Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Ubuntu: Is today's word!




Good Evening Dear Family of God and Love!

Happy Take Care Tuesday!  Last evening we talked about hope and how we need to have it and find it during dark times. Tonight we as people of faith need to realize that we must rely on each other and also reflect God to one another on a daily basis. This is what we call in African -Ubuntu. Ubuntu is what we all must be striving to do and to be. If you don't know what Ubuntu means let's listen to Archbishop Desmond Tutu describe it in this video: 

Ubuntu a Brief Description - Desmond Tutu

Ubuntu 2


Image may contain: text

Ubuntu came to me last evening when God in his wonderful way kind of got me to thinking and looking up words and Ubuntu was one of them. It stuck like glue and this definitely resonated with me because of all that has been happening in our lives, the nation's life, and the lives of our family members all over the world. We need to be hopeful and hope-filled by being together. God calls us to get out of the gimme, gimme, gimme world and put a we not me attitude. Today we celebrate the feast day of Ini Kopuria founder of the Melanesian Brotherhood in 1925. Monastic orders, brotherhoods, sisterhoods, etc all have something in common, community. Ubuntu makes that perfectly clear in many ways at the same time reminding us that we must show kindness and humanity to others as in the Sermon on the Mount, the Prophet Micah, and Matthew 25 etc. Never before has there been a time where being in community is more needed than now. We haven't got any choice in the matter. God is calling us to get out of the Me, Me, Me, and ego based world and wants us to replace it with we, us, never they, never them, We must strive to live out our baptismal vows daily with love and courage and make them feel like a spiritual phylactery on our foreheads, and arms. We are to be God's hand and feet in the world. So dear ones let us pray and practice Ubuntu and get to the business of spreading the Good News, God News, and Do the Work God (God Work ) to a fragile and broken world. So we begin as we usually do with prayer and scripture reading. 


Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind, in the waves, and in our hearts
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind,in  the waves.
Be still and hear the whisper of God in the Wind.
Be still and hear the whisper of God.
Be still and hear the whisper.
Be still and hear.
Be still.
Be.

God when you called us into being, you made us in your image and likeness and that we were and are to be the Lights of the World help us we pray as we light these our candles tonight to shine our love lights into places where there is darkness. Give us strength we pray that we may have courage to shine those lights where we normally wouldn't see ourselves going. We pray for all of our family members who are in dangerous and terrifying places. We pray for an end to violence, terror, bullying, abuse, and degradation and division. We pray for a world renewed by peace, love, mercy, and clean water and a healthy environment. We pray for all of us who are brokenhearted and who need to have our wounds dressed and tenderly cared for. We pray that we may be the shoulders to lean upon and cry and the soft place in which to fall and feel safe. Give us the courage to be this place even to the least of these, our enemies, and those who hate us. God of all Compassion, Acceptance, Love and Mercy we offer our additional prayers and thanksgivings remembering_________________. God we lay these our prayers, and thanksgivings at the feet and arms of your Son Jesus. We also remember that The light and love of Christ in me recognizes the Light and love of Christ in You. Amen.





31 In te, Domine, speravi

1 In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame; *
deliver me in your righteousness.

2 Incline your ear to me; *
make haste to deliver me.

3 Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
for you are my crag and my stronghold; *
for the sake of your Name, lead me and guide me.

4 Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me, *
for you are my tower of strength.

5 Into your hands I commend my spirit, *
for you have redeemed me,
O Lord, O God of truth.
6 I hate those who cling to worthless idols, *
and I put my trust in the Lord.

7 I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy; *
for you have seen my affliction;
you know my distress.

8 You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy; *
you have set my feet in an open place.

9 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; *
my eye is consumed with sorrow,
and also my throat and my belly.

10 For my life is wasted with grief,
and my years with sighing; *
my strength fails me because of affliction,
and my bones are consumed.

11 I have become a reproach to all my enemies and
even to my neighbors,
a dismay to those of my acquaintance; *
when they see me in the street they avoid me.

12 I am forgotten like a dead man, out of mind; *
I am as useless as a broken pot.

13 For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
fear is all around; *
they put their heads together against me;
they plot to take my life.

14 But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord. *
I have said, "You are my God.

15 My times are in your hand; *
rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
and from those who persecute me.

16 Make your face to shine upon your servant, *
and in your loving-kindness save me."

17 Lord, let me not be ashamed for having called upon you; *
rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
let them be silent in the grave.

18 Let the lying lips be silenced which speak against
the righteous, *
haughtily, disdainfully, and with contempt.

19 How great is your goodness, O Lord!
which you have laid up for those who fear you; *
which you have done in the sight of all
for those who put their trust in you.

20 You hide them in the covert of your presence from those
who slander them; *
you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.

21 Blessed be the Lord! *
for he has shown me the wonders of his love in a
besieged city.

22 Yet I said in my alarm,
"I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes." *
Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty
when I cried out to you.

23 Love the Lord, all you who worship him; *
the Lord protects the faithful,
but repays to the full those who act haughtily.

24 Be strong and let your heart take courage, *
all you who wait for the Lord.

A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.


Zechariah 1:7-11

7 On the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month, the month of Shebat, in the second year of Darius, the word of the Lord came to the prophet Zechariah son of Berechiah son of Iddo; and Zechariah* said, 8 In the night I saw a man riding on a red horse! He was standing among the myrtle trees in the glen; and behind him were red, sorrel, and white horses. 9 Then I said, ‘What are these, my lord?’ The angel who talked with me said to me, ‘I will show you what they are.’ 10 So the man who was standing among the myrtle trees answered, ‘They are those whom the Lord has sent to patrol the earth.’ 11 Then they spoke to the angel of the Lord who was standing among the myrtle trees, ‘We have patrolled the earth, and lo, the whole earth remains at peace.’

The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever


Revelation 14:13-16

13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying, ‘Write this: Blessed are the dead who from now on die in the Lord.’ ‘Yes,’ says the Spirit, ‘they will rest from their labours, for their deeds follow them.’
14 Then I looked, and there was a white cloud, and seated on the cloud was one like the Son of Man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand! 15 Another angel came out of the temple, calling with a loud voice to the one who sat on the cloud, ‘Use your sickle and reap, for the hour to reap has come, because the harvest of the earth is fully ripe.’ 16 So the one who sat on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the earth was reaped.

A Song of the Spirit
Revelation 22:12-17
“Behold, I am coming soon,” says the Lord,
“and bringing my reward with me, *
to give to everyone according to their deeds.
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, *
the beginning and the end.”
Blessed are those who do God’s commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, *
and may enter the city through the gates.
“I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you, *
with this testimony for all the churches.
“I am the root and the offspring of David, *
I am the bright morning star.”
“Come!” say the Spirit and the Bride; *
“Come!” let each hearer reply!
Come forward, you who are thirsty, *
let those who desire take the water of life as a gift.

Matthew 8:5-13

5 When he entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, appealing to him  6 and saying, ‘Lord, my servant is lying at home paralysed, in terrible distress.’ 7 And he said to him, ‘I will come and cure him.’ 8 The centurion answered, ‘Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, “Go”, and he goes, and to another, “Come”, and he comes, and to my slave, “Do this”, and the slave does it.’ 10 When Jesus heard him, he was amazed and said to those who followed him, ‘Truly I tell you, in no one* in Israel have I found such faith. 11 I tell you, many will come from east and west and will eat with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, 12 while the heirs of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 13 And to the centurion Jesus said, ‘Go; let it be done for you according to your faith.’ And the servant was healed in that hour.


A Song of Our True Nature
Julian of Norwich
Christ revealed our frailty and our falling, *
our trespasses and our humiliations.
Christ also revealed his blessed power, *
his blessed wisdom and love.
He protects us as tenderly and as sweetly when we are in greatest need; *
he raises us in spirit
and turns everything to glory and joy without ending.
God is the ground and the substance, the very essence of nature; *
God is the true father and mother of natures.
We are all bound to God by nature, *
and we are all bound to God by grace.
And this grace is for all the world, *
because it is our precious mother, Christ.
For this fair nature was prepared by Christ
for the honor and nobility of all, *
and for the joy and bliss of salvatio


PRAYER (contemporary language) 
Loving God, we bless your Name for the witness of Ini Kopuria, founder of the Melanesian Brotherhood: Open our eyes that we, with these Anglican brothers, may establish peace and hope in service to others; for the sake of Jesus Christ, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

A Song of Our Adoption
Ephesians 1:3-10

Blessed are you, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *
for you have blessed us in Christ
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
Before the world was made, you chose us to be yours in Christ, *
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
You destined us for adoption as your children through Jesus Christ, *
according to the good pleasure of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace, *
that you have freely given us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace *
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight, *
the mystery of your will,
According to your good pleasure which you set forth in Christ, *
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To gather together all things in Christ, *
things in heaven and things on earth



Respond if you like:  God help us to bind up the brokenhearted and love and care for the least of these.


God we come to you in prayer with spirits that are hungry for a deeper relationship with you and all of our family members.

We pray for our family members who are hungry for nourishing and life giving food. May their bodies be filled. We pray for all soup kitchens feeding programs food banks, and pantries.

 We pray for our family members who are in need of clothing. May we take time to give our old and usable clothing away for those that need it.

 We pray for our family members who are in need of shelter this evening and if they need to be out in the cold that they may be safely protected. 

 We pray for our family members who are in need of affection we pray that our prayers may encircle them with a virtual prayer quilt of love and compassion. May they feel our prayers as a holy hug and embrace.

 We pray for our family members who are seeking  relationships and that they may come to know that the most important relationships are with God and themselves.

 We pray for our family members who are  hungering for knowledge that education may be made affordable and that everyone will have places in which to learn and grow.

We pray for our family members who are hungering and thirsting after righteousness.

 We pray for our family members who are hungering for justice,equality human rights, dignity, and respect.

 We pray for our family members who are hungering for CALM (Compassion Acceptance Love and Mercy)

We pray for our family members who are hungering for peace and Peace of Mind.

We pray for our family members who have come to us with their prayer requests remembering especially__________________.


We add these classics of faith  to make our time of prayer complete. From the BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER and other sources and adapted for our time together.

The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12 

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)

Christ Has No Body
Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion on this world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

The Song of Simeon    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel.

Optional meditation:

Let's do a refresher course on finding soulace* and solace for our bodies, mind, spirits, and  souls. We all need to do this every day as part of celebrating our lives every day. Let us go deeper and  and find peace , solace, and soulace*. Here is our meditation and listening music 
David Lanz- Variations on a theme From Pachelbel's Canon in D Major


God may we see you and find you as we pray

God may we see you  and find you in times of rest and renewal.

God may we  see you and find you in times when we feel down and discouraged. May we feel your loving and abiding presence.

God may we see you and find you in the eyes of all  of our family members . God let us sew seeds of love, hope, joy, and peace.

God may we see you and find you in our heart homes and be warmed by your love. May we shine the light of  your love with the love that comes from our heart homes.

God may we see you and find you in all your living creatures and in your Cathedral of Love and Life.

God may we see you and find you in  your still small voice of calm.

God may we see you and find you in the faces of all of our most vulnerable and fragile family members who are crying out for help and  seeking universal human rights, justice, equality, and a
cceptance.


God may we see you and find you in all those who practice medicine and the arts of healing. We pray for those who are ill and in need of healing of their bodies, minds, and spirits.

God may we see you and find you in the light of all children's eyes and that they may be protected and loved.

God may we see you and find you in times of peace and quiet.

God may we see you and find you in places of memories  and family history.

God may we see you and find you in all of our loved ones who now reside in the Thin Places as we  remember them and hold them in our heart homes.

God may we see you and find your presence in our heart homes as we grieve any kind of loss.

God may we see you and find you as we pray for ourselves and  our family members who have requested prayers on our behalf remembering especially____________________

God may we see you and find you in the daily celebration of our lives and in celebration of____________

God we pray these our prayers and may we see you and find you answering them in the Name of your only Son Jesus the Christ who knocks at the doors of our heart homes. Amen.


Good night dear ones! I love you and give thanks to God for our familyhood. I believe we have been practicing Ubuntu all along Remember this:

Ubuntu: “I am what I am because of who we all are”, or “I am because we are”



Sorry that the print doesn't look like it's yelling at us. I think this is another not so gentle tap on the shoulder from God. 

With love and in holy community together,

Sara


F.Y.I. here is the Link to Saint of the Day : Ini Kopuria

Resources:
 Book of Common Prayer
Satucket Lectionary Page
Enriching our Worship.
YouTube

Ubuntu- Wikipedia

Ubuntu : “I am what I am because of who we all are”, or “I am because we are”

No comments:

Post a Comment