Saturday, March 11, 2017

Day 7 of our Desert Wilderness Journey: Time for a vigil with prayers, psalms, and readings





Good Evening Dear Family of Love and God!

Happy Self-Care Saturday and Sabbath Rest Weekend. Today has been a day of rest and relaxation and quiet. As part of our Wilderness week and writing our Wilderness narrative we are going to do things a little more simple without me leading the meditation .That means a  time of our type of Vespers. Tonight we get to do the service in our hearts and if you want to you may pray aloud.. Tomorrow let us spend Sabbath time and write our wilderness narrative.

So dear brothers and sisters let us begin:

In peace we lay down our burdens and seek your presence O God.

From the rising of the sun to its going down, *
let the Name of the Lord be praised.
From the rising of the sun to its going down,
let the Name of the Lord be praised.
From this time forth for evermore:
Let the Name of the Lord be praised.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
From the rising of the sun to its going down,
let the Name of the Lord be praised.

V. The sun knows the time of its setting:
R. You make darkness that it may be night.


Dear Ones it is time to light our candles and be at prayer and take time out from our busy day to engage in our Virtual Candlelight Prayer Vigil. Tonight let us pray for peace in the world and in our hearts. Let us pray that all of us may respect the dignity of every living and human being. We pray for rain in the drought parched areas of the world. We pray for an end to violence, abuse, terror, and war. We pray that we may continue to be CALM (Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful) We pray that we may strive to make a difference in each other's lives and in the world about us. We pray that we may see God in each other's faces this week even when we are feeling personal friction.









Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.




Psalm 119:1–8

Aleph: Beati immaculati

1 Happy are they whose way is blameless, *
who walk in the law of the Lord!
2 Happy are they who observe his decrees *
and seek him with all their hearts!
3 Who never do any wrong, *
but always walk in his ways.
4 You laid down your commandments, *
that we should fully keep them.
5 Oh, that my ways were made so direct *
that I might keep your statutes!
6 Then I should not be put to shame, *
when I regard all your commandments.
7 I will thank you with an unfeigned heart, *
when I have learned your righteous judgments.
8 I will keep your statutes; *
do not utterly forsake me.

Canticle B
A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem

Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22

Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.

Deuteronomy 26:16–19

This very day the Lord your God is commanding you to observe these statutes and ordinances; so observe them diligently with all your heart and with all your soul. Today you have obtained the Lord’s agreement: to be your God; and for you to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, his commandments, and his ordinances, and to obey him. Today the Lord has obtained your agreement: to be his treasured people, as he promised you, and to keep his commandments; for him to set you high above all nations that he has made, in praise and in fame and in honor; and for you to be a people holy to the Lord your God, as he promised.

A Song of Our True Nature

Julian of Norwich

Christ revealed our frailty and our falling, *
our trespasses and our humiliations.
Christ also revealed his blessed power, *
his blessed wisdom and love.
He protects us as tenderly and as sweetly when we are in greatest need; *
he raises us in spirit
and turns everything to glory and joy without ending.
God is the ground and the substance, the very essence of nature; *
God is the true father and mother of natures.
We are all bound to God by nature, *
and we are all bound to God by grace.
And this grace is for all the world, *
because it is our precious mother, Christ.
For this fair nature was prepared by Christ
for the honor and nobility of all, *
and for the joy and bliss of salvation.


Matthew 5:43–48

Jesus said, “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Canticle 15

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

Our 40 Days of Psalmody!

Eleventh Day: Evening Prayer

59 Eripe me de inimicis

1 Rescue me from my enemies, O God; *
protect me from those who rise up against me.
2 Rescue me from evildoers *
and save me from those who thirst for my blood.
3 See how they lie in wait for my life,
how the mighty gather together against me; *
not for any offense or fault of mine, O Lord.
4 Not because of any guilt of mine *
they run and prepare themselves for battle.
5 Rouse yourself, come to my side, and see; *
for you, Lord God of hosts, are Israel’s God.
6 Awake, and punish all the ungodly; *
show no mercy to those who are faithless and evil.
7 They go to and fro in the evening; *
they snarl like dogs and run about the city.
8 Behold, they boast with their mouths,
and taunts are on their lips; *
“For who,” they say, “will hear us?”
9 But you, O Lord, you laugh at them; *
you laugh all the ungodly to scorn.
10 My eyes are fixed on you, O my Strength; *
for you, O God, are my stronghold.
11 My merciful God comes to meet me; *
God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
12 Slay them, O God, lest my people forget; *
send them reeling by your might
and put them down, O Lord our shield.
13 For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips,
for the cursing and lies that they utter, *
let them be caught in their pride.
14 Make an end of them in your wrath; *
make an end of them, and they shall be no more.
15 Let everyone know that God rules in Jacob, *
and to the ends of the earth.
16 They go to and fro in the evening; *
they snarl like dogs and run about the city.
17 They forage for food, *
and if they are not filled, they howl.
18 For my part, I will sing of your strength; *
I will celebrate your love in the morning;
19 For you have become my stronghold, *
a refuge in the day of my trouble.
20 To you, O my Strength, will I sing; *
for you, O God, are my stronghold and my merciful God.

60 Deus, repulisti nos

1 O God, you have cast us off and broken us; *
you have been angry;
oh, take us back to you again.
2 You have shaken the earth and split it open; *
repair the cracks in it, for it totters.
3 You have made your people know hardship; *
you have given us wine that makes us stagger.
4 You have set up a banner for those who fear you, *
to be a refuge from the power of the bow.
5 Save us by your right hand and answer us, *
that those who are dear to you may be delivered.
6 God spoke from his holy place and said: *
“I will exult and parcel out Shechem;
I will divide the valley of Succoth.
7 Gilead is mine and Manasseh is mine; *
Ephraim is my helmet and Judah my scepter
8 Moab is my wash-basin,
on Edom I throw down my sandal to claim it, *
and over Philistia will I shout in triumph.”
9 Who will lead me into the strong city? *
who will bring me into Edom?
10 Have you not cast us off, O God? *
you no longer go out, O God, with our armies.
11 Grant us your help against the enemy, *
for vain is the help of man.
12 With God we will do valiant deeds, *
and he shall tread our enemies under foot.

61 Exaudi, Deus

1 Hear my cry, O God, *
and listen to my prayer.
2 I call upon you from the ends of the earth
with heaviness in my heart; *
set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
3 For you have been my refuge, *
a strong tower against the enemy.
4 I will dwell in your house for ever; *
I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
5 For you, O God, have heard my vows; *
you have granted me the heritage of those
who fear your Name.
6 Add length of days to the king’s life; *
let his years extend over many generations.
7 Let him sit enthroned before God for ever; *
bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
8 So will I always sing the praise of your Name, *
and day by day I will fulfill my vows.

Twelfth Day: Morning Prayer

62 Nonne Deo?

1 For God alone my soul in silence waits; *
from him comes my salvation.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation, *
my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
3 How long will you assail me to crush me,
all of you together, *
as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
4 They seek only to bring me down from my place of honor; *
lies are their chief delight.
5 They bless with their lips, *
but in their hearts they curse.
6 For God alone my soul in silence waits; *
truly, my hope is in him.
7 He alone is my rock and my salvation, *
my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
8 In God is my safety and my honor; *
God is my strong rock and my refuge.
9 Put your trust in him always, O people, *
pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
10 Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath, *
even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
11 On the scales they are lighter than a breath, *
all of them together.
12 Put no trust in extortion;
in robbery take no empty pride; *
though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
13 God has spoken once, twice have I heard it, *
that power belongs to God.
14 Steadfast love is yours, O Lord, *
for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

63 Deus, Deus meus

1 O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you; *
my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
as in a barren and dry land where there is no water.
2 Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place, *
that I might behold your power and your glory.
3 For your loving-kindness is better than life itself; *
my lips shall give you praise.
4 So will I bless you as long as I live *
and lift up my hands in your Name.
5 My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness, *
and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
6 When I remember you upon my bed, *
and meditate on you in the night watches.
7 For you have been my helper, *
and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
8 My soul clings to you; *
your right hand holds me fast.
9 May those who seek my life to destroy it *
go down into the depths of the earth;
10 Let them fall upon the edge of the sword, *
and let them be food for jackals.
11 But the king will rejoice in God;
all those who swear by him will be glad; *
for the mouth of those who speak lies shall be stopped.

64 Exaudi, Deus

1 Hear my voice, O God, when I complain; *
protect my life from fear of the enemy.
2 Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked, *
from the mob of evildoers.
3 They sharpen their tongue like a sword, *
and aim their bitter words like arrows,
4 That they may shoot down the blameless from ambush; *
they shoot without warning and are not afraid.
5 They hold fast to their evil course; *
they plan how they may hide their snares.
6 They say, “Who will see us?
who will find out our crimes? *
we have thought out a perfect plot.”
7 The human mind and heart are a mystery; *
but God will loose an arrow at them,
and suddenly they will be wounded.
8 He will make them trip over their tongues, *
and all who see them will shake their heads.
9 Everyone will stand in awe and declare God’s deeds; *
they will recognize his works.
10 The righteous will rejoice in the Lord and put their trust in him, *
and all who are true of heart will glory.

New 40 prayers for 40 days!

God give us the strength to face our wilderness journeys in life and listen to you with ears of the heart.

God give us the courage to love all our family members Animal, vegetable, and mineral that we see each day on our journey through the wilderness.

God we pray for an end to all kinds of temptations that draw us away from you and the holy.

God we pray  and give thanks to you for the good times we encounter during these wilderness periods.

God we pray for our family members who are struggling and finding themselves in times of hardship, loss, and uncertainty.

God we pray for peace in our hearts, bodies, minds and spirits when we are in fallow and wilderness times of our lives.

God we pray for the protection of the environment, for clean air, for clean water, desert sands, forests, and wherever all the creatures you have made dwell. 

God we pray for an end to the violence, the terror, all forms of hatred, bigotry, and discrimination. May we sow seeds of compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy and may we learn from you the skills to be brought together as one precious family of the world.

God we pray for_____________________

God we lift up these our prayers this night to you. Amen.

Or these:


God we thank you for this time in the wilderness and our time of finding out more about who whose we are.

God we pray for all the times we are given wilderness journeys and see them as a time of growth in our relationship with you.

God we pray for peace and especially the peace which comes from being able to be on retreat with you.

God we pray for all who need times of respite and renewal. 

God, We pray for all who are in discernment and seeking their new life paths.

God we pray for all of our vulnerable family members who are in need.

God we pray for an end of all violence and terror and that peace may prevail upon earth.

God we pray for the courage to speak truth to power and be a voice for the voiceless ones. 

God we pray for all of our family members nearby and far away.

God we pray for the elderly, children, and the least of these.

God we pray and give thanks for__________________________

God we pray that we may continue to feel the enlivening and empowering work of the Holy Spirit with in us and that we may carry God's love, light, and mercy to the world.

 God we lift up these our prayers in the name of Jesus your son . Amen.


As we close our worship this night we remember these prayers.

O God, by your Word you marvelously carry out the work of reconciliation: Grant that in our Lenten fast we may be devoted to you with all our hearts, and united with one another in prayer and holy love; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



Today's Prayer from A Season of Prayer : 40 Days In The Desert.

Pray for prisons and
correctional institutions
Lord Jesus, for our sake you were condemned as a criminal: Visit
our jails and prisons with your pity and judgment. Remember all
prisoners, and bring the guilty to repentance and amendment of
life according to your will, and give them hope for their future.
When any are held unjustly, bring them release; forgive us, and
teach us to improve our justice. Remember those who work in these
institutions; keep them humane and compassionate; and save them
from becoming brutal or callous. And since what we do for those in
prison, O Lord, we do for you, constrain us to improve their lot. All
this we ask for your mercy’s sake. Amen,


The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10


Canticle D
A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *

and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Canticle F

A Song of Lamentation

Lamentations 1:12,16; 3:19,22-24,26
Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by? *
Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow,
Which was brought upon me, *
inflicted by God’s fierce anger.
For these things I weep; my eyes flow with tears, *
for a comforter is far from me, one to revive my courage.
Remember my affliction and my bitterness, *
wormwood and gall!
The steadfast love of God never ceases, *
God’s mercies never end.
They are new every morning; *
great is your faithfulness.
“God is my portion,” says my soul, *
“therefore will I hope in God.”
It is good that we should wait quietly *
for the coming of God’s salvation

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen. 

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.

(source: from Saint Clare)

+++++++++++

Good Night My Dear Family! I love you! Let us spend our Sabbath tomorrow seeking God in whatever worship setting God calls us to. This may be a church, hiking trail, beach, labyrinth, home, etc.  Sometimes God calls is  into those settings and to feel God's presence and love in community. I give thanks to God for you this night and always.

With love and as your sister on life's pilgrimage and journey.

Sara













No comments:

Post a Comment