Sunday, January 24, 2021

Sabbath Reflection: When Healing and Conversion intersect!

 




Good Evening Dear Ones !

Happy Third Sunday After the  Epiphany and the Eve of the Conversion of St. Paul! This is when we find in our lessons for the Pauline feast day and our Good Book Club reading from the Gospel of Mark converging. This convergence speaks of healing and conversion. I believe in many ways that both of these themes meet together nicely. In our Good Book Club reading from the Gospel of Mark we find Jesus healing a boy with a spirit and St. Paul who had a conversion experience on the road to Damascus. We will have the Acts lesson tomorrow evening. Each of these amazing pieces show us that in many ways how Jesus heals in order to bring about change in lives for the good of the person and the good of all. During this last half of the season of Epiphany and for the remainder of the year we are going to take a journey into not just social justice work but into a deep time of getting well by joining with the Absalom Jones Center for Racial Healing in the Murphy Davis "Let's Get Well" Campaign .We have lots of innerwork to do in order to facilitate change. In order to be the change at all levels we must remember the words in the Eucharistic Prayer Rite I "Ourselves, Our souls, and bodies"!  To put in the work for social change we cannot forget about our physical, mental, and spiritual work to keep us healthy and our bandwidth balanced. So let us begin by taking time for quiet and "The Peace be Stills " and then doing journal work based on the Good Book Club reading from the Gospel of Mark.

Peace be still.

Peace be.

Peace.


Peace be still.

Peace be.

Peace.


Peace be still.

Peace be.

Peace.


We will use our format from A Disciples Prayer Book for our journaling. 

Reflect and Respond to the Gospel of the Day:

1. What word(s), idea(s), or sentence(s) stand

 out for you in the Gospel of the Day?

2. What is Jesus (the Gospel) saying to you?

3. What is Jesus (the Gospel) calling you to do?


Mark 9:14-32

The Healing of a Boy with a Spirit

When they came to the disciples, they saw a great crowd around them, and some scribes arguing with them. When the whole crowd saw him, they were immediately overcome with awe, and they ran forward to greet him. He asked them, ‘What are you arguing about with them?’ Someone from the crowd answered him, ‘Teacher, I brought you my son; he has a spirit that makes him unable to speak; and whenever it seizes him, it dashes him down; and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid; and I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they could not do so.’ He answered them, ‘You faithless generation, how much longer must I be among you? How much longer must I put up with you? Bring him to me.’ And they brought the boy to him. When the spirit saw him, immediately it threw the boy into convulsions, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth. Jesus asked the father, ‘How long has this been happening to him?’ And he said, ‘From childhood. It has often cast him into the fire and into the water, to destroy him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us.’ Jesus said to him, ‘If you are able!—All things can be done for the one who believes.’ Immediately the father of the child cried out, ‘I believe; help my unbelief!’ When Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, ‘You spirit that keep this boy from speaking and hearing, I command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!’ After crying out and convulsing him terribly, it came out, and the boy was like a corpse, so that most of them said, ‘He is dead.’ But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he was able to stand. When he had entered the house, his disciples asked him privately, ‘Why could we not cast it out?’ He said to them, ‘This kind can come out only through prayer.’

Jesus Again Foretells His Death and Resurrection

They went on from there and passed through Galilee. He did not want anyone to know it; for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, ‘The Son of Man is to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and three days after being killed, he will rise again.’ But they did not understand what he was saying and were afraid to ask him.


Conversion  Quotes:

"We are not converted only once in our lives but many times and this endless series of conversions and inner revolutions leads to our transformation." ~ Thomas Merton

"Love is a choice — not simply, or necessarily, a rational choice, but rather a willingness to be present to others without pretense or guide. Love is a conversion to humanity — a willingness to participate with others in the healing of a broken world and broken lives. Love is the choice to experience life as a member of the human family, a partner in the dance of life." ~ Carter Heyward

"Living a spiritual life requires a change of heart, a conversion. Such a conversion may be marked by a sudden inner change, or it can take place through a long, quiet process of transformation. But it always involves an inner experience of oneness." ~ Henri Nouwen

"Feelings of guilt dominate our work as peacemakers we cannot last long. But when we have opened each other's eyes to the great human gifts among all people we can indeed make peacemaking a way of being." ~ Henri Nouwen

"The great  #‎ conversion  called for by Jesus is to move from belonging to the world to belonging to God." ~ Henri Nouwen

"Conversion does not make us perfect, but it does catapult us into a total experience of discipleship that affects - and infects - every sphere of our living." ~ Richard J. Foster

"Prayer at its highest is a two-way conversation - and for me the most important part is listening to God's replies." ~ Frank Laubach

"A conversion is a lonely experience." ~ Dorothy Day

"We canot become nonviolent on the basis of intellectual conviction. Commitment to nonviolence demands a very profound conversion of mind and heart. If we take the time to pray with Jesus, we too will be converted in mind and heart. It won�t work if we try to reason it out. The only way is through a change of heart, a coming into a way of being that is the way of Jesus." ~ Thomas Gumbleton

"Did a Magdalene, a Paul, a Constantine, an Augustine become mountains of ice after their conversion? Quite the contrary. We should never have had these prodigies of conversion and marvelous holiness if they had not changed the flames of human passion into volcanoes of immense love of God." ~ Frances Xavier Cabrini


Come let us worship.


Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together

Psalm 134

We your servants bless you, O God,
as we stand by night in your house.

We lift up our hands towards the holy place,
and give you thanks and praise.

Bless us from all places where you dwell,
O God, creator of the heavens and the earth.


From the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts.Malachi 1:11

It is the God who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.2 Corinthians 4:6

The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the gospel.Mark 1:15

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.2 Timothy 1:7

You Lord are in the midst of us, and we are called by your name. Leave us not.Jeremiah 14:9


A PRAYER FOR GOD’S LIGHT

Eternal God, shed your light on us who watch for you,
that our lips may praise you,
our hearts bless you,
and our lives glorify you,
through Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Amen.

God of Love we come before you this night as one family in unity and love. We stand before you as your beloved children made in your image and likeness asking that we be empowered to stand with each other when we are the focus of bullying, bigotry, premeditated invisibility, or any action that creates rather than celebrates the diverse humanity that you have created. Help us stand and let our voices be loud, with urgency. Let us take our feet and march together as symbols as one family in courage and steadfast determination to be the change we want to see in the world. As we make vigil and pray this night let us continually remember your call to welcome all and respect the dignity of every stranger in our midst wherever they have come from. Let us also remember to pray for the rich diversity of all nations, faiths, and peoples. 






Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.


Anthem at the Candle Lighting

Epiphany 
All nations shall be blessed in him, * and do him service.
All nations shall be blessed in him, and do him service.
All kings shall bow down before him:
And do him service.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
All nations shall be blessed in him, and do him service.
V. The kings of Tarshish and the isles shall pay tribute:
R. The kings of Arabia and Saba shall offer gifts.




"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." ~ Henri Nouwen


Confession of Need (Enriching our Worship 2)

Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.
Silence

Minister and People
Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.

Minister
May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
A Smudging Prayer
 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.

Image result for smudging ceremony


In Lak 'Ech by Luis Valdez

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself
Pause, Reflect, Journal, and Pray.

For the Human Family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ Our Lord.
Amen

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are
born to eternal life. Amen.




19 Cœli enarrant

1 The heavens declare the glory of God, *
and the firmament shows his handiwork.

2 One day tells its tale to another, *
and one night imparts knowledge to another.

3 Although they have no words or language, *
and their voices are not heard,

4 Their sound has gone out into all lands, *
and their message to the ends of the world.

5 In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun; *
it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
it rejoices like a champion to run its course.

6 It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
and runs about to the end of it again; *
nothing is hidden from its burning heat.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect
and revives the soul; *
the testimony of the Lord is sure
and gives wisdom to the innocent.

8 The statutes of the Lord are just
and rejoice the heart; *
the commandment of the Lord is clear
and gives light to the eyes.

9 The fear of the Lord is clean
and endures for ever; *
the judgments of the Lord are true
and righteous altogether.

10 More to be desired are they than gold,
more than much fine gold, *
sweeter far than honey,
than honey in the comb.

11 By them also is your servant enlightened, *
and in keeping them there is great reward.

12 Who can tell how often he offends? *
cleanse me from my secret faults.

13 Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
let them not get dominion over me; *
then shall I be whole and sound,
and innocent of a great offense.

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, *
O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

Isaiah 45:18-25

18 For thus says the Lord,

who created the heavens

   (he is God!),

who formed the earth and made it

   (he established it;

he did not create it a chaos,

   he formed it to be inhabited!):

I am the Lord, and there is no other.

19 I did not speak in secret,

   in a land of darkness;

I did not say to the offspring of Jacob,

   ‘Seek me in chaos.’

I the Lord speak the truth,

   I declare what is right.

+

Idols Cannot Save Babylon

+

20 Assemble yourselves and come together,

   draw near, you survivors of the nations!

They have no knowledge—

   those who carry about their wooden idols,

and keep on praying to a god

   that cannot save.

21 Declare and present your case;

   let them take counsel together!

Who told this long ago?

   Who declared it of old?

Was it not I, the Lord?

   There is no other god besides me,

a righteous God and a Saviour;

   there is no one besides me.

22 Turn to me and be saved,

   all the ends of the earth!

   For I am God, and there is no other.

23 By myself I have sworn,

   from my mouth has gone forth in righteousness

   a word that shall not return:

‘To me every knee shall bow,

   every tongue shall swear.’


24 Only in the Lord, it shall be said of me,

   are righteousness and strength;

all who were incensed against him

   shall come to him and be ashamed.

25 In the Lord all the offspring of Israel

   shall triumph and glory.

Hymn

Be thou my vision, O Christ of my heart,
Be all else but naught to me save that thou art,
Be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
Both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Riches I heed not, nor folk’s empty praise,
Be thou my inheritance now and always,
Be thou and thou only the first in my heart,
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.

Sirach 39:1-10

39He seeks out the wisdom of all the ancients,

   and is concerned with prophecies;

2 he preserves the sayings of the famous

   and penetrates the subtleties of parables;

3 he seeks out the hidden meanings of proverbs

   and is at home with the obscurities of parables.

4 He serves among the great

   and appears before rulers;

he travels in foreign lands

   and learns what is good and evil in the human lot.

5 He sets his heart on rising early

   to seek the Lord who made him,

   and to petition the Most High;

he opens his mouth in prayer

   and asks pardon for his sins.

6 If the great Lord is willing,

   he will be filled with the spirit of understanding;

he will pour forth words of wisdom of his own

   and give thanks to the Lord in prayer.

7 The Lord* will direct his counsel and knowledge,

   as he meditates on his mysteries.

8 He will show the wisdom of what he has learned,

   and will glory in the law of the Lord’s covenant.

9 Many will praise his understanding;

   it will never be blotted out.

His memory will not disappear,

   and his name will live through all generations.

10 Nations will speak of his wisdom,

   and the congregation will proclaim his praise.

Hymn

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.

Philippians 3:4-11

4even though I, too, have reason for confidence in the flesh.

If anyone else has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: 5circumcised on the eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; 6as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless.

7 Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. 8More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but one that comes through faith in Christ,* the righteousness from God based on faith. 10I want to know Christ* and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death, 11if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Song of SimeonNunc Dimittis

Praise be to God, I have lived to see this day.
God’s promise is fulfilled, and my duty done.

At last you have given me peace,
for I have seen with my own eyes
the salvation you have prepared for all nations –
a light to the world in its darkness,
and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory be to God, sustaining, redeeming, sanctifying,
as in the beginning, so now, and for ever.
Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.


Or

Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever.    Amen.


Collects for Epiphany 3

Give us grace, O Lord, to answer readily the call of our Savior Jesus Christ and proclaim to all people the Good News of his salvation, that we and the whole world may perceive the glory of his marvelous works; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.(BCP)

Jesus, our Redeemer,
give us your power to reveal and proclaim the good news,
so that wherever we may go
the sick may be healed, lepers embraced,
and the dead and dying given new life;
for the glory of your holy name.
Amen. (ANZPB)

In Times of Conflict

O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us,
in the midst of our struggles for justice and truth, to confront
one another without hatred or bitterness, and to work
together with mutual forbearance and respect; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.


For Social Justice

Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so
move every human heart and especially the hearts of the
people of this land, that barriers which divide us may
crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our
divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.



Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10


For Prophetic Witness in Society
Almighty God, whose prophets taught us righteousness in the care of your poor: By the guidance of your Holy Spirit, grant that we may do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly in your sight; through Jesus Christ, our Judge and Redeemer, who lives and reigns with you and the same Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


For the Nation.

Lord God Almighty, you have made all the peoples of the earth for your glory, to serve you in freedom and in peace: Give to the people of our country a zeal for justice and the strength of forbearance, that we may use our liberty in accordance with your gracious will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen

For Peace

Almighty God, kindle, we pray, in every heart the true love of peace, and guide with your wisdom those who take counsel for the nations of the earth, that in tranquillity your dominion may increase until the earth is filled with the knowledge of your love; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

LITANY OF LOVE (From -Prayers for Today- Harvard Square Library- Services for Congregational Worship)

O God, the source of all being and all joy, let Your blessings be upon us, and fill us with Your love. From all jealousy and envy, from all unkindness, from offense given or taken, from unrighteous anger and an impatient spirit, from a hard and unforgiving temper, and from evil speaking, O God, deliver us.

From all ambition and greed which bring want and distress to multitudes and debase the bodies and souls of many, shutting from them the fullness of life,O God, deliver us.

From an unquiet and discontented spirit, from despondency and gloom, from doubts of Your boundless love, and from forgetfulness of the manifold goods of life, O God, deliver us.

Inspire in us that spirit which suffers long and is kind; which envies not; boasts not itself, is not puffed up; which does not behave unseemly, and seeks not its own. Grant us to be filled with the fullness of Your spirit.

Quicken in us that charity which is not easily provoked, which thinks no evil, which rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; which bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things; the charity which never fails; That so by Your grace we may establish good will upon the earth.

O God, the Father and Mother of us all, who has breathed Your own spirit into Your children and made us to be one with each other as members of Your household: enable us to make Your house a refuge for every wounded spirit, a home for every aspiring soul. Amid diversities of knowledge and of faith, may we be one in spirit, in affection, and in devotion to You.

From- Walk With Me On Our Journey-

Holy, merciful, and loving God, we pray that we may continue to strive to follow your commandments to Love You, Our Neighbors, Our Enemies, and Ourselves.

Holy, merciful, and loving God, We pray that we may be peacemakers and become Your  Children. Let peace prevail upon earth.

Holy, merciful, and loving God, we pray that we may be practice patience and learn the art of holy waiting.

Holy, merciful and loving God, we pray that we may set ourselves on a path of loving kindness so that we may carry your light and love to a fragile and broken world.

Holy, merciful, and loving God, we pray that we may learn holy generosity and give of our time, talent, and treasure for the benefit of the least of these. May we give from the heart and not for a need of recognition.

Holy, merciful, and loving God, we pray that we may continue to practice and live out your call to us in faithfulness. Help us to breathe when we become frustrated.

Holy, merciful, and loving God, we pray that we may cultivate a climate of gentleness to all living things and that we may walk humbly and tenderly upon this planet you have created.

Holy, merciful, and loving God, we pray that we may learn how to have self-control daily and not feel the need for an amassing of things, food, and all other possessions that lead us away from You and serving you and the least of these.

Holy, merciful, and loving God we pray that we may live out our lives in the Joy of the Fruits of the Spirit. 

Holy, merciful and loving God we pray for________________

Holy, merciful and loving God we remember______________

Holy,merciful and loving God  we give thanks for__________


Holy, merciful, and loving God we lift up these our prayers in the name of Jesus your son who is the personification of the Fruits of the Spirit. Amen.

Teach us love, compassion and honor ... that we may heal the Earth and heal each other." - Ojibwe


Christ be within us to keep us, 
beside us to guard, 
before us to lead, 
behind us to protect, 
beneath us to support, 
above us to bless.

+++++

Good Night Beloved Ones! Enjoy taking time off the grid this week and spend time outside. I love you! I give thanks to God for you always.


With love, peace, and blessings!

Sara


Week of Prayer For Christian Unity From Graymoor Ecumenical & Interreligious Institute.

Day 7, Growing in Unity: “I am the vine, you are the branches” (John 15:5a)
Scripture
1 Corinthians 1:10-13; 3:21-23, Is Christ divided?
John 17:20-23, As you and I are one
Meditation
On the eve of his death, Jesus prayed for the unity of those the Father gave him: “that they may all be one... so that the world may believe.” Joined to him, as a branch is to the vine, we share the same sap that circulates among us and vitalizes us.

Each tradition seeks to lead us to the heart of our faith: communion with God, through Christ, in the Spirit. The more we live this communion, the more we are connected to other Christians and to all of humanity. Paul warns us against an atti- tude that had already threatened the unity of the first Christians: absolutizing one’s own tradition to the detriment of the unity of the body of Christ. Differences then be- come divisive instead of mutually enrich- ing. Paul had a very broad vision: “All are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.” (1 Corinthians 3:22-23)

Christ’s will commits us to a path of unity and reconciliation. It also commits us to unite our prayer to his: “that they may all be one... so that the world may believe.” (John 17:21)

Prayer
Holy Spirit, vivifying fire and gentle breath, come and abide in us. Renew in us the passion for unity so that we may live in awareness of the bond that unites us in you. May all who have put on Christ at their Baptism unite and bear witness together to the hope that sustains them. Amen,

Resources:
A to Z Quotes
Book of Occasional Services 

Northumbria Community

Satucket Lectionary Page (NRSV)
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries


No comments:

Post a Comment