Thursday, June 22, 2017

Evening Prayer on Being Thoughtful and Thankful Thursday!





Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Being Thoughtful and Thankful Thursday! My mind has been spinning in a good way trying to figure out what tonight's topic is going to be I have decided there isn't going to be a topic to meditate on but instead we will have an online prayer service. We need to dial in with God and each other now more than ever. Before we do this let us get our sacred place ready and enter into our sanctuary of love and in the silence of our hearts. 


Let us sit still and breathe.

Close your eyes and repeat the word peace until you feel relaxed and ready for prayer.

God, we come to you this night as tired, rattled, and emotionally fraught children in need of  a place of sanctuary. Help us we pray to light our candles and find our lives with you and resting peaceably in your arms as we offer these our prayers to you. We pray that all of us may take time to find sanctuary wherever we can. We pray for all of your children who are seeking a place of sanctuary after the events in all places of violence and terror especially_________. We pray that all places of sanctuary may be safe, peaceful, and away from the hustle and bustle of all things. We pray that in these places we may be able if we aren't able to, to live and be authentically who you have made us to be. We pray that We pray for sanctuaries for our family members who are refugees, on the margins, We pray that our countries and all nations may be a place of sanctuary for their residents and the aliens in their midst. We pray for an end to all forms of violence, bullying, and verbal discord  We continue to pray for all of our chronically ill people who are in need of sanctuary  so that they may accept your healing O,God.  God let us light our candles and quiet our minds, hearts, and spirits so that we may enter into this time of sanctuary. God keep reminding us that even Jesus went across the lake to pray. We lift up these our prayers and lighten our hearts and may we find sanctuary within you O, God. Amen. 




God is Spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and
in truth. John 4:24

O God, be not far from us.
 Come quickly to help us, O God.

Praise to the holy and undivided Trinity, one God: as it was in the
beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


Light of the World Phos hilaron




Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


31 In te, Domine, speravi

1 In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame; *
deliver me in your righteousness.

2 Incline your ear to me; *
make haste to deliver me.

3 Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
for you are my crag and my stronghold; *
for the sake of your Name, lead me and guide me.

4 Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me, *
for you are my tower of strength.

5 Into your hands I commend my spirit, *
for you have redeemed me,
O Lord, O God of truth.

6 I hate those who cling to worthless idols, *
and I put my trust in the Lord.

7 I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy; *
for you have seen my affliction;
you know my distress.

8 You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy; *
you have set my feet in an open place.

9 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; *
my eye is consumed with sorrow,
and also my throat and my belly.

10 For my life is wasted with grief,
and my years with sighing; *
my strength fails me because of affliction,
and my bones are consumed.

11 I have become a reproach to all my enemies and
even to my neighbors,
a dismay to those of my acquaintance; *
when they see me in the street they avoid me.

12 I am forgotten like a dead man, out of mind; *
I am as useless as a broken pot.

13 For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
fear is all around; *
they put their heads together against me;
they plot to take my life.

14 But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord. *
I have said, "You are my God.

15 My times are in your hand; *
rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
and from those who persecute me.

16 Make your face to shine upon your servant, *
and in your loving-kindness save me."

17 Lord, let me not be ashamed for having called upon you; *
rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
let them be silent in the grave.

18 Let the lying lips be silenced which speak against
the righteous, *
haughtily, disdainfully, and with contempt.

19 How great is your goodness, O Lord!
which you have laid up for those who fear you; *
which you have done in the sight of all
for those who put their trust in you.

20 You hide them in the covert of your presence from those
who slander them; *
you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.

21 Blessed be the Lord! *
for he has shown me the wonders of his love in a
besieged city.

22 Yet I said in my alarm,
"I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes." *
Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty
when I cried out to you.

23 Love the Lord, all you who worship him; *
the Lord protects the faithful,
but repays to the full those who act haughtily.

24 Be strong and let your heart take courage, *
all you who wait for the Lord.


Wisdom 3:1-9

3But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God,
and no torment will ever touch them. 
2 In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died,
and their departure was thought to be a disaster, 
3 and their going from us to be their destruction;
but they are at peace. 
4 For though in the sight of others they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality. 
5 Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy of himself; 
6 like gold in the furnace he tried them,
and like a sacrificial burnt-offering he accepted them. 
7 In the time of their visitation they will shine forth,
and will run like sparks through the stubble. 
8 They will govern nations and rule over peoples,
and the Lord will reign over them for ever. 
9 Those who trust in him will understand truth,
and the faithful will abide with him in love,
because grace and mercy are upon his holy ones,
and he watches over his elect.* 

Hear what the Spirit is saying to God’s people.

A Song of Judith
Judith 16:13-16
I will sing a new song to my God, *
for you are great and glorious, wonderful in strength, invincible.
Let the whole creation serve you, *
for you spoke and all things came into being.
You sent your breath and it formed them, *
no one is able to resist your voice.
Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths, *
rocks melt like wax at your presence.
But to those who fear you, *
you continue to show mercy.
No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you, *
but whoever fears the Lord shall stand in your sight for ever.



1 John 3:13-16

13 Do not be astonished, brothers and sisters,* that the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life because we love one another. Whoever does not love abides in death. 15 All who hate a brother or sister* are murderers, and you know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them. 16 We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us—and we ought to lay down our lives for one another.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to God’s people.


A Song of Our True Nature
Julian of Norwich
Christ revealed our frailty and our falling, *
our trespasses and our humiliations.
Christ also revealed his blessed power, *
his blessed wisdom and love.
He protects us as tenderly and as sweetly when we are in greatest need; *
he raises us in spirit
and turns everything to glory and joy without ending.
God is the ground and the substance, the very essence of nature; *
God is the true father and mother of natures.
We are all bound to God by nature, *
and we are all bound to God by grace.
And this grace is for all the world, *
because it is our precious mother, Christ.
For this fair nature was prepared by Christ
for the honor and nobility of all, *
and for the joy and bliss of salvation.

Matthew 10:34-42

34 ‘Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 
35 For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 
36 and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household. 
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.
40 ‘Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; 42 and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple—truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.’ 

Hear what the Spirit is saying to God’s people.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

Almighty God, by whose grace and power your holy martyr Alban triumphed over suffering and was faithful even unto death: Grant to us, who now remember him with thanksgiving, to be so faithful in our witness to you in this world, that we may receive with him the crown of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

Prayers and thanksgivings for Diversity

God we give you thanks this day for the gift of diversity. Thank you for all that diversity brings into our lives.


God we pray for all of the rich cultures found  throughout the world. We pray that we may see you in each and every face and reflect the love you give us back into their eyes. 

God we pray for peace in the world that wars and hatred may cease and that we may know only  how to be compassionate, accepting, loving, and merciful.

God we pray that we my be loving conservationists and help preserve the diverse landscape or your Cathedral of Life.

God we pray for all our loved ones who are facing yet another night in all kinds of  weather. We pray for warm shelters, nourishing meals, and warm clothing to be made available.

God we pray for all who are dying and transitioning from this life into the next.

God we pray for all of us who are mourning the losses of loved ones.

God we pray for refugees, victims of human trafficking, abuse, bullying, hatred, and the family members of terrorists who are mourning the loss of their children who have made a journey into the darker more harmful aspects of life. 

God we pray for ___________________________________

God we give thanks for______________________________

God we lift up all our faith communities this time of year that we may come to learn, respect, and love them and that we may come to their aid when hatred is lodged against them. May we sow seeds of love, hope, and generosity of spirit. 

God we lift up these our prayers and each other this night to your son Jesus for Love, healing, and refuge. Amen.

Tonight's extra prayers from THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER

Psalm 121 Levavi oculos

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills; *
from whence cometh my help?

My help cometh even from the Lord, *
who hath made heaven and earth.

He will not suffer thy foot to be moved, *
and he that keepeth thee will not sleep.

Behold, he that keepeth Israel *
shall neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord himself is thy keeper; *
the Lord is thy defence upon thy right hand;

So that the sun shall not burn thee by day, *
neither the moon by night.

The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil; *
yea, it is even he that shall keep thy soul.

The Lord shall preserve thy going out, and thy coming in, *
from this time forth for evermore.

For our Enemies
O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love
our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth;
deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in
your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For Social Justice
Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so
move every human heart [and especially the hearts of the
people of this land], that barriers which divide us may
crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our
divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace;

through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.



The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

Bonus Prayers 

  
Let's begin with our "Be Stills" and breathe!
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.
Take a few deep breaths , hold, and exhale slowly ! Pause
Close your eyes and relax your bodies.
Keep doing this as long as you need to.
Now won't you join with me and enter into our daily virtual prayer vigil?

God of all mercy you are hearing the cries of your people whose voices are waiting to be heard. We light our candles in solidarity of the voiceless ones who are on the marginalized and especially all of our family members who were killed in senseless and brutal acts of terror and hate We light our candles and raise our voices in prayer for the courage to speak truth to power. We pray this night for all of our leaders that they may come together for the benefit of all citizens We pray for the families of victims of hate crimes and terror. We pray for healing in our hearts, families, and our nation. We pray for unity and bridge building and that walls of division may come down. We pray for peace,hope, and healing among all peoples of the earth. We pray and light our candles in honor for all of the heroes of peaceful non-violent protest and the Civil Rights Movement. We offer our own prayers from our hearts and lift up these our prayers in your name. Amen.


Matthew 5:1-12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

The Beatitudes

5 When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

And Matthew 25 

The Judgment of the Nations

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. 34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,[g] you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Respond to these petitions with: May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort be with us this night as we pray for peace in this world and that we may live into our baptismal covenant with you and each other.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may we seek as one family with you to find solutions that will stem the tide of all violence and terror.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may we seek with you to find our true calling and life path.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort give us strength to speak out firmly and lovingly for those who haven't any voice.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort give us all a return to common sense. Take away from us all temptation to fall into a mob and hate mentality.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort we pray for all who are ill and in need of healing of their bodies, minds, and spirits.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may we be sources of comfort one to another and listen to you with our heart homes for those who are in need of help and may not be able to name their needs.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may we ever be mindful of our family members who are grieving losses and pre- grieving.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort we pray for all who have been senselessly murdered for who they are. Grant to them eternal rest.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort may all of us who struggle to live authentically without fear be able to speak and live our truth valiantly and with courage.
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
God of all comfort we pray and give thanks for_________________________
May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!
We lift up these our prayers in the Holy name of Jesus! Amen.

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)


Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21


Good Night Dear Family ! I love you and "I am sending you light to heal you to hold you. I'm sending you Light to hold you in Love" (John Phillip Newell) I give thanks to God for you as we walk together on life's journey. 

With love and peace,

Sara

Resources:
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship
Walk With Me On Our Journey


No comments:

Post a Comment