Saturday, September 1, 2018

It is Saturday Night and our time of vigil and prayer! Let us light not only our candles, porchlights but our inner beings as well!







It is Saturday Night and our time of vigil and prayer! Let us light not only our candles, porch lights but our inner beings as well!


Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Weekend! I hope all is well. Let us take time to pray, meditate and rest. Nothing more, nothing less. So let us begin. Don't forget it is time for our weekly porch light and candle light prayer vigil.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Lather, rinse, repeat if necessary.



If I chose to hide you away, it is for a reason.
I have brought you to this place.
Drink in the silence. Seek solitude.

Listen to the silence.

It will teach you. It will build strength
Let others share it with you.
It is little to be found elsewhere.

Silence will speak more to you in a day than the world of voices can teach you in a lifetime.
Find silence. Find solitude – and having discovered her riches, bind her to your heart.

           Frances J. Roberts


Let us light our candles and be at prayer! 



Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

 Our pondering quotes of the day:

"The birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus means that one day everything sad will come untrue." - J. R. R. Tolkien

"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks." - J. R. R. Tolkien

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - J. R. R. Tolkien

"Living by faith includes the call to something greater than cowardly self-preservation." - J. R. R. Tolkien

"It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit." - J. R. R. Tolkien

"You aren't nearly through this adventure yet." - J. R. R. Tolkien

"There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for." - J. R. R. Tolkien


Tomorrow we will return with our contextual readings. Today we will meditate upon the following lessons.


Psalm 96:1–7

Cantate Domino

1 Sing to the Lord a new song; *
sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
2 Sing to the Lord and bless his Name; *
proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
3 Declare his glory among the nations *
and his wonders among all peoples.
4 For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised; *
he is more to be feared than all gods.
5 As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols; *
but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
6 Oh, the majesty and magnificence of his presence! *
Oh, the power and the splendor of his sanctuary!
7 Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples; *
ascribe to the Lord honor and power.


Isaiah 52:7–10

How beautiful upon the mountains
are the feet of the messenger who announces peace,
who brings good news,
who announces salvation,
who says to Zion, ‘Your God reigns.’
Listen! Your sentinels lift up their voices,
together they sing for joy;
for in plain sight they see
the return of the Lord to Zion.
Break forth together into singing,
you ruins of Jerusalem;
for the Lord has comforted his people,
he has redeemed Jerusalem.
The Lord has bared his holy arm
before the eyes of all the nations;
and all the ends of the earth shall see
the salvation of our God.

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever

Romans 8:1–6

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do: by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and to deal with sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, so that the just requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem
Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22

Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.

Luke 10:1–9

After this the Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go. He said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. Go on your way. See, I am sending you out like lambs into the midst of wolves. Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road. Whatever house you enter, first say, `Peace to this house!' And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you. Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the laborer deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house. Whenever you enter a town and its people welcome you, eat what is set before you; cure the sick who are there, and say to them, `The kingdom of God has come near to you.'"

A Song of True Motherhood
Julian of Norwich

God chose to be our mother in all things *
and so made the foundation of his work,
most humbly and most pure, in the Virgin’s womb.
God, the perfect wisdom of all, *
arrayed himself in this humble place.
Christ came in our poor flesh *
to share a mother’s care.
Our mothers bear us for pain and for death; *
our true mother, Jesus, bears us for joy and endless life.
Christ carried us within him in love and travail, *
until the full time of his passion.
And when all was completed and he had carried us so for joy, *
still all this could not satisfy the power of his wonderful love.
All that we owe is redeemed in truly loving God, *
for the love of Christ works in us;
Christ is the one whom we love.

O God of unsearchable wisdom and infinite mercy, you chose a captive warrior, David Oakerhater, to be your servant, and sent him to be a missionary to his own people, and to exercise the office of a deacon among them: Liberate us, who commemorate him today, from bondage to self, and empower us for service to you and to the neighbors you have given us; through Jesus Christ, the captain of our salvation; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


God we light one candle tonight as we vigil for peace, justice and unity.  




The Patrick Compline from the Northumbria Community

+ (silently)

In the name of the King of life;
in the name of the Christ of love;
in the name of the Holy Spirit:
the Triune of my strength.

* I love you, O Lord my strength.
The Lord is my rock,
my fortress and my deliverer.
My God is my rock
in whom I take refuge.

* I will praise the Lord who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.

* I have set the Lord always before me.
Because He is at my right hand,
I shall not be shaken.

I am placing my soul and my body
under Thy guarding this night, O Christ.
May Thy cross this night be shielding me.

* Into Your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O Lord, the God of Truth.

* The God of life with guarding hold you;
the loving Christ with guarding fold you;
the Holy Spirit, guarding, mould you;
each night of life to aid, enfold you;
each day and night of life uphold you.

May God shield me;
may God fill me;
may God keep me;
may God watch me;
may God bring me this night
to the nearness of His love.

* The peace of the Father of joy,
the peace of the Christ of hope,
the peace of the Spirit of grace,

the peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.


God we light our candles as we pray for guidance as we put our gratitude list together. Help us to pray the items we put down.




God I am grateful for this country in which we live and that we may have the courage not to walk lock step with each other but with a rich diversity of personhood and spirit. 

God I am grateful that we are given the courage to speak truth to power and practice civil disobedience when we don't have the words. 

God I am grateful for the many men and women who have been able to make positive contributions to this nation. 

God I am grateful to be able to practice my religion without fear but with radical courage and joy.

God I am grateful to be able to strive to live authentically as I am. We pray that others may be afforded the same universal human rights  and privileges. 

God I am grateful to be able to read any book I so choose. 

God I am grateful for refugees, indigenous peoples, immigrants, the various races,creeds, and peoples who make this land of ours the diverse quilt that is like the world in a country. 

God I am grateful for the many landscapes that show us your Cathedral of Life in all of its rich hues and terrains. 

God I am grateful that we aren't perfect so that we may strive to work out all the rough edges together.

God I am grateful to be able to petition, picket, sit-in, sit-down, stand up, speak up, hunger and thirst after righteousness and let justice roll down even if it is my own voice crying in the wilderness.

God I am grateful for all of the men and women who have been prophets and peacemakers in ages past and those yet to be who are willing to valiantly stand up to make this the country you are calling us into being. 

God I am grateful to stand with my LGBTQ family members as an open and out person willing to live authentically without being held in a closet of shame.

God I am grateful that I get to see you in every face that I meet each and every day.

God I am grateful and I add these prayers in silence__________________

God I am grateful for the rights afforded me as contained in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. 

God I am grateful that even when there are dark days ahead we may with your guidance O lord carry the torches of liberty , justice, mercy , and peace. 

God I am grateful that I live in this country that was conceived in liberty by civil disobedience and non-violent protest.

God I am grateful for all those who either in the military or civilian populations have given their last full measure of devotion in service to this country here and all over the world.

God I am grateful for all the protesters who seek to affect positive and life giving change in this country and the world. 

God I am grateful to you. Amen.


All Good Gifts Godspell

What are in your gratitude and prayer list?


We pray these words of  St. Francis:

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

God help us to commit to each other every day to be mindful that everyone matters.

God help us we pray to commit our lives to the care of all of our family members nearby and far away.

God help us we pray to commit our Love Energy and Heat Homes to making peace on our streets and through out the world.

God help us we pray to commit  our care muscles in the care of all our family members and especially the least of these and our many family members who are ill in body, mind, and spirit.

God help us we pray to commit our compassion muscles in lovingly supporting our family members who are grieving and having life struggles.

God help us we pray to commit our energy to be good conservationists of your Cathedral of Life.

God help us we pray to commit ourselves to the fight of injustice, being a voice for the voiceless, and speaking truth to power and letting justice roll down.

God help us we pray to commit ourselves to the inclusion of all human beings into our lives and be fully accepting of them as our brothers and sisters. 

God help us we pray to commit our energies in the service of all our family members who are in trouble, danger, escaping tyranny and unsafe nations. 

God help us we pray to commit ourselves to protecting all who labor in factory, farm, and everywhere. 

God we commit ourselves to you.
 
God we commit to being Loving towards you, our family members, and ourselves.

God we commit to walk the walk and talk the talk without fear and reservation.
God we commit to speak lovingly towards each other with dignity and respect.

God we commit to get to know our family members from other faith communities as our brothers and sisters.

God we commit to the affirmation that All Lives Matter and All means All and not Some.  

God we commit to enter into daily silence and go deeper to the center to be in communion, conversation, and listening with you and hear with our heart homes and with the necessary Love  Energy you Give us.

God we add our additional prayers and thanksgivings now remembering especially__________

Accept these our prayers in name of Jesus the Christ. Amen.


Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

++++++

Good Night Dear Ones! Have a blessed and restful night! I love you and give thanks to God for you this night and always!

Love, peace, joy, and hope,

Sara


Resources:

Enriching Our Worship 1
Book of Common Prayer
Lectionary Page 
Forward Movement -The Calendar : David Pendleton Oakerhater
The Northumbria Community
A to Z Quotes for pondering quotes.
Walk With Me On Our Journey
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment