Monday, April 8, 2019

Journeying with Jesus as told to us through the Gospel of John. Equipping the saints week begins today!






Good Evening Beloved Ones!




Happy Monday! I hope and pray that all is well. This week we are going to travel with Jesus through the eyes of the Gospel of John and the Psalms. John is a little bit quirky in spots as you will see later in the week. John is not chronological. That kind of bothered me because I'm having a genetic counseling consult on Wednesday and I had to do a family tree of colon polyps and cancer. I just found out that one of my brothers had cancer and I didn't know this and the other brother had polyps. This is why being estranged from family members isn't such a good idea when you get diagnosed with illnesses of any kind. I digress. The lessons from John help us to see Jesus at his best and in the role of healer and reconciler. If you can't feel the drama and emotion keep trying. It will come. The next two weeks will be a time of emotional ratcheting. Tomorrow we will commemorate the Feast of Dietrich Bonhoeffer as our Notable Social Justice Family Member. Today we remember and celebrate Marian Anderson with her quotes:




"If you have a purpose in which you can believe, there's no end to the amount of things you can accomplish." ~ Marian Anderson




"You lose a lot of time, hating people." ~ Marian Anderson




"Prejudice: Sometimes it's like a hair across your cheek. You can't see it, you can't find it with your fingers, but you keep brushing at it because the feel of it is irritating." ~ Marian Anderson




"There are many persons ready to do what is right because in their hearts they know it is right. But they hesitate, waiting for the other fellow to make the make the first move - and he, in turn, waits for you." ~ Marian Anderson




"Fear is a disease that eats away at logic and makes man inhuman." ~ Marian Anderson




"Leadership should be born out of the understanding of the needs

of those who would be affected by it" ~ Marian Anderson


"Prayer begins where human capacity ends." ~ Marian Anderson



++++

Let us come together and worship.
You Lord are in the midst of us, and we are called by your name. Leave us not.Jeremiah 14:9

Jesus said: “If any of you would come after me, deny yourself
and take up your cross and follow me.” Mark 8:34

Christ Jesus, being found in human form, humbled himself and
became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:8

Ephesians 4:11-16

11The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ. 14We must no longer be children, tossed to and fro and blown about by every wind of doctrine, by people’s trickery, by their craftiness in deceitful scheming.15But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16from whom the whole body, joined and knitted together by every ligament with which it is equipped, as each part is working properly, promotes the body’s growth in building itself up in love.

OUR LITTLE LIVES - Howard Thurman

Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!
The quietness in Your temple of silence again and again rebuffs us:
For some there is no discipline to hold them steady in the waiting,
And the minds reject the noiseless invasion of Your spirit.
For some there is no will to offer what is central in the thoughts—
The confusion is so manifest, there is no starting place to take hold.
For some the evils of the world tear down all concentrations
And scatter the focus of the high resolves.
We do not know how to do what we know to do.
We do not know how to be what we know to be.
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!
Pour out upon us whatever our spirits need of shock, of life, of release
That we may find strength for these days—
Courage and hope for tomorrow.
In confidence we rest in Your sustaining grace
Which makes possible triumph in defeat, gain in loss, and love in hate.
We rejoice this day to say:
Our little lives, our big problems—these we place upon Your altar!

Anselm: We Bring Our Troubles

We bring before You, O God:
The troubles and perils of people and nations,
The sighings of the sick,
The sorrows of the bereaved,
The necessities of strangers,
The helplessness of the weak,
The despondency of the weary,
The failing powers of any age.
May each of us draw as near to You
As You are near to each of us.

THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES -Anonymous

Lest we forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest we forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest we forget You, the God of our fore bears who is our God also:

We light this candle of remembrance.

For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work:

We light this candle of consecration.

May the flame upon the altar of free faith shine in our hearts al ways, reminding us of the dark places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in every moment of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

God, of all love we come together tonight to accept your call to light our candles and pray. We pray this night to be loving towards one another. We pray this night for guidance in how we can best serve you in the world. We pray that we may be more giving of ourselves to others. We pray that we may be able to be hopeful and hope-filled to this fragile and broken world. We pray that we may shine your light and help people out of the dark places they find themselves in. We pray that we may be supportive in what ever decisions people make,  We pray for the least of these who struggle with the day to day issues of living. We pray that everyone will be lovingly included and not excluded and invisible. We pray that we may be peacemakers and children of God. We pray that we may "Strive for justice, and respect the dignity of every human being"* We pray that we may build bridges and tear down walls. We pray for the courage to speak truth to power. We pray for an end to hatred, violence and terror. We pray that we may use our voices not to hurt but to heal. We pray this night that we all may be one and that we may continue to pray for_____________, and all places where terror and violence have occurred even when the media fails to report it. May we all be one with those who mourn and stand vigil for the peace of the world and in the places where there is danger. God we lift up these prayers to you with hurting hearts, open hands up lifted, with loving care and voices. Amen.


IN LAK’ECH
Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez



"We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." ~ Thurgood Marshall


"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come." - Henri Nouwen


A Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.

Amen.


Confession of Need

Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.

May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

A Song of Wisdom Sapientia liberavit
Wisdom 10:15-19,20b-21

Wisdom freed from a nation of oppressors *
a holy people and a blameless race.
She entered the soul of a servant of the Lord, *
withstood dread rulers with wonders and signs.

To the saints she gave the reward of their labors, *
and led them by a marvelous way;
She was their shelter by day *
and a blaze of stars by night.

She brought them across the Red Sea, *
she led them through mighty waters;
But their enemies she swallowed in the waves *
and spewed them out from the depths of the abyss.

And then, Lord, the righteous sang hymns to your Name, *
and praised with one voice your protecting hand;
For Wisdom opened the mouths of the mute, *
and gave speech to the tongues of a new-born people.


John 8:1-11


81while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him and he sat down and began to teach them. 3The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, 4they said to him, ‘Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?’ 6They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, ‘Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.’ 8And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground.* 9When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10Jesus straightened up and said to her, ‘Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?’ 11She said, ‘No one, sir.’* And Jesus said, ‘Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.’]]*




31 In te, Domine, speravi

1 In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame; *
deliver me in your righteousness.

2 Incline your ear to me; *
make haste to deliver me.

3 Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
for you are my crag and my stronghold; *
for the sake of your Name, lead me and guide me.

4 Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me, *
for you are my tower of strength.

5 Into your hands I commend my spirit, *
for you have redeemed me,
O Lord, O God of truth.


6 I hate those who cling to worthless idols, *
and I put my trust in the Lord.

7 I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy; *
for you have seen my affliction;
you know my distress.

8 You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy; *
you have set my feet in an open place.

9 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; *
my eye is consumed with sorrow,
and also my throat and my belly.

10 For my life is wasted with grief,
and my years with sighing; *
my strength fails me because of affliction,
and my bones are consumed.

11 I have become a reproach to all my enemies and
even to my neighbors,
a dismay to those of my acquaintance; *
when they see me in the street they avoid me.

12 I am forgotten like a dead man, out of mind; *
I am as useless as a broken pot.

13 For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
fear is all around; *
they put their heads together against me;
they plot to take my life.

14 But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord. *
I have said, "You are my God.

15 My times are in your hand; *
rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
and from those who persecute me.

16 Make your face to shine upon your servant, *
and in your loving-kindness save me."

17 Lord, let me not be ashamed for having called upon you; *
rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
let them be silent in the grave.

18 Let the lying lips be silenced which speak against
the righteous, *
haughtily, disdainfully, and with contempt.

19 How great is your goodness, O Lord!
which you have laid up for those who fear you; *
which you have done in the sight of all
for those who put their trust in you.

20 You hide them in the covert of your presence from those
who slander them; *
you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.

21 Blessed be the Lord! *
for he has shown me the wonders of his love in a
besieged city.

22 Yet I said in my alarm,
"I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes." *
Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty
when I cried out to you.

23 Love the Lord, all you who worship him; *
the Lord protects the faithful,
but repays to the full those who act haughtily.

24 Be strong and let your heart take courage, *
all you who wait for the Lord.

John 8:12-20

12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’ 13Then the Pharisees said to him, ‘You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.’ 14Jesus answered, ‘Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15You judge by human standards;* I judge no one. 16Yet even if I do judge, my judgement is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father* who sent me. 17In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. 18I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.’ 19Then they said to him, ‘Where is your Father?’ Jesus answered, ‘You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.’ 20He spoke these words while he was teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.


35 Judica, Domine

1 Fight those who fight me, O Lord; *
attack those who are attacking me.


2 Take up shield and armor *
and rise up to help me.


3 Draw the sword and bar the way against those who pursue me; *
say to my soul, "I am your salvation."


4 Let those who seek after my life be shamed and humbled; *
let those who plot my ruin fall back and be dismayed.


5 Let them be like chaff before the wind, *
and let the angel of the Lord drive them away.


6 Let their way be dark and slippery, *
and let the angel of the Lord pursue them.


7 For they have secretly spread a net for me without a cause; *
without a cause they have dug a pit to take me alive.


8 Let ruin come upon them unawares; *
let them be caught in the net they hid;
let them fall into the pit they dug.


9 Then I will be joyful in the Lord; *
I will glory in his victory.


10 My very bones will say, "Lord, who is like you? *
You deliver the poor from those who are too strong for them,
the poor and needy from those who rob them."


11 Malicious witnesses rise up against me; *
they charge me with matters I know nothing about.

12 They pay me evil in exchange for good; *
my soul is full of despair.


13 But when they were sick I dressed in sack-cloth *
and humbled myself by fasting;

14 I prayed with my whole heart, as one would for a friend or a brother; *
I behaved like one who mourns for his mother, bowed down and grieving.


15 But when I stumbled, they were glad and gathered together; they gathered against me; * strangers whom I did not know tore me to pieces and would not stop.

16 They put me to the test and mocked me; * they gnashed at me with their teeth.

17 O Lord, how long will you look on? * rescue me from the roaring beasts,
and my life from the young lions.

18 I will give you thanks in the great congregation; * I will praise you in the mighty throng.

19 Do not let my treacherous foes rejoice over me, * nor let those who hate me without a cause wink at each other.


20 For they do not plan for peace, * but invent deceitful schemes against the
quiet in the land.

21 They opened their mouths at me and said, * "Aha! we saw it with our own eyes."

22 You saw it, O Lord; do not be silent; * O Lord, be not far from me.


23 Awake, arise, to my cause! * to my defense, my God and my Lord!


24 Give me justice, O Lord my God, according to your righteousness; * do not let them triumph over me.

25 Do not let them say in their hearts, "Aha! just what we want!" * Do not let them say, "We have swallowed him up."


26 Let all who rejoice at my ruin be ashamed and disgraced; * let those who boast against me be clothed with dismay and shame.


27 Let those who favor my cause sing out with joy and be glad; * let them say always, "Great is the Lord, who desires the prosperity of his servant."

28 And my tongue shall be talking of your righteousness * and of your praise all the day long.




John 9:1-17


9As he walked along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, ‘Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?’ 3Jesus answered, ‘Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God’s works might be revealed in him. 4We* must work the works of him who sent me* while it is day; night is coming when no one can work. 5As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.’ 6When he had said this, he spat on the ground and made mud with the saliva and spread the mud on the man’s eyes, 7saying to him, ‘Go, wash in the pool of Siloam’ (which means Sent). Then he went and washed and came back able to see. 8The neighbours and those who had seen him before as a beggar began to ask, ‘Is this not the man who used to sit and beg?’ 9Some were saying, ‘It is he.’ Others were saying, ‘No, but it is someone like him.’ He kept saying, ‘I am the man.’ 10But they kept asking him, ‘Then how were your eyes opened?’ 11He answered, ‘The man called Jesus made mud, spread it on my eyes, and said to me, “Go to Siloam and wash.” Then I went and washed and received my sight.’ 12They said to him, ‘Where is he?’ He said, ‘I do not know.’

13 They brought to the Pharisees the man who had formerly been blind. 14Now it was a sabbath day when Jesus made the mud and opened his eyes. 15Then the Pharisees also began to ask him how he had received his sight. He said to them, ‘He put mud on my eyes. Then I washed, and now I see.’ 16Some of the Pharisees said, ‘This man is not from God, for he does not observe the sabbath.’ But others said, ‘How can a man who is a sinner perform such signs?’ And they were divided. 17So they said again to the blind man, ‘What do you say about him? It was your eyes he opened.’ He said, ‘He is a prophet.’


23 Dominus regit me


1 The Lord is my shepherd; * I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures * and leads me beside still waters.

3 He revives my soul * and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.

4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; * for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; *you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.

6 Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, *and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


Collects of the Day:

Open the eyes of your church, O Lord, to the plight of the poor and the lonely, the homeless and destitute, the old and the sick, or the lonely and those who have none to care for them. Give to us the vision and compassion with which you so richly endowed your servant William Augustus Muhlenberg, that we may labor tirelessly to heal those who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow into joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Be gracious to your people, we entreat you, O Lord, that they, repenting day by day of the things that displease you, may be more and more filled with love of you and of your commandments; and, being supported by your grace in this life, may come to the full enjoyment of eternal life in your everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


From Industrial Christian Fellowship:

This week's prayer Focus
Historians and those whose work involves preserving and understanding the past

God of all ages; the same yesterday, today and forever; though we live in the present, part of what it means to be human is to have a sense of heritage; to have the capacity to understand and learn from those who have gone before. We thank you that our faith, preserved in manuscript, story and institution has been faithfully handed down to us through successive generations, strengthening our belief through the knowledge that it has sustained your people in so many eras of history. So we give you thanks for those who seek to help us understand our past; who make it accessible to us through books, monuments and museums; who preserve, restore and study its artifacts; who stretch our knowledge through research and exploration; who catalogue and record so that it’s stories will not be lost. May we not become so obsessed with the past, that we lose our sense of a Gospel that is relevant and pertinent to our contemporary world, and may we not become so dismissive of the past that we fail to appreciate the lessons that can be learned from it, and may we live our faith in a such a way as to make it meaningful to those generations that follow. AMEN

Marguerite Harmon Bro: For Trees

We thank You for trees, O God. We thank You for the trees of our childhood in whose shade we played and read and dreamed. We thank You for special trees which will always stand large in our memory be cause they became our trees. We thank You for great stretches of trees which make the forests, drawing sustenance from Your bounties of sun and water, earth and air, even as we draw strength from them.

PRAYER OF THE FARM WORKERS’ STRUGGLE
Show me the suffering of the most miserable;
So I will know my people’s plight.
Free me to pray for others;
For you are present in every person.
Help me take responsibility for my own life;
So that I can be free at last.
Grant me courage to serve others;
For in service there is" true life.
Give me honesty and patience;
So that I can work with other workers.
Bring forth song and celebration;
So that the Spirit will be alive among us.
Let the Spirit flourish anti grow;
So that we will never tire of the struggle.
Let us remember those who have died for justice;
For they have given us life.
Help us love even those who hate us;
So we can change the world.
Amen.
Written by Cesar E. Chavez, UFW Founder (1927-1993)
Cesar E. Chavez Foundation 1741 s. Harvard Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90006
213-733-6346 e-mail <chavezfdtn@igc.apc

Akhnaton: The Strength of the Earth

O living Source of Power,
Beautiful is Your dawning.

When You arise in the East,
You fill each land with beauty.

Glittering high above every land,
Your greatness is visible to all.

Though You are far away,
Your rays are upon the Earth.

Though You are high,
Your footprints are the day.

When You arise on the horizon,
You drive the darkness away.

When You send forth Your rays,
The lands are in daily festivity.

When You awaken them,
The cattle stand on their feet.

The trees and plants flourish;
Birds sing along the river.

All the animals dance on their feet
When You shine on them.

Your rays nourish every garden
As You make things live and grow.

Dawning, glittering, going and returning,
You make the season’s millions of forms.

Tribes and towns and cities all see You,
For You are the Strength of the Earth.

Joan Goodwin: To The Four Directions

Spirit of the East, spirit of air, of morning and springtime: Be with us as the sun rises, in times of beginning, times of planting. Inspire us with the fresh breath of courage as we go forth into new adventures.

Spirit of the South, spirit of fire, of noontime and summer: Be with us through the heat of the day and help us to be ever growing. Warm us with strength and energy for the work that awaits.

Spirit of the West, spirit of water, of evening and autumn: Be with us as the sun sets, and help us to enjoy a rich harvest. Flow through us with a cooling, healing quietness and bring us peace.

Spirit of the North, spirit of earth, of nighttime and winter: Be with us in the darkness, in the time of gestation. Ground us in the wisdom of the changing seasons as we celebrate the spiraling journey of our lives.

A Song of God’s Love
1 John 4:7-11
Beloved, let us love one another, *
for love is of God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, *
for God is Love.
In this the love of God was revealed among us, *
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through Jesus Christ.
In this is love, not that we loved God but that God loved us *
and sent his Son that sins might be forgiven.
Beloved, since God loved us so much, *
we ought also to love one another.
For if we love one another, God abides in us, *
and God’s love will be perfected in us.


Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

or the alternative form. From A New Zealand Prayer Book
Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

Let us pray in the words attributed to St. Francis and Teresa of Avila.
A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)
Christ Has No Body

“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”  

The Beatitudes Matthew 5:3–12
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10)

We offer our loving prayers and thanksgivings to you O God of mercy, peace, and justice, as we come together and lift up our prayers either aloud our silently.

God of many names heal this fragile and broken world that you created.
Forgive all of our deeds that led us to destroy and harm your world O God.

God of many names, take away all bitterness and division that have led  us away from you.
Lead us to become the loving and united family you created us to be.

God of many names, we pray for the healing of all our family members who are ill remembering especially___________
Heal our bodies, minds, and spirits also.

God of many names, we pray for all who are dying and who have died. May they have a peaceful transition into the Thin Places.
Help us O God to see death as only the shedding of our mortal bodies into souls of  everlasting life.

God of many names, be with all of our faith leaders and communities as they prepare for worship and devotion to you.
May we also prepare our souls and hearts to worship you wherever we may be this Sabbath weekend.

God of many names, we pray for the least of these who are our family members  and, who are refugees, victims of human trafficking, abuse, terror, bullying, ---phobias, religious persecution,  violence of any kind, and all those who are separated from their family members, nations and cultures by war or economic hardship.
May we see you in them at all times and in all places

God of many names, may we sew seeds of hope, joy, love, and peace and may we be truly united as your family of love.
Let us love one another and be untied as one!

God of many names, we offer our additional prayers, thanksgivings, celebrations, and remembrances  to you on behalf ourselves and others especially________________________

God of many names, we offer these our prayers in the name of your Son Jesus, our redeemer, healer, reconciler, brother, and friend. Amen.

Stay here for awhile and pray for all our family members who have unspoken prayers and remember to pray for all the families of those who seek to do evil that they may find solace and help in time of need. Remember that everyone is not excluded from our prayers even our enemies and those who wish us harm. 

The Wisdom of God the Love of God and the Grace of God strengthen youto be Christ’s hands and heart in this world, in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen. (source: Celtic) 

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

+++++

Good Night Dear Ones! I love you. For us when rise and remember Dietrich Bonhoeffer
I Cannot Do This Alone
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

O God, early in the morning I cry to you.
Help me to pray
And to concentrate my thoughts on you:
I cannot do this alone.
In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light;
I am lonely, but you do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help;
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you there is patience;
I do not understand your ways,
But you know the way for me…
Restore me to liberty,
And enable me to live now
That I may answer before you and before me.
Lord, whatever this day may bring,
Your name be praised.


Listen to this Hymn in preparation for his feast day.


From Satucket Lectionary Page:
[The following hymn was written by him in the concentration camp, shortly before his death.

By gracious powers so wonderfully sheltered,
and confidently waiting come what may,
we know that God is with us night and morning,
and never fails to greet us each new day.

Yet is this heart by its old foe tormented,
still evil days bring burdens hard to bear;
Oh, give our frightened souls the sure salvation
for which, O Lord, You taught us to prepare.

And when this cup You give is filled to brimming
with bitter suffering, hard to understand,
we take it thankfully and without trembling,
out of so good and so beloved a hand.

Yet when again in this same world You give us
the joy we had, the brightness of Your Sun,
we shall remember all the days we lived through,
and our whole life shall then be Yours alone.

This hymn appears in the 1982 Episcopal Hymnal (695). The translator is F. Pratt Green (1903- ) listed in hymnal indexes sometimes under Green and sometimes under Pratt Green. The translation copyright is Hope Publishing Company 1974.]


Peace, love, prayers, and God's Blessings be always yours,

Sara


P.S. Remember this!

Let 's explore God's Cathedral of Life a.k.a. Gaia a.k.a. The  Blue Planet this weekend! If you know Eucharistic Prayer C in the Book of Common Prayer you will know this closing:

At your command all things came to be: the vast expanse of
interstellar space, galaxies, suns, the planets in their courses,
and this fragile earth, our island home.
By your will they were created and have their being.

From the primal elements you brought forth the human race,
and blessed us with memory, reason, and skill. You made us
the rulers of creation. But we turned against you, and betrayed
your trust; and we turned against one another.
Have mercy, Lord, for we are sinners in your sight.

Again and again, you called us to return. Through prophets
and sages you revealed your righteous Law. And in the
fullness of time you sent your only Son, born of a woman, to
fulfill your Law, to open for us the way of freedom and peace.
By his blood, he reconciled us.
By his wounds, we are healed.

And therefore we praise you, joining with the heavenly
chorus, with prophets, apostles, and martyrs, and with all
those in every generation who have looked to you in hope, to
proclaim with them your glory, in their unending hymn:

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
    Hosanna in the highest.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
    Hosanna in the highest.
+++
May we seek to protect and care for God's Creation this weekend and always.

 In case you have trouble sleeping or are stressed out give these a try.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.


++++
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that God is Love.
Be still and know that You are Love.
Be sill and know that I Am Love.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Slowly inhale.
Hold.
Slowly exhale
Pause. Count to 10.


Breathing Exercises with Thich Nhat Hanh

“*Breathing in, I know this is my in-breath.
Breathing out, I know this is my out-breath.*

It's very simple, but very effective. When we bring our attention to our in-breath and our out-breath, we stop thinking of the past; we stop thinking of the future; and we begin to come home to ourselves...Don't think this practice doesn't apply to you. If we don't go home to ourselves, we can't be at our best and serve the world in the best way... Our quality of being is the foundation for the quality of our actions.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of my whole body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of my whole body.*

Breathing mindfully brings us back to our bodies. We have to acknowledge our bodies first because tension and suffering accumulate in the body. Breathing in this way, we create a kind of family reunion between mind and body. The mind becomes an embodied mind.
...We can't do our best if we don't know to release the tension and pain in ourselves. 

*Breathing in, I'm aware of the tension in my body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of the tension in my body.*

When we look at the suffering around us, at poverty, violence, or climate change, we may want to solve these things immediately. We want to do something. But to do something effectively and ethically, we need to be our best selves in order to be able to handle the suffering...
*Breathing in, I am aware of a painful feeling arising.
Breathing out, I release the painful feeling.*

This is a nonviolent and gentle way to help our bodies release tension and pain. It is possible to practice mindful breathing in order to produce a feeling of joy, a feeling of happiness. When we are well-nourished and know how to create joy, then we are strong enough to handle the deep pain within ourselves and the world.”
― Thich Nhat HanhGood Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society
The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh: A Litany for Peace


As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.
Silence
Let us pay attention to our breathing.
Silence
Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.
Silence
Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.
Silence
Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.
Silence
Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.
Silence
Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.
Silence
Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.
Silence
Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.
Silence
With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.

+++++++


The Story Of Earth And Life - Full Documentary- Blue Planet





Resources:
Walk With Me On Our Journey
YouTube
Book Of Common Prayer
Bible Gateway
Satucket Lectionary
Lectionary Page
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
World Healing Prayers
Harvard Square Library - Prayers for Today and Prayers of Power
A to Z quotes
A New Zealand Prayer Book

Previous Blogs:
An Evening meditating on the Words of Stephen Hawking and Helen Keller! Let us gather together as one!

An Evening of Meditating on the words of The Rev. Dr. James H. Cone- Reflecting upon difficult matters!


Meditating with the words of Cesar Chavez! Day II of our journey with notable social justice family members!

Walk With Me On Our Journey Salutes Dolores Huerta! Today's notable social justice family member!

Meditating on the words of Jacques Yves Cousteau our Notable Social Justice Family Member of the Day!

An Evening meditating on the Words of Jane Goodall our Social Justice Family Member Honoree!


Earth Month Wisdom:Let us hear the words of Ansel Adams and John Muir on God's Cathedral of Life!



Suggested Bible Readings for this weekend!
 Common of Scientists and Environmentalists
Old Testament
Genesis 2:9–20
2 Kings 2:19–22
Exodus 15:22–26
Ezekiel 36:33–38
Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) 1:1–10
Job 26:1–14
Wisdom 7:15–22
1 Kings 4:29–34
Job 28:1–12
Job 38:1–11
Common of Prophetic Witnesses


OldTestament
Exodus 22:21–27


Numbers 11:26–29


2 Chronicles 28:8–15


Isaiah 55:11–56:1


Jeremiah 22:1–4


Jeremiah 26:12–15


Ezekiel 22:23–30


Ezekiel 34:1–6,20–22


Amos 7:10–15


Wisdom 5:15–20

Psalm
2:1–2,10–

12


12:1–7


72:1–4, 12–14


103:6–14


113


126


NewTestament
Acts 14:14–17,21–23


Acts 22:30–23:10


1 Corinthians 13:1–13


Galatians 4:3–7


Ephesians 6:10–20



James 2:1–8


James 2:14–17


2 Peter 1:16–21


1 John 3:11–17


1 John 4:16b–21

Gospel
Matthew 10:40–42


Matthew 11:2–6


Matthew 21:12–16


Mark 4:21–29


Luke 4:14–21


Luke 11:5–10
Luke 13:10–17
Luke 18:1–8


John 8:30–32


John 17:1–5




For Fruitful Seasons

Psalm 147 or 147:1-13
Deuteronomy 11:10-15 or Ezekiel 47:6-12 or Jeremiah 14:1-9
Romans 8:18-25 Mark 4:26-32

Stewardship of Creation

Psalm 104:25-37 or 104:1,13-15,25-32 Job 38:1-11,16-18
1 Timothy 6:7-10,17-19 Luke 12:13-21

Social Justice

Psalm 72 or 72:1-4,12-14 Isaiah 42:1-7
James 2:5-9,12-17Matthew 10:32-42

Social Service:

Psalm 146 or 22:22-27 Zechariah 8:3-12,16-17
1 Peter 4:7-11 Mark 10:42-52

Goodness of God's Creation:

Psalm 104: 24-31Job 14:7-9
Romans 1:20-23Mark 16:14-15

Space Exploration:


Psalm 19:1-6 Job 38:4-12,16-18
or Canticle 12
Revelation 1:7-8,12-16 John 15:5-9

Today's Readings:
Be gracious to your people, we entreat you, O Lord, that they, repenting day by day of the things that displease you, may be more and more filled with love of you and of your commandments; and, being supported by your grace in this life, may come to the full enjoyment of eternal life in your everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Monday:
Daily
AM Psalm 31; PM Psalm 35
Jer. 24:1-10Rom. 9:19-33John 9:1-17

Saints of the Day:
William Augustus Muhlenberg

Open the eyes of your church, O Lord, to the plight of the poor and the lonely, the homeless and destitute, the old and the sick, or the lonely and those who have none to care for them. Give to us the vision and compassion with which you so richly endowed your servant William Augustus Muhlenberg, that we may labor tirelessly to heal those who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow into joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



God of justice and truth, do not let your Church close its eyes to the plight of the poor and neglected, the homeless and destitute, the old and the sick, the lonely and those who have none to care for them. Give us that vision and compassion with which you so richly endowed William Augustus Muhlenberg and Anne Ayers, that we may labor tirelessly to heal those who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow into joy; through Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



Tomorrow's Readings

Almighty God, through the incarnate Word you have caused us to be born anew of an imperishable and eternal seed: Look with compassion upon those who are being prepared for Holy Baptism, and grant that they may be built as living stones into a spiritual temple acceptable to you; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Tuesday:

Embolden our lives, O Lord, and inspire our faiths, that we, following the example of your servant Dietrich Bonhoeffer, might embrace your call with undivided hearts; through Jesus Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment