Friday, November 29, 2019

Our final Friday Vigil in this Church Year! Time to reflect, prepare and begin anew!



Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Friday! I hope everyone has had a good day. For the past four days I have been down at the Faith Factory a.k.a. St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Santa Maria California. This is the time when we are transitioning between liturgical seasons. We are going from the long green season of Pentecost to the short violet season of Advent. There is quite a lot to do but it is well worth it. I find these transitions times of CALM ( Contemplation, Alertness, Letting God be God, and Mindfulness) also this kind of CALM(Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy). Advent is a season where we must learn to be woke. So dear ones let us start meditating upon our new #AdventWords or here at Walk With Me On Our Journey #HashTagsWithMeaning. You will notice that many of them coincide with our Presiding Bishop Michael Curry's #WayOfLove. During our weekend retreat let us look at these words and journal our journey beginning with word 1 unexpected and woke. What does it mean to be woke? Are you woke? 





Come let us worship.

By the rivers of Babylon—
    there we sat down and there we wept
    when we remembered Zion. 
On the willows there
    we hung up our harps. 
For there our captors
    asked us for songs,
and our tormentors asked for mirth, saying,
    “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!” 
How could we sing the Lord’s song
    in a foreign land? 
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
    let my right hand wither! 
Let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth,
    if I do not remember you,
if I do not set Jerusalem
    above my highest joy.


Psalm 137: 1-6


We are children of God, so God has sent the Spirit into our hearts. Galatians 4:6

We are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 1 Corinthians 12:27

Jesus said, ‘The bread of life is that which comes down from heaven, and gives life to the world.’ John 6:33

Through faith we are all children of God in union with Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:26

God has given us eternal life, and this life is in Jesus the Son. Anyone who has the Son has life. 1 John 5:12

We look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen; for the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18


It is the God who said, Let light shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body. 2 Corinthians 4:6-10

Better is a little with righteousness than large income with injustice.

-Proverbs 16: 8, New Revised Standard Version


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.




From The Resistance Prays

Holy One,
You have given us enough
And so, we give you thanks
For the gifts we need to challenge and change
For companions on the journey toward reconciliation

We give you thanks for the wisdom of our bodies
The creativity and passion of our minds
The grounding of our own souls in a world unsettled and turned

And we give you thanks
For the unsettling, as well
We thank you for the moments when our being breaks through the complacency of markets
To name what is not right and what still can be

Help us to hold both of these truths deep in our being, Holy One,
Giving thanks and giving voice,
Breathing in and breathing out,
Growing and rising still

Amen



In the months to come, as we hear the voices of too many white Americans continue to insist on controlling the narrative of what it means to be a “real American,” I invite you to prayerfully read the words of poet David M. Williams (below). Hear what the Spirit is saying to the people. And let the people say, “Amen.”
_________

Ode to a Lady

Spotted in the murky harbor,
our ship Canada-bound
soon to pass,

I glanced
sideways, frowned, and wondered
how she was faring, a clay green torch-bearing

beacon that looked the transcendent
proprietress of an inn
with many rooms.

A ferry steamed toward her, full
of many-colored hats and a few people
waving at our fourteen-deck behemoth.

As we passed, with slightly
stooping shoulders,
she held forth her torch.

Tears welled up as
I recalled a childhood trip, my mother
letting me climb to her crown.

Now leaning over the rail
on the tenth deck of our ship

I heard her whisper how dare they.

++++

Let us take time to do our Worry Free Sabbath work and then engage in mindfulness before we enter fully into our time of worship.

Now let us  begin relaxing our bodies by unwinding, breathing, doing some relaxation exercises that will make you feel de-stressed.

After this let us listen to this Ravi Shankar Chants of India  or this Relaxation: Relaxing Nature Sounds and Tibetan Chakra Meditation Music for Relaxation Meditation
141 Domine, clamavi

1 O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.

2 Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

3 Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.

4 Let me not be occupied in wickedness with evildoers, *
nor eat of their choice foods.

5 Let the righteous smite me in friendly rebuke;
let not the oil of the unrighteous anoint my head; *
for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds.

6 Let their rulers be overthrown in stony places, *
that they may know my words are true.

7 As when a plowman turns over the earth in furrows, *
let their bones be scattered at the mouth of the grave.

8 But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God; *
in you I take refuge;
do not strip me of my life.

9 Protect me from the snare which they have laid for me *
and from the traps of the evildoers.

10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets, *
while I myself escape.

143 Domine, exaudi

1 Lord, hear my prayer,
and in your faithfulness heed my supplications; *
answer me in your righteousness.

2 Enter not into judgment with your servant, *
for in your sight shall no one living be justified.

3 For my enemy has sought my life;
he has crushed me to the ground; *
he has made me live in dark places like those who
are long dead.

4 My spirit faints within me; *
my heart within me is desolate.

5 I remember the time past;
I muse upon all your deeds; *
I consider the works of your hands.

6 I spread out my hands to you; *
my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.

7 O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me; *
do not hide your face from me
or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.

8 Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
for I put my trust in you; *
show me the road that I must walk,
for I lift up my soul to you.

9 Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord, *
for I flee to you for refuge.

10 Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God; *
let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

11 Revive me, O Lord, for your Name's sake; *
for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

(12 Of your goodness, destroy my enemies
and bring all my foes to naught, *
for truly I am your servant.)


Isaiah 24:14-23

14 They lift up their voices, they sing for joy;
   they shout from the west over the majesty of the Lord. 
15 Therefore in the east give glory to the Lord;
   in the coastlands of the sea glorify the name of the Lord, the God of Israel. 
16 From the ends of the earth we hear songs of praise,
   of glory to the Righteous One.
But I say, I pine away,
   I pine away. Woe is me!
For the treacherous deal treacherously,
   the treacherous deal very treacherously. 


17 Terror, and the pit, and the snare
   are upon you, O inhabitant of the earth! 
18 Whoever flees at the sound of the terror
   shall fall into the pit,
and whoever climbs out of the pit
   shall be caught in the snare.
For the windows of heaven are opened,
   and the foundations of the earth tremble. 
19 The earth is utterly broken,
   the earth is torn asunder,
   the earth is violently shaken. 
20 The earth staggers like a drunkard,
   it sways like a hut;
its transgression lies heavy upon it,
   and it falls, and will not rise again. 


21 On that day the Lord will punish
   the host of heaven in heaven,
   and on earth the kings of the earth. 
22 They will be gathered together
   like prisoners in a pit;
they will be shut up in a prison,
   and after many days they will be punished. 
23 Then the moon will be abashed,
   and the sun ashamed;
for the Lord of hosts will reign
   on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem,

and before his elders he will manifest his glory.

A Song of Ezekiel
Ezekiel 36:24-28
I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God.



1 Peter 3:13-4:6

13 Now who will harm you if you are eager to do what is good? 14But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear,* and do not be intimidated, 15but in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be ready to make your defence to anyone who demands from you an account of the hope that is in you; 16yet do it with gentleness and reverence.* Keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who abuse you for your good conduct in Christ may be put to shame. 17For it is better to suffer for doing good, if suffering should be God’s will, than to suffer for doing evil. 18For Christ also suffered* for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you* to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, 19in which also he went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, 20who in former times did not obey, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight people, were saved through water. 21And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you—not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for* a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers made subject to him.
Good Stewards of God’s Grace

4Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh,* arm yourselves also with the same intention (for whoever has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin), 2so as to live for the rest of your earthly life* no longer by human desires but by the will of God. 3You have already spent enough time in doing what the Gentiles like to do, living in licentiousness, passions, drunkenness, revels, carousing, and lawless idolatry. 4They are surprised that you no longer join them in the same excesses of dissipation, and so they blaspheme.* 5But they will have to give an account to him who stands ready to judge the living and the dead. 6For this is the reason the gospel was proclaimed even to the dead, so that, though they had been judged in the flesh as everyone is judged, they might live in the spirit as God does.

A Song of Christ’s Goodness
Anselm of Canterbury

Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.
Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.
You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.
Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.
Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.
Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.
Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.
In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.

Matthew 20:17-28

17 While Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve disciples aside by themselves, and said to them on the way, 18‘See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death; 19then they will hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified; and on the third day he will be raised.’
20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling before him, she asked a favour of him. 21And he said to her, ‘What do you want?’ She said to him, ‘Declare that these two sons of mine will sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.’ 22But Jesus answered, ‘You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?’* They said to him, ‘We are able.’ 23He said to them, ‘You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.’

24 When the ten heard it, they were angry with the two brothers. 25But Jesus called them to him and said, ‘You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. 26It will not be so among you; but whoever wishes to be great among you must be your servant, 27and whoever wishes to be first among you must be your slave; 28just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.’



The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
Or
Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.

Hymn

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing



God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
may the gifts of your Spirit
be our goal and our strength
now and always.

Praise and glory to you creator Spirit of God;
you make our bread Christ’s body
to heal and reconcile
and to make us the body of Christ.
You make our wine Christ’s living sacrificial blood
to redeem the world.
You are truth.
You come like the wind of heaven, unseen, unbidden.
Like the dawn
you illuminate the world around us;
you grant us a new beginning every day.
You warm and comfort us.
You give us courage and fire
and strength beyond our everyday resources.
Be with us Holy Spirit in all we say or think,
in all we do this and every day.



Gracious God we come to you this night with many things on our hearts and minds. Lift our spirits as we reflect upon our celebration of Thanksgiving and the end of the Church Year looking forward into the season of Advent. May we see each of these as times of joyful expectation.

Gracious God we pray for our family throughout the world and that peace may prevail everywhere and in our own country.

Gracious God  we pray for  understanding between all peoples and that we begin to not be afraid of race, creed, color, gender, or sexual orientation.

Gracious God we offer our prayers and thanksgivings to you  remembering especially____________

Gracious God we pray for the least of these that they may find safe shelter, warm meals, and protective clothing. We pray that we may see you in them as we serve and love them without fear and judgement.

Gracious God we pray for all who travel and that the weather will be in their favor.

Gracious God may we always be thankful and have an attitude of gratitude.

We pray these prayers and offer them in the Name of your Only Son who taught us the true meaning of thanksgiving by instituting the Holy Eucharist which means Holy Thanksgiving. Amen.
A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

God you have reminded us that we are precious, help us to convey this to all the voiceless ones.
May we lift up our voices with strength and loving compassion for those who cannot speak.

God you have reminded us that we are to be a forever and eternal family and as we are this we need to lovingly respond to the need of our family members. 
May we lift up our voices with strength and loving compassion for those who cannot speak.

God you teach us many things day by day. May we remember that we are each other's keeper.
May we lift up our voices with strength and loving compassion for those who cannot speak.

God you love us unconditionally through and through. May we find the way to do this and model your example. May we have courage to speak the words I love you with warm hearts and light in our eyes.
May we lift up our voices with strength and loving compassion for those who cannot speak. 

God we pray for all who are ill and seeking healing. We pray and give thanks for healing that has already taken place. May we speak up for our family members who may not know how to advocate for themselves.
May we lift up our voices with strength and loving compassion for those who cannot speak.

God we pray for ourselves and on behalf of others remembering especially_____________
May we lift up our voices with strength and loving compassion for those who cannot speak.

Jesus we come to you with our voices united in prayer for peace and lift up these our petitions and prayers in your Name. Amen.

The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10


The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
  as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.




Come Holy Spirit, calm our hearts, minds, and physical selves that  we may feel your  enlivening and empowering presence.

Gracious Spirit, we pray for peace in this troubled and broken world of ours  and in ourselves.

Gracious Spirit, as we approach God's day of Sabbath may we prepare ourselves in heart and mind to meet Jesus in the breaking of the bread, the cup of salvation, and by drinking from the well of the Water of life that never runs dry.

Gracious Spirit, help us to give ourselves permission to take rest, do self-care, and honor God by entering into that weekly Sabbath Rest.

Gracious Spirit, give us courage to serve the least of these and become their loving and compassionate brothers and sisters.

Gracious Spirit, heal all those who are ill in body, mind, and spirit.

Gracious Spirit, we pray for the protection of those who travel .

Gracious Spirit, may we ever seek to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God.

Gracious Spirit, encircle all those who are dying and who have died.  Enfold you loving arms around the departed and give loving comfort to those who mourn. May we lovingly enfold them as well.

Gracious Spirit, as the night has fallen and we shall soon be at rest we pray with special intention for ourselves and especially our family members who have asked us to pray for their concerns especially___________________

We add any other prayers, celebrations, remembrances, and thanksgivings here. We pray these prayers in the Holy Name of Jesus. Amen.


The blessing of God, the eternal goodwill of God, the shalom of God, the wildness and the warmth of God, be among us and between us, now and always.

Today's Celtic Rite of Compline from the Northumbria Community may be added!


Friday – The Boisil Compline
Boisil, Prior of Melrose Abbey, died in 661. Bede described him as a ‘priest of great virtue and prophetic spirit.’ Boisil, on his first meeting with Cuthbert, who was to be his pupil, exclaimed, ‘Behold, the servant of the Lord!’ – recognizing the call of God on the young man’s life.If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.



+ (silently)

* O Lord, You will keep us safe
and protect us forever.

I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.

* I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.

* Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.

* Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.

Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.

* Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.

* Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in His peace.

God with me protecting,
the Lord with me directing,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.

* In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.

The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen

Today’s Meditation

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think that I am following Your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please You
does in fact please You.
And I hope that I have that desire
in all that I am doing.

And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road
although I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust You always,
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death,
I will not fear, for You are ever with me,
and will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton

++++

Good Night All! I love you and give God thanks for you this day and always! Let us lace up our shoes and put on an attitude of gratitude and fearlessly with Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy walk into and through the Gratitude Zone this weekend and always.

With love and a grateful heart,

Sara



Resources

Satucket Lectionary Page
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship
Northumbria Community
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment