Friday, March 8, 2019

Our retreat weekend focus is this: Seeing God in one another! That's what we are called to do !






Good Evening Beloved Community!

Happy First Friday in Lent! I hope all is well. Today I got most of my dishes washed and put away. Having a chronic illness has been difficult of late and this week has been one of going, and going, and going, like the Energizer Bunny! Today I took time to get this major project done. I realized that it's ok not to be like Ms. Clean all at once. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Today is the feast day of Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy,  (Click on his name for his bio), his story is amazing and yesterday we had a few of his quotes in the resources section which are below for us to ponder. His collect below the last canticle, is the genus for our First Weekend in Lent Retreat Focus: Seeing God in One Another. This weekend please get out of the house and go people watch and look for God in each person you meet. That's what's on the menu for this weekend. Journal if you so choose. Prayer is a must and yes there will be vigiling tomorrow evening! Tonight we are going to use prayers from the Industrial Christian Fellowship in place of the canticles, an organization that Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy worked for. There will be a link in the resources section. 

Quotes of Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy:

"Nobody worries about Christ as long as he can be kept shut up in churches.  He is quite safe inside.  But there is always trouble if you try and let him out." ~ Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy

"If I am a son of God, nothing but God will satisfy my soul; no amount of comfort, no amount of ease, no amount of pleasure, will give me peace or rest. If I had the full cup of all the world's joys held up to me, and could drain it to the dregs, I should still remain thirsty if I had not God." ~ Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy

"We have taught our people to use prayer too much as a means of comfort - not in the original and heroic sense of uplifting, inspiring, strengthening, but in the more modern and baser sense of soothing sorrow, dulling pain, and drying tears - the comfort of the cushion, not the comfort of the Cross." ~ Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy

Don't forget the remainder of the week we are also pondering this passage of scripture and meditating upon it before we engage in the "Be Stills".


2 Corinthians 5:20-6:10

20So we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

6As we work together with him,* we urge you also not to accept the grace of God in vain. 2For he says,
‘At an acceptable time I have listened to you,
   and on a day of salvation I have helped you.’
See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation! 3We are putting no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, 4but as servants of God we have commended ourselves in every way: through great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, 5beatings, imprisonments, riots, labours, sleepless nights, hunger; 6by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, holiness of spirit, genuine love, 7truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; 8in honour and dishonour, in ill repute and good repute. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; 9as unknown, and yet are well known; as dying, and see—we are alive; as punished, and yet not killed; 10as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing everything.



Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;

We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.

++++
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that God is Love.
Be still and know that You are Love.
Be sill and know that I Am Love.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Slowly inhale.
Hold.
Slowly exhale
Pause. Count to 10.

Breathing Exercises with Thich Nhat Hanh

“*Breathing in, I know this is my in-breath.
Breathing out, I know this is my out-breath.*

It's very simple, but very effective. When we bring our attention to our in-breath and our out-breath, we stop thinking of the past; we stop thinking of the future; and we begin to come home to ourselves...Don't think this practice doesn't apply to you. If we don't go home to ourselves, we can't be at our best and serve the world in the best way... Our quality of being is the foundation for the quality of our actions.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of my whole body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of my whole body.*

Breathing mindfully brings us back to our bodies. We have to acknowledge our bodies first because tension and suffering accumulate in the body. Breathing in this way, we create a kind of family reunion between mind and body. The mind becomes an embodied mind.
...We can't do our best if we don't know to release the tension and pain in ourselves. 

*Breathing in, I'm aware of the tension in my body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of the tension in my body.*

When we look at the suffering around us, at poverty, violence, or climate change, we may want to solve these things immediately. We want to do something. But to do something effectively and ethically, we need to be our best selves in order to be able to handle the suffering...
*Breathing in, I am aware of a painful feeling arising.
Breathing out, I release the painful feeling.*

This is a nonviolent and gentle way to help our bodies release tension and pain. It is possible to practice mindful breathing in order to produce a feeling of joy, a feeling of happiness. When we are well-nourished and know how to create joy, then we are strong enough to handle the deep pain within ourselves and the world.”
― Thich Nhat HanhGood Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society


The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh: A Litany for Peace

As we are together praying for Peace, let us be truly with each other.
Silence
Let us pay attention to our breathing.
Silence
Let us be relaxed in our bodies and our minds.
Silence
Let us return to ourselves and become wholly ourselves.
Silence
Let us be aware of the Source of Being common to us all and to all that is.
Silence
Evoking the presence of the Great Companion, let us fill our hearts with our own compassion—towards ourselves and toward all living beings.
Silence
Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all nourished from the same Source of Life.
Silence
Let us pray that we ourselves cease to be the cause of needless suffering.
Silence
Let us pray that we may live in a way which will not needlessly deprive other living beings of air, water, food, shelter, or the chance to live in health.
Silence
With reverence for Life and with awareness of the sufferings that are going on around us, let us pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and on earth.

Come let us worship:

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth 
is not in us; but if we confess our sins, God who is faithful 
and just, will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all 
unrighteousness.    I John 1:8, 9

Examine me O God and know my heart, test me and discover my thoughts, and lead me in the way everlasting.Psalm 139:23,24

Rend your hearts and not your garments. Return to the Lord 
your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and 
abounding in steadfast love, and repents of evil.
Joel 2:13

I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, 
"Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before you; I am 
no longer worthy to be called your son."    Luke 15:18, 19

To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, because 
we have rebelled against him and have not obeyed the voice 
of the Lord our God by following his laws which he set 
before us.    Daniel 9:9, 10

Jesus said, "If anyone will come after me, let him deny 
himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."    Mark 8:34 

The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and those who are afraid are not perfected in love. We love because God first loved us. If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother or sister, that person is a liar; for those who do not love their brothers and sisters whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. 1 John 4:18-20

It is the God who said, Let light shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:6-10




Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Psalm 134
We your servants bless you, O God, 
as we stand by night in your house.

We lift up our hands towards the holy place, 
and give you thanks and praise.

Bless us from all places where you dwell, 
O God, creator of the heavens and the earth.



IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez



A Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.

Amen.



From Industrial Christian Fellowship
This week's prayer Focus
Those who work with the vulnerable in our society
Our tender and compassionate God, in Jesus you give us a picture of your own vulnerability. You come to us as a refugee escaping violence, as a stranger with no place to call home, as a common criminal condemned to die. You discard power and authority to be alongside those who experience brokenness and need. So we pray for all those who today live out that same commitment to being with, and offering help to, those in our communities who are most vulnerable. Give perseverance, encouragement and wisdom to the many voluntary and paid workers who seek to assist those who are caught up in addictive habits, whose minds are deeply disturbed, who feel they have reached the limits of their own endurance, whose lives are blighted by frailty, loneliness and fear. And may our whole society learn that the measure of its worth is in the care it shows for those who are the weakest members. Amen.

THE ICF PRAYER 
God the Creator, bless me in the things that I do today.
God the Spirit, guide me in the things that I think and plan today.
God the Redeemer, forgive and make good the things that I might spoil today.
In all my work may I find you with me,
and look to the day when all things will be made new
in what you have yet to create in your wisdom and boundless love.

+++

I am not here to pass judgement
or point the finger at anyone.
My name was written in the sand
as one who is forgiven.
Strengthened with hope, impervious to shame,
I will walk freely like the freshness
of the dry lands after rain.
Let light spill out of heaven
through my life,
dispelling mediocrity and silent blame.
Too many people, guilt-stricken, wounded,
walk in regret,
feeling bad about failing,
apologise even for breathing.
Raw belief, a passion for others
grows in me,
encircling each moment
with instinctive prayer.
I will carry the freshness
of the dry lands after rain.
Compassion lives in me again.
Andy Raine




Psalm 69:15-20


15 "In your great mercy, O God, *
answer me with your unfailing help.

16 Save me from the mire; do not let me sink; *
let me be rescued from those who hate me
and out of the deep waters.

17 Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
neither let the deep swallow me up; *
do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.

18 Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind; *
in your great compassion, turn to me."


19 "Hide not your face from your servant; *
be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.

20 Draw near to me and redeem me; *
because of my enemies deliver me.

2 Samuel 22:1-19

David’s Song of Thanksgiving

22David spoke to the Lord the words of this song on the day when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. 2He said:
The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, 
3   my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation,
   my stronghold and my refuge,
   my saviour; you save me from violence. 
4 I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
   and I am saved from my enemies. 


5 For the waves of death encompassed me,
   the torrents of perdition assailed me; 
6 the cords of Sheol entangled me,
   the snares of death confronted me. 


7 In my distress I called upon the Lord;
   to my God I called.
From his temple he heard my voice,
   and my cry came to his ears. 


8 Then the earth reeled and rocked;
   the foundations of the heavens trembled
   and quaked, because he was angry. 
9 Smoke went up from his nostrils,
   and devouring fire from his mouth;
   glowing coals flamed forth from him. 
10 He bowed the heavens, and came down;
   thick darkness was under his feet. 
11 He rode on a cherub, and flew;
   he was seen upon the wings of the wind. 
12 He made darkness around him a canopy,
   thick clouds, a gathering of water. 
13 Out of the brightness before him
   coals of fire flamed forth. 
14 The Lord thundered from heaven;
   the Most High uttered his voice. 
15 He sent out arrows, and scattered them
   —lightning, and routed them. 
16 Then the channels of the sea were seen,
   the foundations of the world were laid bare
at the rebuke of the Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of his nostrils. 


17 He reached from on high, he took me,
   he drew me out of mighty waters. 
18 He delivered me from my strong enemy,
   from those who hated me;
   for they were too mighty for me. 
19 They came upon me in the day of my calamity,
   but the Lord was my stay.

+++
21st Century Prophets
A prayer that explores how God can speak through our engagement with the world of work.

God at whose word
The whole of creation came into being,
Speak Your word through me this day
As I pursue its endeavours.

I offer every task,
And pray that in Your purpose
It might become the means by which 
New light and truth are known;

And in ways unseen,
And ways made clear,
Let Your Gospel purpose
Be fulfilled in their fulfilling.

And so may Wisdom’s voice
Echo again in places and language
Where she has too long been silent;
Not only through those
Who wrestle with truths long-written
But also the research and discovery;
Success and failure;
Acheivements and disappointments;
Solutions and challenges
Of that which we choose to call
Our daily work

AMEN


1 Corinthians 15:50-58

50 What I am saying, brothers and sisters,* is this: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die,* but we will all be changed, 52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For this perishable body must put on imperishability, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 54When this perishable body puts on imperishability, and this mortal body puts on immortality, then the saying that is written will be fulfilled:
‘Death has been swallowed up in victory.’ 
55 ‘Where, O death, is your victory?
   Where, O death, is your sting?’ 
56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved,* be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labour is not in vain. 

++++
Finding God everywhere
A short prayer which reminds us that we find God in every circumstance, even when we might not expect to

God who calls us to be a people of commitment and service, 
Use for Your Glory every aspect of the lives that we live 
Reassure us with Your presence in the places that we seek You; 
Surprise us with that presence in the places we do not.
AMEN



Luke 10:25-37

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus.* ‘Teacher,’ he said, ‘what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ 26He said to him, ‘What is written in the law? What do you read there?’ 27He answered, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself.’ 28And he said to him, ‘You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.’

29 But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbour?’ 30Jesus replied, ‘A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. 31Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two denarii,* gave them to the innkeeper, and said, “Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.” 36Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?’ 37He said, ‘The one who showed him mercy.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go and do likewise.’

Tempted in the Winderness (This is the title as found on the website)
A prayer that uses the temptations of Jesus to reflect on our own experience

Living Christ, in seeking to fulfil that which You recognised as Your calling,
You knew what it was to enticed by the easy option;
In the depth of personal need, to seek only satisfaction;
In search of popularity, to pursue the spectacular;
With ends to achieve, to grasp the power to make them happen.
But you knew the sound of a deeper voice
Speaking through Word and Spirit
To guide and stay Your hand.

So help us, as we engage in the roles and tasks appointed to us,
To seek your will and purpose in all things.
Protect us from simply seeing the obvious,
Or imagining that our world of work is one that You do not inhabit.
So help us encounter Your Spirit’s guiding presence,
That we might fulfil Your Kingdom’s purpose.
AMEN


Glorious God, we give thanks for high and holy things as well as the common things of earth. Awaken us to recognize your presence in each other and in all creation, so that we, like Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy, may love and magnify you as the holy, undivided Trinity; who lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


A Song of Penitence    Kyrie Pantokrator 
          Prayer of Manasseh 1-2, 4, 6-7, 11-15

O Lord and Ruler of the hosts of heaven, * 
    God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, 
    and of all their righteous offspring: 
You made the heavens and the earth, * 
    with all their vast array.
All things quake with fear at your presence; * 
    they tremble because of your power. 
But your merciful promise is beyond all measure; * 
    it surpasses all that our minds can fathom. 
O Lord, you are full of compassion, * 
    long-suffering, and abounding in mercy. 
You hold back your hand; * 
    you do not punish as we deserve. 
In your great goodness, Lord, 
you have promised forgiveness to sinners, * 
    that they may repent of their sin and be saved. 
And now, O Lord, I bend the knee of my heart, * 
    and make my appeal, sure of your gracious goodness. 
I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, * 
    and I know my wickedness only too well. 
Therefore I make this prayer to you: * 
    Forgive me, Lord, forgive me. 
Do not let me perish in my sin, * 
    nor condemn me to the depths of the earth. 
For you, O Lord, are the God of those who repent, * 
    and in me you will show forth your goodness. 
Unworthy as I am, you will save me, 
in accordance with your great mercy, * 
    and I will praise you without ceasing all the days of my life. 
For all the powers of heaven sing your praises, * 
    and yours is the glory to ages of ages. Amen.

Ash Wednesday Collects from A New Zealand Prayer Book and Book of Common Prayer

Jesus, holy and strong,
by your fasting and temptation teach us self-denial;
control and discipline us,
that we may learn to obey.

Almighty and merciful God,
you hate nothing that you have made
and forgive the sins of all who are penitent;
create in us new and contrite hearts,
so that when we turn to you and confess our sins
we may receive your full and perfect forgiveness;
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer.

God of the desert, as we follow Jesus into the unknown,
may we recognise the tempter when he comes;
let it be your bread we eat,
your world we serve and you alone we worship.

Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have
made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and
make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily
lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness,
may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission
and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever
and ever. Amen.

O heavenly Father, who has filled the world with beauty: Open our eyes to behold your gracious hand in all your works; that, rejoicing in your whole creation, we may learn to serve you with gladness; for the sake of him through whom all things were made, your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
(Book of Common Prayer, p. 814)


From A New Zealand Prayer Book
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.


Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.

Lord, 
it is night.
The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.
It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.
The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.
The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.
In your name we pray. Amen. (ANZPB)


“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”
Teresa of Avila

Our selection from A Season of Prayer : 40 Days in the Desert
Wednesday, March 8 Pray for social justice 
Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so move every human heart [and especially the hearts of the people of this land], that barriers which divide us may crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

++++++++++
God we pray that we may not be tempted by outside forces and that our faith may continue on level and sacred ground. We will worship you in Spirit and in Truth.
God we pray that we may never been given bribes so that our faith and you may never be shaken. Help us with courage and resolve to worship you in Spirit and in Truth.
God we pray that we may always faithful in our words, deeds, and works of mercy and worship. Help us to press on with eyes on the prize and worship you daily in Spirit and in Truth.
God we pray for peace in the world and that we may never find ourselves having to go against our faith. May we always worship you in Spirit and in Truth.
God may we worship you in Spirit and in Truth and serve you night and day in what we are called to do. Let us worship you with our minds fixed upon you and your son Jesus the Christ, and the Holy Spirit our Advocate and Guide. Amen. 
+++++
God grant us courage and strength to go deeper in our relationship with you. Help us to continue to have faith the size of a mustard seed and not be afraid to be in your presence.
God grant us courage and strength to speak truth to power when we are called to do so.
God grant us courage and strength to reach out to our family members who differ from us without fear.
God grant us courage and strength to go into the desert and renew our bodies minds, and spirits and listen to you with the ears of our hearts.
God grant us courage and strength to go where you call us even up unto the pinnacles of the temples in our lives.
God grant us courage and strength to lovingly respond to the cries of your children who are in need nearby and far away.
God grant us courage and strength to be the children of God you have made us to be.
God grant us the courage and strength to stand with the voiceless ones and do as in the words of Micah- Do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God..
God grant us the courage, strength to show and reflect your love, shine your light, and spread your Gospel message to a fragile and broken world.
God we pray for an end to violence, bigotry, terror, and all things that draw us away from you and each other.
God we pray for all refugees ,victims of violence of any kind ,the most vulnerable and those you name now.
God we pray for the families of those who are led to commit acts of terror that they may be comforted
God we pray for all who live with chronic mental and physical illnesses of any kind. We pray for____________.
God we pray and give thanks for _____________________ 
As we close our worship this night we remember these prayers.
The Beatitudes Matthew 5:3–12
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.
The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised; 
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see: 
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 

Joseph Barth: A Grace

We give thanks for Being;
We give thanks for being here;
We give thanks for being here together.


BENEDICTION

May we forever hope in the possibilities of life;
May we forever share the adventures of ideas;
May we know peace through not expecting the impossible;
May we know joy through helping what is possible come true.

Creating and life-giving God, you have placed us in communities of people and in connection with all of life. Help us to be aware of your presence in the natural world around us, and to commit ourselves to caring for all of life on this fragile earth, our island home. Let us love and support one another in the shared work of caring for the environment, that others in generations to come may always see your handiwork in the sky, land, and water. In the name of the one through whom all things came into being, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)
+++++
Today's homework as we begin to work towards being good stewards of God's Cathedral of Life:
Do you know how  to be an effective recycler?
Did you go without a plastic straw today?
Consider how you can save money by going car free and reducing your carbon footprint.
Consider how you can reduce your dependence upon single use plastic. 
Today's Arbor Day Links (When I was growing up today was Arbor Day)





++++++

Have a wonderful time tonight in prayer and meditation. I love you and give thanks to God for you always. 
Remember this prayer and carry it with you throughout the weekend:

FOR WORLD NEIGHBORLINESS (Peter Marshall)
O God, we pray for a broader vision of the needs of humanity, and a deeper compassion to fill those needs; for a planting of the seeds of concern for all humanity in our hearts; for a tapping of the wells of generosity.
May we live together as people who have been forgiven a great debt.
May we be gentle, walking softly with one another.
May we be understanding, lest we shall add to the world’s sorrow or cause to flow needless tears.
May we be as anxious for the rights of others as we are for our own.
May we be as eager to forgive as we are to seek forgiveness.
May we know no barriers of creed or race or sex, that our love may be like Yours—a love that sees all people as Your children and our kin.
May we be ministers of humanity.
+++
May you all feel loved and blessed,
Sara


During the season of Lent we will be returning to our meditation and mindfulness exercises so that we may calm our hearts and spirits and practice self-emptying. The quotes to ponder will be placed in the resources section with homework questions throughout the week. This is a time to journal our journey.

We continue to use our toolkit during Lent :

Journal
Worry Free Sabbath (Jar, Journal, Box) Work
Dictionary
Thesaurus
Bible of your choice or explore the different versions or translations with BibleGateway.com
Community resource directory
Church or social justice newsletter
Episcopal Church -Lenten Resources 2019
Sacred Ground -Episcopal Church
Resources

Our pondering quotes:

"Telling the truth ... is not solely a matter of moral character; it is also a matter of correct appreciation of real situations and of serious reflection upon them." ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"If you make a habit of sincere prayer, your life will be very noticeably and profoundly altered. Prayer stamps with its indelible mark our actions and demeanor. A tranquillity of bearing, a facial and bodily repose, are observed in those whose inner lives are thus enriched. Within the depths of consciousness a flame kindles. And man sees himself. He discovers his selfishness, his silly pride, his fears, his greeds, his blunders. He develops a sense of moral obligation, intellectual humility. Thus begins a journey of the soul toward the realm of grace." ~ Alexis Carrel


"Forgiveness means that I continually am willing to forgive the other person for not being God — for not fulfilling all my needs. I, too, must ask forgiveness for not being able to fulfill other people's needs. … The interesting thing is that when you can forgive people for not being God, then you can celebrate that they are a reflection of God." ~ Henri Nouwen

"I think there's a terrible price to be paid when your exterior life is not an honest reflection of your interior life." ~ Gene Robinson

"We love to talk about justice. It's the doing of justice that's hard...I believe it is work we are called to do" ~ Gene Robinson

"Vocal prayer . . . must be accompanied by reflection. A prayer in which a person is not aware of Whom he is speaking to, what he is asking, who it is who is asking and of Whom, I don't call prayer-however much the lips may move." ~ Teresa of Avila

"Because you’re a creation of God, you reflect the Divine qualities of creativity, wisdom, and love." ~ Doreen Virtue

"Teach me, 0 God, not to torture myself, not to make a martyr out of myself through stifling reflection, but rather teach me to breathe deeply in faith." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

"For Christians, as for all people of faith, reflection, meditation and prayer help us to renew ourselves in God's love, as we strive daily to become better people. The Christmas message shows us that this love is for everyone. There is no one beyond its reach." ~ Queen Elizabeth II

"Our language is the reflection of ourselves." ~ Cesar Chavez

"Service to humanity is service to God. Let the love and light of the Kingdom radiate through you until all who look upon you shall be illumined by its reflection. Be as stars, brilliant and sparkling in the loftiness of their heavenly station." ~ Abdu'l-Bahá

"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~ Socrates

"The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them." ~ Thomas Merton

Sojourners


ReclaimingJesus.org


Matthew25Pledge.com



Watch this space as we join the Good Book Club and read Romans for the season of Epiphany!



A to Z Quotes
Book of Occasional Services 

Northumbria Community Tidbits

This week’s Rule reflection

We embrace the vulnerability of being TEACHABLE expressed in a willingness to be ACOUNTABLE TO OTHERS in ordering our ways and our heart in order to effect change

Celtic Saint of the Day!


Daily
AM Psalm 95* & 31; PM Psalm 35
Deut. 7:12-16Titus 2:1-15John 1:35-42

Eucharistic:

Saint of the Day:

"Nobody worries about Christ as long as he can be kept shut up in churches.  He is quite safe inside.  But there is always trouble if you try and let him out." ~ Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy

"If I am a son of God, nothing but God will satisfy my soul; no amount of comfort, no amount of ease, no amount of pleasure, will give me peace or rest. If I had the full cup of all the world's joys held up to me, and could drain it to the dregs, I should still remain thirsty if I had not God." ~ Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy

"We have taught our people to use prayer too much as a means of comfort - not in the original and heroic sense of uplifting, inspiring, strengthening, but in the more modern and baser sense of soothing sorrow, dulling pain, and drying tears - the comfort of the cushion, not the comfort of the Cross." ~ Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy

Glorious God, we give thanks for high and holy things as well as the common things of earth. Awaken us to recognize your presence in each other and in all creation, so that we, like Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy, may love and magnify you as the holy, undivided Trinity; who lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen


Tomorrow's readings:
Daily:
AM Psalm 30, 32; PM Psalm 42, 43
Deut. 7:17-26; Titus 3:1-15; John 1:43-51

Eucharistic:
Psalm 86:1-11
Isaiah 58:9b-14; Luke 5:27-32

Saint of the Day: Gregory of Nyssa

 Almighty God, who have revealed to your Church your eternal Being of glorious majesty and perfect love as one God in Trinity of Persons: Give us grace that, like your bishop Gregory of Nyssa, we may continue steadfast in the confession of this faith, and constant in our worship of you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, who live and reign for ever and ever.  

Psalm 119:97-104
Wisdom 7:24-28
John 14:23-26 

Quotes of Gregory of Nyssa:

"Concepts create idols; only wonder comprehends anything. People kill one another over idols. Wonder makes us fall to our knees." ~ Gregory of Nyssa

"Who gives you the day will give you also the things necessary for the day." ~ Gregory of Nyssa

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name. For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what we do in life." ~ Gregory of Nyssa

"Peace is defined as harmony among those who are divided. When, therefore, we end the civil war within our nature and cultivate peace within ourselves, we become at peace." ~ Gregory of Nyssa

"May we never risk the life of our souls by being resentful or by bearing grudges." ~ Gregory of Nyssa


"Today the darkness begins to grow shorter and the light to lengthen, as the hours of night become fewer.... Realize that the true light is now here and, through the rays of the gospel, is illumining the whole earth." ~ Gregory of Nyssa


  Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Metis Aboriginal Ministries

About:
From the Northumbria Community:

Today marks the beginning of Lent, the period of forty days (excluding Sundays) when Christians remember the forty day fast of our Lord Jesus in the desert, before starting His earthly ministry. We also seek to participate in that fast by some degree of self-denial. As a token of this, some churches hold the custom of making ashes from the palm crosses of the previous year and, in the Ash Wednesday service, marking the foreheads of participants with ash. As a sign that this is also a period of penitence, many churches also remove items that are colourful or ornate, or they cover them over with cloths of a drab or purple colour, both of which signify penitence.
Lent is also the period of preparation for Holy Week and Easter, when we will remember the arrest, trial and death of Jesus, and His resurrection. In the days when new Christians were baptised on Easter Day, Lent was a period of preparation for baptism, of learning what the faith is all about. For many it is still a time of study, learning and sharing insights with fellow Christians.
Some of the Sundays during Lent have a particular significance. The Fourth Sunday in Lent is kept in Britain as Mothering Sunday (commercially referred to as ‘Mothers’ Day’). This derives from the time when people would return to the original church which had planted their own (the ‘mother church’) for a great celebration, and is linked with servants in great houses being given this Sunday off to visit their families and show their appreciation to their mothers.The Fifth Sunday is Passion Sunday and the Sixth Palm Sunday (see separate entries), the Sunday which begins Holy Week (again see separate entry).
The suggested prayer is based on a hymn by John Samuel Bewley Monsell, who lived in the 19th century:
I am hungering and thirsting for You, my Lord – feed me with Yourself, the living bread that came down from heaven. I travel over rough paths in my life – guide me, help me and refresh me with Your love. The desert still opens out ahead of me – living water, rise up within me for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment