Saturday, February 2, 2019

A Blog on a Rainy Saturday Morning! Blog 1 on the Feast of the Presentation and Candlemas !








Good Morning Dear Ones!

Happy Feast of the Presentation and Ground Hog Day. I didn't see my shadow due to the rain not sure what that means for humans or ground hogs. Today is the Feast of the Presentation and I thought it would be a good morning since, I'm not traveling to Santa Barbara due to heavy rain, to spend time with you all. God is good!


Our morning worship comes from A New Zealand Prayer Book in the Daily Services section of Liturgies.


God has caused light to shine in our hearts,
to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God
in the face of Christ.


We have called to mind your steadfast love O God in the midst of your temple. As your name is great O God, so is your praise to the ends of the earth: your right hand is filled with victory. Psalm 48:9,


Be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new nature, created after the likeness of God in righteousness and true holiness.Ephesians 4:23-24
Open our lips, O Lord;
and our mouth shall proclaim your praise.




Peace for the Nations

1 In days to come the mountain of the ′ Lord′s ′ house:

will be established as the ′ highest ′ of the ′ mountains.

2 It will be raised a′bove the ′ hills:

and ′ all the ′ nations · will ′ flock to it.

3 Many peoples will come and ′ they will ′ say:

‘Let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,

to the′ house · of the ′ God of ′ Jacob,

4 ‘that we may be taught the ′ ways · of the ′ Lord:

and may ′ walk · in the ′ right ′ paths.’

5 From the mountain of the Lord shall go ′ forth the ′ law:

and the word of the ′ Lord ′ from Je′rusalem.

6 The Lord will judge be′tween the ′ nations:

and settle disputes for ′ many ′ peoples.

7 They shall beat their ′ swords · into ′ ploughshares:

and their ′ spears ′ into ′ pruning hooks.

8 Nation shall not lift up ′ sword a·gainst ′ nation:

nor ever a′gain pre′pare for′ war.

9† Come O ′ house of ′ Jacob:

let us walk in the ′ light ′ of the ′ Lord.

Isaiah 2:2-5

Glory to the Father and ′ to the ′ Son:

and ′ to the ′ Holy ′ Spirit;

as it was in the be′ginning · is ′ now:

and shall be for ′ ever. ′ A′men.




42 Quemadmodum

1 As the deer longs for the water-brooks, *
so longs my soul for you, O God.

2 My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God; *
when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?

3 My tears have been my food day and night, *
while all day long they say to me,
"Where now is your God?"

4 I pour out my soul when I think on these things; *
how I went with the multitude and led them into the
house of God,

5 With the voice of praise and thanksgiving, *
among those who keep holy-day.

6 Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul? *
and why are you so disquieted within me?

7 Put your trust in God; *
for I will yet give thanks to him,
who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

8 My soul is heavy within me; *
therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.

9 One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts; *
all your rapids and floods have gone over me.

10 The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime; *
in the night season his song is with me,
a prayer to the God of my life.

11 I will say to the God of my strength,
"Why have you forgotten me? *
and why do I go so heavily while the enemy
oppresses me?"

12 While my bones are being broken, *
my enemies mock me to my face;

13 All day long they mock me *
and say to me, "Where now is your God?"

14 Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul? *
and why are you so disquieted within me?

15 Put your trust in God; *
for I will yet give thanks to him,
who is the help of my countenance, and my God.


43 Judica me, Deus

1 Give judgment for me, O God,
and defend my cause against an ungodly people; *
deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.

2 For you are the God of my strength;
why have you put me from you? *
and why do I go so heavily while the enemy
oppresses me?

3 Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me, *
and bring me to your holy hill
and to your dwelling;

4 That I may go to the altar of God,
to the God of my joy and gladness; *
and on the harp I will give thanks to you, O God my God.

5 Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul? *
and why are you so disquieted within me?

6 Put your trust in God; *
for I will yet give thanks to him,
who is the help of my countenance, and my God.



1 Samuel 2:1-10

2Hannah prayed and said,
‘My heart exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.*
My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in my* victory.

2 ‘There is no Holy One like the Lord,
no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God.
3 Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the Lord is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.
4 The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.
5 Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are fat with spoil.
The barren has borne seven,
but she who has many children is forlorn.
6 The Lord kills and brings to life;
he brings down to Sheol and raises up.
7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich;
he brings low, he also exalts.
8 He raises up the poor from the dust;
he lifts the needy from the ash heap,
to make them sit with princes
and inherit a seat of honour.*
For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s,
and on them he has set the world.

9 ‘He will guard the feet of his faithful ones,
but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness;
for not by might does one prevail.
10 The Lord! His adversaries shall be shattered;
the Most High* will thunder in heaven.
The Lord will judge the ends of the earth;
he will give strength to his king,
and exalt the power of his anointed.’




John 8:31-36




31 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.’ 33They answered him, ‘We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, “You will be made free”?’
34 Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there for ever. 36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.



A New Heaven and a New Earth

1 I saw a new heaven and a ′ new ′ earth:

for the first heaven and earth had passed away,

and there was no ′ longer ′ any ′ sea.

2 I saw the holy city ′ new Je′rusalem:

coming ′ down · out of ′ heaven · from ′ God.

3 I saw no temple ′ in the ′ city:

for its temple is the Lord God‿

the Al′mighty ′ and the ′ Lamb.

4 The city has no need of sun or moon to ′ shine up′on it:

for the glory of God illuminates it,

and the ′ Lamb ′ is its ′ light.

5 The throne of God and of the Lamb will be ′ in the ′ city:

and the servants of God‿

shall ′ worship · be′fore the ′ throne.

6 They shall see God ′ face to ′ face:

and bear the name of their ′ God up′on their ′ foreheads.

7 There shall be ′ no more ′ night:

nor will they need the ′ light of ′ lamp or ′ sun,

8 for the Lord God will ′ give them ′ light:

and they shall ′ reign for ′ ever · and ′ ever.

9† To the One who is seated on the throne and ′ to the ′ Lamb:

be blessing and honour, glory and might ‿

for ever and ′ ever. ′ A′men.

Revelation 21:1,2,22,23; 22:3-5; 5:13

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.

From A New Zealand Prayer Book
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.


Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.


Collects of the Day

Almighty and everliving God, we humbly pray that, as your only-begotten Son was this day presented in the temple, so we may be presented to you with pure and clean hearts by Jesus Christ our Lord; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


O God, you have made this day holy by the presentation of
your Son in the Temple, and by the purification of the
Blessed Virgin Mary: Mercifully grant that we, who delight in
her humble readiness to be the birth-giver of the Only begotten,
may rejoice for ever in our adoption as his sisters
and brothers; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


We have waited in silence on your loving-kindness, O Lord,
in the midst of your temple. Your praise, like your Name, O
God, reaches to the world’s end; your right hand is full of
justice.


God we thank you for creating us in your image and likeness.

We pray for those who feel invisible and out of touch. Help us to know who we are and whose we are.



God we thank you for creating us out of love and may we love like you.
We pray for all who are unloving. May we love the unlovable.

God we thank you for making us worthy of your promises.
We pray that we may be worthy and up to the tasks that you call us to do.

God we thank you that you have counted each hair on our heads and made us precious.
We pray for the least of these and our most vulnerable family members. We remember all those who are facing another night in the bitter cold.

God we thank you that you have made us a family and your beloved children.
We pray for all children and animals who are in need of loving and forever homes.

God we thank your for allowing us to bring ourselves and our gifts to you your table.

We pray that we may allow all of our family members to bring themselves and their gifts to the table without judgement.


God we thank you for empowering us to be a vital presence to others and our family members.
We pray that we may speak truth to power and do justice, love, mercy and be a voice for the voiceless.

God we thank you for giving us hearts to love and heart homes to hold our family members tightly
We pray for all who are mourning, ill, and in need. May we give them love and along with you hold them lovingly with compassion.

God we thank you for giving us the courage to be authentically who we are.
We pray for an end to all bullying of all of our family members.

God help us to make peace, bring joy, bear hope , and shine lights.
All this we ask in Jesus' most holy name. Amen.



The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)


Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.

(source: from Saint Clare)


O God,
the well-spring of life,
pour into our hearts the living water of your grace,
that refreshed by you,
we may live this day in steadfast reliance
on the strength you give;
through our Savior Jesus Christ.
Amen.

Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

May the peace of God
which passes all understanding
keep our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Amen.

++++

Tidbits from the Northumbria Community -
Candlemas February 2nd
This is the commemoration of Jesus’ presentation in the Temple in Jerusalem, on the fortieth day following his birth. This was in accordance with the law laid down in the Book of Leviticus, that the mother of a male child should be ritually purified following the birth. In many Celtic lands it is traditionally known as ‘Mary of the Candle’.
Luke records that the Holy Family met two elderly people in the Temple, who had been seeking God and His Messiah. Simeon was waiting for this event so that he may die and go happily to his rest, and this is reflected in the song which he sings, ‘Lord, now let Your servant depart in peace…for I have seen Your salvation…’ He also foretells ‘the falling and rising of many in Israel’ as a result of the child’s life, and declares that a sword will pierce Mary’s soul also when Jesus is spoken against. The other person who met the family and gave thanks to God for the child was Anna.
Joseph and Mary did everything required in the Law, including making the prescribed offering, which in their case was that for poor people, ‘a pair of doves or two young pigeons’.
In the Celtic lands Candlemas was a Quarter Day, along with May Day, Lammas (August 1st) and New Year (November 1st), when rents were to be paid and debts made good. At the Temple Joseph and Mary paid their dues to God and made good their debt of thanks for the safe delivery of the Saviour of the World.

Lord, You have taught us through the prophet Micah that the sacrifice You desire from us is that we should act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God. By the power of Your Holy Spirit, may we offer this sacrifice and so light a candle for Your Kingdom in every land on earth. Amen.

Prayers for others

Canticle
Christ, as a light
illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield
overshadow me.
Christ under me;
Christ over me;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Christ as a light;
Christ as a shield;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
Blessing
May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you,
wherever He may send you.
May He guide you through the wilderness,
protect you through the storm.
May He bring you home rejoicing
at the wonders He has shown you.
May He bring you home rejoicing
once again into our doors.
+++++

I hope everyone has a good day and stays safe and warm. I love you. Catch you later when we have our weekly prayer vigil on this the feast of the Presentation and Candlemas. 

Love and blessings!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment