Friday, January 27, 2017

A vigil and prayer time with Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy in mind and heart





Good Evening Dear Family of God/Love,

Welcome to our Friday Night Vigil and Prayer time where we need to pray for CALM (Compassion, Acceptance,Love and Mercy) in this  world in which we live, move and just be.  Today I have been struggling with a major league headache and stayed in bed for the most of the day except when I needed to eat and other things. I did get out of bed and dressed to make it to a #Resistance meeting. The more we educate ourselves the better and find ways in which to help the better and see who is attending these meetings. I had Mexican food after the meeting and am feeling better and am now writing our nightly vigil and prayer service for all of us I know that we need it. I will have words about the week past maybe tomorrow. Thoughts and emotions are running around and need time to process and I do not want to speak or write in haste.


Today are the feast days of St. John Chrysostom, Lydia Dorcas, and Phoebe, we will intersperse the collect and lessons for their days today. They speak of what we should be doing as the hands, feet, voices and shoulders needed at such a time as this. 

So let us make vigil and pray.

“Be the heart of a network of global citizens

Be a bridge for dialogue between civilizations

Be a beacon lighting the way to a century 

of life”

~ Daisaku Ikeda


The Lord is my light * and my salvation.
The Lord is my light and my salvation.
The Lord is the strength of my life:
And my salvation.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
The Lord is my light and my salvation.
V. I will bless the Lord at all times:
R. His praise shall ever be in my mouth.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge


No automatic alt text available.


“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”


― Teresa of Ávila


Christ Has No Body - Talbot


Jeremiah 1:4-10

Now the word of the LORD came to me saying,

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations."
Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." But the LORD said to me,

"Do not say, `I am only a boy';
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you,
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD."
Then the LORD put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me,

"Now I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant."

Audite haec, omnes

1
Hear this, all you peoples;
hearken, all you who dwell in the world, *
you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
2
My mouth shall speak of wisdom, *
and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
3
I will incline my ear to a proverb *
and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
4
Why should I be afraid in evil days, *
when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
5
The wickedness of those who put their trust in their goods, *
and boast of their great riches?
6
We can never ransom ourselves, *
or deliver to God the price of our life;
7
For the ransom of our life is so great, *
that we should never have enough to pay it,
8
In order to live for ever and ever, *
and never see the grave.

Malachi 3:16-18

16 Then those who revered the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord took note and listened, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who revered the Lord and thought on his name. 17 They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, my special possession on the day when I act, and I will spare them as parents spare their children who serve them. 18 Then once more you shall see the difference between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him.


Psalm 34:15-22 Page 628, BCP

Benedicam Dominum

15
The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, *
and his ears are open to their cry.
16
The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, *
to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
17
The righteous cry, and the LORD hears them *
and delivers them from all their troubles.
18
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted *
and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
19
Many are the troubles of the righteous, *
but the LORD will deliver him out of them all.
20
He will keep safe all his bones; *
not one of them shall be broken.
21
Evil shall slay the wicked, *
and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
22
The LORD ransoms the life of his servants, *
and none will be punished who trust in him.

Acts 16:11-15

11 We set sail from Troas and took a straight course to Samothrace, the following day to Neapolis, 1 12 and from there to Philippi, which is a leading city of the district* of Macedonia and a Roman colony. We remained in this city for some days. 13 On the sabbath day we went outside the gate by the river, where we supposed there was a place of prayer; and we sat down and spoke to the women who had gathered there. 14 A certain woman named Lydia, a worshipper of God, was listening to us; she was from the city of Thyatira and a dealer in purple cloth. The Lord opened her heart to listen eagerly to what was said by Paul. 15 When she and her household were baptized, she urged us, saying, ‘If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come and stay at my home.’ And she prevailed upon us.


100 Jubilate Deo

1 Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands; *
serve the Lord with gladness
and come before his presence with a song.

2 Know this: The Lord himself is God; *
he himself has made us, and we are his;
we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.

3 Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
go into his courts with praise; *
give thanks to him and call upon his Name.

4 For the Lord is good;
his mercy is everlasting; *
and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

Luke 21:12-15

Jesus said, "But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of my name. This will give you an opportunity to testify. So make up your minds not to prepare your defense in advance; for I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict."

Canticle G
A Song of Ezekiel
Ezekiel 36:24-28
I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God.

Luke 8:1-3

8 Soon afterwards he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. The twelve were with him, 2 as well as some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, 3 and Joanna, the wife of Herod’s steward Chuza, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them* out of their resources.

Canticle Q
A Song of Christ’s Goodness

Anselm of Canterbury
Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.
Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.
You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.
Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.
Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.
Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.
Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.
In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.



O God, you gave your servant John Chrysostom grace eloquently to proclaim your righteousness in the great congregation, and fearlessly to bear reproach for the honor of your Name: Mercifully grant to all bishops and pastors such excellence in preaching, and faithfulness in ministering your Word, that your people may be partakers with them of the glory that shall be revealed; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

The Song of Mary Magnificat
Luke 1:46-55
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; *
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him *
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm, *
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, *
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, *
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel, *
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
The promise he made to our fathers, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as It was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen


Filled with your Holy Spirit, gracious God, your earliest disciples served you with the gifts each had been given: Lydia in business and stewardship, Dorcas in a life of charity and Phoebe as a deacon who served many. Inspire us today to build up your Church with our gifts in hospitality, charity and bold witness to the Gospel of Christ; who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

A Collect for Fridays

Lord Jesus Christ, by your death you took away the sting of
death: Grant to us your servants so to follow in faith where
you have led the way, that we may at length fall asleep
peacefully in you and wake up in your likeness; for your
tender mercies’ sake. Amen

For all Christians in their Vocation.

Almighty and everlasting God, by whose Spirit the whole body of your faithful people is governed and sanctified: Receive our supplications and prayers, which we offer before you for all members of your holy Church, that in their vocation and ministry they may truly and devoutly serve you; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

God of abundance, joy, and love we offer our bodies, minds, and spirits into your loving care this night. As we pray let us be mindful of the needs of our family members and pray for their well being.

 God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over all our family members who have had surgery or any procedure today that they may be on their way to good health and accept your healing.

God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over all refugees, captives, prisoners, victims of domestic violence and abuse. Bring them out of danger and into freedom and safety.

 God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over all who are grieving that they may feel your loving and sustaining grace during grief's long journey.


 God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over all of our family members who are struggling that they may be comforted and relieved from their present situation.


God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over all nations that they may use common sense and compassion when governing their residents. We pray for peace and and end to violence, war, and cruelty.

God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over all  who have asked us for prayer and the many who are on our daily prayer heart and prayer list. Please add your own prayers and thanksgivings here.

God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over our heart homes and may we love more and more to the brim and overflowing.


God of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy,watch over all who post and tweet in cyber-space that hate may be quelled and a place of love, dignity and respect may reign.


 God  of Compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy, help us to see your Gospel messages everywhere we go. Help us to see them and follow your son Jesus and model our lives and show love and mercy to your fragile and broken world.  Keep our eyes keen, our hearts open, and our spirits empowered to be engaged in your world for the betterment of all our family members. May we reflect your compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy to all. We pray that the me generation will be replaced with the we generation.

God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, these are our prayers accept them with love, mercy, and grace. Amen.


Psalm 23 -Bobby McFerrin

Psalm 23 Dominus regit me

The Lord is my shepherd; *
therefore can I lack nothing.
He shall feed me in a green pasture, *
and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
He shall convert my soul, *
and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness for his
Name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil; *
for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff comfort me.
Thou shalt prepare a table before me in the presence of them
that trouble me; *
thou hast anointed my head with oil,
and my cup shall be full.
Surely thy loving-kindness and mercy shall follow me all the
days of my life; *
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

A Prayer of St. Chrysostom

Almighty God, you have given us grace at this time with one
accord to make our common supplication to you; and you
have promised through your well-beloved Son that when two
or three are gathered together in his Name you will be in the
midst of them: Fulfill now, O Lord, our desires and petitions
as may be best for us; granting us in this world knowledge of
your truth, and in the age to come life everlasting. Amen.

Click on this link to meet Lydia, Dorcas, and Phoebe


Good Night Loved Ones! Have a blessed and restful evening! Know that you are loved, matter, and aren't hated but held in God's loving arms and wrapped warmly in God's quilt of grace and mercy.  I love you and give God thanks for you this night and always!

Love, prayers, and the light is always on in my heart-home for you,

Sara


Resources:
Book of Occasional Services- Anthem At the Candle Lighting
Enriching our Worship: Canticles
Book of Common Prayer Prayers.
Lectionary Page Lessons and Collects
Satucket Lectionary Biography of Lydia, Dorcas, and Phoebe

No comments:

Post a Comment