Friday, January 20, 2017

An epiphany and then some! Taking up our Crosses Fearlessly.




Good Evening Dear Family of Love!

Happy Keeping the Faith Friday Fearlessly Without Fretting! Yes I used the word fearlessly. That is what we are called to do while we continue to live,love, move, and just be in God's kindom. We are family and we must step out without fear in order to affect change  from where we live in our homes, in our cities, nation, and the world. For the past few weeks we have been doing new and exciting Holy Hashtags. We will take them up again tomorrow. But for tonight we need to get out our Worry Sabbath Jar/journal,box and place all our worries, anxieties, fears, mads, or any thing else that might be troubling you. Let's take a breather and then make vigil, pray and then have a few hours of self-care. 

Part of being fearless in God's Kindom and this is for Christians solely, is that we take up our crosses and follow Jesus even in the good times and in the bad. This includes election days, inauguration days, days when we ourselves are struggling and yes even our nation coming to terms with a 180 degree shift in just about anything we experience. So we take up our crosses, follow Jesus not  President Trump, Jesus alone. We must work with Jesus to make this world a better place where we are serving the least of these without fear and where every one is welcome, loved, and we continue using the CALM principle where we are (Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful). So tonight's readings and prayer come from the Common of The Holy Cross.

Let us light our candles and be at prayer. Let us come yet again and follow the steps of our Lord Jesus on his Journey to the Cross and tomb. Let us take up our own crosses and follow Him daily and know that we are called to carry love, mercy, light, and justice to our family members throughout this fragile and broken world. We pray that we may have courage to carry our crosses wherever they take us on the journey Jesus and God have set before us. We pray for peace this night and an end to hate, bigotry, and violence. We pray that we may open wide our heart homes even to the place of feeling the ache of our brothers' and sisters' pain as they live in danger, division, and are subject to persecution by their own faith and the faiths of others. We pray that there may be an end to extremism in all forms who hijack faiths that have been founded upon peace, love, and mercy. , Friday prayers in mosques and Islamic centers, and those who attended  their local synagogue and have entered into a time of Shabbat. We pray for all children of Abraham that they may find peace and harmony together as a united family seeking to love one another. 


Heavenly Father, whose blessed Son came not to be served but to serve: Bless all who, following in his steps, give themselves to the service of others; that with wisdom, patience, and courage, they may minister in his Name to the suffering, the friendless, and the needy for the love of him who laid down his life for us, your Son our Savior Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.





Almighty God, whose beloved Son willingly endured the agony and shame of the cross for our redemption: Give us courage to take up our cross and follow him; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Isaiah 52:13-15,53:10-12


13 See, my servant shall prosper;
   he shall be exalted and lifted up,
   and shall be very high. 
14 Just as there were many who were astonished at him*
   —so marred was his appearance, beyond human semblance,
   and his form beyond that of mortals— 
15 so he shall startle* many nations;
   kings shall shut their mouths because of him;
for that which had not been told them they shall see,
   and that which they had not heard they shall contemplate. 
10 Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him with pain.*
When you make his life an offering for sin,*
   he shall see his offspring, and shall prolong his days;
through him the will of the Lord shall prosper. 
11   Out of his anguish he shall see light;*
he shall find satisfaction through his knowledge.
   The righteous one,* my servant, shall make many righteous,
   and he shall bear their iniquities. 
12 Therefore I will allot him a portion with the great,
   and he shall divide the spoil with the strong;
because he poured out himself to death,
   and was numbered with the transgressors;
yet he bore the sin of many,
   and made intercession for the transgressors. 


40 Expectans, expectavi

1 I waited patiently upon the Lord; *
he stooped to me and heard my cry.

2 He lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the mire and clay; *
he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.

3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God; *
many shall see, and stand in awe,
and put their trust in the Lord.

4 Happy are they who trust in the Lord! *
they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.

5 Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
how great your wonders and your plans for us! *
there is none who can be compared with you.

6 Oh, that I could make them known and tell them! *
but they are more than I can count.

7 In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure *
(you have given me ears to hear you);

8 Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required, *
and so I said, "Behold, I come.

9 In the roll of the book it is written concerning me: *
'I love to do your will, O my God;
your law is deep in my heart.'"

10 I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation; *
behold, I did not restrain my lips;
and that, O Lord, you know.

11 Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance; *
I have not concealed your love and faithfulness from the great congregation.

12 You are the Lord;
do not withhold your compassion from me; *
let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,

13 For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see; *
they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails me.

14 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me; *
O Lord, make haste to help me.

15 Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
who seek after my life to destroy it; *
let them draw back and be disgraced who take pleasure in my misfortune.

16 Let those who say "Aha!" and gloat over me be confounded, *
because they are ashamed.

17 Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad; *
let those who love your salvation continually say,
"Great is the Lord!"

18 Though I am poor and afflicted, *
the Lord will have regard for me.

19 You are my helper and my deliverer; *
do not tarry, O my God.

1 Corinthians 1:18-24

18 For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written,
‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
   and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.’ 
20Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, God decided, through the foolishness of our proclamation, to save those who believe. 22For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, 23but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling-block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

John 12:23-33

23Jesus answered them, ‘The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honour.
27 ‘Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say—“Father, save me from this hour”? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. 28Father, glorify your name.’ Then a voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.’ 29The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, ‘An angel has spoken to him.’ 30Jesus answered, ‘This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. 31Now is the judgement of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. 32And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people* to myself.’ 33He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die.

Let us add Reconciliation and Forgiveness

God of compassion, you have reconciled us in Jesus Christ who is our peace: Enable us to live as Jesus lived, breaking down walls of hostility and healing enmity. Give us grace to make peace with those from whom we are divided, that, forgiven and forgiving, we may ever be one in Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit reigns for ever, one holy and undivided Trinity. Amen.


Genesis 8:12-17,20-22

12 Then he waited another seven days, and sent out the dove; and it did not return to him any more.

13 In the six hundred and first year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from the earth; and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and saw that the face of the ground was drying. 14 In the second month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, the earth was dry. 15 Then God said to Noah, 16‘Go out of the ark, you and your wife, and your sons and your sons’ wives with you. 17 Bring out with you every living thing that is with you of all flesh—birds and animals and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth—so that they may abound on the earth, and be fruitful and multiply on the earth.’
20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt-offerings on the altar. 21 And when the Lord smelt the pleasing odour, the Lord said in his heart, ‘I will never again curse the ground because of humankind, for the inclination of the human heart is evil from youth; nor will I ever again destroy every living creature as I have done. 
22 As long as the earth endures,
   seed time and harvest, cold and heat,
summer and winter, day and night,
   shall not cease.’

51 Miserere mei, Deus

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your loving-kindness; *
in your great compassion blot out my offenses.

2 Wash me through and through from my wickedness *
and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I know my transgressions, *
and my sin is ever before me.
.
4 Against you only have I sinned *
and done what is evil in your sight.

5 And so you are justified when you speak *
and upright in your judgment.

6 Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth, *
a sinner from my mother's womb.

7 For behold, you look for truth deep within me, *
and will make me understand wisdom secretly.

8 Purge me from my sin, and I shall be pure; *
wash me, and I shall be clean indeed.

9 Make me hear of joy and gladness, *
that the body you have broken may rejoice.

10 Hide your face from my sins *
and blot out all my iniquities.

11 Create in me a clean heart, O God, *
and renew a right spirit within me.

12 Cast me not away from your presence *
and take not your holy Spirit from me.

13 Give me the joy of your saving help again *
and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.

14 I shall teach your ways to the wicked, *
and sinners shall return to you.

15 Deliver me from death, O God, *
and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
O God of my salvation.

16 Open my lips, O Lord, *
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.

17 Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice, *
but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.

18 The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit; *
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

19 Be favorable and gracious to Zion, *
and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

20 Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
with burnt-offerings and oblations; *
then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

Hebrews 4:12-16

12 Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account. 

14 Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested* as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.


Luke 23:32-43

32 Two others also, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. 33 When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus* there with the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. [[ 34 Then Jesus said, ‘Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.’]]* And they cast lots to divide his clothing. 35 And the people stood by, watching; but the leaders scoffed at him, saying, ‘He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Messiah* of God, his chosen one!’ 36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine, 37 and saying, ‘If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!’ 38 There was also an inscription over him,* ‘This is the King of the Jews.’

39 One of the criminals who were hanged there kept deriding* him and saying, ‘Are you not the Messiah?* Save yourself and us!’ 40 But the other rebuked him, saying, ‘Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed have been condemned justly, for we are getting what we deserve for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong.’ 42 Then he said, ‘Jesus, remember me when you come into* your kingdom.’ 43 He replied, ‘Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.’

God we pray these classic words:

The Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


The Magnificat

My soul glorifies the Lord, *
my spirit rejoices in God, my Saviour.
He looks on his servant in her lowliness; *
henceforth all ages will call me blessed.
The Almighty works marvels for me. *
Holy his name!
His mercy is from age to age, *
on those who fear him.
He puts forth his arm in strength *
and scatters the proud-hearted.
He casts the mighty from their thrones *
and raises the lowly.
He fills the starving with good things, *
sends the rich away empty.
He protects Israel, his servant, *
remembering his mercy,
the mercy promised to our fathers, *
to Abraham and his sons for ever.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen


God as the week rushes by may we stop, look, listen, and be at prayer with you this night and always.

God we pray for an end to fear, hatred, bullying, abuse, and all forms of terror and even the terror of words designed to harm. 

God help us we pray to stop, look, and listen to our family members who are struggling to live, move, and just be.

God help us we pray to serve the least of these with loving, tender, and pure hearts not seeking to be self-serving and ego focused.

God help us we pray to see you in everyone we meet and shine your light to them. 

God we pray for all who are ill that they may be healed and comforted.

God we pray for all who are grieving losses of any kind.

God we pray for all who are in surgery at this moment that there may be a positive outcome.

God help us to rest comfortably this night and that we may lay our burdens down.

God we pray for all of our family members who have asked us to pray and especially the concerns and loved ones who are on their hearts____________________________


God we pray for all who have died that they may enjoy the joy and peace only Eternal Life can bring.

God we most especially pray for peace in this fragile and broken world.

God we pray for an end to violence and abuse of any kind. We pray for the victims of violence, abuse, and human trafficking.

God we add our own additional prayers and thanksgivings that are on our hearts this night and lay them in Jesus' gentle arms. Amen.

Or these!

These were the prayers I wrote 3 years ago.
In honor of Martin Luther King Junior let us take time to pray!
Lord God we lift up all war torn nations that are deprived of civil and human rights:
Let Freedom Ring!
Lord We lift up all who labor in the courts of justice in this country that every one will be granted due process and equal protection under the law.
Let Freedom Ring
Lord we pray that every family member will respect everyone's dignity and personhood.
Let us sow seeds of compassion.
Lord we pray that we may continue to give thanks for all that unites us and pray for those differences that separate us and that we may all come to know that we are one family in Christ and humankind.
May we live united as the family of God.
We pray for justice, love and mercy as we walk with God on our journey.
We pray for all those who are deprived of liberty, justice, education, and human rights in all parts of the world.
We pray for safe working conditions.
We pray for all laborers in the fields and in all places.
We pray for an end of violence, injustice, indifference, and hate
We pray for equality and acceptance of all God's Children.
We pray for rain to heal the areas affect by drought.
We pray for those in prison and captivity.
We pray for all those who have mental illness.
We pray for peace and to be peacemakers.
We pray especially for the causes and social justice issues that are on our hearts____________________
We give our thoughtful thanks for_______________
We celebrate________________ and especially all those who are new citizens of our country.
We remember Martin Luther King Junior, Fabian, Rosa Parks, the Little Rock Nine, Nelson Mandela, Steven Biko, and all valiant seekers after justice and the rights of the oppressed.
All this we ask in Jesus' name who is the example for us to be beacons of Justice, Hope, Equality, and Peace. Amen.

+++++++

Good Night Dear Ones! I love you and may you find peace and comfort this night and always.
Sara

Lectionary readings are from the Lectionary Page

No comments:

Post a Comment