Sunday, September 16, 2018

Our final meditation of Holy Cross Weekend for 2018! More words to consider!












Good Evening Dear Ones!

Happy Sunday and our final day of Holy Cross Weekend. Yesterday I wrote out what certain words mean and mean to me. Today I continued on with the list. Lots to ponder and a whole lot of scriptural readings to do. That being said, let us begin! 


Here are what yesterday's  words meant to me.

Cross - The cross is our Rucksack we carry as we follow Jesus.

Lock -The lock needs to be broken so that we may be set free from bondage.

Chains- Need to be broken so that we may feel the freedom that God has given us as we follow Jesus along the sacred path way.

Prison- We need to free ourselves from the prison(s) that keep us from being the change God wants us to see in the world. Our self made prisons bind us from being our authentic selves and keep us from serving God and our neighbor.

Keys- unlock the Kindom of God, love, peace, joy, hope, and free people from injustice.


Doors- Open to us ways of freedom and close when we need to leave toxic places behind. Doors also allow us to enter sanctuaries made by Jesus and and open our heart homes. 

Red Doors alert us that there is freedom and sanctuary inside this holy place.

Pathways help us to move freely in the world with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

Camino - a Pilgrimage road that carries us throughout our lives if we securely tie our boots and walk a long journey.

Route - Routes free us from having to guess where we are going. Jesus is our North Star and road map.

Pilgrimage- setting our hearts, minds, spirits, and  feet upon holy ground going to holy places. They can be at home and may be around the world.


Circle - A symbol of never ending love and unity. A place where we are all equal and know that it is a place of healing and family.

Today's words and what they mean to me are here. 



Paradigm Shift -Being a follower of Jesus requires each of us to continually join in a paradigm shift where we become free of dis-ease, inequality, injustice, and that Love is the way in all ways.

Freedom -is what Jesus and the Cross bring  to me.

Service -is our method by which we take up our crosses.


Bolt Cutters -are objects which break the bonds, chains, that bind us from old conventions, paradigms, and free us to be authentic and living our truths.


Salvation- is what Jesus gave us through his death on the cross.


Jesus - is my Brother, Savior,Master, Friend, Lord, Pilgrimage leader, GPS in my life. The living water, word, and stone.


Stones- are our holy objects that we cast into a pool of water that remind us that we are to be ripples into the world.


The Traditional Pilgrims Prayer at the Cruz de Ferro ‘Lord, may this stone, a symbol of my efforts on the pilgrimage that I lay at the foot of the cross, weigh the balance in favour of my good deeds some day when the deeds of my life are judged. let it be so.’

Trees - Not only create oxygen, shade, and beauty, but, one tree I have in mind united us to  and with Jesus and gave us the means by which we received salvation. This was the beginning of a special family tree.

Candles - Help us to see in dark places and we must be the candles of Jesus to all of our family members.


Light -Frees us from the dark places and lifts us up out of the heaviness in our lives.


Vigil- Is our time together, as w make a conscientious effort to be united in prayer and purpose.



Ponderings!

"Dare to declare who you are. It is not far from the shores of silence to the boundaries of speech. The path is not long, but the way is deep. You must not only walk there, you must be prepared to leap." ~ Hildegard of Bingen

"The mystery of God hugs you in its all-encompassing arms." ~ Hildegard of Bingen


"Holy Spirit, the life that gives life: You are the cause of all movement. You are the breath of all creatures. You are the salve that purifies our souls. You are the ointment that heals our wounds. You are the fire that warms our hearts. You are the light that guides our feet. Let all the world praise you." ~ Hildegard of Bingen


"Just as a circle embraces all that is within it, so does the God-head embrace all. No one has the power to divide this circle, to surpass it, or to limit it." ~ Hildegard of Bingen

"O Eternal God, now may it please you to burn in love so that we become the limbs fashioned in the love you felt when you begot your Son at the first dawn before all creation. And consider this need which falls upon us, take it from us for the sake of your Son, and lead us to the joy of your salvation." ~ Hildegard of Bingen


"I welcome all creatures of the world with grace." ~ Hildegard of Bingen

"A person who lacks the verdancy of justice is dry, totally without tender goodness, totally without illuminating virtue." ~ Hildegard of Bingen


Tonight since there are quite a lot of readings, we won't be using canticles in our worship. 


Christ in our coming, and in our leaving
the Door and the Keeper, for us and our dear ones,
this day and every day blessing for always. Amen

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think that I am following Your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please You
does in fact please You.
And I hope that I have that desire
in all that I am doing.

And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road
although I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust You always,
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death,
I will not fear, for You are ever with me,
and will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton

Whichever way we turn, O God, there is Your face
in the light of the moon and patterns of stars,
in sacred mountain rifts and ancient groves,
in mighty seas and creatures of the deep.

Whichever way we turn, O God, there is Your face
in the light of eyes we love,
in the salt of tears we have tasted,
in weathered countenances east and west,
in the soft skin glow of the child everywhere.
Whichever way we turn, O God, there is Your face,
there is Your face
among us.

John Philip Newell

Confession of Need (Enriching Our Worship 2)

Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Minister and People

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.


Minister
May the God of love visit you/us in y/our times of trial and weakness,
and raise you/us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

A Smudging Prayer
Creator,
our Father in heaven,
we come to you as your children.
We confess that we are weak and broken images of you.
We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ.
May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies.
We pray that your Holy Spirit
 will help us to worship in spirit and truth.
We pray in the name of Jesus,
so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you.
Amen.



Image result for Native American Smudging Ritual


IN LAK’ECH
Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
By Luis Valdez
Let us gather in the circle of love and spend time in silence looking at each other and seeing God in each of us. Imagine that we are together in peaceful silence with love in our hearts and in the stillness of God's abiding presence getting ready to be at prayer and light our candles and pray for our all of  family members who are living with challenges and dangers of any kind, any where. 




Let us light our candles, turn on our porch lights, and pray and make loving vigil for all who are in harms way. 
Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


Matthew 5:1-12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

The Beatitudes
5 When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but citizens together
with the saints and members of the household of God.
Ephesians 2:19

God is Spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and
in truth. John 4:24

What God may hereafter require of you,
you must not give yourself the least trouble about.
Everything He gives you to do,
you must do as well as ever you can.
That is the best possible preparation
for what He may want you to do next.
If people would but do what they have to do,
they would always find themselves ready for what came next.
George MacDonald



19 Cœli enarrant

1 The heavens declare the glory of God, *
and the firmament shows his handiwork.

2 One day tells its tale to another, *
and one night imparts knowledge to another.

3 Although they have no words or language, *
and their voices are not heard,

4 Their sound has gone out into all lands, *
and their message to the ends of the world.

5 In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun; *
it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
it rejoices like a champion to run its course.

6 It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
and runs about to the end of it again; *
nothing is hidden from its burning heat.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect
and revives the soul; *
the testimony of the Lord is sure
and gives wisdom to the innocent.

8 The statutes of the Lord are just
and rejoice the heart; *
the commandment of the Lord is clear
and gives light to the eyes.

9 The fear of the Lord is clean
and endures for ever; *
the judgments of the Lord are true
and righteous altogether.

10 More to be desired are they than gold,
more than much fine gold, *
sweeter far than honey,
than honey in the comb.

11 By them also is your servant enlightened, *
and in keeping them there is great reward.

12 Who can tell how often he offends? *
cleanse me from my secret faults.

13 Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
let them not get dominion over me; *
then shall I be whole and sound,
and innocent of a great offense.

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, *
O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.


Wisdom 7:26-8:1


26 For she is a reflection of eternal light,
a spotless mirror of the working of God,
and an image of his goodness. 
27 Although she is but one, she can do all things,
and while remaining in herself, she renews all things;
in every generation she passes into holy souls
and makes them friends of God, and prophets; 
28 for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom. 
29 She is more beautiful than the sun,
and excels every constellation of the stars.
Compared with the light she is found to be superior, 
30 for it is succeeded by the night,
but against wisdom evil does not prevail.
8She reaches mightily from one end of the earth to the other,
and she orders all things well.


Proverbs 1:20-33


20 Wisdom cries out in the street;
   in the squares she raises her voice. 
21 At the busiest corner she cries out;
   at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: 
22 ‘How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?
How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing
   and fools hate knowledge? 
23 Give heed to my reproof;
I will pour out my thoughts to you;
   I will make my words known to you. 
24 Because I have called and you refused,
   have stretched out my hand and no one heeded, 
25 and because you have ignored all my counsel
   and would have none of my reproof, 
26 I also will laugh at your calamity;
   I will mock when panic strikes you, 
27 when panic strikes you like a storm,
   and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,
   when distress and anguish come upon you. 
28 Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer;
   they will seek me diligently, but will not find me. 
29 Because they hated knowledge
   and did not choose the fear of the Lord
30 would have none of my counsel,
   and despised all my reproof, 
31 therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way
   and be sated with their own devices. 
32 For waywardness kills the simple,
   and the complacency of fools destroys them; 
33 but those who listen to me will be secure
   and will live at ease, without dread of disaster.’ 


116 Dilexi, quoniam
1 I love the Lord, because he has heard the voice of
my supplication, *
because he has inclined his ear to me whenever
I called upon him.

2 The cords of death entangled me;
the grip of the grave took hold of me; *
I came to grief and sorrow.

3 Then I called upon the Name of the Lord: *
"O Lord, I pray you, save my life."

4 Gracious is the Lord and righteous; *
our God is full of compassion.

5 The Lord watches over the innocent; *
I was brought very low, and he helped me.

6 Turn again to your rest, O my soul. *
for the Lord has treated you well.

7 For you have rescued my life from death, *
my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling.

8 I will walk in the presence of the Lord *
in the land of the living.



Isaiah 50:4-9


4 The Lord God has given me
   the tongue of a teacher,*
that I may know how to sustain
   the weary with a word.
Morning by morning he wakens—
   wakens my ear
   to listen as those who are taught. 
5 The Lord God has opened my ear,
   and I was not rebellious,
   I did not turn backwards. 
6 I gave my back to those who struck me,
   and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard;
I did not hide my face
   from insult and spitting. 

7 The Lord God helps me;
   therefore I have not been disgraced;
therefore I have set my face like flint,
   and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 
8   he who vindicates me is near.
Who will contend with me?
   Let us stand up together.
Who are my adversaries?
   Let them confront me. 
9 It is the Lord God who helps me;
   who will declare me guilty?
All of them will wear out like a garment;
   the moth will eat them up. 

James 3:1-12

3Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters,*for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.2For all of us make many mistakes. Anyone who makes no mistakes in speaking is perfect, able to keep the whole body in check with a bridle.3If we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we guide their whole bodies. 4Or look at ships: though they are so large that it takes strong winds to drive them, yet they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great exploits.
How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire! 6And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is placed among our members as a world of iniquity; it stains the whole body, sets on fire the cycle of nature,* and is itself set on fire by hell.* 7For every species of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by the human species, 8but no one can tame the tongue—a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God. 10From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers and sisters,* this ought not to be so. 11Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and brackish water? 12Can a fig tree, my brothers and sisters,* yield olives, or a grapevine figs? No more can salt water yield fresh.

Mark 8:27-38

27 Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, ‘Who do people say that I am?’ 28And they answered him, ‘John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.’ 29He asked them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Peter answered him, ‘You are the Messiah.’* 30And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him.
31 Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. 32He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, ‘Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.’

34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel,* will save it. 36For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38Those who are ashamed of me and of my words* in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.’

Today's Collects

BCP-
O God, because without you we are not able to please you,
mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit may in all things direct
and rule our hearts; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and
for ever. Amen.


A New Zealand Prayer Book

Eternal God,
light of the minds that know you,
joy of the hearts that love you,
strength of the wills that serve you;
grant us so to know you that we may truly love you,
and so to love you that we may gladly serve you,
now and always.
We pray you, Jesus, take the old water,
our busy, conscientious lives,
and turn them into gospel wine,
that everyone may see your life 
and thirst.
Merciful God,
you have prepared for those who love you
such good things as pass our understanding;
pour into our hearts such love towards you
that, loving you above all else,
we may obtain your promises,
which exceed all that we can desire;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Church of England

 O Lord, we beseech you mercifully to hear the prayers of your people who call upon you; and grant that they may both perceive and know what things they ought to do, and also may have grace and power faithfully to fulfil them; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Jesus said, ‘When I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all people to myself.’ John 12:32

A Prayer of Awareness
Hildegard of Bingen

God is the foundation for everything 
This God undertakes, God gives. 
Such that nothing that is necessary for life is lacking. 
Now humankind needs a body that at all times honors and praises God. 
This body is supported in every way through the earth. 
Thus the earth glorifies the power of God.

 Call to Prayer
Hildegard of Bingen

The earth is at the same time mother, 
She is mother of all that is natural, mother of all that is human. 
She is the mother of all, for contained in her are the seeds of all. 
The earth of humankind contains all moistness, all verdancy, all germinating power. 
It is in so many ways fruitful. 
All creation comes from it. Yet it forms not only the basic raw material for humankind, but also the substance of the incarnation of God's son.

Loving God,, we pray for all who are affected by severe weather all throughout the world and in our country.

Loving God, we pray for rain and an end to the drought parched areas of this world and that the weather may cool down enough to contain the many wildfires.

Loving God, we pray for all who minister to mothers and children that they may have great energy and love for what they do.

Loving God, we pray for all who are feeling isolated , alone, and invisible.

Loving God we pray that we may allow your light, love, compassion, and inclusion flow through us.

Loving God, we pray for all who are transitioning from life on into the Thin Places. May they have a safe, easy, and wonderful journey to you. We pray for all who are keeping watch over their loved ones in transition enfold them as you are enfolding their loved ones who are transitioning with love, kindness, and peace.

Loving God, we pray for all conditions  that keeps us from loving and serving you fully, We pray for an end to all that divides and harms us. May we all be one family under You.

Loving God, Healing and Redeeming Jesus, and Empowering and Gracious Spirit, we offer our prayers, thanksgivings,celebrations, and remembrances and especially those who have asked us to pray on their behalf. We lift them up to You Lord Jesus. Amen


Tonight we light our single candle in loving memory and in conscious knowledge of all the marginalized. We pray for the living and the departed ones whose names we do not know but you know O, God Amen.

Diversity is what makes unity possible, especially with love in our hearts! #RespectTheDignityOfEveryHumanBeing!

Christ has no Body
Christ has no body but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours, Yours are the eyes with which he looks. Compassion on this world, Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good, Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world. - Teresa of Avila

Let us pray the Alternative form of the Lord's Prayer as found in the New Zealand Prayer Book
Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.
May the God of peace, who brought again from the dead our
Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of
the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you 
may do his will, working in you that which is pleasing in his 
sight; through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and
ever.    Hebrews 13:20-21


Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or
weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who
sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless 
the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the 
joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

The Song of Simeon Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)
This office of Compline may be added.

The Ita Compline - Northumbria Community

Ita, who died in about 570, was abbess of a women’s community in Killeedy, County Limerick in Ireland. She ran a school for boys where she taught:

Faith in God with purity of heart; simplicity of life with religion; generosity with love.



Among those schooled by Ita was Brendan, who honoured her as his foster-mother and adviser. The Compline that follows is named after her because of its emphasis on examination of the heart, and the prayers of care and protection for each soul who crosses our path.

+ (silently)

The Sacred Three
to save
to shield
to surround
the hearth
the home
this night
and every night.

* Search me, O God, and know my heart.
Test me and know my thoughts.

* See if there is any wicked way in me
and lead me in the way everlasting.

O Father, O Son, O Holy Spirit,
forgive me my sins.
O only-begotten Son of the heavenly Father,
forgive.
O God who is one,
O God who is true,
O God who is first,
O God who is one substance,
O God only mighty,
in three Persons, truly merciful,
forgive.

* O God of life, this night,
O darken not to me Thy light.

* O God of life, this night,
close not Thy gladness to my sight.

* Keep Your people, Lord,
in the arms of Your embrace.
Shelter them under Your wings.

* Be their light in darkness.
Be their hope in distress.
Be their calm in anxiety.

* Be strength in their weakness.

* Be their comfort in pain.

* Be their song in the night.

In peace will I lie down, for it is You, O Lord,
You alone who makes me to rest secure.

* Be it on Your own beloved arm,
O God of grace, that I in peace shall awake.

Be the peace of the Spirit
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Son
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Father
mine this night.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

+++++

Good Night All! I love you ! Tomorrow we put this weekend's meditation time into practice. Have a rest-filled night. Regain your strength and get ready to take up your crosses tomorrow. 


Blessings, peace, love, and courage!

Sara




Looking for extra meditation time? Here are the collect, lessons, and bio for St. Ninian of Galloway:

O God, who by the preaching of your blessed servant and bishop Ninian caused the light of the Gospel to shine in the land of Britain: Grant, we pray, that, having his life and labors in remembrance, we may show our thankfulness by following the example of his zeal and patience; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.  
  
97 Dominus regnavit

1 The Lord is King;
let the earth rejoice; *
let the multitude of the isles be glad.

2 Clouds and darkness are round about him, *
righteousness and justice are the foundations of his throne.
3 A fire goes before him *
and burns up his enemies on every side.

4 His lightnings light up the world; *
the earth sees it and is afraid.

5 The mountains melt like wax at the presence of the Lord, *
at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.

6 The heavens declare his righteousness, *
and all the peoples see his glory.

7 Confounded be all who worship carved images
and delight in false gods! *
Bow down before him, all you gods.

8 Zion hears and is glad, and the cities of Judah rejoice, *
because of your judgments, O Lord.

9 For you are the Lord,
most high over all the earth; *
you are exalted far above all gods.

10 The Lord loves those who hate evil; *
he preserves the lives of his saints
and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.

11 Light has sprung up for the righteous, *
and joyful gladness for those who are truehearted.

12 Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous, *
and give thanks to his holy Name.

Isaiah 49:1-6

49Listen to me, O coastlands,
   pay attention, you peoples from far away!
The Lord called me before I was born,
   while I was in my mother’s womb he named me. 
2 He made my mouth like a sharp sword,
   in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
he made me a polished arrow,
   in his quiver he hid me away. 
3 And he said to me, ‘You are my servant,
   Israel, in whom I will be glorified.’ 
4 But I said, ‘I have laboured in vain,
   I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity;
yet surely my cause is with the Lord,
   and my reward with my God.’ 


5 And now the Lord says,
   who formed me in the womb to be his servant,
to bring Jacob back to him,
   and that Israel might be gathered to him,
for I am honoured in the sight of the Lord,
   and my God has become my strength— 
6 he says,
‘It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
   to raise up the tribes of Jacob
   and to restore the survivors of Israel;
I will give you as a light to the nations,
   that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.’ 

Acts 10:21-35

21So Peter went down to the men and said, ‘I am the one you are looking for; what is the reason for your coming?’ 22They answered, ‘Cornelius, a centurion, an upright and God-fearing man, who is well spoken of by the whole Jewish nation, was directed by a holy angel to send for you to come to his house and to hear what you have to say.’ 23So Peter* invited them in and gave them lodging.

The next day he got up and went with them, and some of the believers* from Joppa accompanied him. 24The following day they came to Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25On Peter’s arrival Cornelius met him, and falling at his feet, worshipped him. 26But Peter made him get up, saying, ‘Stand up; I am only a mortal.’ 27And as he talked with him, he went in and found that many had assembled; 28and he said to them, ‘You yourselves know that it is unlawful for a Jew to associate with or to visit a Gentile; but God has shown me that I should not call anyone profane or unclean. 29So when I was sent for, I came without objection. Now may I ask why you sent for me?’

30 Cornelius replied, ‘Four days ago at this very hour, at three o’clock, I was praying in my house when suddenly a man in dazzling clothes stood before me. 31He said, “Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God. 32Send therefore to Joppa and ask for Simon, who is called Peter; he is staying in the home of Simon, a tanner, by the sea.” 33Therefore I sent for you immediately, and you have been kind enough to come. So now all of us are here in the presence of God to listen to all that the Lord has commanded you to say.’
34 Then Peter began to speak to them: ‘I truly understand that God shows no partiality, 35but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

Matthew 28:16-20

16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’*

Biography of Ninian of Galloway





Resources:
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Satucket Lectionary Page for today's readings
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
New Zealand Prayer Book
Quote sites for The Beatitudes and Christ Has No Body

No comments:

Post a Comment