Sunday, September 25, 2022

Today's Gospel Study on The Parable of the Rich Man and Poor Man Lazarus- Journaling our Journey Returns

 





Good Evening Beloved Ones!

In today's gospel lesson we meet  Rich Man Dives  and Poor Man Lazarus! If you were in choirs in school or church you might have sung Poor Man Lazarus by Jester Hairston.  Here are the lyrics!

1 Poor man Lazarus, sick and disabled,

dip your finger in the water;

come and cool my tongue,

'cause I'm tormented in the flame!

He had to eat crumbs from the rich man's table

dip your finger in the water;

come and cool my tongue,

'cause I'm tormented in the flame!

Refrain:

I'm tormented in the flame!

I'm tormented in the flame!

Dip your finger in the water;

come and cool my tongue,

'cause I'm tormented in the flame!

2 Rich man Divies, he lived so well.

Dip your finger in the water;

come and cool my tongue,

'cause I'm tormented in the flame!

And when he died, he went straight to hell.

Dip your finger in the water;

come and cool my tongue,

'cause I'm tormented in the flame! [Refrain]

3 I love to shout, I love to sing.

Dip your finger in the water;

come and cool my tongue,

'cause I'm tormented in the flame!

I love to praise my heavenly King.

Dip your finger in the water;

come and cool my tongue,

'cause I'm tormented in the flame! [Refrain]

++

Lazarus means God has helped. 

Today we ponder today's Gospel Reading  using the "A Disciples Prayer Book"  format:

Reflect and Respond to the Gospel of the Day

1. What word(s), idea(s), or sentence(s) stand out for

you in the Gospel of the Day?

(Reread the Gospel.)

2. What is Jesus (the Gospel) saying to you?

(Reread the Gospel.)

3. What is Jesus (the Gospel) calling you to do?

Remember journaling our Journey? That is what we are going to take time to do today. Ask these questions- Why Lazarus? Who are you in this reading? Also use the questions from above as your inner being reflection. Get out a new journal to start anew. This is this week's homework. 

Luke 16:19-31 NRSV

Jesus said, "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who longed to satisfy his hunger with what fell from the rich man's table; even the dogs would come and lick his sores. The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was being tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham far away with Lazarus by his side. He called out, `Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in agony in these flames.' But Abraham said, `Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in agony. Besides all this, between you and us a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot do so, and no one can cross from there to us.' He said, `Then, father, I beg you to send him to my father's house-- for I have five brothers-- that he may warn them, so that they will not also come into this place of torment.' Abraham replied, `They have Moses and the prophets; they should listen to them.' He said, `No, father Abraham; but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' He said to him, `If they do not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'"


1. What word(s), idea(s), or sentence(s) stand out for

you in the Gospel of the Day?

(Reread the Gospel.)

Luke 16:19-31

The Message

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19-21 “There once was a rich man, expensively dressed in the latest fashions, wasting his days in conspicuous consumption. A poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, had been dumped on his doorstep. All he lived for was to get a meal from scraps off the rich man’s table. His best friends were the dogs who came and licked his sores.

22-24 “Then he died, this poor man, and was taken up by the angels to the lap of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell and in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham in the distance and Lazarus in his lap. He called out, ‘Father Abraham, mercy! Have mercy! Send Lazarus to dip his finger in water to cool my tongue. I’m in agony in this fire.’

25-26 “But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that in your lifetime you got the good things and Lazarus the bad things. It’s not like that here. Here he’s consoled and you’re tormented. Besides, in all these matters there is a huge chasm set between us so that no one can go from us to you even if he wanted to, nor can anyone cross over from you to us.’

27-28 “The rich man said, ‘Then let me ask you, Father: Send him to the house of my father where I have five brothers, so he can tell them the score and warn them so they won’t end up here in this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham answered, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets to tell them the score. Let them listen to them.’

30 “‘I know, Father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but they’re not listening. If someone came back to them from the dead, they would change their ways.’

31 “Abraham replied, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the Prophets, they’re not going to be convinced by someone who rises from the dead.’”


2. What is Jesus (the Gospel) saying to you?

(Reread the Gospel.)

Luke 16:19-31

The Voice

19 There was this rich man who had everything—purple clothing of fine quality and high fashion, gourmet meals every day, and a large house. 20 Just outside his front gate lay this poor homeless fellow named Lazarus. Lazarus was covered in ugly skin lesions. 21 He was so hungry he wished he could scavenge scraps from the rich man’s trash. Dogs would come and lick the sores on his skin. 22 The poor fellow died and was carried on the arms of the heavenly messengers to the embrace of Abraham. Then the rich fellow died and was buried 23 and found himself in the place of the dead. In his torment, he looked up, and off in the distance he saw Abraham, with Lazarus in his embrace.

24 He shouted out, “Father Abraham! Please show me mercy! Would you send that beggar Lazarus to dip his fingertip in water and cool my tongue? These flames are hot, and I’m in agony!”

25 But Abraham said, “Son, you seem to be forgetting something: your life was full to overflowing with comforts and pleasures, and the life of Lazarus was just as full with suffering and pain. So now is his time of comfort, and now is your time of agony. 26 Besides, a great canyon separates you and us. Nobody can cross over from our side to yours, or from your side to ours.”

27 “Please, Father Abraham, I beg you,” the formerly rich man continued, “send Lazarus to my father’s house. 28 I have five brothers there, and they’re on the same path I was on. If Lazarus warns them, they’ll choose another path and won’t end up here in torment.”

29 But Abraham said, “Why send Lazarus? They already have the law of Moses and the writings of the prophets to instruct them. Let your brothers hear them.”

30 “No, Father Abraham,” he said, “they’re already ignoring the law and the prophets. But if someone came back from the dead, then they’d listen for sure; then they’d change their way of life.”

31 Abraham answered, “If they’re not listening to Moses and the prophets, they won’t be convinced even if someone comes back from the dead.”


3. What is Jesus (the Gospel) calling you to do?

Luke 16:19-31

New Living Translation

Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus

19 Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. 20 At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. 21 As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

22 “Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to sit beside Abraham at the heavenly banquet.[a] The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and he went to the place of the dead.[b] There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side.

24 “The rich man shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’

25 “But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.’

27 “Then the rich man said, ‘Please, Father Abraham, at least send him to my father’s home. 28 For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don’t end up in this place of torment.’

29 “But Abraham said, ‘Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.’

30 “The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.’

31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Opening Sentence:

Confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.James 5:16

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;

We give thanks for being here;

We give thanks for being here together.


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,

Mirror of God’s eternal face,

Transparent flame of love’s free duty,

You bring salvation to our race.

Now, as we see the lights of evening,

We raise our voice in hymns of praise;

Worthy are you of endless blessing,

Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


HE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES -Anonymous
Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:
We light this candle of remembrance.



For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:
We light this candle of consecration.



May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.


“In me there is darkness,
But with You there is light;
I am lonely, but You do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with You there is help;
I am restless, but with You there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with You there is patience;
I do not understand Your ways,
But You know the way for me.”
“Lord Jesus Christ,
You were poor
And in distress, a captive and forsaken as I am.
You know all man’s troubles;
You abide with me
When all men fail me;
You remember and seek me;
It is Your will that I should know You
And turn to You.
Lord, I hear Your call and follow;
Help me.” 

― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison




With visible breath I am walking.
A voice I am sending as I walk.
In a sacred manner I am walking.
With visible tracks I am walking.
In a sacred manner I walk.
bringing the sacred pipe - white buffalo maiden


We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." - Thurgood Marshall

O God our shield and armor of light, whom we adore with all the angelic host: defend us from evil; watch over any who are in danger this night and give your angels charge over them; and grant that we may always rejoice in your heavenly protection and serve you bravely in the world; through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen. 

God,light our hearts with love and justice this night as we pray for an end to hatred and division. God light our pathways to a world where we seek to know and make peace a reality not only in our hearts but in our bodies, minds, spirits, and world. We pray for that we may speak truth to power and let our leaders know that we expect them to be truthful in speech and in action. We pray that we may truly know the history  of our land, our world, and yes even how we as people of faith got from point A to point B. We pray that as we light our candles and pray this night we may listen to what you are calling us to do and to be and that we may step out in faith with courage. We pray for all those who are in need of our prayers remembering_______________. We light special candles for those who are in any ICU. We pray and give thanks this day for_____________________. We light our candles and show the world that we are one shining the Light of Christ to each other in Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy and that we may have courage to call out, speak up, stand up, and lift up ourselves from fear to trust, hate to love, injustice to justice, and that we may continue to Walk With God On The Daily Journey we call life. Amen.





Howard Thurman- I Lay Before You

I LAY BARE BEFORE YOU

The concern which I lay bare before You today is:

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me—I would seek the root or cause of such disaffection, and with the illumination of Your mind, O God, to understand it.

I give myself to Your scrutiny that, whatever there may be in me that is responsible for what has happened, I will acknowledge.

Where I have wronged or given offense deliberately or without intention, I seek a face-to-face forgiveness.

What I can undo I am willing to try; what I cannot undo, with that I seek to make my peace.

How to do these things, what techniques to use, with what spirit—for these I need and seek Your wisdom and strength, O God.

Whatever disaffection there is between me and those who are or have been very close to me, I lay bare before You.

Sarum Primer

God be in my head,

And in my understanding;

God be in my eyes

And in my looking;

God be in my mouth

And in my speaking;

God be in my heart

And in my thinking;

God be at my end,

And at my departing.

IN  LAK’ECH

TÚ ERES MI OTRO YO.
YOU ARE MY OTHER ME.
SI TE HAGO DAÑO A TI,
IF I DO HARM TO YOU,
ME HAGO DAÑO A MI MISMO.
I DO HARM TO MYSELF.
SI TE AMO Y RESPETO,
IF I LOVE AND RESPECT YOU,
ME AMO Y RESPETO YO.
I LOVE AND RESPECT MYSELF.
LUIS VALDEZ
 A Smudging Prayer (Metis Aboriginal Ministries)
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.

We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 

We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen. 





Psalm 146

Lauda, anima mea


1 Hallelujah!

Praise the Lord, O my soul! *

I will praise the Lord as long as I live;

I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.


2 Put not your trust in rulers, nor in any child of earth, *

for there is no help in them.


3 When they breathe their last, they return to earth, *

and in that day their thoughts perish.


4 Happy are they who have the God of Jacob for their help! *

whose hope is in the Lord their God;


5 Who made heaven and earth, the seas, and all that is in them; *

who keeps his promise for ever;


6 Who gives justice to those who are oppressed, *

and food to those who hunger.


7 The Lord sets the prisoners free;

the Lord opens the eyes of the blind; *

the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;


8 The Lord loves the righteous;

the Lord cares for the stranger; *

he sustains the orphan and widow,

but frustrates the way of the wicked.


9 The Lord shall reign for ever, *

your God, O Zion, throughout all generations.

Hallelujah!


Amos 6:1a,4-7

Alas for those who are at ease in Zion,

and for those who feel secure on Mount Samaria.


Alas for those who lie on beds of ivory,

and lounge on their couches,


and eat lambs from the flock,

and calves from the stall;


who sing idle songs to the sound of the harp,

and like David improvise on instruments of music;


who drink wine from bowls,

and anoint themselves with the finest oils,

but are not grieved over the ruin of Joseph!


Therefore they shall now be the first to go into exile,

and the revelry of the loungers shall pass away.


The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,

my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *

for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *

you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,

and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you *

from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm *

and scattered the proud in their conceit,

Casting down the mighty from their thrones *

and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things *

and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *

for you have remembered your promise of mercy,

The promise made to our forebears, *

to Abraham and his children for ever.



1 Timothy 6:6-19

There is great gain in godliness combined with contentment; for we brought nothing into the world, so that we can take nothing out of it; but if we have food and clothing, we will be content with these. But those who want to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.


But as for you, man of God, shun all this; pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal life, to which you were called and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. In the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep the commandment without spot or blame until the manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will bring about at the right time-- he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords. It is he alone who has immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see; to him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.

As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share, thus storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.

A Song of Faith

1 Peter 1:3-4,18-21

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *

by divine mercy we have a new birth into a living hope;

Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, *

we have an inheritance that is imperishable in heaven.

The ransom that was paid to free us *

was not paid in silver or gold,

But in the precious blood of Christ, *

the Lamb without spot or stain.

God raised Jesus from the dead and gave him glory *

so that we might have faith and hope in God.


Track 1: Alternate readings

Jeremiah 32:1-3a, 6-15

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord in the tenth year of King Zedekiah of Judah, which was the eighteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar. At that time the army of the king of Babylon was besieging Jerusalem, and the prophet Jeremiah was confined in the court of the guard that was in the palace of the king of Judah, where King Zedekiah of Judah had confined him.


Jeremiah said, The word of the Lord came to me: Hanamel son of your uncle Shallum is going to come to you and say, "Buy my field that is at Anathoth, for the right of redemption by purchase is yours." Then my cousin Hanamel came to me in the court of the guard, in accordance with the word of the Lord, and said to me, "Buy my field that is at Anathoth in the land of Benjamin, for the right of possession and redemption is yours; buy it for yourself." Then I knew that this was the word of the Lord.


And I bought the field at Anathoth from my cousin Hanamel, and weighed out the money to him, seventeen shekels of silver. I signed the deed, sealed it, got witnesses, and weighed the money on scales. Then I took the sealed deed of purchase, containing the terms and conditions, and the open copy; and I gave the deed of purchase to Baruch son of Neriah son of Mahseiah, in the presence of my cousin Hanamel, in the presence of the witnesses who signed the deed of purchase, and in the presence of all the Judeans who were sitting in the court of the guard. In their presence I charged Baruch, saying, Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Take these deeds, both this sealed deed of purchase and this open deed, and put them in an earthenware jar, in order that they may last for a long time. For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Houses and fields and vineyards shall again be bought in this land.


Psalm 91:1-6, 14-16

Qui habitat


1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, *

abides under the shadow of the Almighty.


2 He shall say to the Lord,

"You are my refuge and my stronghold, *

my God in whom I put my trust."


3 He shall deliver you from the snare of the hunter *

and from the deadly pestilence.


4 He shall cover you with his pinions,

and you shall find refuge under his wings; *

his faithfulness shall be a shield and buckler.


5 You shall not be afraid of any terror by night, *

nor of the arrow that flies by day;


6 Of the plague that stalks in the darkness, *

nor of the sickness that lays waste at mid-day.


14 Because he is bound to me in love,

therefore will I deliver him; *

I will protect him, because he knows my Name.


15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him; *

I am with him in trouble;

I will rescue him and bring him to honor.


16 With long life will I satisfy him, *

and show him my salvation.

Alternate Readings for the Feast of Sergius of Moscow. These are also good portions of scripture to ponder along with today's parable study.


34 Benedicam Dominum


1 I will bless the Lord at all times; *

his praise shall ever be in my mouth.


2 I will glory in the Lord; *

let the humble hear and rejoice.


3 Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord; *

let us exalt his Name together.


4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me *

and delivered me out of all my terror.


5 Look upon him and be radiant, *

and let not your faces be ashamed.


6 I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me *

and saved me from all my troubles.


7 The angel of the Lord encompasses those who fear him, *

and he will deliver them.


8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; *

happy are they who trust in him!


Ecclesiasticus 29:1-8

On Lending and Borrowing

29The merciful lend to their neighbours;

   by holding out a helping hand they keep the commandments.

2 Lend to your neighbour in his time of need;

   repay your neighbour when a loan falls due.

3 Keep your promise and be honest with him,

   and on every occasion you will find what you need.

4 Many regard a loan as a windfall,

   and cause trouble to those who help them.

5 One kisses another’s hands until he gets a loan,

   and is deferential in speaking of his neighbour’s money;

but at the time for repayment he delays,

   and pays back with empty promises,

   and finds fault with the time.

6 If he can pay, his creditor* will hardly get back half,

   and will regard that as a windfall.

If he cannot pay, the borrower* has robbed the other of his money,

   and he has needlessly made him an enemy;

he will repay him with curses and reproaches,

   and instead of glory will repay him with dishonour.

7 Many refuse to lend, not because of meanness,

   but from fear* of being defrauded needlessly.


8 Nevertheless, be patient with someone in humble circumstances,

   and do not keep him waiting for your alms.


Mark 2:23-28

Pronouncement about the Sabbath

23 One sabbath he was going through the cornfields; and as they made their way his disciples began to pluck heads of grain. 24The Pharisees said to him, ‘Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the sabbath?’ 25And he said to them, ‘Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need of food? 26He entered the house of God, when Abiathar was high priest, and ate the bread of the Presence, which it is not lawful for any but the priests to eat, and he gave some to his companions.’ 27Then he said to them, ‘The sabbath was made for humankind, and not humankind for the sabbath; 28so the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.’

The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said.  From A New Zealand Prayer Book.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.


Or

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever.    Amen.


Collects of the day!


O God, you declare your almighty power chiefly in showing mercy and pity: Grant us the fullness of your grace, that we, running to obtain your promises, may become partakers of your heavenly treasure; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. BCP

Almighty God,
you alone are our true judge,
for you know what we are,
you know what we should be,
and with you there is mercy.
Give us feeling for what is right;
set us on fire to see that right is done.
Hear this prayer for your love’s sake.
Amen. ANZPB

O God, whose blessed Son became poor that we, through his poverty, might be rich: Deliver us from an inordinate love of this world, that we, inspired by the devotion of your servant Sergius, may serve you with singleness of heart, and attain to the riches of the age to come; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. LFF

LITANY OF LOVE from Services for Congregational Worship: Litanies


O God, the source of all being and all joy, let Your blessings be upon us, and fill us with Your love.


From all jealousy and envy, from all unkindness, from offence given or taken, from unrighteous anger and an impatient spirit, from a hard and unforgiving temper, and from evil-speaking,


O God, deliver us.


From all ambition and greed which bring want and distress to multitudes and debase the bodies and souls of many, shutting from them the fulness of life.


O God, deliver us.


From an unquiet and discontented spirit, from despondency and gloom, from doubts of Your boundless love, and from forgetfulness of the manifold goods of Life,


O God, deliver us.


Inspire in us that spirit which suffers long and is kind; which envies not; vaunted not itself, is not puffed up; which does not behave unseemly, and seeks not its own.


Grant us to be filled with the fullness of Your spirit.


Quicken in us that charity which is not easily provoked, which thinks no evil, which rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; which bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things; the charity which never fails;


That so by Your grace we may establish good will upon the earth.


O God, the Father and Mother of us all, who has breathed Your own spirit into Your children and made us to be one with each other as members of Your household: enable us to make Your house a refuge for every wounded spirit, a home for every aspiring soul.



Amid diversities of knowledge and of faith, may we be one in spirit, in affection, and in devotion to You.


++++



Prayer Set 1


Let us stand together as we pray for a more loving and just world.



God, we pray that we may stand together as one family seeking for a solution to all the violence, hatred, division, and indifference.

Hear the cries of your children O God


God we pray that we may speak truth to power when it is necessary to call people out when our brothers and sisters are slandered, verbally abused, and made fun of by senseless and harmful bullying.

Hear the cries of your children O God.


God we pray that we may serve the least of these our family members and see your face in their eyes daily may we seek to come to know you in them.

Hear the cries of your children O God.


God we pray that we may console one another when we are in grief or struggle.

Hear the cries of your children O God.


God we pray that we may stand up with courage when we are needed to say something and not sit idly by when we are made to feel like doormats.

Hear the cries of your children O God.


God we pray for_____________________________

Hear the cries of your children  O God.


God we pray that we may help you make this fragile and broken world a more loving and just place in which to live, move, and just be.

Hear the cries of your children O God. 


Prayer Set 2


God guide us this night that we may find you in the Waters of Life and at the time of the evening breeze.


God console our restless hearts that we may find rest and listen for your still small voice.


God make us glad to be your children and members of your family and that we may give thanks daily for our adoption as your beloved ones.


God keep watch over all of the vulnerable and the least of these this night and always.


God give us the courage to step out courage and proclaim your Good News of Love to all whom we may meet not just in words but in deeds. 


God take from us any hatred, bitterness, and unwelcome thoughts and actions we may find ourselves acting out.


God help us to love and forgive ourselves and family members fully each day.


God we pray for all who are preparing for worship and all the many faith communities that will be meeting this weekend. We pray for love, understanding, and a spirit of cooperation among us all.


God we pray for an end to all the senseless violence in our towns and in the world. We pray for peace and justice and universal human rights.


God we pray for all caregivers of any stripe that they may find respite, peace, and have the courage to say no. 


God we enter into a time of prayer and thanksgiving___________________ and offer these our prayers and thanksgivings in the arms of our loving Savior Jesus. Amen. 



Prayer Set 3


God of love and compassion help us to be truly loving and that we may protect all those who are being bullied, abused, and hated.


God of love and compassion, encircle this broken and fragile with you love, justice, mercy and light so that there may be peace on the earth.


God of love and compassion, drive away all things that divide us ! May we be one with you O God and stand and live united as one family under the shadow of your wings!


God of love and compassion, give us tender hearts to give comfort and help all those who are in any need or trouble.


God  of Love and compassion, heal all of our family members who are ill in body, mind , or spirit. Give us courage to help them and reach out to them when  our fears and anxieties hold us  back.


God of Love and compassion, we pray for all of our family members who are pre-grieving their loved ones who are transitioning into the Thin Places.


God of  Love and compassion, we pray for all those who live in places of  violence, especially __________. We pray particularly for the many refugees who have been displaced from their homes and workplaces.


God of Love and Compassion We pray for all who are dying and those who have died today that they had a peaceful and warm journey into the Thin Places. 


God of Love and compassion, We pray that we may become the voices of our voiceless and vulnerable family members.


God of Love and compassion, please shower  upon us the gift of rain to heal and cleanse all drought parched areas of the world and in our country.


God of Love and compassion, we pray for all the leaders of the nations that they may learn to  lead with compassion, justice, and mercy. and that their citizenry may be afforded human and equal rights and that they may respect the dignity of  every human being.


God of Love and Compassion, we add our prayers for ourselves and those who have asked to pray on behalf of others ______________.


God of Love and Compassion we offer these prayers in the name of his only Son Jesus, Amen.

St. Teresa's Bookmark


Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything. Whoever has God lacks nothing. God alone suffices.


Christ has no body- St. Teresa of Avila


Christ has no body now on earth but yours; no hands but yours; no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which the compassion of Christ must look out on the world. Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which He is to bless His people.

The Woke Prayers of St. Francis

Help us O God to be woke!

Woke as your peacemakers, change makers, heart changers, and love energy bringers!

Woke to the hatred so that we may sow seeds of love.

Woke to the injury so that we may heal the hurt and cease the harm.

Woke to the divisiveness that we may be eager to heal and unite as one neighborhood and family.

Woke to uncertainty that will lead us to be renewed in faith.

Woke to the despair of all our neighbors so that we may sow seeds of radical hope, love, hospitality, and inclusion.

Woke to the knowledge that we are God's beloved children. Help us to be woke enough to know that God has made us in God's image and we are all in God's hands

Let us be woke and sing He's Got the Whole World In His Hands!


He's got the whole world in His hands,

He's got the whole world in His hands,

He's got the whole world in His hands,

He's got the whole world in His hands.


He's got my brothers and my sisters in His hands,

He's got my brothers and my sisters in His hands,

He's got my brothers and my sisters in His hands,

He's got the whole world in His hands.


He's got the sun and the rain in His hands,

He's got the moon and the stars in His hands,

He's got the wind and the clouds in His hands,

He's got the whole world in His hands.


He's got the rivers and the mountains in His hands,

He's got the oceans and the seas in His hands,

He's got you and he's got me in His hands,

He's got the whole world in His hands.


He's got everybody here in His hands,

He's got everybody there in His hands,

He's got everybody everywhere in His hands,

He's got the whole world in His hands.


Help us to be woke enough not to think of ourselves being the comforted, help us be the comforters and wounded healers.


Help not to be know it alls and be woke to understand what is plaguing our inner beings, neighbors, neighborhoods, the least of these, our family members.


God wake us up to be Woke to your agape love so that we may love everything that you have made. Wake us to be Woke to Radical Love, Hospitality, and inclusion.


Help us to know that being truly woke means being open to radical and random acts of kindness and giving. Where the giver is given and receives much by acts of giving.


Help us to be woke enough to forgive and then find ourselves being actually forgiven 

God Wake us Up to Be Woke to know that death isn't the end but only the beginning of a new birth in your heavenly Kindom. Amen and let it be so! 


 Almighty God, whose prophets taught us righteousness in the care of your poor: By the guidance of your Holy Spirit, grant that we may do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly in your sight; through Jesus Christ, our Judge and Redeemer, who lives and reigns with you and the same Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis

Luke 2:29-32


Lord, you now have set your servant free *

to go in peace as you have promised;

For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *

whom you have prepared for all the world to see:

A Light to enlighten the nations, *

and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *

as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more

than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to

generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.

Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21


God’s Blessing be with you,

Christ’s peace be with you,

the Spirit’s outpouring be with you,

now and always. Amen.

(source: Celtic)



Good Night Dear Ones. I love you! I give God thanks to God for you this night and always. Let our words and deeds match so that we may be God's light bearers to the world. Have a blessed and restful night. Rest gentle in God's arms.



With love and peace,

Sara 


Additional Prayers and Reflections


The Beatitudes

5 When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

++++


Now let us begin our virtual transformation into the least of these as we prepare to pray:


Let us imagine that we are wearing raggedy clothing and cannot look at another person in the eye.


Let us imagine that we are having to find places where food is distributed.


Let us imagine having to live as a transient and be cited for illegal camping.


Let us imagine being denied help just because we have a visible drug addiction and mental illness and that the church you have selected to go to has a nervous volunteer who shoos you away.


Let us imagine that we are outcasts and that the government you rely on for help is distant and thinks that we are lazy.


Let us imagine that we are homeless LGBTQ  youth and persons who haven't a place to go because family members have disowned you.


Let us imagine that we have come to this country illegally in  order to find a better life and that all our money goes to pay off the coyote who brought you here is in reality a brutal human trafficker.


Let us imagine that we are invisible and cower in the dark corners of buildings who are afraid to seek help and dig in dumpsters for food and that because we have a mental illness cannot go to shelters.


Let us imagine that we haven't anywhere to lay our heads and we are experiencing severe weather.


Let us imagine being discriminated against because of our lack of knowing how to speak and read English.


Let us imagine that we do not have sufficient medical, dental, vision, and mental health care and have to resort to using ERs.


Let us imagine being urban refugees with families seeking food, clothing, and shelter.


Let us imagine if only .....


Let us pray our responses to the above.


God we pray for all who are seeking warm clothing and the courage to look family members in the eye.


God we pray that we may have courage to share from our abundance food and clothing. We give thanks for Food banks and clothing distribution centers.


God we pray for shelters to meet the needs of all people and that housing may be built for our homeless and housing insufficient family members. 


God we pray for all who are mentally ill and in need of assistance from our government and social service agencies.


God we pray that our churches may be responsive and educate our personnel how to treat and care for homeless and indigent people. May our churches be a place of sanctuary.


God we pray for safety for our LGBTQ youth and especially the many cultures where being LGBTQ isn't safe and we are shunned by living authentically.


God we pray for all who come to this country illegally and that we may welcome the strangers and help them out of dangerous situations. May we have courage to love our neighbors and the strangers in our midst.


God we pray this night for all the invisible ones who are living like true outcasts and on the the extreme margins of society. 


God we pray for all who are lacking sufficient shelter due to severe weather and natural disaster.


God we pray for our family members who are urban refugees who live in cars and on the streets we remember our poor families who do not have access to food, clothing, and shelter. 


God we pray that we may imagine, pray, and then act, by showing each of us compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy. 


God we pray for good medical care for our family members who lack insurance and are financially unable to pay for good care. We give thanks for Medicaid and social programs designed to help them. 


God give us the courage to stand up and fight against injustice, bigotry, hatred, terror, racism, inequality and all things that seek to divide your family.


God we lift up our own prayers _____________________


God we give thanks and lift up these our prayers and petitions in the name of Jesus who taught us to love, wander like a homeless hippie, and care for the least of these. Amen.


Tonight we light our single candle in loving memory and in conscious knowledge of all the marginalized. We pray for the living and the departed ones whose names we do not know but you know O, God Amen.




Gracious Spirit Come among us in the quietness of  this night so that we may hear God's still small voice calling us in love to be a family united in peace, love, and justice.


We pray this night for all earthly creatures and God's Cathedral of life. May we always remember that every living thing is a family member that sustains us.


Gracious Spirit guide us to take care of the least of these and all of our fragile family members and the world .


We pray for all who are ill that we may step up to help give aid and comfort.


Gracious Spirit, bend our ears so that we may listen to our family members' unspoken cries for love, help, and acceptance.


Gracious Spirit, we pray for all who are dying and those who have died and have entered the Thin Places today. We pray that your comforting presence and loving arms carried them into the arms of God.


We pray for the newly grieving and those who continue to mourn.


We pray for all who have fallen through the cracks, may we reconnect with them and be mindful of fragile souls who become invisible to us and that we may keep our eyes, hearts, and ears open.


Gracious Spirit, we pray for all those who are discerning vocations and new life paths that they may have courage to change course and say yes to whatever your are calling them to do and to be.


We pray for all refugees, political prisoners, victims of abuse and violence, and those who have died by all acts of violence and terror. 


Gracious Spirit we add our own prayers and those we pray on behalf of others especially__________


We pray lift up all these petitions in Jesus most Holy and Redeeming Name. Amen.


+++++++

A  Prayer of the Four Directions   - Chief Seattle 


Great Spirit of Light, come to me out of the East (red) with the power of the rising sun. Let there be light in my words, let there be light on my path that I walk. Let me remember always that you give the gift of a new day. And never let me be burdened with sorrow by not starting over again.


Great Spirit of Love, come to me with the power of the North (white). Make me courageous when the cold wind falls upon me. Give me strength and endurance for everything that is harsh, everything that hurts, everything that makes me squint. Let me move through life ready to take what comes from the north.


Great Life-Giving Spirit, I face the West (black), the direction of sundown. Let me remember everyday that the moment will come when my sun will go down. Never let me forget that I must fade into you. Give me a beautiful color, give me a great sky for setting, so that when it is my time to meet you, I can come with glory.


Great Spirit of Creation, send me the warm and soothing winds from the South (yellow). Comfort me and caress me when I am tired and cold. Unfold me like the gentle breezes that unfold the leaves on the trees. As you give to all the earth your warm, moving wind, give to me, so that I may grow close to you in warmth. Man did not create the web of life, he is but a strand in it. Whatever man does to the web, he does to himself.




P.S.Let us not forget to do y/our Worry/ Free Sabbath Work. 


Resources:

A New Zealand Prayer Book

Book of Common Prayer

Enriching Our Worship

Prayers of Power

Satucket for lessons 

Walk With Me On Our Journey.

Metis Aboriginal Ministries

In Lak 'Ech- Luis Valdez

Other resources as noted


No comments:

Post a Comment