Saturday, May 18, 2019

Our Weekend Vigil is Here! An evening with Mary Jane McLeod Bethune!





Good Evening Dear Family,

Happy Self-Care Saturday! Today many friends of mine said farewell to our mentor and friend Jo Beck. She was my early childhood studies mentor teacher. I was also the ECS tutor for her classes. Jo taught me many things about clutter and that some of the clutter was in the category meaningful messes. Lately I have many of those. Today we remember Jo and also today's featured saint Mary McCloud Bethune. This time of the year it is challenging for those who teach and those who learn. We remember our teachers, students, and all who are in the midst of crisis today as they are the focus of our vigil tonight.

Let us ponder the words of Mary McCloud Bethune. (Satucket misspelled her last name on the link)


"Believe in yourself, learn, and never stop wanting to build a better world." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"A woman is free if she lives by her own standards and creates her own destiny, if she prizes her individuality and puts no boundaries on her hopes for tomorrow." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune


"We have a powerful potential in our youth, and we must have the courage to change old ideas and practices so that we may direct their power toward good ends." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune


"If we accept and acquiesce in the face of discrimination, we accept the responsibility ourselves. We should, therefore, protest openly everything ... that smacks of discrimination or slander." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune


"I leave you love. I leave you hope. I leave you the challenge of developing confidence in one another. I leave you respect for the use of power. I leave you faith. I leave you racial dignity." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"Faith is the first factor in a life devoted to service. Without it, nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune


"I plunged into the job of creating something from nothing.... Though I hadn't a penny left, I considered cash money as the smallest part of my resources. I had faith in a living God, faith in myself, and a desire to serve." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"Next to God we are indebted to women, first for life itself, and then for making it worth living." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"The progress of the world will call for the best that all of us have to give." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"World peace and brotherhood are based on a common understanding of the contributions and cultures of all races and creeds" ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"In each experience of my life, I have had to step out of one little space of the known light, into a large area of darkness. I had to stand awhile in the darkness, and then gradually God has given me light. But not to linger in. For as soon as that light has felt familiar, then the call has always come to step out ahead again into new darkness." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"To those of you with your years of service still ahead, the challenge is yours. Stop doubting yourselves. Have the courage to make up your minds and hold your decisions. Refuse to be BOUGHT for a nickel, or a million dollars, or a job!" ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"Our children must never lose their zeal for
building a better world." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune


"We live in a world which respects power above all things. Power, intelligently directed, can lead to more freedom. Unwisely directed, it can be a dreadful, destructive force." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"Invest in the human soul. Who knows, it might be a diamond in the rough." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

"If we have the courage and tenacity of our forebears, who stood firmly like a rock against the lash of slavery, we shall find a way to do for our day what they did for theirs." ~ Mary McLeod Bethune

++++

Come let us worship.

Jesus said, ‘Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant will also be. My Father will honour the one who serves me.’ John 12:26

If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:31,32

Go peaceful
in gentleness
through the violence of these days.
Give freely.
Show tenderness
in all your ways.
Through darkness,
in troubled times
let holiness be your aim.
Seek wisdom.
Let faithfulness
burn like a flame.
God speed you!
God lead you,
and keep you wrapped around His heart!
May you be known by love.
Be righteous.
Speak truthfully
in a world of greed and lies.
Show kindness.
See everyone
through heaven’s eyes.
God hold you,
enfold you,
and keep you wrapped around His heart.
May you be known by love.
Paul Field


We light our candles and make vigil for those who teach and those who learn and all who are facing any struggle this night.


O Gracious Light Phos hilaron

O gracious Light,
pure brightness of the everliving Father in heaven,
O Jesus Christ, holy and blessed!
Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing your praises, O God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
You are worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, O Giver of life,
and to be glorified through all the worlds.





Lighting a candle before prayer and worship

As we now bring fire to this candle wick,
Making it glow with light,
May we also bring the fire of love,
To this time of prayer and worship.
May this holy candle send forth dancing rays,
Like sunrise on the most glorious morning,
And may these rays of light,
Encircle us and those we love.
Amen.

(www.prayersandspirituality.com)


Lord shine in our hearts with thanksgiving this night and tomorrow!
Light One Candle

Lord help us to show your light to others and those who may be in difficult circumstances.
Light One Candle.

Lord Give us courage to speak truth to power in love and support of the powerless.
Light One Candle

Lord Help us to be the light to those who grieve and those who are in transition.
Light One Candle

Lord May we continue to be the nation where the lamp of liberty was lit.
Light One Candle.

Lord May our hearts be light and joyous in these stressful and anxious times.
Light One Candle.

Lord Help us to believe even when we are having doubts.
Light One Candle

Lord give to all of our family members safety on their travels. Be a beacon of light and safety.
Light One Candle.

Help us to be the light!
Light One Candle.

For those of our Christian Family members and all family members: "The Light of Christ in me recognizes the light of Christ in you."
Light One Candle.


God of all power, love, mercy and radiant light, strengthen us we pray as we light our candles and be at prayer. We pray for your healing power among us who are ill. We pray that we may lovingly respond to our family members who are in need of loving comfort when they are going through any crisis. We pray this night for an end to all forms of weaponry and violence. We pray that we may have courage to lean on you when we feel our energy waning. We pray for all family members who are being robbed of power due to abuse, human trafficking, slavery, bullying, and people who make them feel insignificant and invisible. We pray for peace in this fragile and broken world and in our hearts and minds. We pray that we may listen to your call to serve and be empowered to carry your light, your love, your mercy, with listening ears and open hearts. We pray this night and as we remember this The Love and Light that God gave me, I give to you and to all of our family members. May we reflect God's love and light and feel God's holy power indwelling in us and calling us to pray and serve. May we know that there's power in our prayers and it comes from you O God. Amen.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez



Christ our Passover     Pascha nostrum
1 Corinthians 5:7-8; Romans 6:9-11; 1 Corinthians 15:20-22
Alleluia.
Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us; *
    therefore let us keep the feast,
Not with old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, *
    but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. Alleluia.
Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; *
    death no longer has dominion over him.
The death that he died, he died to sin, once for all; *
    but the life he lives, he lives to God.
So also consider yourselves dead to sin, *
    and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Alleluia.


Christ has been raised from the dead, *
    the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep.
For since by a man came death, *
    by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.
For as in Adam all die, *
    so in Christ shall all be made alive. Alleluia.

A Smudging Prayer from Metis Aboriginal Ministries.
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.





I will not die an unlived life,
I will not live in fear
of falling or catching fire.
I choose to inhabit my days,
to allow my living to open me,
to make me less afraid,
more accessible,
to loosen my heart
until it becomes a wing,
a torch, a promise…
Dawna Markova



Psalm 34:11-17;

Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good?
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.
The face of the Lord is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

Ecclesiasticus 39:1-10

39But he that giveth his mind to the law of the most High, and is occupied in the meditation thereof, will seek out the wisdom of all the ancient, and be occupied in prophecies.
2He will keep the sayings of the renowned men: and where subtil parables are, he will be there also.
3He will seek out the secrets of grave sentences, and be conversant in dark parables.
4He shall serve among great men, and appear before princes: he will travel through strange countries; for he hath tried the good and the evil among men.
5He will give his heart to resort early to the Lord that made him, and will pray before the most High, and will open his mouth in prayer, and make supplication for his sins.
6When the great Lord will, he shall be filled with the spirit of understanding: he shall pour out wise sentences, and give thanks unto the Lord in his prayer.
7He shall direct his counsel and knowledge, and in his secrets shall he meditate.
8He shall shew forth that which he hath learned, and shall glory in the law of the covenant of the Lord.
9Many shall commend his understanding; and so long as the world endureth, it shall not be blotted out; his memorial shall not depart away, and his name shall live from generation to generation.
10Nations shall shew forth his wisdom, and the congregation shall declare his praise.

Psalm  119: 97-104

97O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
98Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
99I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
100I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
101I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.
102I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
103How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem

Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22

Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.




1 Corinthians 3:5-11

5 What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each. 6I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 7So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. 8The one who plants and the one who waters have a common purpose, and each will receive wages according to the labour of each. 9For we are God’s servants, working together; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building on it. Each builder must choose with care how to build on it. 11For no one can lay any foundation other than the one that has been laid; that foundation is Jesus Christ.


Proverbs 4:1-9

4Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
2For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
3For I was my father’s son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
4He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
5Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
6Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
7Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
8Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
9She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.


Matthew 13:52-58 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

52 And he said to them, “Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.” 53 When Jesus had finished these parables, he left that place.

The Rejection of Jesus at Nazareth
54 He came to his hometown and began to teach the people[a] in their synagogue, so that they were astounded and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these deeds of power? 55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56 And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all this?” 57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “Prophets are not without honor except in their own country and in their own house.” 58 And he did not do many deeds of power there, because of their unbelief.



Jesus Christ, invincible light of the world,
thank you for Mary Jane McLeod Bethune
and for all whose vision has enlightened us
and brought us near to you.
Keep us imaginative, expectant
and willing to learn,
so that we may come even closer to the light.

(Alternative form of the Lord's Prayer as found in the New Zealand Prayer Book.)
Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

Matthew 5:1–10

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


Let us continue with prayer: Please respond this way:

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these.

Beside the still waters we come  to seek you  God  in the quietness of our being

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we come to pray for peace in this fragile and broken world of  yours

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we pray for and end to all anxiety, fear, and worry that our minds and spirits may be still.
Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we pray for our neighbors all over the world that we may find unity and learn to love one another as dearly loved family members of Yours.

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we come for respite, relaxation, rest, and renewal. We pray for calmness as we rest in your arms and never ending love and mercy.

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we come to ask prayers for all our family members who are in need of healing and strength remembering___________________

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these


Beside the still waters we come seeking solace for those of us who are living through the long journey of mourning and grief.

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we come praying for all the least of these and all who are affected by violence, terror, abuse, and everyone who is struggling through the world's calamities.

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these


Beside the still waters we give thanks for the lives who have entered eternal joy today and those who are in the midst of transitioning from this earthly life into a heavenly one.

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit!  Comfort the dying with your enfolding and loving spirit. 
Beside the still waters we pray for all who are lost, lonely, alone and seeking companionship. We pray that our hearts may be stilled as we wait. We pray that we may not lose heart and live boldly,yet gently alone.

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we pray for _____________________

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these

Beside the still waters we give thanks for _______________

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Come Holy Spirit! Breathe in us New Life and Love Energy in us to do your will and serve the least of these. 

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen us
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)


May the God of hope fill us with all joy and peace in
believing through the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Romans 15:13


++++

Good Night Dear Ones! I love you! Here is the collect for tomorrow:

Almighty God, whom truly to know is everlasting life: Grant
us so perfectly to know your Son Jesus Christ to be the way,
the truth, and the life, that we may steadfastly follow his
steps in the way that leads to eternal life; through Jesus Christ
your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity
of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

+++

May we rest gentle in God's arms this night and enjoy our Sabbath Rest tomorrow.

Abundant Blessings and Love,

Sara


Resources;
Oremus Bible Browser
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
Other resources as noted
Enriching Our Worship.
Book of Common Prayer
Walk With Me On Our Journey.
A New Zealand Prayer Book





No comments:

Post a Comment