Friday, June 25, 2021

It's time to Lift Every Voice and Sing! Friday Follow: James Weldon Johnson

 



Good Afternoon Beloved Ones!

Happy Friday! We are on Chumash land  and in a location with better internet connectivity. This has been a wild few days without stable internet. Today we celebrate the feast of James Weldon Johnson who wrote the words to Lift Every Voice and Sing! Today we lift up our voices and give thanks for his words that have brought us much to meditate upon. So let us begin with the lyrics from this special hymn. 

Lift Every Voice and Sing

Lift ev’ry voice and sing,
’Til earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the list’ning skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on ’til victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
Bitter the chastening rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat,
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
Out from the gloomy past,
’Til now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who has by Thy might
Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
Lest our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee;
Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
May we forever stand,
True to our God,
True to our native land.[


Now let us ponder  and meditate upon these quotes from James Weldon Johnson.

"Every race and every nation should be judged by the best it has been able to produce, not by the worst." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"Lift every voice and sing Till earth and heaven ring, Ring with the harmonies of Liberty. Let our rejoicing rise high as the listening skies; Let it resound loud as the rolling sea." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"This country can have no more democracy than it accords and guarantees to the humblest and weakest citizen." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"The colored people of this country know and understand the white people better than the white people know and understand them." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"Young man, young man, your arm's too short to box with God." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"And God stepped out on space, and He looked around and said: I'm lonely - I'll make me a world." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"It is strange how in some things honest people can be dishonest without the slightest compunction." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"I do not see how a people that can find in its conscience any excuse whatever for slowly burning to death a human being, or for tolerating such an act, can be entrusted with the salvation of a race." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"This Great God, Like a mammy bending over her baby, Kneeled down in the dust Toiling over a lump of clay Till He shaped it in His own image." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"As yet, the Negroes themselves do not fully appreciate these old slave songs." ~ James Weldon Johnson

"So God stepped over to the edge of the world And He spat out the seven seas; He batted His eyes, and the lightnings flashed; He clapped His hands, and the thunders rolled; And the waters above the earth came down, The cooling waters came down." ~ James Weldon Johnson

Lovingkindness (Metta) Prayer

May "all beings" be happy, healthy and whole.

May they have love, warmth and affection.

May they be protected from harm, and free from fear.

May they be alive, engaged and joyful.

May "all beings" enjoy inner peace and ease.

May that peace expand into their world and throughout the entire universe.

This prayer is traditionally done for successively wider circles of caring, with “all beings” replaced appropriately. The first round would be for yourself, then those closest to you, then those who you feel neutral toward, then those with whom you have difficulties, and continuing outward until it includes all beings.

Let us continue with our new mindfulness passages:


Let us breathe in peace.
Let us breathe out worry.


Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind, in the waves, and in our hearts
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind,in  the waves.
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind.
Be still and hear the whisper of God.
Be still and hear the whisper.
Be still and hear.
Be still.
Be.

Now let us continue with the Daily Examen.


This is a version of the five-step Daily Examen that St. Ignatius practiced.

1. Become aware of God’s presence.

This is the time when we become aware of our breathing and grounding ourselves. Let us use the "Peace be stills".

Inhale

Hold

Exhale gently.

Pause and repeat!

Peace be still.

Peace be.

Peace.

Repeat two more times.

2. Review the day with gratitude.

3. Pay attention to your emotions.

4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it.

5. Look toward tomorrow.

__

More help from Ignatian Spirituality

Consciousness Examen

Reflections on the Examen

Examen Prayer Card

Ecological Examen



 A Litany for Peace - Thich Nhat Hanh

As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.

Silence

Let us pay attention to our breathing.

Silence

Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.

Silence

Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.

Silence

Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.

Silence

Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.

Silence

Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.

Silence

Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.

Silence

Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.

Silence

With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.




Before Worship

O Almighty God, who pourest out on all who desire it the
spirit of grace and of supplication: Deliver us, when we draw
near to thee, from coldness of heart and wanderings of mind,
that with steadfast thoughts and kindled affections we may
worship thee in spirit and in truth; through Jesus Christ our
Lord. Amen.

 Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

God is Spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and
in truth. John 4:24

 Because in the beauty of holiness you call us to worship you, and you have given faithful artists, writers, and composers to illumine our prayer from age to age.


 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and those who are afraid are not perfected in love. We love because God first loved us. If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother or sister, that person is a liar; for those who do not love their brothers and sisters whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. 1 John 4:18-20


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.

THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES - Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.



For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.




May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.

Holy Spirit we welcome you into our hearts and into our lives this night as we light our candles. We pray that we may always feel your presence and empowering love energy and ready to accept God's call and follow where it leads without fear. We pray that we may not be afraid to step out and take risks and that with God's abiding love and help we may go boldly and spread God's Good News to this fragile and broken world.  We pray this night that we may serve the least of these with a heart filled with purpose and care. We pray that we may know that when God meant all God meant all and not some. We give thanks to God for God's inclusive love and radical hospitality that we are invited and encouraged to share with all of our brothers and sisters. We thank you for making us in your image and likeness O God with love and tender loving care. We give thanks for the diversity of peoples, faiths, and that we may remember we all must live together in peace, harmony, justice, and unity for the good of all. We love you God. We love our family members! We love ourselves ! Help us to follow  you as beacons of the Light of Christ and show the world that being a family member of God is awesome. We lift up these our prayers and thanksgivings and anything that is on our  minds and hearts this night. Amen. 


A  Prayer of the Four Directions   - Chief Seattle


Great Spirit of Light, come to me out of the East (red) with the power of the rising sun. Let there be light in my words, let there be light on my path that I walk. Let me remember always that you give the gift of a new day. And never let me be burdened with sorrow by not starting over again.

Great Spirit of Love, come to me with the power of the North (white). Make me courageous when the cold wind falls upon me. Give me strength and endurance for everything that is harsh, everything that hurts, everything that makes me squint. Let me move through life ready to take what comes from the north.

Great Life-Giving Spirit, I face the West (black), the direction of sundown. Let me remember everyday that the moment will come when my sun will go down. Never let me forget that I must fade into you. Give me a beautiful color, give me a great sky for setting, so that when it is my time to meet you, I can come with glory.


Great Spirit of Creation, send me the warm and soothing winds from the South (yellow). 
Comfort me and caress me when I am tired and cold. Unfold me like the gentle breezes that unfold the leaves on the trees. As you give to all the earth your warm, moving wind, give to me, so that I may grow close to you in warmth. Man did not create the web of life, he is but a strand in it. Whatever man does to the web, he does to himself.






God is Love and where true love is,God himself is there!
God is Love and where true love is God himself is.
God is Love and where true love is God
God is Love and where true love is.
God is Love

Be still and know that God is Love.
Be still and know that God is.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be

Ubi Caritas

Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez





"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen

 A Smudging Prayer
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 
We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


The Arusha Call to Discipleship

Loving God, we thank you for the gift of life in all its diversity and beauty. Lord Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, we praise you that you came to find the lost, to free the oppressed, to heal the sick, and to convert the self-centred. Holy Spirit, we rejoice that you breathe in the life of the world and are poured out into our hearts. As we live in the Spirit, may we also walk in the Spirit. Grant us faith and courage to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus: becoming pilgrims of justice and peace in our time. For the blessing of your people, the sustaining of the earth, and the glory of your name. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

Howard Thurman: Prayers

I LAY BARE BEFORE YOU

The concern which I lay bare before You today is:

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me—I would seek the root or cause of such disaffection, and with the illumination of Your mind, O God, to understand it.

I give myself to Your scrutiny that, whatever there may be in me that is responsible for what has happened, I will acknowledge.

Where I have wronged or given offense deliberately or without intention, I seek a face-to-face forgiveness.

What I can undo I am willing to try; what I cannot undo, with that I seek to make my peace.

How to do these things, what techniques to use, with what spirit—for these I need and seek Your wisdom and strength, O God.

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me, I lay bare before You.


OUR LITTLE LIVES

Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!

The quietness in Your temple of silence again and again rebuffs us:

For some there is no discipline to hold them steady in the waiting,

And the minds reject the noiseless invasion of Your spirit.

For some there is no will to offer what is central in the thoughts—

The confusion is so manifest, there is no starting place to take hold.

For some the evils of the world tear down all concentrations

And scatter the focus of the high resolves.

The threat of war covers us with heavy shadows,

Making the days big with forebodings—

The nights crowded with frenzied dreams and restless churnings.

We do not know how to do what we know to do.

We do not know how to be what we know to be.

Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!

Brood over our spirits, Creator;

Blow upon whatever dream You have for us,

That there may glow once again upon our hearths

The light from Your altar.

Pour out upon us whatever our spirits need of shock, of life, of release

That we may find strength for these days—

Courage and hope for tomorrow.

In confidence we rest in Your sustaining grace

Which makes possible triumph in defeat, gain in loss, and love in hate.

We rejoice this day to say:

Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!

A LITANY OF THANKSGIVING


In Your presence, O God, we make our Sacrament of Thanksgiving.


We begin with the simple things of our days:

Fresh air to breathe,

Cool water to drink,

The taste of food,

The protection of houses and clothes,

The comforts of home.

For all these we make an act of Thanksgiving this day!


We bring to mind all the warmth of humankind that we have known:


Our mothers’ arms,

The strength of our fathers,

The playmates of our childhood,

The wonderful stories brought to us from the lives of many who

talked of days gone by when fairies and giants and diverse kinds

of magic held sway;

The tears we have shed, the tears we have seen;

The excitement of laughter and the twinkle in the eye with

its reminder that life is good.

For all these we make an act of Thanksgiving this day.


I NEED YOU


I need Your sense of time. Always I have an underlying anxiety about things. Sometimes I am in a hurry to achieve my ends and am completely without patience. It is hard for me to realize that some growth is slow, that not all processes are swift. I cannot discriminate between what takes time to develop and what can be rushed because my sense of time is dulled. O to understand the meaning of perspective that I may do all things with a profound sense of leisure of time.


I need Your sense of order. The confusion of the details of living is sometimes overwhelming. The little things keep getting in my way, providing ready-made excuses for failure to do and be what I know I ought to do and be. Much time is spent on things that are not very important while significant things are put in an insignificant place in my scheme of order. I must unscramble my affairs so that my life will become order. O God, I need Your sense of order.


I need Your sense of the future. Teach me to know that life is ever on the side of the future. Keep alive in me the future look, the high hope. Let me not be frozen either by the past or the present. Grant me, O Patient One, Your sense of the future without which all life would sicken and die.


OUR LITTLE LIVES

46 Deus noster refugium

1 God is our refuge and strength, *
a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved, *
and though the mountains be toppled into the depths of the sea;

3 Though its waters rage and foam, *
and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.

4 The Lord of hosts is with us; *
the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

5 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, *
the holy habitation of the Most High.

6 God is in the midst of her;
she shall not be overthrown; *
God shall help her at the break of day.

7 The nations make much ado, and the kingdoms are shaken; *
God has spoken, and the earth shall melt away.

8 The Lord of hosts is with us; *
the God of Jacob is our stronghold.


Sirach 39:1-11

39He seeks out the wisdom of all the ancients,
   and is concerned with prophecies;
2 he preserves the sayings of the famous
   and penetrates the subtleties of parables;
3 he seeks out the hidden meanings of proverbs
   and is at home with the obscurities of parables.
4 He serves among the great
   and appears before rulers;
he travels in foreign lands
   and learns what is good and evil in the human lot.
5 He sets his heart on rising early
   to seek the Lord who made him,
   and to petition the Most High;
he opens his mouth in prayer
   and asks pardon for his sins.


6 If the great Lord is willing,
   he will be filled with the spirit of understanding;
he will pour forth words of wisdom of his own
   and give thanks to the Lord in prayer.
7 The Lord* will direct his counsel and knowledge,
   as he meditates on his mysteries.
8 He will show the wisdom of what he has learned,
   and will glory in the law of the Lord’s covenant.
9 Many will praise his understanding;
   it will never be blotted out.
His memory will not disappear,
   and his name will live through all generations.
10 Nations will speak of his wisdom,
   and the congregation will proclaim his praise.
11 If he lives long, he will leave a name greater than a thousand,
   and if he goes to rest, it is enough* for him.

A Song of Ezekiel

Ezekiel 36:24-28

I will take you from among all nations; *

and gather you from all lands to bring you home.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *

and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.

A new heart I will give you *

and a new spirit put within you.

I will take the stone heart from your chest *

and give you a heart of flesh.

I will help you walk in my laws *

and cherish my commandments and do them.

You shall be my people, *

and I will be your God.


Ephesians 6:10-18

The Whole Armour of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power. 11Put on the whole armour of God, so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For our* struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armour of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness. 15As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace. 16With all of these,* take the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


18 Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert and always persevere in supplication for all the saints.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,

my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *

for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *

you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,

and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you *

from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm *

and scattered the proud in their conceit,

Casting down the mighty from their thrones *

and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things *

and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *

for you have remembered your promise of mercy,

The promise made to our forebears, *

to Abraham and his children for ever.

Here is the format from A Disciple's Prayer Book that we will use to study the Gospel readings! You may use any version of the Bible you'd like to alternate the readings with Bible Gateway : Place the scripture reading for example (Luke 1:53-75) in the search box and select your bible version and or translation. Then follow this familiar format:

Reflect and Respond to the Gospel of the Day
1. What word(s), idea(s), or sentence(s) stand out for
you in the Gospel of the Day?
(Reread the Gospel.)
2. What is Jesus (the Gospel) saying to you?
(Reread the Gospel.)
3. What is Jesus (the Gospel) calling you to do?


Luke 1:53-75

53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
   and sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
   in remembrance of his mercy,
55 according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
   to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.’

56 And Mary remained with her for about three months and then returned to her home.

The Birth of John the Baptist

57 Now the time came for Elizabeth to give birth, and she bore a son. 58Her neighbours and relatives heard that the Lord had shown his great mercy to her, and they rejoiced with her.

59 On the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and they were going to name him Zechariah after his father. 60But his mother said, ‘No; he is to be called John.’ 61They said to her, ‘None of your relatives has this name.’ 62Then they began motioning to his father to find out what name he wanted to give him. 63He asked for a writing-tablet and wrote, ‘His name is John.’ And all of them were amazed. 64Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue freed, and he began to speak, praising God. 65Fear came over all their neighbours, and all these things were talked about throughout the entire hill country of Judea. 66All who heard them pondered them and said, ‘What then will this child become?’ For, indeed, the hand of the Lord was with him.

Zechariah’s Prophecy

67 Then his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke this prophecy:
68 ‘Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,
   for he has looked favourably on his people and redeemed them.
69 He has raised up a mighty saviour* for us
   in the house of his servant David,
70 as he spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets from of old,
71   that we would be saved from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us.
72 Thus he has shown the mercy promised to our ancestors,
   and has remembered his holy covenant,
73 the oath that he swore to our ancestor Abraham,
   to grant us 74that we, being rescued from the hands of our enemies,
might serve him without fear, 75in holiness and righteousness
   before him all our days.

A Song of Christ’s Goodness

Anselm of Canterbury

Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *

you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.

Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *

tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.

You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *

in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.

Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *

by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.

Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *

through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.

Your warmth gives life to the dead, *

your touch makes sinners righteous.

Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *

in your love and tenderness, remake us.

In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *

for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.


The Song of Zechariah Benedictus Dominus Deus

Blessed are you, Lord, the God of Israel, *

you have come to your people and set them free.

You have raised up for us a mighty Savior, *

born of the house of your servant David.

Through your holy prophets you promised of old

to save us from our enemies, *

from the hands of all who hate us,

To show mercy to our forebears, *

and to remember your holy covenant.

This was the oath you swore to our father Abraham, *

to set us free from the hands of our enemies,

Free to worship you without fear, *

holy and righteous before you,

all the days of our life.

And you, child, shall be called the prophet

of the Most High, *

for you will go before the Lord to prepare the way,

To give God’s people knowledge of salvation *

by the forgiveness of their sins.

In the tender compassion of our God *

the dawn from on high shall break upon us,

To shine on those who dwell in darkness

and the shadow of death, *

and to guide our feet into the way of peace.

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

or

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever.    Amen.

Eternal God, who gave your servant James Weldon Johnson a heart and voice to praise your Name in verse: As he gave us powerful words to glorify you, may we also speak with joy and boldness to banish hatred from your creation; in the Name of Jesus Christ, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


For the Human Family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.

 For Church Musicians and Artists

O God, whom saints and angels delight to worship in
heaven: Be ever present with your servants who seek through
art and music to perfect the praises offered by your people on
earth; and grant to them even now glimpses of your beauty,
and make them worthy at length to behold it unveiled for
evermore; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
As we continue to pray let us pray the words of peace of St. Francis of Assisi


 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

 For the Answering of Prayer

Almighty God, who hast promised to hear the petitions of
those who ask in thy Son's Name: We beseech thee mercifully
to incline thine ear to us who have now made our prayers and
supplications unto thee; and grant that those things which we
have faithfully asked according to thy will, may effectually be
obtained, to the relief of our necessity, and to the setting forth
of thy glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Maya Angelou: Thank You, God

I want to thank You, God,
For life and all that’s in it.
Thank You for the day
And for the hour and for the minute.
I know many are gone;
I’m still living on.
I want to thank You.


W.E.B. Du Bois: Prayer

In these first beginnings of the new life of the world, renew in us the resolution to persist in the good work we have begun. Give us strength of body and strength of mind and the unfaltering determination to carry out that which we know to be good and right. Forgive all wavering in the past service of Thy cause and make us strong to go for ward in spite of the doubts of our friends and our enemies and in spite of our own distrust in ourselves. Out of the death of winter comes ever and again the resurrection of spring: so out of evil bring good, O God, and out of doubt determination. Amen.

Walter Rauschenbusch: Prayers

FOR OUR WORLD, OUR EARTH

O God, we thank You for this universe, our great home; for the vastness and richness of our cosmic environment; for the manifoldness of life on the planet of which we are a part.

We are thankful for the morning sun and the clouds and the constellations of stars.

We rejoice in the salt sea and the deep waters and green leaves of grass.

We thank You for our sense by which we experience earth’s splendor.

We would have souls open to all this joy, souls saved from being so weighted with care that we pass unseeing when the thornbush by the wayside is aflame with beauty.

Enlarge within us a sense of fellowship with all that lives and moves and has being in space and time, especially with all who share this earth as their common home with us.

Remembering with shame that in the past, we human beings have all too often exercised high dominion with ruthless cruelty, we admit that the voice of the earth, which should have gone up to You in song, has been a groan of travail.

May we so live that our world may not be ravished by our greed nor spoiled by our ignorance.

May we hand on earth’s common heritage of life, undiminished in joy when our bodies return in peace to You, our Great Mother who has nourished them.

EVENING PRAYER

O God, we praise You for the night and for sleep. Release our limbs of toil. Smooth our brow of care. Grant us a refreshing draught of forgetfulness. Comfort those who toss on a bed of pain, or whose nerves crave sleep and find it not. Save them from despondent thoughts in the darkness. May they learn to lean on Your all-pervading life and love so, their souls may grow tranquil and their bodies may rest.


In your presence O God, we come together as one family of love. Give us courage to lay down the weaponry of hate and find common ground.

In your presence O God, take all the gunk in our lives that prevent us from truly serving you and the least of these.

In your presence O God, give us courage to discern where you are sending us and help us to respond accordingly with "Here I am send me"!

In your presence  O God, make us truly the Beloved Community intent upon serving you and our family members with CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) 

In your presence O God, help us to stand fast and ready to speak truth to power and seek out ways to be the change you want to see in the world.

In your presence O God, may we feel and know your love for us so that we may serve others. 

In your presence O God, we offer these our prayers________________________________

In your presence O God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of your only begotten Son Jesus. Amen.


We close our vigil with these prayers:

The Woke Prayers of St. Francis
Help us O God to be woke!
Woke as your peacemakers, change makers, heart changers, and love energy bringers!
Woke to the hatred so that we may sow seeds of love.
Woke to the injury so that we may heal the hurt and cease the harm.
Woke to the divisiveness that we may be eager to heal and unite as one neighborhood and family.
Woke to uncertainty that will lead us to be renewed in faith.
Woke to the despair of all our neighbors so that we may sow seeds of radical hope, love, hospitality, and inclusion.
Woke to the knowledge that we are God's beloved children. Help us to be woke enough to know that 
we are Marching in the Light of God as we sing the same song too!


Leader:We are marching in the light of God

Choir:We are marching in the light of God.

Leader:We are marching in the light of God,

Choir:We are marching in the light of God.
[in the light of God]

We are marching... ooh
[We are marching, marching, we are marching, marching,]

We are marching in the light of God.
[the light of God]

We are marching... ooh
[We are marching, marching, we are marching, marching,]

We are marching in the light of God.

(Alternative versions of the lyrics may alternate marching with different verbs such as walking, dancing, singing, living, or praying, holding up, or the word "God" for love in a less religious gathering.)


Zulu (original)[

Siyahamb' ekukhanyeni kwenkos, Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.

Siyahamb' ekukhanyeni kwenkos', Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.

[ekukhanyeni kwenkos']

Siyahamba... ooh

[Siyahamba, hamba, Siyahamba, hamba]

Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.

[ekukhanyeni kwenkos']

Siyahamba... ooh

[Siyahamba, hamba, Siyahamba, hamba]

Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.


Help us to be woke enough not to think of ourselves being the comforted, help us be the comforters and wounded healers.

Help not to be know it alls and be woke to understand what is plaguing our inner beings, neighbors, neighborhoods, the least of these, our family members.

God wake us up to be Woke to your agape love so that we may love everything that you have made. Wake us to be Woke to Radical Love, Hospitality, and inclusion.

Help us to know that being truly woke means being open to radical and random acts of kindness and giving. Where the giver is given and receives much by acts of giving.

Help us to be woke enough to forgive and then find ourselves being actually forgiven 
God Wake us Up to Be Woke to know that death isn't the end but only the beginning of a new birth in your heavenly Kindom. Amen and let it be so!

Or these

Respond to these petitions with: May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort be with us this night as we pray for peace in this world and that we may live into our baptismal covenant with you and each other.
 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God  of all comfort may we seek as one family with you to find solutions that will stem the tide of all violence and terror.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!


God of all comfort may we seek with you to find our true calling and life path.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort give us strength to speak out firmly and lovingly for those who haven't any voice.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort give us all a return to common sense. Take away from us all temptation to fall into a mob and hate mentality.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort we pray for all who are ill and in need of healing of their bodies, minds, and spirits.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may we be sources of comfort  one to another and listen to you with our heart homes for those who are in need of help and may not be able to name their needs.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort may we ever be mindful of our family members who are grieving losses and pre- grieving. 
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort we pray for all who have been senselessly murdered for who they are. Grant to them eternal rest.


 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may all of us who struggle to live authentically without fear be able to speak and live our truth valiantly and with courage.


 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!


God of all comfort we pray and give thanks for_________________________
We lift up these our prayers in the Holy name of Jesus!  Amen. 

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised; 
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see: 
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 


After Worship

Grant, we beseech thee, Almighty God, that the words which
we have heard this day with our outward ears, may, through
thy grace, be so grafted inwardly in our hearts, that they may
bring forth in us the fruit of good living, to the honor and
praise of thy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Gaelic Prayer: Ancient Blessing

May the blessing of light be on you, light without and light within. May the blessed Sunlight shine on you and warm your heart until it glows, so that a stranger may come and be warmed by it, and also a friend. May the light shine out of the two eyes of you like a candle set in two windows of a house, bidding the wanderer to come in out of the storm.

May the blessing of the Rain be on you-soft, sweet rain. May it fall upon your spirit so that flowers may spring up. And may the Great Rains be on you. May they beat upon your spirit and wash it fair and clean, and leave there many a shining pool where the blue of heaven shines reflected, and sometimes a star.

May the blessing of the Earth be on you-the great and round earth. May you have a kindly greeting for folks you pass as you’re going along the roads. May the earth be soft under you when you lie upon it, tired at the close of the day.


+++
Good Night Dear Ones! I love you all and give thanks to God each nano-second that we spend time together in this holy circle of love. Don't forget to choose one of these each day!

Scriptures for Justice, Lament and Solidarity
Exodus 10:17-21
Exodus 22:21-23
Isaiah 58:6-7
Isaiah 61
Micah 6:8
Psalm 10
Psalm 13
Psalm 89
Psalm 103
Luke 4:16-21
Ephesians 6: 12-15
Hebrews 13:1-3

Peace, love, and God's blessings!

Sara

Resources
Enriching Our Worship
Prayers of Power
Book of Common Prayer on Line
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
In Lak 'Ech- Luis Valdez
Walk With Me On Our Journey
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Other Resources as Noted
Oremus Bible Browser


No comments:

Post a Comment