Saturday, September 22, 2018

Happy Autumn! Time to make vigil and pray as we change seasons!





Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Autumn! I hope everyone has had a good day. Today I thought I was going to get a lot done but my flu and pneumonia shots brought me low. I was able to watch the livestream of the Consecration of the Rt. Rev. Carlye J. Hughes the new Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Newark. If you haven't seen the service, tune into YouTube and the Episcopal Diocese of Newark. I was uplifted and was able to take Sabbath day and then walk over for lunch at Cruizin' For Life and then return home for more rest. Rest has been on my plate today and I really have enjoyed it. I almost didn't blog but I wanted to make time as we have become accustomed to our Saturday Prayer Vigils where we light our candles and turn on our porch lights. Our ponderings for this evening are on Autumn please take time to enjoy them. 

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know
Be still
Be

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know
Be still
Be

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know
Be still
Be

Ponderings!


"God made sun and moon to distinguish the seasons, and day and night; and we cannot have the fruits of the earth but in their seasons.  But God hath made no decrees to distinguish the seasons of His mercies.  In Paradise the fruits were ripe the first minute, and in heaven it is always autumn. His mercies are ever in their maturity." ~ John Donne

"Just when summer gets perfect-fresh nights, soft sun, casual breezes, crushingly full and quietly cooling trees, empty beaches, and free weekends- it ends. Life is like that too. Just when we get it right, it starts to change. The job gets easy and we know just how to do it, and they tell us we're retired. The children grow up and get reasonable and they leave home, just when it's nice to have them around. . . . That's life on the edge of autumn. And that's beautiful-if we have the humility for it." ~ Joan D. Chittister

"God, we thank you for this earth, our homes; for the wide sky and the blessed sun, for the salt sea and the running water, for the everlasting hills and the never resting winds, for trees and the common grass underfoot. We thank you for our senses by which we hear the songs of birds, and see the splendor of the summer fields, and taste of the autumn fruits, and rejoice in the feel of the snow, and smell the breath of the spring. Grant us a heart wide open to all this beauty; and save our souls from being so blind that we pass unseeing when even the common thorn bush is aflame with your glory." ~ Walter Rauschenbusch

"Autumn is the Sabbath of the year; the time to think of all the past: nature's calm twilight before the darkness. It does make all men think at times; even the lightest and the worst. The distant days of our springtime, our faded summer, comes over us like a dream. We sit in the evening of our life in tender musings, and all that has been takes shadowy form again, and passes through the thoughts." ~ Cunningham Geikie

"Grant me, O Lord, a sunny mind-Thy windy will to bear!" ~ Emily Dickinson


"My visit this autumn is an opportunity to continue that rich tradition of visits between Canterbury and Rome." ~ Rowan Williams

"I know the lands are lit, with all the autumn blaze of Goldenrod." ~ Helen Hunt Jackson


"I notice that Autumn is more the season of the soul than of nature." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings." ~ John Muir


My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think that I am following Your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please You
does in fact please You.
And I hope that I have that desire
in all that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road
although I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust You always,
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death,
I will not fear, for You are ever with me,
and will never leave me
to face my perils alone.
Thomas Merton



Confession of Need (Enriching our Worship 2)

Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.
 
Silence

Minister and People
Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.

Minister
May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

God of All Kindness, we light our candles for all of our family members around the world who do not have access to food, clothing,shelter, clean water, and medical care. We pray for all of our family members who do not have a home to return to either by natural disaster or war and terrorist acts. We pray for all the many aid agencies that are struggling to meet the needs of our family members where resources are scarce. We pray that we may rise up and help them to seek and find solutions to the scarcity of programs and unmet needs. We pray for peace in this fragile and broken world and an end to terror, hatred, bullying and abuse. We pray for each other tonight and as God to heal, help, and console us as we struggle with aspects of daily living. We pray for justice and universal human rights for all. We pray that we may follow Jesus by being CALM(Compassionate, accepting, Loving, and Merciful). May we love one another and shine the light of Christ one to another "The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!"  May we all have a restful and blessed rest this night and always. 





In Lak 'Ech by Luis Valdez

Tú eres mi otro yo.

You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.

A Smudging Prayer

Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.
Amen.


Image result for Sage Cleansing Negative Energy

Psalm 108 Paratum cor meum

1 My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; *
I will sing and make melody.

2 Wake up, my spirit;
awake, lute and harp; *
I myself will waken the dawn.

3 I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord; *
I will sing praises to you among the nations.

4 For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens, *
and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

5 Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
and your glory over all the earth.

6 So that those who are dear to you may be delivered, *
save with your right hand and answer me.


Isaiah 44:1-6,8

44But now hear, O Jacob my servant,
   Israel whom I have chosen! 
2 Thus says the Lord who made you,
   who formed you in the womb and will help you:
Do not fear, O Jacob my servant,
   Jeshurun whom I have chosen. 
3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
   and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour my spirit upon your descendants,
   and my blessing on your offspring. 
4 They shall spring up like a green tamarisk,
   like willows by flowing streams. 
5 This one will say, ‘I am the Lord’s’,
   another will be called by the name of Jacob,
yet another will write on the hand, ‘The Lord’s’,
   and adopt the name of Israel. 


6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
   and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
I am the first and I am the last;
   besides me there is no god. 
8 Do not fear, or be afraid;
   have I not told you from of old and declared it?
   You are my witnesses!
Is there any god besides me?
   There is no other rock; I know not one. 

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem
Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22

Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.


Acts 18:7-11

7Then he left the synagogue* and went to the house of a man named Titius* Justus, a worshipper of God; his house was next door to the synagogue. 8Crispus, the official of the synagogue, became a believer in the Lord, together with all his household; and many of the Corinthians who heard Paul became believers and were baptized. 9One night the Lord said to Paul in a vision, ‘Do not be afraid, but speak and do not be silent; 10for I am with you, and no one will lay a hand on you to harm you, for there are many in this city who are my people.’ 11He stayed there for a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

Luke 9:1-6

9Then Jesus* called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, 2and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. 3He said to them, ‘Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money—not even an extra tunic. 4Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave from there. 5Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.’ 6They departed and went through the villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

A Song of True Motherhood
Julian of Norwich

God chose to be our mother in all things *
and so made the foundation of his work,
most humbly and most pure, in the Virgin’s womb.
God, the perfect wisdom of all, *
arrayed himself in this humble place.
Christ came in our poor flesh *
to share a mother’s care.
Our mothers bear us for pain and for death; *
our true mother, Jesus, bears us for joy and endless life.
Christ carried us within him in love and travail, *
until the full time of his passion.
And when all was completed and he had carried us so for joy, *
still all this could not satisfy the power of his wonderful love.
All that we owe is redeemed in truly loving God, *
for the love of Christ works in us;
Christ is the one whom we love.



Almighty God, whose Son Jesus Christ is the pioneer and perfecter of our faith: We give you heartfelt thanks for the pioneering spirit of your servant Philander Chase, and for his zeal in opening new frontiers for the ministry of your Church. Grant us grace to minister in Christ's name in every place, led by bold witnesses to the Gospel of the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Dear Lord, be good to me
   the sea is so wide
     and my boat is so small."

           Irish Fisherman's Prayer


"And I saw a river
over which every soul must pass
to reach the kingdom of heaven
and the name of that river was 'suffering'...
And then I saw a boat
which carries souls across the river
and the name of that boat was 'love.' 

St. John Of The Cross, 1542-1591
Spanish Mystic, Theologian

I'm reminded that all of these adventures point us to the need to be flexible not rigid.  This season calls us to be flexible like Gumby and not get so bent out of shape and worry like a nervous Nellie.

So dear family let us be willing to let go and let God, Listen to God's still small, voice and do what we are going to do now and have a period of meditation.  Tonight's meditation music if you are so inclined to use it is this:George Winston -Autumn

Gracious and loving God we welcome the season of Autumn with its beautiful hues and cool crisp air. May we see this as a time where we change our hues and lives positively for the good of  others and  in service to you.

Tonight we again lay down our burdens, worries, and all else that keep us from connecting with you and our Family Members.

Give us courage to meet the week ahead and look forward to what ever adventure you have called us to be on.

We pray for all of our family members near and far and especially those with whom we find unlovable and we don't understand. Help us to become united as the beautiful  and loving family you made us to be. May walk the walk and talk the talk and never lose sight of the fact that you made us each uniquely in Your  Image and Likeness. God help us to know that all that you have made is  Good and Holy.

We pray this night for peace and an end to violence and terror. We pray for all the many war torn areas around your broken and fragile world.

We pray for all of our family members who are the least of these and that we may step up to love and care for them without reservation and that we do this gladly in humble service to God.

We pray for all who are ill and seek your healing grace Lord Jesus. May we seek to be compassionate and loving to them.

We pray for all who mourn and especially the newly grieving. Help us to step up and care with love and mercy.

Gracious and Loving God enfold the dying and welcome those who have died and have entered into Joy with a loving embrace and a heavenly "Hello!"and welcome them at the table and mansion prepared for them.

God  instill in each of us an attitude of gratitude and may we always be thankful and thoughtful.

We offer our prayers and those on behalf of others to you and place them in your loving arms and in you most Holy Name Lord Jesus. Amen.

From the New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.    Amen.
Or
Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen


 I hope everyone is ready for our  period of Sabbath Rest, Self-care, retreat, and renewal. To enter in to our retreat mode let us meditate and pray Mendelssohn's "O Rest in the Lord" from Elijah. Let us read the lyrics and then listen to the song:

O rest in the Lord, wait patiently for Him,
And He shall give thee thy heart’s desires.
Oh, rest in the Lord,
Wait patiently for Him,
& He shall give thee thy heart’s desires;
& He shall give thee thy heart’s desires.
Commit thy way unto Him, and trust in Him,
Commit thy way unto Him, and trust in Him,
And fret not thyself because of evil doers.
O rest in the Lord, wait patiently for Him.
Wait patiently for Him.
Oh rest in the Lord,
wait patiently for Him.
& He shall give thee thy heart’s desires.
He shall give thee thy heart’s desires;
& He shall give thee thy heart’s desires.
Oh rest in the Lord.
Oh rest in the Lord.
& wait, wait, patiently for Him.
by Felix Mendelssohn (Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy) (1809-1847), 1846
from Psalm 37

Now listen.

O Rest In the Lord


Tonight let us take time to rest and go deeper into the center and find rest.  Please take time all the time you need and rest. Just sit quietly, breathe deeply, and pray along with the prayers below.

God as we take our rest in you may we seek to come to know you more fully and listen to you with the ears of our hearts.

God as we take our rest in you may we continue to seek ways to be loving to the least of these.

God as we take our rest in you may we find our selves being awakened to new and exciting ways in which to serve  our family members.

God as we take our rest in you may we remember all of the workers and caregivers who do not have adequate respite and the need for soft places in which to fall.

God as we take our rest in you may  we pray for peace in the world and in our hearts.

God as we take our rest in you we  pray for our family members who are ill.

God as we take our rest in you we pray for_______________________

God as we take our rest in you we give thanks for________________________

God as we take our rest in you we pray to an end to violence ,terror, injustice, and abuse.

Again let us engage in the simple "Be Stills"
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know
Be still
Be


Psalm 134 

1 Behold now, bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, *
you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
2 Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the Lord; *
the Lord who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will
give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me;
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for
your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or
weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who
sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless
the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the
joyous; and all for your love’s sake. Amen

The Song of SimeonNunc Dimittis

1 Lord now you let your servant ′ go in ′ peace:
your ′ word has ′ been ful′filled.
2 My own eyes have ′ seen the · sal′vation:
which you have prepared in the ′ sight of ′ every ′ people,
3† a light to reveal you ′ to the ′ nations:
and the ′ glory · of your ′ people ′ Israel.Luke 2:29-32
Glory to the Father and ′ to the ′ Son:
and ′ to the ′ Holy ′ Spirit;
as it was in the beginning · is ′ now:
and shall be for ′ ever. ′ A′men.
Gracious God, 
you have given us much today; 
grant us also a thankful spirit. 
Into your hands we commend ourselves 
and those we love. 
Be with us still, 
and when we take our rest, 
renew us for the service of your Son Jesus Christ.
Amen.

May the God of all grace 
who has called us to eternal glory in Christ,
restore, establish and strengthen us. 
To the one true God be the dominion for ever and ever.
Amen.


Saturday – The Patrick Compline (Northumbria Community)

Patrick (389-461) was a Briton and a former slave in Ireland. He became the ‘Apostle to Ireland’, travelling widely, evangelizing tirelessly and organizing churches and monasteries. He established his episcopal seat in Armagh, which became the centre of Christianity in the whole of Ireland. Patrick was fearless in the pursuit of his aim: to destroy paganism and to exalt the name of the Triune God.

+ (silently)

In the name of the King of life;
in the name of the Christ of love;
in the name of the Holy Spirit:
the Triune of my strength.

* I love you, O Lord my strength.
The Lord is my rock,
my fortress and my deliverer.
My God is my rock
in whom I take refuge.

* I will praise the Lord who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.

* I have set the Lord always before me.
Because He is at my right hand,
I shall not be shaken.

I am placing my soul and my body
under Thy guarding this night, O Christ.
May Thy cross this night be shielding me.

* Into Your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O Lord, the God of Truth.

* The God of life with guarding hold you;
the loving Christ with guarding fold you;
the Holy Spirit, guarding, mould you;
each night of life to aid, enfold you;
each day and night of life uphold you.

May God shield me;
may God fill me;
may God keep me;
may God watch me;
may God bring me this night
to the nearness of His love.

* The peace of the Father of joy,
the peace of the Christ of hope,
the peace of the Spirit of grace,

the peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

++++

Good Night Dear Ones! Our theme this weekend will be on how we as people must be receptive to seasonal changes, not just liturgical ones. 
I love you, may God give us his blessing, and may we show gratitude, hospitality one to another each day that we live, move, and just be.

With love and blessings,

Sara

Resources: 
Satucket for Lectionary texts and our Saint of the Day: Philander Chase
New Zealand Prayer Book: A New Zealand Prayer Book
YouTube for Music
Book of Common Prayer
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Northumbria Community
A to Z quotes


Bonus Prayers!

Prayers of Hope

Let us pray!

God of Hope, as we enter fully into the Fall and Winter Months  may we be given lenses that show us many things and where you would have us go, and what we are to become. Help us to lay down our worries and fears so that we may wait, watch, pray, and listen to you with open ears, hearts, and spirits.

God of Hope we pray for all of our family members who are in need of hope when they feel hopeless. Help us to bring hope to Your fragile and broken world.

God of Hope we pray for all our family members who are forced to live on the streets and out of doors during the cold weather. We pray that they may find sheltered areas from the winds, cold, rain, and snow. We pray that there may be homeless shelters and warming centers that will meet their needs as we know that one shelter type doesn't fit all.

God of Hope, we pray for our littlest family members who are in children's hospitals and PICU that they may be healed and be able to enjoy the holidays with their families.

God of Hope, we pray for all those who are dying and have died today that they may feel your loving presence and give them hope as they enter the Thin Places.

God of Hope, show us how to help creatively without having to write a check.

God of Hope, we pray for peace in your fragile and broken world. May we truly be blessed as peacemakers and find ourselves as your children. 

God of Hope, we pray for all caregivers that they my find rest and respite. 

God of Hope, we thank you for the gift of rain. May we continue to have more rain to refresh, replenish, and renew your  drought parched earth.

God of Hope, help us to see You in all of our Family of Love's faces and that we may act accordingly and love, honor, and respect each other.

God of Hope, help us to love more fully, care more deeply, comfort with more compassion, and be more accepting  and inclusive of all our family members.

God of Hope help us to console and comfort all who mourn at any stage of grief. Give us courage not to let any of our family members fall through the cracks. 

God of Hope, we pray this night for all refugees, captives, political prisoners, victims of violence and abuse of any kind, victims of human trafficking and slavery. 

God of Hope, we pray for ourselves and on behalf of others remembering especially______________

God of Hope, we offer our thanksgivings remembering especially______________________

God of Hope, we offer these our prayers and thanksgivings in the name of your only begotten son Jesus. Amen.

Or these prayers!
  

Now let us take time to pray to the loving and merciful God who made us and speaks to us gently and lovingly to our hearts,minds, and spirits every minute that we live, move, and just be!

God speak to our troubled minds and spirits as we prepare for our night's rest. We pray that we may take time to rest and pray more fully and in the knowledge that you are holding us and our family members in your arms that are loving and merciful.

God  we pray for peace in our hearts, minds, bodies, spirits, and this world that you have created. We pray especially for unity where there is deep division. We pray that we may become truly peacemakers and learn what it is to make peace at all levels of our being.

God we pray for all of our family members who are ill in body, mind, and spirit that they may be healed. We remember this day_____________________

God we pray for all of our family members who have died and are transitioning into new lives in the Thin Places and Eternal Life and Joy.

God we pray for all who are struggling to find meaning and new life paths by life's wrinkly twists and turns.

God we pray for all who are being affected by severe weather remembering especially the people in the path of Matthew and all other places in our nation and throughout the world.

God we pray for all refugees, captives, victims of violence and abuse, and terror. 

God we pray that we may love, include, and never treat anyone as invisible and give everyone a sense of belonging.

God of all Goodness we lift up these our prayers in the Name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment