Sunday, September 8, 2019

Are we willing to be molded by God and let go of worldly possessions?







Good Evening Family of Love!

Happy Sabbath Day! Today our lessons are asking us many things. Remember that our retreat focus were and are these questions: Am I sowing seeds? Am I being fruitful with the gifts God has given me?, and Am I living into the spirit of Ubuntu? God is continuously molding us into what God wants us to be. God is the chief potter and we are the clay. Sometimes we aren't woke enough to recognize these changes in us. I know when I started writing this blog I wasn't. I never know what God's choreography is going to bring each day. So this is where we all need to allow ourselves to be molded and to let go of worldly possessions. The more we de-clutter our minds, bodies, spirits, and attachment to things and that also includes heavy duty attachment to people we won't be free to accept this sacred molding. So let us ponder these quotes on molding:



"A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
 Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"The basic purpose of prayer is not to bend God's will to mine, but to mold my will into His." ~ Timothy Keller

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act." ~ Gautama Buddha

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"Can such stiff and formal moldings as words capture the spirit-essence of love?" ~ Pearl S. Buck

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"It was a wine jar when the molding began: as the wheel runs round why does it turn out a water pitcher?" ~ Horace

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"True wisdom consists in not departing from nature and in molding our conduct according to her laws and model." ~ Seneca the Younger

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"You see, a potter can only mold the clay when it lies completely in his hand. It requires complete surrender." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"We are all jars of clay, fragile and poor, yet we carry within us an immense treasure." ~ Pope Francis

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"Beautiful in form and feature, lovely as the day, can there be so fair a creature formed of common clay?" ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"This Great God, Like a mammy bending over her baby, Kneeled down in the dust Toiling over a lump of clay Till He shaped it in His own image." ~ James Weldon Johnson

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"God says "This is what I would love you to be, but I am not going to constrain you. I want it to be your choice." And it is a fantastic thing because even at the moment when I am making the choice to reject God, I would depend from moment to moment, you know that beautiful image of God creating by breathing God's breath into this lump of clay, making it a human being." ~ Desmond Tutu

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"O God, the creature knows not to what end Thou hast made Him; teach him, and write in the depths of his soul that the clay must suffer itself to be shaped at the will of the potter." ~ Francois Fenelon

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"Learn to humble yourself, you are but earth and clay." ~ Thomas a Kempis

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"Christ alone, of all the philosophers, magicians, etc., has affirmed eternal life as the most important certainty, the infinity of time, the futility of death, the necessity and purpose of serenity and devotion. He lived serenely, as an artist greater than all other artists, scorning marble and clay and paint, working in the living flesh. In other words, this peerless artist, scarcely conceivable with the blunt instrument of our modern, nervous and obtuse brains, made neither statues nor paintings nor books. He maintained in no uncertain terms that he made ... living men, immortals." ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.


"Absolute power turns its possessors not into a God but an anti-God. For God turned clay into men, while the absolute despot turns men into clay." ~ Eric Hoffer

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"Walk with me, but don't follow me blindly. Hold fast to the truth, not to my garments. My body is merely a clay structure; today it is here, tomorrow it shall be gone. If you attach yourself to me today, what are you going to do tomorrow when I am not with you? Attach yourself to God, attach yourself to humanity, only then will you be closer to me." ~ Peace Pilgrim

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"Know that you are God's beautiful child, always in God's hands. Accept God... accept God's protection... there is really no problem to fear. Know that you are not the clay garment. Know that you are not the self-centered nature which governs your life needlessly. Know that you are the God-centered nature, The Kingdom of God within. The Indwelling Christ. Eternal and indestructible. Identify with the real you." ~ Peace Pilgrim

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

"Who am I? It matters not that you know who I am; it is of little importance. This clay garment is one of a penniless pilgrim journeying in the name of peace. It is what you cannot see that is so very important. I am one who is propelled by the power of faith; I bathe in the light of eternal wisdom; I am sustained by the unending energy of the universe; this is who I really am." ~ Peace Pilgrim

Read.
Pause.
Reflect.
Pray.

++++++


Come let us worship.

Whoever does not carry the cross and follow Jesus cannot be his disciple. Luke 14:27

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere."
- James 3:17

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7


Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.

For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.

May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.



IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez

A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.

Image result for smudging ceremony

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.




From the Resistance Prays -

God of peace, you promise to give us wisdom if we ask. We ask for someone who refuses to ask and who refuses to admit his own lack of wisdom. Protect the Afghan people and bring peace to your people in Afghanistan. 




Psalm 139:1-5, 12-17

Domine, probasti

1 Lord, you have searched me out and known me; *
you know my sitting down and my rising up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
2 You trace my journeys and my resting-places *
and are acquainted with all my ways.
3 Indeed, there is not a word on my lips, *
but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
4 You press upon me behind and before *
and lay your hand upon me.
5 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; *
it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
12 For you yourself created my inmost parts; *
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
13 I will thank you because I am marvelously made; *
your works are wonderful, and I know it well.
14 My body was not hidden from you, *
while I was being made in secret
and woven in the depths of the earth.
15 Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
all of them were written in your book; *
they were fashioned day by day,
when as yet there was none of them.
16 How deep I find your thoughts, O God! *
how great is the sum of them!
17 If I were to count them, they would be more in number than the sand; *
to count them all, my life span would need to be like yours.



Jeremiah 18:1-11

The Potter and the Clay

18The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2‘Come, go down to the potter’s house, and there I will let you hear my words.’ 3So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. 4The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him.

5 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 6Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. 11Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.

The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.



Philemon 1-21

Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother,

To Philemon our dear friend and co-worker, to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

When I remember you in my prayers, I always thank my God because I hear of your love for all the saints and your faith toward the Lord Jesus. I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective when you perceive all the good that we may do for Christ. I have indeed received much joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, my brother.

For this reason, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do your duty, yet I would rather appeal to you on the basis of love-- and I, Paul, do this as an old man, and now also as a prisoner of Christ Jesus. I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment. Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you and to me. I am sending him, that is, my own heart, back to you. I wanted to keep him with me, so that he might be of service to me in your place during my imprisonment for the gospel; but I preferred to do nothing without your consent, in order that your good deed might be voluntary and not something forced. Perhaps this is the reason he was separated from you for a while, so that you might have him back forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a beloved brother-- especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

So if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. If he has wronged you in any way, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand: I will repay it. I say nothing about your owing me even your own self. Yes, brother, let me have this benefit from you in the Lord! Refresh my heart in Christ. Confident of your obedience, I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say.

A Song of Our Adoption
Ephesians 1:3-10
Blessed are you, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *
for you have blessed us in Christ
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
Before the world was made, you chose us to be yours in Christ, *
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
You destined us for adoption as your children through Jesus Christ,
*
according to the good pleasure of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace, *
that you have freely given us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace *
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight, *
the mystery of your will,
According to your good pleasure which you set forth in Christ, *
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To gather together all things in Christ, *
things in heaven and things on earth.


Luke 14:25-33

Now large crowds were traveling with Jesus; and he turned and said to them, "Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, saying, `This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.' Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions."


A Song of Faith
1 Peter 1:3-4,18-21

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *
by divine mercy we have a new birth into a living hope;
Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, *
we have an inheritance that is imperishable in heaven.
The ransom that was paid to free us *
was not paid in silver or gold,
But in the precious blood of Christ, *
the Lamb without spot or stain.
God raised Jesus from the dead and gave him glory *
so that we might have faith and hope in God.

Today's Collects from A New Zealand Prayer Book and the Book of Common Prayer:

Servant God,
grant us opportunity,
give us willingness
to serve you day by day;
that what we do
and how we bear each other’s burdens,
may be our sacrifice to you.
Hear this prayer for your love’s sake.
Amen.

Grant us, O Lord, to trust in you with all our hearts; for, as you always resist the proud who confide in their own strength, so you never forsake those who make their boast of your mercy; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven,
     hallowed be thy Name, 
     thy kingdom come, 
     thy will be done, 
         on earth as it is in heaven. 
Give us this day our daily bread. 
And forgive us our trespasses, 
     as we forgive those 
         who trespass against us. 
And lead us not into temptation, 
     but deliver us from evil. 
For thine is the kingdom, 
     and the power, and the glory, 
     for ever and ever. Amen.




We pray and give thanks for housing and pray for all of our family members who are lacking sufficient shelter. Help us to fight for affordable housing for our low-income family members and encourage those seeking election to do the same.

We pray and give thanks for the food that we eat and pray for our family members who are food insecure and hungry. Help us to gladly share our left over food and we pray for all the many organizations who provide needed food for our family members.

We pray and give thanks for clothing that we wear and pray that we may share the clothes that we no longer wear to those who do not have any. Help us to be aware of those who need not only clothes but towels, blankets, socks, shoes, and sleeping bags.

We pray and give thanks for all the many aid agencies that come to the aid of all the least of these when we can't. Help us to become volunteers and lift the burdens of these agencies from their shoulders.

We pray this night for all of our family members who are in need of safe places outdoors and especially places to go to the bathroom. Yes we pray for all of our family members who need to be able to respect their bodily functions and use facilities that are private and not out in the open. 

We pray that the candidates who are seeking election may be listening with the ear of the heart and walk the walk that Jesus walked and serve the least of these. Amen.

The light of Christ in Me Recognizes the Light of Christ in You!






Dear God we come before you in the late night hours seeking rest for our bodies minds and spirits and that we may be able to let go of anything that troubles us.

God we pray for all who work in the late night hours that they may be safe in their places of work.

God keep watch over all who travel and our family members who find themselves out walking or driving in the dark.

God we pray for our family members who are refugees and who find themselves living in poverty.

God we pray for peace within ourselves and in the world. We pray that we may be united in love, mercy, joy, and justice.

God we pray for all who are transitioning from this life on into the next and our family members who have died.

God we celebrate with our family members who are adding another year to their lives and marriages and life's unexpected and joyful celebrations.

God we pray for all or our family members who are living with chronic illnesses, are hospitalized, and have run of the mill illnesses.

God we pray for all our family members who represent the least of these that they may find help, hope, and better living conditions and may be lifted up and not be seen as invisible.

God we pray for__________________________

God we pray these prayers in the Name of Jesus. Amen.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10)

The Light and Love of Christ I hold out to you is my promise that we are family one to another this day and always. The Light of Christ in Me , Recognizes the Light of Christ in you. We lift up these our prayers in Jesus most holy name. Amen.

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

As we approach the 18th anniversary of 9/11 let us pray this litany this week:

September 12th National Moral Day of Action

Litany
Not for the feint of heart!

From MoralRevival.org

Leader: We have heard the prophet's call to repair the breach and we know our Constitution's goal of a more perfect union.

People: We reach back to our sacred texts that affirm life, love, and justice. “This is what the Lord says: Do what is just and right.  Rescue from the hand of the oppressor the one who has been robbed.  Do no wrong or violence to the foreigner, the fatherless, or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood.”  (Jeremiah 22:3)

Leader: We affirm the prophets and proclaim, “Doom to you who legislate evil, who make laws that make misery for the poor, that rob my destitute people of dignity, exploiting defenseless widows, taking advantage of homeless children.”  (Isaiah 10:1-2)
People: We hear the cries of the people from the New Testament, “All the workers you’ve exploited and cheated cry out for judgment.  The groans of the workers you used and abused are a roar in the ears of God.”  (James 5:4)

Leader: We uphold dignity and respect for all from the Qu’ran, “The believers, both men and women, are responsible for one another: all enjoin the doing of what is right, and forbid the doing of what is wrong” (Qu’ran 9:71)

People: And we will not rest in our quest for freedom until it comes as is affirmed in the Bhagavad Gita, “For the protection of the virtuous, for the extirpation of the evil-doers, and for establishing Dharma, righteousness, on a firm footing, I am born from age to age.” (Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 4: 7-8)

Leader: We believe this to be true: All people have inherent rights, and no one can take them away.

People: We have the right to life, to liberty and to the pursuit of happiness.

Leader: We believe that the power of our governments derives from us, the people

People: For the purpose of providing for the general welfare and protecting our human rights.

Leader: We believe in the values of democracy we were taught, so we cannot accept our democracy’s feeble state.

People: We cannot accept voter suppression and intimidation that target people of color and the poor.

Leader: We cannot accept demagoguery and fear-mongering that demonize and divide.

People: we cannot accept that 45 million are poor in the richest country in history, or that 1 in 5 children are food insecure.

Leader: We cannot accept wages that don’t provide for a decent life, or the suppression of workers’ rights to organize and bargain collectively.

People: We cannot accept segregation and inequality in our public schools, or the attempts to privatize and profit-ize them.

Leader: We cannot accept that 29 million Americans don’t have health insurance, including more than 4 million denied Medicaid expansion by their state.

People: We cannot accept inaction in the face of climate change and its disproportionate impact on impoverished communities.

Leader: We cannot accept that 1 in 3 Black men born today can expect to spend time in prison, nor that our country holds one quarter of the world’s prisoners but only 1/20 its population.

People: We cannot accept endless war, which spends lives and resources only to destroy lives and resources.

Leader:  We cannot accept attacks on our neighbors: immigrants, religious minorities, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer folks, the disabled, or the poor.

People:  We cannot accept the way things are because we have been given a moral vision of how things ought to be.

Leader: We are here to summon the better angels of our nature and press together toward higher ground.

All: Forward together, not one step back!


+++++

Good Night ! I love you !  May we rest gentle in God's arms !

Love and prayers united in compassion, acceptance, love and mercy,

Sara


Resources: 
A New Zealand Prayer Book
A to Z Quotes
Prayers of Power
MoralRevival.org
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Lectionary Page
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship



No comments:

Post a Comment