Tuesday, December 11, 2018

#AdventWords2018 #HashTagsWithMeaning - #Go or is it #Grow?-Day 27 of Celtic Advent: 40 days of action and expectation!





Good Evening Family!

Happy Take Care Tuesday! I hope everyone is doing just that! For some reason we have not one but two #HashTagsWithMeaning today for our #AdventWords, #Go and #Grow! Let's do a journalling exercise and write down a series of declarative sentences with these two words if you are able. Let us then take time to ponder them. Here are a few quotes to ponder then we will enter our time of meditation, prayer, and worship. 

"Growth begins when we start to accept our own weakness" ~ Jean Vanier

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

Joshua 1:9


"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

Matthew 28:19-20
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."


"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." ~ e. e. cummings

Matthew 8:4

And Jesus said to him, "See that you tell no one; but go, show yourself to the priest and present the offering that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."

"Growth demands a temporary surrender of security." ~ Gail Sheehy

"The path of spiritual growth is a path of lifelong learning." ~ M. Scott Peck

"Joy is hidden in sorrow and sorrow in joy. If we try to avoid sorrow at all costs, we may never taste joy, and if we are suspicious of ecstasy, agony can never reach us either. Joy and sorrow are the parents of our spiritual growth." ~ Henri Nouwen

"All spiritual growth comes from reading and reflection. By reading we learn what we did not know; by reflection we retain what we have learned. The conscientious reader will be more concerned to carry out what he has read than merely to acquire knowledge of it. In reading we aim at knowing, but we must put into practice what we have learned in our course of study." ~ Isidore of Seville

"Although others may feel sorry for you, never feel sorry for yourself: it has a deadly effect on spiritual well-being.  Recognize all problems, no matter how difficult, as opportunities for spiritual growth, and make the most of these opportunities." ~ Peace Pilgrim



Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for thse who abuse you. Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return; for God is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. 
Be merciful as your father is merciful. Judge not and you will not be judged. Condemn not and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. 
Give and it will be given to you; for the measure you give will be the measure you receive. From Luke 6:27-38


Let us spend time in reviewing our #AdventWords for the previous week and today!

We must #Cry out against hatred.
We must #Cry out against injustice.
We must #Cry out against all isms and obias that seek only to divide.
We must #Cry out against violence and abuse.
We must #Cry! We must take action! We must work together with each other and with God.
We must be #Alert to what God is calling us to do and to be!
We must continue to #Focus on being the change in this fragile and broken world.
We must  put down Heart Roots that #Sprout and grow and live our lives in the fruits of the spirit.
We must take time to stand #Watch and be ready to practice radical love and hospitality at all times.
We must lay down our busyness during the hours of #Night and spend time in the presence of God.
We must shine the #Light of God to each other and throughout the world by serving and loving our family members.
We must go into the #Wild to seek God and hear God's voice #Crying, Prepare the way of the Lord!"
We must be on a daily #Journey with Jesus and follow him on the way and spreading the God News and Love for all!



God calls us to go and be the change makers!
God is calling us to grow daily into God's image and likeness.
God calls us to go and make disciples of all nations!
God tells us that even in fallow seasons there is grow.
God is always calling us to grow into spiritually mature beings.
God tells us daily to let go and let God.
Go and Grow are God's commands for us in this time of confusion and brokenness. 

From The Northumbria Community.
This week’s Rule reflection
HOSPITALITY is an important aspect of monastic spirituality for ‘to love the invisible God one must love the visible neighbour’

You Lord are in the midst of us, and we are called by your name. Leave us not.Jeremiah 14:9


Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height and look toward the
east, and see your children gathered from west and east at the
word of the Holy One. Baruch 5:5

Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the skies rain down
righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation may spring up,
and let it cause righteousness to sprout up also. Isaiah 45:8, NRSV



Confession of Need


Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.


May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.



Now let us Light Our Candles and be at prayer.A Prayer When Lighting A Candle

O Blessed Lord, accept this burning candle as a sign of my faith and love for you.
Like this candle, I am ready to be used in your service, without asking why and to what purpose.
Even as this candle, I wish to stand in your presence to be consumed in the light and warmth of
your love.
Please hear my prayer and, if it be your will, grant my petition.
Above all, make me loyal and faithful to you in all circumstances of my life.
Amen.

(www.stanthonysparish.com)



The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!" 
I hold holy space for you during this time of prayer, vigil, and meditation.

Light of the World Phos hilaron


Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.
+++

Prayer Over The Advent Candle

O God, as light comes from this candle,
May the blessing of Jesus Christ come to us,
Warming our hearts and brightening our way.
May Christ our Savior
Bring life into the darkness of this world,
And to us, as we wait for his coming.
Amen.

(www.catholicnewsagency.com)



 Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


See the source image


God and Creator of us all we pray and light our candles this night at a time where we are finding ourselves sorely divided one from another by a myriad of circumstances. We pray that we may start to learn from each other and place our egos and the need to be right at the door. We pray that we may use gentle speech and kind actions when we meet someone who differs from us. We pray that we may lovingly enfold them in our arms and extend to them radical hospitality and welcome. We pray that we may continually beat the weaponry of hate into ploughshares and turn the spears of division into pruning hooks and that we may grow into a peace-filled and loving world. We pray this night for all who are enduring any kind of pain that they may be comforted and that we may lovingly respond to their needs. We pray and ask this night for forgiveness of any action or word we have done or spoken this day and that we may turn away and repent of the wrongs we have done. We pray that we may spread God's light of love, peace, and learning to this world and that we may be beacons of hope, joy, love, and peace. We pray that we may follow Jesus and imitate him by being CALM (Compassionate, Accepting, Loving, and Merciful) and show the world that we are carried aloft by the Holy Spirit's Love Energy and that our Hearts and heart homes may be enlarged and that truly we may become one family of God and Love and brothers and sisters one to another. Amen.


Image result for vigil candles





36 Dixit injustus

1 There is a voice of rebellion deep in the heart of the wicked; *
there is no fear of God before his eyes.

2 He flatters himself in his own eyes *
that his hateful sin will not be found out.

3 The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful; *
he has left off acting wisely and doing good.

4 He thinks up wickedness upon his bed
and has set himself in no good way; *
he does not abhor that which is evil.
 

5 Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, *
and your faithfulness to the clouds.

6 Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
your justice like the great deep; *
you save both man and beast, O Lord.

7 How priceless is your love, O God! *
your people take refuge under the
shadow of your wings.

8 They feast upon the abundance of your house; *
you give them drink from the river of your delights.

9 For with you is the well of life, *
and in your light we see light.

10 Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you, *
and your favor to those who are true of heart.

11 Let not the foot of the proud come near me, *
nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.

12 See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness! *
they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.


39 Dixi, Custodiam

1 I said, "I will keep watch upon my ways, *
so that I do not offend with my tongue.

2 I will put a muzzle on my mouth *
while the wicked are in my presence."

3 So I held my tongue and said nothing; *
I refrained from rash words;
but my pain became unbearable.

4 My heart was hot within me;
while I pondered, the fire burst into flame; *
I spoke out with my tongue:

5 Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days, *
so that I may know how short my life is.

6 You have given me a mere handful of days,
and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight; *
truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.

7 We walk about like a shadow,
and in vain we are in turmoil; *
we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.

8 And now, what is my hope? *
O Lord, my hope is in you.

9 Deliver me from all my transgressions *
and do not make me the taunt of the fool.

10 I fell silent and did not open my mouth, *
for surely it was you that did it.

11 Take your affliction from me; *
I am worn down by the blows of your hand.

12 With rebukes for sin you punish us;
like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us; *
truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.

13 Hear my prayer, O Lord,
and give ear to my cry; *
hold not your peace at my tears.

14 For I am but a sojourner with you, *
a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.

15 Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again, *
before I go my way and am no more.

Isaiah 5:13-17,24-25


13 Therefore my people go into exile without knowledge;
their nobles are dying of hunger,
   and their multitude is parched with thirst. 


14 Therefore Sheol has enlarged its appetite
   and opened its mouth beyond measure;
the nobility of Jerusalem* and her multitude go down,
   her throng and all who exult in her. 
15 People are bowed down, everyone is brought low,
   and the eyes of the haughty are humbled. 
16 But the Lord of hosts is exalted by justice,
   and the Holy God shows himself holy by righteousness. 
17 Then the lambs shall graze as in their pasture,
   fatlings and kids* shall feed among the ruins. 

Foreign Invasion Predicted


24 Therefore, as the tongue of fire devours the stubble,
   and as dry grass sinks down in the flame,
so their root will become rotten,
   and their blossom go up like dust;
for they have rejected the instruction of the Lord of hosts,
   and have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. 


25 Therefore the anger of the Lord was kindled against his people,
   and he stretched out his hand against them and struck them;
   the mountains quaked,
and their corpses were like refuse
   in the streets.
For all this his anger has not turned away,
   and his hand is stretched out still. 

The Song of Mary Magnificat

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

1 Thessalonians 5:12-28

Final Exhortations, Greetings, and Benediction

12 But we appeal to you, brothers and sisters,* to respect those who labour among you, and have charge of you in the Lord and admonish you; 13esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. 14And we urge you, beloved,* to admonish the idlers, encourage the faint-hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them. 15See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. 16Rejoice always, 17pray without ceasing, 18give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19Do not quench the Spirit. 20Do not despise the words of prophets,* 21but test everything; hold fast to what is good; 22abstain from every form of evil.

23 May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound* and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.

25 Beloved,* pray for us.

26 Greet all the brothers and sisters* with a holy kiss. 27I solemnly command you by the Lord that this letter be read to all of them.*


28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.*

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem
Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22

Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.

Luke 21:29-38

The Lesson of the Fig Tree

29 Then he told them a parable: ‘Look at the fig tree and all the trees; 30as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near. 31So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near. 32Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things have taken place. 33Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

Exhortation to Watch

34 ‘Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does not catch you unexpectedly, 35like a trap. For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth. 36Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.’


37 Every day he was teaching in the temple, and at night he would go out and spend the night on the Mount of Olives, as it was called. 38And all the people would get up early in the morning to listen to him in the temple. 

A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10

The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away

Second Sunday of Advent

Merciful God, who sent your messengers the prophets to
preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation:
Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins,
that we may greet with joy the coming of Jesus Christ our
Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy
Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen. (BCP)

Praise and honour to you, living God;
you chose the Hebrew people
and brought them step by step
to look for a redeemer, and hope for the Christ.
Give us grace to see our need
and recognise salvation when it comes. (ANZPB)

God of Israel old and new,
write in our hearts the lessons of your law;
prepare our minds to receive the gospel
made visible in your Son Jesus Christ. (ANZPB)

Living God, you called your people out of Egypt
and gave them the covenant;
prepare our hearts to hear your call,
so that we may receive with joy the gospel of your Son
and be your faithful people,
now and for ever.  (ANZPB)

Let us stay there together and imagine what it would be like to be truly united as the Family of God in Community.

Let us imagine relying upon one another without fear and reservation.

Let us imagine the richness each one of us brings to the world and to the table.

Let us imagine speaking gently with words that heal not to harm.

Let us imagine being able to look at one another and see God's face in everyone we meet. 

Let us imagine no longer having to be suspicious just because of the color of our skin, faith community, gender expression and sexual orientation, or where we come from.  

Let us imagine actually listening in holy dialog and finding common ground.

Let us imagine being in solidarity with one another when times get tough and we need to lean upon one another. 

Let us imagine and pray as we light this single candle of unity.that we are together as the Family of God in Community right here, right now, and in the holy presence of God and each other.

God we pray that we may build bridges by learning from each other, walking united in love and peace, and by letting go of our agendas that seek only to divide and harm. We pray that we may build bridges where we may at the beginning meet each other halfway and begin a holy dialogue seeking peace and understanding. We pray that we may build bridges based on unconditional love and acceptance and common ground. We pray that we may build bridges by seeing God in and through each other by acknowledging that God made us in God's image and likeness. We pray that we may build bridges by engaging in holy listening with our listening ears and hearts. We pray that we may build bridges together and tear down the walls that seek only to divide, harm, and cause us to be afraid and hate one another without cause. We pray that we may build bridges of Compassion, Acceptance, Love and Mercy beginning this night and always. Amen.

Give me a candle of the Spirit, O God, as I go down into the deeps of my being. Show me the hidden things, the creatures of my dreams, the storehouse of forgotten memories and hurts. Take me down to the spring of my life, and tell me my nature and my name. Give me freedom to grow, so that I may become that self, the seed of which You planted in me at my making.

Out of the depths I cry to You…

George Appleton

From A New Zealand Prayer Book-

Lord, 
it is night.

The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.

The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen.



The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
Or
Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.

Prayer of St. Teresa of Avila


Lord,
Thou knowest better than I myself
that I am growing older and will someday be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking
I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to
straighten out everybody’s affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody;
helpful but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom,
it seems a pity not to use it all;
but Thou knowest, Lord,
that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details;
give me wings to get to the point.
Seal my lips on my aches and pains;
they are increasing, and love of rehearsing them
is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare not ask for improved memory,
but for a growing humility and a lessening cock-sureness
when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet, for a sour old person
is one of the crowning works of the devil.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places
and talents in unexpected people;
and give, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.
Amen.
– – – prayer by St. Teresa of Avila

When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

For the Human Family
O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For the Poor and the Neglected
Almighty and most merciful God, we remember before you
all poor and neglected persons whom it would be easy for us
to forget: the homeless and the destitute, the old and the sick,
and all who have none to care for them. Help us to heal those
who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow
into joy. Grant this, Father, for the love of your Son, who for
our sake became poor, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For the Oppressed
Look with pity, O heavenly Father, upon the people in this
land who live with injustice, terror, disease, and death as
their constant companions. Have mercy upon us. Help us to
eliminate our cruelty to these our neighbors. Strengthen those
who spend their lives establishing equal protection of the law
and equal opportunities for all. And grant that every one of
us may enjoy a fair portion of the riches of this land; through
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


For those who Influence Public Opinion
Almighty God, you proclaim your truth in every age by many
voices: Direct, in our time, we pray, those who speak where
many listen and write what many read; that they may do their
part in making the heart of this people wise, its mind sound, and
its will righteous; to the honor of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

For the Care of Children
Almighty God, heavenly Father, you have blessed us with the
joy and care of children: Give us calm strength and patient
wisdom as we bring them up, that we may teach them to love
whatever is just and true and good, following the example of
our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

 For Young Persons
God our Father, you see your children growing up in an
unsteady and confusing world: Show them that your ways
give more life than the ways of the world, and that following
you is better than chasing after selfish goals. Help them to
take failure, not as a measure of their worth, but as a chance
for a new start. Give them strength to hold their faith in you,
and to keep alive their joy in your creation; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.


A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)
Christ Has No Body
Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion on this world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.


A Closing meditation on welcoming the stranger!

How do we welcome the Stranger?

What does this mean? '
This means that we make ourselves, hearts, and homes open and receptive.
This means we need to get past our past tapes and allow ourselves to be accepting and inclusive.
This means we take time to listen and give everyone the gift of presence. 
This means we spend a balanced time of Giving Thanks and Giving Thankfully.
This means we have a time where we spend time together. It doesn't have to cost money. 

 How do we do it? 
Take time to listen
Take time to be courteous
Smile
Be loving.
Be kind,
Be welcoming
Give of yourselves.
Give of your hearts.
Don''t be afraid to let them into your lives and hearts.
Open your homes, churches, shelters, and any place where hospitality happens.
Tell them that they matter
Show them God Loves them.
Reflect God's love, light, and image to them.
Give the gift of presence.
Pick up the phone and connect and reconnect with family members who are estranged and you haven't been in contact with.
Live our lives as God would have us do.

Are we let off the hook? 
A Big Resounding NO ! 

Why ?
Because God Said so in these 14 verses about welcoming the stranger:


The following list of bible verses comes from the New Revised Standard Version
  • Deuteronomy 10: 19 You shall also love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
  • Leviticus 19:34 The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
  • Matthew 5:43-44 You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy’. But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you.
  • Matthew 25:40 Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of my brethren you did it to me.
  • Romans 13:8 Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
  • Romans 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor, therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
  • Acts 10:34 Then Peter began to speak to them: “I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.
  • Revelation 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “See the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them as their God; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them.”
  • 3 John 1:5 Beloved, you do faithfully whatever you do for the friends, even though they are strangers to you; they have testified to your love before the church. You do well to send them on in a manner worthy of God; for they began their journey for the sake of Christ, accepting no support from non-believers. Therefore we ought to support such people, so that they may become co-workers with the truth.
  • Luke 10:27 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.
  • Hebrews 13: 1 Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.
  • Colossians 3:11 In that renewal there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all.
  • Matthew 25: 35 I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.
  • Romans 12:13 Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers.


God of Welcome, may we welcome the strangers and everyone in our midst.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome may we continually keep all of your children who are our family members whom we haven't met yet. Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome may we remember the refugee, immigrant, the lonely, the lost, the invisible who are seeking shelter and food.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome may we pray for all who are ill and if we are called to do so may we welcome them into our homes.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome, may we be stewards of your Cathedral of Life.
May we welcome  all living things in to our family of love.

God of Welcome  may we not be afraid to be family to all those who differ from us.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome we pray and welcome all those who have asked us for prayers and help into our hearts as we lift up their concerns to you.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome, May we be peacemakers and be welcome as your children.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of  Welcome, we pray for all of our family members who are grieving losses of any kind.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome we pray for all who are transitioning and have died today. 
Welcome them with loving joy and warmth into the Thin Places. 

God of Welcome help us to be beacons of hope and the light of the world to everyone including our enemies and those with whom we differ.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

God of Welcome we pray for all faith communities, leaders, and people, help us to find commonality and where we are united.
Welcome them into our hearts, lives, and family. 

Jesus welcome these our prayers in your name. For you welcomed us into your family by your birth, death, resurrection, and ascension. Amen.

In your presence O God, we come together as one family of love. Give us courage to lay down the weaponry of hate and find common ground.

In your presence O God, take all the gunk in our lives that prevent us from truly serving you and the least of these.

In your presence O God, give us courage to discern where you are sending us and help us to respond accordingly with "Here I am send me"!

In your presence  O God, make us truly the Beloved Community intent upon serving you and our family members with CALM (Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy) 

In your presence O God, help us to stand fast and ready to speak truth to power and seek out ways to be the change you want to see in the world.

In your presence O God, may we feel and know your love for us so that we may serve others. 

In your presence O God, we offer these our prayers________________________________

In your presence O God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of your only begotten Son Jesus. Amen.


We close our vigil with these prayers:

The Woke Prayers of St. Francis
Help us O God to be woke!
Woke as your peacemakers, change makers, heart changers, and love energy bringers!
Woke to the hatred so that we may sow seeds of love.
Woke to the injury so that we may heal the hurt and cease the harm.
Woke to the divisiveness that we may be eager to heal and unite as one neighborhood and family.
Woke to uncertainty that will lead us to be renewed in faith.
Woke to the despair of all our neighbors so that we may sow seeds of radical hope, love, hospitality, and inclusion.
Woke to the knowledge that we are God's beloved children. Help us to be woke to sing the words of  "Light One Candle"
LIGHT ONE CANDLE
Peter Yarrow
Light one candle for the Maccabee children
With thanks that their light didn't die
Light one candle for the pain they endured
When their right to exist was denied
Light one candle for the terrible sacrifice
Justice and freedom demand
But light one candle for the wisdom to know
When the peacemaker's time is at hand

chorus:
Don't let the light go out!
It's lasted for so many years!
Don't let the light go out!
Let it shine through our love and our tears.

Light one candle for the strength that we need
To never become our own foe
And light one candle for those who are suffering
Pain we learned so long ago
Light one candle for all we believe in
That anger not tear us apart
And light one candle to bind us together
With peace as the song in our hearts

(chorus)

What is the memory that's valued so highly
That we keep it alive in that flame?
What's the commitment to those who have died
That we cry out they've not died in vain?
We have come this far always believing
That justice would somehow prevail
This is the burden, this is the promise
This is why we will not fail!

(chorus)

Don't let the light go out!
Don't let the light go out!
Don't let the light go out!


Help us to be woke enough not to think of ourselves being the comforted, help us be the comforters and wounded healers.

Help not to be know it alls and be woke to understand what is plaguing our inner beings, neighbors, neighborhoods, the least of these, our family members.

God wake us up to be Woke to your agape love so that we may love everything that you have made. Wake us to be Woke to Radical Love, Hospitality, and inclusion.

Help us to know that being truly woke means being open to radical and random acts of kindness and giving. Where the giver is given and receives much by acts of giving.

Help us to be woke enough to forgive and then find ourselves being actually forgiven 
God Wake us Up to Be Woke to know that death isn't the end but only the beginning of a new birth in your heavenly Kindom. Amen and let it be so!

Respond to these petitions with: May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort be with us this night as we pray for peace in this world and that we may live into our baptismal covenant with you and each other.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God  of all comfort may we seek as one family with you to find solutions that will stem the tide of all violence and terror.

May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort may we seek with you to find our true calling and life path.

May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort give us strength to speak out firmly and lovingly for those who haven't any voice.

May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort give us all a return to common sense. Take away from us all temptation to fall into a mob and hate mentality.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort we pray for all who are ill and in need of healing of their bodies, minds, and spirits.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort may we be sources of comfort  one to another and listen to you with our heart homes for those who are in need of help and may not be able to name their needs.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort may we ever be mindful of our family members who are grieving losses and pre- grieving. 

May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort we pray for all who have been senselessly murdered for who they are. Grant to them eternal rest.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort may all of us who struggle to live authentically without fear be able to speak and live our truth valiantly and with courage.

 May we all be one and comfort one another with love, kindness and gentleness God hear our prayers!

God of all comfort we pray and give thanks for_________________________
We lift up these our prayers in the Holy name of Jesus!  Amen. 


Let us Sow Seeds of:

C= Compassion
A= Acceptance
L= Love
M = Mercy

Let us speak in words that are:

C= Comforting
A= Appreciative
L= Living and Loving
M= Mindful and Matter

Let our deeds be:
C= Caring and Compassionate
A= Admirable
L=  Life giving
M= Mannerly
Let us choose to live a life of Compassion, Acceptance, Love, and Mercy. Let choose to speak in words that are courageous, amiable, enLightening, Mannered, and Make sense and don't harm or divide. Let our deeds be all these things.

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely
more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to him from
generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus
for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20, 21



To God the Creator, 
who loved us first and gave this world to be our home,
to God the Redeemer,
who loves us and by dying and rising 
pioneered the way of freedom, 
to God the Sanctifier, 
who spreads the divine love in our hearts, 
be praise and glory for time and for eternity.



Tuesday – The Cuthbert Compline


Cuthbert, a shepherd lad looking after his flock on the Lammermuir hills, had an angelic vision coinciding with the death of Aidan which convinced him that he was meant to follow Christ as surely as the beloved founder of Lindisfarne Abbey. He became a monk at Melrose Abbey, under the guidance of Boisil. Cuthbert later succeeded him as Prior. Later in his life Cuthbert became a dearly-loved bishop at Lindisfarne, from where, until his death in 687, he loved to retreat in solitude to pray and fast on the Farne Islands.
If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.

+ (silently)

* I will lie down and sleep in peace
for You alone, Lord,
make me dwell in safety.

O God, and Spirit, and Jesu, the Three,
from the crown of my head, O Trinity,
to the soles of my feet mine offering be.
Come I unto Thee, O Jesu, my King –
O Jesu, do Thou be my sheltering.

My dear ones, O God, bless Thou and keep,
in every place where they are.

* Whoever has chosen to make
the shelter of the Most High their dwelling place
will stay in His over-shadowing.

* He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
He is my God, and I am trusting Him.

* He will rescue you from the traps laid for your feet,
and save you from the destroying curse.

* His faithful promises are your armour.
You need no longer be afraid of any terror by night,
or the death-arrow that flies by day.

* The Lord Himself is your refuge;
you have made the Most High your stronghold.

* Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
for You are my crag and my stronghold.

* How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake, I am still with You.

I will not lie down tonight with sin,
nor shall sin
nor sin’s shadow
lie down with me.

O God of life, this night,
O darken not to me Thy light.
O God of life, this night,
close not Thy gladness to my sight.
O God of life, this night,
Thy door to me, O shut not tight,
O God of life, this night.

* Be it on Thine own beloved arm,
O God of grace,
that I in peace shall waken.

* Jesu, Son of Mary!
my helper, my encircler.
Jesu, Son of David!
my strength everlasting.
Jesu, Son of Mary!
my helper, my encircler.

The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.


Restoration Song

God called forth a people, and we responded to His call
‘Rebuild this ancient ruin, restore my city walls.’
He has led us day by day, as we listened to His voice
and we were fed on finest wheat, and manna from the skies.

When we started, we were strangers. We hardly knew each other’s names.
Now we are brothers and sisters, and we will never be the same.

As we built, brick by brick, we discovered the corner stone,
and as we let Him mould and fashion us, He built us up in love.

Now we have seen, and we have heard, that the Lord our God is great.
For a wilderness has been transformed, into His holy place.

Gerry Tuohy


++++




Good Night Dear Ones! I love you! Here are today's action items from our Celtic Advent Calendar!
Today:Listen to and share some favourite music that makes you smile
Tomorrow:Enjoy grilled cheese and tomato soup or another favorite comfort dish.


Love and prayers, 

Sara

Resources

Satucket Lectionary Page- 
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
Quote sites for prayers
Northumbria Community
Metis Aboriginal Ministries
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Contemplative Cottage
Here is a helpful calendar that will lead us through the season: Celtic Advent Calendar 2018



Finnian of Clonard (?-549) December 12th

The abbot and founder of Clonard, where, reputedly, the ‘twelve apostles of Ireland’ were trained, was Finnian. He was the author of the earliest surviving Irish penitential manual. He founded monasteries at Rossacurra, Drumfea and Kilmaglush, and then went to Wales to study the monasticism of David (see March 1st), Cadoc  (see September 25th) and Gildas. Returning to Ireland, he founded monasteries at Aghowle, Magna Sulcain and finally Clonard. Here he was known as ‘the teacher of the saints of Ireland’. He died of the yellow plague. He should not be confused with his contemporary, Finnian of Moville.

I need to be about Your business, my Lord, but sometimes I don’t know what You expect me to do. How could those saints of old found all those monasteries and influence so many people for You? Show me what You have put into my hands, the gifts I may use for You just where I am. Show me the people who need me to love them for Your sake – and help me not to compare myself with anyone else; in Jesus’ name . Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment