Sunday, April 2, 2017

Hope Retreat Weekend Day 3 :Lazarus, The Valley of Dry Bones, God and Jesus bringing Hope to life!




Good Evening Dear Family of God, Hope, and Love!

Happy 5th Sunday in Lent! If you are in a church that uses the Revised Common Lectionary and you are in Year A, you would have had two powerful lessons on from Ezekiel (The Valley of Dry Bones) and the other from the Gospel of John (The Raising of Lazarus). Both of these lessons are preparing us for what is to come in two weeks ! Yes the celebration of the Resurrection of  our Lord Jesus Christ or as it is commonly known Easter is on its way! No hippity hop hop about it! We see instances where God and Jesus bring Hope to life. Yes Hope was brought to life!  Yesterday we had some fun with the word hope. Today we get to relive these lessons so that you'll see that hope takes on many forms. 

Take time to ponder them as we go through our nightly service of vigil, prayer, and meditation on the lessons. Yes we will have our 40 days of Psalmody too!

 Let us begin with our "Be Stills";

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Let us light our candles and be at prayer. Let us pray for all who have to work on weekends and who have little time for family and self-care. Let us pray for all of our family members who labor in the fields seven days a week because of labor shortage. We pray for the people and nation of Columbia , Pakistan, Syria , Iraq, and all the nations of the world where there are political hot spots and this includes our own. We pray for an end to racism, fear, hatred, and all negative "obias" and "isms". We pray for peace in our hearts, minds, and spirits as we rest this night. We pray that we may join together in the CALM movement where we learn and live as compassionate, accepting, loving, and merciful beings. We pray that we may learn to be the loving and light bearing Family and Children of God to this fragile and broken world.We pray that we may help God bring hope to life for the benefit of all our family members. 






Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Psalm 130

De profundis

1 Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
Lord, hear my voice; *
let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
2 If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss, *
O Lord, who could stand?
3 For there is forgiveness with you; *
therefore you shall be feared.
4 I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him; *
in his word is my hope.
5 My soul waits for the Lord,
more than watchmen for the morning, *
more than watchmen for the morning.
6 O Israel, wait for the Lord, *
for with the Lord there is mercy;
7 With him there is plenteous redemption, *
and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.


Ezekiel 37:1-14

The hand of the Lord came upon me, and he brought me out by the spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me all around them; there were very many lying in the valley, and they were very dry. He said to me, “Mortal, can these bones live?” I answered, “O Lord God, you know.” Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord God to these bones: I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

So I prophesied as I had been commanded; and as I prophesied, suddenly there was a noise, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. I looked, and there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them; but there was no breath in them. Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, mortal, and say to the breath: Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.” I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood on their feet, a vast multitude.

Then he said to me, “Mortal, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are cut off completely.’ Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God: I am going to open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people; and I will bring you back to the land of Israel. And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people. I will put my spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you on your own soil; then you shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken and will act,” says the Lord.

The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever


John 11:1-45

Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. Mary was the one who anointed the Lord with perfume and wiped his feet with her hair; her brother Lazarus was ill. So the sisters sent a message to Jesus, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” But when Jesus heard it, he said, “This illness does not lead to death; rather it is for God’s glory, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.” Accordingly, though Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus, after having heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was.

Then after this he said to the disciples, “Let us go to Judea again.” The disciples said to him, “Rabbi, the Jews were just now trying to stone you, and are you going there again?” Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Those who walk during the day do not stumble, because they see the light of this world. But those who walk at night stumble, because the light is not in them.” After saying this, he told them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I am going there to awaken him.” The disciples said to him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will be all right.” Jesus, however, had been speaking about his death, but they thought that he was referring merely to sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. For your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.” Thomas, who was called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.”

When Jesus arrived, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days. Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, some two miles away, and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them about their brother. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, while Mary stayed at home. Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask of him.” Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” She said to him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world.”

When she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary, and told her privately, “The Teacher is here and is calling for you.” And when she heard it, she got up quickly and went to him. Now Jesus had not yet come to the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. The Jews who were with her in the house, consoling her, saw Mary get up quickly and go out. They followed her because they thought that she was going to the tomb to weep there. When Mary came where Jesus was and saw him, she knelt at his feet and said to him, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her also weeping, he was greatly disturbed in spirit and deeply moved. He said, “Where have you laid him?” They said to him, “Lord, come and see.” Jesus began to weep. So the Jews said, “See how he loved him!” But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?”

Then Jesus, again greatly disturbed, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone was lying against it. Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, already there is a stench because he has been dead four days.” Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?” So they took away the stone. And Jesus looked upward and said, “Father, I thank you for having heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I have said this for the sake of the crowd standing here, so that they may believe that you sent me.” When he had said this, he cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet bound with strips of cloth, and his face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.”

Many of the Jews therefore, who had come with Mary and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him.

Collect of the Day

Almighty God, you alone can bring into order the unruly wills and affections of sinners: Grant your people grace to love what you command and desire what you promise; that, among the swift and varied changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Old Testament

A Song of Faith
1 Peter 1:3-4,18-21
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *
by divine mercy we have a new birth into a living hope;
Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, *
we have an inheritance that is imperishable in heaven.
The ransom that was paid to free us *
was not paid in silver or gold,
But in the precious blood of Christ, *
the Lamb without spot or stain.
God raised Jesus from the dead and gave him glory *
so that we might have faith and hope in God.

40 days of  Psalmody

Second Day: Morning Prayer
9 Confitebor tibi
1 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, with my whole heart; *
I will tell of all your marvelous works.
2 I will be glad and rejoice in you; *
I will sing to your Name, O Most High.
3 When my enemies are driven back, *
they will stumble and perish at your presence.
4 For you have maintained my right and my cause; *
you sit upon your throne judging right.
5 You have rebuked the ungodly and destroyed the wicked; *
you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
6 As for the enemy, they are finished, in perpetual ruin, *
their cities ploughed under, the memory of them perished;
7 But the Lord is enthroned for ever; *
he has set up his throne for judgment.
8 It is he who rules the world with righteousness; *
he judges the peoples with equity.
9 The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed, *
a refuge in time of trouble.
10 Those who know your Name will put their trust in you, *
for you never forsake those who seek you, O Lord.
11 Sing praise to the Lord who dwells in Zion; *
proclaim to the peoples the things he has done.
12 The Avenger of blood will remember them; *
he will not forget the cry of the afflicted.
13 Have pity on me, O Lord; *
see the misery I suffer from those who hate me,
O you who lift me up from the gate of death;
14 So that I may tell of all your praises
and rejoice in your salvation *
in the gates of the city of Zion.
15 The ungodly have fallen into the pit they dug, *
and in the snare they set is their own foot caught.
16 The Lord is known by his acts of justice; *
the wicked are trapped in the works of their own hands.
17 The wicked shall be given over to the grave, *
and also all the peoples that forget God.
18 For the needy shall not always be forgotten, *
and the hope of the poor shall not perish for ever.
19 Rise up, O Lord, let not the ungodly have the upper hand; *
let them be judged before you.
20 Put fear upon them, O Lord; *
let the ungodly know they are but mortal.

10 Ut quid, Domine?

1 Why do you stand so far off, O Lord, *
and hide yourself in time of trouble?
2 The wicked arrogantly persecute the poor, *
but they are trapped in the schemes they have devised.
3 The wicked boast of their heart’s desire; *
the covetous curse and revile the Lord.
4 The wicked are so proud that they care not for God; *
their only thought is, “God does not matter.”
5 Their ways are devious at all times;
your judgments are far above out of their sight; *
they defy all their enemies.
6 They say in their heart, “I shall not be shaken; *
no harm shall happen to me ever.”
7 Their mouth is full of cursing, deceit, and oppression; *
under their tongue are mischief and wrong.
8 They lurk in ambush in public squares
and in secret places they murder the innocent; *
they spy out the helpless.
9 They lie in wait, like a lion in a covert;
they lie in wait to seize upon the lowly; *
they seize the lowly and drag them away in their net.
10 The innocent are broken and humbled before them; *
the helpless fall before their power.
11 They say in their heart, “God has forgotten; *
he hides his face; he will never notice.”
12 Rise up, O Lord;
lift up your hand, O God; *
do not forget the afflicted.
13 Why should the wicked revile God? *
why should they say in their heart, “You do not care”?
14 Surely, you behold trouble and misery; *
you see it and take it into your own hand.
15 The helpless commit themselves to you, *
for you are the helper of orphans.
16 Break the power of the wicked and evil; *
search out their wickedness until you find none.
17 The Lord is King for ever and ever; *
the ungodly shall perish from his land.
18 The Lord will hear the desire of the humble; *
you will strengthen their heart and your ears shall hear;
19 To give justice to the orphan and oppressed, *
so that mere mortals may strike terror no more.

11 In Domino confido

1 In the Lord have I taken refuge; *
how then can you say to me,
“Fly away like a bird to the hilltop;
2 For see how the wicked bend the bow
and fit their arrows to the string, *
to shoot from ambush at the true of heart.
3 When the foundations are being destroyed, *
what can the righteous do?”
4 The Lord is in his holy temple; *
the Lord’s throne is in heaven.
5 His eyes behold the inhabited world; *
his piercing eye weighs our worth.
6 The Lord weighs the righteous as well as the wicked, *
but those who delight in violence he abhors.
7 Upon the wicked he shall rain coals of fire and
burning sulphur; *
a scorching wind shall be their lot.
8 For the Lord is righteous;
he delights in righteous deeds; *
and the just shall see his face.

Second Day: Evening Prayer

12 Salvum me fac

1 Help me, Lord, for there is no godly one left; *
the faithful have vanished from among us.
2 Everyone speaks falsely with his neighbor; *
with a smooth tongue they speak from a double heart.
3 Oh, that the Lord would cut off all smooth tongues, *
and close the lips that utter proud boasts!
4 Those who say, “With our tongue will we prevail; *
our lips are our own; who is lord over us?”
5 “Because the needy are oppressed,
and the poor cry out in misery, *
I will rise up,” says the Lord,
“and give them the help they long for.”
6 The words of the Lord are pure words, *
like silver refined from ore
and purified seven times in the fire.
7 O Lord, watch over us *
and save us from this generation for ever.
8 The wicked prowl on every side, *
and that which is worthless is highly prized by everyone.

13 Usquequo, Domine?

1 How long, O Lord?
will you forget me for ever? *
how long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long shall I have perplexity in my mind,
and grief in my heart, day after day? *
how long shall my enemy triumph over me?
3 Look upon me and answer me, O Lord my God; *
give light to my eyes, lest I sleep in death;
4 Lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,” *
and my foes rejoice that I have fallen.
5 But I put my trust in your mercy; *
my heart is joyful because of your saving help.
6 I will sing to the Lord, for he has dealt with me richly; *
I will praise the Name of the Lord Most High.

14 Dixit insipiens

1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” *
All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
there is none who does any good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon us all, *
to see if there is any who is wise,
if there is one who seeks after God.
3 Every one has proved faithless;
all alike have turned bad; *
there is none who does good; no, not one.
4 Have they no knowledge, all those evildoers *
who eat up my people like bread
and do not call upon the Lord?
5 See how they tremble with fear, *
because God is in the company of the righteous.
6 Their aim is to confound the plans of the afflicted, *
but the Lord is their refuge.
7 Oh, that Israel’s deliverance would come out of Zion! *
when the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.

+++
God we pray that when we find ourselves uncertain, afraid, and at the depths of despair you would help bring hope to life in us.

Bring into our hearts hope, love, joy, and peace  O God.

God we pray for peace in this world and an end to all despair, hatred, violence, bigotry, and injustice. God we pray that you would give us the tools to help bring Hope to life and that peace will prevail upon earth.

Bring into our hearts hope, love, joy, and peace  O God.


God we pray for all who are ill and especially living with a chronic illness that they may find healing and hope. Bring into their bodies, minds, and spirits hope. Bring hope into their lives even when they do not feel well.
Bring into our hearts hope, love, joy, and peace  O God.

God we pray for all of our family members who have asked us for prayer and hope remembering especially______________
Bring into our hearts hope, love, joy, and peace  O God.

God we add our own prayers here___________________________

Bring into our hearts hope, love, joy, and peace  O God.

Or these


God of Light and Love, we pray that we may reflect your light and love to the world and to all of our family members.

God of Light and Love, we pray for the least of these who are on our hearts and minds tonight.

God of Light and Love , we pray for our family members who keep us safe from harm.

God of Light and Love, we pray for the wholeness and wellness of our bodies, minds, and spirits.

God of Light and Love, we pray for our family members with whom there is estrangement.

God of Light and Love, we pray for those who are grieving that with you we may comfort them with love and compassion.

God of Light and Love, we pray for peace in our hearts, homes, nation, and all the troubled places in the world that Justice, love, and mercy may prevail.

God of Light and Love, we pray for all of our family members who are going through struggles with their faith due to issues not of their own choosing.

God of Light and Love, we pray for all who have died and those who are transitioning into the Thin Places.

God of Light and Love, we pray for____________________

God of Light and Love, we give thanks for___________________

God of Light and Love, we lift up these our prayers in the name of your son Jesus. Amen.

or these

Prayers from Two Years ago on Maundy Thursday. These work for anytime.

God we pray that we may love one another as you have commanded us to do and follow your word and example.

God we pray that the love we have for one another is inclusive and accepting of all your children.

God we pray for loving hearts that will bring peace to your fragile and broken world.

God may we love you, ourselves, and our family members in equal measure.

Jesus on that night of the Last Supper you called us friends may we all be united in a holy friendship.

Jesus may this friendship be founded upon love, harmony, and reside in our heart homes.

Jesus, may we never be afraid to make new and everlasting friendships.

Jesus we thank you for instituting the first Thanksgiving( Eucharist) as a reminder that we are one body in you.

Jesus we pray that we may ever be Thankful and be reminded that we need to put on an attitude of gratitude and practice random acts of kindness.

Jesus we add our own prayers and thanksgivings especially______________________

God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit unite us and all our family members in the Breaking of Bread.

God, Jesus and Holy Spirit may we eat of the living bread and feel the water of life coursing
 through our veins.

[God , Jesus, and Holy Spirit awaken our hearts that we may keep watch tonight in the Garden of Gethsemane.]

We pray these prayers in the name of Jesus. Amen

God Is Our Hope

God is our hope and strength, 
a very present help in trouble. 

Therefore will we not fear, though the earth be moved, 
and though the hills be carried into the midst of the sea; 

Though the waters thereof rage and swell, 
and though the mountains shake at the tempest of the same. 

There is a river, the streams whereof make glad the city of God, 
the holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
-- Book of Common Prayer 1979

Prayer of Hope

- Christina G. Rossetti (1830-1895)

O Lord, in Whom is our hope, remove far from us, we pray Thee, empty hopes and presumptuous confidence. Make our hearts so right with Thy most holy and loving heart, that hoping in Thee we may do good; until that day when faith and hope shall be abolished by sight and possession, and love shall be all in all.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)

+++++

Good night dear Ones ! I love you and Give God thanks for you this day and always!  Have a restful and peaceful night. 

With love and hope,

Sara

Blogs from this Weekend's retreat.

Time for our Weekend of Hope Retreat


Hope Retreat Weekend Day 2 : Hope-ercise a lesson in bringing hope to life.


Calming scriptures

Ecclesiastes 3:1–11

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

What gain have the workers from their toil? I have seen the business that God has given to everyone to be busy with. He has made everything suitable for its time; moreover, he has put a sense of past and future into their minds, yet they cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.


Matthew 5:1–12

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. 
“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy. 
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.


We lift up these our prayers and concerns to you O God in Jesus mot holy name. Amen.



Resources:
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1997



No comments:

Post a Comment