Friday, March 10, 2017

Day 6 of our Desert Wilderness Journey: Preparing to write our Wilderness narrative





Good Evening Dearly Loved Family of God and Love,

I hope everyone is ready for the weekend and remembers that this is Keeping The Faith Friday Fearlessly Without Fretting. Also this is Friday in the First Week in Lent. Instead of doing our worry/Sabbath Box, Jar, or journal tonight let us turn our attention to the writing of our Wilderness Narrative. This is something for you to do alone and use a private means of meditation. If you don't wish to do it that's ok but I think it might help us to seek God and what our own experiences in our own times of going into the wilderness. I will write mine sometime this weekend and will share it with you. 

Let's see what this Gospel story looks like in The Message:, The Voice, and J.B. Phillips' New Testament. These will give us an idea on how to write our narratives.

Matthew 4:1-11The Message (MSG)

The Test

1-3 Next Jesus was taken into the wild by the Spirit for the Test. The Devil was ready to give it. Jesus prepared for the Test by fasting forty days and forty nights. That left him, of course, in a state of extreme hunger, which the Devil took advantage of in the first test: “Since you are God’s Son, speak the word that will turn these stones into loaves of bread.”
Jesus answered by quoting Deuteronomy: “It takes more than bread to stay alive. It takes a steady stream of words from God’s mouth.”
5-6 For the second test the Devil took him to the Holy City. He sat him on top of the Temple and said, “Since you are God’s Son, jump.” The Devil goaded him by quoting Psalm 91: “He has placed you in the care of angels. They will catch you so that you won’t so much as stub your toe on a stone.”
Jesus countered with another citation from Deuteronomy: “Don’t you dare test the Lord your God.”
8-9 For the third test, the Devil took him to the peak of a huge mountain. He gestured expansively, pointing out all the earth’s kingdoms, how glorious they all were. Then he said, “They’re yours—lock, stock, and barrel. Just go down on your knees and worship me, and they’re yours.”
10 Jesus’ refusal was curt: “Beat it, Satan!” He backed his rebuke with a third quotation from Deuteronomy: “Worship the Lord your God, and only him. Serve him with absolute single-heartedness.”
11 The Test was over. The Devil left. And in his place, angels! Angels came and took care of Jesus’ needs.

Matthew 4:1-11The Voice (VOICE)

The Spirit then led Jesus into the desert to be tempted by the devil. Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. After this fast, He was, as you can imagine, hungry. But He was also curiously stronger, when the tempter came to Jesus.
Devil: If You are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.
Jesus (quoting Deuteronomy): It is written, “Man does not live by bread alone. Rather, he lives on every word that comes from the mouth of the Eternal One.”[a]
The point, of course, is not that Jesus couldn’t have turned these stones to bread. A little later in the story He can make food appear when He needs to. But Jesus doesn’t work miracles out of the blue, for no reason, for show or proof or spectacle. He works them in intimate, close places; He works them to meet people’s needs and to show them the way to the Kingdom.
Then the devil took Jesus to the holy city, Jerusalem, and he had Jesus stand at the very highest point in the holy temple.
Devil: If You are the Son of God, jump! And then we will see if You fulfill the Scripture that says,
    He will command His heavenly messengers concerning You,
        and the messengers will buoy You in their hands
    So that You will not crash, or fall, or even graze Your foot on a stone.[b]
Jesus: That is not the only thing Scripture says. It also says, “Do not put the Eternal One, your God, to the test.”[c]
And still the devil subjected Jesus to a third test. He took Jesus to the top of a very high mountain, and he showed Jesus all the kingdoms of the world in all their splendor and glory, their power and pomp.
Devil: If You bow down and worship me, I will give You all these kingdoms.
Jesus: 10 Get away from Me, Satan. I will not serve you. I will instead follow Scripture, which tells us to “worship the Eternal One, your God, and serve only Him.”[d]
11 Then the devil left Jesus. And heavenly messengers came and ministered to Him.

Matthew 4:1-11J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)

Jesus faces temptation alone in the desert

1-2 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit up into the desert, to be tempted by the devil. After a fast of forty days and nights he was very hungry.
“If you really are the Son of God,” said the tempter, coming to him, “tell these stones to turn into loaves.”
Jesus answered, “The scripture says ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God’.”
5-6 Then the devil took him to the holy city, and set him on the highest ledge of the Temple. “If you really are the Son of God,” he said, “Throw yourself down. For the scripture says—‘He shall give his angels charge concerning you,’ and ‘In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone’.”
“Yes,” retorted Jesus, “and the scripture also says ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God’.”
8-9 Once again the devil took him to a very high mountain, and from there showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their magnificence. “Everything there I will give you,” he said to him, “if you will fall down and worship me.”
10 “Away with you, Satan!” replied Jesus, “the scripture says, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only you shall serve’.”
11 Then the devil let him alone, and the angels came to him and took care of him.
++++++++
For the next few days meditate upon these three and ask yourselves these questions: Have I ever been tempted ? Have I ever had a wilderness experience? Do I have enough resolve to stave off the Devil/ Satan? Could I fast 40 days and 40 nights? Don't forget to pray the Lord's Prayer as you meditate:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever. Amen.

++++++++
Dear Ones Let us take time to light our candles and be at prayer and prepare our heart homes for tonight's Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil. We pray this night for all who are having their Sabbath time tonight and all who are in preparation for worship on Sunday. We pray for love and a spirit of understanding with all faith communities. We pray for all our  family members who lack food, clothing, and shelter. We pray that we may continue to be CALM (compassionate  accepting loving, and merciful). We pray that we may all be one and find new and enlivening ways to be God's family throughout the world. May we seek to become peacemakers and serve God by showing Love bearing Light, and promoting justice and equality. We pray that we all may be able to live authentically as the beautiful children of God God made us to be. 




Let us spend time in prayer meditating upon the Collect and Lessons for Friday in the First Week of Lent.

Lord Christ, our eternal Redeemer, grant us such fellowship in your sufferings, that, filled with your Holy Spirit, we may subdue the flesh to the spirit, and the spirit to you, and at the last attain to the glory of your resurrection; who lives and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Ezekiel 18:21–28

If the wicked turn away from all their sins that they have committed and keep all my statutes and do what is lawful and right, they shall surely live; they shall not die. None of the transgressions that they have committed shall be remembered against them; for the righteousness that they have done they shall live. Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord God, and not rather that they should turn from their ways and live? But when the righteous turn away from their righteousness and commit iniquity and do the same abominable things that the wicked do, shall they live? None of the righteous deeds that they have done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which they are guilty and the sin they have committed, they shall die.
Yet you say, “The way of the Lord is unfair.” Hear now, O house of Israel: Is my way unfair? Is it not your ways that are unfair? When the righteous turn away from their righteousness and commit iniquity, they shall die for it; for the iniquity that they have committed they shall die. Again, when the wicked turn away from the wickedness they have committed and do what is lawful and right, they shall save their life. Because they considered and turned away from all the transgressions that they had committed, they shall surely live; they shall not die.

Psalm 130

De profundis

1 Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
Lord, hear my voice; *
let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
2 If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss, *
O Lord, who could stand?
3 For there is forgiveness with you; *
therefore you shall be feared.
4 I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him; *
in his word is my hope.
5 My soul waits for the Lord,
more than watchmen for the morning, *
more than watchmen for the morning.
6 O Israel, wait for the Lord, *
for with the Lord there is mercy;
7 With him there is plenteous redemption, *
and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

Matthew 5:20–26

Jesus said, “I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
“You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to court with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.”

From A Season Of Prayer: 40 Days in The Desert

Friday, March 10 Pray for agriculture

Almighty God, we thank you for making the earth fruitful, so that it
might produce what is needed for life: Bless those who work in the
fields; give us seasonable weather; and grant that we may all share
the fruits of the earth, rejoicing in your goodness; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.

Let us turn to our 40 Days of Psalmody!

Tenth Day: Evening Prayer

53 Dixit insipiens

1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” *
All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
there is none who does any good.
2 God looks down from heaven upon us all, *
to see if there is any who is wise,
if there is one who seeks after God.
3 Every one has proved faithless;
all alike have turned bad; *
there is none who does good; no, not one.
4 Have they no knowledge, those evildoers *
who eat up my people like bread
and do not call upon God?
5 See how greatly they tremble,
such trembling as never was; *
for God has scattered the bones of the enemy;
they are put to shame, because God has rejected them.
6 Oh, that Israel’s deliverance would come out of Zion! *
when God restores the fortunes of his people
Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.


54 Deus, in nomine

1 Save me, O God, by your Name; *
in your might, defend my cause.
2 Hear my prayer, O God; *
give ear to the words of my mouth.
3 For the arrogant have risen up against me,
and the ruthless have sought my life, *
those who have no regard for God.
4 Behold, God is my helper; *
it is the Lord who sustains my life.
5 Render evil to those who spy on me; *
in your faithfulness, destroy the
6 I will offer you a freewill sacrifice *
and praise your Name, O Lord, for it is good.
7 For you have rescued me from every trouble, *
and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

55 Exaudi, Deus

1 Hear my prayer, O God; *
do not hide yourself from my petition.
2 Listen to me and answer me; *
I have no peace, because of my cares.
3 I am shaken by the noise of the enemy *
and by the pressure of the wicked;
4 For they have cast an evil spell upon me *
and are set against me in fury.
5 My heart quakes within me, *
and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
6 Fear and trembling have come over me, *
and horror overwhelms me.
7 And I said, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove! *
I would fly away and be at rest.
8 I would flee to a far-off place *
and make my lodging in the wilderness.
9 I would hasten to escape *
from the stormy wind and tempest.”
10 Swallow them up, O Lord;
confound their speech; *
for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
11 Day and night the watchmen make their rounds
upon her walls, *
but trouble and misery are in the midst of her.
12 There is corruption at her heart; *
her streets are never free of oppression and deceit.
13 For had it been an adversary who taunted me,
then I could have borne it; *
or had it been an enemy who vaunted himself against me,
then I could have hidden from him.
14 But it was you, a man after my own heart, *
my companion, my own familiar friend.
15 We took sweet counsel together, *
and walked with the throng in the house of God.
16 Let death come upon them suddenly;
let them go down alive into the grave; *
for wickedness is in their dwellings, in their very midst.
17 But I will call upon God, *
and the Lord will deliver me.
18 In the evening, in the morning, and at noonday,
I will complain and lament, *
and he will hear my voice.
19 He will bring me safely back from the battle
waged against me; *
for there are many who fight me.
20 God, who is enthroned of old, will hear me and
bring them down; *
they never change; they do not fear God.
21 My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade; *
he has broken his covenant.
22 His speech is softer than butter, *
but war is in his heart.
23 His words are smoother than oil, *
but they are drawn swords.
24 Cast your burden upon the Lord,
and he will sustain you; *
he will never let the righteous stumble.
25 For you will bring the bloodthirsty and deceitful *
down to the pit of destruction, O God.
26 They shall not live out half their days, *
but I will put my trust in you.

Eleventh Day: Morning Prayer

56 Miserere mei, Deus

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
for my enemies are hounding me; *
all day long they assault and oppress me.
2 They hound me all the day long; *
truly there are many who fight against me, O Most High.
3 Whenever I am afraid, *
I will put my trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust and will not be afraid, *
for what can flesh do to me?
5 All day long they damage my cause; *
their only thought is to do me evil.
6 They band together; they lie in wait; *
they spy upon my footsteps;
because they seek my life.
7 Shall they escape despite their wickedness? *
O God, in your anger, cast down the peoples.
8 You have noted my lamentation;
put my tears into your bottle; *
are they not recorded in your book?
9 Whenever I call upon you, my enemies will be put to flight; *
this I know, for God is on my side.
10 In God the Lord, whose word I praise,
in God I trust and will not be afraid, *
for what can mortals do to me?
11 I am bound by the vow I made to you, O God; *
I will present to you thank-offerings;
12 For you have rescued my soul from death and my feet
from stumbling, *
that I may walk before God in the light of the living.

57 Miserere mei, Deus

1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
for I have taken refuge in you; *
in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
until this time of trouble has gone by.
2 I will call upon the Most High God, *
the God who maintains my cause.
3 He will send from heaven and save me;
he will confound those who trample upon me; *
God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
4 I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people; *
their teeth are spears and arrows,
their tongue a sharp sword.
5 They have laid a net for my feet,
and I am bowed low; *
they have dug a pit before me,
but have fallen into it themselves.
6 Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
and your glory over all the earth.
7 My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; *
I will sing and make melody.
8 Wake up, my spirit;
awake, lute and harp; *
I myself will waken the dawn.
9 I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord; *
I will sing praise to you among the nations.
10 For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens, *
and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
11 Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
and your glory over all the earth.

58 Si vere utique

1 Do you indeed decree righteousness, you rulers? *
do you judge the peoples with equity?
2 No; you devise evil in your hearts, *
and your hands deal out violence in the land.
3 The wicked are perverse from the womb; *
liars go astray from their birth.
4 They are as venomous as a serpent, *
they are like the deaf adder which stops its ears,
5 Which does not heed the voice of the charmer, *
no matter how skillful his charming.
6 O God, break their teeth in their mouths; *
pull the fangs of the young lions, O Lord.
7 Let them vanish like water that runs off; *
let them wither like trodden grass.
8 Let them be like the snail that melts away, *
like a stillborn child that never sees the sun.
9 Before they bear fruit, let them be cut down like a brier; *
like thorns and thistles let them be swept away.
10 The righteous will be glad when they see the vengeance; *
they will bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked.
11 And they will say,
“Surely, there is a reward for the righteous; *
surely, there is a God who rules in the earth.”

++++++
God help us to tell our wilderness story without fear. Even if the story is private and we share it with you. 

God we pray for all who are experiencing their own wilderness time this weekend. May we lovingly respond to their needs.

God take away from us all temptations as we live out our lives in the midst of the holy.

God give us strong feet to walk in the wilderness and seek your loving presence.

God we pray for  all who are in discernment and spending time in the wilderness  listening to you and your call for their lives.

God we pray for all who are ill and in need of healing. Give them patience in the wilderness of healing .

God help our nation to get out of this time of being in the wilderness and may we walk the walk, and talk the talk and serve the least of these.

God help us we pray to know that we are never alone even when we feel like we are in our own personal wilderness.

God we pray this night for_______________

We lift up these our prayers this night and always to you, your son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Or these.

Let us enter into our worship space by listening to this: Moses Theme -Ennio Morricone

God we pray that as we your family who meet together nearby and far away through the gift of cyberspace may never take this time for granted.

We pray this night for all who are in need of prayer especially those who are on our heart homes_______________

We pray for all of our family members who are lost lonely and alone that they may be protected and and surrounded by your love. May we be given hearts and eyes to see who they are and not be afraid to love and help them.

We pray for all of our family members who are pre-grieving and grieving this weekend. May we help you love and comfort them.

We pray for sound government in our nation and the nations of the world. Let there be peace, justice and universal human rights. 

We pray for any and all concerns that are on our hearts and in our minds this night and place them one by one into the Worry/ Sabbath box.

We pray for all faith communities that we may be united in love and understanding and bonds of friendship and familyhood. 

We pray for all of our family members who are angry bitter bigoted, hate-filled, racist, and violent. We pray they may be led away from destruction and into loving and constructive actions for the good of all.

We pray for all of our family members who are in need of rest and sleep that they may be able to receive the gift of sleep and renewal.

We give thanks for__________________

We lift up these our prayers O God to you in the Name of your Son Jesus.

As we close our worship this night we remember these prayers.

The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

The Song of Mary    Magnificat
 Luke 1:46-55
My soul doth magnify the Lord, *
    and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
For he hath regarded *
    the lowliness of his handmaiden.
For behold from henceforth *
    all generations shall call me blessed.
For he that is mighty hath magnified me, *
    and holy is his Name.
And his mercy is on them that fear him *throughout all generations.
He hath showed strength with his arm; *
    he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat, *
    and hath exalted the humble and meek.
He hath filled the hungry with good things, *
    and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel, *
    as he promised to our forefathers,
    Abraham and his seed for ever.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen. 

+++++
Resources:
Book of Common Prayer
The Lectionary Page
The Bible Gateway.

++++++

Good Night Dear Ones! I love you ! I give thanks for our family time together and I give thanks To God for you especially! Rest gentle in God's arms this night and always!

With love and blessings!

Sara






No comments:

Post a Comment