Saturday, January 25, 2020

It is time to stop the glorification of busy and make vigil and pray! Tonight's keyword is #Conversion




Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Saturday! I hope everyone has been enjoying our exploration into trailblazing. Today is the Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul. Our keyword that we are adding to our retreat mix is conversion. 
If you know me by now, you know what time it is! It is time to get our thesaurus ready and warmed up to ponder this incredible word. But first. We need to engage in a time of centering and getting ready to make vigil.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

+++

"We are not converted only once in our lives but many times and this endless series of conversions and inner revolutions leads to our transformation." ~ Thomas Merton

"Living a spiritual life requires a change of heart, a conversion. Such a conversion may be marked by a sudden inner change, or it can take place through a long, quiet process of transformation. But it always involves an inner experience of oneness." ~ Henri Nouwen

"If conversion makes no improvements in a man's outward actions then I think his 'conversion' was largely imaginary." ~ C. S. Lewis

"The great  #‎ conversion  called for by Jesus is to move from belonging to the world to belonging to God." ~ Henri Nouwen


"Conversion does not make us perfect, but it does catapult us into a total experience of discipleship that affects - and infects - every sphere of our living." ~ Richard J. Foster

"Prayer at its highest is a two-way conversation - and for me the most important part is listening to God's replies." ~ Frank Laubach

"A conversion is a lonely experience." ~ Dorothy Day

"Love is a choice — not simply, or necessarily, a rational choice, but rather a willingness to be present to others without pretense or guide. Love is a conversion to humanity — a willingness to participate with others in the healing of a broken world and broken lives. Love is the choice to experience life as a member of the human family, a partner in the dance of life." ~ Carter Heyward

"Surely conversion is a matter between man and his Maker who alone knows his creatures' hearts. A conversion without a clean heart is, in my opinion, a denial of God and Religion. Conversion without cleanliness of heart can only be a matter of sorrow, not joy, to a godly person." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"When Jesus stepped into the waters of the Jordan and was baptized by John the Baptist, he did so not because he was in need of repentance, or conversion: he did it to be among people who need forgiveness, among us sinners, and to take upon himself the burden of our sins." ~ Pope Francis

"Why are black folks singing Amazing Grace which is a song about a white slaver's conversion?" ~ Dick Gregory

"Now are the days, of humblest prayer,
When consciences to God lie bare,
And mercy most delights to spare.
Oh hearken when we cry.
Now is the season, wisely long,
Of sadder thought and graver song,
When ailing souls grow well and strong.
Oh hearken when we cry.
The feast of penance! Oh so bright,
With true conversion's heavenly light,
Like sunrise after stormy night!
Oh hearken when we cry.
Oh happy time of blessed tears,
Of surer hopes, of chast'ning fears,
Undoing all our evil years.
Oh hearken when we cry.
Chastise us with Thy fear;
Yet, Father! in the multitude
Of Thy compassions, hear!" ~ Frederick William Faber


Come let us worship:


I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what he has entrusted to me. 2 Timothy 1:12

I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me. Galatians 2:20

Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. Isaiah 60: 1

A voice came from heaven, saying, ‘This is my beloved Son with whom I am well pleased.’ Matthew 3:17

O Lord my God you are great indeed, you are clothed in majesty and splendour. You cover yourself with light as it were with a garment. Psalm 104:1, 2

I have seen it myself, and bear witness, that this is the chosen one of God. John 1:34

Jesus said, ‘I am the light of the world; those who follow me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’ John 8:12

According to the riches of God’s glory, may you be strengthened with the might through the Holy Spirit in your inner being, and may Christ dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge; that you may be filled with the fulness of God. Ephesians 3:16-19

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty, Mirror of God’s eternal face, Transparent flame of love’s free duty, You bring salvation to our race.

Now, as we see the lights of evening, We raise our voice in hymns of praise; Worthy are you of endless blessing, Sun of our night, lamp of our days. 



It is now time for our Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil. Let us light our candles and pray for our country and the nations of the world who find themselves in the grip of hatred and fear. We pray that Love and kindness will replace them and that we may be CALM (Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful) Children of God and see God in each other's eyes! 


THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES -Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.

For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.

May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.


SLOW US DOWN…YET ALSO -Anonymous

Slow us down, O God. Ease the pounding of our hearts by the quieting of our minds;

Yet also, wake us up. Shake the complacency out of our souls by opening our minds to the cry of the wounded, the refugees wandering without homes, the homeless at home, and the children who starve.

Steady our hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time;

Yet also, quicken our steps with a vision of the urgent action now required to cure the causes of stunted growth, premature death, battered women, and abused children.

Give us, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlast ing hills;

Yet also, alert our eyes not to the comforting illusion of constancy divorced from change, but rather to such sharp reality as deep poverty surrounding us at home and abroad.

Break the tensions of our nerves and muscles with the soothing mu sic of the singing streams;

Yet also, give us, amid the calm days of our years, souls which are prepared to cope with the confusion necessarily occurring amidst new creation in the cities, towns, and the countries of the earth.

Help us to know the magical, restoring power of sleep;

Yet also, break the chains of euphoria deluding us to think that we are acting responsibly when we do no more than listen to music which protects our feet from marching.

Remind us of the fable of the hare and the tortoise, that we may know that there is more to life than increasing its speed;

Yet also, remind us of the fable of the astrologer who fell plumb to the bottom of a well, not seeing his feet while reading the sky.

Slow us down, O God, and inspire us to send our roots deep into the soil of life’s enduring values, that we may grow more surely toward the stars;

Yet also, wake us up, so our eyes may see the people around us and our arms may be open to embrace the suffering who cry.



A Smudging Prayer 

Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh: A Litany for Peace

As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.
Silence
Let us pay attention to our breathing.
Silence
Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.
Silence
Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.
Silence
Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.
Silence
Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.
Silence
Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.
Silence
Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.
Silence
Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.
Silence
With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.



IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.

You are my other me.

Si te hago daño a ti,

If I do harm to you,

Me hago daño a mi mismo.

I do harm to myself.

Si te amo y respeto,

If I love and respect you,

Me amo y respeto yo.

I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez



FOR WORLD NEIGHBORLINESS - Peter Marshall

O God, we pray for a broader vision of the needs of humanity, and a deeper compassion to fill those needs; for a planting of the seeds of concern for all humanity in our hearts; for a tapping of the wells of generosity.

May we live together as people who have been forgiven a great debt.

May we be gentle, walking softly with one another.

May we be understanding, lest we shall add to the world’s sorrow or cause to flow needless tears.

May we be as anxious for the rights of others as we are for our own.

May we be as eager to forgive as we are to seek forgiveness.

May we know no barriers of creed or race or sex, that our love may be like Yours—a love that sees all people as Your children and our kin.

May we be ministers of humanity.


Diann Neu: Blessed Be Our Hands

Blessed be the work of our hands.

Blessed be these hands that touch life.

Blessed be these hands that nurture creativity.

Blessed be these hands that hold pain.

Blessed be these hands that embrace with passion.

Blessed be these hands that tend gardens.

Blessed bed these hands that close in anger.

Blessed be these hands that plant new seeds.

Blessed be these hands that harvest ripe fields.

Blessed be these hands that clean, wash, mop, scrub.

Blessed be these hands that become knotty with age.

Blessed be these hands that wrinkle and scar from doing justice.

Blessed are these hands that reach out and are received.

Blessed are these hands that hold the promise of the future.

Blessed be the works of our hands and hearts.


Howard Thurman: Prayers

I LAY BARE BEFORE YOU
The concern which I lay bare before You today is:
Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me—I would seek the root or cause of such disaffection, and with the illumination of Your mind, O God, to understand it.
I give myself to Your scrutiny that, whatever there may be in me that is responsible for what has happened, I will acknowledge.
Where I have wronged or given offense deliberately or without intention, I seek a face-to-face forgiveness.
What I can undo I am willing to try; what I cannot undo, with that I seek to make my peace.
How to do these things, what techniques to use, with what spirit—for these I need and seek Your wisdom and strength, O God.
Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me, I lay bare before You.

OUR LITTLE LIVES
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!
The quietness in Your temple of silence again and again rebuffs us:
For some there is no discipline to hold them steady in the waiting,
And the minds reject the noiseless invasion of Your spirit.
For some there is no will to offer what is central in the thoughts—
The confusion is so manifest, there is no starting place to take hold.
For some the evils of the world tear down all concentrations
And scatter the focus of the high resolves.
The threat of war covers us with heavy shadows,
Making the days big with forebodings—
The nights crowded with frenzied dreams and restless churnings.
We do not know how to do what we know to do.
We do not know how to be what we know to be.
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!
Brood over our spirits, Creator;
Blow upon whatever dream You have for us,
That there may glow once again upon our hearths
The light from Your altar.
Pour out upon us whatever our spirits need of shock, of life, of release
That we may find strength for these days—
Courage and hope for tomorrow.
In confidence we rest in Your sustaining grace
Which makes possible triumph in defeat, gain in loss, and love in hate.
We rejoice this day to say:
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!


A LITANY OF THANKSGIVING

In Your presence, O God, we make our Sacrament of Thanksgiving.

We begin with the simple things of our days:
Fresh air to breathe,
Cool water to drink,
The taste of food,
The protection of houses and clothes,
The comforts of home.
For all these we make an act of Thanksgiving this day!

We bring to mind all the warmth of humankind that we have known:

Our mothers’ arms,
The strength of our fathers,
The playmates of our childhood,
The wonderful stories brought to us from the lives of many who
talked of days gone by when fairies and giants and diverse kinds
of magic held sway;
The tears we have shed, the tears we have seen;
The excitement of laughter and the twinkle in the eye with
its reminder that life is good.
For all these we make an act of Thanksgiving this day.

I NEED YOU

I need Your sense of time. Always I have an underlying anxiety about things. Sometimes I am in a hurry to achieve my ends and am completely without patience. It is hard for me to realize that some growth is slow, that not all processes are swift. I cannot discriminate between what takes time to develop and what can be rushed because my sense of time is dulled. O to understand the meaning of perspective that I may do all things with a profound sense of leisure of time.

I need Your sense of order. The confusion of the details of living is sometimes overwhelming. The little things keep getting in my way, providing ready-made excuses for failure to do and be what I know I ought to do and be. Much time is spent on things that are not very important while significant things are put in an insignificant place in my scheme of order. I must unscramble my affairs so that my life will become order. O God, I need Your sense of order.

I need Your sense of the future. Teach me to know that life is ever on the side of the future. Keep alive in me the future look, the high hope. Let me not be frozen either by the past or the present. Grant me, O Patient One, Your sense of the future without which all life would sicken and die.




From The Resistance Prays
Let our prayers be silent. Let our work be visible. Let love be loud. So be it.

119: 89-112


Lamedh In Æternum, Domine

89 O Lord, your word is everlasting; *
it stands firm in the heavens.

90 Your faithfulness remains from one generation to another; *
you established the earth, and it abides.

91 By your decree these continue to this day, *
for all things are your servants.

92 If my delight had not been in your law, *
I should have perished in my affliction.

93 I will never forget your commandments, *
because by them you give me life.

94 I am yours; oh, that you would save me! *
for I study your commandments.

95 Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me, *
I will apply my mind to your decrees.

96 I see that all things come to an end, *
but your commandment has no bounds.

Mem Quomodo dilexi!

97 Oh, how I love your law! *
all the day long it is in my mind.

98 Your commandment has made me wiser than my enemies, *
and it is always with me.

99 I have more understanding than all my teachers, *
for your decrees are my study.

100 I am wiser than the elders, *
because I observe your commandments.

101 I restrain my feet from every evil way, *
that I may keep your word.

102 I do not shrink from your judgments, *
because you yourself have taught me.

103 How sweet are your words to my taste! *
they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.

104 Through your commandments I gain understanding; *
therefore I hate every lying way.


Nun Lucerna pedibus meis

105 Your word is a lantern to my feet *
and a light upon my path.

106 I have sworn and am determined *
to keep your righteous judgments.

107 I am deeply troubled; *
preserve my life, O Lord, according to your word.

108 Accept, O Lord, the willing tribute of my lips, *
and teach me your judgments.

109 My life is always in my hand, *
yet I do not forget your law.

110 The wicked have set a trap for me, *
but I have not strayed from your commandments.

111 Your decrees are my inheritance for ever; *
truly, they are the joy of my heart.

112 I have applied my heart to fulfill your statutes *
for ever and to the end.


Sirach 39:1-10

39He seeks out the wisdom of all the ancients,
   and is concerned with prophecies; 
2 he preserves the sayings of the famous
   and penetrates the subtleties of parables; 
3 he seeks out the hidden meanings of proverbs
   and is at home with the obscurities of parables. 
4 He serves among the great
   and appears before rulers;
he travels in foreign lands
   and learns what is good and evil in the human lot. 
5 He sets his heart on rising early
   to seek the Lord who made him,
   and to petition the Most High;
he opens his mouth in prayer
   and asks pardon for his sins. 


6 If the great Lord is willing,
   he will be filled with the spirit of understanding;
he will pour forth words of wisdom of his own
   and give thanks to the Lord in prayer. 
7 The Lord* will direct his counsel and knowledge,
   as he meditates on his mysteries. 
8 He will show the wisdom of what he has learned,
   and will glory in the law of the Lord’s covenant. 
9 Many will praise his understanding;
   it will never be blotted out.
His memory will not disappear,
   and his name will live through all generations. 
10 Nations will speak of his wisdom,
   and the congregation will proclaim his praise.

Hymn.

Be thou my vision, O Christ of my heart, 
Be all else but naught to me save that thou art, 
Be thou my best thought in the day and the night, 
Both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Riches I heed not, nor folk’s empty praise, 
Be thou my inheritance now and always,
Be thou and thou only the first in my heart, 
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.


The Song of Zechariah Benedictus Dominus Deus

Blessed are you, Lord, the God of Israel, *
you have come to your people and set them free.

You have raised up for us a mighty Savior, * born of the house of your servant David.

 Through your holy prophets you promised of old to save us from our enemies, *

from the hands of all who hate us, To show mercy to our forebears, *

and to remember your holy covenant.
This was the oath you swore to our father Abraham, *

to set us free from the hands of our enemies, Free to worship you without fear, *

holy and righteous before you,

all the days of our life.
And you, child, shall be called the prophet

of the Most High, *
for you will go before the Lord to prepare the way,

To give God’s people knowledge of salvation * by the forgiveness of their sins.

In the tender compassion of our God *
the dawn from on high shall break upon us,

To shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death, *

and to guide our feet into the way of peace. 

Acts 9:1-22

The Conversion of Saul

9Meanwhile Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any who belonged to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3Now as he was going along and approaching Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 4He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?’ 5He asked, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ The reply came, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6But get up and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.’ 7The men who were travelling with him stood speechless because they heard the voice but saw no one. 8Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9For three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

10 Now there was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, ‘Ananias.’ He answered, ‘Here I am, Lord.’ 11The Lord said to him, ‘Get up and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul. At this moment he is praying, 12and he has seen in a vision* a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight.’ 13But Ananias answered, ‘Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints in Jerusalem; 14and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who invoke your name.’ 15But the Lord said to him, ‘Go, for he is an instrument whom I have chosen to bring my name before Gentiles and kings and before the people of Israel; 16I myself will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.’ 17So Ananias went and entered the house. He laid his hands on Saul* and said, ‘Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on your way here, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.’ 18And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and his sight was restored. Then he got up and was baptized, 19and after taking some food, he regained his strength.

Saul Preaches in Damascus

For several days he was with the disciples in Damascus, 20and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, ‘He is the Son of God.’ 21All who heard him were amazed and said, ‘Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem among those who invoked this name? And has he not come here for the purpose of bringing them bound before the chief priests?’ 22Saul became increasingly more powerful and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus* was the Messiah.*

Hymn:

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.

A Song of Our Adoption

Ephesians 1:3-10

Blessed are you, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, * for you have blessed us in Christ
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

Before the world was made, you chose us to be yours in Christ, * that we should be holy and blameless before you.

You destined us for adoption as your children through Jesus Christ, *according to the good pleasure of your will, 

To the praise of your glorious grace, *that you have freely given us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption through the blood of Christ,the forgiveness of our sins, According to the riches of your grace *which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight, *the mystery of your will,

According to your good pleasure which you set forth in Christ, *as a plan for the fullness of time,

To gather together all things in Christ, *things in heaven and things on earth. 


Matthew 10:16-22

Coming Persecutions

16 ‘See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. 17Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; 18and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. 19When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; 20for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 21Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; 22and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

 A New Unsettling force - Luke Nephew

We’re a new unsettling force
And we are powerful a new
unsettling force
And we’re here, we’re a new
unsettling force
For liberation and we’ve got nothing
to lose but our chains
And we’ve got nothing
to lose but our chains

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant. 

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *

you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you *from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm * and scattered the proud in their conceit,

Casting down the mighty from their thrones * and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things * and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the help of your servant Israel, * for you have remembered your promise of mercy,

The promise made to our forebears, * to Abraham and his children for ever. 


Let us again take time to breathe


Let peace begin in me.
Let peace begin in us.
Let peace begin.

Let peace prevail upon Earth.
Let peace prevail.
Let peace.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Let peace begin in me.
Let peace begin in us.
Let peace begin.

Let peace prevail upon Earth.
Let peace prevail.
Let peace.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Let peace begin in me.
Let peace begin in us.
Let peace begin.

Let peace prevail upon Earth.
Let peace prevail.
Let peace.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.



The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

Or

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.





O God, by the preaching of your apostle Paul you have caused the light of the Gospel to shine throughout the world: Grant, we pray, that we, having his wonderful conversion in remembrance, may show ourselves thankful to you by following his holy teaching; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.(BCP)


Almighty God,
you have caused the light of the gospel
to shine throughout the world
through the preaching of your servant Paul;
grant that we who remember his wonderful conversion
may follow him in bearing witness to your truth;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen. (ANZPB)


Convert us,
Jesus the persecuted,
as you converted Paul
and sent him as apostle to the world.
May our love, our prayers, our suffering
carry your gospel at whatever cost
to all who wait to hear it.
Hear this prayer for your name’s sake.
Amen. (ANZPB)

Let us offer up to God our Thanksgivings and Intentions to practice radical acts of love, kindness, hospitality, and generosity. May we seek to accept those Great A Ha moments from and with God with joy and humble acceptance.

The Beatitudes

When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

God set our bodies, minds, spirits and feet upon this holy year of pilgrimage that our hearts may be ever fixed on You and in your service to all our family members.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.

God we pray that we may spread the Good News to all People with love, faith, and without fear.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.


God give us grace and courage to speak truth to power during this holy year of pilgrimage and stand up for the marginalized and their need for universal human rights.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

God we pray that we may listen to where you call us to go during this time of holy pilgrimage.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.

God help us to have times of oasis and refreshment and learn that being a pilgrim also involves being on retreat.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.

God we pray for all those who are ill and in need of healing. Help us to go and be sent to care for them with healing hands and hearts of love.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.

God we pray that we as pilgrims may also become peacemakers at home and throughout the world.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.

God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of Jesus who taught us how to be pilgrims. Amen.

or these

God as we begin to prepare for Lent and our yearly period of life and soul enrichment, guide us to what we should do.

God we pray for all who are struggling with mental and chronic illnesses.  May they receive healing and help.

God we pray that we may be forgiving towards our enemies, friends, and ourselves.

God we pray that we my practice random acts of kindness and pay it forward.

God we pray for our nation and all nations of the world where there is division and hatred. May we sew seeds of love, mercy, justice, and peace.

God we pray for all who are in abusive situations that they may find sanctuary and courage to leave dangerous relationships. We pray for their family and friends and especially children who are forced to witness terrible abuse.

God we pray and give thanks for families and our friendships that light up our world when our world seems dark.

God we pray for new normals that give us courage to live out our new normals with grace and love.

God help us to know when to speak and when to be quiet.

God may we seek to love others as you love us and not be afraid.  May we love authentically and as we really are.

God help us to know what our faith truly stands for and what it does not and freely speak truth to power lovingly and speak and spread the Good News boldly as Jesus did.

God we pray for__________________

God we lift up our prayers in the Name of you only Son Jesus. Amen. 


Selected prayers from the BCP (Book of Common Prayer)

Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of our fathers, creator
of the changes of day and night, giving rest to the weary,
renewing the strength of those who are spent, bestowing
upon us occasions of song in the evening. As you have
protected us in the day that is past, so be with us in the
coming night; keep us from every sin, every evil, and every
fear; for you are our light and salvation, and the strength of
our life. To you be glory for endless ages. Amen

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

O God our shield and armor of light, whom we adore with all the angelic host: defend us from evil; watch over any who are in danger this night and give your angels charge over them; and grant that we may always rejoice in your heavenly protection and serve you bravely in the world; through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Holy Wisdom, in your loving kindness you created and restored us when we were lost: inspire us with your truth, that we may love you with our whole minds and run to you with open hearts, through Christ our Savior. Amen.(source: Alcuin of York, Mass of Wisdom) 

“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.” Teresa of Avila 


Loving Jesus: Protect and sustain us with your hand. Open the door of your love that, sealed with your wisdom, we may be free to serve you with joy.Amen. (a prayer of St. Gertrude)
Jesus, you are the way through the wilderness: show us your truth in which we journey, and by the grace of the Holy Spirit be in us the life that draws us to God. Amen.
(source: F.B. McNutt, The Prayer Manual [London: Mowbray, 1961], p. 29, adapted) 


The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.



The Wisdom of God the Love of God and the Grace of God strengthen you to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world, in the name of the Holy Trinity.Amen. (source: Celtic)

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.(source: from Saint Clare) 

Let us bless the God our Creator, Jesus our Redeemer, the Holy Spirit our Advocate and Guide.
Thanks be to God.

++++++
Today's wish: Be who you are and let the world see you shine with the secret sauce God has given you! The secret sauce is Love!
+++++


Good Night Dearly Loved Ones! Have a blessed night here in our holy and healing circle of love. I love you all! I give thanks to God for you always.
A few  bonus prayers, blessings, and a morning prayer from the Celtic tradition.


I lay my head to rest,
and in doing so,
lay at your feet
the faces I have seen,
the voices I have heard,
the words I have spoken,
the hands I have shaken,
the service I have given,
the joys I have shared,
the sorrows revealed,
I lay them at your feet,
and in doing so
lay my head to rest.


God to enfold me,
God to surround me,
God in my speaking,
God in my thinking.

God in my sleeping,
God in my waking,
God in my watching,
God in my hoping.

God in my life,
God in my lips,
God in my soul,
God in my heart.

God in my sufficing,
God in my slumber,
God in mine ever-living soul,
God in mine eternity.

(Ancient celtic oral traditions - carmina gadelica)

Deep peace I breathe into you, 
O weariness, here: 
O ache, here! 
Deep peace, a soft white dove to You; 
Deep peace, a quiet rain to you; 
Deep peace, an ebbing wave to you! 
Deep peace, red wind of the east from you; 
Deep peace, grey wind of the west to You; 
Deep peace, dark wind of the north from you; 
Deep peace, blue wind of the south to you! 
Deep peace, pure red of the flame to you; 
Deep peace, pure white of the moon to you; 
Deep peace, pure green of the grass to you; 
Deep peace, pure brown of the earth to you; 
Deep peace, pure grey of the dew to you, 
Deep peace, pure blue of the sky to you! 
Deep peace of the running wave to you, 
Deep peace of the flowing air to you, 
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you, 
Deep peace of the sleeping stones to you! 
Deep peace of the Yellow Shepherd to you, 
Deep peace of the Wandering Shepherdess to you, 
Deep peace of the Flock of Stars to you, 
Deep peace from the Son of Peace to you, 
Deep peace from the heart of Mary to you, 
And from Briget of the Mantle 
Deep peace, deep peace! 
And with the kindness too of the Haughty Father 
Peace! 
In the name of the Three who are One, 
Peace! And by the will of the King of the Elements, 
Peace! Peace!

(From "The Dominion of Dreams. Under the Dark Star 
by Fiona Macleod (William Sharp,1895))

I arise today
Through a mighty strength:
God's power to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's eyes to watch over me;
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to give me speech,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to shelter me,
God's host to secure me.

(first millenium - bridgid of gael)

With love, blessings,  in heartfelt gratitude and thankfulness 

Sara

Resources
BCPONLINE
Enriching Our Worship
In Lak' Ech - Luis Valdez
Metis Aboriginal Ministries - Smudging Prayer
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Quote Sites for prayers.
Satucket Lectionary for lessons and Saint or Feast of the Day : The Conversion of Saint Paul
http://satucket.com/lectionary/Conversion_Paul.htm



Synonym  Time!

Keyword- #conversion
Which of these remind you of you and St. Paul?

Synonyms for conversion | noun change, adaptation

alteration
changeover
growth
modification
reconstruction
reorganization
switch
transformation
about-face
exchange
flip-flop
flux
innovation
metamorphosis
novelty
passage
passing
permutation
progress
qualification
reclamation
reformation
regeneration
resolution
resolving
reversal
transfiguration
translation
transmogrification
transmutation
turning
born again
change of heart
metanoia
metasis
proselytization
remodelling
see the light
turning around








No comments:

Post a Comment