Thursday, March 2, 2017

40 days of Psalmody, Prayers, Vigils, That's what's on the menu for tonight




Good Evening Dear Family of Love and God!

This is the first Being Thoughtful and Thankful Thursday of the Lenten season. I'm here in Hemet for a few nights as I will be attending my beloved Aunt Dodi's funeral tomorrow. I'm thankful that I was able to navigate all the things on today's schedule without any problem. I give God thanks for this always. LA freeways and beyond are a bear. So it is time for our prayer time. I love you all. 


We begin with our prayer simple prayer vigil tonight.


Dear Family of Love and God , It is time for our nightly Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil. Let us light our candles and be at prayer. Tonight we pray for all who are recovering and healing from surgery. We pray for their caregivers and medical teams. We pray this night for hospice, palliative care ministers, and those who serve in the mortuary ministries who care for loved ones who have died. We pray this night for all widows, widows, divorced, and single persons who face many days alone and lonely. We pray for peace in the world and we pray that we may be thoughtful and thankful for God and his loving care to us all. We pray that we may bring God's Compassion, Acceptance, Love and Mercy to this fragile and broken world. We pray that we may fervently strive for justice, peace, and universal human rights and respect the dignity of every human being. 




Let us spend time meditating upon today's evening Psalms.



Second Day: Evening Prayer

12 Salvum me fac

1 Help me, Lord, for there is no godly one left; *
the faithful have vanished from among us.
2 Everyone speaks falsely with his neighbor; *
with a smooth tongue they speak from a double heart.
3 Oh, that the Lord would cut off all smooth tongues, *
and close the lips that utter proud boasts!
4 Those who say, “With our tongue will we prevail; *
our lips are our own; who is lord over us?”
5 “Because the needy are oppressed,
and the poor cry out in misery, *
I will rise up,” says the Lord,
“and give them the help they long for.”
6 The words of the Lord are pure words, *
like silver refined from ore
and purified seven times in the fire.
7 O Lord, watch over us *
and save us from this generation for ever.
8 The wicked prowl on every side, *
and that which is worthless is highly prized by everyone.

13 Usquequo, Domine?

1 How long, O Lord?
will you forget me for ever? *
how long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long shall I have perplexity in my mind,
and grief in my heart, day after day? *
how long shall my enemy triumph over me?
3 Look upon me and answer me, O Lord my God; *
give light to my eyes, lest I sleep in death;
4 Lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,” *
and my foes rejoice that I have fallen.
5 But I put my trust in your mercy; *
my heart is joyful because of your saving help.
6 I will sing to the Lord, for he has dealt with me richly; *
I will praise the Name of the Lord Most High.

14 Dixit insipiens

1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” *
All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
there is none who does any good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon us all, *
to see if there is any who is wise,
if there is one who seeks after God.
3 Every one has proved faithless;
all alike have turned bad; *
there is none who does good; no, not one.
4 Have they no knowledge, all those evildoers *
who eat up my people like bread
and do not call upon the Lord?
5 See how they tremble with fear, *
because God is in the company of the righteous.
6 Their aim is to confound the plans of the afflicted, *
but the Lord is their refuge.
7 Oh, that Israel’s deliverance would come out of Zion! *
when the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.
Third Day: Morning Prayer

15 Domine, quis habitabit?

1 Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle? *
who may abide upon your holy hill?
2 Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right, *
who speaks the truth from his heart.
3 There is no guile upon his tongue;
he does no evil to his friend; *
he does not heap contempt upon his neighbor.
4 In his sight the wicked is rejected, *
but he honors those who fear the Lord.
5 He has sworn to do no wrong *
and does not take back his word.
6 He does not give his money in hope of gain, *
nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
7 Whoever does these things *
shall never be overthrown.

16 Conserva me, Domine

1 Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you; *
I have said to the Lord, “You are my Lord,
my good above all other.”
2 All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land, *
upon those who are noble among the people.
3 But those who run after other gods *
shall have their troubles multiplied.
4 Their libations of blood I will not offer, *
nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
5 O Lord, you are my portion and my cup; *
it is you who uphold my lot.
6 My boundaries enclose a pleasant land; *
indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
7 I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel; *
my heart teaches me, night after night.
8 I have set the Lord always before me; *
because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
9 My heart, therefore, is glad, and my spirit rejoices; *
my body also shall rest in hope.
10 For you will not abandon me to the grave, *
nor let your holy one see the Pit.
11 You will show me the path of life; *
in your presence there is fullness of joy,
and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

17 Exaudi, Domine

1 Hear my plea of innocence, O Lord;
give heed to my cry; *
listen to my prayer, which does not come from lying lips.
2 Let my vindication come forth from your presence; *
let your eyes be fixed on justice.
3 Weigh my heart, summon me by night, *
melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.
4 I give no offense with my mouth as others do; *
I have heeded the words of your lips.
5 My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law; *
in your paths my feet shall not stumble.
6 I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me; *
incline your ear to me and hear my words.
7 Show me your marvelous loving-kindness, *
O Savior of those who take refuge at your right hand
from those who rise up against them.
8 Keep me as the apple of your eye; *
hide me under the shadow of your wings,
9 From the wicked who assault me, *
from my deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They have closed their heart to pity, *
and their mouth speaks proud things.
11 They press me hard,
now they surround me, *
watching how they may cast me to the ground,
12 Like a lion, greedy for its prey, *
and like a young lion lurking in secret places.
13 Arise, O Lord; confront them and bring them down; *
deliver me from the wicked by your sword.
14 Deliver me, O Lord, by your hand *
from those whose portion in life is this world;
15 Whose bellies you fill with your treasure, *
who are well supplied with children
and leave their wealth to their little ones.
16 But at my vindication I shall see your face; *
when I awake, I shall be satisfied, beholding
your likeness.

Prayers -Call and Response -God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good!

We give thanks to you for your love, mercy, and grace!

God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good!

Give us courage to love our enemies and do good to those who hate us. We know that you love them. Help us to learn and see them through your eyes and heart.

God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good!


We give thanks that you are healing all those who are suffering in body, mind, soul, and spirit. 

God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good!

We pray and give thanks that yes, there are peacemakers and people striving for justice and respecting the dignity of every human being.

God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good!


We pray this night for an end to violence, terror, hatred, and bigotry. Help us to see that this wasn't you that brought these things about and live into your promises of compassion, acceptance, love and mercy. 
God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good!

We pray and give thanks for______________

God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good!

We not only recognize that God is Good but we are as well.
God is Good! All the time !All the time! God is Good! And we are good made in God's image and likeness.

We lift these our prayers in the words that The Most Reverend Michael Bruce Curry the Presiding Bishop our the Episcopal Church. We lift up our prayers in the name our Our Loving, Liberating, and Life Giving God. Amen. 

Our portion of scripture from A Season of Prayer: 40 days in the Desert


Give thanksgiving for the diversity of races and cultures
O God, who created all peoples in your image, we thank you for the wonderful diversity of races and cultures in this world. Enrich our lives by ever-widening circles of fellowship, and show us your presence in those who differ most from us, until our knowledge of your love is made perfect in our love for all your children; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, March 2  Luke 10:25-37


Luke 10:25-37 The Message (MSG)

Defining “Neighbor”

25 Just then a religion scholar stood up with a question to test Jesus. “Teacher, what do I need to do to get eternal life?”

26 He answered, “What’s written in God’s Law? How do you interpret it?”

27 He said, “That you love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and muscle and intelligence—and that you love your neighbor as well as you do yourself.”

28 “Good answer!” said Jesus. “Do it and you’ll live.”

29 Looking for a loophole, he asked, “And just how would you define ‘neighbor’?”

30-32 Jesus answered by telling a story. “There was once a man traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho. On the way he was attacked by robbers. They took his clothes, beat him up, and went off leaving him half-dead. Luckily, a priest was on his way down the same road, but when he saw him he angled across to the other side. Then a Levite religious man showed up; he also avoided the injured man.

33-35 “A Samaritan traveling the road came on him. When he saw the man’s condition, his heart went out to him. He gave him first aid, disinfecting and bandaging his wounds. Then he lifted him onto his donkey, led him to an inn, and made him comfortable. In the morning he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take good care of him. If it costs any more, put it on my bill—I’ll pay you on my way back.’

36 “What do you think? Which of the three became a neighbor to the man attacked by robbers?”

37 “The one who treated him kindly,” the religion scholar responded.

Jesus said, “Go and do the same.”


Prayers for Thoughtful and Thankful Thursday  

Blessed Lord we pray for all of our family members who have been in our thoughts and hearts throughout the day. Bring them to mind so that we may pray for them.

Blessed Lord make each day we live one of thoughtfulness and thanksgiving
Let us never forget that You made us and never to take that for granted.

Blessed Lord unburden our minds so that we may enjoy the joy and light you bring into our lives.
Help us to let go and let you be our guardian and guide.

Blessed Lord may we all ways be mindful of the homeless, the hungry, the lonely, the lost, the unemployed and all those who may be forgotten but known only to you.
Help us to remember they are our family members too and may we come to their aid.

Blessed Lord we pray for all those discerning vocations and calls to the ordained ministry and new life paths.

Blessed Lord we pray for all those who minister in all your congregations and religious communities in what ever faith is practiced.

Blessed Lord be with those who travel in bad weather. We pray for an end to all the bad weather back East and for rain to heal the drought parched lands of the West.

Blessed Lord take all our fears and turn them into faithfulness rooted in you and your love for us.
Help us to have faith when we are unsure and unsteady on our feet.

Blessed Lord help us to heal your broken world with our words, deeds, and by loving all of your creation with a spirit of grace, stewardship,  and equity.

Blessed Lord help us to speak truth to power daily and lead others to see you in our family members where there is hate and indifference. Help us to ring the bells, and speak truth to power all in the Key of Jesus.

Watch over all the places in the world  that are in trouble and war torn. Help us always to pray for peace and be peacemakers. Grant wisdom to our leaders that they may help aid those nations who are in trouble peaceful and non-warlike solutions for the good of all your people.

Blessed Lord be with all your children who feel alienated, discriminated against, hated, and bullied.  Help us to say no to these actions and bring them into your circle of abiding love and light.

Blessed Lord we pray for those who have asked us to carry prayers for in our hearts while we walk with you, remembering especially ________________________

Blessed Lord. we give thanks for all our blessings  especially___________________________

Blessed Lord  we celebrate _______________________As we celebrate everyday our life with you O God.

Blessed Lord we remember our family members who now reside with you in those amazing Thin Places where there is no pain but eternal joy and light and we remember them now_______________

Blessed Lord wrap your arms around those who grieve losses of any kind. Help us to be responsive to  our family members needs.

Gracious God we lay these our prayers, thanksgivings, celebrations, and remembrances in your arms and know that you are taking them and answering them according to your will and in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Let us listen  to John Rutter : I will sing with the Spirit and take time once again to bring to mind all those things that we have to be thankful for and these prayers have brought to our minds and our hearts.

+++++


++++++

Good Night All! I love you and give God Thanks for you this day and always!

With love, hugs, and blessings!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment