Friday, October 12, 2018

Welcome to our online retreat and prayer vigil weekend:




Good Evening Dear Ones!

Welcome to our online retread and prayer vigil weekend. This weekend we will spend time together  in prayer and meditation for unity and peace among all the peoples. Our vigils will begin tonight and carry on through Monday Evening.

 Here is this weekend's schedule:
Tonight:
We will do our Worry Free/ Sabbath - Box, Jar and Journal work to lay down all the yuckys of life and allow our souls to be freely at rest.
Prepare our schedules for what is completely necessary this weekend. Prayerfully Prioritize. 
Get rest, unplug, and seek to be in the presence of God.
Turn on your porch light to make vigil.

Tomorrow:
Decide what is important.
Take time for outside prayer walking and meditation.
Journey deeper into what the ponderings and scripture readings below are saying to you and calling you to do.
Rest, relax, and renew. Drink from the living waters that are coursing through your veins. 
In the evening light a candle or turn on your porch light to make vigil.
Prayerfully prioritize your day of Sabbath on Sunday.

Sunday: 
Make Sabbath, enter into a time of vigil.
Create your own Blue Laws
Unplug and enjoy the silence. 
Return to God's Cathedral of Life.
Conclude your Sabbath day in prayer and making vigil.

Let us engage in our mindfulness time with these:

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Breathing Exercises with Thich Nhat Hanh
“*Breathing in, I know this is my in-breath.
Breathing out, I know this is my out-breath.*

It's very simple, but very effective. When we bring our attention to our in-breath and our out-breath, we stop thinking of the past; we stop thinking of the future; and we begin to come home to ourselves...Don't think this practice doesn't apply to you. If we don't go home to ourselves, we can't be at our best and serve the world in the best way... Our quality of being is the foundation for the quality of our actions.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of my whole body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of my whole body.*

Breathing mindfully brings us back to our bodies. We have to acknowledge our bodies first because tension and suffering accumulate in the body. Breathing in this way, we create a kind of family reunion between mind and body. The mind becomes an embodied mind.
...We can't do our best if we don't know to release the tension and pain in ourselves. 

*Breathing in, I'm aware of the tension in my body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of the tension in my body.*

When we look at the suffering around us, at poverty, violence, or climate change, we may want to solve these things immediately. We want to do something. But to do something effectively and ethically, we need to be our best selves in order to be able to handle the suffering...
*Breathing in, I am aware of a painful feeling arising.
Breathing out, I release the painful feeling.*

This is a nonviolent and gentle way to help our bodies release tension and pain. It is possible to practice mindful breathing in order to produce a feeling of joy, a feeling of happiness. When we are well-nourished and know how to create joy, then we are strong enough to handle the deep pain within ourselves and the world.”
― Thich Nhat HanhGood Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society

Ponderings!


"If you care anything about your personal security, you should first of all pray for order and tranquility throughout the four quarters of the land." ~ Nichiren

"Prayer is the preface to the book of Christian living; the text of the new life sermon; the girding on of the armor for battle; the pilgrim's preparation for his journey. It must be supplemented by action or it amounts to nothing." ~ Austin Phelps

"If you light a lantern for another, it will also brighten your own way" ~ Nichiren

"We are never more like Christ than in prayers of intercession." ~ Austin Phelps

"Never let life's hardships disturb you. No one can avoid problems, not even saints or sages." ~ Nichiren


"When God forgives, He at once restores." ~ Theodore Epp

"Summoning up the courage to take action is always the same regardless of how seemingly big or small the challenge. What may look like a small act of courage is courage nonetheless. The important thing is to be willing to take a step forward." ~ Nichiren

"I think it's about time we gave up religion and got back to God." ~ Lenny Bruce

"That which you give to another will become your own sustenance; if you light a lamp for another, your own way will be lit." ~ Nichiren

"There are never enough I Love You's." ~ Lenny Bruce

Achsah waits for Othniel

Capture a city:
let us prove God there.
Give me a field,
though dry, unpromising and bare.
Sink me a well
to water all this land:
let me draw deep.
And feed me from your hand.
Show me a cave,
remind me of the past:
embrace my exile.
Tell me I’m loved at last.
Safe in the deepening darkness,
uncover a heart that sings.
Feet planted firmly in the ground,
release the nether springs!

Andy Raine, based loosely on Judges 1:12-15


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Let us light our candles and pray the words of the Beatitudes! as our vigil prayer today




MATTHEW 5:1-11


THE BEATITUDES

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
 ‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
 ‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
 ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
 ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 ‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez

A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


141 Domine, clamavi

1 O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly; *
hear my voice when I cry to you.

2 Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, *
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

3 Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,
and guard the door of my lips; *
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.

4 Let me not be occupied in wickedness with evildoers, *
nor eat of their choice foods.

5 Let the righteous smite me in friendly rebuke;
let not the oil of the unrighteous anoint my head; *
for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds.

6 Let their rulers be overthrown in stony places, *
that they may know my words are true.

7 As when a plowman turns over the earth in furrows, *
let their bones be scattered at the mouth of the grave.

8 But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God; *
in you I take refuge;
do not strip me of my life.

9 Protect me from the snare which they have laid for me *
and from the traps of the evildoers.

10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets, *
while I myself escape.

143 Domine, exaudi

1 Lord, hear my prayer,
and in your faithfulness heed my supplications; *
answer me in your righteousness.

2 Enter not into judgment with your servant, *
for in your sight shall no one living be justified.

3 For my enemy has sought my life;
he has crushed me to the ground; *
he has made me live in dark places like those who
are long dead.

4 My spirit faints within me; *
my heart within me is desolate.

5 I remember the time past;
I muse upon all your deeds; *
I consider the works of your hands.

6 I spread out my hands to you; *
my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.

7 O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me; *
do not hide your face from me
or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.

8 Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
for I put my trust in you; *
show me the road that I must walk,
for I lift up my soul to you.

9 Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord, *
for I flee to you for refuge.

10 Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God; *
let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

11 Revive me, O Lord, for your Name's sake; *
for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

(12 Of your goodness, destroy my enemies
and bring all my foes to naught, *
for truly I am your servant.)

Micah 3:9-4:5


9 Hear this, you rulers of the house of Jacob
   and chiefs of the house of Israel,
who abhor justice
   and pervert all equity, 
10 who build Zion with blood
   and Jerusalem with wrong! 
11 Its rulers give judgement for a bribe,
   its priests teach for a price,
   its prophets give oracles for money;
yet they lean upon the Lord and say,
   ‘Surely the Lord is with us!
   No harm shall come upon us.’ 
12 Therefore because of you
   Zion shall be ploughed as a field;
Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins,
   and the mountain of the house a wooded height. 

4In days to come
   the mountain of the Lord’s house
shall be established as the highest of the mountains,
   and shall be raised up above the hills.
Peoples shall stream to it, 
2   and many nations shall come and say:
‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
   to the house of the God of Jacob;
that he may teach us his ways
   and that we may walk in his paths.’
For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,
   and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. 
3 He shall judge between many peoples,
   and shall arbitrate between strong nations far away;
they shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
   and their spears into pruning-hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
   neither shall they learn war any more; 
4 but they shall all sit under their own vines and under their own fig trees,
   and no one shall make them afraid;
   for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken. 


5 For all the peoples walk,
   each in the name of its god,
but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God
   for ever and ever. 

A Song of Ezekiel
Ezekiel 36:24-28

I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God.


Luke 8:1-15

Some Women Accompany Jesus

8Soon afterwards he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. The twelve were with him, 2as well as some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, 3and Joanna, the wife of Herod’s steward Chuza, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them* out of their resources.

The Parable of the Sower

4 When a great crowd gathered and people from town after town came to him, he said in a parable: 5‘A sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell on the path and was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. 6Some fell on the rock; and as it grew up, it withered for lack of moisture. 7Some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew with it and choked it. 8Some fell into good soil, and when it grew, it produced a hundredfold.’ As he said this, he called out, ‘Let anyone with ears to hear listen!’

The Purpose of the Parables

9 Then his disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, ‘To you it has been given to know the secrets* of the kingdom of God; but to others I speak* in parables, so that
“looking they may not perceive,
   and listening they may not understand.”

The Parable of the Sower Explained

11 ‘Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12The ones on the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13The ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe only for a while and in a time of testing fall away. 14As for what fell among the thorns, these are the ones who hear; but as they go on their way, they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature. 15But as for that in the good soil, these are the ones who, when they hear the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patient endurance.

A Song of Christ’s Goodness
Anselm of Canterbury
Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.
Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.
You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.
Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.
Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.
Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.
Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.
In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.


Bonus Scripture Readings for Meditation tomorrow.

13 October

Psalm 37:1–9 Do not fret because of the wicked; do not be envious of wrongdoers, 2 for they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb. 3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; so you will live in the land, and enjoy security. 4 Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. 5 Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. 6 He will make your vindication shine like the light, and the justice of your cause like the noonday. 7 Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him; do not fret over those who prosper in their way, over those who carry out evil devices. 8 Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath. Do not fret—it leads only to evil. 9 For the wicked shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.

Exodus 16:8–11 And Moses said, ‘When the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening and your fill of bread in the morning, because the Lord has heard the complaining that you utter against him—what are we? Your complaining is not against us but against the Lord.’ 9 Then Moses said to Aaron, ‘Say to the whole congregation of the Israelites, “Draw near to the Lord, for he has heard your complaining.”’ 10 And as Aaron spoke to the whole congregation of the Israelites, they looked towards the wilderness, and the glory of the Lord appeared in the cloud. 11 The Lord spoke to Moses and said, 12 ‘I have heard the complaining of the Israelites; say to them, “At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall have your fill of bread; then you shall know that I am the Lord your God.”’

John 16:33  I have said this to you, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!’


The Collect for the Feast day of St. Wilfrid



Lord, give us a heart for those who have not yet put their trust in you. Make us fearless, but let us share Your good news with humility and graciousness. Show us that sometimes it is better to take a middle way, rather than destroying what has already been done in Your name. Weave all our life’s experiences into Your good purposes – even our failures – gracious Lord. Amen.

Now as we turn our hearts towards our time of prayer  we ask that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit be in our midst.  We give thanks for their loving and sustaining presence in our hearts, bodies, minds, and spirits and most especially in our lives.

Silence and reflection for a space.


We pray especially this night for all those who have been affected by gun violence of any kind. We pray for the families, victims, and the communities. We also lift up the victims of domestic violence and all who mourn their losses. 

Silence and reflection for a space.


We pray this night for peace in God's fragile and broken world. May we as Children of God become blessed peacemakers and help soothe and care for the tenderhearted who are living in fear, terror, and adversity.


Silence and reflection for a space.



We pray this night for all those who are in need of healing of body, mind, and spirit. We pray for the healing of those who are living with chronic and mental illnesses. May we as their caregivers and friends offer them solace and a soft place in which to fall. We remember them now by name____________.


Silence and reflection for a space.



We pray this night for all those who are the least of these that  they may find shelter, food, and clothing. Give us courage to step up and help . 




Silence and reflection for a space.



We pray for all agencies and organizations that help minister to the needs of children, women, those who have been abused, chronic disease research and patient care.  We remember especially this month: All Breast Cancer foundations, A.I.D.S. foundations, and Alzheimer's foundations.


Silence and reflection for a space.



We pray for all faith communities and the clergy who minister to them . We pray for a climate of love, dignity, and respect for all our family members who differ from us and that we may grow in love and unity towards and with them.


Silence and reflection for a space.



We pray and give thanks for all Caregivers: Remembering : Family members, Clergy, home health, hospice workers, mortuary ministries, EMTs., Police, Firefighters, Troops, day care workers, teachers and anyone else who provides care and protection for us. 


Silence and reflection for a space.



We pray this night for all refugees,immigrants, captives, political prisoners, prisoners, those who are victims of human trafficking and slavery. and all who are in danger and have been victims and survivors of domestic violence and abuse.


Silence and reflection for a space.



We especially pray for all the leaders of  the nations of the world and especially our President that they may do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with their God and that they may have the courage to lead in times of trouble and in times of plenty.


Silence and reflection for a space.


We add our additional prayers, thanksgivings, remembrances, and celebrations to you  Lord Jesus as we pray lovingly in their names  and ours ________________ We pray these our prayers in Jesus most holy and life giving name. Amen.

Or these

Let us spend time in silence and prepare ourselves to be God's voice in a broken world. 

God of justice we pray that we may have courage to speak truth to power.


God of compassion we pray that we may love others not just in our words but in our deeds.


God of kindness we pray that we may use our voices to heal, comfort, and lovingly support.


God of peace we pray that we may use our voices as your beloved children to make peace and not wage war in this world.


God of all people, we pray that we may be the voices who seek to protect and serve the most vulnerable of our family members.


God of justice we pray that we may we have the courage to Stand Up, Step up, and Speak Up for all of your children who need us to act and not be silent. 


God of Love we pray that we may use the Love Energy that is within our Heart Homes to be your Light to the world. May we shine your light in dark places so that our family members may see and be guided away from the darkness that infects our world.


God of healing we pray that we may seek to use our voices to heal and not harm.


God of creation we pray that we may use our voices to speak for good conservation practices to heal and renew the face of the earth and respect all living things in your Cathedral of Life.


God of diversity, we pray that we may be voices of unity and that we may seek to come to know one another and respect the dignity of all beings.


God and creator of us all may we seek to follow the examples of Jesus and John the Baptist and speak, love, act, and pray and be mindful of the needs and concerns of others this day and always! 


God we offer our own voices in prayer and thanksgiving remembering____________________.


We lift up these our prayers in the name of Jesus the Good Shepherd whose voice we hear and who calls us all by our names. Amen. 
A Prayer for Healing

We join with the earth and with each other
To bring new life to the land
To restore the waters
To refresh the air
We join with the earth and with each other
To renew the forests
To care for the plants
To protect the creatures
We join with the earth and with each other
To celebrate the seas
To rejoice the sunlight
To sing the song of the stars
We join with the earth and with each other
To recreate the human community
To promote justice and peace
To remember our children
We join with the earth and with each other
We join together as many and diverse expressions
Of one loving mystery, for the healing of earth and the renewal of all life
- National Institute of Open Schooling, India 4




Celtic Peace Prayer from Antiquity

Deep Peace of the running wave to you
Deep Peace of the flowing air to you
Deep Peace of the quiet earth to you
Deep Peace of the shining stars to you
Deep peace of the shades of night to you
Moon and stars always giving Light to you.
- Celtic Peace Prayer




“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”


― Teresa of Ávila


May I Be At Peace

May I be at peace.
May my heart remain open.
May I be aware of my true nature.
May I be healed.
May I be a source of healing to others.
May I dwell in the Breath of God.
- Saint Teresa of Avila




The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis

Luke 2:29-32

Lord, you now have set your servant free *
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, *
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations, *
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.
(source: from Saint Clare)

Bonus:

Follow the three R's: - Respect for self. - Respect for others. - Responsibility for all your actions.
Dalai Lama

Today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly, live.
Dalai Lama

Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.
Dalai Lama

My message is always the same: to cultivate and practice love, kindness, compassion and tolerance.
Dalai Lama


Water Flows

Water flows over these hands.
May I use them skillfully
to preserve our precious planet.
 - Thich Nhat Hahn


Being Peace

If we are peaceful.
If we are happy.
We can smile and blossom
Like a flower.
And everyone
In our family,
Our entire society
Will benefit
From our peace.
- Thich Nhat Hanh

Our bonus compline from the Northumbria Community.

Friday – The Boisil Compline
Boisil, Prior of Melrose Abbey, died in 661. Bede described him as a ‘priest of great virtue and prophetic spirit.’ Boisil, on his first meeting with Cuthbert, who was to be his pupil, exclaimed, ‘Behold, the servant of the Lord!’ – recognizing the call of God on the young man’s life.If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.
+ (silently)
* O Lord, You will keep us safe
and protect us forever.
I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.
* I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.
* Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.
* Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.
Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.
* Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.
* Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in His peace.
God with me protecting,
the Lord with me directing,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.
* In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.
+++++

Good Night Dear Ones! May we all find rest for our souls and feel God's gentle presence enfolding us  in God's gentle arms this night and always. I love you and give thanks to God for you this day and always.

Rest gentle in God's Love Dear Ones,

Sara

Resources
Northumbria Community
Oremus  Bible Browser
Satucket Lectionary
In Lak 'Ech - Luis Valdez
Quote Sites for prayers
Walk With Me On Our Journey.
Enriching Our Worship
Book of Common Prayer
Who was St. Wilfrid? Here is his story from the Northumbrian Community.
Wilfrid (633-709) October 12th

Wilfrid went to Lindisfarne as a fourteen-year old pageboy, attending a sick nobleman. He joined the school there, learned to read and write, learned Latin, and indeed, the foundations of his faith. Aidan (see August 31st) was still alive then, though he died two or three years later. Nevertheless, Wilfrid resented the years he spent on Lindisfarne and, when he could, set out for Rome. He fell in love with the city and longed for its ways and the wealth it had to offer. Power, prestige and recognition were his goals – but only so that the Church would be taken more seriously as a force for good.

When the Synod of Whitby was held to resolve differences over the date of Easter and the monks’ tonsure, Wilfrid was Bishop of York. By then he had spent many years in Italy and Gaul, and he stood on the Roman side of the argument. Unfortunately he won in such a way that the missionaries from Iona felt slighted. He sneered at the Celtic Christians’ ‘ignorance’ and ‘awkwardness’ and misrepresented the issues involved, effectively betraying those who had nurtured him on Lindisfarne. Far from arguing for some kind of united practice, Wilfrid spoke rudely of Columba (see June 9th) and deprecatingly of the entire Celtic tradition. As a result, the Iona missionaries withdrew from England, taking many English monks with them. Much of what Oswald (see August 5th) and Aidan had built was now to be devastated. Many leading figures in the church in Northumbria opposed Wilfrid from this time on.

At various times he was deposed from his office as bishop, exiled and imprisoned, but these troubles were mostly of his own making. Shipwrecked in Frisia (now in the north of the Netherlands), he won the love of the local people by his knowledge of fishing, gained on Lindisfarne, and he was able to evangelise them effectively. Once, in exile, he also evangelised the fierce South Saxons, a farming people whose crops had failed. He taught them to harvest the sea, and also baptised large numbers of them. By the grace of God, his time at Lindisfarne had not been wasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment