Thursday, December 12, 2019

Let us be in #harmony as we celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe




Good Evening Dear Ones!

Today is the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. We are going to do a simple liturgy from the Book of Occasional Services 2018. There are also optional lessons of the feast of Francis de Sales and Jane Chantal.  Our #AdventWord is #Harmony. It is time to get out our thesaurus and do our journaling and if you so desire you may add yesterday's word #confess to the mix. Here are today's quotes:


"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Be in harmony, yet be different." ~ Confucius

"A Woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself" ~ Maya Angelou

"Grace has been defined as the outward expression of the inward harmony of the soul." ~ William Hazlitt

"Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony." ~ Thomas Merton

"The simplification of life is one of the steps to inner peace." ~ Peace Pilgrim

"Where there is discord may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. Where there is despair, may we bring hope." ~ Francis of Assisi

"Adversity draws men together and produces beauty and harmony in life's relationships, just as the cold of winter produces ice-flowers on the window-panes, which vanish with the warmth." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one." ~ John Lennon

"The simplification of life is one of the steps to inner peace. A persistent simplification will create an inner and outer well-being that places harmony in one's life." ~ Peace Pilgrim

"God reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists." ~ Albert Einstein

"How can we live in harmony? First we need to know we are all madly in love with the same God." ~ Thomas Aquinas

++++

Come let us worship:

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.

You are my other me.

Si te hago daño a ti,

If I do harm to you,

Me hago daño a mi mismo.

I do harm to myself.

Si te amo y respeto,

If I love and respect you,

Me amo y respeto yo.

I love and respect myself.

- Luis Valdez




There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and those who are afraid are not perfected in love. We love because God first loved us. If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother or sister, that person is a liar; for those who do not love their brothers and sisters whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. 1 John 4:18-20



Let us confess our sins to God.
Silence may be kept.
Minister and People
God of all mercy,
we confess that we have sinned against you,
opposing your will in our lives.
We have denied your goodness in each other,
in ourselves, and in the world you have created.
We repent of the evil that enslaves us,
 the evil we have done,
and the evil done on our behalf.
Forgive, restore, and strengthen us
through our Savior Jesus Christ,
that we may abide in your love
and serve only your will. Amen.

Absolution
Almighty God have mercy on you/us , forgive you all y/our sins
through the grace of Jesus Christ, strengthen you/ us in all goodness,
and by the power of the Holy Spirit keep you/us in eternal life.
Amen.


A great sign appeared in the sky,
a woman clothed with the sun,

 With the moon under her feet,
and on her head a crown of twelve stars.

Let us pray.
Be present with us, God our Deliverer, as you were present with La Virgen
de Guadalupe (the Virgin of Guadelupe) who called Juan Diego her
beloved son. May her example of tender care for the poor and oppressed
guide us in the way of justice and mercy; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.


Let us go forth in peace.
 In the Name of Christ. Amen
 The Lord be with you.
People And also with you
 Let us pray.


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 131

Song of Quiet Trust
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
1 O Lord, my heart is not lifted up,
    my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
    too great and too marvelous for me.
2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
    like a weaned child with its mother;
    my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.[a]

3 O Israel, hope in the Lord
    from this time on and forevermore.

Psalm 116
Thanksgiving for Recovery from Illness
1 I love the Lord, because he has heard
    my voice and my supplications.
2 Because he inclined his ear to me,
    therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
3 The snares of death encompassed me;
    the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
    I suffered distress and anguish.
4 Then I called on the name of the Lord:
    “O Lord, I pray, save my life!”

5 Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;
    our God is merciful.
6 The Lord protects the simple;
    when I was brought low, he saved me.
7 Return, O my soul, to your rest,
    for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.

8 For you have delivered my soul from death,
    my eyes from tears,
    my feet from stumbling.
9 I walk before the Lord
    in the land of the living.
10 I kept my faith, even when I said,
    “I am greatly afflicted”;
11 I said in my consternation,
    “Everyone is a liar.”

12 What shall I return to the Lord
    for all his bounty to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
    and call on the name of the Lord,
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord
    is the death of his faithful ones.
16 O Lord, I am your servant;
    I am your servant, the child of your serving girl.
    You have loosed my bonds.
17 I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice
    and call on the name of the Lord.
18 I will pay my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the Lord,
    in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the Lord!

Zechariah 2:10-13 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
10 Sing and rejoice, O daughter Zion! For lo, I will come and dwell in your midst, says the Lord. 11 Many nations shall join themselves to the Lord on that day, and shall be my people; and I will dwell in your midst. And you shall know that the Lord of hosts has sent me to you. 12 The Lord will inherit Judah as his portion in the holy land, and will again choose Jerusalem.


13 Be silent, all people, before the Lord; for he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.

The Song of Zechariah Benedictus Dominus Deus
Blessed are you, Lord, the God of Israel, *
you have come to your people and set them free.
You have raised up for us a mighty Savior, *
born of the house of your servant David.
28
Through your holy prophets you promised of old
to save us from our enemies, *
from the hands of all who hate us,
To show mercy to our forebears, *
and to remember your holy covenant.
This was the oath you swore to our father Abraham, *
to set us free from the hands of our enemies,
Free to worship you without fear, *
holy and righteous before you,
all the days of our life.
And you, child, shall be called the prophet
of the Most High, *
for you will go before the Lord to prepare the way,
To give God’s people knowledge of salvation *
by the forgiveness of their sins.
In the tender compassion of our God *
the dawn from on high shall break upon us,
To shine on those who dwell in darkness
and the shadow of death, *
and to guide our feet into the way of peace.


A Reading from The Nican Mopohua:
Juan Diego returned and right at the top of the mountain he saw the Lady
from heaven, at the spot where he saw her the first time. Seeing her, he fell
down before her and said, "Lady, the smallest of my daughters, my Child, I
went where you sent me to fulfill your mandate; though with difficulty, to
the seat of the bishop; I saw him and exposed your message; he received me
graciously and listened attentively; but I understood by his response that he
believes that it is I who makes the request of building your temple, and that
perhaps is not your command. Istrongly beg, Lady, my Child that you send
instead of me someone who is known, respected and esteemed. If we entrust
your message to someone like that he is sure to be believed. The Bishop
does not believe me because I am a lesser man, I'm small, I'm a no one,and
you, my Child, the least of my daughters, Lady, you send me to a place
where I do not belong. Forgive me if I cause you great sorrow.” Our Lady
replied: “Listen, my son, I understand but need you to know that that I have
many servants and messengers whom I can send to do my bidding yet I
choose you. You are the one that I strictly command, to go again tomorrow
to see the Bishop. Tell him once more who sends you and that it is my will
for a temple to be built in my honor. Tell him, that the ever-Blessed Virgin
Mary, mother of God, is the one that sends you" Juan Diego replied: "My
Lady, My Child, I will do what you ask. I'll do your will; but perhaps I will
not be heard with pleasure. I know that it will be difficult for them to believe
me.




Revelation 11:19a; 12:1-6a

Revelation 11:19 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
19 Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple; and there were flashes of lightning, voices, peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail.

Revelation 12:1-6 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
The Woman and the Dragon
12 And a great portent appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; 2 she was with child and she cried out in her pangs of birth, in anguish for delivery. 3 And another portent appeared in heaven; behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems upon his heads. 4 His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven, and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to bear a child, that he might devour her child when she brought it forth; 5 she brought forth a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron, but her child was caught up to God and to his throne, 6 and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which to be nourished for one thousand two hundred and sixty days.

A Song of True Motherhood
Julian of Norwich
God chose to be our mother in all things *
and so made the foundation of his work,
most humbly and most pure, in the Virgin’s womb.
God, the perfect wisdom of all, *
arrayed himself in this humble place.
Christ came in our poor flesh *
to share a mother’s care.
Our mothers bear us for pain and for death; *
our true mother, Jesus, bears us for joy and endless life.
Christ carried us within him in love and travail, *
until the full time of his passion.
And when all was completed and he had carried us so for joy, *
still all this could not satisfy the power of his wonderful love.
All that we owe is redeemed in truly loving God, *
for the love of Christ works in us;
Christ is the one whom we love.


 Luke 6:20-23

Luke 6:20-23 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Blessings and Woes
20 Then he looked up at his disciples and said:

“Blessed are you who are poor,
    for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 “Blessed are you who are hungry now,
    for you will be filled.
“Blessed are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh.

22 “Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you[a] on account of the Son of Man. 23 Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets.

The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.


The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

or this:

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.



The Collect of the Day
O God of love, you blessed your people at El Tepeyac with the presence of
La Virgen de Guadelupe: grant that her example of love to the poor and
forsaken may stir our faith to recognize all people as members of one
family. Teach us to follow in the way you have prepared for us, that we
may honor one another in word and action, sharing with her your
commonwealth of peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and
reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting.Amen.


The Prayers of the People

As we honor La Virgen de Guadelupe, may we strive for unity
among all people;

We pray to you, God of mercy.
Hear our prayer.

May the vision of Juan Diego inspire our community to stand against
prejudice, discrimination, hatred, and violence;

We pray to you, God of mercy.
Hear our prayer.

May our care for youth and children, the elderly and sick, the weak,
helpless and poor (especially ), reflect the love of La Virgen, revealed
at Tepeyac;

We pray to you, God of mercy.
Hear our prayer.

May the vision of La Virgen strengthen us to stand with all immigrants and
refugees in their struggle in every nation and people, (especially the people
of );

We pray to you, God of mercy.
Hear our prayer.

May those who have died (especially ) rest in your peace, and those who
mourn (especially ) find comfort in fellowship with La Virgen de
Guadelupe and all the saints;

We pray to you, God of mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Please add your own prayers and thanksgivings.

O God of power and mercy, who gives us roses in a season of darkness;
fill us with your unexpected truth and vision of peace among all people.
By the example of La Virgen de Guadelupe, may we seek the justice
which unites all people everywhere; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For the Human Family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.

Christ be within us to keep us, 
beside us to guard, 
before us to lead, 
behind us to protect, 
beneath us to support, 
above us to bless.

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

++++
Today's Celtic Rite of Compline from the Northumbria Community is here:

ff
Ebba was the sister of Oswald and Oswy, who were both kings of Northumbria. She was consecrated a nun by Aidan and founded the ‘double’ (i.e. there were both men and women there) monastery at Coldingham, situated on St Abbs’s Head (which was subsequently named after her). Ebba died in the year 683. Bede described her as a ‘pious woman and a handmaid of Christ.’
If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.
+ (silently)
* Find rest, O my soul, in God alone:
my hope comes from Him.
Come I this night to the Father,
come I this night to the Son,
come I to the Holy Spirit powerful:
come I this night to God.
Come I this night with Christ,
come I with the Spirit of kindness.
Come I to Thee, Jesus.
Jesus, shelter me.
* I will lie down and sleep.
I wake again,
because the Lord sustains me.
* By day the Lord directs His love;
at night His song is with me –
a prayer to the God of my life.
* Be strong and take heart,
all you who hope in the Lord.
* This dwelling, O God, by Thee be blest;
and each one who here this night does rest.
* May God be in my sleep;
may Christ be in my dreams.
May the Spirit be in my repose,
in my thoughts, in my heart.
In my soul always
may the Sacred Three dwell.
May the Father of heaven
have care of my soul,
His loving arm about my body,
through each slumber
and sleep of my life.
The Son of God be shielding me from harm,
the Son of God be shielding me from ill,
the Son of God be shielding me with power.
The Son of God be shielding me this night.
* Sleep, O sleep in the calm of each calm.
Sleep, O sleep in the guidance of all guidance.
Sleep, O sleep in the love of all loves.
Sleep, O beloved, in the Lord of life.
Sleep, O beloved, in the God of life.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.


Meditation Day 12
Restoration Song
God called forth a people, and we responded to His call
‘Rebuild this ancient ruin, restore my city walls.’
He has led us day by day, as we listened to His voice
and we were fed on finest wheat, and manna from the skies.
When we started, we were strangers. We hardly knew each other’s names.
Now we are brothers and sisters, and we will never be the same.
As we built, brick by brick, we discovered the corner stone,
and as we let Him mould and fashion us, He built us up in love.
Now we have seen, and we have heard, that the Lord our God is great.
For a wilderness has been transformed, into His holy place.

Gerry Tuohy

++++

Good Night Dear Ones! I love you! I give thanks to God for you this day and always.

Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love,

Sara

Resources
Satucket Lectionary
Episcopal Church Liturgical Calendar
Bible Gateway
A New Zealand Prayer Book
The Northumbria Community
Enriching Our Worship 1
A to Z Quotes
Book of Common Prayer

PRAYER OF THE FARM WORKERS’ STRUGGLE
Show me the suffering of the most miserable;
So I will know my people’s plight.
Free me to pray for others;
For you are present in every person.
Help me take responsibility for my own life;
So that Ican be free at last.
Grant me courage to serve others;
For in service there is" true life.
Give me honesty and patience;
So that I can work with other workers.
Bring forth song and celebration;
So that the Spirit will be alive among us.
Let the Spirit flourish anti grow;
So that we will never tire of the struggle.
Let us remember those who have died for justice;
For they have given us life.
Help us love even those who hate us;
So we can change the world.
Amen.
Written by Cesar E. Chavez, UFW Founder (1927-1993)
Cesar E. Chavez Foundation 1741 s. Harvard Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90006

213-733-6346 e-mail <chavezfdtn@igc.apc.or



Optional lessons from the feast of Francis de Sales and Jane Chantal

Most Gracious God, who has bidden us to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly before you; Teach us, like your servants Francis and Jane, to see and to serve Christ in all people; that we may know him to be the giver of all good things, through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

First Lesson: Micah 6:6–8
6 ‘With what shall I come before the Lord,
       and bow myself before God on high?
   Shall I come before him with burnt-offerings,
       with calves a year old?
7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
       with tens of thousands of rivers of oil?
   Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
       the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?’
8 He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
       and what does the Lord require of you
   but to do justice, and to love kindness,
       and to walk humbly with your God?

Psalm: Psalm 34
1 I will bless the Lord at all times; *
       his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
2 I will glory in the Lord; *
       let the humble hear and rejoice.
3 Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;
       let us exalt his Name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me *
       and delivered me out of all my terror.
5 Look upon him and be radiant, *
       and let not your faces be ashamed.
6 I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me *
       and saved me from all my troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encompasses those who fear him, *
       and he will deliver them.
8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; *
       happy are they who trust in him!
9 Fear the Lord, you that are his saints, *
       for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The young lions lack and suffer hunger, *
       but those who seek the Lord lack nothing that is good.
11 Come, children, and listen to me; *
       I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 Who among you loves life *
       and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
13 Keep your tongue from evil-speaking *
       and your lips from lying words.
14 Turn from evil and do good; *
       seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, *
       and his ears are open to their cry.
16 The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, *
       to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
17 The righteous cry, and the Lord hears them *
       and delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted *
       and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
19 Many are the troubles of the righteous, *
       but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
20 He will keep safe all his bones; *
       not one of them shall be broken.
21 Evil shall slay the wicked, *
       and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
22 The Lord ransoms the life of his servants, *
       and none will be punished who trust in him.

Gospel: John 17:1–26
1 After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to heaven and said, ‘Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. 5 So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.

6 ‘I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; 8 for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. 11 And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves.14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. 15 I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one.16 They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

20 ‘I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

25 ‘Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.’

+++++

No comments:

Post a Comment