Monday, March 26, 2018

The Mighty Marys and other Women who Walked the Walk With Jesus ( Mary of Bethany, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Joses, Mary the Mother of Our Lord, Martha, and Salome)




Good Evening Beloved Community!

It is Monday in Holy Week and we get to meet yet again Mary and Martha of Bethany and many other courageous women who walked the walk with Jesus. Jesus was all inclusive and all loving to everyone. Women were treated with dignity and respect. Can you imagine what Jesus would be doing in our own time? I suspect his circle of love and inclusion would be wide ranging and non divisive. This week let us try to engage in a not so subtle paradigm shift where we become like Jesus and all the women and men who followed him. Let us help the world by being compassionate, accepting, loving, merciful. This week God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit demands it of us. We are not let off the hook by any means. Have faith we do not walk this journey alone because the triune God and all of us are together loving and supporting each other in whatever God is calling us to do. So let us begin our time of prayer and reflection. 

Let us begin tonight's worship with the collect of the day. 

Almighty God, whose most dear Son went not up to joy but first he suffered pain, and entered not into glory before he was crucified: Mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross, may find it none other than the way of life and peace; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22

Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *

I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *

and I will seek her to the end. From first blossom to early fruit, *

she has been the delight of my heart. My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *

diligently from my youth have I pursued her. I inclined my ear a little and received her; *

I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.

 To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, * for I have resolved to live according to her way.

From the beginning I gained courage from her, * therefore I will not be forsaken.

In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, * therefore have I gained a good possession.

As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,* and with it will I offer praise to God. 



Let us engage in the Peace Be Stills as our centering and mindfulness exercise:

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Inhale
Hold
Exhale
Pause.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Inhale
Hold
Exhale
Pause

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Inhale
Hold
Exhale
Pause

I make my prayer to you, O God; * be merciful to me.
I make my prayer to you, O God; be merciful to me.
Heal my soul, for I have sinned against you:
Be merciful to me.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
I make my prayer to you, O God, be merciful to me.

V. Create in me a clean heart, O God:
R. And renew a right spirit within me.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.


IN  LAK’ECH

TÚ ERES MI OTRO YO.
YOU ARE MY OTHER ME.
SI TE HAGO DAÑO A TI,
IF I DO HARM TO YOU,
ME HAGO DAÑO A MI MISMO.
I DO HARM TO MYSELF.
SI TE AMO Y RESPETO,
IF I LOVE AND RESPECT YOU,
ME AMO Y RESPETO YO.
I LOVE AND RESPECT MYSELF.
LUIS VALDEZ

 A Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.

We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 

We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen. 




God,light our hearts with love and justice this night as we pray for an end to hatred and division. God light our pathways to a world where we seek to know and make peace a reality not only in our hearts but in our bodies, minds, spirits, and world. We pray for that we may speak truth to power and let our leaders know that we expect them to be truthful in speech and in action. We pray that we may truly know the history of our land, our world, and yes even how we as people of faith got from point A to point B. We pray that as we light our candles and pray this night we may listen to what you are calling us to do and to be and that we may step out in faith with courage. We pray for all those who are in need of our prayers remembering_______________. We light special candles for those who are in any ICU. We pray and give thanks this day for_____________________. We light our candles and show the world that we are one shining the Light of Christ to each other in Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy and that we may have courage to call out, speak up, stand up, and lift up ourselves from fear to trust, hate to love, injustice to justice, and that we may continue to Walk With God On The Daily Journey we call life. Amen.



Canticle 14

A Song of Penitence Kyrie Pantokrator

Prayer of Manasseh, 1-2, 4, 6-7, 11-15

O Lord and Ruler of the hosts of heaven, *
God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
and of all their righteous offspring:
You made the heavens and the earth, *
with all their vast array.
All things quake with fear at your presence; *
they tremble because of your power.
But your merciful promise is beyond all measure; *
it surpasses all that our minds can fathom.
O Lord, you are full of compassion, *
long-suffering, and abounding in mercy.
You hold back your hand; *
you do not punish as we deserve.
In your great goodness, Lord,
you have promised forgiveness to sinners, *
that they may repent of their sin and be saved.
And now, O Lord, I bend the knee of my heart, *
and make my appeal, sure of your gracious goodness.
I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, *
and I know my wickedness only too well.
Therefore I make this prayer to you: *
Forgive me, Lord, forgive me.
Do not let me perish in my sin, *
nor condemn me to the depths of the earth.
For you, O Lord, are the God of those who repent, *
and in me you will show forth your goodness.
Unworthy as I am, you will save me,
in accordance with your great mercy, *
and I will praise you without ceasing all the days of my life.
For all the powers of heaven sing your praises, *
and yours is the glory to ages of ages. Amen.


John 12:1-11

Six days before the Passover Jesus came to Bethany, the home of Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. There they gave a dinner for him. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those at the table with him. Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus' feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (the one who was about to betray him), said, "Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?" (He said this not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he kept the common purse and used to steal what was put into it.) Jesus said, "Leave her alone. She bought it so that she might keep it for the day of my burial. You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me." When the great crowd of the Jews learned that he was there, they came not only because of Jesus but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. So the chief priests planned to put Lazarus to death as well, since it was on account of him that many of the Jews were deserting and were believing in Jesus.

A Song of Wisdom Sapientia liberavit

Wisdom 10:15-19,20b-21


Wisdom freed from a nation of oppressors *
a holy people and a blameless race.
She entered the soul of a servant of the Lord, *
withstood dread rulers with wonders and signs.
To the saints she gave the reward of their labors, *
and led them by a marvelous way;
She was their shelter by day *
and a blaze of stars by night.
She brought them across the Red Sea, *
she led them through mighty waters;
But their enemies she swallowed in the waves *
and spewed them out from the depths of the abyss.
And then, Lord, the righteous sang hymns to your Name, *
and praised with one voice your protecting hand;
For Wisdom opened the mouths of the mute, *
and gave speech to the tongues of a new-born people.



John 15:1-11 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)

Jesus the True Vine

15 ‘I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes[a] to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed[b] by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become[c] my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.


A Song of God’s Love

1 John 4:7-11

Beloved, let us love one another, *
for love is of God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, *
for God is Love.
In this the love of God was revealed among us, *
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through Jesus Christ.
In this is love, not that we loved God but that God loved us *
and sent his Son that sins might be forgiven.
Beloved, since God loved us so much, *
we ought also to love one another.
For if we love one another, God abides in us, *
and God’s love will be perfected in us.

Luke 23:1-25

Jesus before Pilate

Then the assembly rose as a body and brought Jesus before Pilate. They began to accuse him, saying, ‘We found this man perverting our nation, forbidding us to pay taxes to the emperor, and saying that he himself is the Messiah, a king.’ Then Pilate asked him, ‘Are you the king of the Jews?’ He answered, ‘You say so.’ Then Pilate said to the chief priests and the crowds, ‘I find no basis for an accusation against this man.’ But they were insistent and said, ‘He stirs up the people by teaching throughout all Judea, from Galilee where he began even to this place.’

Jesus before Herod

 When Pilate heard this, he asked whether the man was a Galilean. And when he learned that he was under Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him off to Herod, who was himself in Jerusalem at that time. When Herod saw Jesus, he was very glad, for he had been wanting to see him for a long time, because he had heard about him and was hoping to see him perform some sign. He questioned him at some length, but Jesus gave him no answer. The chief priests and the scribes stood by, vehemently accusing him. Even Herod with his soldiers treated him with contempt and mocked him; then he put an elegant robe on him, and sent him back to Pilate. That same day Herod and Pilate became friends with each other; before this they had been enemies.

Jesus Sentenced to Death

 Pilate then called together the chief priests, the leaders, and the people,and said to them, ‘You brought me this man as one who was perverting the people; and here I have examined him in your presence and have not found this man guilty of any of your charges against him. Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us. Indeed, he has done nothing to deserve death. I will therefore have him flogged and release him.’

 Then they all shouted out together, ‘Away with this fellow! Release Barabbas for us!’ (This was a man who had been put in prison for an insurrection that had taken place in the city, and for murder.) Pilate, wanting to release Jesus, addressed them again; but they kept shouting, ‘Crucify, crucify him!’ A third time he said to them, ‘Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no ground for the sentence of death; I will therefore have him flogged and then release him.’ But they kept urgently demanding with loud shouts that he should be crucified; and their voices prevailed. So Pilate gave his verdict that their demand should be granted.He released the man they asked for, the one who had been put in prison for insurrection and murder, and he handed Jesus over as they wished.

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Let us stand together as we pray for a more loving and just world.
God we pray for the innocents of Syria, Parkland, Orlando, Las Vegas, Great Mills, Charlottesville, Sandy Hook, and San Bernardino. We pray for those who have died and those who have survived. Wrap your loving arms of comfort around everyone and empower the nations to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you without doing harm to anyone. God help us to use words first not bombs, violence, guns, and gasses. 

Hear the cries of your children O God

God, we pray that we may stand together as one family seeking for a solution to all the violence, hatred, division, and indifference.

Hear the cries of your children O God

God we pray that we may speak truth to power when it is necessary to call people out when our brothers and sisters are slandered, verbally abused, and made fun of by senseless and harmful bullying.

Hear the cries of your children O God.

God we pray that we may serve the least of these our family members and see your face in their eyes daily may we seek to come to know you in them.

Hear the cries of your children O God.

God we pray that we may console one another when we are in grief or struggle.

Hear the cries of your children O God.

God we pray that we may stand up with courage when we are needed to say something and not sit idly by when we are made to feel like doormats.

Hear the cries of your children O God.

God we pray for_____________________________

Hear the cries of your children O God.

God we pray that we may help you make this fragile and broken world a more loving and just place in which to live, move, and just be.

Hear the cries of your children O God.


God accept these our prayers in the Holy Name of Jesus. Amen.


The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.


DEUTERONOMY 6:4-9

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.* 5You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. 6Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart.7Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. 8Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem* on your forehead,9and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

The blessing of God, the eternal goodwill of God, the shalom of God, the wildness and the warmth of God, be among us and between us, now and always.


+++++

Good Night Beloved Community. Let us take time stay present for one another and especially in God's abiding presence this week. Let our faces continually be set like flint in the right direction. Know that you are loved and are appreciated. Take time for reflection that will lead to change in this fragile and broken world.


Love, blessings, and prayers,

Sara












++++++


Resources:

#LiveLent
The Good Book Club
Meeting Jesus in the Gospel of John
Bible Gateway
Oremus  Bible Browser
Satucket Lectionary
A New Zealand Prayer Book
In Lak 'Ech - Luis Valdez
Enriching our Worship
Book of Common Prayer
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries




No comments:

Post a Comment