Saturday, December 30, 2017

Our penultimate end of the year blog : Our retreat and vigil edition with a pledge for 2018






Good Evening Beloved Community!

Happy Eve of New Years Eve!  Here lies our opportunity to begin to let go of this year and set our "our faces like flint" into a new year to come. What are things from this year you would like to keep?
Lessons learned? What opportunities have been squandered ? Where are we going?  There's a song from Godspell, that I think sings to this very moment perfectly albeit it takes a turn and reminds of Jesus' last days on Earth. 

By My Side


JEAN PAUL SARTRE]
Where are you going?
Where are you going?
Can you take me with you?
For my hand is cold
And needs warmth
Where are you going?
Far beyond where the horizon lies
[SOCRATES AND JEAN PAUL SARTRE]
Where the horizon lies
And the land sinks into mellow blueness
Oh please, take me with you
Let me skip the road with you
I can dare myself
I can dare myself
I'll put a pebble in my shoe
And watch me walk (watch me walk)
I can walk
[CHORUS]
I can walk!
[SOCRATES AND JEAN PAUL SARTRE]
I shall call the pebble Dare
I shall call the pebble Dare
We will walk, we will talk together
We will talk
[CHORUS]
About walking Dare shall be carried
[CHORUS]
And when we both have had enough
I will take him from my shoe, singing
[CHORUS]
"Meet your new road!"
[SOCRATES AND JEAN PAUL SARTRE]
Then I'll take your hand
Finally glad
[CHORUS]
Finally glad
[SOCRATES AND JEAN PAUL SARTRE]
That I am here
By your side (By my side)
[SOCRATES AND JEAN PAUL SARTRE AND CHORUS]
By your side (by my side)
By your side (by my side)
By your side (by my side)
By your side (by my side)
[JUDAS (Matt. 26:14-16)]
[spoken]
Then the man they called Judas Iscariot
Went to the chief priests,
and said "What will you give me to betray
Him to you?" They paid him thirty pieces of silver.
And from that moment,
he began to look out for an opportunity
To betray Him.

Stephen Schwartz, Jay Hamburger

+++++
Here at Walk With Me on Our Journey, we walk into this new year together as one family with our feet set on the holy path of  compassion, acceptance, love, mercy, peace, and justice. We never walk or are alone. As we do every year on this date I make this solemn pledge to you as your blogger and we pledge ourselves as the Beloved Community to do the following:

As we begin another year let us make a pledge one to another this day as we prepare to begin anew:
A pledge as we enter a new year!
Dear Family of love,
I promise to myself and you my family members in 2018 to do these things for the benefit of all.
Love God,My Neighbor who is also my family member who may be nearby, far away and yes even my enemy, and myself without fear but with love.
Forgive and let go so that I may experience the healing of my heart home.
Love my enemies and those who have wished and caused me harm so that I may be at peace.
Practice random acts of kindness without accepting anything in return.
To be more giving, more of a listener, more patient when needed, more, more, more.
Be a peacemaker who carries the light of Christ in to God's Fragile and Broken World.
Be a conservationist for the good of God's Cathedral of life.
Care for all our family members with love, empathy, and compassion.
Continue to work towards the unity and peace of all our brothers and sisters.
Additional promises may be made as we go through the year.
This is my promise made with love, joy, hope, and peace this day December 30, 2017
Signed
Sara

So let us spend time in silence meditate upon the following:

Our theme is letting go of the old and inviting in the new.


When you are ready please return here and join with me in tonight's sacred healing circle of love and make vigil and pray. 


Let us engage in our centering exercises:

Inhale
Hold
Exhale
Pause

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Inhale
Hold
Exhale
Pause

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Inhale
Hold
Exhale
Pause

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and
truth. John 1:14


Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Rossiter W. Raymond

Behold, I bring you good news of a great joy, which will come 
to all the people; for unto you is born this day in the city of 
David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.    Luke 2:10, 11

Behold, the dwelling of God is with mankind. He will dwell 
with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will 
be with them, and be their God.    Revelation 21:3




Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.






Image result for Candlelight Memorial







We continue to hold sacred space for all who mourn  in this healing circle of love: We continue to remember and as in the African Proverb: 
"IF YOU SPEAK MY NAME, I WILL LIVE FOREVER."

We speak these names before you this night: Zelda, Jennifer, Leann, Joy, Erica Garner and all others whom we name before you now.

Help us to remember this as we pray and make vigil tonight:

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.

You are my other me.

Si te hago daño a ti,

If I do harm to you,

Me hago daño a mi mismo.

I do harm to myself.

Si te amo y respeto,

If I love and respect you,

Me amo y respeto yo.

I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez


Image result for in lak'ech

Let us prepare to let go and let God as we put away this year and look towards the next, by praying this prayer:

A Smudging Prayer
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.
Amen.



Image result for Native American Smudging Ritual



23 Dominus regit me

1 The Lord is my shepherd; *
I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures *
and leads me beside still waters.

3 He revives my soul *
and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.

4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no evil; *
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; *
you have anointed my head with oil,
and my cup is running over.

6 Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, *
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


27 Dominus illuminatio

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom then shall I fear? *
the Lord is the strength of my life;
of whom then shall I be afraid?

2 When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh, *
it was they, my foes and my adversaries, who
stumbled and fell.

3 Though an army should encamp against me, *
yet my heart shall not be afraid;

4 And though war should rise up against me, *
yet will I put my trust in him.

5 One thing have I asked of the Lord;
one thing I seek; *
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life;

6 To behold the fair beauty of the Lord *
and to seek him in his temple.

7 For in the day of trouble he shall keep me safe in his shelter; *
he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
and set me high upon a rock.

8 Even now he lifts up my head *
above my enemies round about me.

9 Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
with sounds of great gladness; *
I will sing and make music to the Lord.

10 Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call; *
have mercy on me and answer me.

11 You speak in my heart and say, "Seek my face." *
Your face, Lord, will I seek.

12 Hide not your face from me, *
nor turn away your servant in displeasure.

13 You have been my helper;
cast me not away; *
do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.

14 Though my father and my mother forsake me, *
the Lord will sustain me.

15 Show me your way, O Lord; *
lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.

16 Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries, *
for false witnesses have risen up against me,
and also those who speak malice.

17 What if I had not believed
that I should see the goodness of the Lord *
in the land of the living!

18 O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
be strong, and he shall comfort your heart; *
wait patiently for the Lord.



1 Kings 17:17-24
17 After this the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, became ill; his illness was so severe that there was no breath left in him. 18She then said to Elijah, ‘What have you against me, O man of God? You have come to me to bring my sin to remembrance, and to cause the death of my son!’ 19But he said to her, ‘Give me your son.’ He took him from her bosom, carried him up into the upper chamber where he was lodging, and laid him on his own bed. 20He cried out to the Lord, ‘O Lord my God, have you brought calamity even upon the widow with whom I am staying, by killing her son?’ 21Then he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried out to the Lord, ‘O Lord my God, let this child’s life come into him again.’ 22The Lord listened to the voice of Elijah; the life of the child came into him again, and he revived. 23Elijah took the child, brought him down from the upper chamber into the house, and gave him to his mother; then Elijah said, ‘See, your son is alive.’ 24So the woman said to Elijah, ‘Now I know that you are a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in your mouth is truth.’

The First Song of Isaiah    Ecce, Deus
         Isaiah 12:2-6

Surely, it is God who saves me; *
    I will trust in him and not be afraid.
For the Lord is my stronghold and my sure defense, *
    and he will be my Savior.
Therefore you shall draw water with rejoicing *
    from the springs of salvation.
And on that day you shall say, *
    Give thanks to the Lord and call upon his Name;
Make his deeds known among the peoples; *
    see that they remember that his Name is exalted.
Sing the praises of the Lord, for he has done great things, *
    and this is known in all the world.
Cry aloud, inhabitants of Zion, ring out your joy, *
    for the great one in the midst of you is the Holy One of Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.



John 7:53-8:11
Then each of them went home, while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him and he sat down and began to teach them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, they said to him, ‘Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?’ They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, ‘Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.’ And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground.* When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus straightened up and said to her, ‘Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?’ She said, ‘No one, sir.’* And Jesus said, ‘Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.’]]*


The Song of Mary    Magnificat 

Luke 1:46-55 

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; *
    for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. 
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
    the Almighty has done great things for me,
    and holy is his Name. 
He has mercy on those who fear him *
    in every generation. 
He has shown the strength of his arm, *
    he has scattered the proud in their conceit. 
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, *
    and has lifted up the lowly. 
He has filled the hungry with good things, *
    and the rich he has sent away empty. 
He has come to the help of his servant Israel, *
    for he has remembered his promise of mercy, 
The promise he made to our fathers, *
    to Abraham and his children for ever. 

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen. 

Merciful God,  who raised up your servant Frances Joseph-Gaudet to work for prison reform and the education of her people: Grant that we, encouraged by  the example of her life, may work for those who are denied the fullness of life by reasons of incarceration and lack of access to education ; through Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen

Almighty God, you have given your only-begotten Son to
take our nature upon him, and to be born  of a pure
virgin: Grant that we, who have been born again and made
your children by adoption and grace, may daily be renewed
by your Holy Spirit; through our Lord Jesus Christ, to whom
with you and the same Spirit be honor and glory, now and
for ever. Amen.

Almighty God, you have poured upon us the new light of
your incarnate Word: Grant that this light, enkindled in our
hearts, may shine forth in our lives; through Jesus Christ our
Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy
Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.



Holy God we pray for the forgiveness of  our misdeeds and sins as we forgive those who have hurt us . Help us to learn to ask for forgiveness and be forgiving so that there may be peace and healing in our heart homes.

Holy God we pray that we may let go of the many things that may linger in our heart homes from the past year so that we my find peace.

Holy God we pray that all warring factions may lay down their weaponry and practice peace and learn to love.

Holy God we pray for all God's children who are in harms way this night.

Holy God we pray for all homeless, hungry, and  those who do not have good clothing who will not find shelter from the cold tonight.

Holy God we pray for all who are ill and in need of healing. We  pray for peace in their hearts while they await your healing.



For all cities in our country  and around the world, who are experiencing unrest. We pray for an end to all gun violence and  hate of any kind.
For those who are traveling this holiday season.
For families where there is division.
For our additional prayers and thanksgivings______________________________________
For those suffering from Mental illness and depression this time of year.
For all caregivers.

Holy God we lay these our prayers at the feet  and in the Name of  your only son Jesus who came to show us how to forgive, love, and care for all God's children. Amen


Or these:



God of Love come among us as we pray this night.

God of Love come to our hearts and fill them more fully with hope, joy, love, and peace.

God of Love help us to bring to this fragile and broken world a climate of love, forgiveness, and the indwelling of the fruits of the Spirit to all people. Help us to call to mind these fruits: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 

God of Love, We pray for the least of these this night at home and around the world. 

God of Love, we pray for those who are ill and who are in need of proper medical care, and the patience to await the healing you are bringing them.

God of Love, Take away from us the need to speak when we need to listen with the ears of our hearts, and not to seek to reply but understand.

God of Love, help us to become the peacemakers and children you are calling us to be.

God of Love, give us the courage in the words of the Prophet Micah "To do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God"

God of Love, we pray for an end to all forms of hateful division and anger towards those who differ from us. 

God of Love, we pray that we will live out the words of Teresa of Avila in her famous prayer 


“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”



God of Love, give us courage to live out and listen to your words you spoke through you son Jesus on the sermon on the Mount.
Matthew 5:1-12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
The Beatitudes
5 When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

God of Love, help us to acknowledge our dependence upon you and each other. Help us to build bridges and tear down walls of division and hatred. 

God of Love, give us strength to live each day without fear of those who differ from us and gather the strength to find common ground in Love for one another. 

God of Love we pray for___________________

God of Love we pray and ask for the forgiveness of our sins this day as we call them to mind____________

God  of Love, we pray and give thanks for___________________

God of Love, we lay these prayers in the arms of your beloved son Jesus Christ. Amen.

May the God of peace, who brought again from the dead our
Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of
the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you
may do his will, working in you that which is pleasing in his
sight; through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and
ever.    Hebrews 13:20-21


Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or
weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who
sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless
the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the
joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.



To make a creative contribution to this world
O God, we thank you for the lives of great saints and prophets in the past, who have revealed to us that we can stand up amid the problems and difficulties and trials of life and not give in. We thank you for our foreparents, who've given us something in the midst of the darkness of exploitation and oppression to keep going. Grant that we will go on with the proper faith and the proper determination of will, so that we will be able to make a creative contribution to this world. In the name and spirit of Jesus we pray.  - Martin Luther King Jr.




The Song of Simeon Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.(Source Celtic)

Current Blogs for Prayers and Vigils:







Good Night Beloved Ones!  love you and give God thanks for you this night and always! May peace be upon you all and give you  all a restful and refreshing sleep.

With hope, joy, love, and peace,

Sara


++++


Resources:
Satucket -Lectionary Page
BCPONLINE
Enriching Our Worship
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
In Lak Ech- Luis Valdez
Guideposts - Prayers of Martin Luther King Jr. 
Walk With Me On Our Journey
YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment