Wednesday, July 24, 2019

An evening meditating on the words of wisdom of Thomas A `Kempis




Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Wisdom Wednesday ! Today our words of wisdom come from Thomas a Kempis. To learn more about him please click on his name.  We are taking it easy tonight because I had a fall at home and my body is in pain. So let us begin. 

Let us ponder these quotes of our brother Thomas a Kempis.





"We must imitate Christ's life and his ways if we are to be truly enlightened and set free from the darkness of our own hearts. Let it be the most important thing we do, then, to reflect on the life of Jesus Christ." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"To say that I am made in the image of God is to say that love is the reason for my existence, for God is love." ~ Thomas a Kempis


"First keep peace with yourself, then you can also bring peace to others." ~ Thomas a Kempis


"Occasions do not make a man either strong or weak but they show what he is." ~ Thomas a Kempis


"My God, Sweetness beyond words, make bitter all the carnal comfort that draws me from love of the eternal and lures me to its evil self by the sight of some delightful good in the present. Let it not overcome me, my God. Let not flesh and blood conquer me. Let not the world and its brief glory deceive me, nor the devil trip me by his craftiness. Give me courage to resist, patience to endure, and constancy to persevere. Give me the soothing unction of Your spirit rather than all the consolations of the world, and in place of carnal love, infuse into me the love of Your name." ~ Thomas a Kempis


"If you carry your cross joyfully, it will carry you." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"Love is a great thing, a good above all others, which alone maketh every burden light." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"A lover of Jesus and of the truth can lift himself above himself in spirit." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"Blessed is the pilgrim, who in every place, and at all times of this his banishment in the body, calling upon the holy name of Jesus, calleth to mind his native heavenly land, where his blessed Master, the King of saints and angels, waiteth to receive him. Blessed is the pilgrim who seeketh not an abiding place unto himself in this world; but longeth to be dissolved, and be with Christ in heaven." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"Love is a great thing...which alone maketh every burden light.. Love is watchful, and while sleeping, still keeps watch; though fatigued, it is not weary; though pressed, it is not forced. Love is sincere, gentle, strong, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, and manly. Love is humble and upright, not weak, not fickle, nor intent on vain things; sober chaste, steadfast, quiet, and guarded in all the senses." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"Let not therefore thy heart be troubled, neither let it fear. Trust in me, and put thy confidence in my mercy. When thou thinkest thyself farthest off from me, oftentimes I am nearest unto thee. When thou countest almost all to be lost, then oftentimes the greatest gain of reward is close at hand. All is not lost, when any thing falleth out contrary. Thou oughtest not to judge according to present feeling; nor so to take any grief, or give thyself over to it." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"Love makes everything that is heavy light." ~ Thomas a Kempis

"If thou art willing to suffer no adversity, how wilt thou be the friend of Christ?" ~ Thomas a Kempis

++++

God we come into your presence with our hearts on fire and love for you and all of our family members the world over. We light our evening candles in joy and love and thanksgiving for your gift of wisdom and love energy!



Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

A PRAYER FOR GOD’S LIGHT

Eternal God, shed your light on us who watch for you,
that our lips may praise you,
our hearts bless you,
and our lives glorify you,
through Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Amen.

God we open up our heart homes and light our candles and pray with love. We pray that we may love our family members deeply, broadly, unconditionally with hope, joy, peace, and love energy. We pray for an end to indifference, hatred, violence, and division. We pray that we may re-educate ourselves to practice radical hospitality, attitudes of gratitude, random acts of kindness, and that we may do in the words of the Prophet Micah- "To do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God" We pray that we may focus our lives towards the loving care and in service to the least of these. We pray with loving hearts for our family members who have lost their lives in acts of terror of all kinds. We pray that we may light our candles in solidarity and love for those who are mourning and struggling with life's dark times. We pray that we may be light shiners, love givers, joy bringers, hope bearers, and peace makers. We light our candles as we pray for those things that are heavy on our hearts and lay them on the broad and loving shoulders of God Amen. 



Do not ask anxiously, What are we to eat? What are we to drink? What shall we wear? The whole world runs after such things. Set your heart and mind on God’s commonwealth and justice first, and all the rest will come to you as well. So do not be anxious about tomorrow. Today has enough problems of its own; tomorrow can look after itself. Matthew 6:31-34

I LAY BEFORE YOU -Howard Thurman

The concern which I lay bare before You today is:

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me— I would seek the root or cause of such disaffection, and with the illumination of Your mind, O God, to understand it.

I give myself to Your scrutiny that, whatever there may be in me that is responsible for what has happened, I will acknowledge.

Where I have wronged or given offense deliberately or without intention, I seek a face-to-face forgiveness.

What I can undo I am willing to try; what I cannot undo, with that I seek to make my peace.

How to do these things, what techniques to use, with what spirit— for these I need and seek Your wisdom and strength, O God.

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me, I lay bare before You.




34 Benedicam Dominum

1 I will bless the Lord at all times; *
his praise shall ever be in my mouth.

2 I will glory in the Lord; *
let the humble hear and rejoice.

3 Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord; *
let us exalt his Name together.

4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me *
and delivered me out of all my terror.

5 Look upon him and be radiant, *
and let not your faces be ashamed.

6 I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me *
and saved me from all my troubles.

7 The angel of the Lord encompasses those who fear him, *
and he will deliver them.

8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; *
happy are they who trust in him!


Philippians 4:4�9

4 Rejoice* in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.* 5Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 6Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

8 Finally, beloved,* whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about* these things. 9Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

The Song of Hannah
1 Samuel 2:1-8

My heart exults in you, O God; *
my triumph song is lifted in you.
My mouth derides my enemies, *
for I rejoice in your salvation.
There is none holy like you, *
nor any rock to be compared to you, our God.
Do not heap up prideful words or speak in arrogance; *
Only God is knowing and weighs all actions.
The bows of the mighty are broken, *
but the weak are clothed in strength.
Those once full now labor for bread, *
those who hungered now are well fed.
The childless woman has borne sevenfold, *
while the mother of many is forlorn.
God destroys and brings to life, casts down and raises up; *
gives wealth or takes it away, humbles and dignifies.
God raises the poor from the dust; *
and lifts the needy from the ash heap
To make them sit with the rulers *
and inherit a place of honor.
For the pillars of the earth are God’s *
on which the whole earth is founded.

Luke 6:17-23

17 He came down with them and stood on a level place, with a great crowd of his disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea, Jerusalem, and the coast of Tyre and Sidon. 18They had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases; and those who were troubled with unclean spirits were cured. 19And all in the crowd were trying to touch him, for power came out from him and healed all of them.
20 Then he looked up at his disciples and said:
‘Blessed are you who are poor,
   for yours is the kingdom of God. 
21 ‘Blessed are you who are hungry now,
   for you will be filled.
‘Blessed are you who weep now,
   for you will laugh.

22 ‘Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you* on account of the Son of Man. 23Rejoice on that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets.

A Song of Christ’s Humility
Philippians 2:6-11
Though in the form of God, *
Christ Jesus did not cling to equality with God,
But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, *
and was born in human likeness.
Being found in human form, he humbled himself *
and became obedient to death, even death on a cross.
Therefore, God has highly exalted him *
and given him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow, *
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, *
to the glory of God the Father.




Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.



 Holy Father, you have nourished and strengthened your church by the writings of your servant Thomas à Kempis: Grant that we may learn from him to know what is necessary to be known, to love what is to be loved, to praise what highly pleases you, and always to seek to know and to follow your will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
 

The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh: A Litany for Peace

As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.
Silence
Let us pay attention to our breathing.
Silence
Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.
Silence
Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.
Silence
Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.
Silence
Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.
Silence
Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.
Silence
Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.
Silence
Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.
Silence
With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.

Whichever way we turn, O God, there is Your face
in the light of the moon and patterns of stars,
in sacred mountain rifts and ancient groves,
in mighty seas and creatures of the deep.
Whichever way we turn, O God, there is Your face
in the light of eyes we love,
in the salt of tears we have tasted,
in weathered countenances east and west,
in the soft skin glow of the child everywhere.
Whichever way we turn, O God, there is Your face,
there is Your face
among us.

John Philip Newell

FOR ALL PEOPLE - Reinhold Niebuhr

O God, we pray for all sorts and conditions of people:

For all who toil in the burden and heat of the day, that they may en joy the rewards of their industry, that they may not be defrauded of their due, and that we may never cease to be mindful of our debt to them for making our life tolerable;

For those in authority, who have power over others, that they may not use it for selfish advantage but be guided to do justice and to love mercy.

For those who have been worsted in the battles of life, whether by the inhumanity of others, their own limitations, or the fickleness of fortune, that they may contend against injustice without bitterness, and learn how to accept what cannot be altered, with patience;

For the rulers of nations that they may promote peace among the peoples and establish justice in our common life.

For the teachers and ministers of Your power, for artists, scientists and interpreters of the spiritual life, that they may not corrupt the truth to which they are committed;

For prophets and seers who awaken us from our sloth, that they may hold their torches high in a world darkened by prejudice.


O God, who has bound us together in this bundle of life, give us the grace to understand how our lives depend upon one another and our responsibilities to You.


Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


Here are three prayers of Thomas `A Kempis


How to Rest in God Alone Above All Things

Grant me, most dear and loving Jesus, to rest in you above created things; above health and beauty, above all glory and honor; above all power and dignity, above all knowledge and skill; above all fame and praise, above all sweetness and consolation; above all hope and promise, above all merit and desire; above all gifts and favors that you can bestow and shower upon us; above all joy and jubilation that the mind can conceive and know; above angels and archangels and all the hosts of Heaven; above all things visible and invisible; and above everything that is not yourself, O my God.

O Lord, my God, you transcend all things.  You alone are most high, most mighty, most sufficient and complete, most sweet and comforting.  You alone are most full of beauty and glory, in whom all good things in their perfection exist, both now and ever have been, and ever will be.  All, therefore, is too small and unsatisfying that you can give me beside yourself, or that you can reveal and promise me of yourself unless I can see and fully possess you.  For my heart cannot rest nor be wholly content until it rests in you, rising above all your gifts and creatures.

O Lord Jesus Christ, spouse of the soul, lover of purity, and Lord of creation, who will give me wings of perfect liberty, that I may fly to you, and be at rest?  When shall I be set free, and taste your sweetness, O Lord, my God?  When shall I become recollected in you, that for love of you alone in a manner not known to all men, and above all perception and measure?  But now I mourn and bear my unhappy lot with grief, for many evils happen in this vale of sorrows, which often disturb, sadden, and darken my path.  They often hinder and distract, entice, and entangle me, so that I cannot approach you freely, nor yet enjoy the sweet embrace which you prepare for the souls of the blessed.

O Jesus, brightness of eternal glory and comfort of the pilgrim soul, hear my cry, and regard my utter desolation.  Words fail me in your presence; let my silence speak for me.  How long will my Lord delay his coming?  Come to me, Lord, poor and little as I am, and bring me joy.  Stretch out your hand, and deliver me from all my misery and pain.  Come, Lord, come, for without you no day or hour is happy; without you my table is without its guest, for you alone are my joy.  Sadness is my lot, and I am like a man imprisoned and loaded with chains, until you refresh me with the light of your presence, and show me your face as my friend.  Let others seek whom they will besides you, but nothing ever can or will give me joy but yourself alone, my God, my hope, and my eternal salvation.  I will not keep silent, nor cease from urgent prayer till your grace returns and my heart leaps at the sound of your voice.

Amen.

A Prayer for the Grace of Devotion

O Lord, my God, you are my all and every good.  And what am I, that I should presume to address you?  I am the poorest of your servants and a wretched worm, far more poor and worthless than I can ever realize or express.  Yet, Lord, remember that I am nothing: I have nothing, and can do nothing.  You alone are good, just and holy; you can do all things, fill all things, bestow all things, leaving only the wicked empty-handed.  Remember your mercies, Lord, and fill my heart with your grace, since it is your will that none of your works should be worthless.  How can I endure this life of sorrows, unless you strengthen me with your mercy and grace?  Do not turn your face from me; do not delay your coming, nor withdraw your consolation form me, lest my soul become like a waterless desert.  Teach me, O Lord, to do your will; teach me to live worthily and humbly in your sight; for you are my wisdom, who know me truly, and who knew me before the world was made, and before I had my being.

Amen.

On the Wonderful Effect of Divine Love

Deepen your love in me, O Lord, that I may learn in my inmost heart how sweet it is to love, to be dissolved, and to plunge myself into your love.  Let your love possess and raise me above myself, with a fervor and wonder beyond imagination.  Let me sing the song of love.  Let me follow you, my beloved, into the heights.  Let my soul spend itself in your praise, rejoicing for love.  Let me love you more than myself, and myself only for your own sake.  Let me love all men who truly love you, as the law of love commands, which shines out from you.

Love is swift, pure, tender, joyful, and pleasant.  Love is strong, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, vigorous, and never self-seeking.  For when a man is self-seeking he abandons love.  Love is watchful, humble, and upright; love is not fickle and sentimental, nor is it intent on vanities.  It is sober, pure, steadfast, quiet, and guarded in all the senses. Love is submissive and obedient to superiors, mean and contemptible in its own sight, devoted and thankful to God, trusting and hoping in him even when not enjoying his sweetness; for none can live in love without suffering.

Whoever is not prepared to endure everything, and to stand firmly by the will of the beloved, is not worthy to be called a lover.  A lover must willingly accept every hardship and bitterness for the sake of his beloved, and must never desert him because of adversity.

Amen.

++++

Tonight let us pray for the least of these and our family members who are feeling lost and alone.

Jesus, we come to you this night asking you to lift up the lonely, lost, and those who feel unloved and outcast. Help us to draw them into  your circle of love and fellowship where they will find peace and a loving family waiting for them.

Jesus, we pray for peace in the holy places where you walked, preached, healed, were there for those who  were outcast, blind, and not welcome in any town. We pray for peace in all of the Holy Land  and a return to holiness and we pray for the leaders of  Israel, Palestine, Syria, and Iraq that they may remember that they are all family members under Abraham and the awesome responsibility that comes with that.

Jesus, help us to be there for our family members even when it seems difficult to do so. 

Jesus, heal all  of our family members who are ill and we name them now before you with love________________

Jesus, help us to grow in the Fruits of the Spirit and reap abundantly the harvest that you have planted.

Jesus, help us to sew seeds of faith, hope, and love and that we may may show these throughout our lives and  in our daily living.

Jesus, help us to be good stewards of God's Cathedral of Life.

Jesus, we pray for all refugees, strangers, immigrants of any kind and especially the unaccompanied children who have been set on a dangerous road to freedom.

Jesus, help us to be lights to this broken world and to each other.

Jesus, be with those who mourn  and we pray that we may follow your example of compassion, love, and yes even weep as you wept at the tomb of Lazarus.


Let us pray the words of the Beatitudes

When Jesus* saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
3 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6 ‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
8 ‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9 ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 ‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely* on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Jesus, may we rest gentle in your arms this night and always .

We lift up these our prayers to in Jesus' Name . Amen.


PRAYER BY THOMAS À KEMPIS – GROW IN FAITH

Give us, O Lord, steadfast hearts that cannot be dragged down by false loves;
give us courageous hearts that cannot be worn down by trouble;
give us righteous hearts that cannot be sidetracked by unholy or unworthy goals.
Give to us also, our Lord and God, understanding to know You,
diligence to look for you,
wisdom to recognize You,
and a faithfulness that will bring us to see You face to face.
— Thomas à Kempis (1380-1471)

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.(source: Celtic)
Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,2
++++

Good Night Dear Ones!  Let us follow Jesus on His Journey and be imitators of his. Follow Him in Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy and let us take up our crosses and follow Him day by day.  I love you and give thanks to God for you this day and always.


With love and seeing God in all of you this night and always,

Sara

Resources:
Enriching Our Worship 1 
Thomas A'Kempis quotes and prayers all over the web.
BrainyQuote
Good Reads
PrayerPower.com
Prayers of Thomas A`Kempis- The Value of Sparrows
Book of Common Prayer
Holy Women Holy Men
Satucket Lectionary
A New Zealand Prayer Book
A to Z quotes
Prayers of Power


No comments:

Post a Comment