Friday, February 5, 2021

Follow Friday: Walking the pilgrim way with James ,Frederick, and the Martyrs of Japan

 



Good Evening Beloved Ones!

Tonight we enter our first weekend retreat of February. We walk tonight with  Dr. James H. Cone, Frederick Douglass, and the Martyrs of Japan. For more information Google these people and let their stories wash over you. Journal questions for this night are the following: How do you feel after reading their stories? Did you know about them? What do the Martyrs of Japan and James H. Cone have in common? This Lent I would suggest that we begin reading Dr. James H. Cone's book The Cross and the Lynching Tree. 

Let us read, pause, reflect, and pray upon these quotes.

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick Douglass

"One can lynch a person without a rope or tree." ~ James H. Cone

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass

"To sing about freedom and to pray for its coming is not enough. Freedom must be actualized in history by oppressed peoples who accept the intellectual challenge to analyze the world for the purpose of changing it." ~ James H. Cone

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." ~ Frederick Douglass

"If we save the planet and have a society of inequality, we wouldn't have saved much." ~ James H. Cone

"I will unite with anyone to do good, but with no one to do harm." ~ Frederick Douglass

"Any theology that is indifferent to the theme of liberation is not Christian theology." ~ James H. Cone

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." ~ Frederick Douglass

"Indeed our survival and liberation depend upon our recognition of the truth when it is spoken and lived by the people. If we cannot recognize the truth, then it cannot liberate us from untruth. To know the truth is to appropriate it, for it is not mainly reflection and theory. Truth is divine action entering our lives and creating the human action of liberation." ~ James H. Cone

"The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion." ~ Frederick Douglass

"The truth about injustice always sounds outrageous." ~ James H. Cone

"The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous." ~ Frederick Douglass

"In the act of worship itself, the experience of liberation becomes a constituent of the community's being . . . It is the power of God's Spirit invading the lives of the people, "building them up where they are torn down and propping them up on every leaning side"." ~ James H. Cone

"Praying for freedom never did me any good til I started praying with my feet." ~ Frederick Douglass

++++++


Come let us worship.

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

From the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts.Malachi 1:11

It is the God who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.2 Corinthians 4:6

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.2 Timothy 1:7

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and those who are afraid are not perfected in love. We love because God first loved us. If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother or sister, that person is a liar; for those who do not love their brothers and sisters whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen.1 John 4:18–20

You Lord are in the midst of us, and we are called by your name. Leave us not.Jeremiah 14:9

Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith.Hebrews 12:1, 2

The righteous will be remembered for ever: the memory of the righteous is a blessing.Psalm 112:6; Proverbs 10:7

Those who want to save their life will lose it; but those who lose their life for the sake of Christ and the gospel will save it.Mark 8:35

Blessed are those who have suffered for the cause of right, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs.Matthew 5:10

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,

Mirror of God’s eternal face,

Transparent flame of love’s free duty,

You bring salvation to our race.

Now, as we see the lights of evening,

We raise our voice in hymns of praise;

Worthy are you of endless blessing,

Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES + Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.



For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:


We light this candle of consecration.



May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.


Dear ones let us light our candles and be at prayer as we begin our Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil. Tonight let us pray for peace with in ourselves and in the world. Let us pray that we may learn to love our enemies again by boldly doing things we normally wouldn't do. We need to see God's face in all of our enemies. We need to see them as children of God. We need to see them as children of family members who love them very much. We need to see them as the least of these. We need to love ourselves and yes sometimes we may be our own worst enemies. We should be able to find ways to lovingly help them when needed. This is easier said than done but maybe if we know what they need in the ways of  food, clothing, shelter, and a pair of listening ears that might be a way in which to start. We pray for all of our family members tonight as we remember that we indeed are all God's Children and the least of these!

IN LAK’ECH
Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself. 
Luis Valdez
Image result for in lak'ech
A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.



Image result for metis aboriginal ministries, smudging prayer

Howard Thurman: Prayers

I LAY BARE BEFORE YOU

The concern which I lay bare before You today is:

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me—I would seek the root or cause of such disaffection, and with the illumination of Your mind, O God, to understand it.

I give myself to Your scrutiny that, whatever there may be in me that is responsible for what has happened, I will acknowledge.

Where I have wronged or given offense deliberately or without intention, I seek a face-to-face forgiveness.

What I can undo I am willing to try; what I cannot undo, with that I seek to make my peace.

How to do these things, what techniques to use, with what spirit—for these I need and seek Your wisdom and strength, O God.

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me, I lay bare before You.

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.

W.E.B. Du Bois: Prayer

In these first beginnings of the new life of the world, renew in us the resolution to persist in the good work we have begun. Give us strength of body and strength of mind and the unfaltering determination to carry out that which we know to be good and right. Forgive all wavering in the past service of Thy cause and make us strong to go for ward in spite of the doubts of our friends and our enemies and in spite of our own distrust in ourselves. Out of the death of winter comes ever and again the resurrection of spring: so out of evil bring good, O God, and out of doubt determination. Amen.


Psalm 116:1-8

116 Dilexi, quoniam

1 I love the Lord, because he has heard the voice of
my supplication, *
because he has inclined his ear to me whenever
I called upon him.

2 The cords of death entangled me;
the grip of the grave took hold of me; *
I came to grief and sorrow.

3 Then I called upon the Name of the Lord: *
"O Lord, I pray you, save my life."

4 Gracious is the Lord and righteous; *
our God is full of compassion.

5 The Lord watches over the innocent; *
I was brought very low, and he helped me.

6 Turn again to your rest, O my soul. *
for the Lord has treated you well.

7 For you have rescued my life from death, *
my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling.

8 I will walk in the presence of the Lord *
in the land of the living.


Galatians 2:19-3:6

19For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; 20and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,* who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification* comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

Law or Faith

3You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly exhibited as crucified! 2The only thing I want to learn from you is this: Did you receive the Spirit by doing the works of the law or by believing what you heard? 3Are you so foolish? Having started with the Spirit, are you now ending with the flesh? 4Did you experience so much for nothing?—if it really was for nothing. 5Well then, does God* supply you with the Spirit and work miracles among you by your doing the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?

6 Just as Abraham ‘believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness’,

A Song of Ezekiel

Ezekiel 36:24-28

I will take you from among all nations; *

and gather you from all lands to bring you home.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *

and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.

A new heart I will give you *

and a new spirit put within you.

I will take the stone heart from your chest *

and give you a heart of flesh.

I will help you walk in my laws *

and cherish my commandments and do them.

You shall be my people, *

and I will be your God.

Mark 8:34-38

34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel,* will save it. 36For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38Those who are ashamed of me and of my words* in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.’

A Song of Lamentation

Lamentations 1:12,16; 3:19,22-24,26

Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by? *

Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow,

Which was brought upon me, *

inflicted by God’s fierce anger.

For these things I weep; my eyes flow with tears, *

for a comforter is far from me, one to revive my courage.

Remember my affliction and my bitterness, *

wormwood and gall!

The steadfast love of God never ceases, *

God’s mercies never end.

They are new every morning; *

great is your faithfulness.

“God is my portion,” says my soul, *

“therefore will I hope in God.”

It is good that we should wait quietly *

for the coming of God’s salvation.

Today's Good Book Club Reading!

Mark 13:14-27

The Desolating Sacrilege

‘But when you see the desolating sacrilege set up where it ought not to be (let the reader understand), then those in Judea must flee to the mountains; someone on the housetop must not go down or enter the house to take anything away; someone in the field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that it may not be in winter. For in those days there will be suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God created until now, no, and never will be. And if the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would be saved; but for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he has cut short those days. And if anyone says to you at that time, “Look! Here is the Messiah!” or “Look! There he is!”—do not believe it. False messiahs and false prophets will appear and produce signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, the elect. But be alert; I have already told you everything.

The Coming of the Son of Man

‘But in those days, after that suffering,

the sun will be darkened,

   and the moon will not give its light,

and the stars will be falling from heaven,

   and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.

Then they will see “the Son of Man coming in clouds” with great power and glory. Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.

A Song of Christ’s Goodness

Anselm of Canterbury

Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *

you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.

Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *

tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.

You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *

in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.

Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *

by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.

Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *

through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.

Your warmth gives life to the dead, *

your touch makes sinners righteous.

Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *

in your love and tenderness, remake us.

In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *

for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

Or

Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever.    Amen.

Today's Black History  Month Person of Note:

Almighty God, we bless your Name for the witness of Frederick Douglass, whose impassioned and reasonable speech moved the hearts of people to a deeper obedience to Christ: Strengthen us also to speak on behalf of those in captivity and tribulation, continuing in the Word of Jesus Christ our Liberator; who with you and the Holy Spirit dwells in glory everlasting. Amen.

Collect for the Feast of the Martyrs of Japan

  O God our Father, who brought the holy martyrs of Japan through the suffering of the cross to the joys of eternal life : Grant that we, encouraged by their example, may hold fast to the faith we profess, even to death itself; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Of the Holy Cross

 Almighty God, whose beloved Son willingly endured the agony and shame of the cross for our redemption: Give us courage to take up our cross and follow him; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

On the Anniversary of a Disaster

 God of steadfast love, who led your people through the wilderness: Be with us as we remember [and grieve]. By your grace, lead us in the path of new life, in the company of your saints and angels; through Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the world. Amen.

Reconciliation and Forgiveness

God of compassion, you have reconciled us in Jesus Christ who is our peace: Enable us to live as Jesus lived, breaking down walls of hostility and healing enmity. Give us grace to make peace with those from whom we are divided, that, forgiven and forgiving, we may ever be one in Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit reigns for ever, one holy and undivided Trinity. Amen.

 Prayers  for The forgotten ones-Let us remember and never forget

Dear God we pray this night for all of our family members in this world who have disappeared by unjust governments. We remember all those in Argentina and all other countries where this has occur.

Lord God we pray for all  of our Family Members who have been kidnapped by human traffickers that they may be found and returned to their family members safe and sound

Lord God watch over all our family members who have run away and who haven't been in contact with their loved ones. We pray for our family members safety and comfort and consolation for their family and friends who miss and love them very much.

Lord We pray for all missing and exploited children that they may be found alive and if that isn't possible please let them be found so that their families may have resolution to these heart breaking mysteries.

Lord God we pray for all murdered family members who are in cold case files. We pray for an earnest review of these cases that there may be resolution and the criminals brought to justice.

Lord God we pray for prison and mental health reform.

We pray that all missing family members may be afforded Amber Alert Status and that the media will keep our hearts and minds focused on these dear ones.

We pray for all of us  who have been victimized by predators, assailants,  by those known and unknown to us.

We pray for safe cities, towns, roads, sidewalks, neighborhoods and all other areas where we plant our foot steps or drive to that we may be alert to danger and get the help we need.

We pray especially for all communities touched by violence remembering_____________________

We pray for the victims/ survivors of violence of any kind. remembering______________________

We pray for all countries that have been destroyed by unjust leaders remembering_______________

We pray for our elderly, disabled, memory challenged, and those with mental illness that they may be kept safe from harm.

We continue to pray for all of our family members who are beset by the extreme and cold weather. We pray for warmer temperatures that will thaw without flooding.

We remember all of our family members who have had surgery or are awaiting surgery. Remember all those who are ill and on our hearts today.

We pray for all who continue to travel in cold weather and those who will be traveling to celebrate the lives of loved ones who have entered into joy

We pray for the homeless, the lonely, the lost, the misunderstood, and our family members who feel like they are outcast and don't fit in. We remember especially Buena Vista Vince and Kimberly.

Lord God we pray and remember Kristen Smart and her family who would like resolution to Kristen's disappearance.

Lord we pray for______________________________

Lord we give thanks for__________________________

Lord we celebrate________________________________

Lord we remember especially those in the Thin Places remembering_________________ and our family members who continue to grieve and remember them.

All these prayers we send heavenward to you  O Lord knowing that you are already remembering our family members and sending people to comfort and console your children. All this we ask in the name of God the Creator, Redeemer, and Holy Comforter. Amen.

Lord God Enliven our Spirits, Quicken our Steps, Enlarge and tenderize our hearts so that we may feel  Your Living Water of Life coursing through our veins to do your will and in answer you call to love and serve all of your family O God,  in all that we do or say this day and always. Amen.

From the New Zealand Prayer Book
Song of Simeon
Nunc Dimittis

Preserve us, O God, while waking, 
and guard us while sleeping, 
that awake we may watch with Christ, 
and asleep may rest in your peace.

Praise be to God, I have lived to see this day.
God’s promise is fulfilled, and my duty done.
At last you have given me peace,
for I have seen with my own eyes 
the salvation you have prepared for all nations - 
a light to the world in its darkness, 
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory be God, sustaining, redeeming, sanctifying, 
as in the beginning, so now, and for ever. 
Amen.

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

To God the Creator, 
who loved us first and gave this world to be our home,
to God the Redeemer,
who loves us and by dying and rising 
pioneered the way of freedom, 
to God the Sanctifier, 
who spreads the divine love in our hearts, 
be praise and glory for time and for eternity.

The Wisdom of God the Love of God
and the Grace of God strengthen you to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen. (source: Celtic) 

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21 

+++++

Good Night Dear Ones! Have a blessed and restful night. I love you and give God thanks for you always. 

Blessings and peace,

Sara

Resources:
A to Z Quotes
Book of Occasional Services 

Northumbria Community

Enjoy perusing this site. 

Satucket Lectionary Page (NRSV) 
Today's Saint of the Day :  Martyrs of Japan
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment