Monday, December 7, 2020

A Monday Reflection : What does the #AdventWord #comfort mean to you during this season?

 


Good Evening Dear Ones! 

Welcome back to our #AdventWords! Tonight we will spend time meditating on the word #Comfort. Here are y/our journaling question: What makes you comfortable? ,Who or what is the Holy Comforter , and Why do you think that these following quotes are called "The Comfortable Words?:

1979 Book of Common Prayer

Hear the Word of God to all who truly turn to him.


Come unto me, all ye that travail and are heavy laden, and 

I will refresh you.    Matthew 11:28


God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son,

to the end that all that believe in him should not perish, but

have everlasting life.    John 3:16


This is a true saying, and worthy of all men to be received,

that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.

1 Timothy 1:15


If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus

Christ the righteous; and he is the perfect offering for our

sins, and not for ours only, but for the sins of the whole

world.    1 John 2:1-2

or 

From The 1928 Book of Common Prayer

   Hear what comfortable words our Saviour Christ saith unto all who truly turn to him.

COME unto me, all ye that travail and are heavy laden, and I will refresh you.  St. Matt. xi. 28.

    So God loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, to the end that all that believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  St. John iii. 16.

    Hear also what Saint Paul saith.

    This is a true saying, and worthy of all men to be received, That Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.  1 Tim. i. 15.

    Hear also what Saint John saith.

    If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the Propitiation for our sins.  1 St. John ii. 1, 2.

++++

Tonight's lessons are from the Daily Office along with the Collect for the Feast of St. Ambrose of Milan. We begin our time together with a prayer from St. Ambrose, following yesterday's lesson from the Prophet Isaiah. Our quotes are a combination of  both St. Ambrose and with the #AdventWord #Comfort. So let us begin!

Evening Prayer of St. Ambrose

O God, Creator of all things, and ruler of the heavens, 'tis thou that clothest day with beautiful light, and night with the boon of sleep. 'Tis sleep that restores our wearied limbs to the toil of work. Sleep gives repose to the mind when tired, and takes away the anxious-making grief. The day is spent, and night is come; and we offer thee our thanks and prayers, singing our hymn, that thou mayst help us, thy servants. May our inmost heart sing thy praise, and tuneful voices sound forth thy name; may our chaste affection love, and our sober mind adore thee. And when the night's deep gloom shall shut out the day, may our faith know nought of darkness, and the very night be day by faith. Let not our soul, but only sin feel sleep; let faith keep us chaste, and by its refreshing power, check the vapours of sleep. May our heart's deepest self, unshackled by the allurements of sense, dream of thee; nor let the fear of the enemy, whose envy is ever laying snares, disturb us when at rest. Let our prayer ascend to Christ and to the Father, and to the Spirit of Christ and of the Father: O Trinity, one in essence, and all-powerful, be merciful to us, who pray to thee. Amen

A bonus reading from Isaiah! (Think of Handel's Messiah!"

Isaiah 40:1-11

40 Comfort, O comfort my people,

   says your God.

2 Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,

   and cry to her

that she has served her term,

   that her penalty is paid,

that she has received from the Lord’s hand

   double for all her sins.



3 A voice cries out:

‘In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord,

   make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

4 Every valley shall be lifted up,

   and every mountain and hill be made low;

the uneven ground shall become level,

   and the rough places a plain.

5 Then the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,

   and all people shall see it together,

   for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.’



6 A voice says, ‘Cry out!’

   And I said, ‘What shall I cry?’

All people are grass,

   their constancy is like the flower of the field.

7 The grass withers, the flower fades,

   when the breath of the Lord blows upon it;

   surely the people are grass.

8 The grass withers, the flower fades;

   but the word of our God will stand for ever.

9 Get you up to a high mountain,

   O Zion, herald of good tidings;*

lift up your voice with strength,

   O Jerusalem, herald of good tidings,*

   lift it up, do not fear;

say to the cities of Judah,

   ‘Here is your God!’

10 See, the Lord God comes with might,

   and his arm rules for him;

his reward is with him,

   and his recompense before him.

11 He will feed his flock like a shepherd;

   he will gather the lambs in his arms,

and carry them in his bosom,

   and gently lead the mother sheep.


"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself." ~ Alan Alda

"Prayer is the wing wherewith the soul flies to heaven, and meditation the eye wherewith we see God." ~ Ambrose

"If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." ~ C. S. Lewis

"When we speak about wisdom, we are speaking about Christ. When we speak about virtue, we are speaking about Christ. When we speak about justice, we are speaking about Christ. When we speak about peace, we are speaking about Christ. When we speak about truth and life and redemption, we are speaking about Christ." ~ Ambrose

"Wherever you are you will always be in my heart." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"No one heals himself by wounding another." ~ Ambrose

"So people have been hurting, and I understand that, and it doesn't give them comfort or solace for me to tell them, you know, but for me we'd be in a worldwide depression." ~ Harry Reid

"As in paradise, God walks in the Holy Scriptures, seeking man." ~ Ambrose

"Now, God be praised, that to believing souls gives light in darkness, comfort in despair." ~ William Shakespeare

"It is not enough just to wish well;

we must also do well." ~ Ambrose

"Life is not a matter of place, things or comfort; rather, it concerns the basic human rights of family, country, justice and human dignity." ~ Imelda Marcos

"Law is twofold -- natural and written. The natural law is in the heart, the written law on tables. All men are under the natural law." ~ Ambrose

"Thy love is Singular when all thy delight is in Jesus Christ, and thou dost find joy and comfort in no other thing." ~ Richard Rolle


Tonight's Calendar Work: December 7 Have tea or a meal with a friend you haven’t seen in awhile, on Zoom.

Celtic Advent Calendar 2020! Yes it's here From Contemplative Cottage


Let us light a 23rd Candle to represent the 16th day of Celtic Advent and pray for unity among all people and that we may strive to be as one in heart, mind, and spirit. (You may turn on your porch light if that would be safer)




May the fire of God’s love burn brightly and steadfastly in our hearts like the golden light within the sanctuary lamp. - St. Columba

Let us light our candles and make vigil!

Andrew said, ‘Here are five barley loaves and two small fish, but what are they among so many?’


Our God and Savior now draws near: O come let us worship.

Watch at all times, praying for the strength to stand with confidence before the Son of man.Luke 21:36

Look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.Luke 21:28

In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.Isaiah 40:3

The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all the world shall see it together.Isaiah 40:5

Prepare the way of the Lord, make the paths straight, and all the world shall see the salvation of God.Luke 3:4, 6

Restore us again O God: show us the light of your face and we shall be saved.Psalm 80:3

Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the skies rain down
righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation may spring up,
and let it cause righteousness to sprout up also. Isaiah 45:8, NRSV

Andrew first found his brother Simon, and said to him, ‘We have found the Messiah,’ and he brought him to Jesus.John 1:41–42

Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, the lifting up of
my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Confession of Need


Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.


May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.



Now let us Light Our Candles and be at prayer.



The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!" 
I hold holy space for you during this time of prayer, vigil, and meditation.


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.

Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, the lifting up of
my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Gracious and loving God as we meet in community this evening to pray and light candles let us remember all of our family members who do not have community, family, where loving shoulders and soft places in which to fall are available. We pray for the lost, lonely, and afraid that they may be found and brought into the family of God and wrapped in a quilt of comfort. We pray for our family members who are refugees, asylum seekers, children in foster care, children who are seeking to be adopted and all who are waiting for their forever homes wherever that may be. We pray that we may practice radical hospitality and welcome all of our family members and especially the strangers who are in our midst. We pray that we may keep our eyes on all of our loved ones and pray that no one, not one will fall through the cracks. We pray that a community of CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) may spring up around the world and especially where there is hatred, violence, terror, and division. We pray that peace, justice, and mercy may prevail upon Earth, that we may be peacemakers and called the Children of God. Amen.




Hymn
God that madest earth and heaven, 
Darkness and light; 
Who the day for toil hast given, 
For rest the night; 
May thine angel guards defend us, 
Slumber sweet thy mercy send us,
Holy dreams and hopes attend us, 
This livelong night.
Guard us waking, guard us sleeping,
And, when we die, 
May we in thy mighty keeping 
All peaceful lie: 
When the last dread call shall wake us, 
Do not thou our God forsake us, 
But to reign in glory take us 
With thee on high.

An Irish Prayer


As I arise today,
may the strength of God pilot me,
the power of God uphold me,
the wisdom of God guide me.
May the eye of God look before me,
the ear of God hear me,
the word of God speak for me.
May the hand of God protect me,
the way of God lie before me,
the shield of God defend me,
the host of God save me.
May Christ shield me today.
Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit,
Christ when I stand,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
Amen




A Smudging Prayer


 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.

From the Resistance Prays

God of glory, you nourish us with spiritual food. Fill us with your Holy Spirit, that through us your light may shine into all the world.

Because the world is poor and starving, go forth with bread.
Because the world is filled with fear, go out with courage.
Because the world is in despair, provide hope.
Because the world is living lies, speak the truth.
Because the world is sick with sorrow, go out with joy.
Because the world is weary of wars, bring peace.
Because the world is seldom fair, go do the work of justice.
Because the world is under judgment, go with mercy.
Because the world will die without it, always go with love.

- adapted from a prayer by Rev. Mark Jennings

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez


“Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. Nothing accursed will be found there any more. But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him; they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And there will be no more night; they need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.” - Revelation 22: 1-5

From the Resistance Prays!


"Consider the life of trees.

Aside from the axe, what trees acquire from man [humans] is inconsiderable. 

What man [humans] may acquire from trees is immeasurable.

From their mute forms there flows a poise, in silence;

a lovely sound and motion in response to wind.

What peace comes to those aware of the voice and bearing of 

    trees!

Trees do not scream for attention.

A tree, a rock, has to pretense, only a real growth out of itself,

in close communion with the universal spirit.

A tree retains a deep serenity.

It establishes in the earth not only its root system but also

those roots of its beauty and its unknown consciousness. 

Sometimes one may sense a glisten of that consciousness, and with

such perspective, feel that man [humans] is not necessarily the highest

form of life."

- poem by Cedric Wright [brackets added by Rev. Shannan Vance-Ocampo]



Psalm 25 Ad te, Domine, levavi

1 To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
my God, I put my trust in you; *
let me not be humiliated,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.

2 Let none who look to you be put to shame; *
let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.

3 Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.

4 Lead me in your truth and teach me, *
for you are the God of my salvation;
in you have I trusted all the day long.

5 Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love, *
for they are from everlasting.

6 Remember not the sins of my youth and my transgressions; *
remember me according to your love
and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.

7 Gracious and upright is the Lord; *
therefore he teaches sinners in his way.

8 He guides the humble in doing right *
and teaches his way to the lowly.

9 All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness *
to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.

10 For your Name's sake, O Lord, *
forgive my sin, for it is great.

11 Who are they who fear the Lord? *
he will teach them the way that they should choose.

12 They shall dwell in prosperity, *
and their offspring shall inherit the land.

13 The Lord is a friend to those who fear him *
and will show them his covenant.

14 My eyes are ever looking to the Lord, *
for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
 

15 Turn to me and have pity on me, *
for I am left alone and in misery.

16 The sorrows of my heart have increased; *
bring me out of my troubles.

17 Look upon my adversity and misery *
and forgive me all my sin.

18 Look upon my enemies, for they are many, *
and they bear a violent hatred against me.

19 Protect my life and deliver me; *
let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.

20 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, *
for my hope has been in you.

21 Deliver Israel, O God, *
out of all his troubles.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,

Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,

The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever



Isaiah 5:8-12,18-23
Social Injustice Denounced


8 Ah, you who join house to house,
   who add field to field,
until there is room for no one but you,
   and you are left to live alone
   in the midst of the land!
9 The Lord of hosts has sworn in my hearing:
Surely many houses shall be desolate,
   large and beautiful houses, without inhabitant.
10 For ten acres of vineyard shall yield but one bath,
   and a homer of seed shall yield a mere ephah.*


11 Ah, you who rise early in the morning
   in pursuit of strong drink,
who linger in the evening
   to be inflamed by wine,
12 whose feasts consist of lyre and harp,
   tambourine and flute and wine,
but who do not regard the deeds of the Lord,
   or see the work of his hands!
18 Ah, you who drag iniquity along with cords of falsehood,
   who drag sin along as with cart-ropes,
19 who say, ‘Let him make haste,
   let him speed his work
   that we may see it;
let the plan of the Holy One of Israel hasten to fulfilment,
   that we may know it!’
20 Ah, you who call evil good
   and good evil,
who put darkness for light
   and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet
   and sweet for bitter!
21 Ah, you who are wise in your own eyes,
   and shrewd in your own sight!
22 Ah, you who are heroes in drinking wine
   and valiant at mixing drink,
23 who acquit the guilty for a bribe,
   and deprive the innocent of their rights!


Isaiah 35:1-10
The Return of the Redeemed to Zion


35The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad,
   the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
like the crocus 2it shall blossom abundantly,
   and rejoice with joy and singing.
The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it,
   the majesty of Carmel and Sharon.
They shall see the glory of the Lord,
   the majesty of our God.


3 Strengthen the weak hands,
   and make firm the feeble knees.
4 Say to those who are of a fearful heart,
   ‘Be strong, do not fear!
Here is your God.
   He will come with vengeance,
with terrible recompense.
   He will come and save you.’


5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened,
   and the ears of the deaf unstopped;
6 then the lame shall leap like a deer,
   and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
   and streams in the desert;
7 the burning sand shall become a pool,
   and the thirsty ground springs of water;
the haunt of jackals shall become a swamp,*
   the grass shall become reeds and rushes.


8 A highway shall be there,
   and it shall be called the Holy Way;
the unclean shall not travel on it,*
   but it shall be for God’s people;*
   no traveller, not even fools, shall go astray.
9 No lion shall be there,
   nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it;
they shall not be found there,
   but the redeemed shall walk there.
10 And the ransomed of the Lord shall return,
   and come to Zion with singing;
everlasting joy shall be upon their heads;
   they shall obtain joy and gladness,
   and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

A Song of Wisdom Sapientia liberavit
Wisdom 10:15-19,20b-21

Wisdom freed from a nation of oppressors *
a holy people and a blameless race.

She entered the soul of a servant of the Lord, *
withstood dread rulers with wonders and signs.

To the saints she gave the reward of their labors, *
and led them by a marvelous way;

She was their shelter by day *
and a blaze of stars by night.

She brought them across the Red Sea, *
she led them through mighty waters;

But their enemies she swallowed in the waves *
and spewed them out from the depths of the abyss.

And then, Lord, the righteous sang hymns to your Name, *
and praised with one voice your protecting hand;

For Wisdom opened the mouths of the mute, *
and gave speech to the tongues of a new-born people.


1 Thessalonians 5:1-11

5Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers and sisters,* you do not need to have anything written to you. 2For you yourselves know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3When they say, ‘There is peace and security’, then sudden destruction will come upon them, as labour pains come upon a pregnant woman, and there will be no escape! 4But you, beloved,* are not in darkness, for that day to surprise you like a thief; 5for you are all children of light and children of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness. 6So then, let us not fall asleep as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober; 7for those who sleep sleep at night, and those who are drunk get drunk at night. 8But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. 9For God has destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live with him. 11Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.

A Song of Christ’s Goodness

Anselm of Canterbury

Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.

Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.

You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.

Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.

Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.

Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.

Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.

In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.

Luke 21:20-28

The Destruction of Jerusalem Foretold

20 ‘When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation has come near.* 21Then those in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those inside the city must leave it, and those out in the country must not enter it; 22for these are days of vengeance, as a fulfilment of all that is written. 23Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great distress on the earth and wrath against this people; 24they will fall by the edge of the sword and be taken away as captives among all nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

The Coming of the Son of Man

25 ‘There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on the earth distress among nations confused by the roaring of the sea and the waves. 26People will faint from fear and foreboding of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27Then they will see “the Son of Man coming in a cloud” with power and great glory. 28Now when these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.’



We Praise You, O God Te Deum laudamus

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.

To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.

The glorious company of apostles praise you.

The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.

The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.

Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:

Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all worship,
and the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.

You, Christ, are the king of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.

When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin’s womb.

You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.

You are seated at God’s right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come to be our judge.

Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
Or
Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.

Hymn

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing



O God, who gave your servant Ambrose grace eloquently to proclaim your righteousness in the great congregation and fearlessly to bear reproach for the honor of your Name: Mercifully grant to all bishops and pastors such excellence in preaching and faithfulness in ministering your Word, that your people may be partakers with them of the glory that shall be revealed; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

 From A New Zealand Prayer Book-

Lord, 
it is night.

The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.

The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen.


For the Human Family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Christ Has No Body.

by Teresa of Avila.

Christ has no body but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours, Yours are the eyes with which he looks. Compassion on this world, Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good, Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.



The Beatitudes

When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32


Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 


Advent Blessing
May Almighty God, by whose providence our Savior Christ
came among us in great humility, sanctify you with the light
of his blessing and set you free from all sin. Amen.

May he whose second Coming in power and great glory we
await, make you steadfast in faith, joyful in hope, and
constant in love. Amen.

May you, who rejoice in the first Advent of our Redeemer, at
his second Advent be rewarded with unending life. Amen.


And the blessing of God Almighty, the Father, the Son, and
the Holy Spirit, be upon you and remain with you for ever.
Amen.


May the Sun of Righteousness shine upon you and scatter
the darkness from before your path; and the blessing of God
Almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, be among
you, and remain with you always. Amen

Blessing, light, and glory surround us 
and scatter the darkness of the long and lonely night.


Here is our  Prayer Cycle for Throughout the remainder of  Advent! I love you all!

Help us to wait patiently again on you God and the plans you are setting before us.
Come thou long expected Jesus

Help us to give all our worries, anxieties, and all our live's baggage to you God, so that we may be free to worship you without fear but with a clean heart and on fire to serve you.
Come thou long expected Jesus

Help us to see are homeless, hungry, lonely, outcast and the least of these this season as we see Jesus,Joseph, and the Blessed Virgin Mary every year in the manger. When ever we see some one living out doors help us to remember and pray for them.
Come thou Long Expected Jesus

God our protector, watch over those who are traveling and are on any kind of journey, keep them safe where ever they may be.
Make ours and their pathways straight as we journey on towards you and throughout this season and always.

We pray for ______________________________________
Give them comfort Lord.

We give thanks this day______________________________
Shine in our hearts with gladness.

We remember all those who reside in the Thin Places______________________

We pray especially for women, children, and all those who are vulnerable.
Comfort ye my people.

We pray for the aging, sick, and those in any health care facility. We also pray for medical professionals and caregivers.
Comfort ye my people

We pray for our family members near and far. Help us to love them more and more.
Shine in our hearts with overflowing streams of living water and love.

All this we ask in the name of God the Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier. Amen.

Comfort, Comfort ye my People



Good Night Dear Ones a special closing office before we rest!
As we close our  time together let us have a period of quiet and wind down to open the doors of sanctuary. 

Let us remember the words of Thomas Merton: "We must slow down to a human tempo and we’ll begin to have time to listen."

Tonight let us now enter our sanctuaries in our heart homes for a time of quiet and holy listening. Practice your breathing and mindfulness exercises with these adapted forms of  the "Be Stills".

Let us start with a variation on this:

Be Still and Know That I am God.
Be Still and know 
Be Still
Be

Inhale God's Love for you
Exhale Your Love for God, each other ,our family members , and yourself.

Listen with Love in your heart.

Be still and listen to God
Be still and listen
Be still
Be

Inhale God's Love for you
Exhale Your Love for God, each other ,our family members and yourself.

Listen with Joy in your Soul

Be still and listen to God.
Be still and listen 

Be still
Be

Listen for hope in the world.

Inhale God's Love for you
Exhale Your Love for God, each other , our family members and yourself.

Be still and listen to God
Be sill and listen
Be still
Be

Inhale God's Love for you
Exhale Your Love for God, each other, our family members,and yourself.

Listen and pray for peace.

Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know
Be still
Be

Listen for God
Listen to God's voice
Listen to God's message
Listen to the sufferings of  God's Fragile and Broken World.


Prayers in the stillness. If you so desire you may do a virtual labyrinth to add to your meditation.





*Those may be replaced with names, or by using Family Members.

Quiet our minds O God so that we can listen and hear your voice and what you are calling us to do and to be.
Help us to be still and listen to that quiet place in our heart and spirit. Help us to unwind our minds O God.

Quiet our bodies that we may turn our bodies from human doings to human beings.
Take the keys away  that drive our bodies to do and not be.

Help us to feel our spirits and the indwelling of  You and the Holy Spirit in this time of being quiet and still.
May our spirits be enlivened even in the quietness.

Lord we pray for all who are traveling may they take time to rest and be alert.

Lord help us to lay down our burdens each day at your feet so that we may find rest and spend time with You.

Give us the peace of mind that we are always seeking.

While we spend time with you Lord please take care of all of our loved ones and those whom we have been praying for. If we should fall asleep and rest be with them as we rest in the quietness.


In the stillness  O Lord may we drink of the Living Water of Life and be refreshed and feel it coursing through our  veins and give us the energy to do your will to your glory and in service to others.

In the stillness we remember and pray for all those who have requested our prayers for themselves and on behalf of others________________________________.

In the stillness we give thanks for the gifts of quiet, contemplation, rest, and times for our bodies, minds, and spirits to be renewed.  We give thanks for__________________________

In the stillness we celebrate those times of joy and those who have made a difference in our lives remembering_____________________

In the stillness we remember those who have entered in to life eternal especially________________
And we remember those continue to grieve.

We pray for those awaiting surgery tomorrow. Calm their fears and anxieties Lord.

We pray for those who are being beset by bad weather O Lord. Ease these weather patterns Lord.

We pray for those who live in earthquake prone areas. Quiet their minds and give them  the peace and knowledge that You O God are there.

Lord God watch over this your troubled and divided world. Set us on fire to help heal and unite it with our prayers, love, service, and actions. Give us grace, courage and love energy to do this in Your Name. Amen.

++++
Beloved ones!  I love you. Have a blessed rest in God's loving arms!

Peace, hope, joy, and Love!
Sara

Resources
If you would like to meditate and study the lessons for the Feast of St. Ambrose of Milan, Click the word St. Ambrose of Milan
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
Quote sites for prayers
Northumbria Community
Metis Aboriginal Ministries- Smudging prayer
A to Z quotes
In Lak'Ech- Luis Valdez
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Helpful Blogs for the season:

The below is from the Northumbria Community

Celtic Advent: November 16th

This was the traditional beginning of monastic fasting and preparation for the feast of Christmas, reflecting Lent in lasting for forty days. We seek to prepare the way for the Lord to come right to the centre of our lives. Every valley and pot-hole should be filled in, every mountain and hill levelled and every obstacle removed. The mountains are the wrongs we do, and the pot-holes are the good things we fail to do.
It is said that the door to the stable where the Christ-child has been born is very low – and only those who kneel find access. Being ready for Christmas should mean that our thoughts are focused not just on letters, cards, food and drink, and presents, but on repentance, humility and interior ‘house-cleaning’. The more we prepare in this way, the less we will be overwhelmed by the commercialisation of Christmas.
Prepare a way for the Lord!

Show me, Lord Jesus, how I may best prepare to celebrate Your birth into this world. Show me those things I need to repent of, that I may find Your forgiveness. Show me how to avoid the greed and selfishness of this season and focus on what is truly essential. Amen.


This week’s Rule reflection 
HOSPITALITY is an important aspect of monastic spirituality for ‘to love the invisible God one must love the visible neighbour’

Diuma (?-658) December 7th
Diuma, Cedd, Betti and Adda were sent together as missionary priests to Mercia by Finan of Lindisfarnene. They established churches on the way as well as in Mercia, including at Wirksworth in the Derbyshire Dales, where they are still commemorated annually.  Diuma became the first bishop of the Middle Angles and the Mercians.

Teach me to go where You send me, O Lord, and give me the courage and wisdom to do Your work in every place where I find myself. So may I be an instrument in Your hand to spread love, joy and peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment