Thursday, June 1, 2017

Just a quick note and your homework for two days!



Good Morning Dear Family of Love!



Happy Being Thoughtful and Thankful Thursday! I wanted to let everyone know that I am going on retreat for two days to Jalama Beach with the women of our parish and I won't be taking my computer. The blog will be on hiatus for two nights but I will be back on Saturday.

I have selected the following blogs from past years on June 1 and June 2 with links to them. Below are the two sets of lessons for the feast days coming up for you to meditate upon.


Justin- Martyr of Rome

Collect of the day!

Almighty and everlasting God, you found your martyr Justin wandering from teacher to teacher, seeking the true God, and you revealed to him the sublime wisdom of your eternal Word: Grant that all who seek you, or a deeper knowledge of you, may find and be found by you; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
 
1 Corinthians 1:18-25
18 For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written,
‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
   and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.’
20Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, God decided, through the foolishness of our proclamation, to save those who believe. 22For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, 23but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling-block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.
Psalm: 
Psalm 16:5-11 or 116:1-8
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup; *
       it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land; *
       indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel; *
       my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me; *
       because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad, and my spirit rejoices; *
       my body also shall rest in hope.
10 For you will not abandon me to the grave, *
       nor let your holy one see the Pit.
11 You will show me the path of life; *
       in your presence there is fullness of joy,
       and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.
or
I love the Lord, because he has heard the voice of
                            my supplication, *
       because he has inclined his ear to me whenever
                            I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
  the grip of the grave took hold of me; *
       I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the Name of the Lord: *
       “O Lord, I pray you, save my life.”
Gracious is the Lord and righteous; *
       our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent; *
       I was brought very low, and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul, *
       for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death, *
       my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord *
       in the land of the living.
 
John 12:44-50
44 Then Jesus cried aloud: ‘Whoever believes in me believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness. 47I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48The one who rejects me and does not receive my word has a judge; on the last day the word that I have spoken will serve as judge, 49for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak. 50And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has told me.’
Tomorrow
Blandina and Her Companions, the Martyrs of Lyons

Grant, O Lord, that we who keep the feast of the holy martyrs Blandina and her companions may be rooted and grounded in love of you, and may endure the sufferings of this life for the glory that shall be revealed in us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Jeremiah 12:1–3a

You will be in the right, O Lord,
when I lay charges against you;
but let me put my case to you.
Why does the way of the guilty prosper?
Why do all who are treacherous thrive?
You plant them, and they take root;
they grow and bring forth fruit;
you are near in their mouths
yet far from their hearts.
But you, O Lord, know me;
You see me and test me—my heart is with you.
Pull them out like sheep for the slaughter,
and set them apart for the day of slaughter.
Psalm 34:1–8

Benedicam Dominum

1 I will bless the Lord at all times; * 
his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
2 I will glory in the Lord; * 
let the humble hear and rejoice.
3 Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord; * 
let us exalt his Name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me * 
and delivered me out of all my terror.
5 Look upon him and be radiant, * 
and let not your faces be ashamed.
6 I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me * 
and saved me from all my troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encompasses those who fear him, * 
and he will deliver them.
8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; * 
happy are they who trust in him!

1 Peter 1:3–9
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith-- being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire-- may be found to result in praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Mark 8:34–38
Jesus called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

Blogs from the Past:
June 1st 2014
June 1st  2015
June 1st 2016
June 2, 2014
June 2, 2015
June 2, 2016
I hope this helps you all along the way. I love you and give thanks to God for you each day. When I return on Saturday you will have a fresh blog and a whole lot of new and amazing insights. 
With love from me to you!
Peace, love, prayers, and God's Blessings!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment