Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Pondering the Wisdom of Alex Haley and Alice Walker

 


Good Evening Wisdom Seekers!

Today is Wisdom Wednesday. Today has been a busy day on the land of the Chumash, leading Morning Prayer and working in Dem HQ, along with many meetings. More to come tonight. I hope everyone is well. Today's Black History Month honorees are Alex Haley and Alice Walker. Let us seek wisdom from their quotes. We will do this after our Good Book Club selection from Exodus. Let us begin with the "Be Stills!". 

Let us engage in the "Be Stills " of both kinds!

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace

Tonight we continue our readings from The Good Book Club. Using the format from A Disciple's Prayer Book, let us read the first reading from the Book of Exodus.

Reflect and Respond to the passage in Exodus

1. What word(s), idea(s), or sentence(s) stand out for you in Exodus?

(Reread the  the passage in Exodus)

2. What is Jesus  and the passage from Exodus saying to you  ?

(Reread the passage in Exodus)

3. What is Jesus  calling you to do?

Exodus 13:11-16

The Consecration of the Firstborn

‘When the Lord has brought you into the land of the Canaanites, as he swore to you and your ancestors, and has given it to you, you shall set apart to the Lord all that first opens the womb. All the firstborn of your livestock that are males shall be the Lord’s. But every firstborn donkey you shall redeem with a sheep; if you do not redeem it, you must break its neck. Every firstborn male among your children you shall redeem. When in the future your child asks you, “What does this mean?” you shall answer, “By strength of hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, from the house of slavery. When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the Lord killed all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from human firstborn to the firstborn of animals. Therefore I sacrifice to the Lord every male that first opens the womb, but every firstborn of my sons I redeem.” It shall serve as a sign on your hand and as an emblem on your forehead that by strength of hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt.’

Exodus Resources


Let us ponder these quotes from Alex Haley and Alice Walker

"In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future." ~ Alex Haley

"Healing begins where the wound was made." ~ Alice Walker

"Every time an old person dies, it's like a library burning down." ~ Alex Haley

"we are the ones we have been waiting for" ~ Alice Walker

"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow-deep, to know our heritage, to know who we are and where we came from." ~ Alex Haley

"Wherever I have knocked, a door has opened.  Wherever I have wandered, a path has appeared." ~ Alice Walker

"You have to deal with the fact that your life is your life." ~ Alex Haley

"Peace will come wherever it is sincerely invited." ~ Alice Walker

"My fondest hope is that 'Roots' may start black, white, brown, red, yellow people digging back for their own roots. Man, that would make me feel 90 feet tall." ~ Alex Haley

"Nature has created us with the capacity to know God, to experience God." ~ Alice Walker

"Roots is not just a saga of my family. It is the symbolic saga of a people." ~ Alex Haley

"Surely the earth can be saved by all the people who insist on love." ~ Alice Walker

"You have to steal back yourself. You have to steal back your own mind. Meditation helps in that area." ~ Alice Walker

"Be compassionate to everyone. Don't just search for whatever it is that annoys and frightens you-see beyond those things to the basic human being. Especially see the child in the man or woman. Even if they are destroying you, allow a moment to see how lost in their own delusion and suffering they are." ~ Alice Walker

God we light one candle tonight as we vigil for peace, justice and unity.


Let us add our Metta Prayer!

Lovingkindness (Metta) Prayer

May "all beings" be happy, healthy and whole.

May they have love, warmth and affection.

May they be protected from harm, and free from fear.

May they be alive, engaged and joyful.

May "all beings" enjoy inner peace and ease.

May that peace expand into their world and throughout the entire universe.

This prayer is traditionally done for successively wider circles of caring, with “all beings”replaced appropriately. The first round would be for yourself, then those closest to you, then those who you feel neutral toward, then those with whom you have difficulties, and continuing outward until it includes all beings.

Let us begin with our new mindfulness passages:


Let us breathe in peace.
Let us breathe out worry.


Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind, in the waves, and in our hearts
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind,in  the waves.
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind.
Be still and hear the whisper of God.
Be still and hear the whisper.
Be still and hear.
Be still.
Be.

The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh: A Litany for Peace

As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.
Silence
Let us pay attention to our breathing.
Silence
Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.
Silence
Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.
Silence
Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.
Silence
Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.
Silence
Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.
Silence
Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.
Silence
Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.
Silence
With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.

“*Breathing in, I know this is my in-breath.
Breathing out, I know this is my out-breath.*

It's very simple, but very effective. When we bring our attention to our in-breath and our out-breath, we stop thinking of the past; we stop thinking of the future; and we begin to come home to ourselves...Don't think this practice doesn't apply to you. If we don't go home to ourselves, we can't be at our best and serve the world in the best way... Our quality of being is the foundation for the quality of our actions.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of my whole body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of my whole body.*

Breathing mindfully brings us back to our bodies. We have to acknowledge our bodies first because tension and suffering accumulate in the body. Breathing in this way, we create a kind of family reunion between mind and body. The mind becomes an embodied mind.

...We can't do our best if we don't know to release the tension and pain in ourselves.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of the tension in my body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of the tension in my body.*

When we look at the suffering around us, at poverty, violence, or climate change, we may want to solve these things immediately. We want to do something. But to do something effectively and ethically, we need to be our best selves in order to be able to handle the suffering...

*Breathing in, I am aware of a painful feeling arising.
Breathing out, I release the painful feeling.*

This is a nonviolent and gentle way to help our bodies release tension and pain. It is possible to practice mindful breathing in order to produce a feeling of joy, a feeling of happiness. When we are well-nourished and know how to create joy, then we are strong enough to handle the deep pain within ourselves and the world.”
― Thích Nhất Hạnh, Good Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society

“We know very well that we have ancestors. But our ancestors are not only human. We have animal ancestors; we have plant ancestors; and we have mineral ancestors. Our human ancestors are still very young. Human beings appeared very late in the history of life on Earth. Our animal ancestors are still there within us. The reptile, the fish, and the ape are still in our blood. Not only were they part of us in the past, but they continue to exist within us. Just look deeply into your cells. We see that we are the whole history of life.”
― Thích Nhất Hạnh, Good Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society


And this prayer from The Arusha Call To Discipleship

Loving God, we thank you for the gift of life in all its diversity and beauty. Lord Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, we praise you that you came to find the lost, to free the oppressed, to heal the sick, and to convert the self-centred. Holy Spirit, we rejoice that you breathe in the life of the world and are poured out into our hearts. As we live in the Spirit, may we also walk in the Spirit. Grant us faith and courage to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus: becoming pilgrims of justice and peace in our time. For the blessing of your people, the sustaining of the earth, and the glory of your name. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

Now let us continue with the Daily Examen.


This is a version of the five-step Daily Examen that St. Ignatius practiced.

1. Become aware of God’s presence.

This is the time when we become aware of our breathing and grounding ourselves. Let us use the "Peace be stills".

Inhale

Hold

Exhale gently.

Pause and repeat!

Peace be still.

Peace be.

Peace.

Repeat two more times.

2. Review the day with gratitude.

3. Pay attention to your emotions.

4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it.

5. Look toward tomorrow.

__

More help from Ignatian Spirituality

Consciousness Examen

Reflections on the Examen

Examen Prayer Card

Ecological Examen


Jesus Christ,

you seek us, you wish to offer us your friendship

and lead us to a life that is ever more complete.

Grant us the confidence to answer your call

so that we may be transformed

and become witnesses of your tenderness for the world. 

Come let us worship.

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;

We give thanks for being here;

We give thanks for being here together.

You Lord are all that I have; I have promised to keep your Word. I have sought your favour with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promises.Psalm 119:57, 58

Jesus said, ‘Anyone who has left brothers or sisters, father, mother, or children, land or houses for the sake of my name will be repaid many times over, and given eternal life.’Matthew 19:29

You Lord are in the midst of us, and we are called by your name. Leave us not.Jeremiah 14:9

You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but citizens together with the saints and members of the household of God. Ephesians 2:19 

 God is Spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and in truth. John 4:24

Light of the world- Phos Hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

134 Ecce nunc

1 Behold now, bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, *
you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.

2 Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the Lord; *
the Lord who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Let us light our candles and enter into God's loving  presence as we meditate, make vigil, and  be at prayer!

INVOCATION -St. Augustine

O Love of God, descend into my heart;
Enlighten the dark corners of this neglected dwelling,
And scatter there Your cheerful beams.
Dwell in the soul that longs to be Your temple;
Water that barren soil overrun with weeds and briars
And lost for lack of cultivating.
Make it fruitful with Your dew.

Come, dear Refreshment of those who languish;
Come, Star and Guide of those who sail amidst tempests.
You are the Haven of the tossed and shipwrecked.
Come now, Glory and Crown of the living,
As well as the Safeguard of the dying.
Come, Sacred Spirit;
Come, and make me fit to receive You.

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:


We light this candle of remembrance.




For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:


We light this candle of consecration.



May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.








YOU HAVE LOVED US FIRST -Soren Kierkegaard

Great Companion, You have loved us first.
May we never forget that You are love,
So that this sure conviction might triumph in our hearts
Over the whirling of the world,
Over the inquietude of the soul,
Over the anxiety for the future,
Over the fright of the past,
Over the distress of the moment.
May this conviction discipline our soul
So that our hearts might remain faithful and sincere
In the love which we bear to all those we love as ourselves.

IN LAK’ECH
Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself. 
Luis Valdez
Image result for in lak'ech

A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


Image result for metis aboriginal ministries, smudging prayer

God be in my head, and in my understanding;

God be in my eyes, and in my looking;

God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;

God be in my heart, and in my thinking;

God be at my end, and at my departing.


81 Exultate Deo

1 Sing with joy to God our strength *
and raise a loud shout to the God of Jacob.

2 Raise a song and sound the timbrel, *
the merry harp, and the lyre.

3 Blow the ram's-horn at the new moon, *
and at the full moon, the day of our feast.

4 For this is a statute for Israel, *
a law of the God of Jacob.

5 He laid it as a solemn charge upon Joseph, *
when he came out of the land of Egypt.

6 I heard an unfamiliar voice saying, *
"I eased his shoulder from the burden;
his hands were set free from bearing the load."

7 You called on me in trouble, and I saved you; *
I answered you from the secret place of thunder
and tested you at the waters of Meribah.

8 Hear, O my people, and I will admonish you: *
O Israel, if you would but listen to me!

9 There shall be no strange god among you; *
you shall not worship a foreign god.

10 I am the Lord your God,
who brought you out of the land of Egypt and said, *
"Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

11 And yet my people did not hear my voice, *
and Israel would not obey me.

12 So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their hearts, *
to follow their own devices.

13 Oh, that my people would listen to me! *
that Israel would walk in my ways!

14 I should soon subdue their enemies *
and turn my hand against their foes.

15 Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him, *
and their punishment would last for ever.

16 But Israel would I feed with the finest wheat *
and satisfy him with honey from the rock.



82 Deus stetit

1 God takes his stand in the council of heaven; *
he gives judgment in the midst of the gods:

2 "How long will you judge unjustly, *
and show favor to the wicked?

3 Save the weak and the orphan; *
defend the humble and needy;

4 Rescue the weak and the poor; *
deliver them from the power of the wicked.

5 They do not know, neither do they understand;
they go about in darkness; *
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

6 Now I say to you, 'You are gods, *
and all of you children of the Most High;

7 Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals, *
and fall like any prince.'"

8 Arise, O God, and rule the earth, *
for you shall take all nations for your own.

 

Genesis 27:1-29

Isaac Blesses Jacob

27When Isaac was old and his eyes were dim so that he could not see, he called his elder son Esau and said to him, ‘My son’; and he answered, ‘Here I am.’ 2He said, ‘See, I am old; I do not know the day of my death. 3Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me. 4Then prepare for me savoury food, such as I like, and bring it to me to eat, so that I may bless you before I die.’

5 Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to his son Esau. So when Esau went to the field to hunt for game and bring it, 6Rebekah said to her son Jacob, ‘I heard your father say to your brother Esau, 7“Bring me game, and prepare for me savoury food to eat, that I may bless you before the Lord before I die.” 8Now therefore, my son, obey my word as I command you. 9Go to the flock, and get me two choice kids, so that I may prepare from them savoury food for your father, such as he likes; 10and you shall take it to your father to eat, so that he may bless you before he dies.’ 11But Jacob said to his mother Rebekah, ‘Look, my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I am a man of smooth skin. 12Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to be mocking him, and bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.’ 13His mother said to him, ‘Let your curse be on me, my son; only obey my word, and go, get them for me.’ 14So he went and got them and brought them to his mother; and his mother prepared savoury food, such as his father loved. 15Then Rebekah took the best garments of her elder son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them on her younger son Jacob; 16and she put the skins of the kids on his hands and on the smooth part of his neck. 17Then she handed the savoury food, and the bread that she had prepared, to her son Jacob.

18 So he went in to his father, and said, ‘My father’; and he said, ‘Here I am; who are you, my son?’ 19Jacob said to his father, ‘I am Esau your firstborn. I have done as you told me; now sit up and eat of my game, so that you may bless me.’ 20But Isaac said to his son, ‘How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?’ He answered, ‘Because the Lord your God granted me success.’ 21Then Isaac said to Jacob, ‘Come near, that I may feel you, my son, to know whether you are really my son Esau or not.’ 22So Jacob went up to his father Isaac, who felt him and said, ‘The voice is Jacob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.’ 23He did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau’s hands; so he blessed him. 24He said, ‘Are you really my son Esau?’ He answered, ‘I am.’ 25Then he said, ‘Bring it to me, that I may eat of my son’s game and bless you.’ So he brought it to him, and he ate; and he brought him wine, and he drank. 26Then his father Isaac said to him, ‘Come near and kiss me, my son.’ 27So he came near and kissed him; and he smelled the smell of his garments, and blessed him, and said,

‘Ah, the smell of my son

   is like the smell of a field that the Lord has blessed.

28 May God give you of the dew of heaven,

   and of the fatness of the earth,

   and plenty of grain and wine.

29 Let peoples serve you,

   and nations bow down to you.

Be lord over your brothers,

   and may your mother’s sons bow down to you.

Cursed be everyone who curses you,

   and blessed be everyone who blesses you!’



The Song of Hannah

1 Samuel 2:1-8

My heart exults in you, O God; *
my triumph song is lifted in you.

My mouth derides my enemies, *
for I rejoice in your salvation.

There is none holy like you, *
nor any rock to be compared to you, our God.

Do not heap up prideful words or speak in arrogance; *
Only God is knowing and weighs all actions.

The bows of the mighty are broken, *
but the weak are clothed in strength.

Those once full now labor for bread, *
those who hungered now are well fed.

The childless woman has borne sevenfold, *
while the mother of many is forlorn.

God destroys and brings to life, casts down and raises up; *
gives wealth or takes it away, humbles and dignifies.

God raises the poor from the dust; *
and lifts the needy from the ash heap

To make them sit with the rulers *
and inherit a place of honor.

For the pillars of the earth are God’s *
on which the whole earth is founded.


Romans 12:1-8

The New Life in Christ

12I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters,* by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual* worship. 2Do not be conformed to this world,* but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.*


3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think, but to think with sober judgement, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. 4For as in one body we have many members, and not all the members have the same function, 5so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually we are members one of another. 6We have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us: prophecy, in proportion to faith; 7ministry, in ministering; the teacher, in teaching; 8the exhorter, in exhortation; the giver, in generosity; the leader, in diligence; the compassionate, in cheerfulness.



A Song of Christ’s Humility

Philippians 2:6-11

Though in the form of God, *
Christ Jesus did not cling to equality with God,

But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, *
and was born in human likeness.

Being found in human form, he humbled himself *
and became obedient to death, even death on a cross.

Therefore, God has highly exalted him *
and given him the name above every name,

That at the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow, *
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, *
to the glory of God the Father.


John 8:12-20

Jesus the Light of the World

12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’ 13Then the Pharisees said to him, ‘You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.’ 14Jesus answered, ‘Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15You judge by human standards;* I judge no one. 16Yet even if I do judge, my judgement is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father* who sent me. 17In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. 18I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.’ 19Then they said to him, ‘Where is your Father?’ Jesus answered, ‘You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.’ 20He spoke these words while he was teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.


A Song of Our True Nature

Julian of Norwich

Christ revealed our frailty and our falling, *
our trespasses and our humiliations.

Christ also revealed his blessed power, *
his blessed wisdom and love.

He protects us as tenderly and as sweetly when we are in greatest need; *
he raises us in spirit
and turns everything to glory and joy without ending.

God is the ground and the substance, the very essence of nature;
*
God is the true father and mother of natures.

We are all bound to God by nature, *
and we are all bound to God by grace.

And this grace is for all the world, *
because it is our precious mother, Christ.

For this fair nature was prepared by Christ
for the honor and nobility of all, *
and for the joy and bliss of salvation.


The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,

Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,

The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our sins

as we forgive those who sin against us.

Save us from the time of trial

and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours

now and for ever.    Amen.


Eternal Spirit, 

Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 

Source of all that is and that shall be, 

Father and Mother of us all, 

Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 

The way of your justice be followed by the peoples

of the world! 

Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 

Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 

sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 

In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 

In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 

From trials too great to endure, spare us. 

From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 

now and for ever. Amen.


Lord, 

it is night.

The night is for stillness. 

Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day. 

What has been done has been done; 

what has not been done has not been done; 

let it be.

The night is dark. 

Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 

rest in you. 

The night is quiet. 

Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 

all dear to us, 

and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn. 

Let us look expectantly to a new day, 

new joys, 

new possibilities.

In your name we pray.

Amen. (ANZPB)


 Reconciliation and Forgiveness


 God of compassion, you have reconciled us in Jesus Christ who is our peace: Enable us to live as Jesus lived, breaking down walls of hostility and healing enmity. Give us grace to make peace with those from whom we are divided, that, forgiven and forgiving, we may ever be one in Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit reigns for ever, one holy and undivided Trinity. Amen.



Prayers in the stillness

*Those may be replaced with names, or by using Family Members.

Quiet our minds O God so that we can listen and hear your voice and what you are calling us to do and to be.
Help us to be still and listen to that quiet place in our heart and spirit. Help us to unwind our minds O God.

Quiet our bodies that we may turn our bodies from human doings to human beings.
Take the keys away  that drive our bodies to do and not be.

Help us to feel our spirits and the indwelling of  You and the Holy Spirit in this time of being quiet and still.
May our spirits be enlivened even in the quietness. 

Lord we pray for all who are traveling may they take time to rest and be alert.

Lord help us to lay down our burdens each day at your feet so that we may find rest and spend time with You.

Give us the peace of mind that we are always seeking. 

While we spend time with you Lord please take care of all of our loved ones and those whom we have been praying for. If we should fall asleep and rest be with them as we rest in the quietness.

In the stillness  O Lord may we drink of the Living Water of Life and be refreshed and feel it coursing through our  veins and give us the energy to do your will to your glory and in service to others.

In the stillness we remember and pray for all those who have requested our prayers for themselves and on behalf of others________________________________.

In the stillness we give thanks for the gifts of quiet, contemplation, rest, and times for our bodies, minds, and spirits to be renewed.  We give thanks for__________________________

In the stillness we celebrate those times of joy and those who have made a difference in our lives remembering_____________________

In the stillness we remember those who have entered in to life eternal especially________________
And we remember those continue to grieve.

We pray for those awaiting surgery tomorrow. Calm their fears and anxieties Lord.

We pray for those who are being beset by bad weather O Lord. Ease these weather patterns Lord.

We pray for those who live in earthquake prone areas. Quiet their minds and give them  the peace and knowledge that You O God are there. 

Lord God watch over this your troubled and divided world. Set us on fire to help heal and unite it with our prayers, love, service, and actions. Give us grace, courage and love energy to do this in Your Name. Amen.
Matthew 5:1-12

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. 
“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy. 
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”


― Teresa of Ávila

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)


Song of Simeon Nunc Dimittis
Praise be to God, I have lived to see this day.
God’s promise is fulfilled, and my duty done.

At last you have given me peace,
for I have seen with my own eyes 
the salvation you have prepared for all nations - 
a light to the world in its darkness, 
and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory be God, sustaining, redeeming, sanctifying, 
as in the beginning, so now, and for ever. 
Amen.

The blessing of God, the eternal goodwill of God, the shalom of God, the wildness and the warmth of God, be among us and between us, now and always.


Good Night Dear Ones ! Have a happy week. I love you and give thanks to God for you always. Here is this week's Rule reflection from the Northumbria Community: 

We are called to be available to others through participation in His care and concern for them by praying and INTERCEDING for their situations in the power of the Holy Spirit


Peace, love, prayers, and God's blessings!

Sara

Today's Celtic Saint of the Day from The Northumbria Community :

Teilo (6th Century) February 9th

Teilo was a pupil of Dyfrig and Paul Aurelian (see March 12th), and a cousin of St David (see March 1st), whom he succeeded as Bishop of St David’s. During the plague he spent seven years away from Wales with Samson at Dol in Brittany. His main foundation was at Llandeilo Fawr. One of the sayings attributed to him is: ‘Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it’ – a challenging admonition.

Teach me, Lord, to do all the good that I can and not to do evil, to cherish people and not to harm them, to do Your will and not my own. Grant me Your grace, for without it I can do nothing. Amen.

Resources:

A Disciple's Prayer Book

A to Z quotes

A New Zealand Prayer Book

Book of Common Prayer

Good Book Club

Metis Aboriginal Ministries

Prayers of Power

Satucket Lectionary Page

Walk With Me On Our Journey


No comments:

Post a Comment