Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Taking time out for lessons from Thomas a' Kempis! Good reminders for us all!









Good Evening Beloved Community!

Happy National Self-Care Day or Take Care Tuesday! Wow! I can't believe that it is Tuesday the 24th of July and Walk With Me On Our Journey is almost 5 years old and will begin year 6 on Sunday! Remember when it began and it didn't have direction until God wanted prayer walking, blogging, and this community? I do! God keeps showing us how important being in a loving and inclusive community can be, no, must be.  Today is the feast day of St. Thomas a' Kempis and he really has many wonderful things to say to us. So let us begin by meditating upon these 4 quotes and then join together in a circle of love, healing, and prayer.




"Habit is overcome by habit." - Thomas a Kempis

"If you carry your cross joyfully, it will carry you." - Thomas a Kempis

"First keep peace with yourself, then you can also bring peace to others." - Thomas a Kempis

"To say that I am made in the image of God is to say that love is the reason for my existence, for God is love." - Thomas a Kempis


Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, the lifting
up of my hands as the evening sacrifice. Psalm 141:2

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and from the
Lord Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:2

Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness; let the whole earth
tremble before him. Psalm 96:9


O Gracious Light Phos hilaron

O gracious Light,
pure brightness of the everliving Father in heaven,
O Jesus Christ, holy and blessed!
Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing your praises, O God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
You are worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, O Giver of life,
and to be glorified through all the worlds.


Let us open up our heart homes and pray with God's love energy. Let us light our Candles and pray with joy and light.


God we open up our heart homes and light our candles and pray with love. We pray that we may love our family members deeply, broadly, unconditionally with hope, joy, peace, and love energy. We pray for an end to indifference, hatred, violence, and division. We pray that we may re-educate ourselves to practice radical hospitality, attitudes of gratitude, random acts of kindness, and that we may do in the words of the Prophet Micah- "To do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God" We pray that we may focus our lives towards the loving care and in service to the least of these. We pray with loving hearts for our family members who have lost their lives in acts of terror of all kinds. We pray that we may light our candles in solidarity and love for those who are mourning and struggling with life's dark times. We pray that we may be light shiners, love givers, joy bringers, hope bearers, and peace makers. We light our candles as we pray for those things that are heavy on our hearts and lay them on the broad and loving shoulders of God Amen. 



“Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of its trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse for impossibility, for it thinks all things are lawful for itself and all things are possible” 
― Thomas à Kempis






“Wherever you go, there you are.” 
― Thomas à KempisThe Imitation of Christ



 


 Psalm 33 Exultate, justi

1 Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous; *
it is good for the just to sing praises.

2 Praise the Lord with the harp; *
play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.

3 Sing for him a new song; *
sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.

4 For the word of the Lord is right, *
and all his works are sure.

5 He loves righteousness and justice; *
the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.

6 By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, *
by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.

7 He gathers up the waters of the ocean as in a water-skin *
and stores up the depths of the sea.

8 Let all the earth fear the Lord; *
let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.

9 For he spoke, and it came to pass; *
he commanded, and it stood fast.

10 The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught; *
he thwarts the designs of the peoples.

11 But the Lord's will stands fast for ever, *
and the designs of his heart from age to age.

12 Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord! *
happy the people he has chosen to be his own!

13 The Lord looks down from heaven, *
and beholds all the people in the world.

14 From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze *
on all who dwell on the earth.

15 He fashions all the hearts of them *
and understands all their works.

16 There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army; *
a strong man is not delivered by his great strength.

17 The horse is a vain hope for deliverance; *
for all its strength it cannot save.

18 Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear him, *
on those who wait upon his love,

19 To pluck their lives from death, *
and to feed them in time of famine.

20 Our soul waits for the Lord; *
he is our help and our shield.

21 Indeed, our heart rejoices in him, *
for in his holy Name we put our trust.

22 Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us, *
as we have put our trust in you.

"O Lord, Thou knowest that which is best for us; let this or that be done, as Thou shalt please. Give what Thou wilt, how much Thou wilt, and when Thou wilt. Deal with me as thou thinkest best. Place me where Thou wilt, and deal with me in all things just as Thou wilt. Behold, I am Thy servant, prepared for all things: I desire not to live unto myself, but unto Thee; and oh, that I could do it worthily and perfectly!" - Thomas a Kempis

Ecclesiastes 9:11-18

11 Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favour to the skilful; but time and chance happen to them all. 12For no one can anticipate the time of disaster. Like fish taken in a cruel net, and like birds caught in a snare, so mortals are snared at a time of calamity, when it suddenly falls upon them.
13 I have also seen this example of wisdom under the sun, and it seemed important to me. 14There was a little city with few people in it. A great king came against it and besieged it, building great siege-works against it. 15Now there was found in it a poor, wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city. Yet no one remembered that poor man. 16So I said, ‘Wisdom is better than might; yet the poor man’s wisdom is despised, and his words are not heeded.’ 
17 The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded
   than the shouting of a ruler among fools. 
18 Wisdom is better than weapons of war,
   but one bungler destroys much good.

"Blessed is the pilgrim, who in every place, and at all times of this his banishment in the body, calling upon the holy name of Jesus, calleth to mind his native heavenly land, where his blessed Master, the King of saints and angels, waiteth to receive him. Blessed is the pilgrim who seeketh not an abiding place unto himself in this world; but longeth to be dissolved, and be with Christ in heaven." - Thomas a Kempis

A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away


Ephesians 4:32-5:2

32and be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.* 51Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, 2and live in love, as Christ loved us* and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.


"Never be entirely idle; but either be reading, or writing, or praying or meditating or endeavoring something for the public good." - Thomas a Kempis

"Love is a mighty power,
 a great and complete good.
 Love alone lightens every burden, and makes rough places smooth.
 It bears every hardship as though it were nothing, and renders
 all bitterness sweet and acceptable." - Thomas a Kempis

A Song of the Spirit
Revelation 22:12-17

“Behold, I am coming soon,” says the Lord,
“and bringing my reward with me, *
to give to everyone according to their deeds.
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, *
the beginning and the end.”
Blessed are those who do God’s commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, *
and may enter the city through the gates.
“I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you, *
with this testimony for all the churches.
“I am the root and the offspring of David, *
I am the bright morning star.”
“Come!” say the Spirit and the Bride; *
“Come!” let each hearer reply!
Come forward, you who are thirsty, *
let those who desire take the water of life as a gift.

Luke 6:17-23

17 He came down with them and stood on a level place, with a great crowd of his disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea, Jerusalem, and the coast of Tyre and Sidon. 18They had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases; and those who were troubled with unclean spirits were cured. 19And all in the crowd were trying to touch him, for power came out from him and healed all of them.
20 Then he looked up at his disciples and said:
‘Blessed are you who are poor,
   for yours is the kingdom of God. 
21 ‘Blessed are you who are hungry now,
   for you will be filled.
‘Blessed are you who weep now,
   for you will laugh.

22 ‘Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you* on account of the Son of Man. 23Rejoice on that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets


The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

How seldom we weigh our neighbor in the same balance with ourselves. Thomas a Kempis

“All men desire peace, but very few desire those things that make for peace.” 
― Thomas à KempisThe Imitation of Christ

Jesus we remember this day Thomas A'Kempis:
Holy Father, you have nourished and strengthened your Church by the inspired writings of your servant Thomas a Kempis: Grant that we may learn from him to know what is necessary to be known, to love what is to be loved, to praise what highly pleases you, and always to seek to know and follow your will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

From HOLY WOMEN, HOLY MEN 

21 You are God Te Deum laudamus
You are God: we praise you;
You are the Lord: we acclaim you;
You are the eternal Father:
All creation worships you.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
Cherubim and Seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you;
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all worship,
and the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the king of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you became man to set us free
you did not shun the Virgin’s womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God’s right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come and be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

“Jesus has now many lovers of the heavenly kingdom but few bearers of His cross.” 
― Thomas à KempisImitation Of Christ


The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

“Love is a mighty power, a great and complete good; Love alone lightens every burden, and makes the rough places smooth. It bears every hardship as though it were nothing, and renders all bitterness sweet and acceptable. The love of Jesus is noble, and inspires us to great deeds; it moves us always to desire perfection. Love aspires to high things, and is held back by nothing base. Love longs to be free, a stranger to every worldly desire, lest its inner vision become dimmed, and lest worldly self-interest hinder it or ill-fortune cast it down. Nothing is sweeter than love, nothing stronger, nothing higher, nothing wider, nothing more pleasant, nothing fuller or better in heaven or earth; for love is born of God, and can rest only in God above all created things.

Love flies, runs, leaps for joy; it is free and unrestrained. Love gives all for all, resting in One who is highest above all things, from whom every good flows and proceeds. Love does not regard the gifts, but turns to the Giver of all good gifts. Love knows no limits, but ardently transcends all bounds. Love feels no burden, takes no account of toil, attempts things beyond its strength; love sees nothing as impossible, for it feels able to achieve all things. Love therefore does great things; it is strange and effective; while he who lacks love faints and fails.” 
― Thomas à KempisThe Inner Life




      Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


Here are three prayers of Thomas `A Kempis


How to Rest in God Alone Above All Things

Grant me, most dear and loving Jesus, to rest in you above created things; above health and beauty, above all glory and honor; above all power and dignity, above all knowledge and skill; above all fame and praise, above all sweetness and consolation; above all hope and promise, above all merit and desire; above all gifts and favors that you can bestow and shower upon us; above all joy and jubilation that the mind can conceive and know; above angels and archangels and all the hosts of Heaven; above all things visible and invisible; and above everything that is not yourself, O my God.

O Lord, my God, you transcend all things.  You alone are most high, most mighty, most sufficient and complete, most sweet and comforting.  You alone are most full of beauty and glory, in whom all good things in their perfection exist, both now and ever have been, and ever will be.  All, therefore, is too small and unsatisfying that you can give me beside yourself, or that you can reveal and promise me of yourself unless I can see and fully possess you.  For my heart cannot rest nor be wholly content until it rests in you, rising above all your gifts and creatures.

O Lord Jesus Christ, spouse of the soul, lover of purity, and Lord of creation, who will give me wings of perfect liberty, that I may fly to you, and be at rest?  When shall I be set free, and taste your sweetness, O Lord, my God?  When shall I become recollected in you, that for love of you alone in a manner not known to all men, and above all perception and measure?  But now I mourn and bear my unhappy lot with grief, for many evils happen in this vale of sorrows, which often disturb, sadden, and darken my path.  They often hinder and distract, entice, and entangle me, so that I cannot approach you freely, nor yet enjoy the sweet embrace which you prepare for the souls of the blessed.

O Jesus, brightness of eternal glory and comfort of the pilgrim soul, hear my cry, and regard my utter desolation.  Words fail me in your presence; let my silence speak for me.  How long will my Lord delay his coming?  Come to me, Lord, poor and little as I am, and bring me joy.  Stretch out your hand, and deliver me from all my misery and pain.  Come, Lord, come, for without you no day or hour is happy; without you my table is without its guest, for you alone are my joy.  Sadness is my lot, and I am like a man imprisoned and loaded with chains, until you refresh me with the light of your presence, and show me your face as my friend.  Let others seek whom they will besides you, but nothing ever can or will give me joy but yourself alone, my God, my hope, and my eternal salvation.  I will not keep silent, nor cease from urgent prayer till your grace returns and my heart leaps at the sound of your voice.

Amen.

A Prayer for the Grace of Devotion

O Lord, my God, you are my all and every good.  And what am I, that I should presume to address you?  I am the poorest of your servants and a wretched worm, far more poor and worthless than I can ever realize or express.  Yet, Lord, remember that I am nothing: I have nothing, and can do nothing.  You alone are good, just and holy; you can do all things, fill all things, bestow all things, leaving only the wicked empty-handed.  Remember your mercies, Lord, and fill my heart with your grace, since it is your will that none of your works should be worthless.  How can I endure this life of sorrows, unless you strengthen me with your mercy and grace?  Do not turn your face from me; do not delay your coming, nor withdraw your consolation form me, lest my soul become like a waterless desert.  Teach me, O Lord, to do your will; teach me to live worthily and humbly in your sight; for you are my wisdom, who know me truly, and who knew me before the world was made, and before I had my being.

Amen.

On the Wonderful Effect of Divine Love

Deepen your love in me, O Lord, that I may learn in my inmost heart how sweet it is to love, to be dissolved, and to plunge myself into your love.  Let your love possess and raise me above myself, with a fervor and wonder beyond imagination.  Let me sing the song of love.  Let me follow you, my beloved, into the heights.  Let my soul spend itself in your praise, rejoicing for love.  Let me love you more than myself, and myself only for your own sake.  Let me love all men who truly love you, as the law of love commands, which shines out from you.

Love is swift, pure, tender, joyful, and pleasant.  Love is strong, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, vigorous, and never self-seeking.  For when a man is self-seeking he abandons love.  Love is watchful, humble, and upright; love is not fickle and sentimental, nor is it intent on vanities.  It is sober, pure, steadfast, quiet, and guarded in all the senses. Love is submissive and obedient to superiors, mean and contemptible in its own sight, devoted and thankful to God, trusting and hoping in him even when not enjoying his sweetness; for none can live in love without suffering.

Whoever is not prepared to endure everything, and to stand firmly by the will of the beloved, is not worthy to be called a lover.  A lover must willingly accept every hardship and bitterness for the sake of his beloved, and must never desert him because of adversity.

Amen.




Tonight let us pray for the least of these and our family members who are feeling lost and alone.

Jesus, we come to you this night asking you to lift up the lonely, lost, and those who feel unloved and outcast. Help us to draw them into  your circle of love and fellowship where they will find peace and a loving family waiting for them.

Jesus, we pray for peace in the holy places where you walked, preached, healed, were there for those who  were outcast, blind, and not welcome in any town. We pray for peace in all of the Holy Land  and a return to holiness and we pray for the leaders of  Israel, Palestine, Syria, and Iraq that they may remember that they are all family members under Abraham and the awesome responsibility that comes with that.

Jesus, help us to be there for our family members even when it seems difficult to do so. 

Jesus, heal all  of our family members who are ill and we name them now before you with love________________

Jesus, help us to grow in the Fruits of the Spirit and reap abundantly the harvest that you have planted.

Jesus, help us to sew seeds of faith, hope, and love and that we may may show these throughout our lives and  in our daily living.

Jesus, help us to be good stewards of God's Cathedral of Life.

Jesus, we pray for all refugees, strangers, immigrants of any kind and especially the unaccompanied children who have been set on a dangerous road to freedom.

Jesus, help us to be lights to this broken world and to each other.

Jesus, be with those who mourn  and we pray that we may follow your example of compassion, love, and yes even weep as you wept at the tomb of Lazarus.


Let us pray the words of the Beatitudes

When Jesus* saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
3 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6 ‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
8 ‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9 ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 ‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely* on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Jesus, may we rest gentle in your arms this night and always .

We lift up these our prayers to in Jesus' Name . Amen.


PRAYER BY THOMAS À KEMPIS – GROW IN FAITH


Give us, O Lord, steadfast hearts that cannot be dragged down by false loves;
give us courageous hearts that cannot be worn down by trouble;
give us righteous hearts that cannot be sidetracked by unholy or unworthy goals.
Give to us also, our Lord and God, understanding to know You,
diligence to look for you,
wisdom to recognize You,
and a faithfulness that will bring us to see You face to face.
— Thomas à Kempis (1380-1471)

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.(source: Celtic)
Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,2

++++++
Good Night Dear Ones!  Let us follow Jesus on His Journey and be imitators of his. Follow Him in Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy and let us take up our crosses and follow Him day by day.  I love you and give thanks to God for you this day and always.


With love and seeing God in all of you this night and always,

Sara

Resources:
Enriching Our Worship 1 
Thomas A'Kempis quotes and prayers all over the web.
BrainyQuote
Good Reads
PrayerPower.com
Prayers of Thomas A`Kempis- The Value of Sparrows
Book of Common Prayer
Holy Women Holy Men
Satucket Lectionary

F.Y.I !
Here is the biography of our Saint of the Day! Thomas a` Kempis



No comments:

Post a Comment