a shared blessing.

-Marta M. Flanagan

Invocation

Nameless One—of many names
Eternal—and ever-changing One
Who is found nowhere—but appears everywhere
Beyond—and within all.

Timeless—circles of the seasons,
Unknowable mystery—known by all.
Lord of the Dance—Mother of all life:

Be radiant with us,—
Engulf us with Your love,
See with our eyes,
Hear with our ears,
Breathe with our nostrils,
Touch with our hands,
Kiss with our lips,
Open our hearts!

That we may live free at last
Joyful in the single song
Of all that is, was, or ever shall be!

– Starhawk

God of Many Names

God of many names
Who has no beginning and no end
Who is male and female and neither one
who serves and is served
who creates and is created
who binds the world together and tears it apart

God of many names
Touched and untouchable
Mysterious and answering all mystery
Out reaching and all-embracing
Apart from and part of all
God of many names
We acknowledge your presence
Now and forever
Here and everywhere

– Jonaly Johnstone

Do not ask anxiously, What are we to eat? What are we to drink? What shall we wear? The whole world runs after such things. Set your heart and mind on God’s commonwealth and justice first, and all the rest will come to you as well. So do not be anxious about tomorrow. Today has enough problems of its own; tomorrow can look after itself. Matthew 6:31-34

The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart O God you will not despise. Psalm 51:17

Create in me a clean heart O God: and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

Jesus said: ‘I am the living bread which came down from heaven; whoever eats of this bread, will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.’ John 6:51

We do not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4

Unless a grain of wheat falls on the ground and dies, it remains a single grain; but, if it dies, it yields a rich harvest. John 12:24

Far be it from me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world. Galatians 6:14

If we claim to be sinless, we are self-deceived, and strangers to the truth. If we confess our sins God is just, and may be trusted to forgive our sins, and cleanse us from every kind of wrong. 1 John 1:8, 9




Prayers from Augustine of Hippo

OUR HEARTS ARE RESTLESS

Everlasting God, in whom we live and move and have our being: You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You.

EXCELLENCE

Dear God, I seek to know You, to love You, to rejoice in You. If I cannot do these perfectly, may I at least advance to higher degrees each day until I come more nearly to approach perfection. God of truth, may my knowledge of You increase; may my love of You grow every day more and more; may my joy in You become full.

FIRE AND LIGHT

O Fire that always burns, and never goes out, kindle me!
O Light which ever shines, illuminate me!

FOR STRENGTH

O God, the deathless hope of all, we rejoice that You support us both when little and even to gray hairs. When our strength is of You, it is strength indeed; but when our own only, it is feebleness. With You are refreshment and true strength.

A PERSONAL PRAYER

O God, the Light of the heart that sees You,
The Life of the soul that loves You,
The Strength of the mind that seeks You:
May I ever continue to be steadfast in Your love.
Be the joy of my heart;
Take all of me to Yourself, and abide therein.

The house of my soul is, I confess, too narrow for You.
Enlarge it that You may enter.
It is ruinous, but do repair it.
It has within it what must offend Your eyes;
I confess and know it,
But whose help shall I seek in cleansing it but Yours alone?

To You, O God, I cry urgently.
Cleanse me from secret faults.
Keep me from false pride and sensuality
That they not get dominion over me.

INVOCATION

O Love of God, descend into my heart;
Enlighten the dark corners of this neglected dwelling,
And scatter there Your cheerful beams.
Dwell in the soul that longs to be Your temple;
Water that barren soil overrun with weeds and briars
And lost for lack of cultivating.
Make it fruitful with Your dew.

Come, dear Refreshment of those who languish;
Come, Star and Guide of those who sail amidst tempests.
You are the Haven of the tossed and shipwrecked.
Come now, Glory and Crown of the living,
As well as the Safeguard of the dying.
Come, Sacred Spirit;
Come, and make me fit to receive You.

YOU ARE OUR LIFE

O God, who so cares for every one of us as if You cared for each one alone; and so for all, as if all were but as one. You are the Life of our lives. You are constant through all change. Blessed are all who love You.

WE SEEK YOU

O my God, Light of the blind and Strength of the weak; yes, also Light of those that see and Strength of the strong: we turn and seek You, for we know You are here in our hearts when we converse with You; when we cast ourselves upon You; when we weep, and You do gently wipe away our tears, and also when we weep for joy because You who made us does remake and comfort us. Grant that we may entirely love You, even unto the end.

GIFTS

Thanks be to You, O Creator and Governor of the universe, for my well-being through the years since I arrived at birth. Thanks be to You, my joy, my confidence, my God, for the gifts by which You have preserved me and enabled me to grow.

TOO LATE

Too late came I to love You, O Beauty both ancient and ever new; too late came I to love You. Behold! you were within me, and I was out of myself searching for You. You, indeed, were with me, but I was not with You. You called to me; yes, You even broke open my deafness. Your beams shined unto me and cast away my blindness. You blew upon me, and I drew in my breath and panted after You. I tasted You, and now I hunger and thirst for You. You touched me, and I ever burn again to enjoy Your peace.

Anonymous Prayers

SUFFERERS

Dear God, who ever feels the pain of the world: we are grateful that You enfold all sick and suffering persons with Your love, that in the midst of pain we may find Your presence. We are thankful to family and friends, to doctors and nurses who seek to give health again in body and soul.

STRENGTH

God of our days and our nights, brace us and hearten us as we face our daily duties. In our hours of weariness and discouragement, You save us from self-pity. In our moments of achievement, You keep us humble. So may we worthily fulfill our tasks and meet the duties of our day.

FOR LIFE MORE ABUNDANT

Gracious God, we pray that we may help to feed the hungry, clothe the needy, heal the sick, and better enable Your children everywhere to live a more abundant life.

++++

LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES - Anonymous

Lest I forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest I forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest I forget You, the God of our forebears who is our God also: I light this candle of remembrance.



For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work: I light this candle of consecration.



May each flame upon the altar of freedom’s faith shine in our hearts always, reminding us of the fearful places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in moments of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.


FIRE AND LIGHT -Augustine

O Fire that always burns, and never goes out, kindle me!
O Light which ever shines, illuminate me!

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Anselm: We Bring Our Troubles

We bring before You, O God:
The troubles and perils of people and nations,
The sighings of the sick,
The sorrows of the bereaved,
The necessities of strangers,
The helplessness of the weak,
The despondency of the weary,
The failing powers of any age.
May each of us draw as near to You
As You are near to each of us.

Let us light our candles and be at prayer for the peace of our minds, hearts, and world. We pray for peace among all of our family members and that fear and hate may be vanquished and that we may learn to be compassionate, accepting, loving, and merciful to all. We pray for all leaders and that they may in the words of the prophet Micah "Do Justly, Love Mercy, and walk humbly with God" We pray that they may seek to know what being a true servant leader is all about and not just for power grabs and and agendas that are designed to divide and not unite. We pray that we all may know that we are called to serve and care for the least of these and love our neighbors who are our family members and that when God means we love our neighbors he means all of them not some. We pray these prayers this night and always. Amen.


IN LAK’ECH
Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez


                         




"We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." ~ Thurgood Marshall


"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen


A Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.

Amen.


Confession of Need

Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.

May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.




Anonymous prayers continue

THE GRACE TO LISTEN

O God, as I grow in experience, I pray I may keep from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Release me from craving to try to straighten out everyone’s affairs. Give me the grace to listen to the tales of others’ pains, but seal my lips to my own increasing aches and pains since my love of rehearsing them grows stronger as the years go by. Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to become a sour old person. May I be thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. With my growing store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all—but You know, O God, that I don’t want to lose all my friends!

SLOW ME DOWN…YET ALSO

Slow me down, O God. Ease the pounding of my heart by the quieting of our mind.

Yet also, wake me up. Shake the complacency out of my soul by opening my mind to the cry of the wounded, the refugees wandering without homes, the homeless at home, and the children who starve.

Steady my hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time;

Yet also, quicken my steps with a vision of the urgent action now required to cure the causes of stunted growth, premature death, battered women, and abused children.

Give me, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlasting hills;

Yet also, alert my eyes not to the comforting illusion of constancy divorced from change, but rather to such sharp reality as deep poverty surrounding us at home and abroad.

Break the tensions of my nerves and muscles with the soothing music of the singing streams;

Yet also, give me amid the calm days of our years, a soul which is prepared to cope with the confusion occurring amidst new creation in the cities and the countries of the earth.

Help me to know the magical, restoring power of sleep;

Yet also, break the chains of euphoria deluding me to think that I am acting responsibly when I do no more than listen to music which protects my feet from marching.

Remind me of the fable of the hare and the tortoise, that I may know that there is more to life than increasing its speed;

Yet also, remind me of the fable of the astrologer who fell plumb to the bottom of a well, not seeing his feet while reading the sky.

Slow me down, O God, and inspire me to send my roots deep into the soil of life’s enduring values, that I may grow more surely toward the stars;

Yet also, wake me up, so our eyes may see the people around me and my arms may be open to embrace the suffering who cry.

PRAYER OF A PARENT

Now that the children are asleep, dear God, I am tired and would spend a half hour in stillness. May my burning heart feel Your ever-renewing power. May my clouded spirit be lost in the clarity of Your wisdom. May I not be annoyed by the little things of life. You give me a large view, a sense of proportion, so I can truly judge what is important, what is not. I turn to You for strength to be a fine parent to my children, knowing how to help them to unfold their dreams, as well as to care for their bodies. May they grow up healthy, creatively affirming life.

YOU

You are the path and the God that paths never reach. You feed and sustain all that we see. You are the trembling grass and the tiger that creeps over it. You are the light in sun and moon, and the sounds fading into silence. You are the sanctity of sacred books. You are the good that destroys evil.



From the Resistance Prays

"Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. Nothing accursed will be found there any more." Revelation 22:1-3a

God, in the beginning, you moved across the waters. Move among us, move us, help us move into ways of thinking and being that are collective; move us to dismantle the systems that keep people un-housed and poor and undocumented and without access to healthcare. Let us practice mutual aid, yes, but let us also pick up our hammers and destroy these systems whose weaknesses are more apparent than ever. Help us move through this apocalypse with courage, wisdom, and grace. Amen. 



"For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed." - Malachi 3:6

May we who are merely inconvenienced
Remember those whose lives are at stake.
May those who have no risk factors 
Remember those most vulnerable.
May we who have the luxury of working from home 
Remember those who must choose between preserving their health or making their rent.
May we who have the flexibility to care for our children when their schools close 
Remember those who have no options. 
. . . . . .
May we who settle in for a quarantine at home 
Remember those who have no home.
As fear grips our country,
let us choose love.
During this time when we cannot physically wrap our arms around each other, 
Let us yet find ways to be the loving embrace of God to our neighbors. 
Amen. 

Prayer by Cameron Belm, “Krug the Thinker,” from The Fellowship of Reconciliation’s Prayers for a Pandemic

Wednesday CanticlesThe Song of Hannah
1 Samuel 2:1-8
My heart exults in you, O God; *
my triumph song is lifted in you.
My mouth derides my enemies, *
for I rejoice in your salvation.
There is none holy like you, *
nor any rock to be compared to you, our God.
Do not heap up prideful words or speak in arrogance; *
Only God is knowing and weighs all actions.
The bows of the mighty are broken, *
but the weak are clothed in strength.
Those once full now labor for bread, *
those who hungered now are well fed.
The childless woman has borne sevenfold, *
while the mother of many is forlorn.
God destroys and brings to life, casts down and raises up; *
gives wealth or takes it away, humbles and dignifies.
God raises the poor from the dust; *
and lifts the needy from the ash heap
To make them sit with the rulers *
and inherit a place of honor.
For the pillars of the earth are God’s *
on which the whole earth is founded.

A Song of Christ’s Humility
Philippians 2:6-11
Though in the form of God, *
Christ Jesus did not cling to equality with God,
But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, *
and was born in human likeness.
Being found in human form, he humbled himself *
and became obedient to death, even death on a cross.
Therefore, God has highly exalted him *
and given him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow, *
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, *
to the glory of God the Father.


Today's Lessons  are both daily and eucharistic. Please select the readings you would like to meditate upon.

Collect of the day!

Give ear to our prayers, O Lord, and direct the way of your servants in safety under your protection, that, amid all the changes of our earthly pilgrimage, we may be guarded by your mighty aid; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

81 Exultate Deo

1 Sing with joy to God our strength *
and raise a loud shout to the God of Jacob.

2 Raise a song and sound the timbrel, *
the merry harp, and the lyre.

3 Blow the ram's-horn at the new moon, *
and at the full moon, the day of our feast.

4 For this is a statute for Israel, *
a law of the God of Jacob.

5 He laid it as a solemn charge upon Joseph, *
when he came out of the land of Egypt.

6 I heard an unfamiliar voice saying, *
"I eased his shoulder from the burden;
his hands were set free from bearing the load."

7 You called on me in trouble, and I saved you; *
I answered you from the secret place of thunder
and tested you at the waters of Meribah.

8 Hear, O my people, and I will admonish you: *
O Israel, if you would but listen to me!

9 There shall be no strange god among you; *
you shall not worship a foreign god.

10 I am the Lord your God,
who brought you out of the land of Egypt and said, *
"Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

11 And yet my people did not hear my voice, *
and Israel would not obey me.

12 So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their hearts, *
to follow their own devices.

13 Oh, that my people would listen to me! *
that Israel would walk in my ways!

14 I should soon subdue their enemies *
and turn my hand against their foes.

15 Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him, *
and their punishment would last for ever.

16 But Israel would I feed with the finest wheat *
and satisfy him with honey from the rock.



82 Deus stetit

1 God takes his stand in the council of heaven; *
he gives judgment in the midst of the gods:

2 "How long will you judge unjustly, *
and show favor to the wicked?

3 Save the weak and the orphan; *
defend the humble and needy;

4 Rescue the weak and the poor; *
deliver them from the power of the wicked.

5 They do not know, neither do they understand;
they go about in darkness; *
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

6 Now I say to you, 'You are gods, *
and all of you children of the Most High;

7 Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals, *
and fall like any prince.'"

8 Arise, O God, and rule the earth, *
for you shall take all nations for your own.

 Genesis 45:16-28

16 When the report was heard in Pharaoh’s house, ‘Joseph’s brothers have come’, Pharaoh and his servants were pleased. 17Pharaoh said to Joseph, ‘Say to your brothers, “Do this: load your animals and go back to the land of Canaan. 18Take your father and your households and come to me, so that I may give you the best of the land of Egypt, and you may enjoy the fat of the land.” 19You are further charged to say, “Do this: take wagons from the land of Egypt for your little ones and for your wives, and bring your father, and come. 20Give no thought to your possessions, for the best of all the land of Egypt is yours.” ’

21 The sons of Israel did so. Joseph gave them wagons according to the instruction of Pharaoh, and he gave them provisions for the journey. 22To each one of them he gave a set of garments; but to Benjamin he gave three hundred pieces of silver and five sets of garments. 23To his father he sent the following: ten donkeys loaded with the good things of Egypt, and ten female donkeys loaded with grain, bread, and provision for his father on the journey. 24Then he sent his brothers on their way, and as they were leaving he said to them, ‘Do not quarrel* along the way.’

25 So they went up out of Egypt and came to their father Jacob in the land of Canaan. 26And they told him, ‘Joseph is still alive! He is even ruler over all the land of Egypt.’ He was stunned; he could not believe them. 27But when they told him all the words of Joseph that he had said to them, and when he saw the wagons that Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of their father Jacob revived. 28Israel said, ‘Enough! My son Joseph is still alive. I must go and see him before I die.’

1 Corinthians 8:1-13

Food Offered to Idols

8Now concerning food sacrificed to idols: we know that ‘all of us possess knowledge.’ Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2Anyone who claims to know something does not yet have the necessary knowledge; 3but anyone who loves God is known by him.

4 Hence, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that ‘no idol in the world really exists’, and that ‘there is no God but one.’ 5Indeed, even though there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as in fact there are many gods and many lords— 6yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.

7 It is not everyone, however, who has this knowledge. Since some have become so accustomed to idols until now, they still think of the food they eat as food offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8‘Food will not bring us close to God.’* We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do. 9But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling-block to the weak. 10For if others see you, who possess knowledge, eating in the temple of an idol, might they not, since their conscience is weak, be encouraged to the point of eating food sacrificed to idols? 11So by your knowledge those weak believers for whom Christ died are destroyed.* 12But when you thus sin against members of your family,* and wound their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if food is a cause of their falling,* I will never eat meat, so that I may not cause one of them* to fall. 

Mark 6:13-29

13They cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.
The Death of John the Baptist

14 King Herod heard of it, for Jesus’* name had become known. Some were* saying, ‘John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers are at work in him.’ 15But others said, ‘It is Elijah.’ And others said, ‘It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old.’ 16But when Herod heard of it, he said, ‘John, whom I beheaded, has been raised.’

17 For Herod himself had sent men who arrested John, bound him, and put him in prison on account of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, because Herod* had married her. 18For John had been telling Herod, ‘It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.’ 19And Herodias had a grudge against him, and wanted to kill him. But she could not, 20for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and he protected him. When he heard him, he was greatly perplexed;* and yet he liked to listen to him. 21But an opportunity came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his courtiers and officers and for the leaders of Galilee. 22When his daughter Herodias* came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, ‘Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will give it.’ 23And he solemnly swore to her, ‘Whatever you ask me, I will give you, even half of my kingdom.’ 24She went out and said to her mother, ‘What should I ask for?’ She replied, ‘The head of John the baptizer.’ 25Immediately she rushed back to the king and requested, ‘I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter.’ 26The king was deeply grieved; yet out of regard for his oaths and for the guests, he did not want to refuse her. 27Immediately the king sent a soldier of the guard with orders to bring John’s* head. He went and beheaded him in the prison, 28brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl. Then the girl gave it to her mother. 29When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body, and laid it in a tomb. 


Psalm 78:1–6

Attendite, popule

1 Hear my teaching, O my people; *
incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in a parable; *
I will declare the mysteries of ancient times.
3 That which we have heard and known,
and what our forefathers have told us, *
we will not hide from their children.
4 We will recount to generations to come
the praiseworthy deeds and the power of the Lord, *
and the wonderful works he has done.
5 He gave his decrees to Jacob
and established a law for Israel, *
which he commanded them to teach their children;
6 That the generations to come might know,
and the children yet unborn; *
that they in their turn might tell it to their children;

Deuteronomy 4:1–2,5–9

Moses said: So now, Israel, give heed to the statutes and ordinances that I am teaching you to observe, so that you may live to enter and occupy the land that the Lord, the God of your ancestors, is giving you. You must neither add anything to what I command you nor take away anything from it, but keep the commandments of the Lord your God with which I am charging you.
See, just as the Lord my God has charged me, I now teach you statutes and ordinances for you to observe in the land that you are about to enter and occupy. You must observe them diligently, for this will show your wisdom and discernment to the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and discerning people!" For what other great nation has a god so near to it as the Lord our God is whenever we call to him? And what other great nation has statutes and ordinances as just as this entire law that I am setting before you today?
But take care and watch yourselves closely, so as neither to forget the things that your eyes have seen nor to let them slip from your mind all the days of your life; make them known to your children and your children's children.

Matthew 5:17–19

Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."


Today's Saint of the Day St. Cyril of Jerusalem

Strengthen, O God, your Church in the sacraments of your grace, that we, in union with the teaching and prayers of your servant Cyril of Jerusalem, may enter more fully into your Paschal mystery; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
 

34 Benedicam Dominum

1 I will bless the Lord at all times; *
his praise shall ever be in my mouth.

2 I will glory in the Lord; *
let the humble hear and rejoice.

3 Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord; *
let us exalt his Name together.

4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me *
and delivered me out of all my terror.

5 Look upon him and be radiant, *
and let not your faces be ashamed.

6 I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me *
and saved me from all my troubles.

7 The angel of the Lord encompasses those who fear him, *
and he will deliver them.

8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; *
happy are they who trust in him!

Sirach 47:2-10

David


2 As the fat is set apart from the offering of well-being,
   so David was set apart from the Israelites. 
3 He played with lions as though they were young goats,
   and with bears as though they were lambs of the flock. 
4 In his youth did he not kill a giant,
   and take away the people’s disgrace,
when he whirled the stone in the sling
   and struck down the boasting Goliath? 
5 For he called on the Lord, the Most High,
   and he gave strength to his right arm
to strike down a mighty warrior,
   and to exalt the power* of his people. 
6 So they glorified him for the tens of thousands he conquered,
   and praised him for the blessings bestowed by the Lord,
   when the glorious diadem was given to him. 
7 For he wiped out his enemies on every side,
   and annihilated his adversaries the Philistines;
   he crushed their power* to our own day. 
8 In all that he did he gave thanks
   to the Holy One, the Most High, proclaiming his glory;
he sang praise with all his heart,
   and he loved his Maker. 
9 He placed singers before the altar,
   to make sweet melody with their voices.* 
10 He gave beauty to the festivals,
   and arranged their times throughout the year,*
while they praised God’s* holy name,
   and the sanctuary resounded from early morning

Mark 9:38-41

Another Exorcist

38 John said to him, ‘Teacher, we saw someone* casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.’ 39But Jesus said, ‘Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterwards to speak evil of me. 40Whoever is not against us is for us. 41For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward.



Yesterday's readings and collect.
Psalm 25:3–10

Ad te, Domine, levavi

3 Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.
4 Lead me in your truth and teach me, *
for you are the God of my salvation;
in you have I trusted all the day long.
5 Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love, *
for they are from everlasting.
6 Remember not the sins of my youth and my transgressions; *
remember me according to your love
and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
7 Gracious and upright is the Lord; *
therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
8 He guides the humble in doing right *
and teaches his way to the lowly.
9 All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness *
to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
10 For your Name’s sake, O Lord, * 
forgive my sin, for it is great.


Song of the Three Young Men 2–4,11–20a

Azariah stood still in the fire and prayed aloud:
“Blessed are you, O Lord, God of our ancestors, and worthy of praise;
and glorious is your name for ever!
For you are just in all you have done;
all your works are true and your ways right,
and all your judgements are true.
For your name’s sake do not give us up for ever,
and do not annul your covenant.
Do not withdraw your mercy from us,
for the sake of Abraham your beloved
and for the sake of your servant Isaac
and Israel your holy one,
to whom you promised
to multiply their descendants like the stars of heaven
and like the sand on the shore of the sea.
For we, O Lord, have become fewer than any other nation,
and are brought low this day in all the world because of our sins.
In our day we have no ruler, or prophet, or leader,
no burnt-offering, or sacrifice, or oblation, or incense,
no place to make an offering before you and to find mercy.
Yet with a contrite heart and a humble spirit may we be accepted,
as though it were with burnt-offerings of rams and bulls,
or with tens of thousands of fat lambs;
such may our sacrifice be in your sight today,
and may we unreservedly follow you,
for no shame will come to those who trust in you.
And now with all our heart we follow you;
we fear you and seek your presence.
Do not put us to shame,
but deal with us in your patience
and in your abundant mercy.
Deliver us in accordance with your marvelous works.”


Matthew 18:21–35

Peter came and said to Jesus, "Lord, if another member of the church sins against me, how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?" Jesus said to him, "Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times.
"For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. When he began the reckoning, one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him; and, as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, together with his wife and children and all his possessions, and payment to be made. So the slave fell on his knees before him, saying, `Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him, the lord of that slave released him and forgave him the debt. But that same slave, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat, he said, `Pay what you owe.' Then his fellow slave fell down and pleaded with him, `Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' But he refused; then he went and threw him into prison until he would pay the debt. When his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, `You wicked slave! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. Should you not have had mercy on your fellow slave, as I had mercy on you?' And in anger his lord handed him over to be tortured until he would pay his entire debt. So my heavenly Father will also do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother or sister from your heart."


O Lord, we beseech you mercifully to hear us; and grant that we, to whom you have given a fervent desire to pray, may, by your mighty aid, be defended and comforted in all dangers and adversities; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

++++

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.



Jesus our only Saviour,
you renounced the way of ease
for the way of truth and life.
Draw us to seek God’s kingdom
whatever the cost,
for the sake of the true treasure in heaven.

Praise and glory to you, Jesus Christ our Saviour,
for you do not call the righteous
but us sinners to repentance.
You draw us away from the easy road
that would lead to our destruction.
You call us instead to seek God’s kingdom,
to strive for what is right,
and to lay up our treasure in heaven.

Faithful God,
in this communion
you increase our faith and hope and love.
Lead us in the path of Christ
who is your Word of life.

God of our pilgrimage,
we have found the living water.
Refresh and sustain us
as we go forth on our journey,
in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment