Friday, December 7, 2018

#AdventWords2018 #HashTagsWithMeaning - #Sprout -Day 23 of Celtic Advent: 40 days of action and expectation!




Good Evening Family!

Sorry this is late! I have returned from the NAACP Freedom Fund Banquet! Tonight I was having fun #sprouting new friendships and renewing old ones. Advent is a time for planting, #sprouting, nourishing, focusing, and tending to our spiritual lives as if we were going to meet Jesus in the manger for the very first time. This retreat weekend we will take a look at the first week of #AdventWords and journal our #AdventWord Journey. Part of this will a time of using each word in an arrow prayer. Keeping it simple! Today's #AdventWord2018 is #Sprout. What does the word #Sprout mean to you spiritually and personally?  Let us take a moment to look up the word in a dictionary of your choice and see what the definition and etymology is. After you have completed this task write down your own definition in your journal and meditate upon it. God wants us to grow even during the Winter Months! Remember whenever we are seemingly in fallow times that is when we are doing the hard work of growing and sprouting in all aspects of living. So let us make this weekend a time of planting, sprouting, and nourishing our bodies, minds, and spirits. Make sure you do your Worry/Free Sabbath work. This is invaluable for us as we are mid point in the season of Advent.  Let us begin with these prayers:

For Knowledge of God's Creation

Almighty and everlasting God, you made the universe with
all its marvelous order, its atoms, worlds, and galaxies, and
the infinite complexity of living creatures: Grant that, as we
probe the mysteries of your creation, we may come to know
you more truly, and more surely fulfill our role in your
eternal purpose; in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For the Conservation of Natural Resources

Almighty God, in giving us dominion over things on earth,
you made us fellow workers in your creation: Give us wisdom
and reverence so to use the resources of nature, that no one
may suffer from our abuse of them, and that generations yet
to come may continue to praise you for your bounty; through
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen


 For the Harvest of Lands and Waters

O gracious Father, who openest thine hand and fillest all
things living with plenteousness: Bless the lands and waters,
and multiply the harvests of the world; let thy Spirit go
forth, that it may renew the face of the earth; show thy
loving-kindness, that our land may give her increase; and
save us from selfish use of what thou givest, that men and
women everywhere may give thee thanks; through Christ 
our Lord. Amen.


Today let us ponder these quotes as they are our opening sentences! 




"A farmer is helpless to grow grain; all he can do is provide the right conditions for the growing of grain. He cultivates the ground, he plants the seed, he waters the plants, and then the natural forces of the earth take over and up comes the grain...This is the way it is with the Spiritual Disciplines - they are a way of sowing to the Spirit... By themselves the Spiritual Disciplines can do nothing; they can only get us to the place where something can be done." ~ Richard J. Foster

"The hard work of sowing seed in what looks like perfectly empty earth has a time of harvest. All suffering, pain, emptiness, disappointment is seed: sow it in God and He will, finally, bring a crop of joy from it." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

We plant seeds that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of anger, avarice, envy and doubt, that peace and abundance may manifest for all." ~ Dorothy Day

"BELOVED, gaze in thine own heart, The holy tree is growing there." ~ William Butler Yeats


"The word of God is a tree of life that offers us blessed fruit from each of its branches. It is like that rock which was struck open in the wilderness, from which all were offered spiritual drink. Be glad then that you are overwhelmed, and do not be saddened because he has overcome you. A thirsty person is happy when drinking, and not depressed, because the spring is inexhaustible. You can satisfy your thirst without exhausting the spring; then when you thirst again, you can drink from it once more." ~ Ephrem the Syrian

"Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations." ~ John the Apostle

"Be as useful as a tree! Give life to others; be shelter to everyone; grant fruits to all! Be good like a tree!" ~ Mehmet Murat Ildan


Isaiah 11:1-5, 10
There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a
branch shall grow out of his roots. And the Spirit of the Lord shall
rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of
counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the
Lord. And his delight shall be in the fear of the Lord. He shall not
judge by what his eyes see, or decide by what his ears hear; but
with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity
for the meek of the earth; and he shall smite the earth with the rod
of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall slay the
wicked. Righteousness shall be the girdle of his waist, and
faithfulness the girdle of his loins. … In that day the root of Jesse
shall stand as an ensign to the peoples; him shall the nations
seek, and his dwellings shall be glorious.

Acts 13:16, 22-23
So Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said: “Men of
Israel, and you that fear God, listen: When [God] had removed
[Saul], he raised up David to be their king; of whom [God] testified
and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my
heart, who will do all my will.’ Of this man’s posterity God has
brought to Israel a Savior, Jesus, as he promised.”

"What is planted in each person's soul will sprout." ~ Rumi

"The smallest sprout shows there is really no death." ~ Walt Whitman

"Just as a tree, though cut down, sprouts up again if its roots remain uncut and firm, even so, until the craving that lies dormant is rooted out, suffering springs up again and again." ~ Gautama Buddha

"Your heart is full of fertile seeds, waiting to sprout." ~ Morihei Ueshiba

"You cannot transmit wisdom and insight to another person. The seed is already there. A good teacher touches the seed, allowing it to wake up, to sprout, and to grow." ~ Nhat Hanh

"The grower of trees, the gardener, the man born to farming, whose hands reach into the ground and sprout, to him the soil is a divine drug. He enters into death yearly, and comes back rejoicing. He has seen the light lie down in the dung heap, and rise again in the corn." ~ Wendell Berry

"YOUR HEART IS FULL of fertile seeds, waiting to sprout. Just as a lotus flower springs from the mire to bloom splendidly, the interaction of the cosmic breath causes the flower of the spirit to bloom and bear fruit in this world." ~ Morihei Ueshiba

"Peace is the most covetable possession on the earth. It is the greatest treasure in all the universe. Peace is the most important and indispensable factor for all growth and development. It is in the tranquility and quiet of the night that the seed slowly sprouts from under the soil. The bud opens in the depth of the most silent hours. So also, in a state of peace and love, people evolve, grow in their distinctive culture, and develop perfect civilization." ~ Sivananda

It is the God who said, Let light shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:6-10




Confession of Need


Let us confess our need for God’s healing grace.

Silence

Compassionate God,
we confess our weaknesses and our need for your
strengthening touch.
We confess that some illnesses stem from our own fault,
while others are beyond our control.
We turn to you, source of life,
and ask in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ
for the gifts of true healing and life in you. Amen.


May the God of love visit us in our times of trial and weakness,
and raise us to newness of life, through Jesus Christ, in the
power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.



Now let us Light Our Candles and be at prayer.



The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!" 
I hold holy space for you during this time of prayer, vigil, and meditation.

Light of the World Phos hilaron


Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Psalm 134 Ecce nunc

Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, *
you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; *
the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 141:1-3,8ab Domine, clamavi

O LORD, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O LORD,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
My eyes are turned to you, Lord GOD; *
in you I take refuge.
+++

Hymn

God that madest earth and heaven, 
Darkness and light; 
Who the day for toil hast given, 
For rest the night; 
May thine angel guards defend us, 
Slumber sweet thy mercy send us,
Holy dreams and hopes attend us, 
This livelong night.

Guard us waking, guard us sleeping,
And, when we die, 
May we in thy mighty keeping 
All peaceful lie: 
When the last dread call shall wake us, 
Do not thou our God forsake us, 
But to reign in glory take us 
With thee on high.





God as we prepare our lamps and fill them with oil may we remember that this oil tonight is a holy oil, a holy balm, made to light the way out of darkness and into healing. We light our candles as a symbol of unity, peace, and as your loving family. We pray for healing and comfort this day for the people who are affected by wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, and flood. We pray for the healing of your Cathedral of Life and that we may help you become good conservationists of the abundant gifts you have given us. We pray for the healing of all nations and people that unity and a spirit of familyhood may grow. We pray for the healing of our bodies minds and spirits that we may be made whole so that we may serve you and all our family members nearby and in distant places. We pray for the healing of relationships where violent words and actions have occurred  We pray this night that wherever there is division there may be healing and grace. We pray for the healing where injustice, inequality, and human rights are being challenged and in our land and in the other lands where people aren't being treated fairly because of who they are and how God has made them to be. 

Now repeat after me: "The Light of Christ in Me, Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!"  Imagine that you are passing this candle to the person next to you and passing the candle from family member to family member. Lovingly look into their eyes and with tender and compassionate tone of voice repeat the above.  Don't forget the smile!

Image result for candle passing







22 Deus, Deus meus

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? *
and are so far from my cry
and from the words of my distress?

2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but you do not answer; *
by night as well, but I find no rest.

3 Yet you are the Holy One, *
enthroned upon the praises of Israel.

4 Our forefathers put their trust in you; *
they trusted, and you delivered them.

5 They cried out to you and were delivered; *
they trusted in you and were not put to shame.

6 But as for me, I am a worm and no man, *
scorned by all and despised by the people.

7 All who see me laugh me to scorn; *
they curl their lips and wag their heads, saying,

8 "He trusted in the Lord; let him deliver him; *
let him rescue him, if he delights in him."

9 Yet you are he who took me out of the womb, *
and kept me safe upon my mother's breast.

10 I have been entrusted to you ever since I was born; *
you were my God when I was still in my
mother's womb.

11 Be not far from me, for trouble is near, *
and there is none to help.

12 Many young bulls encircle me; *
strong bulls of Bashan surround me.

13 They open wide their jaws at me, *
like a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water;
all my bones are out of joint; *
my heart within my breast is melting wax.

15 My mouth is dried out like a pot-sherd;
my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; *
and you have laid me in the dust of the grave.

16 Packs of dogs close me in,
and gangs of evildoers circle around me; *
they pierce my hands and my feet;
I can count all my bones.

17 They stare and gloat over me; *
they divide my garments among them;
they cast lots for my clothing.

18 Be not far away, O Lord; *
you are my strength; hasten to help me.

19 Save me from the sword, *
my life from the power of the dog.

20 Save me from the lion's mouth, *
my wretched body from the horns of wild bulls.

21 I will declare your Name to my brethren; *
in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.

22 Praise the Lord, you that fear him; *
stand in awe of him, O offspring of Israel;
all you of Jacob's line, give glory.

23 For he does not despise nor abhor the poor in their poverty;
neither does he hide his face from them; *
but when they cry to him he hears them.

24 My praise is of him in the great assembly; *
I will perform my vows in the presence of those who
worship him.

25 The poor shall eat and be satisfied,
and those who seek the Lord shall praise him: *
"May your heart live for ever!"

26 All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to
the Lord, *
and all the families of the nations shall bow before him.

27 For kingship belongs to the Lord; *
he rules over the nations.

28 To him alone all who sleep in the earth bow down
in worship; *
all who go down to the dust fall before him.

29 My soul shall live for him;
my descendants shall serve him; *
they shall be known as the Lord's for ever.

30 They shall come and make known to a people yet unborn *
the saving deeds that he has done.


Isaiah 3:8-15


8 For Jerusalem has stumbled
   and Judah has fallen,
because their speech and their deeds are against the Lord,
   defying his glorious presence.


9 The look on their faces bears witness against them;
   they proclaim their sin like Sodom,
   they do not hide it.
Woe to them!
   For they have brought evil on themselves.
10 Tell the innocent how fortunate they are,
   for they shall eat the fruit of their labours.
11 Woe to the guilty! How unfortunate they are,
   for what their hands have done shall be done to them.
12 My people—children are their oppressors,
   and women rule over them.
O my people, your leaders mislead you,
   and confuse the course of your paths.


13 The Lord rises to argue his case;
   he stands to judge the peoples.
14 The Lord enters into judgement
   with the elders and princes of his people:
It is you who have devoured the vineyard;
   the spoil of the poor is in your houses.
15 What do you mean by crushing my people,
   by grinding the face of the poor? says the Lord God of hosts.

The Song of Mary Magnificat
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my Savior, *
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me,
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you *
from generation to generation.
You have shown strength with your arm *
and scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones *
and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things *
and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel, *
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise made to our forebears, *
to Abraham and his children for ever.

1 Thessalonians 4:1-12

A Life Pleasing to God

4Finally, brothers and sisters,* we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus that, as you learned from us how you ought to live and to please God (as, in fact, you are doing), you should do so more and more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. 3For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from fornication; 4that each one of you knows how to control your own body* in holiness and honour, 5not with lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6that no one wrongs or exploits a brother or sister* in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, just as we have already told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. 7For God did not call us to impurity but in holiness. 8Therefore whoever rejects this rejects not human authority but God, who also gives his Holy Spirit to you.

9 Now concerning love of the brothers and sisters,* you do not need to have anyone write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another; 10and indeed you do love all the brothers and sisters* throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, beloved,* to do so more and more, 11to aspire to live quietly, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we directed you, 12so that you may behave properly towards outsiders and be dependent on no one.

A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem
Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22
Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.
Luke 20:41-21:4

The Question about David’s Son

41 Then he said to them, ‘How can they say that the Messiah* is David’s son? 42For David himself says in the book of Psalms,
“The Lord said to my Lord,
‘Sit at my right hand,
43   until I make your enemies your footstool.’ ”
44David thus calls him Lord; so how can he be his son?’

Jesus Denounces the Scribes

45 In the hearing of all the people he said to the* disciples, 46‘Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love to be greeted with respect in the market-places, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honour at banquets. 47They devour widows’ houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.’

The Widow’s Offering

21He looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury; 2he also saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. 3He said, ‘Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; 4for all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on.’

A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *

and sorrow and sighing shall flee away

Collects for the First Sunday of Advent!
Collects (ANZPB)

God of hope,
when Christ your Son appears
may he not find us asleep or idle,
but active in his service and ready.

Come, O come Emmanuel,
you are the way, the truth and the life;
you are the true vine and the bread of life.
Come, living Saviour,
come to your world which waits for you.

Almighty God,
give us grace to cast off the works of darkness
and put on the armour of light,
now in the time of this mortal life,
in which your Son Jesus Christ came to us in great humility;
so that when he shall come again in his glorious majesty
we may rise to the life immortal;
through him who lives and reigns with you
and the Holy Spirit,
one God now and for ever.

First Sunday of Advent (BCP)
Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of
darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of
this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit
us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come
again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the
dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and
for ever. Amen.

Let us engage in a time of silence. Please get out your timers and set them for 20 minutes.
After the period of 20 minutes of mindfulness and our eyes being closed let us use this format for our time of prayer and breathing:

First breathe in the Holy Spirit and let your lungs expand with love and energy.
Exhale love and feel empowered with compassion and mercy.

God let our spirits be renewed this night and that we may rest and awaken to serve and worship God on the morrow.

Inhale the Holy Spirit, exhale love!

God we pray for all those who are ill that they may be healed that they may feel God's healing and life giving spirit.

Inhale the Holy Spirit , exhale love!

God we pray for peace in our hearts and in the world that all of our family members may be empowered to be peace makers and your children.

Inhale the Holy Spirit , exhale love!

God we pray for all those who have lost loved ones in the latest acts of terror. May we rise with the Holy Spirit's power and do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with you O God and give voice to the voiceless!

Inhale the Holy Spirit, exhale love!
God we pray for an end to hatred, violence, division and terror from all who use these things against all your beloved children and the least of these. May their hearts be turned to love and live the true words of the Gospel and not the Gospel of Hate.

Inhale the Holy Spirit , exhale love!

Inhale the Holy Spirit , exhale love!

God we pray for all who died and those who mourn. Let those who mourn and those who have entered and are entering the Thin Places feel your gentle Spirit's love, compassion, and grace enfolding them.

Inhale the Holy Spirit , exhale love!

We add our prayers, thanksgivings, celebrations, and remembrances this night especially for________________
Inhale the Holy Spirit , exhale love!

Or these!

Come Jesus! Come empower us! Receive these our prayers in your Name ! Amen.

God we pray this night that wherever we maybe we may find sacred space.  May this be such a time a and place as this is.

God we pray that when we don't feel safe that we may look inwardly and find our heart homes a place of  sacred space and safety.

God we pray that we may be a soft place in which to fall for all of our family members.

God we take this time to be together as one family where we can truly pray and feel the love we have for one another.

God we pray for all who are lonely, lost, and afraid that we may extend a loving hand and prayer towards them.

God we pray for peace in this fragile and broken world that we may seek to be peace makers, hope bringers, love givers, and radiate joy to all. 

God we pray to be in harmony with nature and all living things and for the protection and conservation of your Cathedral of Life. 

God we pray for all who are ill and in pain that their suffering may be relieved and given you healing balm.

God we pray for an end to all division and hatred that we all may be one  and learn from each other.

God we lift up these our prayers in your holy and life giving name. Amen.


or these

God we pray this night for all who are in pain in body, mind, and spirit that they may feel you healing and loving presence. 

We pray for peace on Earth and that we may become the Family of God that you have called us to be. May we break down the walls and borders that divide us.

We remember this day all of our Family Members who are returning from the long weekend and for traveling mercies.

We pray this night for all who have had to spend the weekend in the hospital or any care facility.

We pray for all those who are seeking healthy employment and workplace conditions. 

We pray that we may learn to love with our hearts, minds, and spirits to build up and not to destroy.

We pray that we all may learn to stop the glorification of busy and learn to rest and be at peace

We pray this night for all children and for their safety during the Summer months.

We pray for all those who have addiction, mental illness, and memory disorders.

We pray that we may be able to be better listeners at heart and soul level.

We pray for all of our Family Members who keep us safe from harm.

We pray that we may be learn to take care of  Your Cathedral of Life and that we may stop being wasteful. 

We pray for all of our Family Members not just the ones we are related to by blood but through our common humanity. May we learn to love them more each and every day that we, live, move and be.

We pray especially for_________________________

Jesus help us to etch these words in our bodies, minds, and spirits "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

We ask these our prayers in Your Name Lord Jesus. Amen
The  Beatitudes  Matthew 5:3–12

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10

And we remember the words of St. Teresa of Avila

Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)
Christ Has No Body

Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion on this world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.


“Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.” 
― Teresa of Ávila

From A New Zealand Prayer Book-

Lord, 
it is night.

The night is for stillness. 
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day. 
What has been done has been done; 
what has not been done has not been done; 
let it be.

The night is dark. 
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives 
rest in you. 
The night is quiet. 
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, 
all dear to us, 
and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn. 
Let us look expectantly to a new day, 
new joys, 
new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen.



The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
Or
Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.


For the Human Family

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.

 A Prayer attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.

Holy Wisdom, in your loving kindness you created and restored us when we were lost: inspire us with your truth, that we may love you with our whole minds and run to you with open hearts, through Christ our Savior. Amen. (source: Alcuin of York, Mass of Wisdom)

God our rock and refuge: keep us safe in your care and strengthen us with your grace, that we may pray to you faithfully and love one another boldly, following the example of Jesus, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives for ever and ever. Amen. (source: Veronese Sacramentary)

Loving Jesus: Protect and sustain us with your hand. Open the door of your love that, sealed with your wisdom, we may be free to serve you with joy. Amen. (a prayer of St. Gertrude)

 Jesus, you are the way through the wilderness: show us your truth in which we journey, and by the grace of the Holy Spirit be in us the life that draws us to God. Amen. (source: F.B. McNutt, The Prayer Manual [London: Mowbray, 1961], p. 29, adapted)


Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world.
St. Teresa of Avila

The Wisdom of God

the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

The blessing of God, the eternal goodwill of God, the shalom of God, the wildness and the warmth of God, be among us and between us, now and always.

Today's Celtic Rite of Compline from the Northumbria Community may be added!

Friday – The Boisil Compline

Boisil, Prior of Melrose Abbey, died in 661. Bede described him as a ‘priest of great virtue and prophetic spirit.’ Boisil, on his first meeting with Cuthbert, who was to be his pupil, exclaimed, ‘Behold, the servant of the Lord!’ – recognizing the call of God on the young man’s life.If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.
+ (silently)

* O Lord, You will keep us safe
and protect us forever.

I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.

* I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.

* Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.

* Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.

Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.

* Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.

* Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in His peace.

God with me protecting,
the Lord with me directing,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.

* In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.

The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

Today’s Meditation

You need to be generous to yourself in order to receive the love that surrounds you.
You can suffer from a desperate hunger to be loved.
You can search long years in lonely places, far outside yourself.
Yet the whole time, this love is but a few inches away from you.
It is at the edge of your soul, but you have been blind to its presence.

We must remain attentive in order to be able to receive.

John O’Donohue

When a great moment knocks on the door of your life,
it is often no louder than the beating of your heart,
and it is very easy to miss it.
Boris Pasternak

+++++
Good Night Dear Ones! Here are our action items from the Celtic Advent Calendar:
Today:Notice the eyecolor of people close to you and marvel at beauty
Tomorrow:Light candles for whatever place or situation breaks your heart
 I love you and hope you have a blessed rest tonight and a wonderful day of Self-Care, Sabbath, and retreat time of introspsection this weekend.

Peace, hope, joy, and love,

Sara

Resources






Satucket Lectionary Page- 
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
Quote sites for prayers
Northumbria Community
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Contemplative Cottage
Here is a helpful calendar that will lead us through the season: Celtic Advent Calendar 2018

Optional Readings: 
Eucharistic Readings:
Psalm 27:1-6,17-18 
Isaiah 29:17-24; Matthew 9:27-31


No comments:

Post a Comment