Friday, October 26, 2018

Celebrating the lives and Speaking the Names of Matthew Shepard, Eugene H. Peterson, and Thomas Keating











Good Evening Dear Family,

Happy Retreat Weekend. Tonight we make vigil and remember 3 remarkable people who have enlightened the world by just by being themselves. We speak the names of Matthew Shepard, Eugene H. Peterson, and Thomas Keating.  This morning I woke up in time to watch the Celebration of Life and Remembrance of Matthew Wayne Shepard that was livestreamed  from the National Cathedral. Remembering Matthew today reminded me that life is precious and that we must continuously be striving against hatred, bigotry, and violence against those who differ from us. My heart breaks every time I think of Matthew because as a member of the human family and the LGBTQIA community it distresses me greatly because people and governmental organizations are making every effort to cleanse communities that aren't like themselves. This needs to stop! Not later! Now! We need to do this in memory of Matthew and all victims of hate crimes.  After we do this we must take time to center in with the contemplative practice called Centering Prayer and remember the gift Thomas Keating brought into the world. Finally we need to sometimes look to differing voices of scripture as we remember Eugene H. Peterson who created THE MESSAGE. We will use this version of the Bible for our lessons today. God gave us these three brothers and we must celebrate and give thanks for their lives as we begin our weekend retreat. So, let us begin.

Welcome home to our sacred circle of life.
Welcome home to our sacred circle.
Welcome home.
Welcome.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Welcome home to our sacred circle of life.
Welcome home to our sacred circle.
Welcome home.
Welcome.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Welcome home to our sacred circle of life.
Welcome home to our sacred circle.
Welcome home.
Welcome.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

We speak and ponder the words of Thomas Keating and Eugene H. Peterson today and celebrate their memory as they have entered into the Thin Places and are rising in everlasting glory. 


"The poor are not a problem to be solved but a people to join." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"To see everything in God and to see God in everything normally takes a lifetime of practice." ~ Thomas Keating

"If you keep the Sabbath, you start to see creation not as somewhere to get away from your ordinary life, but a place to frame an attentiveness to your life." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"To become who we are as creatures made in the image and likeness of God, we have to be nothing and everything at once, since this is what God is. ... If we accept who we are, we are manifesting God and radiating Christ. The latter unfolding of the divine life within us does not need to go anywhere 
 or do anything special." ~ Thomas Keating

"You're here to be LIGHT... Shine! Be generous with your lives." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"The best way to understand another person's religion is to listen to the story of what particular practices helped them to deepen and to embody their religion, especially its spirituality." ~ Thomas Keating

"No life of faith can be lived privately. There must be overflow into the lives of others." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"Centering prayer is a training in letting go." ~ Thomas Keating

"If you don't take a Sabbath, something is wrong. You're doing too much, you're being too much in charge. You've got to quit, one day a week, and just watch what God is doing when you're not doing anything." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"The divine therapy helps us integrate our animal nature with the new possibilities of rational consciousness." ~ Thomas Keating

"There are no experts in the company of Jesus. We are all beginners, necessarily followers, because we don’t know where we are going." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"We rarely think of the air we breathe, yet it is in us and around us all the time. In similar fashion, the presence of God penetrates us, is all around us, is always embracing us." ~ Thomas Keating

"The way of Jesus cannot be imposed or mapped — it requires an active participation in following Jesus as he leads us through sometimes strange and unfamiliar territory, in circumstances that become clear only in the hesitations and questionings, in the pauses and reflections where we engage in prayerful conversation with one another and with him." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"God's first language is Silence. Everything else is a translation." ~ Thomas Keating

"Sabbath is that uncluttered time and space in which we can distance ourselves from our own activities enough to see what God is doing." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"If one completes the journey to one's own heart, one will find oneself in the heart of everyone else." ~ Thomas Keating

"When we sin and mess up our lives, we find that God doesn't go off and leave us- he enters into our trouble and saves us." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"God will bring people and events into our lives, and whatever we may think about them, they are designed for the evolution of His life in us." ~ Thomas Keating

"O God, when my faith gets overladen with dust, blow it clean with the wind of your Spirit. When my habits of obedience get stiff and rusty, anoint them with the oil of your Spirit. Restore the enthusiasm of my first love for you." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"Perhaps the shortest and most powerful prayer in human language is help." ~ Thomas Keating

"The life of faith isn't meant for tourists. It's meant for pilgrims." ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"The acceptance of all that God has given us and the willingness to let it go - to give it back to him at a moment's notice - that's true human freedom." ~ Thomas Keating

"Our Father in heaven, Reveal who you are. Set the world right; Do what's best - As above, so below. Keep us alive with three square meals. Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others. Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil. You're in charge!" ~ Eugene H. Peterson

"Just by the very nature of our birth, we are on the spiritual journey." ~ Thomas Keating

+++

I am Resurrection and I am Life, says the Lord.
Whoever has faith in me shall have life,
even though he die.
And everyone who has life,
and has committed himself to me in faith,
shall not die for ever.

As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives
and that at the last he will stand upon the earth. 
After my awaking, he will raise me up;
and in my body I shall see God.
I myself shall see, and my eyes behold him
who is my friend and not a stranger.

For none of us has life in himself,
and none becomes his own master when he dies. 
For if we have life, we are alive in the Lord, 
and if we die, we die in the Lord.
So, then, whether we live or die,
we are the Lord's possession.

Happy from now on
are those who die in the Lord!
So it is, says the Spirit,
for they rest from their labors


We light three candles in memory and speak the names of Matthew Wayne Shepard, Eugene H. Peterson, and  Thomas Keating.




Light of the World Phos hilaron
Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

The Welcoming Prayer (by Father Thomas Keating)

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
I welcome everything that comes to me today
because I know it's for my healing.
I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions, persons,
situations, and conditions.
I let go of my desire for power and control.
I let go of my desire for affection, esteem,
approval and pleasure.
I let go of my desire for survival and security.
I let go of my desire to change any situation,
condition, person or myself.
I open to the love and presence of God and
God's action within. Amen.


Eternal Lord God, you hold all souls in life: Give to your whole Church in paradise and on earth your light and your peace; and grant that we, following the good examples of those who have served you here and are now at rest, may at the last enter with them into your unending joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

For our brothers Matthew, Eugene, and Thomas, let us pray to our Lord Jesus 
Christ who said, "I am Resurrection and I am Life."

Lord, you consoled Martha and Mary in their distress; draw 
near to us who mourn for Matthew, Eugene, and Thomas, and dry the tears of those who  weep.
Hear us, Lord.

You wept at the grave of Lazarus, your friend; comfort us in
our sorrow.
Hear us, Lord.

You raised the dead to life; give to our brothers eternal 
life.
Hear us, Lord.

You promised paradise to the thief who repented; bring our
brothers  to the joys of heaven.
Hear us, Lord.

Our brothers were washed in Baptism and anointed 
with the Holy Spirit; give them fellowship with all your saints.
Hear us, Lord.

They were nourished with your Body and Blood; grant them a 
place at the table in your heavenly kingdom.
Hear us, Lord.

Comfort us in our sorrows at the deaths of our brothers ; let our faith be our consolation, and eternal life our 
hope.

Silence may be kept.


Lord Jesus Christ, we commend to you our brothers Matthew, Eugene, and Thomas who were reborn by water and the Spirit in Holy Baptism. 
Grant that their  deaths may recall to us your victory over death, 
and be an occasion for us to renew our trust in your Father's 
love. Give us, we pray, the faith to follow where you have led 
the way; and where you live and reign with the Father and the Holy 
Spirit, to the ages of ages. Amen.



Psalm 130 The Message (MSG)
A Pilgrim Song


130 1-2 Help, God—the bottom has fallen out of my life!
Master, hear my cry for help!
Listen hard! Open your ears!
Listen to my cries for mercy.


3-4 If you, God, kept records on wrongdoings,
who would stand a chance?
As it turns out, forgiveness is your habit,
and that’s why you’re worshiped.


5-6 I pray to God—my life a prayer—
and wait for what he’ll say and do.
My life’s on the line before God, my Lord,
waiting and watching till morning,
waiting and watching till morning.


7-8 O Israel, wait and watch for God—
with God’s arrival comes love,
with God’s arrival comes generous redemption.
No doubt about it—he’ll redeem Israel,
buy back Israel from captivity to sin.

Isaiah 25:6-10 The Message (MSG)




6-8 But here on this mountain, God-of-the-Angel-Armies

will throw a feast for all the people of the world,

A feast of the finest foods, a feast with vintage wines,

a feast of seven courses, a feast lavish with gourmet desserts.

And here on this mountain, God will banish

the pall of doom hanging over all peoples,

The shadow of doom darkening all nations.

Yes, he’ll banish death forever.

And God will wipe the tears from every face.

He’ll remove every sign of disgrace

From his people, wherever they are.

Yes! God says so!

9-10 Also at that time, people will say,

“Look at what’s happened! This is our God!

We waited for him and he showed up and saved us!

This God, the one we waited for!

Let’s celebrate, sing the joys of his salvation.

God’s hand rests on this mountain!”

A Song of Ezekiel
Ezekiel 36:24-28
I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God

1 Corinthians 15:50-58 The Message (MSG)

50 I need to emphasize, friends, that our natural, earthy lives don’t in themselves lead us by their very nature into the kingdom of God. Their very “nature” is to die, so how could they “naturally” end up in the Life kingdom?
51-57 But let me tell you something wonderful, a mystery I’ll probably never fully understand. We’re not all going to die—but we are all going to be changed. You hear a blast to end all blasts from a trumpet, and in the time that you look up and blink your eyes—it’s over. On signal from that trumpet from heaven, the dead will be up and out of their graves, beyond the reach of death, never to die again. At the same moment and in the same way, we’ll all be changed. In the resurrection scheme of things, this has to happen: everything perishable taken off the shelves and replaced by the imperishable, this mortal replaced by the immortal. Then the saying will come true:
Death swallowed by triumphant Life!
Who got the last word, oh, Death?
Oh, Death, who’s afraid of you now?
It was sin that made death so frightening and law-code guilt that gave sin its leverage, its destructive power. But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three—sin, guilt, death—are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God!
58 With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don’t hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.


A Song of Christ’s Goodness

Anselm of Canterbury

Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *

you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.

Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *

tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.

You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *

in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.

Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *

by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.

Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *

through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.

Your warmth gives life to the dead, *

your touch makes sinners righteous.

Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *

in your love and tenderness, remake us.

In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *

for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.


John 6:37-40 The Message (MSG)
35-38 Jesus said, “I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don’t really believe me. Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don’t let go. I came down from heaven not to follow my own whim but to accomplish the will of the One who sent me.
39-40 “This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father be completed—not a single detail missed—and at the wrap-up of time I have everything and everyone put together, upright and whole. This is what my Father wants: that anyone who sees the Son and trusts who he is and what he does and then aligns with him will enter real life, eternal life. My part is to put them on their feet alive and whole at the completion of time.”

A Song of Faith
1 Peter 1:3-4,18-21
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *
by divine mercy we have a new birth into a living hope;
Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, *
we have an inheritance that is imperishable in heaven.
The ransom that was paid to free us *
was not paid in silver or gold,
But in the precious blood of Christ, *
the Lamb without spot or stain.
God raised Jesus from the dead and gave him glory *
so that we might have faith and hope in God.

John 11:21-27 The Message (MSG)

21-22 Martha said, “Master, if you’d been here, my brother wouldn’t have died. Even now, I know that whatever you ask God he will give you.”
23 Jesus said, “Your brother will be raised up.”
24 Martha replied, “I know that he will be raised up in the resurrection at the end of time.”
25-26 “You don’t have to wait for the End. I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all. Do you believe this?”
27 “Yes, Master. All along I have believed that you are the Messiah, the Son of God who comes into the world.”

A Song of Our Adoption
Ephesians 1:3-10
Blessed are you, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, *
for you have blessed us in Christ
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
Before the world was made, you chose us to be yours in Christ, *
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
You destined us for adoption as your children through Jesus Christ,
*
according to the good pleasure of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace, *
that you have freely given us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace *
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight, *
the mystery of your will,
According to your good pleasure which you set forth in Christ, *
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To gather together all things in Christ, *
things in heaven and things on earth.

Psalm 121
1 I lift up my eyes to the hills; *
from where is my help to come?
2 My help comes from the LORD, *
the maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot be moved *
and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
4 Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel *
shall neither slumber nor sleep;
5 The LORD himself watches over you; *
the LORD is your shade at your right hand,
6 So that the sun shall not strike you by day, *
nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; *
it is he who shall keep you safe.
8 The LORD shall watch over your going out and
your coming in, *
from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd;*
I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures*
and leads me beside still waters.
3 He revives my soul*
and guides me along right pathways for his Name’s sake.
4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no evil;*
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who
trouble me;*
you have anointed my head with oil,
and my cup is running over.
6 Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days
of my life,*
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
The Lord’s Prayer or the alternative is said. From A New Zealand Prayer Book
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
Or
Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples
of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.

Prayers for the Tender Souls

We pray this night for our mental health professionals and all of our mentally ill family members who have fallen through the cracks.

We pray for better early interventions for those with mental illnesses and that everyone will be able to listen for their unspoken cries for help.

We pray for the marginalized who feel outcast. May we lovingly bring them into the circle and show them how You love us.

We pray for all of our Family members who have PTSD that they may receive care and the necessary services that will help them prosper and live productive lives.

We pray for our homeless family members who live outdoors. We pray that there may be adequate shelters and a variety of places to live that will meet their needs. We pray that we may be sensitive to their needs when we see them as we walk, shop, and are in our cars.

We pray for the safety of all the vulnerable members of our society.

We pray for better gun laws that will both protect our family members in our community and the persons who aren't suitable gun owners.

We pray that all churches may be truly sanctuaries for everyone and that there won't be a litmus test required to belong. We pray that all faith leaders will give the least of these the the security and feeling that they are loved, accepted, and that their dignity is respected regardless of who they are. Help everyone know who they are and whose they are!

We pray that there may be social service ministries in our urban centers that are non-threatening and available 24/7/365. May we be guided to think outside the box and minister to our family members who need these services.

We pray for compassionate immigration reform and that families may be kept together.
We pray for all of our medical professionals who work in the ER this night and those who work in the Mortuary and Hospice ministries.

We pray for an end to violence against women and children.

God help us to be better at listening, watching, and being family to those who are different that ourselves.
May we see you in their eyes and love them as you love us.

God we lift up these our prayers and the prayers that we have been requested to pray this day to you !
Amen.


The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, *
according to thy word;
For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, *
which thou hast prepared before the face of all people,
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles, *
and to be the glory of thy people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

A Prayer attributed to St. Francis
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen

Rest eternal grant to them, O Lord;
And let light perpetual shine upon them.
 
May their souls, and the souls of all the departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
 

The God of peace, who brought again from the dead our 
Lord Jesus Christ, the great Shepherd of the sheep, through 
the blood of the eternal covenant: Make us perfect in 
every good work to do his will, working in us that which is 
well-pleasing in his sight; through Jesus Christ, to whom be 
glory for ever and ever. Amen.


++++

Good Night Dear  Family of Love! I love you! I give God thanks for you this day and always.


With love and blessings!

Sara

Resources
Bible Gateway -The Message
A to Z quotes
A New Zealand Prayer Book
Book of Common Prayer
Enriching our Worship 1 and 2
Walk With Me On our Journey
Other Sources as noted. 





A

No comments:

Post a Comment