Sunday, February 24, 2019

Lessons in love from the Gospels According to Luke, John, and George Harrison! Let Love Be the Key of Life and Living!





Good Evening Beloved Community! 

Happy Sabbath Day! I find my inspiration in writing  from The Bible and  A to Z Quotes! A to Z quotes has our daily celebrations of noted personages who were born and died on a certain day of the year. Tomorrow we celebrate the Feast day of St. Matthias and the birth of the late great Beatle, George Harrison whose quotes we ponder today. All three Gospel lessons today are lessons in loving and living and striving to be loving towards everyone and putting down heart roots.  Thinking about the Beatles, I have many favorite songs and the one that came to my my mind tonight was and is "Let it Be". The words albeit were written with Paul McCartney's mother in mind, I find that this one could be a modern day Magnificat. So let us begin our time together by praying the song lyrics from the song "Let it Be":

[Verse 1: Paul McCartney]
When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom
“Let it be”
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom
“Let it be”

[Chorus: Paul McCartney]
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

[Verse 2: Paul McCartney]
And when the brokenhearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer
Let it be
For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer
Let it be

[Chorus: Paul McCartney]
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Yeah, there will be an answer
Let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

[Guitar Solo]

[Chorus: Paul McCartney]
Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

[Verse 3: Paul McCartney]
And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on till tomorrow
Let it be
I wake up to the sound of music
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom
Let it be

[Chorus: Paul McCartney]
Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah let it be
There will be an answer
Let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

Written By
Paul McCartney
Lead Vocals
Paul McCartney
Recorded At
Abbey Road Studios






Let us meditate on these quotes from George Harrison:


"One of the main differences between silent meditation and chanting is that silent meditation is rather dependent on concentration, but when you chant, it's more of a direct connection with God." ~ George Harrison

"All love is really God's love." ~ George Harrison

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

"The purpose of life is to find out 'Who am I?', 'Why am I here?' and 'Where am I going?'" ~ George Harrison

"It's God's love manifest in this world through everything that's in this world, and all the people in the world." ~ George Harrison

"Give me love Give me love Give me peace on earth Give me light Give me life Keep me free from birth Give me hope Help me cope, with this heavy load Trying to, touch and reach you with, heart and soul" ~ George Harrison

"...won't you give some bread to get the starving fed" ~ George Harrison

"And the time will come when you see, we’re all one, and life flows on within you and without you." ~ George Harrison

"The only thing we really have to work at in this life is how to manifest love." ~ George Harrison

"With our love, we could save the world." ~ George Harrison

Come Let us Worship:

You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but citizens together with the saints and members of the household of God. Ephesians 2:19

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and those who are afraid are not perfected in love. We love because God first loved us. If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother or sister, that person is a liar; for those who do not love their brothers and sisters whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. 1 John 4:18-20

God shows such love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

In this, O God, your love was made manifest among us, that you sent your only Son into the world so that we might live through him. 1 John 4:9 (adapted)

God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us. Romans 5:5

O Lord how manifold are your works; in wisdom you have made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. Psalm 104:25



I invite us all to light our candles and be at prayer as we begin our Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil: Tonight I ask your prayers for peace and and end to all the violence and hatred in our country and throughout the world. I ask your prayers for those who are finding it hard to love the unlovable. We pray for our family members who differ from us and the courage be reunited with each other. We pray for all of our family members who are seeking love and understanding and an end to feeling invisible. We pray for all who are suffering from chronic pain and illness. We pray that we may continue to be CALM(Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful)





Alcuin: Eternal One

Eternal Light, shine into our hearts;
Eternal Goodness, deliver us from evil;
Eternal Power, be our support;
Eternal Wisdom, scatter the darkness of our ignorance:
That we may seek Your face
With all our heart and mind and soul and strength.

Anselm: We Bring Our Troubles

We bring before You, O God:
The troubles and perils of people and nations,
The sighings of the sick,
The sorrows of the bereaved,
The necessities of strangers,
The helplessness of the weak,
The despondency of the weary,
The failing powers of any age.
May each of us draw as near to You
As You are near to each of us.

Waldemar Argow: For Wisdom

Everliving Source of us all,
May we find wisdom this day;
May we come to understand—
that we without You are a well without water;
that a person without friends is a tree without branches;
that words without deeds are a cry no one can hear;
that knowing without feeling is a head without a body;
that strength without tenderness is a darkness where no light shines;
that life without love is a desert where no rain falls.
May the wisdom we find this day make us wiser in the days ahead:
Wise enough to be ourselves and to try to understand ourselves as best we may;
Wise enough to be the master of our moods;
Wise enough to find in the buffeting and shocks of life a discipline that will make us stronger than we were before.
May the varied experiences of each day increase our store of wisdom.
May our fellowship with one another, and with You, increase our treasury of love.


Paul Gerhardt: Evening

The duteous day now closes;
Each flower and tree reposes;
Shade creeps o’er wild and wood.
Let us, as night is falling,
On You, our Maker calling,
Give thanks to You, the Giver good.
Now all the heav’nly splendor
Breaks forth in starlight tender
From myriad worlds unknown;
And we, Your marvel seeing,
Forget our selfish being
For joy of beauty not our own.


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.



In Lak 'Ech

Tú eres mi otro yo.

You are my other me.

Si te hago daño a ti,

If I do harm to you,

Me hago daño a mi mismo.

I do harm to myself.

Si te amo y respeto,

If I love and respect you,

Me amo y respeto yo.

I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez





How good and pleasant a thing it is when God’s people live together in unity. Psalm 133:1

"We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." ~ Thurgood Marshall


"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen


A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.






Confession of Need

Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.

May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.



145 Exaltabo te, Deus

1 I will exalt you, O God my King, *
and bless your Name for ever and ever.

2 Every day will I bless you *
and praise your Name for ever and ever.

3 Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised; *
there is no end to his greatness.

4 One generation shall praise your works to another *
and shall declare your power.

5 I will ponder the glorious splendor of your majesty *
and all your marvelous works.

6 They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts, *
and I will tell of your greatness.

7 They shall publish the remembrance of your great goodness; *
they shall sing of your righteous deeds.

8 The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, *
slow to anger and of great kindness.

9 The Lord is loving to everyone *
and his compassion is over all his works.

10 All your works praise you, O Lord, *
and your faithful servants bless you.

11 They make known the glory of your kingdom *
and speak of your power;

12 That the peoples may know of your power *
and the glorious splendor of your kingdom.

13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom; *
your dominion endures throughout all ages.

14 The Lord is faithful in all his words *
and merciful in all his deeds.

15 The Lord upholds all those who fall; *
he lifts up those who are bowed down.

16 The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord, *
and you give them their food in due season.

17 You open wide your hand *
and satisfy the needs of every living creature.

18 The Lord is righteous in all his ways *
and loving in all his works.

19 The Lord is near to those who call upon him, *
to all who call upon him faithfully.

20 He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; *
he hears their cry and helps them.

21 The Lord preserves all those who love him, *
but he destroys all the wicked.

22 My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord; *
let all flesh bless his holy Name for ever and ever.


John 10:7-16

7 So again Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

11 ‘I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

William Blake: To Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love

To Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
All pray in their distress
And to those virtues of delight
Return their thankfulness.

For Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
Is You, our God most dear;
And Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love
Is Man, Your child and care.

For Mercy has a human heart,
Pity, a human face;
And Love, the human form divine,
And Peace, the human dress.

Then ev’ry one, of ev’ry clime,
That prays in true distress,
Prays to the human form divine:
Love, Mercy, Pity, Peace.

And all must love the human form
In heathen, Turk or Jew;
Where Mercy, Love, and Pity dwell,
There You are dwelling too.

A Song of God’s Love

1 John 4:7-11

Beloved, let us love one another, *
for love is of God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, *
for God is Love.
In this the love of God was revealed among us, *
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through Jesus Christ.
In this is love, not that we loved God but that God loved us *
and sent his Son that sins might be forgiven.
Beloved, since God loved us so much, *
we ought also to love one another.
For if we love one another, God abides in us, *
and God’s love will be perfected in us.



Luke 6:27-38

Love for Enemies

27 ‘But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. 30Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 ‘If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return.* Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
Judging Others

37 ‘Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.’

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

John 15:1,6-16

15‘I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. 6Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become* my disciples. 9As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

12 ‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15I do not call you servants* any longer, because the servant* does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. 16You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name.


A Song of Faith
1 Peter 1:3-4,18-21
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *
by divine mercy we have a new birth into a living hope;
Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, *
we have an inheritance that is imperishable in heaven.
The ransom that was paid to free us *
was not paid in silver or gold,
But in the precious blood of Christ, *
the Lamb without spot or stain.
God raised Jesus from the dead and gave him glory *
so that we might have faith and hope in God.

Because in the mystery of the Word made flesh, you have
caused a new light to shine in our hearts, to give the
knowledge of your glory in the face of your son Jesus Christ
our Lord.

Collects:

Seventh Sunday after the Epiphany

O Lord, you have taught us that without love whatever we
do is worth nothing; Send your Holy Spirit and pour into our
hearts your greatest gift, which is love, the true bond of peace
and of all virtue, without which whoever lives is accounted
dead before you. Grant this for the sake of your only Son
Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy
Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen. (BCP)


God, you have made our world and seen that it is good;
grant to us, created to complete your work,
the bright, delightful vision that makes us care for what we do. (ANZPB)

God of unchangeable power,
when you fashioned the world
the morning stars sang together
and the host of heaven shouted for joy;
open our eyes to the wonders of creation
and teach us to use all things for good,
to the honour of your glorious name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. (ANZPB)


You made us Lord, and we are yours;
grant that we may so use your gifts
that all your creatures may enjoy the harmony you planned. (ANZPB)


Loving Jesus: Protect and sustain us with your hand. Open the
door of your love that, sealed with your wisdom, we may be free
to serve you with joy. Amen.
(a prayer of St. Gertrude)

O God our shield and armor of light, whom we adore with all the
angelic host: defend us from evil; watch over any who are in
danger this night and give your angels charge over them; and
grant that we may always rejoice in your heavenly protection
and serve you bravely in the world; through Jesus Christ our
Savior. Amen

Holy Wisdom, in your loving kindness you created and restored us when we were lost: inspire us with your truth, that we may love you with our whole minds and run to you with open hearts, through Christ our Savior. Amen. (source: Alcuin of York, Mass of Wisdom)

God our rock and refuge: keep us safe in your care and strengthen us with your grace, that we may pray to you faithfully and love one another boldly, following the example of Jesus, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives for ever and ever. Amen. (source: Veronese Sacramentary)


Stephen H. Fritchman: To All Who Toil

Spirit of Truth and Love within our living hearts, we pledge our faithfulness to all who toil that we may eat our bread. We rejoice in human power to shape the stuff of earth into things of usefulness and beauty. May our hands and minds add their portion to the common treasure of a world more fair. We would find our place among the workers of human ity, proud of honest labor done, and rest deserved, and wages earned. We would pay our tribute to the task well done of tailor, teacher, carpenter, and nurse; of surgeon, painter, sailor, chemist, housewife, typist, farmer and chef; and for all of those whose work is little known and rarely seen, yet daily given, that our lives may be far happier and safe. May this be a time of kinship among the toilers of every race and clime.


God we share many things in common with our enemies, may we find common ground as we pray this night.

God may we breathe clean air and find ourselves breathing in love and breathing out peace.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God may we eat of the abundance of the fruits of  your Cathedral of Life and break bread together in solidarity.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God may we find rest for our souls and may we rest in the knowledge that you God created us all and made us in your image and likeness. Take away any anxiety and bitterness that keeps us from resting upon our beds. 
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God may we be clothed with peacemaking skills and clothing that will keep us warm.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God we give thanks for our homes in which we live. We pray that everyone will have a home that safe and filled with warmth and love. We pray especially for those who have become refugees due to wars and violent conflicts. 
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God we pray for our families who need our love, patience, and we give thanks for them with loving and sustaining and merciful hearts.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God we pray for all of our loved ones especially those who have asked us for our prayers remembering especially____________________________
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God we remember your beloved little children that they may be safe from harm and still have a childlike wonder  and awe for the earth and your creation. May we recapture this sense wonder.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God teach us how to be lovers and may we find the holiness in our relationships one to another.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God show us the paths towards peace,justice, mercy, equality, and universal human rights.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God we pray for all who mourn that they may be given love, comfort, and compassion.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God we pray for all who have died and are dying. We pray especially for those who are dying terrible deaths that they felt your loving presence as they were carried into the Thin Places.
May we love our enemies as we love our neighbors and do good to those who hate us.

God we thank you for this day and as we lift up these our prayers in the name of  your son Jesus. Amen. 

The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

For our Enemies  (From the BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER)
O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth; deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

O God of love and mercy, 
grant us, with all your people, rest and peace.

+++++++

Lots more Love prayers!
We Praise You, O God Te Deum laudamus

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all worship,
and the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the king of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin’s womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God’s right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come to be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

For today's intercessions we will use quotes from scripture, let us respond withGod is Love and where true love is, God is there.

Help us O God, to remember to love all your children and give them good examples of being faithful, hopeful, and loving. 
1 Corinthians 13:13
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God help us to be cheerful in our giving and joyful in receiving all that you are giving to us on a nano-second by nano second basis. 

1 John 3:1
1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God give us courage to love our enemies and do good to those who hate us.
1 John 4:7
7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.


God help us to show you as love by reflecting you to our family members who may not yet know you.

1 John 4:8
8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God help us to live in you and to feel your holy presence in our inner beings. 
1 John 4:16
16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God, take away from us all hatred, fear, bigotry, and all things that separate us from you and our family members. 
1 John 4:18
18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.


God we pray for all who are lost, lonely, and afraid and who cannot feel your love and the love of others. We remember all who are living on the margins.
1 John 4:19
19 We love because he first loved us.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God we give thanks for______________
Galatians 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God help us to listen and be responsive to your call to serve and the life plans that you have made for us. 
Jeremiah 29:11
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God help us to be CALM (Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful)
Jeremiah 31:3
3 The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God we remember all who have died today and especially we remember and speak the names of those who were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas in Parkland a year ago:Alyssa Alhadef, Scott Beigel, Martin Duque, Aaron Feis, Jaime Guttenberg, Chris Hixon, Luke Hoyer, Cara Loughran, Gina Montalto, Joaquin Oliver, Alaina Petty,Meadow Pollack, Helena Ramsey, Alex Schachter, Carmen Schentrup, Peter Wang  

John 3:16
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God, we give thanks for our extended family members who love and care for us through random acts of kindness and generosity.
John 15:13
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

CALM Prayers

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy drive far from us all temptations that keep us from you and serving the least of these.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we thank you for times in the wilderness so that we may be more fully united with you and spend time hearing your still small voice.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy, we pray for peace in our hearts and in this world.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy may we be united as one in your big wonderful and loving family.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we pray for all who are ill and suffering. May we lovingly respond to their needs and not be tempted to turn away.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we pray for all who are in mourning of any kind of loss.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we pray for all refugees captives victims of human trafficking bullying and abuse.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we give thanks for the rich diversity of cultures faiths and peoples.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we pray for all who have been on any kind of retreat or travel that now leads them back of the mountaintop experience into new life.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we pray for an end to injustice and inequality. We pray for universal human rights and that we may become the voice of the voiceless and let justice roll down.

God of all compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy we add our own prayers and thanksgivings________________ and lay them in the loving arms of your son Jesus. Amen
Psalm 86:15
15 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.


God we pray the words that your beloved son taught us :

From A New Zealand Prayer Book
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.


Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen
Psalm 136:26
26 Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God we pray for_________________
Romans 5:8
8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God help us we pray to set good examples for all who come after us. Let us love and care for one another and be good stewards and conservationists of your creation. 
Deuteronomy 7:9
9 Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God let us spend time in holy silence and feel your presence ever abiding in us.
Zephaniah 3:17
17 The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez

Ephesians 2:4-5
4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God our rock and refuge: keep us safe in your care and strengthen us with your grace, that we may pray to you faithfully and love one another boldly, following the example of Jesus, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives for ever and ever. Amen. (source: Veronese Sacramentary)

1 Peter 5:6-7
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.


Holy Wisdom, in your loving kindness you created and restored
us when we were lost: inspire us with your truth, that we may
love you with our whole minds and run to you with open hearts,
through Christ our Savior. Amen.
(source: Alcuin of York, Mass of Wisdom)
Romans 8:37-39
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
God is Love and where true love is, God is there.

God help us to be united in love as your beloved children.

 "Where true charity is, there is God."

God  help and teach us to be peacemakers.

"Where Charity and Love Prevail",

God help us to help you end the cycle of violence and turn our hearts towards you in compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy.

"Where true charity is, there is God."

God give us the strength and courage to stand with the voiceless ones and those who are facing times of being under siege and threat.

"Where Charity and Love Prevail",

God help us to care for all of your dear children and especially the least of these who are looking for help, a soft place in which to fall. 

"Where true charity is, there is God."

God heal all those who are ill in body, mind, and spirit! We remember especially______________

Where Charity and Love Prevail"


Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.

Ubi Caritas


Let us be at prayer and take our time being in conversation and listening with God.

God of Love, we pray this night for all who don't feel your loving arms around them. Help us to love the unloving and wrap our loving arms around them. 

God of Creation, we give thanks to you for all that you have made and may we walk tenderly in God's Cathedral of Life.

God of  Love, we pray for peace in this fragile and broken world. Heal all divisions and  lead us to be peacemakers and  hope bearers.

God of Creation, we pray for rain and an awareness that we are called to be conservationists and stewards of this planet that you called into being.

God of Love, we pray that we all may be lead to full inclusion as Your family Members.

God of Healing, we pray for all our family members both great and small who are ill and seek your healing touch. May they receive your healing and loving grace. 

God of Life, may we take time to live as you would have us do. May we respond to your call and follow you wherever you lead us.

God of all Mercy, we pray for all who are transitioning towards a new live with You in the Thin Places and all who have made the heavenly and joyous journey into eternal life.

God  of  all Gentleness comfort those who mourn and may we we be sources of strength and comfort to them.

God we give thanks to you for our many blessings especially_____________________


God of our family, we pray for all our family members and ourselves  remembering especially_____________

Lord Jesus come quickly and heal us and make us whole. We lift these our prayers to you In your most Holy Name. Amen.


In your presence O God, we come together as one family of love. Give us courage to lay down the weaponry of hate and find common ground. 
In your presence O God, take all the gunk in our lives that prevent us from truly serving you and the least of these. 
In your presence O God, give us courage to discern where you are sending us and help us to respond accordingly with "Here I am send me"! 
In your presence  O God, make us truly the Beloved Community intent upon serving you and our family members with CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) 
In your presence O God, help us to stand fast and ready to speak truth to power and seek out ways to be the change you want to see in the world. 
In your presence O God, may we feel and know your love for us so that we may serve others.  In your presence O God, we offer these our prayers________________________________ 
In your presence O God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of your only begotten Son Jesus. Amen.
We close our vigil with these prayers: 
The Woke Prayers of St. Francis 
Help us O God to be woke! Woke as your peacemakers, change makers, heart changers, and love energy bringers! 
Woke to the hatred so that we may sow seeds of love. Woke to the injury so that we may heal the hurt and cease the harm. 
Woke to the divisiveness that we may be eager to heal and unite as one neighborhood and family. 
Woke to uncertainty that will lead us to be renewed in faith.
Woke to the despair of all our neighbors so that we may sow seeds of radical hope, love, hospitality, and inclusion. 
Woke to the knowledge that we are God's beloved children. 
Woke to sing the words of We are One in The Spirit Peter Scholte
1- 
We are One in The Spirit, 
We are One in The Lord. 
We are One in The Spirit, 
We are One in The Lord. 
And we pray that all unity may one day be restored.
Chorus 
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, 
By our Love, 
Yes they'll know we are Christians by our love.
-2- 
We will work with each other, 
We will work side by side. 
We will work with each other, 
We will work side by side. 
And we'll guard each man's dignity 
And save each man's pride.
Chorus
-3- 
We will work with each other, 
We will work side by side. 
We will work with each other, 
We will work side by side. 
And we'll guard each man's dignity 
And save each man's pride.
Chorus
-3- 
We will walk with each other, 
We will walk hand in hand. 
We will walk with each other, 
We will walk hand in hand. 
And together we'll spread the News 
that God is in our land.
Help us to be woke enough not to think of ourselves being the comforted, help us be the comforters and wounded healers. 
Help not to be know it alls and be woke to understand what is plaguing our inner beings, neighbors, neighborhoods, the least of these, our family members.
God wake us up to be Woke to your agape love so that we may love everything that you have made.
 Wake us to be Woke to Radical Love, Hospitality, and inclusion.
Help us to know that being truly woke means being open to radical and random acts of kindness and giving. Where the giver is given and receives much by acts of giving. 
Help us to be woke enough to forgive and then find ourselves being actually forgiven  
God Wake us Up to Be Woke to know that death isn't the end but only the beginning of a new birth in your heavenly Kindom. Amen and let it be so! 


O God our shield and armor of light, whom we adore with all the
angelic host: defend us from evil; watch over any who are in
danger this night and give your angels charge over them; and
grant that we may always rejoice in your heavenly protection
and serve you bravely in the world; through Jesus Christ our
Savior. Amen. (EOW)

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and those who are afraid are not perfected in love. We love because God first loved us. If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother or sister, that person is a liar; for those who do not love their brothers and sisters whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. 1 John 4:18-20

Lord, 
it is night.

The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.

The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen.

Christ be within us to keep us,
beside us to guard,
before us to lead,
behind us to protect,
beneath us to support,
above us to bless.
+++++++


++++++
Tidbits from the Northumbria Community:

This week’s Rule reflection
We embrace the vulnerability of being TEACHABLE expressed in an exposure to SCRIPTURE


Sunday – The Ita Compline
ff
Ita, who died in about 570, was abbess of a women’s community in Killeedy, County Limerick in Ireland. She ran a school for boys where she taught:
ff
Faith in God with purity of heart; simplicity of life with religion; generosity with love.
Among those schooled by Ita was Brendan, who honoured her as his foster-mother and adviser. The Compline that follows is named after her because of its emphasis on examination of the heart, and the prayers of care and protection for each soul who crosses our path.
If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.
+ (silently)
The Sacred Three
to save
to shield
to surround
the hearth
the home
this night
and every night.
* Search me, O God, and know my heart.
Test me and know my thoughts.
* See if there is any wicked way in me
and lead me in the way everlasting.
O Father, O Son, O Holy Spirit,
forgive me my sins.
O only-begotten Son of the heavenly Father,
forgive.
O God who is one,
O God who is true,
O God who is first,
O God who is one substance,
O God only mighty,
in three Persons, truly merciful,
forgive.
* O God of life, this night,
O darken not to me Thy light.
* O God of life, this night,
close not Thy gladness to my sight.
* Keep Your people, Lord,
in the arms of Your embrace.
Shelter them under Your wings.
* Be their light in darkness.
Be their hope in distress.
Be their calm in anxiety.
* Be strength in their weakness.
* Be their comfort in pain.
* Be their song in the night.
In peace will I lie down, for it is You, O Lord,
You alone who makes me to rest secure.
* Be it on Your own beloved arm,
O God of grace, that I in peace shall awake.
Be the peace of the Spirit
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Son
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Father
mine this night.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.




Today’s Meditation
A Christian is one who points at Christ and says, ‘I can’t prove a thing, but there’s something about His eyes and His voice. There’s something about the way He carries His head, His hands, the way He carries His cross – the way He carries me.’
Frederick Buechner


++++++

Good Night All! I love you ! Love is the key!

Peace and love,

Sara



Resources
Sojourners


ReclaimingJesus.org


Matthew25Pledge.com


Watch this space as we join the Good Book Club and read Romans for the season of Epiphany!
Tomorrow:


Romans 15:7-13

The Gospel for Jews and Gentiles Alike

 Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God. For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the circumcised on behalf of the truth of God in order that he might confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written,
‘Therefore I will confess you among the Gentiles,
   and sing praises to your name’; 
and again he says,
‘Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people’; 
and again,
‘Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles,
   and let all the peoples praise him’; 
and again Isaiah says,
‘The root of Jesse shall come,
   the one who rises to rule the Gentiles;
in him the Gentiles shall hope.’ 
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. 





A to Z Quotes
Book of Occasional Services 

Northumbria Community

Enjoy perusing these sites. 

Today's Readings from Satucket Lectionary Page
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment