Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Tonight we speak the name of Yelena Grigoryeva! Please take time to learn about her and her story!



Good Evening Family of Love,

Once again we come together to mourn and speak the name of Yelena Grigoryeva a Russian LGBT activist who was murdered. Please click on her name to learn about her story. We place her name on #WalkWithMeOnOurJourneysWallOfLoveAndRemembrance. Tonight we light our first candle in unity with the LGBTQ community around the world and remember all who have been victims of violence and those who have had the courage to stand up and be counted and have been activists for human rights of all people.


We remember this African Proverb- If you speak my name I will live forever.

Please speak the names of those who are on your hearts and minds tonight who have been victims of violence and abuse.






Let us ponder these quotes on what an activist is!

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I believe people who practice their beliefs in daily life are activists." ~ Jasmine Guy

"I want to praise activists through the years. I praise those of the past as well, to have them honored." ~ Studs Terkel

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"There can be no peace without justice and respect for human rights." ~ Irene Khan

"I am still a journeyman actor and a peace and justice activist. I'm a pilgrim trying to win my freedom and serve as best I can in the time I have, with this gift I've been given." ~ Martin Sheen

"What are you doing for others?" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I think the importance of doing activist work is precisely because it allows you to give back and to consider yourself not as a single individual who may have achieved whatever but to be a part of an ongoing historical movement." ~ Angela Davis

"I see so many activists... who are artists because they feel that they have the power of communication." ~ Yoko Ono

"What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make." ~ Jane Goodall

"Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every individual makes a difference." ~ Jane Goodall


"The least I can do is speak out for those who cannot speak for themselves." ~ Jane Goodall

Come let us worship and light our candles in memory of Yelena Grigoryeva and place her name on the #WalkWithMeOnOurJourneysWallOfLoveAndRemembrance.



Joseph Barth: A Grace


We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.


Alcuin: Eternal One


Eternal Light, shine into our hearts;
Eternal Goodness, deliver us from evil;
Eternal Power, be our support;
Eternal Wisdom, scatter the darkness of our ignorance:
That we may seek Your face
With all our heart and mind and soul and strength.



THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES -Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.

For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.

May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.




Gracious God we Light our Candles and Pray in love and support for one another. We pray that we may keep an eye out for our LGBTQ, Muslim, Latino, and all our fragile brothers and sisters. We pray that we may offer a loving hand, a kind word, and selfless help to all who are in need this night.We pray for peace in our inner beings that are being rattled on a daily basis. We pray that we may learn to care for each other with CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) Give us the skills and the right words to say when we don't know what to say. Take from us we pray bitterness and hate. Help us to find solace and peace within our bodies minds, and spirits once again We pray for an end to all forms of violence. Let us be peace makers to all people and especially to those with whom we disagree Give us courage to find common and holy ground May we remember that where ever we set our feet and place our hands we know that it is a place of holiness. This night we light our candles in solidarity with those who are holding vigil in protest God we reach out our arms and prayers to you this night! The light of God in me, Recognizes the Light of God in You.  



I am Resurrection and I am Life, says the Lord.
Whoever has faith in me shall have life,
even though he die.
And everyone who has life,
and has committed himself to me in faith,
shall not die for ever.

As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives
and that at the last he will stand upon the earth. 
After my awaking, he will raise me up;
and in my body I shall see God.
I myself shall see, and my eyes behold him
who is my friend and not a stranger.

For none of us has life in himself,
and none becomes his own master when he dies. 
For if we have life, we are alive in the Lord, 
and if we die, we die in the Lord.
So, then, whether we live or die,
we are the Lord's possession.

Happy from now on
are those who die in the Lord!
So it is, says the Spirit,
for they rest from their labors.
+++

The eternal God is your refuge,
and underneath are the everlasting arms. Deuteronomy 33:27


2 In my heart I know that my redeemer lives,
and at last will stand upon the earth;
and from my flesh I shall look on God
whom I shall see with my own eyes,
I myself and no other. Job 19:25-26


3 Call to remembrance, O Lord, your tender care
and the unfailing love
which you have shown from of old.
  Do not remember the sins and offences of my youth:
but according to your mercy
remember me, Lord, in your goodness.
  You O Lord are upright and good
therefore you show the path to those who go astray.
  You guide the humble to do what is right,
and those who are gentle you teach your way.
  All your ways are loving and sure
to those who keep your covenant
and your commandments. Psalm 25:5-9

4 God is our refuge and strength:
a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

5 You are full of compassion and mercy:
slow to anger and rich in kindness.
  You will not always be chiding:
nor do you keep your anger for ever.
  You have not dealt with us according to our sins:
nor punished us according to our wickedness.
  For as the heavens are high above the earth,
so great is your mercy over those who fear you.
  As far as the east is from the west,
so far have you put away our sins from us.
  As parents have compassion on their children,
so do you Lord have compassion on those who fear you.
  For you know what we are made of:
you remember that we are but dust.
  Our days are like the grass:
we flourish like a flower of the field.
  But as soon as the wind goes over it, it is gone:
and its place shall know it no more.
  But your merciful goodness O Lord
extends for ever toward those who fear you,
and your righteousness to children’s children,
  when they are true to your covenant
and remember to keep your commandments. Psalm 103:8-18

6 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
God’s mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
your faithfulness, O Lord, is great. Lamentations 3:22-23

7 How blest are the sorrowful;
they shall find consolation. Matthew 5:4

8 Jesus said, ‘Set your troubled hearts at rest.
Trust in God always; trust also in me.
  There are many dwelling places in my Father’s house;
if it were not so I should have told you;
for I am going there on purpose to prepare a place for you.
And if I go to prepare a place for you,
I shall come again and receive you to myself,
so that where I am, you may be also;
and my way there is known to you.
  I am the way; I am the truth and I am the life;
no one comes to the Father except by me.’ John 14:1-4,6

9 No one of us lives,
and equally no one of us dies,
for self alone.
If we live, we live for the Lord;
and if we die, we die for the Lord.
This is why Christ died and came to life again,
to establish his lordship over dead and living. Romans 14:7-9


10 No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived,
what has been prepared for those who love God. 1 Corinthians 2:9

11 Blessèd is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whose great mercy
we have been born anew into a living hope
by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3

12 The Lamb who is at the heart of the throne
will be their shepherd and will guide them
to the springs of the water of life;
and God will wipe all tears from their eyes. Revelation 7:17


O God our Vindicator, come speedily to our help. Receive the
soul of Yelena, your child, into the arms of your mercy, and deliver
his/her assailant to justice, that your holy Law may be served,
and your peace renewed; through Jesus our Savior. Amen.

Psalm 23
Dear God, you sustain me and feed me: 
like a shepherd you guide me.

You lead me to an oasis of green, 
to lie down by restful waters.

You refresh my soul for the journey, 
and guide me along trusted roads.

The God of justice is your name. 
Though I must enter the darkness of death,
I will fear no evil.

For you are with me, 
your rod and staff comfort me.

You prepare a table before my very eyes, 
in the presence of those who trouble me.

You anoint my head with oil, 
and you fill my cup to the brim.

Your loving kindness and mercy will meet me 
every day of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of my God for ever.

Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who abuse you. Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return; for God is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. 
Be merciful as your father is merciful. Judge not and you will not be judged. Condemn not and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. 
Give and it will be given to you; for the measure you give will be the measure you receive. From Luke 6:27-38



Psalm 121
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains, 
but where shall I find help?

From you alone, O God, does my help come, 
creator of the ever changing hills.

You will not let me stumble on the rough pathways, 
you care for me and watch over me without ceasing.

I am sure that the Guardian of my people 
neither slumbers nor sleeps. 
The God of all nations keeps watch, 
like a shadow spread over me.

So the sun will not strike me by day, 
nor the moon by night.

You will defend me in the presence of evil, 
you will guard my life.

You will defend my going out and my coming in, 
this night and always.

God is Love and where true love is,God himself is there!
God is Love and where true love is God himself is.
God is Love and where true love is God
God is Love and where true love is.
God is Love

Be still and know that God is Love.
Be still and know that God is.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be

Ubi Caritas

Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez




"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen

"We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." ~ Thurgood Marshall
 A Smudging Prayer
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 
We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


From the Arusha Call to Discipleship

Loving God, we thank you for the gift of life in all its diversity and beauty. Lord Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, we praise you that you came to find the lost, to free the oppressed, to heal the sick, and to convert the self-centred. Holy Spirit, we rejoice that you breathe in the life of the world and are poured out into our hearts. As we live in the Spirit, may we also walk in the Spirit. Grant us faith and courage to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus: becoming pilgrims of justice and peace in our time. For the blessing of your people, the sustaining of the earth, and the glory of your name. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

God of compassion, you have reconciled us in Jesus Christ who is our peace: Enable us to live as Jesus lived, breaking down walls of hostility and healing enmity. Give us grace to make peace with those from whom we are divided, that, forgiven and forgiving, we may ever be one in Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit reigns for ever, one holy and undivided Trinity. Amen.


Psalm 145

Praise. Of David.
1 I will extol you, my God and King,
   and bless your name for ever and ever. 
2 Every day I will bless you,
   and praise your name for ever and ever. 
3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
   his greatness is unsearchable. 


4 One generation shall laud your works to another,
   and shall declare your mighty acts. 
5 On the glorious splendour of your majesty,
   and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. 
6 The might of your awesome deeds shall be proclaimed,
   and I will declare your greatness. 
7 They shall celebrate the fame of your abundant goodness,
   and shall sing aloud of your righteousness. 


 2 Kings 2:9-15

9 When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, ‘Tell me what I may do for you, before I am taken from you.’ Elisha said, ‘Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit.’ 10He responded, ‘You have asked a hard thing; yet, if you see me as I am being taken from you, it will be granted you; if not, it will not.’ 11As they continued walking and talking, a chariot of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them, and Elijah ascended in a whirlwind into heaven. 12Elisha kept watching and crying out, ‘Father, father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!’ But when he could no longer see him, he grasped his own clothes and tore them in two pieces.
13 He picked up the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. 14He took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and struck the water, saying, ‘Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah?’ When he had struck the water, the water was parted to the one side and to the other, and Elisha went over.

15 When the company of prophets* who were at Jericho saw him at a distance, they declared, ‘The spirit of Elijah rests on Elisha.’ They came to meet him and bowed to the ground before him.

A Song of Jonah
Jonah 2:2-7, 9
I called to you, O God, out of my distress, and you answered me; *
out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.
You cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, *
and the flood surrounded me;
all your waves and billows passed over me.
Then I said, “I am driven away from your sight; *
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?”
The waters closed in over me, the deep was round about me; *
weeds were wrapped around my head at the roots
of the mountains.
I went down to the land beneath the earth, *
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.
As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God, *
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you; *
what I have vowed I will pay, for deliverance belongs to the Lord!

John 1:1-14

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being 4in him was life,* and the life was the light of all people. 5The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. 8He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light. 9The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.*

10 He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him. 11He came to what was his own,* and his own people did not accept him. 12But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son,* full of grace and truth.

The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.


For Survivors of Abuse and Violence
Holy One, you do not distance yourself from the pain of your
people, but in Jesus bear that pain with us and bless all who suffer
at others’ hands. Hallow our flesh and all creation; with your
cleansing love bring healing and strength to N.; and by your
justice, lift her/him up, that in the body you have given her/him,
she/he may again rejoice. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

In Times of Personal Distress
Lord Christ, you came into the world as one of us, and suffered
as we do. As we go through the trials of life, help us to realize
that you are with us at all times and in all things; that we have
no secrets from you; and that your loving grace enfolds us for
eternity. In the security of your embrace we pray. Amen

God, do not hide your face from us in our anger and grief for the
death of Yelena Renew us in hope that your justice will roll down
like mighty waters and joy spring up from the broken ground in a
living stream; through Jesus our Savior. Amen.


For One Who has Killed
Holy God, we lift into the light of your justice N. [the one] who
has taken the life of your child N. Where our hearts are stone
return to us hearts of flesh; that grief may not swallow us up, but
new life find us through Jesus the crucified, with whom we are
raised by your power. Amen.
For Those Who Mourn
God of compassion and strength: keep safe 

A FORM OF THE LORD’S PRAYER

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them
that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.   Amen.


The Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
As we continue to pray let us pray the words of peace of St. Francis of Assisi

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

In your presence O God, we come together as one family of love. Give us courage to lay down the weaponry of hate and find common ground.

In your presence O God, take all the gunk in our lives that prevent us from truly serving you and the least of these.

In your presence O God, give us courage to discern where you are sending us and help us to respond accordingly with "Here I am send me"!

In your presence  O God, make us truly the Beloved Community intent upon serving you and our family members with CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) 

In your presence O God, help us to stand fast and ready to speak truth to power and seek out ways to be the change you want to see in the world.

In your presence O God, may we feel and know your love for us so that we may serve others. 

In your presence O God, we offer these our prayers________________________________

In your presence O God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of your only begotten Son Jesus. Amen.

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised; 
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see: 
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 

We close our vigil with these prayers:

The Woke Prayers of St. Francis
Help us O God to be woke!
Woke as your peacemakers, change makers, heart changers, and love energy bringers!
Woke to the hatred so that we may sow seeds of love.
Woke to the injury so that we may heal the hurt and cease the harm.
Woke to the divisiveness that we may be eager to heal and unite as one neighborhood and family.
Woke to uncertainty that will lead us to be renewed in faith.
Woke to the despair of all our neighbors so that we may sow seeds of radical hope, love, hospitality, and inclusion.
Woke to the knowledge that we are God's beloved children. Help us to be woke to sing the words of  "Light One Candle"
LIGHT ONE CANDLE
Peter Yarrow
Light one candle for the Maccabee children
With thanks that their light didn't die
Light one candle for the pain they endured
When their right to exist was denied
Light one candle for the terrible sacrifice
Justice and freedom demand
But light one candle for the wisdom to know
When the peacemaker's time is at hand

chorus:
Don't let the light go out!
It's lasted for so many years!
Don't let the light go out!
Let it shine through our love and our tears.

Light one candle for the strength that we need
To never become our own foe
And light one candle for those who are suffering
Pain we learned so long ago
Light one candle for all we believe in
That anger not tear us apart
And light one candle to bind us together
With peace as the song in our hearts

(chorus)

What is the memory that's valued so highly
That we keep it alive in that flame?
What's the commitment to those who have died
That we cry out they've not died in vain?
We have come this far always believing
That justice would somehow prevail
This is the burden, this is the promise
This is why we will not fail!

(chorus)

Don't let the light go out!
Don't let the light go out!
Don't let the light go out!

Help us to be woke enough not to think of ourselves being the comforted, help us be the comforters and wounded healers.

Help not to be know it alls and be woke to understand what is plaguing our inner beings, neighbors, neighborhoods, the least of these, our family members.

God wake us up to be Woke to your agape love so that we may love everything that you have made. Wake us to be Woke to Radical Love, Hospitality, and inclusion.

Help us to know that being truly woke means being open to radical and random acts of kindness and giving. Where the giver is given and receives much by acts of giving.

Help us to be woke enough to forgive and then find ourselves being actually forgiven 
God Wake us Up to Be Woke to know that death isn't the end but only the beginning of a new birth in your heavenly Kindom. Amen and let it be so!


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

The God of peace, who brought again from the dead our 
Lord Jesus Christ, the great Shepherd of the sheep, through 
the blood of the eternal covenant: Make you perfect in 
every good work to do his will, working in you that which is 
well-pleasing in his sight; through Jesus Christ, to whom be 
glory for ever and ever. Amen.


Good Night Dear Ones! I love you! 
As we say on Wednesday before we close our healing circle "May the Lord watch between me and thee while we are absent, one from another. Mizpah!"

Blessings and peace,

Sara


Resources
A to Z QuotesEnriching Our Worship
Book of Common Prayer on Line
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
In Lak 'Ech- Luis Valdez
Walk With Me On Our Journey
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Other Resources as Noted
Oremus Bible Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment