Friday, February 21, 2020

We Speak The Names of Hans and Sophie Scholl - #HashTagsWith Meaning: #NonViolentResistors #WhiteRose



Good Evening Dear Ones!

Tonight we speak the names of Hans and Sophie Scholl who were martyred during the Third Reich. They were part of the German Resistance movement The White Rose.  We remember them today as a reminder that we ourselves may be martyred for the cause of freedom and human rights. We will meditate upon their quotes as we begin our time of worship.  We light candles and make vigil in their memory and honor.






"Who among us has any conception of the dimensions of shame that will befall us and our children when one day the veil has fallen from our eyes and the most horrible of crimes...reach the light of day?" ~ Hans Scholl

"How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause. Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?" ~ Sophie Scholl

"I knew what I took upon myself and I was prepared to lose my life by so doing." ~ Hans Scholl

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone" ~ Sophie Scholl

"It's high time that Christians made up their minds to do something . . . What are we going to show in the way of resistance-as compared to the Communists, for instance-when all this terror is over? We will be standing empty-handed. We will have no answer when we are asked: What did you do about it?" ~ Hans Scholl

"It's the reductionist approach to life: if you keep it small, you'll keep it under control. If you don't make any noise, the bogeyman won't find you. But it's all an illusion, because they die too, those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what? Life is always on the edge of death; narrow streets lead to the same place as wide avenues, and a little candle burns itself out just like a flaming torch does. I choose my own way to burn." ~ Sophie Scholl

"Laws change. Conscience doesn't." ~ Sophie Scholl

"I shall cling to the rope God has thrown me in Jesus Christ, even if my numb hands can no longer feel it." ~ Sophie Scholl

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did." ~ Sophie Scholl

"One must have a tough mind, and a soft heart." ~ Sophie Scholl

"I am, now as before, of the opinion that I did the best that I could do for my nation. I therefore do not regret my conduct and will bear the consequences that result from my conduct." ~ Sophie Scholl

"And I could weep at how mean people are and how they betray their fellow creatures, perhaps for the sake of personal advantage. It is enough to make a person lose heart sometimes. I often wish I lived on a Robinson Crusoe island." ~ Sophie Scholl

"An end in terror is preferable to terror without end." ~ Sophie Scholl

"I've been thinking of a story from the Old Testament: Moses stood all day and all night with outstretched arms, praying to God for victory. And whenever he let down his arms, the enemy prevailed over the children of Israel. Are there still people today who never weary of directing all their thinking and all their energy, single-heartedly, to one cause?" ~ Sophie Scholl

"How can we expect fate to let a righteous cause prevail when there is hardly anyone who will give himself up undividedly to a righteous cause?" ~ Sophie Scholl

"Many people think of our times as being the last before the end of the world. The evidence of horror all around us makes this seem possible. But isn't that an idea of only minor importance? Doesn't every human being, no matter which era he lives in, always have to reckon with being accountable to God at any moment? Can I know whether I'll be alive tomorrow morning? A bomb could destroy all of us tonight. And then my guilt would not be one bit less than if I perished together with the earth and the stars." ~ Sophie Scholl


"I know that life is a doorway to eternity, and yet my heart so often gets lost in petty anxieties. It forgets the great way home that lies before it." ~ Sophie Scholl

"The sun still shines." ~ Sophie Scholl

"It is such a splendid sunny day and I have to go." ~ Sophie Scholl

Additional quotes to meditate upon!

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality." ~ Desmond Tutu

"If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Jesus called for nonviolent resistance to Rome and just distribution of land and food. He was crucified because he threatened Roman stability -- not as a sacrifice to God for humanity's sins." ~ John Dominic Crossan

"I firmly believe that the Gandhian philosophy of nonviolent resistance is the only logical and moral approach to the solution of the race problem in the United States." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it." ~ Albert Einstein

Come let us worship!



"God, you are my refuge into eternity" ~ Sophie Scholl

You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but citizens together
with the saints and members of the household of God.
Ephesians 2:19

It is the God who said, Let light shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:6-10



Call to remembrance, O Lord, your tender care
and the unfailing love
which you have shown from of old.
  Do not remember the sins and offences of my youth:
but according to your mercy
remember me, Lord, in your goodness.
  You O Lord are upright and good
therefore you show the path to those who go astray.
  You guide the humble to do what is right,
and those who are gentle you teach your way.
  All your ways are loving and sure
to those who keep your covenant
and your commandments. Psalm 25:5-9

How blest are the sorrowful;
they shall find consolation. Matthew 5:4

The Lamb who is at the heart of the throne
will be their shepherd and will guide them
to the springs of the water of life;
and God will wipe all tears from their eyes. Revelation 7:17



Light of the World Phos hilaron
Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.

For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.

May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.





In Lak 'Ech

Tú eres mi otro yo.

You are my other me.

Si te hago daño a ti,

If I do harm to you,

Me hago daño a mi mismo.

I do harm to myself.

Si te amo y respeto,

If I love and respect you,

Me amo y respeto yo.

I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez





How good and pleasant a thing it is when God’s people live together in unity. Psalm 133:1

"We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." ~ Thurgood Marshall


"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen


A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.






Confession of Need

Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.

May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.


From the Resistance Prays

Then he began to say to them, “Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?” He said to them, “Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, ‘Doctor, cure yourself!’ And you will say, ‘Do here also in your hometown the things that we have heard you did at Capernaum.’” And he said, “Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in the prophet’s hometown. But the truth is, there were many widows in Israel in the time of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, and there was a severe famine over all the land; yet Elijah was sent to none of them except to a widow at Zarephath in Sidon. There were also many lepers[a] in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian.” When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage. They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff. But he passed through the midst of them and went on his way.

-Luke 4: 21-30, New Revised Standard Version

Word of God,

Who continues to speak

Truth to power,

Courage to fear,

Peace to our restlessness


We thank you for your words

That our neighbors and our own selves

Are brave enough to embody


We thank you for your wisdom

That cries out

Through presence and protest

Through silence shared and kept


Help us to embody your words of release

For the sake of others, for our own souls,

And for your reign

Which breaks in and sings out

Even now


Amen

God we make vigil tonight for the healing of ourselves, our families, and the planet. Give us the courage to accept your healing and pray for the healing of others. Help us to pray with kind words, healing words, and loving words. Let us enter in holy silence as we make this vigil for healing.

Heal our bodies O God.

Heal our minds O God.

Heal our spirits O God.

Heal our hearts O God.

Heal our emotions O God.

Heal our fears  O God.

Heal our lives O God.

Heal everyone and everything that lives on this planet O God.

Heal the Nations O God.

Heal divisions wherever we are O God.

Heal the world of hatred,  racism, bigotry, abuse, white supremacy, terror, and all isms and obias O God.

Heal what ever is on our hearts during this vigil time and help us to pray and set it free and make us whole O God.

Heal_____________________ O God.

Hear our Prayers, and Heal us O God.



Let us now pray to God who is Love.

God of Love we pray that in this year to come we may practice random acts of kindness and love radically and more fully than we ever have before.

God of  Love we pray that we may not hate, troll, bully, snipe, or be mean in social media and elsewhere.

God of Love we pray that we may practice being CALM (Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful)

God of Love help us to use right behavior and manners with one another keeping kindness and love uppermost in our minds.

God of Love we pray that we may love one another not half-heartedly but fully and with out  fear.

God of Love we  pray for the healing of divisions throughout our land in war-torn nations. May love and peace prevail in this your fragile and broken world.

God of Love we pray for the healing of those who are ill in body, mind, and spirit. We remember ______________________ and all of our family members and those who have asked us to pray for.

God of Love we pray for all those who are homeless, hungry, and have nowhere to lay their heads in this cold weather. May they have courage to seek shelter and the many warming centers that are available. Protect them and keep them safe from harm.

God of Love we pray for all pets and all animals who aren't being protected from the cold weather. May the owners of their pets show loving concern for their fluffy family members.

God of Love we pray for justice, universal human rights and the courage to lovingly respond to those who are voiceless and need us to speak truth to power.

God of Love be with our family members who grieve losses that are new and those that are ongoing.
Give us compassionate hearts to love them through dark times and show them the light of your love.

God of Love we pray for all of our family members who live in the Thin Places where eternal joy and light are to be found.

God of Love we pray for all our family members who have children in school who are struggling to fit in and be accepted. We pray for those who have learning disabilities and have trouble learning and concentrating. We pray for patient teachers and parents.

God of Love we pray for the protection of our most vulnerable family members remembering children, elderly, differently-abled, those with memory disorders.

God of Love we pray for all our family members who are awaiting surgery and who are hospitalized.

God of Love we pray for ___________________________

God of Love we give thanks for______________________

God of Love we celebrate____________________________

God of Love we remember___________________________

We lay these our prayers at the feet of Jesus who is Love incarnate and in His Most Holy Name. Amen.

++++
31 In te, Domine, speravi

1 In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame; *
deliver me in your righteousness.

2 Incline your ear to me; *
make haste to deliver me.

3 Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
for you are my crag and my stronghold; *
for the sake of your Name, lead me and guide me.

4 Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me, *
for you are my tower of strength.

5 Into your hands I commend my spirit, *
for you have redeemed me,
O Lord, O God of truth.

121 Levavi oculos

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills; *
from where is my help to come?

2 My help comes from the Lord, *
the maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot be moved *
and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.

4 Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel *
shall neither slumber nor sleep;

5 The Lord himself watches over you; *
the Lord is your shade at your right hand,

6 So that the sun shall not strike you by day, *
nor the moon by night.

7 The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; *
it is he who shall keep you safe.

8 The Lord shall watch over your going out and
your coming in, *
from this time forth for evermore.



Isaiah 53:8-12

8 By a perversion of justice he was taken away.
   Who could have imagined his future?
For he was cut off from the land of the living,
   stricken for the transgression of my people. 
9 They made his grave with the wicked
   and his tomb* with the rich,*
although he had done no violence,
   and there was no deceit in his mouth. 


10 Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him with pain.*
When you make his life an offering for sin,*
   he shall see his offspring, and shall prolong his days;
through him the will of the Lord shall prosper. 
11   Out of his anguish he shall see light;*
he shall find satisfaction through his knowledge.
   The righteous one,* my servant, shall make many righteous,
   and he shall bear their iniquities. 
12 Therefore I will allot him a portion with the great,
   and he shall divide the spoil with the strong;
because he poured out himself to death,
   and was numbered with the transgressors;
yet he bore the sin of many,
   and made intercession for the transgressors. 

A Song to the Lamb Dignus es
Revelation 4:11;5:9-10,13

Splendor and honor and royal power *
are yours by right, O God Most High,
For you created everything that is, *
and by your will they were created and have their being;
And yours by right, O Lamb that was slain, *
for with your blood you have redeemed for God,
From every family, language, people, and nation, *
a royal priesthood to serve our God.
And so, to the One who sits upon the throne, *
and to Christ the Lamb,
Be worship and praise, dominion and splendor, *
for ever and for evermore.


Sirach 51:1-12

Prayer of Jesus Son of Sirach *

51I give you thanks, O Lord and King,
   and praise you, O God my Saviour.
I give thanks to your name, 
2   for you have been my protector and helper
and have delivered me from destruction
   and from the trap laid by a slanderous tongue,
   from lips that fabricate lies.
In the face of my adversaries
   you have been my helper 3and delivered me,
   in the greatness of your mercy and of your name,
from grinding teeth about to devour me,
   from the hand of those seeking my life,
   from the many troubles I endured, 
4 from choking fire on every side,
   and from the midst of fire that I had not kindled, 
5 from the deep belly of Hades,
   from an unclean tongue and lying words— 
6   the slander of an unrighteous tongue to the king.
My soul drew near to death,
   and my life was on the brink of Hades below. 
7 They surrounded me on every side,
   and there was no one to help me;
I looked for human assistance,
   and there was none. 
8 Then I remembered your mercy, O Lord,
   and your kindness* from of old,
for you rescue those who wait for you
   and save them from the hand of their enemies. 
9 And I sent up my prayer from the earth,
   and begged for rescue from death. 
10 I cried out, ‘Lord, you are my Father;*
   do not forsake me in the days of trouble,
   when there is no help against the proud. 
11 I will praise your name continually,
   and will sing hymns of thanksgiving.’
My prayer was heard, 
12   for you saved me from destruction
   and rescued me in time of trouble.
For this reason I thank you and praise you,
   and I bless the name of the Lord.

Hebrew adds:


Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to the God of praises,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to the guardian of Israel,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to him who formed all things,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to the redeemer of Israel,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to him who gathers the dispersed of Israel,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to him who rebuilt his city and his sanctuary,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to him who makes a horn to sprout for the house of David,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to him who has chosen the sons of Zadok to be priests,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to the shield of Abraham,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to the rock of Isaac,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to the mighty one of Jacob,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to him who has chosen Zion,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


Give thanks to the King of the kings of kings,
   for his mercy endures for ever; 


He has raised up a horn for his people,
   praise for all his loyal ones. 


For the children of Israel, the people close to him.
   Praise the Lord!

A Song of Lamentation
Lamentations 1:12,16; 3:19,22-24,26
Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by? *
Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow,
Which was brought upon me, *
inflicted by God’s fierce anger.
For these things I weep; my eyes flow with tears, *
for a comforter is far from me, one to revive my courage.
Remember my affliction and my bitterness, *
wormwood and gall!
The steadfast love of God never ceases, *
God’s mercies never end.
They are new every morning; *
great is your faithfulness.
“God is my portion,” says my soul, *
“therefore will I hope in God.”
It is good that we should wait quietly *
for the coming of God’s salvation.

Romans 12:14-21

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly;* do not claim to be wiser than you are. 17Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. 18If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God;* for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ 20No, ‘if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.’ 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A Song of Ezekiel
Ezekiel 36:24-28
I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God.


Matthew 5:1–12

The Beatitudes

5When Jesus* saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

3 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 ‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 ‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 ‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely* on my account. 12Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.


A Song of Christ’s Goodness
Anselm of Canterbury
Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.
Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.
You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.
Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.
Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.
Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.
Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.
In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.


We Praise You, O God Te Deum laudamus
We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all worship,
and the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the king of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin’s womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God’s right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come to be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.


Optional Readings!

Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) 51:1-12

Psalm 116
Thanksgiving for Recovery from Illness
1 I love the Lord, because he has heard
    my voice and my supplications.
2 Because he inclined his ear to me,
    therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
3 The snares of death encompassed me;
    the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
    I suffered distress and anguish.
4 Then I called on the name of the Lord:
    “O Lord, I pray, save my life!”
5 Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;
    our God is merciful.
6 The Lord protects the simple;
    when I was brought low, he saved me.
7 Return, O my soul, to your rest,
    for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.
8 For you have delivered my soul from death,
    my eyes from tears,
    my feet from stumbling.
9 I walk before the Lord
    in the land of the living.
10 I kept my faith, even when I said,
    “I am greatly afflicted”;
11 I said in my consternation,
    “Everyone is a liar.”
12 What shall I return to the Lord
    for all his bounty to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
    and call on the name of the Lord,
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord
    is the death of his faithful ones.
16 O Lord, I am your servant;
    I am your servant, the child of your serving girl.
    You have loosed my bonds.
17 I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice
    and call on the name of the Lord.
18 I will pay my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the Lord,
    in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the Lord!



Revelation 7:13-17 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

13 Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, robed in white, and where have they come from?” 14 I said to him, “Sir, you are the one that knows.” Then he said to me, “These are they who have come out of the great ordeal; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

15 For this reason they are before the throne of God,
    and worship him day and night within his temple,
    and the one who is seated on the throne will shelter them.
16 They will hunger no more, and thirst no more;
    the sun will not strike them,
    nor any scorching heat;
17 for the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd,
    and he will guide them to springs of the water of life,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”


Luke 12:2-12 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

2 Nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. 3 Therefore whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed from the housetops.

Exhortation to Fearless Confession
4 “I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that can do nothing more. 5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority[a] to cast into hell.[b] Yes, I tell you, fear him! 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s sight. 7 But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.

8 “And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God; 9 but whoever denies me before others will be denied before the angels of God. 10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. 11 When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, do not worry about how[c] you are to defend yourselves or what you are to say; 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that very hour what you ought to say.”

The Settings of the Lord's Prayer from A New Zealand Prayer Book
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.
or the alternative form.
Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.


May we take time in the silence of our beings to pray and give thanks for the diversity of all peoples.

For the Human Family
O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.

For Peace Among the Nations
Almighty God our heavenly Father, guide the nations of the
world into the way of justice and truth, and establish among
them that peace which is the fruit of righteousness, that they
may become the kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Amen.


For the Diversity of Races and Cultures
O God, who created all peoples in your image, we thank you
for the wonderful diversity of races and cultures in this world.
Enrich our lives by ever-widening circles of fellowship, and
show us your presence in those who differ most from us, until
our knowledge of your love is made perfect in our love for all
your children; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.



Let us take time to sit in quiet solitude and go deeper and meet God in your Soul's Sanctuary!

++++++
Let us all remember that we all need to be like the little children who approached Jesus and he accepted them with open arms. May we all welcome all of our family and friends who are also family with loving, compassionate, and warm loving arms. I wish that I could give each of you a warm and loving embrace of welcome!

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend*. we pray for unity this night and may we never forget that we are to love our friends just as we love you.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend we pray for all  who  haven't felt the strong and loving bond of  friendship.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend we pray for all who are in danger, homeless, hungry, the least of these, refugees, prisoners, captives, and all troops who are currently at war. May we learn that we are to lay down our swords and spears so  that wars may cease.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend, we pray for all of those who are suffering mental illness and do not have loving and supporting friends to care and comfort them.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend, We pray for the healing of all who are ill and are recovering from surgery or are hospitalized, May we find it in our hearts to step up as good and faithful friends and visit and comfort them. We pray that they may offer help to their friends when they need it.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend, may we all learn to be accepting and inclusive of all of our family members who may differ from us in any way. May we learn to love with out limits and conditions.

Jesus, our Loving and Compassionate Friend, Help us to make friends with our enemies and the unlovable. Give us the courage to do this and become peacemakers to your broken and fragile world.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend, hold our hands and walk with us on our journey of life and where ever God leads us.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend. We give thanks for all the wonderful memories we share with our family and friends. May we all become keepers of the lore.

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend, we pray for_________________________

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend we Give thanks for_________________________

Jesus our Loving and Compassionate Friend we pray these our prayers and thanksgivings to you In Your Most Holy Name Amen.

* You may replace with your own name for God as you wish. 


Almighty and most merciful God, kindle within us the fire of love, that by its cleansing flame we may be purged of all our sins and made worthy to worship you in spirit and in truth; through Jesus Christ our Lord.


Almighty and everlasting God, who kindled the flame of your love in the heart of your holy martyrs Hans and Sophie Scholl: Grant to us, your humble servants, a like faith and power of love, that we who rejoice in her triumph may profit by her example; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God, by whose grace and power your holy martyrs
Hans Scholl, Sophie Scholl, and Christoph Probst
triumphed over suffering and were faithful even to death:
Grant us, who now remember them in thanksgiving,
to be so faithful in our witness to you in this world,
that we may receive with them the crown of life;
through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Stephen H. Fritchman: To All Who Toil

Spirit of Truth and Love within our living hearts, we pledge our faithfulness to all who toil that we may eat our bread. We rejoice in hu man power to shape the stuff of earth into things of usefulness and beauty. May our hands and minds add their portion to the common treasure of a world more fair. We would find our place among the workers of human ity, proud of honest labor done, and rest deserved, and wages earned. We would pay our tribute to the task well done of tailor, teacher, carpenter, and nurse; of surgeon, painter, sailor, chemist, housewife, typist, farmer and chef; and for all of those whose work is little known and rarely seen, yet daily given, that our lives may be far happier and safe. May this be a time of kinship among the toilers of every race and clime.


FOR ALL PEOPLE - Reinhold Niebuhr

O God, we pray for all sorts and conditions of people:

For all who toil in the burden and heat of the day, that they may en joy the rewards of their industry, that they may not be defrauded of their due, and that we may never cease to be mindful of our debt to them for making our life tolerable;

For those in authority, who have power over others, that they may not use it for selfish advantage but be guided to do justice and to love mercy.

For those who have been worsted in the battles of life, whether by the inhumanity of others, their own limitations, or the fickleness of fortune, that they may contend against injustice without bitterness, and learn how to accept what cannot be altered, with patience;

For the rulers of nations that they may promote peace among the peoples and establish justice in our common life.

For the teachers and ministers of Your power, for artists, scientists and interpreters of the spiritual life, that they may not corrupt the truth to which they are committed;

For prophets and seers who awaken us from our sloth, that they may hold their torches high in a world darkened by prejudice.

O God, who has bound us together in this bundle of life, give us the grace to understand how our lives depend upon one another and our responsibilities to You.


Ursula M. Niebuhr: For the Day of Light

O God, who has placed us in a world You and we constantly create, we give thanks as we work and as we pray. We praise You for the day of light and life, for the night which brings rest and sleep, and for the ordered course of nature, seedtime and harvest. We bless You for the joy of children and the wisdom of the old. We thank You for the love of God and people which shines forth in commonplace lives, and above all for the vision of You in silent meditation, in fellowship, in the sacrament of the shared life, and in prayer. We praise Your name now and forever more.


FOR WORLD NEIGHBORLINESS - Peter Marshall

O God, we pray for a broader vision of the needs of humanity, and a deeper compassion to fill those needs; for a planting of the seeds of concern for all humanity in our hearts; for a tapping of the wells of generosity.

May we live together as people who have been forgiven a great debt.

May we be gentle, walking softly with one another.

May we be understanding, lest we shall add to the world’s sorrow or cause to flow needless tears.

May we be as anxious for the rights of others as we are for our own.

May we be as eager to forgive as we are to seek forgiveness.

May we know no barriers of creed or race or sex, that our love may be like Yours—a love that sees all people as Your children and our kin.

May we be ministers of humanity.



Gracious God we pray that we may learn to use our prophetic voices to speak truth to power with out fear.

God we pray that we may never be silent during times of conflict and let the world know that it is unacceptable to be filled with hate violence in the forms of action and speech, bigotry, racism, and extreme thinking.

God we pray that we may never be silent and stand firm for the protection of our family members who are vulnerable and do not have advocates in their corners.

God we pray that we may never be silent when our leaders go off track and remind them that they are to serve the people and not the interests of lobbies, special interest groups or their own dangerous and self serving agendas.

God we pray that we may never be silent when we need to tell our stories that will benefit and make change in the world.

God we pray that we may never be silent and tell and show our family members we love them.

God we pray that we may never be silent as we serve others and that when you call us to be silent we may listen. Help us to serve the least of these with loving hands, feet, words, and deeds.

God we pray that we may listen to you as we pray for the concerns that you are laying upon our hearts and in our minds especially________________

God we pray that we may listen to our bodies, minds, and spirits that we may seek to keep them healthy.

God we pray that we may be good in the conservation of your Cathedral of Life.

God help us to meet the Love Challenge this week with courage, strength, and love energy and that our heart homes maybe expanded as we become more loving towards our enemies, haters, and family members who differ from us.

God we lift up these our prayers in the name of your Son Jesus. Amen.


The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

For our Enemies  (From the BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER)
O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth; deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)

Christ Has No Body

Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion on this world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.


The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised; 
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see: 
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 

The blessing of God, the eternal goodwill of God, the shalom of God, the wildness and the warmth of God, be among us and between us, now and always.
++++++
Tidbits from the Northumbria Community:


Boisil, Prior of Melrose Abbey, died in 661. Bede described him as a ‘priest of great virtue and prophetic spirit.’ Boisil, on his first meeting with Cuthbert, who was to be his pupil, exclaimed, ‘Behold, the servant of the Lord!’ – recognizing the call of God on the young man’s life.If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.
+ (silently)
* O Lord, You will keep us safe
and protect us forever.
I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.
* I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.
* Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.
* Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.
Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.
* Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.
* Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in His peace.
God with me protecting,
the Lord with me directing,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.
* In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

Today’s Meditation
My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think that I am following Your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please You
does in fact please You.
And I hope that I have that desire
in all that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road
although I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust You always,
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death,
I will not fear, for You are ever with me,
and will never leave me
to face my perils alone.
Thomas Merton



++++++
Good Night All! Don't forget to do y/our Worry Free-Sabbath Work (Box, Journal, or Jar). I love you! Take God's Lantern of Love into the world and be the change!

Love and more love,

Sara


Resources


A to Z Quotes
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Book of Common Prayer
Book of Occasional Services 
Enriching our Worship
Northumbria Community

Enjoy perusing these sites. 
 Satucket Lectionary Page

Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
++++++
Bonus prayers and vigil!


On this Keeping the Faith Friday Fearlessly Without Fretting, we light our candles and be at prayer as we keep our tradition of Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigils. Tonight we pray for forgiveness and to let go of anything that is causing division among us. We pray for peace within our hearts and in our worlds. We pray for an end to violence, hatred, fear, bigotry, and anything else in our country that keeps us from being a truly united people in service and for the common good of all. Help us to see God/Love in the eyes of our enemies, haters, the least of these who are our family members, and in ourselves as well. Help us to build bridges and tear down walls. 






Tonight we pray for peace in this upsetting world.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for love and peace to prevail in all areas where there is dis-ease.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for all our family members who are being persecuted and made to feel invisible.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are in Sabbath mode and who are preparing for a time of renewal in faith.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are ill in body, mind, and spirit may they be healed.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are mourning and pre-grieving may they be lovingly comforted.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are lonely and in need of companionship.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are dying and who have died remembering this night.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are in danger that they may be protected.
God hear our prayer.

We pray for____________________________
God hear our prayer.

We pray that we may find each nano-second of the day holiness and in the sacredness of all things living.
God hear our prayer.

We pray these our prayers in the Name of Jesus. Amen.


Bonus prayers

Dear God we come to you with hearts that are full and tenderized, spirits that are enlivened that feel like the Waters of Life Coursing through our veins. May we enter in to your Holy presence not with fear and trembling but with awe and joy. 

Help us O God to realize it's all about Love and Family this day and always.

This day we continue to pray for the families and friends of all who have lost lives to senseless acts of violence and unknown reasons remembering especially the many air disasters,  and pray that the mystery surrounding these flights may be solved.

We pray for all  of our family members who are clergy and religious leaders who lead congregations and faith communities. We pray for all meetings that are taking place and for calm minds, listening hearts, that all those who take council may be mindful of the words they say. 

We pray for Syria and Syria's children that we may stand with all those who have been harmed and are refugees during this time of civil war. We pray for peaceful regime change.

We pray for all of our  family members who have lost loved ones that they may be supported and sustained by your presence and ever flowing love and comfort.

We pray for all refugees, captives, victims of human trafficking, and all of our family members wherever they may be. 

We pray for all aid agencies and organizations remembering_____________________.

We pray for those of us who are victim-survivors of abuse and assault. Take away our bitterness and replace it with love and forgiveness.

We pray for all the unemployed, underemployed, and have fallen on hard times who are forced to make gut wrenching decisions of what to go with out. We pray for compassionate social services and help for them.

We pray for all troubled nations of the world that the leaders of Syria, Palestine, The Ukraine, South Sudan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Nigeria, Uganda, and North Korea may have their hearts tenderized to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.

We pray for all of us who are dealing with health challenges, give us courage, grace, and the strength to meet each minute with the knowledge that we never walk alone and remember that you O God are the Good Shepherd and that your rod and your staff comfort us.

Watch over all law enforcement personnel at the local, state, national, and international levels.

We pray for all caregivers that they may take time to care for themselves as much as they care for others.

We pray for especially_______________________________

We give thanks for__________________________________

We celebrate this day our family members who are celebrating  birthdays and anniversaries and __________________________

We remember those who are dying and those who have died today especially______________That they may rest in peace and rise in glory and live in Your Presence in the Thin Places.

We lay all of our prayers, thanksgivings, celebrations, and remembrances in your arms this night all this we ask in Jesus most holy name. Amen.

++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment