Sunday, December 2, 2018

#AdventWords2018 #HashTagsWithMeaning - #Journey -Day 18 of Celtic Advent: 40 days of action and expectation!
















Good Evening Walk With Me On Our Journey Family!

Happy First Sunday of 4 week Advent, Day 18 of Celtic Advent, and our big milestone of going over 500,023 page views in history! We have enumerable things to celebrate as we #Journey on throughout this season and beyond. #Journey is our first #HashTagWithMeaning and #AdventWord. What does the word #Journey mean to you ? Please ponder  and meditate for a moment(s) if you will. When I think of the word #Journey, it reminds me of these words pilgrimage, wilderness, exodus, way, camino, and many others. Tonight and tomorrow it is time to Journal our #Journey this Advent season with this year's #AdventWords. Let us take a look at the list below and if you want to have a copy: Right Click and Save Image! 


We still are following the Celtic Advent Calendar for our action items. Here are today's and tomorrow's:
Today:Kneel down when you talk to a child Four-week Advent begins.
Tomorrow: Take a friend to tea (or coffee), leave the smartphone in your bag.

So let us begin on today's #Journey through scripture and worship! We will be using the Eucharistic Readings for the Sundays of Advent and the Daily Office Lectionary, Monday through Saturday! Also we will be using Canticle 8, The Song of Pilgrimage, The Song of the Wilderness, and The Magnificat as our canticles for this season.

Opening Sentences:

Advent

Watch , for you know not when the master of the house 
will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or 
in the morning; lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. 
Mark 13:35, 36

In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord, make straight 
in the desert a highway for our God.    Isaiah 40:3

The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see 
it together.    Isaiah 40:5 

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 32

The Son of man is to come with the angels in the glory of the Father. Matthew 16:27a (adapted)

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height and look toward the
east, and see your children gathered from west and east at the
word of the Holy One. Baruch 5:5

Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the skies rain down
righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation may spring up,
and let it cause righteousness to sprout up also. Isaiah 45:8, NRSV

Confession of Need


Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.


May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Now let us Light Our Candles and be at prayer.



The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!" 

I hold holy space for you during this time of prayer, vigil, and meditation. 



Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.


25 Ad te, Domine, levavi

1 To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
my God, I put my trust in you; *
let me not be humiliated,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.

2 Let none who look to you be put to shame; *
let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.

3 Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.

4 Lead me in your truth and teach me, *
for you are the God of my salvation;
in you have I trusted all the day long.

5 Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love, *
for they are from everlasting.

6 Remember not the sins of my youth and my transgressions; *
remember me according to your love
and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.

7 Gracious and upright is the Lord; *
therefore he teaches sinners in his way.

8 He guides the humble in doing right *
and teaches his way to the lowly.

9 All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness *
to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.

10 For your Name's sake, O Lord, *
forgive my sin, for it is great.

11 Who are they who fear the Lord? *
he will teach them the way that they should choose.

12 They shall dwell in prosperity, *
and their offspring shall inherit the land.

13 The Lord is a friend to those who fear him *
and will show them his covenant.

14 My eyes are ever looking to the Lord, *
for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
  

15 Turn to me and have pity on me, *
for I am left alone and in misery.

16 The sorrows of my heart have increased; *
bring me out of my troubles.

17 Look upon my adversity and misery *
and forgive me all my sin.

18 Look upon my enemies, for they are many, *
and they bear a violent hatred against me.

19 Protect my life and deliver me; *
let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.

20 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, *
for my hope has been in you.

21 Deliver Israel, O God, *
out of all his troubles.



Jeremiah 33:14-16

The Righteous Branch and the Covenant with David

14 The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will fulfil the promise I made to the house of Israel and the house of Judah. 15In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. 16In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. And this is the name by which it will be called: ‘The Lord is our righteousness.’

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem
Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22
Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God


1 Thessalonians 3:9-13

9How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy that we feel before our God because of you? 10Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you face to face and restore whatever is lacking in your faith.


11 Now may our God and Father himself and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you. 12And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you. 13And may he so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you may be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints. 

A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Luke 21:25-36

The Coming of the Son of Man

25 ‘There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on the earth distress among nations confused by the roaring of the sea and the waves. 26People will faint from fear and foreboding of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27Then they will see “the Son of Man coming in a cloud” with power and great glory. 28Now when these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.’

The Lesson of the Fig Tree

29 Then he told them a parable: ‘Look at the fig tree and all the trees; 30as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near. 31So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near. 32Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things have taken place. 33Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

Exhortation to Watch

34 ‘Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does not catch you unexpectedly, 35like a trap. For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth. 36Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.’

The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

Collects for the First Sunday of Advent!
Collects (ANZPB)

God of hope,
when Christ your Son appears
may he not find us asleep or idle,
but active in his service and ready.

Come, O come Emmanuel,
you are the way, the truth and the life;
you are the true vine and the bread of life.
Come, living Saviour,
come to your world which waits for you.

Almighty God,
give us grace to cast off the works of darkness
and put on the armour of light,
now in the time of this mortal life,
in which your Son Jesus Christ came to us in great humility;
so that when he shall come again in his glorious majesty
we may rise to the life immortal;
through him who lives and reigns with you
and the Holy Spirit,
one God now and for ever.

First Sunday of Advent (BCP)
Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of
darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of
this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit
us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come
again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the
dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and
for ever. Amen.

Vigil prayers for today's #AdventWord, #Journey


Let us pray with this response:  Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.

God we thank you that you are ever near us on our daily pilgrim #journey. Help us to not stumble but be sure of our love and faith for you.

 Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.

We light this candle for all people who have set their feet upon the pilgrim's way


God in your mercy, hear our prayer


God we pray for all refugees and asylum seekers who are on dangerous #Journeys to freedom, health and safety. Help us to learn about immigration and learn to be radically welcoming to all our brothers and sisters regardless of their status. God help us to remember in your kindom there isn't status, we are one and only a we! 
Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.


Let us light this candle in honor of the Holy Family and all saints known and unknown who risked their lives in service to you and be the change in this fragile and broken world.




God in your mercy, Hear our Prayer.

God we pray this night for all the homeless, hungry, and ill-clad who are #Journeying in the dark to find a safe place to shelter from the cold. Help us to be compassionate, accepting, loving, and merciful when we see our brothers and sisters on the streets. Give us strength and courage to learn their stories and not be afraid of our family members who are impoverished, mentally ill, and who are differently- abled. 

Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.


God we pray that we may remember these feet because, our feet may become these feet at anytime on our life's #Journey. Let us light this candle as a constant reminder of the least of these who travel with us on this #journey we call life.



God in your mercy, Hear our prayer.

God we pray this night that when anxiety and stress may cause us to become rattled, may we take this sacred #Journey and walk this labyrinth and stop, look, listen, and be in your holy presence. Help us to lean on you and learn from you life's lessons.

Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.

God we light this candle for all who are walking any kind of pilgrimage. We pray for those who are on the Camino during the Winter months. Help us to walk our own Camino and spread your Good News. 






God in your mercy, Hear our prayer.

God We Pray that we may walk, speak, and follow Jesus on the Way of Love, Justice, and Peace. God give us grace to follow Jesus on the #journey, He has called us to walk. Help us to tune our ears to the prophet Micah: 

Micah 6:6-8 The Voice (VOICE)

6 Israel: What should I bring into the presence of the Eternal One
        to pay homage to the God Most High?
    Should I come into His presence with burnt offerings,
        with year-old calves to sacrifice?
7     Would the Eternal be pleased by thousands of sacrificial rams,
        by ten thousand swollen rivers of sweet olive oil?
    Should I offer my oldest son for my wrongdoing,
        the child of my body to cover the sins of my life?

8 No. He has told you, mortals, what is good in His sight.
    What else does the Eternal ask of you
But to live justly and to love kindness
    and to walk with your True God in all humility? -

Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.

We light this final candle for all of us who are in need of a reminder of the vows we made at baptism and the #journey we set our feet upon as members of Christ's body!





Let us renew our baptismal vows as a reminder of the holy #journey we are on as members of the Beloved Community: 


The Renewal of Baptismal Vows


Celebrant Do you reaffirm your renunciation of evil and 
renew your commitment to Jesus Christ?
People I do.
   
Celebrant Do you believe in God the Father?
People I believe in God, the Father almighty, 
     creator of heaven and earth.

Celebrant Do you believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?
People I believe inJesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. 
     He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
          and born of the Virgin Mary.
     He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
          was crucified, died, and was buried.
     He descended to the dead.
     On the third day he rose again.
     He ascended into heaven,
          and is seated at the right hand of the Father. 
     He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
   
Celebrant Do you believe in God the Holy Spirit?
People I believe in the Holy Spirit,
     the holy catholic Church,
     the communion of saints,
     the forgiveness of sins,
     the resurrection of the body,
     and the life everlasting.
   
Celebrant Will you continue in the apostles' teaching and 
fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the 
prayers?
People I will, with God's help.
   
Celebrant Will you persevere in resisting evil, and, whenever 
you fall into sin, repent and return to the Lord?
People I will, with God's help.
   
Celebrant Will you proclaim by word and example the Good 
News of God in Christ?
People I will, with God's help.
   
Celebrant Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving 
your neighbor as yourself?
People I will, with God's help.

Celebrant Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, 
and respect the dignity of every human being?
People I will, with God's help.
The Celebrant concludes the Renewal of Vows as follows

May Almighty God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who
has given us a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and
bestowed upon us the forgiveness of sins, keep us in eternal
life by his grace, in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.

+++++


The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
Or
Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.


For the Human Family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.


The Beatitudes

When Jesus[a] saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely[b] on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Holy Wisdom, in your loving kindness you created and restored us when we were lost: inspire us with your truth, that we may love you with our whole minds and run to you with open hearts, through Christ our Savior. Amen. (source: Alcuin of York, Mass of Wisdom)

God our rock and refuge: keep us safe in your care and strengthen us with your grace, that we may pray to you faithfully and love one another boldly, following the example of Jesus, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives for ever and ever. Amen. (source: Veronese Sacramentary)

Loving Jesus: Protect and sustain us with your hand. Open the door of your love that, sealed with your wisdom, we may be free to serve you with joy. Amen. (a prayer of St. Gertrude)

 Jesus, you are the way through the wilderness: show us your truth in which we journey, and by the grace of the Holy Spirit be in us the life that draws us to God. Amen. (source: F.B. McNutt, The Prayer Manual [London: Mowbray, 1961], p. 29, adapted)

For Travelers

O God, our heavenly Father, whose glory fills the whole
creation, and whose presence we find wherever we go: Preserve
those who travel [in particular _______________]; surround
them with your loving care; protect them from every danger;
and bring them in safety to their journey's end; through
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen


Christ Has No Body.

by Teresa of Avila.

Christ has no body but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours, Yours are the eyes with which he looks. Compassion on this world, Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good, Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.


The Song of Simeon
    Nunc Dimittis

Luke 2:29-32


Lord, you now have set your servant free *
    to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
    whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
    and the glory of your people Israel. 


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)

O God of love and mercy, 
grant us, with all your people, rest and peace.


Today's Celtic Rite of Compline from the Northumbria Community may be added!


Sunday – The Ita Compline


Ita, who died in about 570, was abbess of a women’s community in Killeedy, County Limerick in Ireland. She ran a school for boys where she taught:

Faith in God with purity of heart; simplicity of life with religion; generosity with love.
Among those schooled by Ita was Brendan, who honoured her as his foster-mother and adviser. The Compline that follows is named after her because of its emphasis on examination of the heart, and the prayers of care and protection for each soul who crosses our path.

If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.

+ (silently)

The Sacred Three
to save
to shield
to surround
the hearth
the home
this night
and every night.

* Search me, O God, and know my heart.
Test me and know my thoughts.

* See if there is any wicked way in me
and lead me in the way everlasting.

O Father, O Son, O Holy Spirit,
forgive me my sins.
O only-begotten Son of the heavenly Father,
forgive.
O God who is one,
O God who is true,
O God who is first,
O God who is one substance,
O God only mighty,
in three Persons, truly merciful,
forgive.

* O God of life, this night,
O darken not to me Thy light.

* O God of life, this night,
close not Thy gladness to my sight.

* Keep Your people, Lord,
in the arms of Your embrace.
Shelter them under Your wings.

* Be their light in darkness.
Be their hope in distress.
Be their calm in anxiety.

* Be strength in their weakness.

* Be their comfort in pain.

* Be their song in the night.

In peace will I lie down, for it is You, O Lord,
You alone who makes me to rest secure.

* Be it on Your own beloved arm,
O God of grace, that I in peace shall awake.

Be the peace of the Spirit
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Son
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Father
mine this night.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

Today’s Meditation

Once you’ve heard a child cry out to heaven for help,
and go unanswered,
nothing’s ever the same again.
Nothing.
Even God changes.

But there is a healing hand at work
that cannot be deflected from its purpose.
I just can’t make sense of it, other than to cry.
Those tears are part of what it is to be a monk.

Out there, in the world, it can be very cold.
It seems to be about luck, good and bad,
and the distribution is absurd.

We have to be candles, burning between hope and despair,
faith and doubt, life and death,
all the opposites.

William Brodrick

+++++++

Past Prayers from #HashTagsWithMeaning #Journey


God we pray and meditate on the #journeys synonyms-

We pray for all who travel this time of year and our families who are traveling to find a better life.

We pray for all who are refugees who are taking flight into sanctuary and asylum.  We pray that their final destination may be a new home where freedom, security, love, peace, and sanctuary may be found. 

We pray for all who are wandering  and lost without direction  and who may be mentally ill,  that caring and compassionate family members may come to their aid.

We  pray for all who are facing travails in crossing borders, traveling to far away and distant lands where loving welcomes are few and far between. We pray that every where we go we may be welcomed and be treated with Compassion, acceptance, love and mercy We pray to an end to travel bans, walls. We pray that we may build bridges that will become holy crossings.

We pray that we may be pilgrims on a journey daily to you O God of Love. 

We pray that we may be still and know that you are God and that you have placed us on life's journey and not a fixed destination.

We pray that our souls may take flight and be empowered to serve you and the least of these.

We pray that we may continue to put down heart roots ,heart homes, and inner beings that are being expanded as we journey daily into your holy presence O, God.

We pray in the words of the Lords' Prayer reminding us that  the etymology of #journey in Latin means 'Daily Portion' - Tonight we will use the form of the Lords' Prayer as found in the New Zealand Prayer Book


Eternal Spirit, 
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver, 
Source of all that is and that shall be, 
Father and Mother of us all, 
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe! 
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world! 
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! 
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom 
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. 
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. 
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us. 
From trials too great to endure, spare us. 
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, 
now and for ever. Amen.


As we continue our time of Christmas let us as pilgrims set our feet upon the Stations of the Creche as we approach the Feast of the Epiphany.

Stations of the Creche

I. Mary receives word that she is to bear the Christ child.
"Be it unto me according to your Word"
Lord may we say yes to your call and walk with you in love and not fear.

II. Mary Tells Joseph her news!
"Do not be afraid Joseph to Take Mary as your wife"
Help us to not be afraid when God presents us with difficulty. May we seek to have faith and resiliency.

III. Joseph receives word about needing to go to Bethlehem to be enrolled
Lord help us to remember that we are all written in your Book of life and that we are precious to you and every hair on our heads are counted.

IV. Mary and Joseph set out on the road to Bethlehem.
Lord God we pray for all who travel and pray for safe passage wherever we go this season.

V, Mary and Joseph seek shelter as Mary goes into labor. 
Lord God we pray for all who seek shelter this night and for all women who are in labor. We pray for safety for all who  are the least of these our family members. May we offer our homes and hearts as shelters from any kind of storm.

VI. Mary and Joseph take shelter in a manger
Lord God it is good to be in this manger as a reminder that all living things are precious to you and that we all must eat the Bread of eternal life in new mangers as we feast with Jesus in the Holy Eucharist at God's Holy Table set with Bread and Wine.

VII Jesus is Born 
Come let us adore him and give thanks that Jesus came into God's world to redeem, heal, and teach us how to be brothers and sisters one to another. We give thanks that on that most holy night we were no longer strangers but the Family of Love.

VIII. Angelic Hosts tell the Shepherds "Do not be afraid"! Follow the Star to the Manger and greet with joy the birth of the Messiah. 
Lord God may we never be afraid to come and meet and greet our Lord in all persons, places, and situations.

IX. The Magi Visit Jesus, Mary, and Joseph
Lord God, teach us to be giving of our time, talents, treasures, and ourselves. Help us to give and receive the Gift of presence from you and others.

X. Herod sets out to kill the Holy Innocents.
Lord God, we pray for peace in the world and an end to violence against all your children , young and old. We pray for your holy and loving protection  to surround them wherever they may be.

XI  Jesus, Mary, and Joseph take flight into Egypt.
Lord God, we pray for all refugees who are fleeing wars, economic situations, religious persecution, and political uncertainty. We pray that they may return to their homes and livelihoods and if they are to stay where they have taken flight to that they may be welcomed not as strangers but as members of the family of love.

XII. Jesus, Mary and Joseph return home to Nazareth.
Lord God we pray that as we return home from work or travel that our homes may be havens of peace and places of refreshment for all of our family members.

These prayers may be interspersed after each station:


Mary’s Song of Praise
46 And Mary[a] said,

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
    Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
    and holy is his name.
50 His mercy is for those who fear him
    from generation to generation.
51 He has shown strength with his arm;
    he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
52 He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
    and lifted up the lowly;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
    and sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
    in remembrance of his mercy,
55 according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
    to Abraham and to his descendants forever.”


The Lord's Prayer
(traditional)

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. 
Thy will be done in earth, 
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us. 
And lead us not into temptation, 
But deliver us from evil. 
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.

The Angelus

V. The Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary.
R. And she conceived of the Holy Spirit.
    Hail Mary, full of grace,
    The Lord is with Thee;
    Blessed art thou among women,
    And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God,
    Pray for us sinners,
    Now and at the hour of our death. Amen
V. Behold the handmaid of the Lord.
R. Be it done unto me according to thy word.
    Hail Mary, etc.
V. And the Word was made Flesh.
R. And dwelt among us.
    Hail Mary, etc.
V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
LET US PRAY


Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts, that we to whom the Incarnation of Christ Thy Son was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His Resurrection. Through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

++++++++


God set our bodies, minds, spirits and feet upon this holy year of pilgrimage that our hearts may be ever fixed on You and in your service to all our family members.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.


God we pray that we may spread the Good News to all People with love, faith, and without fear.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.


God give us grace and courage to speak truth to power during this holy year of pilgrimage and stand up for the marginalized and their need for universal human rights.

Your word is a lamp to my feet

    and a light to my path.

God we pray that we may listen to where you call us to go during this time of holy pilgrimage.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.


God help us to have times of oasis and refreshment and learn that being a pilgrim also involves being on retreat.

Your word is a lamp to my feet

    and a light to my path.

God we pray for all those who are ill and in need of healing. Help us to go and be sent to care for them with healing hands and hearts of love.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.


God we pray that we as pilgrims may also become peacemakers at home and throughout the world.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.


God we lift up these our prayers to you in the name of Jesus who taught us how to be pilgrims. Amen.




Or these:


Holy God  as we set our feet out upon this year's pilgrim way  may we be always reminded that life is a journey not a destination. Guide our feet and paths O, God!

Holy God help us to learn many things this year and become your willing students who want to sit at your feet to look, listen, seek, and feel your presence and hear what you are calling us to do and what you have to impart to us. 

Holy God, give us courage to become your feet to spread your Good News of Peace to all our family members.

Holy God enfold all those who are suffering this night especially_____________

 all who are ill and in the hospital. Comfort, console, and heal their bodies, minds, and spirits.

Holy God, enfold all of your children who are seeking help from  you. You know their needs before we pray. Comfort, console, and heal their bodies, minds, and spirits.

Holy God  enfold all of your children who are in mourning, give them strength and consolation as they meet the challenges of living with out their precious loved ones. Help us to step up and give them our love, support, and a soft place to fall.

Holy God enfold  all of  your children who have fears, anxieties, worries , and other concerns. Give them peace and the knowledge of knowing you are ever present.

Holy God enfold. all of us who are facing struggles this year. Help us to know that we are in your arms and you will not let us fall.

Holy God enfold all your children who are dying and those precious souls who have made their journey into the Thin Places  this night and today.  May they rest in peace and rise in glory and may they sing and dance for joy in the heavenly places for  all eternity.

Holy God enfold all  living things from the rich soil, verdant foliage, and the tallest giraffe that it may be protected and conserved and that God's Cathedral of Life may flourish and be healed.

Holy God enfold us as we pray and give thanks for all our many blessings and may we add our prayers for those who have come to us seeking prayers especially____________________ and for those who have wanted to ask us for prayer but were afraid and the may unspoken prayers this day.


These  are our prayers Lord Jesus and we present them to you in your most Holy Name. Amen. 


Or these

O God of our journey and daily life pilgrimage guide our footsteps where we should be going each and every day. I will follow you on the route with out fear and anxiety.

O God help us to know when we need to use our wings to take to sky, and fly with your Spirit into the future where you are calling us. May we hear and feel the Holy Spirit give us the nudge to take route and take flight.

O God we pray for those who have been rooted too much in their thoughts, deeds, and beliefs that have led them to bully,hate, and discriminate.

O God we pray that faith may take root in each of us so that we may take route and proclaim Your Good News with love, compassion, and example and with a joyful spirit.

O God may we take root this evening and rest and honor our bodies, minds, and spirits to be able to take route tomorrow and serve you in your kingdom.

Prayers, Thanksgivings, Remembrances, and Celebrations may be added here.

All this we ask in the God who has taken root in us, and set us  on the route that leads to life eternal and the springs of  the Water of  Life. Amen.

+++

Good Night Beloved Community! Here are a few more quotes on Advent and Spiritual Journey:

"Advent is not about a sentimental waiting for the Baby Jesus." ~ Richard Rohr

"We had thought that we were human beings making a spiritual journey; it may be truer to say that we are spiritual beings making a human journey." ~ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

"Advent is the season that can remind us God is working while we're waiting and we're really waiting with God." ~ Louie Giglio

"The journey home to God is what life is about. In a sense it's not even a journey. It's an ongoing experience." ~ Harold Klemp

"If I were but sure that I should live to see the coming of the Lord, it would be the joyfulest tidings in the world. O that I might see His kingdom come! It is the characteristic of His saints to love His appearing, and to look for that blessed hope. "The Spirit and the bride say, Come." "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."" ~ Richard Baxter

"Pilgrims are poets who create by taking journeys." ~ H. Richard Niebuhr

"How can God stoop lower than to come and dwell with a poor humble soul? Which is more than if he had said, such a one should dwell with him; for a beggar to live at court is not so much as the king to dwell with him in his cottage." ~ William Gurnall

"Just by the very nature of our birth, we are on the spiritual journey." ~ Thomas Keating

"Before His visible advent in the flesh the Logos of God dwelt among the patriarchs and prophets in a spiritual manner, prefiguring the mysteries of His advent. After His incarnation He is present in a similar way not only to those who are still beginners, nourishing them spiritually and leading them toward the maturity of divine perfection, but also to the perfect, secretly pre-delineating in them the features of His future advent as if in an ikon." ~ Maximus the Confessor

"St. Teresa of Avila wrote: 'All difficulties in prayer can be traced to one cause: praying as if God were absent.' This is the conviction that we bring with us from early childhood and apply to everyday life and to our lives in general. It gets stronger as we grow up, unless we are touched by the Gospel and begin the spiritual journey. This journey is a process of dismantling the monumental illusion that God is distant or absent." ~ Thomas Keating
+++++

Now it is time to celebrate over Half a Million Page views by giving thanks to God. I love you and give thanks to God for you always!


Hope, love, peace, and Joy,

Sara



Resources

A to Z Quotes

Satucket Lectionary Page- 
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
Quote sites for prayers
Northumbria Community
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Helpful Blogs for the season:

Contemplative Cottage
Here is a helpful calendar that will lead us through the season: Celtic Advent Calendar 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment