Friday, June 29, 2018

Time to feed our spirits and lay down all our worries and place ourselves in the arms of God







Good Evening Beloved Ones!




Happy Friday and Retreat Weekend. It is time once again to feed our spirits and lay down all our worries and place ourselves in the arms of God who is Love. This has been quite a week for all of us and we have taken a beating emotionally, physically, and spiritually. As I walked to church today I stopped by the agriculture unit at Santa Maria High and visited the pens that housed Hen Turkeys, Baby Turkeys, and Goats. They were resting and that reminded me that we all need times of holy rest. That is what we are going to be doing this weekend. Does that mean we won't be walking? Not at all. It just means we each need to set our priorities in the right order. Tonight let us do just that.

Here is a song by Thich Nhat Hanh that will give us instructions:




Breathing In, Breathing Out — Thich Nhat Hanh

Breathing in, breathing out (2x)

I am blooming as a flower, I am fresh as the dew.
I am solid like a mountain, I am firm as the earth.
I am free.

Breathing in, breathing out (2x)
I am water reflecting what is real, what is true,
And I feel there is space deep inside of me
I am free, I am free, I am free.








Tonight we light our candles in memory of the 5 journalists who were killed in Annapolis yesterday:

IF YOU SPEAK MY NAME, I WILL LIVE FOREVER."
We speak the names of:

Wendi Winters
Rebecca Smith
Rob Hiaasen
John McNamara
Gerald Fischman

and we honor and remember the Martyrs of the LGBTQIA Rights Movements (Courtesy Brother K)

Blessed Marsha P Johnson,
Blessed Silvia Rivera,
Blessed Witnesses of Stonewall,
Blessed Witnesses of Compton's Cafeteria,
Blessed Martyrs of the Upstairs Lounge,
Blessed Martyrs of Pulse,
pray for us...


   


The photo above is an ofrenda to one of our shooting victims here in town. I attended the vigil on my birthday December 8, 2017. This is now our vigil ofrenda for times such as these.

A Litany for Gun Violence (EPN-National General Convention 78, 2015)

Leader: We stand before this Wall of Injustice remembering all who have been harmed by gun violence, both intended and accidental. We lament that an American child is 12 times more likely to die by a bullet than are the children living in all twenty-five other industrialized nations combined. We acknowledge the deep pain and grief in our communities and nation. Will you commit to tear down the walls that divide us, and build-up the one human family, grounded in nonviolence, justice and love?

People: We will with God’s help.

Leader: We stand before this Wall of Injustice remembering all perpetrators and the families of those who commit acts of gun violence. We acknowledge that their lives are also devastated and their hopes dashed. For their sake and ours, will you pray for healing of the pain radiating from every act of violence?

People: We will, with God’s help.

Leader: We stand before this Wall of Injustice, united in our grief for the violent deaths of over 30,000 Americans by gunfire each year. Will you commit to prayer, study and action, ever hopeful that repentance and transformation will move us forward toward God’s peaceable kingdom?

People: We will, with God’s help.

His gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, for the equipment of the saints, for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ. Ephesians 4:11,12

The righteous will be remembered for ever: the memory of the righteous is a blessing.

Psalm 112:6; Proverbs 10:7

You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but citizens together with the saints and members of the household of God. Ephesians 2:19

By God’s power Paul was made an apostle to the gentiles, just as Peter was made an apostle to the Jews.Galatians 2:8 (adapted)



Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi




O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *

hear my voice when I cry to you.

Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *

the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,

and guard the door of my lips; *

let not my heart incline to any evil thing.

My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *

in you I take refuge.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


87 Fundamenta ejus


1 On the holy mountain stands the city he has founded; *
the Lord loves the gates of Zion
more than all the dwellings of Jacob.

2 Glorious things are spoken of you, *
O city of our God.

3 I count Egypt and Babylon among those who know me; *
behold Philistia, Tyre, and Ethiopia:
in Zion were they born.

4 Of Zion it shall be said, "Everyone was born in her, *
and the Most High himself shall sustain her."

5 The Lord will record as he enrolls the peoples, *
"These also were born there."

6 The singers and the dancers will say, *
"All my fresh springs are in you."


Ezekiel 34:11-16
God the True Shepherd

11 For thus says the Lord God: I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out. 12As shepherds seek out their flocks when they are among their scattered sheep, so I will seek out my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. 13I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited parts of the land. 14I will feed them with good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel shall be their pasture; there they shall lie down in good grazing land, and they shall feed on rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. 15I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I will make them lie down, says the Lord God. 16I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice.





A Song of the Heavenly City

Revelation 21:22-26, 22:1-4




I saw no temple in the city, *

for its temple is the God of surpassing strength and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon to light it, *

for the glory of God shines on it, and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk, *

and the rulers of the world lay their honor and glory there.

Its gates shall never be shut by day, nor shall there be any night; *

into it they will bring the honor and glory of nations.

I saw the clean river of the water of life, bright as crystal, *

flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

The tree of life spanned the river, giving fruit every month, *

and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of nations.

All curses cease where the throne of God and the Lamb stands,

and all servants give worship there; *

there they will see God’s face, whose Name shall be on their foreheads.



Come By Here (From We Rise; A Movement Song Book)

(Kumbaya)

Come by here my lord, come by here

Come by here my lord,

come by here

Come by here my lord,

come by here

Oh, lord, come by here


Somebody’s crying lord, come by here

Somebody’s praying lord,

come by here

Send us your spirit lord,

come by here

When we are gathered lord,

come by here

When we are hurting lord,

come by here

Somebody’s singing lord,

come by here



2 Timothy 4:1-8


4In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I solemnly urge you: 2proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favourable or unfavourable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching. 3For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, 4and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths. 5As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, carry out your ministry fully.

6 As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,

my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *

for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed: *

you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,

and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you *

from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm *

and scattered the proud in their conceit,

Casting down the mighty from their thrones *

and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things *

and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *

for you have remembered your promise of mercy,

The promise made to our forebears, *

to Abraham and his children for ever.



(There’s) Honey in the Rock — Trad.? (From Folkish songs for worship)

As learned from Nick Page. The chorus from Alice Wine of Johns Island, South Carolina. Verses from Nick and oral tradition.

Refrain:
There’s honey in the rock, for all God’s children,
Honey in the rock, honey in the rock.
There’s honey in the rock, for all God’s children,
Feed every child of God.

Verses:

Cho.: There’s honey in the rock for all God’s children,
Honey in the rock, honey in the rock,
There’s honey in the rock for all God’s children,
Feed every child of God.

1. Hypocrite, hypocrite, God despise,
Tongue so sweet yet s/he still tells lies

2. When I’m happy I’ll shout and sing! (Feed every child of God.)
Make the earth and heavens ring! (Feed every child of God.)

2. Heart to heart, and hand to hand,
Together we’ll push to the promised land.

3. We can have justice if we care,
Right is right and fair is fair.

4. One of these days about twelve o’clock,
this ol’ world’s gonna reel and rock.

5. If chains hold us down, gotta break the lock,
Then we’ll taste sweet honey in the rock.



John 21:15-19



Jesus and Peter

15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.’ 16A second time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Tend my sheep.’17He said to him the third time, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ And he said to him, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep. 18Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.’ 19(He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, ‘Follow me.’




We Praise You, O God Te Deum laudamus

We praise you, O God,

we acclaim you as Lord;

all creation worships you,

the Father everlasting.

To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,

the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,

heaven and earth are full of your glory.

The glorious company of apostles praise you.

The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.

The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.

Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:

Father, of majesty unbounded,

your true and only Son, worthy of all worship,

and the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.

You, Christ, are the king of glory,

the eternal Son of the Father.

When you took our flesh to set us free

you humbly chose the Virgin’s womb.

You overcame the sting of death

and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.

You are seated at God’s right hand in glory.

We believe that you will come to be our judge.

Come then, Lord, and help your people,

bought with the price of your own blood,

and bring us with your saints

to glory everlasting.

Listen, Listen, Listen — Paramahansa Yogananda

Listen, listen, listen to my heart’s song,
Listen, listen, listen to my heart’s song,
I will never forget you, I will never forsake you,
I will never forget you, I will never forsake you.

Collects for the Feast Day of Saints Peter and Paul from (A New Zealand Prayer Book)

Almighty God
we thank you for your servants Peter and Paul,
leaders of your Church and martyrs for your name;
fill us like them with your Spirit
that we may follow in the way of Jesus Christ
who endured the cross,
despising the shame,
and is at your right hand,
now and for ever.

God of the new and the old,
we praise you for Peter and Paul,
for the Church their leadership has established,
and for all we have received from them;
grant that we, like them,
may recognise our moment when it comes
and choose for you.

God of grace,
your Church is built on Peter’s faith;
grant that we, like him, forgiven and restored,
may overcome our weakness
and serve you without wavering,
now and for ever.




God of all love we come together tonight to accept your call to light our candles and pray. We pray this night to be loving towards one another. We pray this night for guidance in how we can best serve you in the world. We pray that we may be more giving of ourselves to others. We pray that we may be able to be hopeful and hope-filled to this fragile and broken world. We pray that we may shine your light and help people out of the dark places they find themselves in. We pray that we may be supportive in what ever decisions people make, We pray for the least of these who struggle with the day to day issues of living. We pray that everyone will be lovingly included and not excluded and invisible. We pray that we may be peacemakers and children of God. We pray that we may "Strive for justice, and respect the dignity of every human being"* We pray that we may build bridges and tear down walls. We pray for the courage to speak truth to power. We pray for an end to hatred, violence and terror. We pray that we may use our voices not to hurt but to heal. We pray this night that we all may be one and that we may continue to pray for_________, and all places where terror and violence have occurred even when the media fails to report it. May we all be one with those who mourn and stand vigil for the peace of the world and in the places where there is danger. God we lift up these prayers to you with hurting hearts, open hands up lifted, with loving care and voices. Amen.


There is a balm in Gilead


Full Text
Refrain:
There is a balm in Gilead to make the wounded whole, there is a balm in Gilead to heal the sin-sick soul.

Sometimes I feel discouraged and think my work's in vain, but then the Holy Spirit revives my soul again. Refrain

2 If you cannot preach like Peter, if you cannot pray like Paul, you can tell the love of Jesus and say, "He died for all." Refrain 

Close your eyes and repeat the word peace until you feel relaxed and ready for prayer.

God is Love and where true love is,God himself is there!
God is Love and where true love is God himself is.
God is Love and where true love is God
God is Love and where true love is.
God is Love

Be still and know that God is Love.
Be still and know that God is.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be

Ubi Caritas

Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez


God is Love and where true love is,God himself is there!

"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen

 A Smudging Prayer
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. 
We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


 

Dear Jesus may we become transformed and transfigured to do your will and that we may walk as children of the light.


Jesus, may we always be able to feel your presence wherever we are and may we always recognize Your gentle tap on our shoulder or butterfly in the stomach or a joy-filled heart.


Jesus, feed us each day with the Bread of Heaven and may we drink from the Waters of Eternal life that continually hydrates us.


Jesus, may we continually have our eyes fixed on you and follow the path that you have set for us in our daily life.


Jesus, may we see you in all of our family members who may not be the ones we have met yet. We pray for all refugees, strangers, captives. political prisoners, those who seek to divide, those who hate, those who are not able to see or move past the phobias, and isms.


Jesus, we pray for peace in the world where there seems to be a lack of it. We pray for peace in Your homeland and wherever there is a lack of peace.


Jesus, may we ever be grateful for all the blessings of this life an give thanks with an overflowing heart.


Jesus, we pray for________________


Jesus, help us to have each other's backs and love more fully each and every breath that we take.


Jesus, help us to be your hands, feet, voices, in the world to serve and help heal the least of these.


May we always remember those who have lost loved ones and that we may come to their aid with love, compassion, and comfort.


We lay these our prayers at the feet of Jesus the Christ our Redeemer. Amen.


Settings of the Lord's Prayer as found in A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

or the alternative form.

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind, in the waves, and in our hearts
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind,in  the waves.
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind.
Be still and hear the whisper of God.
Be still and hear the whisper.
Be still and hear.
Be still.
Be.

For the Human Family
O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.(BCP)

The Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

In your presence O God, we come together as one family of love. Give us courage to lay down the weaponry of hate and find common ground.

In your presence O God, take all the gunk in our lives that prevent us from truly serving you and the least of these.

In your presence O God, give us courage to discern where you are sending us and help us to respond accordingly with "Here I am send me"!

In your presence  O God, make us truly the Beloved Community intent upon serving you and our family members with CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) 

In your presence O God, help us to stand fast and ready to speak truth to power and seek out ways to be the change you want to see in the world.

In your presence O God, may we feel and know your love for us so that we may serve others. 

In your presence O God, we offer these our prayers________________________________

In your presence O God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of your only begotten Son Jesus. Amen.


We close our vigil with these prayers:

The Woke Prayers of St. Francis
Help us O God to be woke!
Woke as your peacemakers, change makers, heart changers, and love energy bringers!
Woke to the hatred so that we may sow seeds of love.
Woke to the injury so that we may heal the hurt and cease the harm.
Woke to the divisiveness that we may be eager to heal and unite as one neighborhood and family.
Woke to uncertainty that will lead us to be renewed in faith.
Woke to the despair of all our neighbors so that we may sow seeds of radical hope, love, hospitality, and inclusion.
Woke to the knowledge that we are God's beloved children. Help us to be woke to sing the words of  "Light One Candle"
LIGHT ONE CANDLE
Peter Yarrow
Light one candle for the Maccabee children
With thanks that their light didn't die
Light one candle for the pain they endured
When their right to exist was denied
Light one candle for the terrible sacrifice
Justice and freedom demand
But light one candle for the wisdom to know
When the peacemaker's time is at hand

chorus:
Don't let the light go out!
It's lasted for so many years!
Don't let the light go out!
Let it shine through our love and our tears.

Light one candle for the strength that we need
To never become our own foe
And light one candle for those who are suffering
Pain we learned so long ago
Light one candle for all we believe in
That anger not tear us apart
And light one candle to bind us together
With peace as the song in our hearts

(chorus)

What is the memory that's valued so highly
That we keep it alive in that flame?
What's the commitment to those who have died
That we cry out they've not died in vain?
We have come this far always believing
That justice would somehow prevail
This is the burden, this is the promise
This is why we will not fail!

(chorus)

Don't let the light go out!
Don't let the light go out!
Don't let the light go out!

Help us to be woke enough not to think of ourselves being the comforted, help us be the comforters and wounded healers.

Help not to be know it alls and be woke to understand what is plaguing our inner beings, neighbors, neighborhoods, the least of these, our family members.

God wake us up to be Woke to your agape love so that we may love everything that you have made. Wake us to be Woke to Radical Love, Hospitality, and inclusion.

Help us to know that being truly woke means being open to radical and random acts of kindness and giving. Where the giver is given and receives much by acts of giving.

Help us to be woke enough to forgive and then find ourselves being actually forgiven 
God Wake us Up to Be Woke to know that death isn't the end but only the beginning of a new birth in your heavenly Kindom. Amen and let it be so!


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis (BCP)
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21



Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)




+++++

Good Night Dear Family. I love you! Have a blessed rest. Hear the words of Pauli Murray and Henri Nouwen:
"True community is based on upon equality, mutuality, and reciprocity. It affirms the richness of individual diversity as well as the common human ties that bind us together." 

"Hope is a song in a weary throat." - Pauli Murray

"Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish. Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human." - Henri Nouwen

"When I trust deeply that today God is truly with me and holds me safe in a divine embrace, guiding every one of my steps I can let go of my anxious need to know how tomorrow will look, or what will happen next month or next year. I can be fully where I am and pay attention to the many signs of God's love within me and around me." - Henri Nouwen


With love and blessings with a heart on fire with love energy to continue in God's service,

Sara

Today's Feast Day Info  St. Peter and St. Paul

Resources
Enriching Our Worship
Book of Common Prayer on Line
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
In Lak 'Ech- Luis Valdez
Walk With Me On Our Journey
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Other Resources as Noted
Oremus Bible Browser






Something to celebrate! We have gone over 440,114 pageviews All time history and in one month Walk With Me On Our Journey will celebrate 5 years. Also today is my 90th day in a row walking since Maundy Thursday on March 29, 2018. Only one driving day in the mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment