Friday, October 9, 2020

A Friday Reflection !






Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Friday and our Vigil and Retreat weekend. Tomorrow is World Mental Health Day. I felt that this was a time for us to reflect upon our spiritual and mental health as we approach a long milestone in this season of pandemics. Tonight we will ponder quotes on mental and spiritual health and have lessons from the Daily Office. Tonight's homework assignment is to journal these two portions of scripture that will help us understand what God wants us to do within our Beloved Community! So let us begin:

Here is the format from A Disciple's Prayer Book

Reflect and Respond to the Gospel of the Day
1. What word(s), idea(s), or sentence(s) stand out for
you in the Gospel of the Day?
(Reread the Gospel.)
2. What is Jesus (the Gospel) saying to you?
(Reread the Gospel.)
3. What is Jesus (the Gospel) calling you to do?


Luke 4:18-19J.B. Phillips New Testament
16-19 Then he came to Nazareth where he had been brought up and, according to his custom, went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day. He stood up to read the scriptures and the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book and found the place where these words are written—‘The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord’.

Acts 2:42-47
J.B. Phillips New Testament
The first large-scale conversion
41-42 Then those who welcomed his message were baptised, and on that day alone about three thousand souls were added to the number of disciples. They continued steadily learning the teaching of the apostles, and joined in their fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayer.
43-47 Everyone felt a deep sense of awe, while many miracles and signs took place through the apostles. All the believers shared everything in common; they sold their possessions and goods and divided the proceeds among the fellowship according to individual need. Day after day they met by common consent in the Temple; they broke bread together in their homes, sharing meals with simple joy. They praised God continually and all the people respected them. Every day the Lord added to their number those who were finding salvation.

Now let us spend time engaging in this mindfulness exercise.


Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.



Let us ponder these quotes on spiritual and mental health.

"Those with dementia are still people and they still have stories and they still have character and they're all individuals and they're all unique. And they just need to be interacted with on a human level." ~ Carey Mulligan

"Faith and prayer are the vitamins of the soul; man cannot live in health without them." ~ Mahalia Jackson

"Compassion suits our physical condition, whereas anger, fear and distrust are harmful to our well-being. Therefore, just as we learn the importance of physical hygiene to physical health, to ensure healthy minds, we need to learn some kind of emotional hygiene." ~ Dalai Lama

"Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit." ~ B.K.S. Iyengar


"We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own 'to do' list." ~ Michelle Obama

"The secret of health for both mind and body is...live the present moment wisely and earnestly." ~ Gautama Buddha


"What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, more unashamed conversation." ~ Glenn Close

"Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open." ~ B.K.S. Iyengar


"There is no health without mental health." ~ David Satcher

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live." ~ Jim Rohn

"Hope is a renewable option: 
If you run out of it at the end of the day, you get to start over in the morning." ~ Barbara Kingsolver

"Health is an announcement of agreement between your body, mind and spirit. Honor your body, keep it in good shape. When you are not healthy, look to see which parts of you disagree. Your body will demonstrate the truth to you. Notice what it is showing you, listen to what it is saying." ~ Neale Donald Walsch


"Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, but stigma and bias shame us all." ~ William J. Clinton

"I give a portion of my time to helping others. It is good for my own health." ~ Louise Hay

"You can't patch a wounded soul with a Band-Aid." ~ Michael Connelly

"Solitude is an essential element for the spiritual health of a child. If we only stimulate our children - keep them busy with endless stories with no space to be alone - that's not good." ~ Henri Nouwen

"My goal is to see that mental illness is treated like cancer." ~ Jane Pauley

"I really feel that some people neglect and overlook compassion because they associate it with religion. Of course, everyone is free to choose whether they pay religion any regard, but to neglect compassion is a mistake because it is the source of our own well-being." ~ Dalai Lama

"Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love." ~ Claude Monet

"There comes a time when it is vitally important for your spiritual health to drop your clothes, look in the mirror, and say, ‘Here I am. This is the body-like-no-other that my life has shaped. I live here. This is my soul’s address" ~ Barbara Brown Taylor

"A child's mental health is just as important as their physical health." ~ Kate Middleton

"Every Christian would agree that a man's spiritual health is exactly proportional to his love for God." ~ C. S. Lewis

"Our eternal message of hope is that dawn will come." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


"We humans have lost the wisdom of genuinely resting and relaxing. We worry too much. We don't allow our bodies to heal, and we don't allow our minds and hearts to heal." ~ Nhat Hanh



Come let us worship!

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

Christ became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and has given him the name that is above every name.Philippians 2:8–9

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have all turned to our own way, and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.Isaiah 53:12


It is the God who said, Let light shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body.2 Corinthians 4:6-10

Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us.Hebrews 12:1


‘Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights,’ says the Lord; ‘I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.’Isaiah 42:1


Anselm: We Bring Our Troubles
We bring before You, O God:
The troubles and perils of people and nations,
The sighings of the sick,
The sorrows of the bereaved,
The necessities of strangers,
The helplessness of the weak,
The despondency of the weary,
The failing powers of any age.
May each of us draw as near to You
As You are near to each of us.

Howard Thurman: Prayers
I LAY BARE BEFORE YOU
The concern which I lay bare before You today is:
Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me—I would seek the root or cause of such disaffection, and with the illumination of Your mind, O God, to understand it.
I give myself to Your scrutiny that, whatever there may be in me that is responsible for what has happened, I will acknowledge.
Where I have wronged or given offense deliberately or without intention, I seek a face-to-face forgiveness.
What I can undo I am willing to try; what I cannot undo, with that I seek to make my peace.
How to do these things, what techniques to use, with what spirit—for these I need and seek Your wisdom and strength, O God.
Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me, I lay bare before You.

OUR LITTLE LIVES
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!
The quietness in Your temple of silence again and again rebuffs us:
For some there is no discipline to hold them steady in the waiting,
And the minds reject the noiseless invasion of Your spirit.
For some there is no will to offer what is central in the thoughts—
The confusion is so manifest, there is no starting place to take hold.
For some the evils of the world tear down all concentrations
And scatter the focus of the high resolves.
The threat of war covers us with heavy shadows,
Making the days big with forebodings—
The nights crowded with frenzied dreams and restless churnings.
We do not know how to do what we know to do.
We do not know how to be what we know to be.
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!
Brood over our spirits, Creator;
Blow upon whatever dream You have for us,
That there may glow once again upon our hearths
The light from Your altar.
Pour out upon us whatever our spirits need of shock, of life, of release
That we may find strength for these days—
Courage and hope for tomorrow.
In confidence we rest in Your sustaining grace
Which makes possible triumph in defeat, gain in loss, and love in hate.
We rejoice this day to say:
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!


Light of the World Phos hilaron
Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.





THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES - Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.





For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.





May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.


Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 
We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.





In Lak 'Ech

Tú eres mi otro yo.

You are my other me.

Si te hago daño a ti,

If I do harm to you,

Me hago daño a mi mismo.

I do harm to myself.

Si te amo y respeto,

If I love and respect you,

Me amo y respeto yo.

I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez






SLOW US DOWN…YET ALSO -Anonymous

Slow us down, O God. Ease the pounding of our hearts by the quieting of our minds;

Yet also, wake us up. Shake the complacency out of our souls by opening our minds to the cry of the wounded, the refugees wandering without homes, the homeless at home, and the children who starve.

Steady our hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time;

Yet also, quicken our steps with a vision of the urgent action now required to cure the causes of stunted growth, premature death, battered women, and abused children.

Give us, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlast ing hills;

Yet also, alert our eyes not to the comforting illusion of constancy divorced from change, but rather to such sharp reality as deep poverty surrounding us at home and abroad.

Break the tensions of our nerves and muscles with the soothing mu sic of the singing streams;

Yet also, give us, amid the calm days of our years, souls which are prepared to cope with the confusion necessarily occurring amidst new creation in the cities, towns, and the countries of the earth.

Help us to know the magical, restoring power of sleep;

Yet also, break the chains of euphoria deluding us to think that we are acting responsibly when we do no more than listen to music which protects our feet from marching.

Remind us of the fable of the hare and the tortoise, that we may know that there is more to life than increasing its speed;

Yet also, remind us of the fable of the astrologer who fell plumb to the bottom of a well, not seeing his feet while reading the sky.

Slow us down, O God, and inspire us to send our roots deep into the soil of life’s enduring values, that we may grow more surely toward the stars;

Yet also, wake us up, so our eyes may see the people around us and our arms may be open to embrace the suffering who cry.



From the Resistance Prays

"We were saved in hope. If we see what we hope for, that isn’t hope. Who hopes for what they already see? But if we hope for what we don’t see, we wait for it with patience." - Romans 8:24-25


God of hope in strange and unknown times, 
give us light hearts,
give us courage,
give us wisdom,
give us clear thinking, 
give us patience,
give us energy, 
give us understanding,
and give us hope,
as we navigate a confusing world.
Amen.


14    A Song of Penitence    Kyrie Pantokrator 
          Prayer of Manasseh 1-2, 4, 6-7, 11-15

Especially suitable in Lent, and on other penitential occasions

O Lord and Ruler of the hosts of heaven, * 
    God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, 
    and of all their righteous offspring: 
You made the heavens and the earth, * 
    with all their vast array.
All things quake with fear at your presence; * 
    they tremble because of your power. 
But your merciful promise is beyond all measure; * 
    it surpasses all that our minds can fathom. 
O Lord, you are full of compassion, * 
    long-suffering, and abounding in mercy. 
You hold back your hand; * 
    you do not punish as we deserve. 
In your great goodness, Lord, 
you have promised forgiveness to sinners, * 
    that they may repent of their sin and be saved. 
And now, O Lord, I bend the knee of my heart, * 
    and make my appeal, sure of your gracious goodness. 
I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, * 
    and I know my wickedness only too well. 
Therefore I make this prayer to you: * 
    Forgive me, Lord, forgive me. 
Do not let me perish in my sin, * 
    nor condemn me to the depths of the earth. 
For you, O Lord, are the God of those who repent, * 
    and in me you will show forth your goodness. 
Unworthy as I am, you will save me, 
in accordance with your great mercy, * 
    and I will praise you without ceasing all the days of my life. 
For all the powers of heaven sing your praises, * 
    and yours is the glory to ages of ages. Amen.



141 Domine, clamavi

1 O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly; *

hear my voice when I cry to you.


2 Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *

the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.


3 Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,

and guard the door of my lips; *

let not my heart incline to any evil thing.


4 Let me not be occupied in wickedness with evildoers, *

nor eat of their choice foods.


5 Let the righteous smite me in friendly rebuke;

let not the oil of the unrighteous anoint my head; *

for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds.


6 Let their rulers be overthrown in stony places, *

that they may know my words are true.


7 As when a plowman turns over the earth in furrows, *

let their bones be scattered at the mouth of the grave.


8 But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God; *

in you I take refuge;

do not strip me of my life.


9 Protect me from the snare which they have laid for me *

and from the traps of the evildoers.


10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets, *

while I myself escape.


The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.


143 Domine, exaudi


1 Lord, hear my prayer,

and in your faithfulness heed my supplications; *

answer me in your righteousness.


2 Enter not into judgment with your servant, *

for in your sight shall no one living be justified.


3 For my enemy has sought my life;

he has crushed me to the ground; *

he has made me live in dark places like those who

are long dead.


4 My spirit faints within me; *

my heart within me is desolate.


5 I remember the time past;

I muse upon all your deeds; *

I consider the works of your hands.


6 I spread out my hands to you; *

my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.


7 O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me; *

do not hide your face from me

or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.


8 Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,

for I put my trust in you; *

show me the road that I must walk,

for I lift up my soul to you.


9 Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord, *

for I flee to you for refuge.


10 Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God; *

let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.


11 Revive me, O Lord, for your Name's sake; *

for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.


(12 Of your goodness, destroy my enemies

and bring all my foes to naught, *

for truly I am your servant.)




Micah 3:9-4:5

9 Hear this, you rulers of the house of Jacob

and chiefs of the house of Israel,

who abhor justice

and pervert all equity,

10 who build Zion with blood

and Jerusalem with wrong!

11 Its rulers give judgement for a bribe,

its priests teach for a price,

its prophets give oracles for money;

yet they lean upon the Lord and say,

‘Surely the Lord is with us!

No harm shall come upon us.’

12 Therefore because of you

Zion shall be ploughed as a field;

Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins,

and the mountain of the house a wooded height.




Peace and Security through Obedience

4In days to come

the mountain of the Lord’s house

shall be established as the highest of the mountains,

and shall be raised up above the hills.

Peoples shall stream to it,

2 and many nations shall come and say:

‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,

to the house of the God of Jacob;

that he may teach us his ways

and that we may walk in his paths.’

For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,

and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

3 He shall judge between many peoples,

and shall arbitrate between strong nations far away;

they shall beat their swords into ploughshares,

and their spears into pruning-hooks;

nation shall not lift up sword against nation,

neither shall they learn war any more;

4 but they shall all sit under their own vines and under their own fig trees,

and no one shall make them afraid;

for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken.


5 For all the peoples walk,

each in the name of its god,

but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God

for ever and ever.

A Song of Ezekiel
Ezekiel 36:24-28
I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God.



Luke 8:1-15

Some Women Accompany Jesus

8Soon afterwards he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. The twelve were with him, 2as well as some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, 3and Joanna, the wife of Herod’s steward Chuza, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them* out of their resources.

The Parable of the Sower

4 When a great crowd gathered and people from town after town came to him, he said in a parable: 5‘A sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell on the path and was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. 6Some fell on the rock; and as it grew up, it withered for lack of moisture. 7Some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew with it and choked it. 8Some fell into good soil, and when it grew, it produced a hundredfold.’ As he said this, he called out, ‘Let anyone with ears to hear listen!’

The Purpose of the Parables

9 Then his disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, ‘To you it has been given to know the secrets* of the kingdom of God; but to others I speak* in parables, so that

“looking they may not perceive,

and listening they may not understand.”

The Parable of the Sower Explained

11 ‘Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12The ones on the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13The ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe only for a while and in a time of testing fall away. 14As for what fell among the thorns, these are the ones who hear; but as they go on their way, they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature. 15But as for that in the good soil, these are the ones who, when they hear the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patient endurance.

A Song of Christ’s Goodness
Anselm of Canterbury

Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.
Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.
You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.
Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.
Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.
Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.
Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.
In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.


The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

Or

Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever.    Amen.

O God our shield and armor of light, whom we adore with all the
angelic host: defend us from evil; watch over any who are in
danger this night and give your angels charge over them; and
grant that we may always rejoice in your heavenly protection
and serve you bravely in the world; through Jesus Christ our
Savior. Amen.


W.E.B. Du Bois: Prayer
In these first beginnings of the new life of the world, renew in us the resolution to persist in the good work we have begun. Give us strength of body and strength of mind and the unfaltering determination to carry out that which we know to be good and right. Forgive all wavering in the past service of Thy cause and make us strong to go for ward in spite of the doubts of our friends and our enemies and in spite of our own distrust in ourselves. Out of the death of winter comes ever and again the resurrection of spring: so out of evil bring good, O God, and out of doubt determination. Amen.

Holy Wisdom, in your loving kindness you created and restored
us when we were lost: inspire us with your truth, that we may
love you with our whole minds and run to you with open hearts,
through Christ our Savior. Amen.
(source: Alcuin of York, Mass of Wisdom)


Lord,
it is night.

The night is for stillness.
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day.
What has been done has been done;
what has not been done has not been done;
let it be.

The night is dark.
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives
rest in you.
The night is quiet.
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us,
all dear to us,
and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn.
Let us look expectantly to a new day,
new joys,
new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen.

Look upon the heart-felt desires of your humble servants, Almighty God, and stretch forth the right hand of your majesty to be our defense against all our enemies; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


FOR PEOPLE CRITICALLY ILL,
OR FACING GREAT UNCERTAINTY
God of the present moment,
God who in Jesus stills the storm
and soothes the frantic heart;
bring hope and courage to all of us
as we
wait  in uncertainty.
Bring hope that you will make us the equal
of whatever lies ahead.
Bring us  courage to endure what cannot be avoided,
for your will is health and wholeness;
you are God, and we need you

For Health of Body and Soul
May God the Father bless you, God the Son heal you, God the Holy
Spirit give you strength. May God the holy and undivided Trinity
guard your body, save your soul, and bring you safely to his heavenly country; where he lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.


For One Suffering from Mental Distress
Blessed Jesus, in the comfort of your love, we lay before you the
memories that haunt N., the anxieties that perplex her/him, the
despair that frightens her/him, and her/his frustration at her/his
inability to think clearly. Help her/him to discover your forgiveness
in her/his memories and know your peace in her/his distress.
Touch her/him, O Lord, and fill her/him with your light and your
hope. Amen.


For Survivors of Abuse and Violence
Holy One, you do not distance yourself from the pain of your
people, but in Jesus bear that pain with us and bless all who suffer
at others’ hands. Hallow our flesh and all creation; with your
cleansing love bring healing and strength to N.; and by your
justice, lift her/him up, that in the body you have given her/him,
she/he may again rejoice. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

In Times of Personal Distress
Lord Christ, you came into the world as one of us, and suffered
as we do. As we go through the trials of life, help us to realize
that you are with us at all times and in all things; that we have
no secrets from you; and that your loving grace enfolds us for
eternity. In the security of your embrace we pray. Amen.

For Those Who are Developmentally Disabled
Giver of all grace, we pray your peace, which passes all understanding, for those who are developmentally disabled. Grant that
they may always be sustained in love, their gifts honored, and
their difficulties understood, that none may add to their troubles.
We ask this in the name of the one who comforted those who
were troubled in mind, Jesus our Savior. Amen.

For All Who Suffer
O God, look with mercy on those who suffer, and heal their spirits,
that they may be delivered from sickness and fear. Restore hope
for the desolate, give rest to the weary, comfort the sorrowful, be
with the dying; and bring them, finally, to their true heavenly
home, for Jesus Christ’s sake. Amen



Diann Neu: Blessed Be Our Hands

Blessed be the work of our hands.

Blessed be these hands that touch life.

Blessed be these hands that nurture creativity.

Blessed be these hands that hold pain.

Blessed be these hands that embrace with passion.

Blessed be these hands that tend gardens.

Blessed bed these hands that close in anger.

Blessed be these hands that plant new seeds.

Blessed be these hands that harvest ripe fields.

Blessed be these hands that clean, wash, mop, scrub.

Blessed be these hands that become knotty with age.

Blessed be these hands that wrinkle and scar from doing justice.

Blessed are these hands that reach out and are received.

Blessed are these hands that hold the promise of the future.

Blessed be the works of our hands and hearts.


For the Human Family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.

 For the Poor and the Neglected

Almighty and most merciful God, we remember before you
all poor and neglected persons whom it would be easy for us
to forget: the homeless and the destitute, the old and the sick,
and all who have none to care for them. Help us to heal those
who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow
into joy. Grant this, Father, for the love of your Son, who for
our sake became poor, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

 For the Oppressed

Look with pity, O heavenly Father, upon the people in this
land who live with injustice, terror, disease, and death as
their constant companions. Have mercy upon us. Help us to
eliminate our cruelty to these our neighbors. Strengthen those
who spend their lives establishing equal protection of the law
and equal opportunities for all. And grant that every one of
us may enjoy a fair portion of the riches of this land; through
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

 For Prisons and Correctional Institutions

Lord Jesus, for our sake you were condemned as a criminal:
Visit our jails and prisons with your pity and judgment.
Remember all prisoners, and bring the guilty to repentance
and amendment of life according to your will, and give them
hope for their future. When any are held unjustly, bring them
release; forgive us, and teach us to improve our justice.
Remember those who work in these institutions; keep them
humane and compassionate; and save them from becoming
brutal or callous. And since what we do for those in prison,
O Lord, we do for you, constrain us to improve their lot. All
this we ask for your mercy's sake. Amen.

 For Those Who Live Alone

Almighty God, whose Son had nowhere to lay his head:
Grant that those who live alone may not be lonely in their
solitude, but that, following in his steps, they may find
fulfillment in loving you and their neighbors; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.

 For the Aged

Look with mercy, O God our Father, on all whose increasing
years bring them weakness, distress, or isolation. Provide for
them homes of dignity and peace; give them understanding
helpers, and the willingness to accept help; and, as their
strength diminishes, increase their faith and their assurance
of your love. This we ask in the name of Jesus Christ our
Lord. Amen.


For Quiet Confidence

O God of peace, who hast taught us that in returning and
rest we shall be saved, in quietness and confidence shall be
our strength: By the might of thy Spirit lift us, we pray thee,
to thy presence, where we may be still and know that thou
art God; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

 For Protection

Assist us mercifully, O Lord, in these our supplications and
prayers, and dispose the way of thy servants towards the
attainment of everlasting salvation; that, among all the
changes and chances of this mortal life, they may ever be
defended by thy gracious and ready help; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.

A Prayer of Self-Dedication

Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to thee, so
guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our
wills, that we may be wholly thine, utterly dedicated unto
thee; and then use us, we pray thee, as thou wilt, and always
to thy glory and the welfare of thy people; through our Lord
and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Tonight we set  our hearts on  Love! That is all !

Gracious God inflame our hearts with love  for all of our family members and even our enemies.

Gracious God inspire us to use love as the  healing balm that helps and doesn't hurt.

Gracious God help us to start loving ourselves and  stop taking ourselves and our family members for granted.

Gracious God give is strength to love even in the face of adversity.

Gracious God we pray that love will be the force to drive away all hate from all those who choose to bully, abuse, and hate. 

Gracious God send loving warmth and comfort to those who are grieving and pre- grieving.

Gracious God we pray that love and peace may prevail upon earth.

Gracious God  be our light out of darkness so that we may shine with your brightness.

Gracious God  set our hearts on Love! That is all!

In the name of God who is Love, Jesus who is our redeemer, and The Holy Spirit the Holy Comforter. Amen.

Gracious God set our hearts on Fire with Love! That is all!


Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind, in the waves, and in our hearts
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind,in  the waves.
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind.
Be still and hear the whisper of God.
Be still and hear the whisper.
Be still and hear.
Be still.
Be.

The Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

In your presence O God, we come together as one family of love. Give us courage to lay down the weaponry of hate and find common ground.

In your presence O God, take all the gunk in our lives that prevent us from truly serving you and the least of these.

In your presence O God, give us courage to discern where you are sending us and help us to respond accordingly with "Here I am send me"!

In your presence  O God, make us truly the Beloved Community intent upon serving you and our family members with CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) 

In your presence O God, help us to stand fast and ready to speak truth to power and seek out ways to be the change you want to see in the world.

In your presence O God, may we feel and know your love for us so that we may serve others. 

In your presence O God, we offer these our prayers________________________________

In your presence O God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of your only begotten Son Jesus. Amen.


We close our vigil with these prayers:

The Woke Prayers of St. Francis
Help us O God to be woke!
Woke as your peacemakers, change makers, heart changers, and love energy bringers!
Woke to the hatred so that we may sow seeds of love.
Woke to the injury so that we may heal the hurt and cease the harm.
Woke to the divisiveness that we may be eager to heal and unite as one neighborhood and family.
Woke to uncertainty that will lead us to be renewed in faith.
Woke to the despair of all our neighbors so that we may sow seeds of radical hope, love, hospitality, and inclusion.
Woke to the knowledge that we are God's beloved children. Help us to be woke enough to know that 
we are Marching in the Light of God as we sing the same song too!


Leader:We are marching in the light of God

Choir:We are marching in the light of God.

Leader:We are marching in the light of God,

Choir:We are marching in the light of God.
[in the light of God]

We are marching... ooh
[We are marching, marching, we are marching, marching,]

We are marching in the light of God.
[the light of God]

We are marching... ooh
[We are marching, marching, we are marching, marching,]

We are marching in the light of God.

(Alternative versions of the lyrics may alternate marching with different verbs such as walking, dancing, singing, living, or praying, holding up, or the word "God" for love in a less religious gathering.)


Zulu (original)[

Siyahamb' ekukhanyeni kwenkos, Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.

Siyahamb' ekukhanyeni kwenkos', Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.

[ekukhanyeni kwenkos']

Siyahamba... ooh

[Siyahamba, hamba, Siyahamba, hamba]

Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.

[ekukhanyeni kwenkos']

Siyahamba... ooh

[Siyahamba, hamba, Siyahamba, hamba]

Siyahamba ekukhanyeni kwenkos'.


Help us to be woke enough not to think of ourselves being the comforted, help us be the comforters and wounded healers.

Help not to be know it alls and be woke to understand what is plaguing our inner beings, neighbors, neighborhoods, the least of these, our family members.

God wake us up to be Woke to your agape love so that we may love everything that you have made. Wake us to be Woke to Radical Love, Hospitality, and inclusion.

Help us to know that being truly woke means being open to radical and random acts of kindness and giving. Where the giver is given and receives much by acts of giving.

Help us to be woke enough to forgive and then find ourselves being actually forgiven 
God Wake us Up to Be Woke to know that death isn't the end but only the beginning of a new birth in your heavenly Kindom. Amen and let it be so!

Respond to these petitions with: May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort be with us this night as we pray for peace in this world and that we may live into our baptismal covenant with you and each other.
 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God  of all comfort may we seek as one family with you to find solutions that will stem the tide of all violence and terror.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may we seek with you to find our true calling and life path.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort give us strength to speak out firmly and lovingly for those who haven't any voice.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort give us all a return to common sense. Take away from us all temptation to fall into a mob and hate mentality.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort we pray for all who are ill and in need of healing of their bodies, minds, and spirits.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may we be sources of comfort  one to another and listen to you with our heart homes for those who are in need of help and may not be able to name their needs.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort may we ever be mindful of our family members who are grieving losses and pre- grieving. 
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort we pray for all who have been senselessly murdered for who they are. Grant to them eternal rest.


 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may all of us who struggle to live authentically without fear be able to speak and live our truth valiantly and with courage.


 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!


God of all comfort we pray and give thanks for_________________________
We lift up these our prayers in the Holy name of Jesus!  Amen. 

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised; 
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see: 
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

The God of peace, who brought again from the dead our 
Lord Jesus Christ, the great Shepherd of the sheep, through 
the blood of the eternal covenant: Make you perfect in 
every good work to do his will, working in you that which is 
well-pleasing in his sight; through Jesus Christ, to whom be 
glory for ever and ever. Amen.


++++

Good Night Beloved Community!  I love you and am grateful to God for you all this day and always.


Peace, love, and God's blessings!

Sara

Resources
A to Z Quotes
The Resistance Prays.
Prayers of Power
Enriching Our Worship
Book of Common Prayer Online
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
In Lak 'Ech- Luis Valdez
Walk With Me On Our Journey
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Other Resources as Noted
Lectionary Page and Satucket Lectionary



No comments:

Post a Comment