Sunday, February 19, 2017

The eve of the Feast of Frederick Douglass- Words From Social justice sages:Frederick Douglass, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Muhammad Ali




Good Evening Dear Family of God and Love!

I hope all is well! Tomorrow on our church calendar we have the feast day of Frederick Douglass, and since the day will almost be over when I write the next blog I decided that we would celebrate him today. February is after all Black History Month. When I was dating and in a relationship with my beloved Steve we attended Grace Temple Missionary Baptist Church and were stirred by the preaching, singing, and fellowship. No, I didn't leave the Episcopal church, I just added more family! Thinking of those days reminded me of services with call and response and getting emotional by the spirituals, the Gospel hymns, and being sent heavenward with all GTMBC had to offer. It changed me in ways that you'll never or I will never know. How does worship and times of soulful sacredness affect us? Let us take time and ponder deeply this question. Here are a few quotes that we might want to ponder as well.


“One and God make a majority.” 
― Frederick Douglass


“The soul that is within me no man can degrade.” 
― Frederick Douglass


God you call us to be abolitionists, guides on the New Underground Railroad, and voices and feet to stand up in the face of injustice, violence, and struggles. We light our candles tonight as we travel and light the pathway to freedom for all God's children.



Let us light our candles in memory of Frederick Douglass, Janani Luwum, and Absalom Jones and all who have lit the way towards sanctuary, freedom, and non violence. Help us to learn from them and carry the banner of social justice to a fragile and broken world.

Let us pray the prayer for the Feast of Frederick Douglass-

Almighty God, we bless your Name for the witness of Frederick Douglass, whose impassioned and reasonable speech moved the hearts of people to a deeper obedience to Christ: Strengthen us also to speak on behalf of those in captivity and tribulation, continuing in the Word of Jesus Christ our Liberator; who with you and the Holy Spirit dwells in glory everlasting. Amen.


 Psalm 85 for the feast day starts with verse 7 but we will begin with the entire Psalm so that we have the right context.

Let us hear the sacred Psalm and may it resound in our hearts this day and always:


85 Benedixisti, Domine

1 You have been gracious to your land, O Lord, *
you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.

2 You have forgiven the iniquity of your people *
and blotted out all their sins.

3 You have withdrawn all your fury *
and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.

4 Restore us then, O God our Savior; *
let your anger depart from us.

5 Will you be displeased with us for ever? *
will you prolong your anger from age to age?

6 Will you not give us life again, *
that your people may rejoice in you?

7 Show us your mercy, O Lord, *
and grant us your salvation.

8 I will listen to what the Lord God is saying, *
for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
and to those who turn their hearts to him.

9 Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him, *
that his glory may dwell in our land.

10 Mercy and truth have met together; *
righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

11 Truth shall spring up from the earth, *
and righteousness shall look down from heaven.

12 The Lord will indeed grant prosperity, *
and our land will yield its increase.

13 Righteousness shall go before him, *
and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.


"IF YOU SPEAK MY NAME, I WILL LIVE FOREVER." African Proverb


Let us hear the words of Frederick Douglass- 

“I dwell mostly upon the religious aspects, because I believe it is the religious people who are to be relied upon in this Anti-Slavery movement. Do not misunderstand my railing—do not class me with those who despise religion—do not identify me with the infidel. I love the religion of Christianity—which cometh from above—which is a pure, peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of good fruits, and without hypocrisy. I love that religion which sends its votaries to bind up the wounds of those who have fallen among thieves.
By all the love I bear such a Christianity as this, I hate that of the Priest and the Levite, that with long-faced Phariseeism goes up to Jerusalem to worship and leaves the bruised and wounded to die. I despise that religion which can carry Bibles to the heathen on the other side of the globe and withhold them from the heathen on this side—which can talk about human rights yonder and traffic in human flesh here.... I love that which makes its votaries do to others as they would that others should do to them. I hope to see a revival of it—thank God it is revived. I see revivals of it in the absence of the other sort of revivals. I believe it to be confessed now, that there has not been a sensible man converted after the old sort of way, in the last five years.” 
― Frederick Douglass



Isaiah 32:11-18


11 Tremble, you women who are at ease,
   shudder, you complacent ones;
strip, and make yourselves bare,
   and put sackcloth on your loins. 
12 Beat your breasts for the pleasant fields,
   for the fruitful vine, 
13 for the soil of my people
   growing up in thorns and briers;
yes, for all the joyous houses
   in the jubilant city. 
14 For the palace will be forsaken,
   the populous city deserted;
the hill and the watch-tower
   will become dens for ever,
the joy of wild asses,
   a pasture for flocks; 
15 until a spirit from on high is poured out on us,
   and the wilderness becomes a fruitful field,
   and the fruitful field is deemed a forest.

16 Then justice will dwell in the wilderness,
   and righteousness abide in the fruitful field. 
17 The effect of righteousness will be peace,
   and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust for ever. 
18 My people will abide in a peaceful habitation,
   in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting-places.

"IF YOU SPEAK MY NAME, I WILL LIVE FOREVER." African Proverb

Let us hear the words of Nelson Mandela 

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” 
― Nelson MandelaLong Walk to Freedom


Hebrews 2:10-18

10 It was fitting that God,* for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11 For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father.* For this reason Jesus* is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters,* 12 saying,
‘I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters,*
   in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.’ 
13 And again,
‘I will put my trust in him.’
And again,
‘Here am I and the children whom God has given me.’

14 Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. 16 For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. 17 Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters* in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested. 

"IF YOU SPEAK MY NAME, I WILL LIVE FOREVER." African Proverb
Hear the Words of  Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, "Love your enemies." It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals. Just keep being friendly to that person. Just keep loving them, and they can’t stand it too long. Oh, they react in many ways in the beginning. They react with guilt feelings, and sometimes they’ll hate you a little more at that transition period, but just keep loving them. And by the power of your love they will break down under the load. That’s love, you see. It is redemptive, and this is why Jesus says love. There’s something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive. So love your enemies. (from "Loving Your Enemies")” 

― Martin Luther King Jr., A Knock at Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.


John 8:30-32

30 As he was saying these things, many believed in him.
31 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free

"IF YOU SPEAK MY NAME, I WILL LIVE FOREVER." African Proverb
Hear the Words of Muhammad Ali

“Throughout my life, I never sought retribution against those who hurt me because I believe in forgiveness. I have practiced forgiving, just as I want to be forgiven. Only God knows what's in a person's heart, his true intentions. He sees and hears all things.” 
― Muhammad Ali, The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey


Go Down, Moses

The United Methodist Hymnal Number 448
Text: Afro-American spiritual (Ex. 3:7-12)
Music: Afro-American spiritual; adapt. and arr. by William Farley Smith, 1986
Tune: TUBMAN, Meter: 85.85 with Refrain

1. When Israel was in Egypt's land,
let my people go;
oppressed so hard they could not stand,
let my people go.

Refrain:
Go down, (go down) Moses, (Moses)
way down in Egypt's land;
tell old Pharaoh
to let my people go!
2. "Thus saith the Lord," bold Moses said, 
let my people go; 
"if not, I'll smite your first-born dead," 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 

3. No more shall they in bondage toil, 
let my people go; 
let them come out with Egypt's spoil, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain)

4. We need not always weep and mourn, 
let my people go; 
and wear those slavery chains forlorn, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 

5. Come, Moses, you will not get lost, 
let my people go; 
stretch out your rod and come across, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 


6. As Israel stood by the water's side, 
let my people go; 
at God's command it did divide, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 

7. When they had reached the other shore, 
let my people go; 
they sang a song of triumph o'er, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 

8. O Moses, the cloud shall cleave the way, 
let my people go; 
a fire by night, a shade by day, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 

9. Your foes shall not before you stand, 
let my people go; 
and you'll possess fair Canaan's land, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 

10. This world's a wilderness of woe, 
let my people go; 
O let us on to Canaan go, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain) 

11. O let us all from bondage flee, 
let my people go; 
and let us all in Christ be free, 
let my people go. 
(Refrain)



Let my People Go Prayers!

We pray this night with a call and response : Let my People Go.

God we pray for peace in this fragile and broken world, free those who are trapped in war torn cities, terror-filled neighborhoods, and places where tyranny and occupation surround. 

Let my people Go!

God we pray for all those who are enslaved by addiction, fear, and anxiety!

Let my people Go!


God we pray for all those who suffer from mental  and memory related illnesses. Heal them and free them from mental and emotional bondage.
Let my people Go!

God we pray for an end to hatred, isms, obias, bullying, abuse, terror, and all things that hurt and harm all living beings. We remember all the marginalized who are being subjected to human rights indignities.

Let my people Go!

God we pray for all immigrants, refugees , victims of human trafficking, and all who fear for their safety. Grant to them security and forever homes where they my find solace and freedom.

Let my people Go!

God we pray for sound governance in this country  where all our citizenry  may live freely and with human rights and equality intact. We pray that all may be on the same footing without having to be afraid of their rights and justice being taken away. We pray that our leaders may listen to the cries of the people and lay down the need to hurt and harm because of political viewpoints that only serve their own interests.


Let my people Go!


God We pray for those involved in #SacredResistance and the #SanctuaryMovement that they may seek to be peacemakers, affect the change they want to see in the world, and become lights to this and the next generation. May they never waiver in their commitment to in the words of the Prophet Micah "Do Justly, Love Mercy, and Walk Humbly with your God!"

Let my people Go!

God we pray that we my help you and stand and rise to the challenge and speak truth to power in the words of Moses!

Let my People Go!

God we pray these prayers as we remember it was you who made us and makes us one and that you have given us free will and freedom. Help us to hear your words "Let My People Go!" and May we help in freedom's struggle and bring this world together in peace, unity, and freedom. We ask this in the name of Jesus our redeemer, friend, and the one who frees us from all ills and bondage. Amen. 

We Live above Nature

We thank thee, O God, for the spiritual nature of man. We are in nature but we live above nature. Help us never to let anybody or any condition to pull us so low as to cause us to hate. Give us strength to love our enemies and to do good to those who despitefully use us and persecute us. We thank thee for thy Church, founded upon thy Word, that challenges us to do more than sing and pray, but go out and work as though the very answer to our prayers depended on us and not upon thee. Then, finally, help us to realize that man was created to shine like stars and live on through all eternity. Keep us, we pray, in perfect peace; help us to walk together, pray together, sing together, and live together until that day when all God’s children, Black, White, Red, and Yellow will rejoice in our common band of humanity in the kingdom of our Lord and of our God, we pray. Amen.



Excerpted from,"Thou, Dear God”: Prayers that Open Hearts and Minds, -Martin Luther King Jr. 

Or these

Prayers for tonight

Dear Lord we pray for an end to all this hate, discrimination that leads to division. Unite us in Love.

We continue to pray for all LGBTQ family members throughout our country and the world that they may be afforded equality, human, and civil rights.

We pray for compassionate immigration reform.

We pray for the lonely, lost, forgotten, and all those who feel down and out cast. 

God make us the examples of how we are to love one another. Give us grace to love even our enemies and to do good to those who hate us.

God soften the hearts of all those in authority that they may be led to do the right thing and establish justice, peace,freedom, and equality through out our land and your world O  God.

God take away all our hurt and replace it with energy to fight injustice where ever we live in your world.

God we ask that you be with all those who have lost loved ones this day. We pray for those who are newly grieving and those who continue in grief's long journey in to new life.

God we pray and Give thanks for Steven who has been found and is Ok. We continue to pray for him and for his parents Sandi and Wayne.

We pray for _______________________

We Give thanks today for___________________

We Celebrate________________

We Remember_______________________

Lord God calm our nerves, anxieties, and anguish when our brothers and sisters are persecuted anywhere.

We pray for Syria and South Sudan and all war torn areas of the world.

We pray for an end of all dangerous weather and pray for the safety of those who live on the East coast.

Lord we lay our prayers, thanksgivings, celebrations, and remembrances at your feet an know that you are already at work accomplishing our requests. We also lay our anxieties, fears, anger and all unhealthy emotions there too.
All this we ask in Your Name O Lord. Amen.

 Canticle B
A Song of Pilgrimage 
Priusquam errarem
Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22
Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.

Canticle H
A Song of Hosea

Hosea 6:1-3
Come, let us return to our God, *
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has struck us and will bind up our wounds, *
after two days revive us,
On the third day restore us, *
that in God’s presence we may live.
Let us humble ourselves, let us strive to know the Lord, *
whose justice dawns like morning light,
its dawning as sure as the sunrise.
God’s justice will come to us like a shower, *
like spring rains that water the earth


The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis

Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


++++++
Good Night Dear Family! I love you! May you rest gentle in God's arms and feel God's presence enfolding you this night and always. I give thanks to God for you this night and always!

With love and with freedom's heart,

Sara

Resources:
Enriching our Worship
Satucket Lectionary Page
GoodReads for Quotes
Beliefnet- Martin Luther King Jr. Prayer

For more information on Frederick Douglass pleas click on this link!



No comments:

Post a Comment