Tuesday, March 5, 2019

A time for pancakes and getting rid of the leaven in our lives!





Countdown to Lent 2019! Today is Mardi Gras (Shrove Tuesday) Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday! Have you decided upon your Lenten discipline yet? Take your time there isn't any rush!This isn't like making New Year's resolutions! 

Good Evening Dear Family

Happy Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Martes gordo! The eve of Lent is upon us and it is time for a teachable moment. Here is the definition of Shrove Tuesday from our friends at the Northumbria Community:


Shrove Tuesday is the last day before the start of Lent. Traditionally it was a day on which Christians sought to be absolved from their sins, or shriven, in preparation for the solemn fast of Lent. That meant not simply giving up cakes, chocolate or some other individual type of foodstuff, but fasting from meat, eggs and dairy products and sometimes fish, except on Sundays. Consequently on Shrove Tuesday all such items were cleared from the larder and eaten in a spirit of carnival. As dairy products were banned during Lent, it became the custom in Britain to make pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, and so the day also became known as Pancake Day. The custom continues today, often accompanied by competitions in pancake tossing, or by pancake races.
For Christians it is still a day on which to make an honest assessment of ourselves, including our failings, in order to submit ourselves to the cleansing and renewing power of the Saviour. It is also a day of celebration, as we prepare to enter the most solemn season of the Christian year.
Today’s prayer is found in the Lent pages of Celtic Daily Prayer and is originally 15th century Irish:
O Son of God, do a miracle for me and change my heart. Thy having taken flesh to redeem me was more difficult than to transform my wickedness. Amen.
++++
Tonight we begin our time of decision making what we are going to personally put down and pick up.  This Lent we as a family are going to take time and learn about caring for God's creation as part of the Episcopal Church's Creation Care Movement. This Winter season has reminded me that we must become environmental change makers and social justice advocates for the good of all living beings. So buckle up we are going on a journey like none other. Tomorrow we start in the dust. Tonight we pray and make our pledges between ourselves and God as we begin tomorrow with 40 days and 40 nights! So let us begin!

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Ponderings!

"O Lord, make this Lenten season different from the other ones. 
 Let me find you again. Amen." ~ Henri Nouwen

"During Lent, let us find concrete ways to overcome our indifference." ~ Pope Francis

"As Lent is the time for greater love, listen to Jesus' thirst...'Repen t and believe' Jesus tells us. What are we to repent? Our indifference, our hardness of heart. What are we to believe? Jesus thirsts even now, in your heart and in the poor -- He knows your weakness. He wants only your love, wants only the chance to love you." ~ Mother Teresa

"Lent comes providentially to reawaken us, to shake us from our lethargy." ~ Pope Francis

"Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects one’s flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble, scatters the clouds of concupiscence, quenches the fire of lust, and kindles the true light of chastity." ~ Saint Augustine

"Even the darkest moments of the liturgy are filled with joy, and Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the lenten fast, is a day of happiness, a Christian feast." ~ Thomas Merton

++++
Come let us worship.

It is the God who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness; let the whole earth stand in awe. Psalm 96:9
Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who abuse you. Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return; for God is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish.
Be merciful as your father is merciful. Judge not and you will not be judged. Condemn not and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Give and it will be given to you; for the measure you give will be the measure you receive.
From Luke 6:27-38

LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES*
Lest I forget the great traditions of freedom and faith which are the heritage of humanity; lest I forget the pioneers, the statesmen, the bridge builders, the artists; and lest I forget You, the God of our forebears who is our God also: I light this candle of remembrance.
For the hope of a better world, in which righteousness and peace shall prevail among the people of the earth, and to create which is the task of the generations in which we stand, as well as for the courage and faith we shall need if we are to carry on this unfinished work: I light this candle of consecration.
May each flame upon the altar of freedom’s faith shine in our hearts always, reminding us of the fearful places to which we may carry light and strengthening us in moments of doubt and discouragement with unwavering faith in You whom we serve and whose we are.

Gracious and loving God as we meet in community this evening to pray and light candles let us remember all of our family members who do not have community, family, where loving shoulders and soft places in which to fall are available. We pray for the lost, lonely, and afraid that they may be found and brought into the family of God and wrapped in a quilt of comfort. We pray for our family members who are refugees, asylum seekers, children in foster care, children who are seeking to be adopted and all who are waiting for their forever homes wherever that may be. We pray that we may practice radical hospitality and welcome all of our family members and especially the strangers who are in our midst. We pray that we may keep our eyes on all of our loved ones and pray that no one, not one will fall through the cracks. We pray that a community of  CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) may spring up around the world and especially where there is hatred, violence, terror, and division.  We pray that peace, justice, and mercy may prevail upon Earth, that we may be be peacemakers and called the Children of God. Amen.

Or this vigil prayer

Holy God,as we pray and light more candles let us pray that we may truly and fully become the loving Family of God. God we know that it is time. We know that this journey into family hood won't be easy but we must take time to lay down our, rage, fear, anger, suspicion, hatred, bigotry, terror, and all that seeks to divide us. Give us we pray courage to learn to love one another as Jesus first loved us. Help us we pray to realize that we are one family and that whatever our race, color, creed, gender, and sexual orientation may be we are made in your image and likeness O, God. Tonight we pray for safety in our cities, towns, counties, states, and nations. We pray for all of our family members nearby and far away who have been affected by violence, abuse, bullying, and degradation this day. We pray for their safety and that you'll wrap your loving and holy arms of protection around them. We pray for the least of these who lack clean water, safe and permanent shelter, nourishing food, and warm clothing. Help us to walk the walk and talk the talk and spread your Gospel of Love to this fragile and broken world. Let us be CALM (Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful) people this night and forever more. Amen.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days

Hymn
God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.


THE GRACE TO LISTEN*
O God, as I grow in experience, I pray I may keep from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Release me from craving to try to straighten out everyone’s affairs. Give me the grace to listen to the tales of others’ pains, but seal my lips to my own increasing aches and pains since my love of rehearsing them grows stronger as the years go by. Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to become a sour old person. May I be thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. With my growing store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all—but You know, O God, that I don’t want to lose all my friends!

LIVING UNITY*
O God, in whom are calmness and peace, reconcile the dissensions which divide us from one another, and bring us into a unity of purpose which may bear some likeness to You, that we may be spiritually one, as well in ourselves as with each other, through that peace of Yours which makes all things peaceful, and through the grace and tenderness wherewith You are our Father and Mother forever.
LITANY OF LOVE*
O God, the source of all being and all joy, let Your blessings be upon us, and fill us with Your love. From all jealousy and envy, from all unkindness, from offense given or taken, from unrighteous anger and an impatient spirit, from a hard and unforgiving temper, and from evil speaking, O God, deliver us.
From all ambition and greed which bring want and distress to multitudes and debase the bodies and souls of many, shutting from them the fullness of life, O God, deliver us.
From an unquiet and discontented spirit, from despondency and gloom, from doubts of Your boundless love, and from forgetfulness of the manifold goods of life, O God, deliver us.
Inspire in us that spirit which suffers long and is kind; which envies not; boasts not itself, is not puffed up; which does not behave unseemly, and seeks not its own. Grant us to be filled with the fullness of Your spirit.
Quicken in us that charity which is not easily provoked, which thinks no evil, which rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; which bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things; the charity which never fails; That so by Your grace we may establish good will upon the earth.
O God, the Father and Mother of us all, who has breathed Your own spirit into Your children and made us to be one with each other as members of Your household: enable us to make Your house a refuge for every wounded spirit, a home for every aspiring soul. Amid diversities of knowledge and of faith, may we be one in spirit, in affection, and in devotion to You.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez



A Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.

Amen.
36 Dixit injustus


1 There is a voice of rebellion deep in the heart of the wicked; *
there is no fear of God before his eyes.

2 He flatters himself in his own eyes *
that his hateful sin will not be found out.

3 The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful; *
he has left off acting wisely and doing good.

4 He thinks up wickedness upon his bed
and has set himself in no good way; *
he does not abhor that which is evil.


5 Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, *
and your faithfulness to the clouds.

6 Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
your justice like the great deep; *
you save both man and beast, O Lord.

7 How priceless is your love, O God! *
your people take refuge under the
shadow of your wings.

8 They feast upon the abundance of your house; *
you give them drink from the river of your delights.

9 For with you is the well of life, *
and in your light we see light.

10 Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you, *
and your favor to those who are true of heart.

11 Let not the foot of the proud come near me, *
nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.

12 See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness! *
they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.


39 Dixi, Custodiam

1 I said, "I will keep watch upon my ways, *
so that I do not offend with my tongue.

2 I will put a muzzle on my mouth *
while the wicked are in my presence."

3 So I held my tongue and said nothing; *
I refrained from rash words;
but my pain became unbearable.

4 My heart was hot within me;
while I pondered, the fire burst into flame; *
I spoke out with my tongue:

5 Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days, *
so that I may know how short my life is.

6 You have given me a mere handful of days,
and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight; *
truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.

7 We walk about like a shadow,
and in vain we are in turmoil; *
we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.

8 And now, what is my hope? *
O Lord, my hope is in you.

9 Deliver me from all my transgressions *
and do not make me the taunt of the fool.

10 I fell silent and did not open my mouth, *
for surely it was you that did it.

11 Take your affliction from me; *
I am worn down by the blows of your hand.

12 With rebukes for sin you punish us;
like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us; *
truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.

13 Hear my prayer, O Lord,
and give ear to my cry; *
hold not your peace at my tears.

14 For I am but a sojourner with you, *
a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.

15 Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again, *
before I go my way and am no more.







Deuteronomy 6:16-25




16 Do not put the Lord your God to the test, as you tested him at Massah.17You must diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and his decrees, and his statutes that he has commanded you. 18Do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord, so that it may go well with you, and so that you may go in and occupy the good land that the Lord swore to your ancestors to give you, 19thrusting out all your enemies from before you, as the Lord has promised.

20 When your children ask you in time to come, ‘What is the meaning of the decrees and the statutes and the ordinances that the Lord our God has commanded you?’ 21then you shall say to your children, ‘We were Pharaoh’s slaves in Egypt, but the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. 22The Lord displayed before our eyes great and awesome signs and wonders against Egypt, against Pharaoh and all his household.23He brought us out from there in order to bring us in, to give us the land that he promised on oath to our ancestors. 24Then the Lord commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the Lord our God, for our lasting good, so as to keep us alive, as is now the case. 25If we diligently observe this entire commandment before the Lord our God, as he has commanded us, we will be in the right.’
A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.



Hebrews 2:1-10

2Therefore we must pay greater attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it. 2For if the message declared through angels was valid, and every transgression or disobedience received a just penalty, 3how can we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? It was declared at first through the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard him, 4while God added his testimony by signs and wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit, distributed according to his will.

5 Now God* did not subject the coming world, about which we are speaking, to angels. 6But someone has testified somewhere,
‘What are human beings that you are mindful of them,*
or mortals, that you care for them?*
7 You have made them for a little while lower* than the angels;
you have crowned them with glory and honour,*
8 subjecting all things under their feet.’
Now in subjecting all things to them, God* left nothing outside their control. As it is, we do not yet see everything in subjection to them, 9but we do see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower* than the angels, now crowned with glory and honour because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God* he might taste death for everyone.

10 It was fitting that God,* for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
A Song of the Spirit
Revelation 22:12-17

“Behold, I am coming soon,” says the Lord,
“and bringing my reward with me, *
to give to everyone according to their deeds.
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, *
the beginning and the end.”
Blessed are those who do God’s commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, *
and may enter the city through the gates.
“I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you, *
with this testimony for all the churches.
“I am the root and the offspring of David, *
I am the bright morning star.”
“Come!” say the Spirit and the Bride; *
“Come!” let each hearer reply!
Come forward, you who are thirsty, *
let those who desire take the water of life as a gift.



John 1:19-28



The Testimony of John the Baptist

19 This is the testimony given by John when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, ‘Who are you?’ 20He confessed and did not deny it, but confessed, ‘I am not the Messiah.’* 21And they asked him, ‘What then? Are you Elijah?’ He said, ‘I am not.’ ‘Are you the prophet?’ He answered, ‘No.’ 22Then they said to him, ‘Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?’ 23He said,
‘I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness,
“Make straight the way of the Lord” ’,
as the prophet Isaiah said.

24 Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. 25They asked him, ‘Why then are you baptizing if you are neither the Messiah,* nor Elijah, nor the prophet?’ 26John answered them, ‘I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know, 27the one who is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandal.’ 28This took place in Bethany across the Jordan where John was baptizing.
The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.
W.E.B. Du Bois: Prayer

In these first beginnings of the new life of the world, renew in us the resolution to persist in the good work we have begun. Give us strength of body and strength of mind and the unfaltering determination to carry out that which we know to be good and right. Forgive all wavering in the past service of Thy cause and make us strong to go for ward in spite of the doubts of our friends and our enemies and in spite of our own distrust in ourselves. Out of the death of winter comes ever and again the resurrection of spring: so out of evil bring good, O God, and out of doubt determination. Amen.

EVENING PRAYER- Walter Rauschenbusch

O God, we praise You for the night and for sleep. Release our limbs of toil. Smooth our brow of care. Grant us a refreshing draught of forgetfulness. Comfort those who toss on a bed of pain, or whose nerves crave sleep and find it not. Save them from despondent thoughts in the darkness. May they learn to lean on Your all-pervading life and love so, their souls may grow tranquil and their bodies may rest.

Services of Religion: Free Nation and Free World (From Prayers of Power from Harvard Square Library)

God, who has made us one nation out of many peoples, amid our diversities of race and tradition, unite us in a common love of freedom and in a high ambition for our national life.

Continue in us the pioneering spirit which led our fathers across the estranging sea and up held them in the wilderness.

Deepen in the people of this land a devotion to the common commonweal, so that we may open new doors of hope to the neglected and oppressed; cleanse our hearts from the greed which preys upon others; and deliver our politics from corruption.

Help us to establish this land in righteousness.

Endue with the spirit of wisdom those entrusted with authority, that there may be peace within our borders, and that we may stand among the nations of the earth an example of justice and a power of good will.

Let Your peace, O God, rule in all our hearts.

To every council where nations bring their hopes and fears, grant wisdom and mutual understanding, that distrust and hatred may be diminished, and a common law of justice be established.

Let peace, O God, prevail throughout the earth.
++++

From A New Zealand Prayer Book
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.


Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

Lord, 
it is night.
The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.
It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.
The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.
The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.
In your name we pray. Amen. (ANZPB)
Book of Common Prayer: For the Poor and Neglected

Almighty God, we remember before You all poor and neglected persons,whom it would be easy to forget: the homeless and the destitute; the old and the sick who have none to care for them. May Your goodness rest upon them. Help us to heal those who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow to joy; to lift up the downhearted and cheer them with hope. When they are perplexed and troubled, may Your presence save them from despair.

Lancelot Andrewes: Be All To All

We bring before You, O God:
the cries of the weary,
the pains of the distressed,
the tears of the tragedies of life,
the anxious hours of the insecure,
the restlessness of the refugees,
the hunger of the oppressed.
Dear God, be near to each.
Helper of the helpless,
Hope of the homeless,
The Strength of those tossed with tempests,
The Haven of those who sail:
Be all to all.
Be within us, to strengthen us;
without us, to keep us;
above us, to inspire us;
beneath us, to uphold us;
before us, to direct us;
behind us , to propel us;
around us, to sustain us.
Be all to all in present need.


SLOW US DOWN…YET ALSO (Anonymous Prayers of Power)

Slow us down, O God. Ease the pounding of our hearts by the quieting of our minds;

Yet also, wake us up. Shake the complacency out of our souls by opening our minds to the cry of the wounded, the refugees wandering without homes, the homeless at home, and the children who starve.

Steady our hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time;

Yet also, quicken our steps with a vision of the urgent action now required to cure the causes of stunted growth, premature death, battered women, and abused children.

Give us, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlasting hills;

Yet also, alert our eyes not to the comforting illusion of constancy divorced from change, but rather to such sharp reality as deep poverty surrounding us at home and abroad.

Break the tensions of our nerves and muscles with the soothing mu sic of the singing streams;

Yet also, give us, amid the calm days of our years, souls which are prepared to cope with the confusion necessarily occurring amidst new creation in the cities, towns, and the countries of the earth.

Help us to know the magical, restoring power of sleep;

Yet also, break the chains of euphoria deluding us to think that we are acting responsibly when we do no more than listen to music which protects our feet from marching.

Remind us of the fable of the hare and the tortoise, that we may know that there is more to life than increasing its speed;

Yet also, remind us of the fable of the astrologer who fell plumb to the bottom of a well, not seeing his feet while reading the sky.

Slow us down, O God, and inspire us to send our roots deep into the soil of life’s enduring values, that we may grow more surely toward the stars;

Yet also, wake us up, so our eyes may see the people around us and our arms may be open to embrace the suffering who cry.

A Prayer of Self-Dedication

Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to thee, so
guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our
wills, that we may be wholly thine, utterly dedicated unto
thee; and then use us, we pray thee, as thou wilt, and always
to thy glory and the welfare of thy people; through our Lord
and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Tonight we set  our hearts on  Love! That is all !

Gracious God inflame our hearts with love  for all of our family members and even our enemies.

Gracious God inspire us to use love as the  healing balm that helps and doesn't hurt.

Gracious God help us to start loving ourselves and  stop taking ourselves and our family members for granted.

Gracious God give is strength to love even in the face of adversity.

Gracious God we pray that love will be the force to drive away all hate from all those who choose to bully, abuse, and hate.

Gracious God send loving warmth and comfort to those who are grieving and pre- grieving.

Gracious God we pray that love and peace may prevail upon earth.

Gracious God  be our light out of darkness so that we may shine with your brightness.

Gracious God  set our hearts on Love! That is all!

In the name of God who is Love, Jesus who is our redeemer, and The Holy Spirit the Holy Comforter. Amen.

Gracious God set our hearts on Fire with Love! That is all!
Or these


God, we come to you this night and at all times as we mark sacred space and time that we may continue to be knit together as your beloved children and family members. Help us to embrace the holy in prayer and remember how we do this.

 Set II

How do I/We embrace the holy?

I/We embrace the holy by acknowledging that everything that God created is holy.I/We embrace the holy by showing my love for all of my family members.I/We embrace the holy by speaking out for the voiceless and invisible.I/We embrace the holy by loving my enemies and those who hate.
I/We embrace the holy by practicing peaceful non-violence.I/We embrace the holy by accepting and including everyone into our family of love.I/We embrace the holy by being an ally for all those who are seeking universal human rights.I/We embrace the holy by being a good steward of God's Cathedral of Life.I/We embrace the holy by accepting God's call.I/We embrace the holy by following Jesus and being his sister, friend and walking the walk and talking the talk as He Does everyday in our lives.I/We embrace the holy by remembering to pray daily.
I/We embrace the holy by walking with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit on life's path and journey.


We embrace the holy this night in prayer and in the stillness , in the longing, and seeking to be in your loving presence O God.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .



Holy God we give thanks for your holy creation and the beauty of your Cathedral of Life.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for your gift of peace. May peace prevail upon earth and within ourselves.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for our family of love. Lovingly enfold your arms around them this night if they are having any worries, anxieties, or fears.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for our voices that we may speak truth to power and be the voice of the voiceless.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for your healing power that you are doing in the lives of  those who are ill  in body, mind, and spirit.  We pray especially for ____________
Calm our hearts O God, and let us be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for everything you have given us so abundantly.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for ears and hearts to hear your still small voice.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for the least of these as a reminder that we may never become hard, cold, or complacent.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .


Holy God we give thanks for the lives of those who now reside in the Thin Places.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .


 We pray for all who mourn and may we step up and lovingly respond with comfort and compassion.
Calm our hearts O God, and let us  be at one with you .


Holy Jesus we lift up these our prayers in love, peace, joy , and hope in your most holy Name. Amen.

Prayers  for The forgotten ones-Let us remember and never forget

Dear God we pray this night for all of our family members in this world who have disappeared by unjust governments. We remember all those in Argentina and all other countries where this has occurred.

Lord God we pray for all  of our Family Members who have been kidnapped by human traffickers that they may be found and returned to their family members safe and sound

Lord God watch over all our family members who have run away and who haven't been in contact with their loved ones. We pray for our family members safety and comfort and consolation for their family and friends who miss and love them very much.

Lord We pray for all missing and exploited children that they may be found alive and if that isn't possible please let them be found so that their families may have resolution to these heart breaking mysteries.

Lord God we pray for all murdered family members who are in cold case files. We pray for an earnest review of these cases that there may be resolution and the criminals brought to justice.

Lord God we pray for  compassionate immigration, health care, prison and mental health reform.

We pray that all missing family members may be afforded Amber Alert Status and that the media will keep our hearts and minds focused on these dear ones.

We pray for all of us  who have been victimized by predators, assailants,  by those known and unknown to us.

We pray for safe cities, towns, roads, sidewalks, neighborhoods and all other areas where we plant our foot steps or drive to that we may be alert to danger and get the help we need.

We pray especially for all communities touched by violence remembering_____________________

We pray for the victims/ survivors of violence of any kind. remembering______________________

We pray for all countries that have been destroyed by unjust leaders remembering_______________


We pray for our elderly, disabled, memory challenged, and those with mental illness that they may be kept safe from harm.

We continue to pray for all of our family members who are beset by the extreme and cold weather. We pray for warmer temperatures that will thaw without flooding.

We remember all of our family members who have had surgery or are awaiting surgery. Remember all those who are ill and on our hearts today.

We pray for all who continue to travel in cold weather and those who will be traveling to celebrate the lives of loved ones who have entered into joy

We pray for the homeless, the lonely, the lost, the misunderstood, and our family members who feel like they are outcast and don't fit in. 

Lord God we pray and remember all of our missing family members and their families who would like resolution to their disappearance.

Lord we pray for______________________________

Lord we give thanks for__________________________

Lord we celebrate________________________________

Lord we remember especially those in the Thin Places remembering _________________ and our family members who continue to grieve and remember them.

All these prayers we send heavenward to you  O Lord knowing that you are already remembering our family members and sending people to comfort and console your children. All this we ask in the name of God the Creator, Redeemer, and Holy Comforter. Amen.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”
Teresa of Avila


The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)
To God the Creator, 
who loved us first and gave this world to be our home,
to God the Redeemer,
who loves us and by dying and rising 
pioneered the way of freedom, 
to God the Sanctifier, 
who spreads the divine love in our hearts, 
be praise and glory for time and for eternity.



Romans 16:25-27

Final Doxology

Now to God who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith— to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory for ever! Amen.

+++++
Good Night Dear Ones! That is all for tonight! I love you and give thanks to God for you this night and always!
With Love and Blessings,
Sara
During the season of Lent we will be returning to our meditation and mindfulness exercises so that we may calm our hearts and spirits and practice self-emptying. The quotes to ponder will be placed in the resources section with homework questions throughout the week. This is a time to journal our journey.

We continue to use our toolkit during Lent :

Journal
Worry Free Sabbath (Jar, Journal, Box) Work
Dictionary
Thesaurus
Bible of your choice or explore the different versions or translations with BibleGateway.com
Community resource directory
Church or social justice newsletter
Episcopal Church -Lenten Resources 2019
Sacred Ground -Episcopal Church

Resources
Sojourners


ReclaimingJesus.org


Matthew25Pledge.com


Watch this space as we join the Good Book Club and read Romans for the season of Epiphany!
Today:
Romans 16:25-27
Final Doxology

Now to God who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith— to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory for ever! Amen.

FORWARD MOVEMENT - ROMANS 101
  Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
About:
From the Northumbria Community:

Today marks the beginning of Lent, the period of forty days (excluding Sundays) when Christians remember the forty day fast of our Lord Jesus in the desert, before starting His earthly ministry. We also seek to participate in that fast by some degree of self-denial. As a token of this, some churches hold the custom of making ashes from the palm crosses of the previous year and, in the Ash Wednesday service, marking the foreheads of participants with ash. As a sign that this is also a period of penitence, many churches also remove items that are colourful or ornate, or they cover them over with cloths of a drab or purple colour, both of which signify penitence.
Lent is also the period of preparation for Holy Week and Easter, when we will remember the arrest, trial and death of Jesus, and His resurrection. In the days when new Christians were baptised on Easter Day, Lent was a period of preparation for baptism, of learning what the faith is all about. For many it is still a time of study, learning and sharing insights with fellow Christians.
Some of the Sundays during Lent have a particular significance. The Fourth Sunday in Lent is kept in Britain as Mothering Sunday (commercially referred to as ‘Mothers’ Day’). This derives from the time when people would return to the original church which had planted their own (the ‘mother church’) for a great celebration, and is linked with servants in great houses being given this Sunday off to visit their families and show their appreciation to their mothers.The Fifth Sunday is Passion Sunday and the Sixth Palm Sunday (see separate entries), the Sunday which begins Holy Week (again see separate entry).
The suggested prayer is based on a hymn by John Samuel Bewley Monsell, who lived in the 19th century:
I am hungering and thirsting for You, my Lord – feed me with Yourself, the living bread that came down from heaven. I travel over rough paths in my life – guide me, help me and refresh me with Your love. The desert still opens out ahead of me – living water, rise up within me for ever and ever. Amen.
Celtic Saint of the Day:
BaldredBaldred, a Northumbrian hermit, lived in Tyningham before moving to live the solitary life on the Bass Rock, off the coast of Edinburgh. It is said that this Rock was a dangerous reef until it was shifted to its present location by the power of Baldred’s prayers!
Almighty God, help me to remember that with You all things are possible.  You may not desire me to ask You to move a literal rock, but You do want me to pray that You will move the barriers to the advance of Your purpose in my own life and in the life of the world. Teach me to be faithful in prayer; through my Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.











No comments:

Post a Comment