Friday, March 1, 2019

It's our Pre-Lenten Retreat Weekend! Time to rest, reflect,refocus, and take refuge in God!





Countdown to Lent 2019! 5 more days until Mardi Gras (Shrove Tuesday)! 6 more days until Ash Wednesday! Have you decided upon your Lenten discipline yet? Spend time with us this weekend and find out! 


Good Evening Beloved Community!

It's our Pre-Lenten retreat weekend where we will find refuge in God and decide our Lenten disciplines and social justice doable actions.  Our key words for this weekend are rest, reflect, refocus, refuge. Let us ponder these words by journaling our journey and meditating upon them as they apply to you (only you). We will ponder quotes from each word tonight along with our traditional mindfulness exercises. Tomorrow I will explain more.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Here are a few quotes about refuge:

"God of peace,
 you are at the center of my life,
 a strong refuge of peace
 in the whirlwind of my pain.
 I look to you for strength
 and a constant assurance of hope." ~ Joyce Rupp

"In poverty and other misfortunes of life, true friends are a sure refuge. The young they keep out of mischief; to the old they are a comfort and aid in their weakness, and those in the prime of life they incite to noble deeds." ~ Aristotle

"Be your own lamps. Be your own shelters. Hang on to the truth as a lamp. Hang on to the truth as a refuge." ~ Gautama Buddha

"Prayer should be the means by which I, at all times, receive all that I need, and, for this reason, be my daily refuge, my daily consolation, my daily joy, my source of rich and inexhaustible joy in life." ~ Saint John Chrysostom

Here is a quote on the word refocus.

"While we are on the go, we need to stop between steps, to refocus on the Word and the will of God" ~ T. B. Joshua

Here are quotes on the word reflect.

"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." ~ Edith Wharton

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." ~ Leo Tolstoy

"Awareness is a mirror reflecting the four elements. Beauty is a heart that generates love and a mind that is open." ~ Nhat Hanh


"People of the world don't look at themselves, and so they blame one another." ~ Rumi

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Let us conclude our time of pondering these quote with a few on rest.

"If you don't take a Sabbath, something is wrong. You're doing too much, you're being too much in charge. You've got to quit, one day a week, and just watch what God is doing when you're not doing anything." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"On the Sabbath- we are reminded that we are not human doings, but human beings." ~ Rob Bell

"Those who participate in [sabbath] break the anxiety cycle. They are invited to awareness that life does not consist in frantic production and consumption that reduces everyone else to threat and competition." ~ Walter Brueggemann

"Sabbath is not simply the pause that refreshes. It is the pause that transforms." ~ Walter Brueggemann

++++

Come let us worship.

Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, the lifting
up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.    Psalm 141:2

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and from the
Lord Jesus Christ.    Philippians 1:2

Worship the Lord in the beauty of his holiness; let the whole earth
tremble before him.    Psalm 96:9

Yours is the day, O God, yours also the night; you established
the moon and the sun. You fixed all the boundaries of the
earth; you made both summer and winter.    Psalm 74:15,16

I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel; my heart teaches
me, night after night. I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not fall.    Psalm 16:7,8

Seek him who made the Pleiades and Orion, and turns deep
darkness into the morning, and darkens the day into night;
who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out upon
the surface of the earth: The Lord is his name.    Amos 5:8


If I say, "Surely the darkness will cover me, and the light
around me turn to night," darkness is not dark to you, O
Lord; the night is as bright as the day; darkness and light to
you are both alike.    Psalm 139:10,11

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world; whoever follows me
will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12


O Gracious Light Phos hilaron 
O gracious light,
pure brightness of the everliving Father in heaven,
O Jesus Christ, holy and blessed! 

Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing your praises, O God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 

You are worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, O Giver of Life,
and to be glorified through all the worlds. 




IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez



A Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.

Amen.

It is the God who said, Let light shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:6-10

16 Conserva me, Domine
1 Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you; *
I have said to the Lord, "You are my Lord,
my good above all other."

2 All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land, *
upon those who are noble among the people.

3 But those who run after other gods *
shall have their troubles multiplied.

4 Their libations of blood I will not offer, *
nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.

5 O Lord, you are my portion and my cup; *
it is you who uphold my lot.

6 My boundaries enclose a pleasant land; *
indeed, I have a goodly heritage.

7 I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel; *
my heart teaches me, night after night.

8 I have set the Lord always before me; *
because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.

9 My heart, therefore, is glad, and my spirit rejoices; *
my body also shall rest in hope.

10 For you will not abandon me to the grave, *
nor let your holy one see the Pit.

11 You will show me the path of life; *
in your presence there is fullness of joy,
and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.





1 Thessalonians 2:1-12

Paul’s Ministry in Thessalonica

2You yourselves know, brothers and sisters,* that our coming to you was not in vain, 2but though we had already suffered and been shamefully maltreated at Philippi, as you know, we had courage in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in spite of great opposition. 3For our appeal does not spring from deceit or impure motives or trickery, 4but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the message of the gospel, even so we speak, not to please mortals, but to please God who tests our hearts. 5As you know and as God is our witness, we never came with words of flattery or with a pretext for greed; 6nor did we seek praise from mortals, whether from you or from others, 7though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle* among you, like a nurse tenderly caring for her own children. 8So deeply do we care for you that we are determined to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you have become very dear to us.

9 You remember our labour and toil, brothers and sisters;* we worked night and day, so that we might not burden any of you while we proclaimed to you the gospel of God. 10You are witnesses, and God also, how pure, upright, and blameless our conduct was towards you believers. 11As you know, we dealt with each one of you like a father with his children, 12urging and encouraging you and pleading that you should lead a life worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.

The Song of Mary    Magnificat 

Luke 1:46-55 

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; *
    for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. 
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
    the Almighty has done great things for me,
    and holy is his Name. 
He has mercy on those who fear him *
    in every generation. 
He has shown the strength of his arm, *
    he has scattered the proud in their conceit. 
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, *
    and has lifted up the lowly. 
He has filled the hungry with good things, *
    and the rich he has sent away empty. 
He has come to the help of his servant Israel, *
    for he has remembered his promise of mercy, 
The promise he made to our fathers, *
    to Abraham and his children for ever. 

Romans 16:1-7

Personal Greetings

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church at Cenchreae, so that you may welcome her in the Lord as is fitting for the saints, and help her in whatever she may require from you, for she has been a benefactor of many and of myself as well.

 Greet Prisca and Aquila, who work with me in Christ Jesus, and who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert in Asia for Christ. Greet Mary, who has worked very hard among you. Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives who were in prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.

13    A Song of Praise    Benedictus es, Domine 
          Song of the Three Young Men, 29-34

Glory to you, Lord God of our fathers; * 
    you are worthy of praise; glory to you. 
Glory to you for the radiance of your holy Name; * 
    we will praise you and highly exalt you for ever.

Glory to you in the splendor of your temple; * 
    on the throne of your majesty, glory to you. 
Glory to you, seated between the Cherubim; * 
    we will praise you and highly exalt you for ever.

Glory to you, beholding the depths; * 
    in the high vault of heaven, glory to you. 
Glory to you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; * 
    we will praise you and highly exalt you for ever.


Mark 4:26-29

The Parable of the Growing Seed

26 He also said, ‘The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, 27and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. 28The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. 29But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come.’

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised; 
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see: 
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

Almighty God, who called your servant David to be a faithful and wise steward of your mysteries for the people of Wales: Mercifully grant that, following his purity of life and zeal for the Gospel of Christ, we may, with him, praise you both here on earth and also in your everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Dionysius of Alexandria: Peace

Great God, the sacred One-in-All,
Good beyond all that is good,
Fair beyond all that is fair,
In whom are calmness and peace.
Make up the dissensions which divide us from each other.
Bring us back to a unity of love
Which bears some likeness to Your sublime nature.
As You are one amidst and above all events,
Make us one through the unanimity of a sound mind,
That through the embrace of love,
We may be spiritually one,
As well in ourselves as in each other,
By that peace of Yours which makes all things peaceful.


Fred Gillis: Meditation on Many Places

We come from many places seeking a center for our lives, a sense of wholeness.
We come from dry places where the words and the knowledge seem broken into brittle fragments that do not cohere.
We come from overfilled places where information abounds, but there is no real understanding.
We come from hard places where feelings are dulled, hollow places where meanings seem empty.
Now, at this time of quiet reflection, we come to be emptied and filled with life’s Spirit that flows in and among us and through the world.
Empty us of the clatter and confusion, the information we thought all-sufficient.
Quiet our minds; center our spirits; ground our being.
Enable us to find Your power that is already within us, power for love, creativity, hope.
Open our eyes to the sustenance that already surrounds and up holds us.
Help us to see the miracle of life in each moment and each cubic inch of space offering a gift of opportunity.
May our minds be open to wisdom, our spirits open to grace.


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that God is Love.
Be still and know that You are Love.
Be sill and know that I Am Love.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Slowly inhale.
Hold.
Slowly exhale

Pause. Count to 10.


Tonight let us love one another and extend our arms of love to one another and our hands in friendship. We are truly family and sacred beings made in the image and likeness of God. Every day is sacred even when we don't feel like it is!  So in the silence of tonight's meditation may we pledge to ourselves and one another that we are family, we love one another, accept each other where we are and who we are, and that we will never hate or harm each other in any way.  Tonight and if you are reading this tomorrow, I'm issuing a call for all of us to be the holy and loving children of God.

Let us continue to be at prayer.

God is Love and Love is God, may we love you with a gentle and  childlike spirit.

God is Love and Love is God, may we love our family members with a loving heart and a welcoming heart home.

God is Love and Love is God, may we learn to love ourselves and treat ourselves with gentleness and without shame.

God is Love and Love is God, we pray for all who are ill and in any distress of body, mind, and spirit.

God is Love and Love is God, we pray for peace in this fragile and broken world. 

God is Love and Love is God, we pray for all refugees, captives, victims of terror,violence, abuse, and human trafficking.

God is Love and Love is God, we pray for all who are being persecuted by virtue of their sexuality and gender. May they be afforded all human rights and acceptance.

God is Love and Love is God, we pray for all who are mourning and who are pre-grieving. 

God is Love and Love is God, we pray for all who are dying and who have died may they enjoy with joy their new mansion fit for them and in the Thin Places.

God is Love and Love is God, we pray for__________________________

God is Love and Love is God , we give thanks for_______________________

God is Love and Love is God, we life up these our prayers in the Name of Jesus who is Love incarnate. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.

or and this:

Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

Lord, 
it is night.

The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.

The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen.

The blessing of God, the eternal goodwill of God, the shalom of God, the wildness and the warmth of God, be among us and between us, now and always.

++++++

Tidbits from the Northumbria Community:

Boisil, Prior of Melrose Abbey, died in 661. Bede described him as a ‘priest of great virtue and prophetic spirit.’ Boisil, on his first meeting with Cuthbert, who was to be his pupil, exclaimed, ‘Behold, the servant of the Lord!’ – recognizing the call of God on the young man’s life.If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.
+ (silently)
* O Lord, You will keep us safe
and protect us forever.
I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.
* I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.
* Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.
* Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.
Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.
* Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.
* Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in His peace.
God with me protecting,
the Lord with me directing,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.
* In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

Today’s Meditation
If I chose to hide you away, it is for a reason.
I have brought you to this place.
Drink in the silence. Seek solitude.
Listen to the silence.
It will teach you. It will build strength
Let others share it with you.
It is little to be found elsewhere.
Silence will speak more to you in a day than the world of voices can teach you in a lifetime.
Find silence. Find solitude – and having discovered her riches, bind her to your heart.
           Frances J. Roberts

Celtic Saint of the Day:

Chad (?-672) March 2nd
Chad was the youngest of four brothers who were some of the first students in Aidan’s school on Lindisfarne. Aidan sent him to Ireland as part of his education. When his brother Cedd died he succeeded him as Abbot of Lastingham, North Yorkshire. There he was known for his gentleness and humility. Later he was sent to be the first bishop of Mercia, where he built a cathedral and monastery at Lichfield. He didn’t feel himself worthy of the honour, but accepted out of obedience to the discipline he was commited to. He continued to live as a monk and always travelled barefoot. Theodore, Archbishop of Canterbury, was troubled by this and encouraged Chad to ride; in fact he became so frustrated that on one occasion he lifted Chad on to a horse and sent him on his journey! After three years as bishop of Mercia, Chad died on March 2nd 672, after counselling his community always to be prepared for death, which “may call for us at any time.” It is said that angels visited him in his oratory with sweet singing, bringing a message that he would be summoned to his heavenly reward in seven days time, when they would return to lead him there. A disciple of Chad was chosen by Oswi, king of Northumbria, to be bishop of Nothumbria and was recognised by Bede as humble, devout, zealous and apostolic.

Lord of the angels, fill us with the spirit of gentleness and humility, that with glad obedience we may accept the tasks which you call us to do. Show us how to be an example to others, and by our good works to bring You glory and praise; in Jesus’ name. Amen.


+++++
This is this weekend's mindfulness prayer.

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

This weekend's retreat toolkit:
Journal
Worry Free Sabbath (Jar, Journal, Box) Work
Dictionary
Thesaurus
Bible of your choice or explore the different versions or translations with BibleGateway.com
Community resource directory
Church newsletter
Episcopal Church -Lenten Resources 2019
Sacred Ground -Episcopal Church

+++++

Good Night All! I love you! Have a blessed time of rest, reflection, refocusing, and taking refuge in God. 

Peace, love, and blessings,

Sara

Resources
Sojourners


ReclaimingJesus.org


Matthew25Pledge.com


Watch this space as we join the Good Book Club and read Romans for the season of Epiphany!
Today:

Romans 16:1-7

Personal Greetings

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church at Cenchreae, so that you may welcome her in the Lord as is fitting for the saints, and help her in whatever she may require from you, for she has been a benefactor of many and of myself as well.

Greet Prisca and Aquila, who work with me in Christ Jesus, and who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert in Asia for Christ. Greet Mary, who has worked very hard among you. Greet Andronicus and Junia,my relatives who were in prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.


Tomorrow:
Romans 16:8-16

Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our co-worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys. Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus. Greet my relative Herodion. Greet those in the Lord who belong to the family of Narcissus. Greet those workers in the Lord, Tryphaena and Tryphosa. Greet the beloved Persis, who has worked hard in the Lord. Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord; and greet his mother—a mother to me also. Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers and sisters who are with them. Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them. Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.


FORWARD MOVEMENT - ROMANS 101





A to Z Quotes
Book of Occasional Services 

Northumbria Community

Enjoy perusing these sites. 

Today's Readings from Satucket Lectionary Page

Daily:


Eucharistic:

Ecclus. 6:5-17
Psalm 119:17-24

Saint of the Day:
Almighty God, who called your servant David to be a faithful and wise steward of your mysteries for the people of Wales: Mercifully grant that, following his purity of life and zeal for the Gospel of Christ, we may, with him, praise you both here on earth and also in your everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


Tomorrow's readings!
Daily:

Eucharistic:

Saint of the Day: Chad
Heavenly Father, whose son our Lord Jesus Christ took the form of a servant for the sake of his brothers and sisters: Strengthen us with the prayers and example of your servant Chad, who became the least of all to minister to all; through the same Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns, with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


  Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment