Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Visioning our Journey!









Good Evening Beloved Ones!

Welcome to Celtic Advent Day 3! Yes, day 3! I miss counted so that means we light 3 candles or turn on our porch lights. Today we begin our Advent Journal with the first topic of Visioning our Journey! Where do we see ourselves on Christmas Day? We are in a time where we get to have our spiritual eyes checked. I am using this imagery because I have been visiting the ophthalmologist twice this month for vision tests and regular check ups. Yesterday I had visual field tests that check peripheral vision. Here is a spiritual visioning question: How far are you allowing yourself to see beyond your visual comfort zone? Is it clear or is it blurry? Let your mind wander, let your spirit soar, and hopefully let your feet and voice walk the walk and talk the talk. We begin with these two hymns! 

Day By Day:
"Day by day, dear Lord, of thee three things I pray:
to see thee more clearly,
love thee more dearly,
follow thee more nearly,
day by day." ~ Richard of Chichester

Be thou my vision-

Be thou my vision, O Christ of my heart,
Be all else but naught to me save that thou art,
Be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
Both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Riches I heed not, nor folk’s empty praise,
Be thou my inheritance now and always,
Be thou and thou only the first in my heart,
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.




Today's Calendar Work:
November 17: Place Mary & Joseph far from the stable but where you can see them. Start them on their journey to the nativity.


Stay with us, Christ, for it is evening.
Make your Church bright with your radiance.

We are on Day 3 of Celtic Advent !


Let us light our 3 candles for the 3 days of Celtic Advent and pray for unity among all people and that we may strive to be as one in heart, mind, and spirit. We light our second candles for our family members who have been affected by the wildfires and Covid 19  We remember in our hearts those who have died and those who are unaccounted for. We extend our prayers for our family members who are estranged from one another this time of year. 







Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height and look toward the
east, and see your children gathered from west and east at the
word of the Holy One. Baruch 5:5

"May the strength of God pilot us, may the wisdom of God instruct us, may the hand of God protect us, may the word of God direct us. Be always ours this day and for evermore." ~ Saint Patrick

Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for thse who abuse you. Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return; for God is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish.
Be merciful as your father is merciful. Judge not and you will not be judged. Condemn not and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Give and it will be given to you; for the measure you give will be the measure you receive.From Luke 6:27–38

"May we know You more clearly, love You more dearly, and follow You more nearly, day by day." ~ Richard of Chichester

Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the skies rain down
righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation may spring up,
and let it cause righteousness to sprout up also. Isaiah 45:8, NRSV

"God sees hearts as we see faces." ~ George Herbert

"I am certain in my heart that all that I am, I have received from God." ~ Saint Patrick

"Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort me and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger." ~ Saint Patrick

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good tidings, who publish salvation.Isaiah 52:7

Jesus said to Peter, ‘Feed my sheep.’John 21:15

Those who have clean hands and a pure heart, who have not set their minds on falsehood, or sworn and deceitful oath, shall receive blessing from the Lord and recompense from God their saviour.Psalm 24:4, 5

Walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us.Ephesians 5:2a

"I was no longer the centre of my life and therefore I could see God in everything." ~ Venerable Bede




A PRAYER FOR GOD’S LIGHT
Eternal God, shed your light on us who watch for you,
that our lips may praise you,
our hearts bless you,
and our lives glorify you,
through Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Amen.


Christ, as a light
illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield
overshadow me.
Christ under me;
Christ over me;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Christ as a light;
Christ as a shield;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
(From The Northumbria Community)


"I arise today
Through the strength of heaven:
Light of sun
Brilliance of moon
Splendor of fire
Speed of lightning
Swiftness of wind
Depth of sea
Stability of earth
Firmness of rock." ~ Saint Patrick

Light of the World Phos hilaron
Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Yours is the day, O God, yours also the night; you established the
moon and the sun.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc
Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi
O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.

Yours is the day, O God, yours also the night; you established the
moon and the sun.

God of All Kindness, we light our candles for all of our family members around the world who do not have access to food, clothing,shelter, clean water, and medical care. We pray for all of our family members who do not have a home to return to either by natural disaster or war and terrorist acts. We pray for all the many aid agencies that are struggling to meet the needs of our family members where resources are scarce. We pray that we may rise up and help them to seek and find solutions to the scarcity of programs and unmet needs. We pray for peace in this fragile and broken world and an end to terror, hatred, bullying and abuse. We pray for each other tonight and as God to heal, help, and console us as we struggle with aspects of daily living. We pray for justice and universal human rights for all. We pray that we may follow Jesus by being CALM(Compassionate, accepting, Loving, and Merciful). May we love one another and shine the light of Christ one to another "The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!"  May we all have a restful and blessed rest this night and always. 

Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love?' These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will be many fruits, here in this world and the life to come.
Henri Nouwen

A Smudging Prayer
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.
Amen.
Image result for smudging ceremony

We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better." - Thurgood Marshall

From The Arusha Call to Discipleship

Loving God, we thank you for the gift of life in all its diversity and beauty. Lord Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, we praise you that you came to find the lost, to free the oppressed, to heal the sick, and to convert the self-centred. Holy Spirit, we rejoice that you breathe in the life of the world and are poured out into our hearts. As we live in the Spirit, may we also walk in the Spirit. Grant us faith and courage to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus: becoming pilgrims of justice and peace in our time. For the blessing of your people, the sustaining of the earth, and the glory of your name. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

"Nobody escapes being wounded. We are all wounded people, whether physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually. The main question is not, 'How can we hide our wounds?' so we don't have to be embarrassed, but 'How can we put our woundedness in the service of others?' When our wounds cease to be a source of shame, and become a source of healing, we have become wounded healers." ~ Henri Nouwen

"Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish. Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human." ~ Henri Nouwen


IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez
Hymn

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.




The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.


'The Call' - George Herbert

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life;
Such a Way as gives us breath,
Such a Truth as ends all strife,
Such a Life as killeth death.

Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength;
Such a Light as shows a Feast,
Such a Feast as mends in length,
Such a Strength as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart;
Such a Joy as none can move,
Such a Love as none can part,
Such a Heart as joys in love.

15 Domine, quis habitabit?


1 Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle? *
who may abide upon your holy hill?

2 Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right, *
who speaks the truth from his heart.

3 There is no guile upon his tongue;
he does no evil to his friend; *
he does not heap contempt upon his neighbor.

4 In his sight the wicked is rejected, *
but he honors those who fear the Lord.

5 He has sworn to do no wrong *
and does not take back his word.

6 He does not give his money in hope of gain, *
nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.

7 Whoever does these things *
shall never be overthrown.


A Song of the Wilderness

Isaiah 35:1-7,10

The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;

It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.

They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.

Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;

The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.

The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.


Revelation 3:1-6,14-22

The Message to Sardis

3‘And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars:

‘I know your works; you have a name for being alive, but you are dead. 2Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is at the point of death, for I have not found your works perfect in the sight of my God. 3Remember then what you received and heard; obey it, and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you. 4Yet you have still a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes; they will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. 5If you conquer, you will be clothed like them in white robes, and I will not blot your name out of the book of life; I will confess your name before my Father and before his angels. 6Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.


The Message to Laodicea

14 ‘And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the origin* of God’s creation:


15 ‘I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. 16So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17For you say, “I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing.” You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich; and white robes to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen; and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. 19I reprove and discipline those whom I love. Be earnest, therefore, and repent. 20Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me. 21To the one who conquers I will give a place with me on my throne, just as I myself conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.’

Be thou my Vision


1 Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
naught be all else to me, save that thou art--
thou my best thought by day or by night,
waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.

2 Be thou my wisdom, and thou my true word;
I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord;
thou my great Father, I thy true son;
thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

3 Be thou my battle shield, sword for my fight;
be thou my dignity, thou my delight,
thou my soul's shelter, thou my high tow'r:
raise thou me heav'n-ward, O Pow'r of my pow'r.

4 Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
thou mine inheritance, now and always:
thou and thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my treasure thou art.

5 High King of heaven, my victory won,
may I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'n's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be my vision, O Ruler of all.
Translator: Mary E. Byrne; Versifier: Eleanor H. Hull

Luke 19:1-10
Jesus and Zacchaeus
19He entered Jericho and was passing through it. 2A man was there named Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax-collector and was rich. 3He was trying to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was short in stature. 4So he ran ahead and climbed a sycomore tree to see him, because he was going to pass that way. 5When Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, ‘Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today.’ 6So he hurried down and was happy to welcome him. 7All who saw it began to grumble and said, ‘He has gone to be the guest of one who is a sinner.’ 8Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, ‘Look, half of my possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay back four times as much.’ 9Then Jesus said to him, ‘Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham. 10For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost.

A Song of the Spirit
Revelation 22:12-17
“Behold, I am coming soon,” says the Lord,
“and bringing my reward with me, *
to give to everyone according to their deeds.
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, *
the beginning and the end.”
Blessed are those who do God’s commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, *
and may enter the city through the gates.
“I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you, *
with this testimony for all the churches.
“I am the root and the offspring of David, *
I am the bright morning star.”
“Come!” say the Spirit and the Bride; *
“Come!” let each hearer reply!
Come forward, you who are thirsty, *
let those who desire take the water of life as a gift.


The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

Or this
Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.


Jesus, you are the way through the wilderness: show us your
truth in which we journey, and by the grace of the Holy Spirit be
in us the life that draws us to God. Amen.
(source: F.B. McNutt, The Prayer Manual [London: Mowbray, 1961], p. 29,
adapted)


Holy God, who endowed your servant Hugh of Lincoln with wise and cheerful boldness, and taught him to commend the discipline of holy life to kings and princes: Grant that we also, rejoicing in the Good News of your mercy, and fearing nothing but the loss of you, may be bold to speak the truth in love, in the name of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

O God our shield and armor of light, whom we adore with all the
angelic host: defend us from evil; watch over any who are in
danger this night and give your angels charge over them; and
grant that we may always rejoice in your heavenly protection
and serve you bravely in the world; through Jesus Christ our
Savior. Amen

Choose a set of prayers:
Set I
God of all creation we come to you this night in the silence of our beings to be at one with you!

God of all creation we come to you at this present moment ready to respond to your call and the new life paths and vocations you have set our feet and lives upon. Give us courage to say "yes" with LoveEnergy and being empowered by the Holy Spirit into positive acts of love, kindness, justice, unity for all of our family members. 



God of all creation we come to offer our prayers and thanksgivings for ourselves and on behalf of others. We pray and give thanks especially for_____________________________________

God of all creation bind us into one family of love and that all of  our divisions may cease  with all living things and all that you have made.

God of all creation  take away all hatred from all of our family members who wish harm to our brothers and sisters who are most vulnerable and feeling unsafe, unwanted, and unloved.

God of all creation, bring to all drought parched areas of  the world much needed rain showers that will cleanse and heal your Cathedral of Life.


God of all creation, we pray for all of your children who are near death and have made the journey into The Thin Places to be with you in your eternal home of peace and joy.

God of all creation, may our hearts blossom with lov
e for all living things and that we may practice conservation.

God of all creation, may we be compassionate, giving, and comforting towards all who are ill, in need, homeless, hungry, and in mourning May we help our brothers and sisters lay down and share their burdens no matter how light or heavy. For you taught us to share and give of ourselves.

God of all creation, may we continue to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with you with light footsteps upon this fragile and broken world.  May we with your help speak truth to power and never forget that we are to be your voice and that we must speak for our voiceless and fearful family members.

God of all creation, protect and let peace and justice prevail in our own country and Iraq, Somalia, Niger, 
Burundi,Central America,Ecuador,Japan,Syria,Jordan,South Sudan,Democratic Republic of the Congo, Pakistan, and the Palestinian Territory,and all other places in this world. and may we never forget the refugees, persecuted, and all of our family members who have lost their lives by acts of violence and terror. 

God of all creation, we lay down our bodies, minds, and spirits and take our rest and lift these our prayers and thanksgivings in the name of your only begotten Son Jesus the Christ our Redeemer, Healer, and Voice for all the voiceless. Amen.

Set II

Prayers of Hope

Let us pray!

God of Hope, as we enter fully into the Fall and Winter Months  may we be given lenses that show us many things and where you would have us go, and what we are to become. Help us to lay down our worries and fears so that we may wait, watch, pray, and listen to you with open ears, hearts, and spirits.

God of Hope we pray for all of our family members who are in need of hope when they feel hopeless. Help us to bring hope to Your fragile and broken world.

God of Hope we pray for all our family members who are forced to live on the streets and out of doors during the cold weather. We pray that they may find sheltered areas from the winds, cold, rain, and snow. We pray that there may be homeless shelters and warming centers that will meet their needs as we know that one shelter type doesn't fit all.

God of Hope, we pray for our littlest family members who are in children's hospitals and PICU that they may be healed and be able to enjoy the holidays with their families.

God of Hope, we pray for all those who are dying and have died today that they may feel your loving presence and give them hope as they enter the Thin Places.

God of Hope, show us how to help creatively without having to write a check.

God of Hope, we pray for peace in your fragile and broken world. May we truly be blessed as peacemakers and find ourselves as your children. 

God of Hope, we pray for all caregivers that they my find rest and respite. 

God of Hope, we thank you for the gift of rain. May we continue to have more rain to refresh, replenish, and renew your  drought parched earth.

God of Hope, help us to see You in all of our Family of Love's faces and that we may act accordingly and love, honor, and respect each other.

God of Hope, help us to love more fully, care more deeply, comfort with more compassion, and be more accepting  and inclusive of all our family members.

God of Hope help us to console and comfort all who mourn at any stage of grief. Give us courage not to let any of our family members fall through the cracks. 

God of Hope, we pray this night for all refugees, captives, political prisoners, victims of violence and abuse of any kind, victims of human trafficking and slavery. 

God of Hope, we pray for ourselves and on behalf of others remembering especially______________

God of Hope, we offer our thanksgivings remembering especially______________________

God of Hope, we offer these our prayers and thanksgivings in the name of your only begotten son Jesus. Amen.

Set III
    

Now let us take time to pray to the loving and merciful God who made us and speaks to us gently and lovingly to our hearts,minds, and spirits every minute that we live, move, and just be!

God speak to our troubled minds and spirits as we prepare for our night's rest. We pray that we may take time to rest and pray more fully and in the knowledge that you are holding us and our family members in your arms that are loving and merciful.

God  we pray for peace in our hearts, minds, bodies, spirits, and this world that you have created. We pray especially for unity where there is deep division. We pray that we may become truly peacemakers and learn what it is to make peace at all levels of our being.

God we pray for all of our family members who are ill in body, mind, and spirit that they may be healed. We remember this day_____________________

God we pray for all of our family members who have died and are transitioning into new lives in the Thin Places and Eternal Life and Joy.

God we pray for all who are struggling to find meaning and new life paths by life's wrinkly twists and turns.

God we pray for all who are being affected by severe weather remembering especially the people in the path of Matthew and all other places in our nation and throughout the world.

God we pray for all refugees, captives, victims of violence and abuse, and terror. 

God we pray that we may love, include, and never treat anyone as invisible and give everyone a sense of belonging.

God of all Goodness we lift up these our prayers in the Name of Jesus. Amen.


The Beatitudes
5 When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Christ has no body now but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours, Yours are the eyes with which he looks compassion on this world. Christ has no body now on earth but yours. A statue cannot be Christ in this world because a statue cannot be animated by the Holy Spirit. - Teresa of Avila



A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.


God,as this is our last prayer this evening and since you have told us" the first shall be last and the last" we pray for all the peoples of the earth and especially those who live in the wildfire ravaged areas of California, refugees, victims of violence, terror, human trafficking that peace, love justice, and mercy may prevail upon Earth. We lay these our petitions and thanksgivings in the loving arms of your son Jesus ,our brother, friend, Savior, and Great Physician. Amen.

Gaelic Prayer: Ancient Blessing
May the blessing of light be on you, light without and light within. May the blessed Sunlight shine on you and warm your heart until it glows, so that a stranger may come and be warmed by it, and also a friend. May the light shine out of the two eyes of you like a candle set in two windows of a house, bidding the wanderer to come in out of the storm.

May the blessing of the Rain be on you-soft, sweet rain. May it fall upon your spirit so that flowers may spring up. And may the Great Rains be on you. May they beat upon your spirit and wash it fair and clean, and leave there many a shining pool where the blue of heaven shines reflected, and sometimes a star.

May the blessing of the Earth be on you-the great and round earth. May you have a kindly greeting for folks you pass as you’re going along the roads. May the earth be soft under you when you lie upon it, tired at the close of the day.


The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis
          Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free * 
    to go in peace as you have promised; 
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, * 
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see: 
A Light to enlighten the nations, * 
    and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: * 
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)


Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

We continue to  take time to breathe and listen. Remember these questions from last year? Let us take time to refresh our memories and reflect upon them. 
 
Every thing we do in service to God and with God needs to be reflected upon before we take action and afterwards. We need to ask ourselves these questions:
Are we doing it to glorify God or our ego?
Will our actions bring us closer to God as represented in the lives of our family members?
Are we going to be enthusiastic risk takers and get out of our comfort zones and comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable?
Are we going to become holy bridge builders?
Are we going to follow Jesus and use him as the compass in being the change in this fragile and broken world?
Are our motives pure?
Are our actions going to be rooted in  Micah 6:8, The Beatitudes and Matthew 25?




Good Night Dear Family! I love you! May we rest gentle in God's loving arms and abiding presence this night and always.

With love and blessings in oneness!

Sara
+++

Resources:
Lectionary  Page
A to Z quotes
Contemplative Cottage: Celtic Advent Calendar 2020
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
Quote sites for prayers
Northumbria Community
A New Zealand Prayer Book
In Lak "Ech - Luis Valdez
Walk With Me On Our Journey

Bonus 
"People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle." ~ Nhat Hanh


Celtic Advent: November 16th

This was the traditional beginning of monastic fasting and preparation for the feast of Christmas, reflecting Lent in lasting for forty days. We seek to prepare the way for the Lord to come right to the centre of our lives. Every valley and pot-hole should be filled in, every mountain and hill levelled and every obstacle removed. The mountains are the wrongs we do, and the pot-holes are the good things we fail to do.
It is said that the door to the stable where the Christ-child has been born is very low – and only those who kneel find access. Being ready for Christmas should mean that our thoughts are focused not just on letters, cards, food and drink, and presents, but on repentance, humility and interior ‘house-cleaning’. The more we prepare in this way, the less we will be overwhelmed by the commercialisation of Christmas.
Prepare a way for the Lord!

Show me, Lord Jesus, how I may best prepare to celebrate Your birth into this world. Show me those things I need to repent of, that I may find Your forgiveness. Show me how to avoid the greed and selfishness of this season and focus on what is truly essential. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment